Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2009 Subaru Forester

Comments

• h2k2f2h2k2f2 Member Posts: 44
    I would agree with you that some of the improvements were past due. Fortunately, some of them set the Forester apart from leading competitors. For example, the hood struts are a upscale feature that the RAV4 and CR-V lack.
  • kurtamaxxxguykurtamaxxxguy Member Posts: 1,798
    "But they also added VDC

And deleted the rear LSD. It would be interesting to see an 08 and an 09 tackle the inclined traction test to see which handles it better. "

All I've seen is how the '09 Forester handled the Catalina Island hill climbs. They appeared to do well, compared to the CR-V.

Subaru USA, for whatever reason, is not giving me a clear answer wrt the traction issues that might occur when you follow their manual's VDC directions. Perhaps they don't yet __know__ what the vehicle will do? Perhaps their Japanese headquarters will be more forthcoming with info in future?
  • xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,786
    Kurt - this has been a problem for a few years now, but I thought it was mostly relegated to the Outback/Legacy models. How is your glove box? Quiet? Thank the manufacturer for that, if it is! Haha.

Anyway, check out this TSB. Of course, it may not be the same rattle on yours, but my '07 and '08 Outbacks both had this rattle. It is intermittent, tends to happen (initially) over stiff bumps, and begins to evolve into a marble rattling around under the dash. This procedure was done on both cars and the problem was gone both times.

Far more significant on mine, though, were the glove box rattles. Horrible buggers, and the dealership never did manage to alleviate the problem.
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • batman47batman47 Member Posts: 606
    OK mate:

You can not stop the advance of technology . It is quite known that car manufacturing are going 6-speed and even to 7-speed just to be more economical in petrol.

However you may try this link

http://www.cargurus.com/Cars/viewArticle.action?site=122198

It said:

The only unfortunate hand-me-down that the Forester has picked up from the Impreza is the latter's four-speed automatic. Now that its rivals boast five- or six-speed automatics or even a continuously variable transmission, the Forester's four-speed auto seems a generation behind the times. Sure, it only generates around a 15 percent efficiency loss compared to the five-speed manual transmission, but surely customers will expect something more. Subaru does build a good five-speed automatic that's seen in the Legacy, Outback and Tribeca, but one of our sources tells us that Subaru just doesn't have the production capacity to include the Forester on the list. Expect a five-speed auto on the face-lifted Forester in 2010.

Please don't get me wrong I like the 2009 Forester and I still do not make my mind up between the Forester or the Outlander and I don't have the passion of Subaru owners
  • p0926p0926 Member Posts: 4,423
    More gears do not necessarily a better transmission make. As has been pointed out, a well matched 4-speed is a better option than a 5-speed that is prone to gear hunting. And having more gears doesn't automatically mean that you're going to get better gas mileage, among other things, it depends on the final drive ratios.

On the other hand, Subaru just doesn't have the production capacity to include the Forester does certainly sound plausible and regardless of how well matched the 4-speed is, buyer perception is everything and most buyers believe that the more gears the better.

15 percent efficiency loss compared to the five-speed manual transmission

Love that statement! Yet another reason for me to prefer manuals :P

-Frank
  • mfletou1mfletou1 Member Posts: 508
    Kurt--

www.fitzmall.com

Learn, live it, love it.

'09 Foresters at or $100-$200 above invoice. And they are totally legit.
    Thanks for the TSB , xwesx.
    I'll bet Subaru did something wrong with '09 so the same thing's in the Forester - the noise is coming right from where that center-most alignment pin probably is (I confirmed that by pressing on dash front_center and got loud creak as result), and where the hooks might be.
    I'll let my dealer know what is going on and see if it can get fixed before it evolves into a bunch of marbles.

I've also looked very closely at the Forester's glove box. If there is squeaking going on there, I've not found it, unless it's in the hydraulic cylinder's hinge.
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    C'mon now, fess up.

You've already decided on the Outlander and you're just trying to justify a decision you've already made.

In fact, you are now trolling the Honda Pilot boards, telling folks there you're shopping for a Pilot. I'm waiting for a "Please don't get me wrong I like the 2009 Forester 2009 Pilot..."

You're not fooling anyone.

Oh, and when you say "You can not stop the advance of technology ", you're absolutely right.

Mitsubishi announced they will add a DSG-style automatic to the V6 models next year, and IMHO you'd be a fool not to wait for that tremendous upgrade. If you don't wait, your transmission will be outdated by the end of the year.
    The VIP price is just word-of-mouth, plus the deal's not available yet, anyway.
    But they also added VDC, brake assist, curtain airbags, steering wheel audio controls, manual mode on the automatic transmission, active head restraints, hood struts, tire pressure monitoring, trip computer, telescoping steering wheel, improved fuel economy (when adjusted to the more realistic 2008 standards), reclining rear seat, folding rear tray, more ground clearance, more interior room, etc. So, depending upon how you look at it, it's actually a net gain.

I'll add a couple of things:

* dual exhaust outlets that look better, symmetrical
    * wider opening doors for easier ingress/egress

The latter was an issue with my 98. Narrow doors, plus a deep foot well made it tricky to get in the rear seats. Not so with the 2009.

I can also add to Frank's list of things that disappeared, to be fair:

* bumper protector (my 98 had it)
    * dash-top lidded storage bin
    I haven't made up my mind yet mate.

I have $35,000 to spend. If you extend your search you will see that I have also made some queries about 2009 Volkswagen Tiguan, 2009 Honda Pilot, 2009 Kia Borrego, 2009 Dodge Journey, 2009 Subaru Forester, and 2008 Mitsubishi Outlander.

I am not patriotic to any of those makes, just looking what will fulfill my interest and value for money.

Lets just hear about finding "faults" on this new Forester. For example the 2008 Honda Pilot has a lot of owner complaints about a vibration problem in this car. I will buy a SUV vehicle about June/July..this year.
    I've posted a fair bit here comparing '08 Outback to '09 Forester.

Faults I have found so far in '09 Forester are dashboard creaking, some minor misalignment in doors (look real close and some of the door curves do not match each other), and it's using a lot of gas for its size (17 - 18 mpg is best so far; again, turbo version, not fully broken in).

As for Tiguan, looked promising but VW has had too many reliability problems for me to trust a first year VW, and unless you have a great dealer nearby, getting good service and part support could be an issue. Their AWD will be some form of Haldex system.
  • rshollandrsholland Member Posts: 19,788
    and it's using a lot of gas for its size (17 - 18 mpg is best so far; again, turbo version, not fully broken in).

That is a lot. I just filled up my WRX today and recorded a bit over 26 mpg. I've never gotten below 21 mpg for a tank average.

I wouldn't expect you to get that kind of mileage, as the F-XT is heavier, it's an automatic, as well as being less aero-friendly.

Bob
  • tntmythtntmyth Member Posts: 70
    I still have not evolved to be convinced that I need a 5 or 6 speed transmission. although I do understand that the more gears, theoretically gets better mileage. Probably since I have not yet had an automatic with more than 4 speeds. I have driven a Dodge Caliber we rented with CVT and the transmission as the car accelerated felt mushly like a sewing machine. My wife and I did not like it. We missed the sensation of the shifting of the gears. Could not get used to it over a week rental.
    I have read that with more power like on the Nissan Murano 6 cylinder, it is more acceptable.
    Someone mentioned that Subaru gets their 5 speed auto transmission from Nissan. Would the new 5 speed auto transmission anticipated in the 2010 Forester be as good and durable as the existing 4 speed they are using? Is there a potential downside? Would would we really get better gas mileage? Is it a worthy reason to wait for the 2010's? Do you think Subaru will risk sales by putting a CVT exclusively in their cars? In one test I saw the Murano with CVT could not even begin to make it up a hill that the Forester ran right up.
    The CVT appears to be very good with engine 6-cyl and above. However when the CVT is used in a 4-cyl engines, the engine noise is noticeable when climbing, for example or overtaking. I said this in a Rogue (Nissan) forum and the Rogue patriotic almost took my head off.

The same problem has been noticed with the 4-cyl Outlanders that are implemented with CVT (ES, SE). Equally, the 2009 Nissan Murano 6-cyl has CVT but the noise of the 4-cyl are not in the 6-cyl Murano. Many reviews about the Murano say so. Generally they praise the Nissan engine as the best in the world. Some people like the peculiar noise others don’t.

Furthermore, the mechanism of the CVT is very different that the mechanism of 5 or 6 or 7 speed gears. I like traditional SUV (let say something box shape) and the Murano is not in my short list of prospective SUV to buy. Although a few disagree, more number of speed gears is better for petrol economy, specially for long journeys, where engaging the transmission at the higher gear will give you more mileages. I say this because it happens to me.

The 2008 Pilot has Variable Cylinder Management (VCM) where the engine switch from 6-cyl to 3-cyl when required (The 2009 Pilot 6-5-4-3) this is an alternative technology. However a great number of 2008 Pilots have complained about ghost vibrations, suspension problems and even premature brake discs replacement.
  • tkaytkay Member Posts: 99
    Same problem I had with my Sienna. Can be very annoying,and it won't go away. Spend 30K on a vehicle and it's like they don't test them very well. would even B--ch about door alignment (maybe they will offer you something) What they did with the Toyota was take off the dash and lay a foundation (I think some kind of mat cloth) and put the dash back on and that did the trick. GOOD LUCK!
  • dcwestbydcwestby Member Posts: 29
    CVTs... Many of you seem to forget one of the first vehicles that had a CVT here in the American markets.. The Ford Freestyle. I had a Freestyle for a couple years, and I really liked it. The main power of a CVT is the computer and the software within. The Freestyle also had a torque converter as well.

Granted the vehicle was slightly over 2 tons in weight, but once it actually started out, you could certainly suprise a few people with the acceleration it could hand out. Theres been a couple times where I've passed a slowly accelerating semi on an onramp[2 lane fade to one] using the freestyle's acceleration.

Consequently, when I got my 08 forester last october, I'm pushing it very nearly the same way I did the freestyle as far as acceleration. doesnt help mileage too much I suppose. In my mind, gears are more complex then the CVT method. One car I had, the trans locked into first gear once [granted, it had 100kmiles on it]. And thats the reason I liked the CVT because there are far fewer mechanical components that could cause problems in the future.

Admittedly, it could be a form of "exercise" for the geared transmission to suddenly accelerate from 30mph to 50 before snapping back into 3rd or 4th gear. But I dont know my way around cars mechanically that well so yeah. I like simpler the better myself. Yet, I too agree that 5 speeds would be best optimum for fuel economy purposes.

CVT vs geared isnt so much the issue as it is actually driving habits and how you treat the accelerator in start from stop or get up and go situations. I myself dont get as much fuel econ because I tend towards acceleration[entering freeway]. Even though we could go on about acceleration and transmissions for a long while, this thread is about the new forester...

I had my first impressions of it yesterday. and I must say that I need to perhaps talk about renting one for a day or something in order to see if its truly worth the extra monthly payment cost. I like the layout in someways, but I would prefer the cupholders beside the gear selector rather then the p brake, because the center storage where the aux input resides is a bit of a reach. the headroom is a plus, but the manual seat adjustment version seems to offer less legroom for the driver then the power seat version. I love the blue/black hud instruments. I only wish thered be the ETE [estim. time to empty, or estim miles to empty] and the other fuel estimation gadgets besides average mpg. I think someone knows what I'm talking about as there was one category of fuel usage that seemed the most accurate other then average, but the exact name escapes me.

One thing I didnt get to do which I should is test the 09 on the freeway, because that is where I seem to spend half my time driving.

One thing I'm curious about, is the pzev [partial zero emmission vehicle] how does that work? is there some methos to which the engine uses the fumes to reuse or convert some of that spent energy into something engine usable or what?
    17.9 mpg, per latest fill-up calculation for '09 Forester XT.

Most driving is to and from work. This involves going down a half mile, 600 foot high mountain, then city driving of up to 45 mph with many traffic lights. Going home is the reverse (all the lights, then up the hill). Temperatures have averaged 32 to 55 degrees. A lot of rain, a tiny bit of snow.

FYI, my former '04 Malibu Maxx was guzzling gas under same conditions here (guess was Maxx got about 18 mpg - I was filling tank a lot more in Portland OR). In S. Calif. , where most of my driving was Freeway, the Maxx got 24 mpg.

Wrt Forester XT, its tip-in, while smooth, is more aggressive than the Maxx (but less, fortunately, than Outback in Sport Sharp mode). A light foot's needed to save gas :shades:

Also, the XT's trans does a good job trying to match itself to speed and engine loads. Sport shift really makes a difference (it will hold gears longer and let the car downshift faster in passing situations). However, it's an adaptive trans, and Subaru warns that disconnecting battery or transmission services "reset" the transmission so that it has to re-learn your driving style.
    Personally, I view CVTs as still evolving technology. They very well may be the way of the future but I'm not yet ready to anoint them thusly.

5 speeds would be best optimum for fuel economy purposes

Based on what? If 5 speeds are good, shouldn't 6 speeds be better and 7 speeds even better? Much more important than the number of gears is how well matched the transmission is with the engine and how the transmission is programmed. A well designed auto transmission shifts smoothly, quickly and correctly anticipates which gear you need to be in.

-Frank
  • dstew1dstew1 Member Posts: 275
    From nabisco:
    http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showpost.php?p=21789696&postcount=1

DEPARTMENT: Service Department
    DATE: 04/04/2008

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

APRIL 4, 2008
    IMMEDIATE STOP SALE ORDER
    ALL SUBARU DEALERS

We regret to inform you that we must place an immediate stop sale order on all of the 2008/2009 Subaru Impreza and Forester vehicles equipped with a 2.5L Turbo Engine produced with the beginning chassis number and later as shown below.
    Model Starting Chassis Number Production Date

Forester 701045 2008/01/08
    Impreza 523363 (SEDAN)/825183 (HATCH)2008/01/08

The reason for this immediate Quality Assurance action is that there have been several reports of “Engine Knocking Noise” from other markets on vehicles produced after the production dates listed.

Initial investigation confirms an internal wear issue on the failed units.

In the interest of preventing any possibility of failures for our customers, we have chosen to isolate any potentially affected vehicles by ceasing sales of the potentially affected units until the root cause and correction can be identified.

All the other displacement engines and the 2.5L Natural Aspirated Engine are excluded from this action.

Your region/distributor will be contacting you with a detailed list of affected vehicles assigned to your dealership. However, dealer trades cannot be tracked so please be aware of the affected VIN range.

If you have a vehicle in inventory that falls into the affected vehicle range, please ensure that your sales and service staff are immediately notified that the unit is un-saleable until further notice from SOA or your region/distributor.

If any of those vehicles has an unusual engine noise, please notify the SOA Technical Helpline immediately with all of the details and submit an E-QMR.

Should a customer bring an affected vehicle into your service department for an unusual engine noise, please immediately arrange that they are given the use of a clean SSLP vehicle and notify the Technical Helpline and submit an E-QMR.

You will be contacted shortly thereafter on how to proceed.

We are still investigating whether any of the SIA produced Legacy Outback turbo vehicles are affected. If any action is needed on the SIA vehicles, you will be notified early next week.
    Thanks for update, dstew1.

Once again I am kicking myself in the A__ for buying a first year car. I gambled Subaru could rise above that, but obviously not.

No more 1st years, ever.
    I don't ever recall Subaru issuing a stop sale order before. Small comfort I know but at least it looks like they're being proactive.

-Frank
    I visited my selling dealer to schedule a service appointment for creaky dash and they confirmed the Turbo issue.
    The warning sign, they said, is if you hear a clunk or knocking during or just after the engine has started up.
    They had no info as to what the problem actually is.
    This only applies to the Turbo engine in '09 Forester and Impreza.
    Hopefully Subaru is just being overly cautious and the problem only affects a limited number of vehicles
    KMaxGuy hopefully you can catch a break! Good luck bro!
    from same web site as before posting the bulletin:

"APRIL 4, 2008
    IMMEDIATE STOP SALE ORDER AMENDMENT 01 04:08 EST
    ALL SUBARU DEALERS

We regret to inform you that we must place an immediate stop sale order on all of the 2008/2009 Subaru Impreza and Forester vehicles equipped with a 2.5L Turbo Engine produced with the beginning chassis number and later as shown below.
    Model Starting Chassis Number Production Date

Forester 700175
    Impreza 507657 (SEDAN)/800140 (HATCH)2007/11/01

This is a correction of the earlier VIN set:

**INCORRECT**Forester 701045 2008/01/08**INCORRECT**
    **INCORRECT**Impreza 523363 (SEDAN)/825183 (HATCH)2008/01/08**INCORRECT**

The reason for this immediate Quality Assurance action is that there have been several reports of “Engine Knocking Noise” from other markets on vehicles produced after the production dates listed.

Initial investigation confirms an internal piston ring wear issue on the failed units. This investigation shows failure in material quality or incorrect material altogether where in extreme cases the rings have fragmented.

In the interest of preventing any possibility of failures for our customers, we have chosen to isolate any potentially affected vehicles by ceasing sales of the potentially affected units until the root cause and correction can be identified. "

Another thread from there says:

"It looks like 5 months of 2.5L turbo engine production in Japan might have incorporated the defective rings. And Subaru is still trying to determine whether those defective rings went to SIA's engine assembly line. This will be expensive to cure."

My gawd....
    :surprise: :sick: :lemon:
  • waiting4tiguanwaiting4tiguan Member Posts: 4
    Thanks for update, dstew1.

Once again I am kicking myself in the A__ for buying a first year car. I gambled Subaru could rise above that, but obviously not.

No more 1st years, ever.

Is this really a first year car issue? Hasnt the Turbo been used in a few model over the last few years?
  • 204meca204meca Member Posts: 369
    I have owned a 97 Civic VX & 04 Audi A4 (still have) with CVTs. Both had "manual shift" capabilities for 6 spds. I love the CVT! Can't beat the smoothness, midspeed acceleration (RPMs stay in peak power range as long as you like), & fuel economy is outstanding. I don't understand why some people find em so hard to get used to. For normal, no agressive driving the only noticable difference I detact is you never feel an actual shift.
    My current 03 Forester XS has a manual, but when I am ready for a newer one in 3 years I will be getting an AT, I hope the Foresters have either the 5 spd or CVT when I am ready.
    The new Forester has tempted me to start using my Subie Bucks card again so I could have an extra $1,500 cash 3 years from now. My only reservation is 3 years from now the Forester might not look like the best replacement for my 03 model. :confuse:

Can the Subie Bucks coupons be transfered?

Is there a market for them at a discounted price to 3rd parties?
    That would be nice.Buy $ 10,000 subie bucks for 1/2 price 5K But it does have your name on them, and says not tranferable or resold..!!
    It is not good news about the 2009 Forester fault, is it?

Long term quality control was not professionally performed and this is a serious punch to the prestige of Subaru America. Overconfidence in the reliability of Subaru cars maintained by patriotic all the way is a sombre matter. Can the affected owners claim a Lemon demand to get their money back?
  • jeffmcjeffmc Member Posts: 1,742
    Use the Subie bucks to pay for service on your vehicle, and put the money you would've spent on the service into a bank account. Then you've got downpayment cash to spend on whatever vehicle you go with down the road, and don't risk losing your earned Subie Bucks.
  • jeffmcjeffmc Member Posts: 1,742
    "Overconfidence in the reliability of Subaru cars maintained by patriotic all the way is a sombre matter. Can the affected owners claim a Lemon demand to get their money back?"

If someone is expecting 100% reliability from any auto manufacturer, they're definitely overconfident. Subaru has had a very good track record according to many sources, and IMHO has earned the confidence that, as a whole, Subarus are some of the most reliable vehicles made. A few makes are more reliable as a whole, and many more are less reliable. If you buy a Subaru, the odds are very good that it will be reliable, but there is always a chance it won't be. No manufacter is free from problems.

We don't even know the number of vehicles this affects, or the percentage of Subarus sold with this problem. Can't be more than 10%. Let's wait & see what Subaru does to fix things before declaring the affected turbos lemons. :)
    Jeff:
    Thank you. Your post was a reasonable, rational response to batman47's inflammatory prattle.
  • paisanpaisan Member Posts: 21,181
    I guess I'm off base here but my 1992 SVX with 230hp, AWD, and weighing about 3600+ lbs got 35mpg on the highway at 75-80mph. It had a 4 speed automatic transmission.

-mike
    I've probably overreacted, but it was a real jolt after 4 months of hard research to see the end choice ending up with what could be a major problem.
    Still, as jeffmc suggests, I'll wait and see and try to keep track of what's going on with this, before truly declaring my Forester a lemon.
  • birdboybirdboy Member Posts: 158
    I test drove a 2009 Forester2.5X. I felt both the ride and power to be fine especially when driving in sports shift mode. I presently have a VW Passat (troublefree) for three years. I need the awd and cargo space . When i finished my test drive I turned the radio in the X on and was beyond dissapointed at the sound quality.The salesperson said that the LL bean sound system is much better , however he had none on the lot for me to hear. I am not buying a car for the radio, however , spending a lot of time driving this is an important creature comfort. Can anyone give me some user info about the upgraded sound or suggestions ? Frankly, I am surprised at this feature being overlooked in what I think was a nice redisign. Thanks for any help.
  • samiam_68samiam_68 Member Posts: 775
    I guess I'm off base here but my 1992 SVX with 230hp, AWD, and weighing about 3600+ lbs got 35mpg on the highway at 75-80mph. It had a 4 speed automatic transmission.

Was this downhill with a tailwind? :P
  • chelentanochelentano Member Posts: 634
    Sure, you can always get stereo upgraded with some better stereo from Best Buy. With labor it may cost you a few hundred bux though.

But if you looking for AWD, cargo space and good stereo, you might want to consider the 2.4L Outlander Special Edition or the V6 Outlander version. Outlander has better AWD, more cargo, excellent optional Rockford Fosgate stereo w/650 watt amplifier, mp3 music server, 5/10 year warranty, and Consumer Reports rating of the best predicted reliability in small SUV category. The comparo thread is here: Forester vs. Outlander
    Here we go with an example of a Mitsubishi Patriot! He's probably one of Batman47's friends.
    Jeff that is a good suggestions, except since I only put about 10K miles on my Forester annuallyI do most of my own maint, I don't have much need for service at the Subie garage -- I least I don't anticipate much need for service at the Subie garage ;) !
    FWIW, CR listed the Outlander under their list for highest TCO in its class.

Forester was on the list for the lowest TCO.

And yes, folks, chelentano is extremely pro-Mitsubishi, have no doubt. He and I have debated before in other threads.

While I'm replying to you - have you found a video to prove the Outlander can climb one of those ramps that simulate driving on ice?

Didn't think so. ;)
    If you really, truly, have not made up your mind yet, and are planning to wait until this summer anyway, then I would strongly recommend waiting for the new Twin Clutch SST transmission that's coming for the V6 Outlander.

You were the one stating how important transmission technology is, what is a couple of extra months' wait to get what is arguably the best type of automatic transmission available today, a dual clutch setup?

If you buy a V6 Outlander now, yours will seem outdated in the transmission department just a few months later.

Here is Edmunds' Blog entry:

http://blogs.edmunds.com/Straightline/4598

a way to offer both fuel savings and enhanced performance

I'll be very interested to see what you end up buying. I guess if you end up buying the current V6 model with the old school 6 speed auto, transmission technlogy wasn't as important to you as you stated. ;)
    Thank you for the link.

I will prefer to wait until fast thinking owners will try this new transmission first. When the transmission has proved reliable (about 5 years from now) then I will change my vehicle no necessarily an Outlander or Forester. For example I am considering the 2009 Honda Pilot but my wife has put some restriction in the amount of money to spend. I am even considering the Tiguan.

I don't give up the 2009 Forester 2.5X + premium package. So I would like to hear more first hand experience for this new car.
  • deerlake7deerlake7 Member Posts: 176
    We picked up a '09 Forester X Premium today for my wife. My employer is a Subaru supplier, so we received the VIP price, along with a bit above the KBB trade value for the '03 Pilot we traded. I would have preferred something larger, but my wife insisted on downsizing and since she's the main driver of this vehicle, we went for it. It's a fun drive. Good steering and cornering, relatively quiet with acceptable space. Not sure about the sunroof which only rolls back into the roof because of its size (versus flipping up as well), but it's still cold up here, so we'll have to see how it works when the temps rise. I'll report back after we put a few miles on it.
  • paisanpaisan Member Posts: 21,181

Was this downhill with a tailwind?

Nope. City driving I managed 17mpg consistently. On the highway usually 30mpg and often on long cruise control trips I hit 33-35 doing 75-80mph. The gearing on it was extreme. In 4th gear at 145mph we turned about 4500-4600 rpms IIRC. If it could hit redline in 4th gear (7000) it would be going 200 mph, obviously it could never attain that due to wind resistance and lack of power, but that gives you an idea of what it was turning at 80mph.

-mike
    My response to you is in appropriate thread: Outlander vs. Forester
    >> If you buy a V6 Outlander now, yours will seem outdated in the transmission department just a few months later.

Mitsubishi new Twin Clutch SST transmission is very cool, but Outlander's current 6-speed tranny with paddle shifters is quite modern. What is outdated "old school" is 4-speed auto which has been around for 30 years and will be around for the next 20, thanks to Subaru.
    Compared to the earlier 4-speeds, I suspect that "old school" 4-speed in '09 Forester has had a number of improvements. Sportshift is new (most likely lifted from the Outback's trans) and seems to work well.

I've driven the Audi dual clutch trans several times and found accelerating usually gave smooth shifts, but slowing down or cruising was rather jerky and unpleasant.
    But yes, it is more efficient than a torque-converter based auto-trans.

Some here may wonder why I didn't consider the Mitsubishi Outlander. Simply because there was only one badly rated dealer anywhere near me.