Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2009 Subaru Forester

Comments

• h2k2f2h2k2f2 Member Posts: 44
    The Mitsu Outlander can't claim this honor. Poor Chelentano!
  • kurtamaxxxguykurtamaxxxguy Member Posts: 1,798
    You can find soft foam at Fred Meyers or other general goods stores, and either wrap wiring connectors with it, or glue/tape it to surfaces/wires that might hit other surfaces.
    Finding it thinner than 1 " or so may be hard.

You can also at these stores find felt strips or sheets, many of which have adhesive backings, that can help

That is what I had to do up in the light housing; position pieces of foam around the cables and connectors so they wouldn't rub against each other or bang into the roof or light housing.

However, it's very good idea to keep foam away from hot items like light bulbs (dome lights get very hot and can melt some types of foam).
    2008 Outlander in front did good, but not as good, as '09 Forester in front.
    2008 Outlander's not tested for side yet.
  • h2k2f2h2k2f2 Member Posts: 44
    Perhaps we'll have to start talking about the Outlander's "part-time" good safety. Good except for the times that it gets hit in the side or the rear!
  • batman47batman47 Member Posts: 606
    For god sake his Forester is a brand new car. He just bought it. How he can be advised to this or do that when the best thing to be advised is to change his Forester for another Forester. Rattles in a Forester is unforgivable. Come on lets not be too patriotic.
    I know how much passionate could be a person that has been marry to the same Subaru brand since grand pap transferred his old Subaru to his grandchild. But to be passionate doesn’t mean not to be able to recognise some good things that the competition could offer nowadays that indeed are better than the Forester or vice versa. I have read here all that discussion about the AWD details, and all that stuff (potty) that has alleviated my insomnia since. We buy a Forester because we like the car and because of some basic features. Like when we marry a woman; we never marry the best woman, just somebody that we can live with.
  • tkaytkay Member Posts: 99
    I think B-Man has a good point. The customer should not be required to fix design flaws on new vehicles. would suspect Subaru loves customers (do-it-yourselfers)take the responsibility on themselves. If it was me and my $$$$$ spent I would definitely call Subaru Inc. and let them know how dissatisfied you are. All dealership mechanics are not created equal. As for K-Max Guy and his magic foam (me I'm duct tape man)I would let his dealership know of the problem he has noticed in his new vehicle. If you don't make the manufacturer aware and accountable for their product, I believe the quality of the product will suffer. You never know what the dealership might offer to keep us all happy Subie campers.. Good Luck..
  • kdshapirokdshapiro Member Posts: 5,751
    Rattles in a Forester is unforgivable. Come on lets not be too patriotic.

Also unforgiveable:

1. lousy engineering in GM and Ford cars,
    2. bad trannies and sludge in Acura, Honda and Lexus,
    3. electrical issues in BMWs

I could go on with issues about Korean cars. Just about every manufacturer has made a big time boo-boo at one time or another within recent memory. That doesn't make it right however.
    Yes, the dealer should be the one to fix the problem , especially since it _created_ it.

However, in the past, dealers working on my cars to fix roof rattles in lights, etc., usually damaged/soiled the roof, the headliner, or the light itself. :sick:
    This time, since the light was easilly removeable, I was able to trace and (so far) fix that squeak problem without those headaches.

I've let Subaru know what the problem was and what my "fix" was. There was no response.
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    What's more imporant? Your safety, or a minor rattle that Kurt has already fixed?

Before you call me a Subaru patriot again, keep in mind I commute in a Miata and drive a Sienna on the weekends. I choose the best product that meets my needs, without any blind loyalties.

Mitsubishi hid safety defects (faulty brakes!) on 1977 models all the way up until the year 2004, a full 4 years after the investigation of the hidden recalls began, by the way.

Did you forgive them?

Unforgiveable ... please.
    I see what you mean. Probably best you fixed the problem. Your right about some dealerships,they hop in your ride with greasy hands and shoes. (right they put down that paper mat) but they crawl around inside without respect for your 25K 30K investment.. IDEA!!!! get some of that foam and repackage it and sell (KMG magic fix) E-Bay here you come.... maybe retire in a few years
  • birdboybirdboy Member Posts: 158
    Thank you all for your suggestions and comments . I am 57 years young and am not looking to blow the doors off the car with loud sound. I just would like a clean, nice quality sound with reasonable bass,and treble, all of which the base Forester model radio did not give me.It was as flat as the road I was driving it on. I hope to hear the upgraded sound in the LL bean edition next week. does the sub woofer enhance the sound all around or just give strong bass? Will the additional Subaru tweeters help as well or should I get them privately.
    Again , thank you
  • bigfrank3bigfrank3 Member Posts: 426
    Well, we are about the same age, so I think I understand your goal. I can't speak to the 09 but if Subaru has done the same thing they have done for the last 8 years the Bean or Premium radio is much better. I find the base radio very flat also, and if that was what I was stuck with I would change it.

I don't find that need with the upgraded one though. I suggest you take your favorite CD with you when you "test listen" the Bean radio. If you find that to be much better then you will really like it with the tweeters and sub woofer. To me there is something to be said for everything integrated, and Subaru has always made things so they just plug in and work well together.

The sub is not large enough to be strictly a low bass enhancer so it overlaps a bit into the midrange. I can't remember what the spec sheet said that came with mine but I think it rolls over at 250Hz. Since it has it's own amplifier built-in that helps too.

The tweeters are a great help because high frequencies get easily absorbed by soft materials and can get lost in a car, so dedicated speakers to enhance the sound work very well. If I were only going to buy either the tweeters or the sub I would buy the tweeters, but I find the whole package very satisfying, as does my wife.

If you were nearby here in MA I would let you listen to the Manheim Steamroller Christmas CD my wife has in her Forester. It sounds outstanding and would convince you in a heartbeat about the whole package. The biggest test will be whether you see a big difference in the Bean radio over the base. If you like that you will love the rest.
    Noticed today the rearmost door strips, those attached to the body and run just in front of the fenders, can be caught and pinched by the extra-cost wheel well trim (one piece of that attaches to the rear door).

If that happens the strips get nasty gouges in them and may not seal properly.

I'm seeing if mine recover from their pinching, but if not, I'll let the dealer know and hopefully get them fixed.
    Sounds like there are 3 different stereos system - the single CD on the base models, the upgraded 6CD, and then a 3rd system integrated with the optional NAV, which is supposedly even better.

I test drove an X Premium, so it had the middle system. I still want to sample the NAV system.

Generally, audiophiles will want to go aftermarket anyway, but the tweeters are mounted up high and supposedly help a lot.
  • birdboybirdboy Member Posts: 158
    thanks again for all the audio suggestions and shared experiences. All are helpful. Presently I drive a VW Passat 2.0T . I have test driven the CRV, Rogue , 09 Forseter (non turbo) and would not consider Rav with the wheel on the rear.I find the Rogue CVT transmission uncomfortable and noisy when accelerating to get up to Highway speed, I like the forester for its drive but the Rogue for the bluetooth, keyless entry, Bose stereo. I am going to test drive the Forseter again. can anyone share with me what their highway mpg is? Does the Subie go beyond its est 26 mpg when broken in.Thank You
    Bluetooth is an option. Keyless is probably standard nowadays, but I don't have the brochure in front of me.

Bose stereos are funny. People seem to love 'em or hate 'em.

I happen to like them. I think with bass-laden music they work quite well. I listen to some reggae and hip-hop, and I think it sounds good to me.

There are audiophiles that absolutely hate Bose, though. "No highs, no lows, must be Bose". Or they just call it "Blose". Others say it is OK but just overpriced for what you get.

Sounds fine to me.

Spring for the Premium package, just look at the size of that panoramic moonroof. Motorweek said it was "Big as the Texas sky".
  • p0926p0926 Member Posts: 4,423
    FYI, the subwoofer use to be under the front passenger seat. I think it was with the 03 redesign that Subaru moved it to the rear cargo area.

-Frank
    Sheesh! I'm out of the net for a few days and you guys go crazy.

Kudos to Kurt for creating a new topic where the never ending AWD arguments can continue :P I'm guessing however that won't dissuade chelentano from continuing his Juice-baiting posts here :shades:

Regarding Forester rattles, Subaru has frequently gotten dinged in JD Powers type initial quality surveys due to things like annoying rattles. On the other hand, Subarus fair very well in long term surveys (such as Consumer Reports). So while a rattle can be EXTREMELY annoying, that's all it is. And which would you rather deal with, the occasional annoying rattle or a major mechanical issue that might cost hundreds of dollars to repair?

I'm not trying to give Subaru a free pass for any rattles, there's certainly room for improvement. However, in Kurt's instance, wasn't the rattle caused by the dealer? In which case, I agree that it can be better to try and fix yourself rather than have an inconsiderate mechanic futzing around and potentially doing more harm than good.

-Frank

P.S. Welcome back to Big Frank, you were gone for what, 2 years?
    In the 05 Forester it still mounts under the passenger seat, in 06 through 08 it mounts under the driver's seat. The fork bracket goes under a seat mounting bolt.
  • madisonsgamemadisonsgame Member Posts: 8
    I just bought the 2009 L.L. Bean Edition. :) I had a 2001 and 2005 Forester in the past and loved them. I finally decided to get the L.L. Bean edition. I did not get the nav. system (now I wished I had) but the radio sounds great but I would like to enhance it. I have read posts about subwoofers and tweeters. I am not sure how these work. Can someone please explain? I am a little nervous about adding things to my car. In the past, the service people have damage my car with scratches etc.... so I am a little nervous add these items. I am thinking about the Sirius radio. My car is pre-wired, so I have to buy the kit. Does anyone have Sirius radio? Is it worth it?
    Also I read that Subaru and L.L. Bean are not going to renew their partnership. I wonder why? :cry:
    Thanks Frank. I knew it had been a while and didn't realize how long, but 2 years sounds right as I think about it. I had a disagreement with a host so it was easier to just go away, but I have missed the gang. :cry:

Good to see the old-timers still here as well as all the new posters. This has always been a great group and an excellent place to share.

You still have a great name! :)
    In the 05 Forester it still mounts under the passenger seat

:confuse: In my 04 the subwoofer is mounted in the left rear cargo comparment wall.

-Frank
    Congrats on your purchase. What color? My wife likes the red Bean.

Tweeters and the sub woofer are a great way to enhance the musical range of the sound system. The sub adds to the low frequencies, the bass, and the tweeters do the high frequencies. I have installed several of each myself because I always figure that no one works on my vehicles with the care I do.

I just looked through the 09 accessory catalog and the tweeters look just like the ones I put into my 06. The car is pre-wired so accessories can be put in easily at the Port or the dealer. They go at the leading edge of the door where it meets the A pillar, just inside from the mirrors. There is a little cover that pops off and the wires are under that. The tweeters just snap into place after you plug the wires in, then the speaker grill snaps on to replace the dummy cover previously removed. The grill looks just like the dummy cover except for the small holes to let the sound out. This install is a piece of cake. If you can change a light bulb you can install them, really. The only tool needed is a small screwdriver to pop the dummy cover off, and you should put some tape over the tip so as not to scratch anything. That is the hardest part, and that is not hard.

The catalog also says the sub still goes under the driver's seat. This is not pre-wired but everything needed comes with the sub, including excellent directions. This is a little more involved because the seat needs to be unbolted and tipped back so you can work under it. The wires get run inside the console and under the dash to the back of the radio where it gets plugged in. The electrical part is easy but the real work is running the wires. If one is handy it can be done in about 30 minutes, but is harder than changing a light bulb.

The catalog says the part number for the sub is H630SSC000, and for the tweeter kit H6318SC000. It does say that the tweeter part number is for the X and the Premium, so you may want to inquire about the Bean, and what if anything is different.

Good luck with your purchase!
    That is strange. The part number for my wife's sub (H630SSA200) says it fits 03 to 05, and my 06 sub (H630SSA300) says 06 to 08. The subs look similar and both have the fork bracket, but her directions say passenger seat and mine says driver's seat. Hmmmmm...
  • samiam_68samiam_68 Member Posts: 775
    In the 05 Forester it still mounts under the passenger seat

In my 04 the subwoofer is mounted in the left rear cargo comparment wall.

The XT has it in the rear cargo area as standard equipment. The add-on subwoofer for non-XT models goes under the front seat.
  • rshollandrsholland Member Posts: 19,788
    Hey Frank...

Aside from not being able to a get manual on the turbo, what do you think of the new Forester? Have you checked it out in the flesh and/or taken a test drive?

Bob
    Thanks for the info, that explains things.
    The creaking/chirping in my '09 Foresters' front overhead light enclosure was a factory defect; cable covering that squeaked when rubbing roof, and lack of spacer between rear view mirror bracket and roof frame.
    I'm sure Subaru could come up with a more elegant fix than mine but my foam wraps around cable and between mirror bracket and roof have hopefully shuddup'ed the noise.
    There are still a few minor creaks/pops in dash over some bumps, but any car's going to make some noise over bumps. My former Maxx rattled a lot more than the Forester does, and my '03 Ions were buzz/rattle fests by comparison.

The tweeters do add air to the sound. Good to know what is involved with Subwoofer install (a pity wiring has to be run, though).

Apparently the suspensions are different between the X and XT series. The XT is more "sporting" and leans less in turns. IMHO, The XT ride's firm but not harsh - kinda like a WRX but with more suspension travel. The rear end tends to kick up its heels over speed bumps, though.
    Hey! it worked. They (Subaru) must of got back to you and told you about the defect. Good for them. When I got my 09 Bean and discovered that moon roof, I was ecstatic.It sure beats the heck out of those 2 X 3 roofs most have. Gotta love that wind shield,well thought out.(my mileage is up 25MPG right now.(1500 miles)
    Aside from not being able to a get manual on the turbo

Bob- Some aside... that's a deal killer for me :( Probably a good thing though since without the manual, I'm not tempted to want one :P Which is good news considering there's absolutely nothing wrong with my 04.

I've not gone to look at one in person but from what I've read it sounds like they've made improvements in almost every area and my fears of the Forester losing some of its handling ability appear misplaced.

Now if Subaru decides to re-offer the manual in the XTs in a year or two, then I'll be in big trouble :shades:

-Frank
    No, Subaru's said nothing in response to my describing my fix to them.
    They've been a fair number of hiccups on their my.subaru web site as well (having difficulty updating stuff, service contracts not being listed, etc.).
    Visiting some dealers for accessories, I've found they don't always have '09 parts lists.

Perhaps the support infrastructure for this car's still evolving? :confuse:

Wrt body-mounted rear-most door weatherstrips, they seem to be reforming to their original shape and are not being pitched by the added "wheel well" trim.

I'm curious...do any other '09 Forester owners see a groove in this weatherstrip? The strips' grooving/additional lip starts from the lower rocker panel to about 6" above the rocker panel, then gradually blends into the weather stripping.
  • rshollandrsholland Member Posts: 19,788
    I keep hearing rumors of an upcoming Forester STI—and that would likely have a 6-speed. ;) They've done it before, so there's no reason not to expect one in the future. Now they just need to bring it over here.

http://www.carspace.com/arvin1/Albums/Japan%20cars/originals/subaru-forester-sti- -version-9646.jpg/photo/v./original.jpg

Bob
    Yeah if they brought the Forester STi over here I'd really be in trouble!

Anybody still have the link for the British car magazine comparison between the Forester STi and WRX STi? I'll never forget the woman driver's reaction to the acceleration and cornering of the Forester (to say she was surprised is an understatement).

-Frank
  • waiting4tiguanwaiting4tiguan Member Posts: 4
    Anyone have a pic of what the Sports grille looks like? Less chrome I hope!
  • skeletonskeleton Member Posts: 37
    Is Bluetooth included in the iPod kit?

I was looking for Bluetooth but haven't seen it listed with any of the accessories.
  • leo2633leo2633 Member Posts: 589
    I have read a number of forums and participants and I have learn that many of them are like ‘mum’ or ‘grand ma’, i.e. It doesn’t matter what naughty the child is (i.e. vehicle) or how many faults the child (vehicle) has, ‘mum’ or ‘grand ma’ will always prise the child as faultless and look somewhere else for naughtiest child to justify the child faults. What lack is objectivity in judgments by fears to upset followers that want to read just one side of a coin?

I have the most sympathy for owner of the new Forester who, perhaps of bad luck got in the first week of buying the vehicle some problems (little faults). I have also experienced these horrible disappointments that eat your flesh, just to be told by people, like here in this forum that he should be in high spirits with the rattles in his car, because many others vehicles has more rattles. Is this a consolation? Or more salt onto the wounds. Mates I have had a Hyundai Tucson for 3 years with more than 60K miles, and although the vehicle was not a proper off road I used the vehicle as a proper off road. Before I sold it I did not have any experience of any rattle and the vehicle was a Hyundai (supposed to be a junk vehicle).
    Before I sold it I did not have any experience of any rattle and the vehicle was a Hyundai (supposed to be a junk vehicle).

They are not junk, but there are people who have had their fair share of problems with Hyundais also. Citing Hyundai as an example of a shining star is perhaps the worst possible example. That's like saying I never had a gas tank explosing in my Pinto. :shades Unfortunately lately, no manufacturer, maybe except for Porsche is seems to be immune from issues.
    Sometimes I ask myself why all of this fuss about the Subaru reliability and its ‘Boxer’ horizontal engine (instead of vertical). The only advantage I can see is the center of gravity of the whole vehicle in comparison with the V6 or 6-in line or 4-cyl (vertical). There is, however, one point that is forgotten and this is the extra force of gravity on a horizontal piston edges that inexorably will eventually create problems in a boxer engine. This is what the physics law may say but I have seen few forums about the need to change piston rings after 80K miles for example. Subaru is an exclusive technological club and this is based fundamentally in its engine design that not body want to copy as a replacement if it is so great.
    but I have seen few forums about the need to change piston rings after 80K miles for example.

Can you cite some sources this is a widespread problem? Or, did two people post on a forum and now this is a catastrophic issue. Inexorably all cars will have issues. The Foresters in general will have less than most. I fully agree some model years have been problematic, but that can be said for every manufacturer on earth. Subaru isn't exempted nor does it lead the charge.
    I still have a Lexus SC300 V6 3.L with more than 125K miles and this engine is still running smooth and so far the engine is still virgin. With the Subaru engines I have read a number of owners saying that they changed the piston rings at about 70K-80K miles. However they talked like this was a routine maintenance duty as for example changing timing belt or thermostat, etc. My reason is that the only difference between these two designs is the position of the piston that moves horizontally million of times per year. Each of this movement by the physics law carried an extra force (i.e. gravity force) that pushes down the piston harder to the walls of the piston. This is just a hypothesis.
    still have a Lexus SC300 V6 3.L with more than 125K miles and this engine is still running smooth and so far the engine is still virgin

I can post some links to owners who have had Lexus lemons with sludge problems.

With the Subaru engines I have read a number of owners saying that they changed the piston rings at about 70K-80K miles.

If you read these boards, there are members who have had trouble free ownership well into the hundreds of thousands of miles. You have no substianted proof of any systematic issue. The layout of the engine alows the Subaru handle much better than the competition. Are there trade-offs? Absolutely. Buying a car is one huge trade-off.

Each of this movement by the physics law carried an extra force (i.e. gravity force) that pushes down the piston harder to the walls of the piston. This is just a hypothesis.

Are you aware a number of Porsche engines have the same basic layout? Horizontally opposed sixes. Are you aware that Porsche engines are vitually indestructable? I'm not saying the Subie engine is made with the same meticulousness as the Porsche, but if what you say is true, Porsche engines would be breaking left and right alongside of Subie engines.
    Ken- I swear you're almost as bad as Juice in allowing yourself to be so easily baited into responding to nonsense posts :P

Having said that, I can't resist myself in responding to the most outlandish statement :)

Each of this movement by the physics law carried an extra force (i.e. gravity force) that pushes down the piston harder to the walls of the piston. This is just a hypothesis.

Yeah a dumb hypothesis :D Using the same argument, V-6/8/12 engines would also be more susceptible to the "forces of gravity". Which means that the inline engine is the only good design. Huh.

The reason there are dozens of car manufacturers and hundreds of models is that everyone has different needs, wants, preferences and priorities. The Subaru Forester is obviously not the best choice for many people but... it is for some.

-Frank

Edit- Uh oh, it looks like Sam agrees with the inline engine design ;)
  • samiam_68samiam_68 Member Posts: 775
    The Lexus SC300 never had a V6 - it had an inline-6. Inline 6 configuration is by far the smoothest engine setup you can have, not requiring any balance shafts or dampers to run without any vibrations. The Subaru boxer setup is on the opposite end of the spectrum - this engine is by design prone to vibration at idle, and, due to the H-format, cannot even have a balance shaft - no place to put it.
    Subaru price are not more than $35K; Porsche vehicle are not less than $60K. Perhaps the piston rings in the Porsche vehicles are made of a very, very friction resistant metal (and very expensive) to stand the extra force due to gravity. I have a Porsche Cayenne cataloge just in front of me and I am afraid to tell you that the engines of this vehicle are either V6 or V8 layout. So you see, if what you said is true then Porsche has been wise to make the big jump from Boxer configuration to V6 or V8 configuration (I am talking about the 2008 Porsche Cayenne SUV).

With regards to the sludge matter in some Lexus SC300 this has nothing to do with piston design horizontal/vertical piston.
    http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-117426835217777671

Len- That's the one! Thanks for the link.

-Frank
    ....but Subaru USA canceled the Manual version of the Forester XT because they weren't selling here! Of course that's the one the car mags and enthusiasts wanted - so why weren't more of them sold?

As for an STI version of the Forester? How many STI's does Subaru sell wrt total Impreza sales?
    If Subaru were to do this for the USA, I suspect it might open a new niche. Would Toyota RAV4 TRD, or Mitsubishi EVOLander, or Honda CR-V-SI, be far behind?
    With regards to the sludge matter in some Lexus SC300 this has nothing to do with piston design horizontal/vertical piston.

Your point is about engine failures, Lexus has had it's share.

I think this entire board, the moderators and Subaru would really, really like to know more about your hypothesis. Can you prove a scintilla of what you infer?

I didn't think so.
    Ken- I swear you're almost as bad as Juice in allowing yourself to be so easily baited into responding to nonsense posts :P

Frank - over the years at edmunds I've seen some very outrageous statements, but this takes the cake.