Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Landcruiser vs. Acura MDX Sport Package with rear DVD system

tpulaktpulak Member Posts: 44
edited April 2014 in Acura
Though it might not sound like an even competition, it actually is. The Toyota Landcruiser starts at $56,215, while a base MDX goes for about $40,000(base retail prices). That why I loade the MDX with the sport package, and the rear DVD system. But the Land cruiser still has the higher price, at $47,795 for the Acura. The Land cruiser makes only 265 horsepower from the 4.7 liter V-8, while the MDX has 300 horsepower from a 3.7 liter V-8. Also, Toyota's fuel economy are down, 13/17, versus MDX's 17/22. Which one is the better Luxury SUV?

Comments

• bgsntthbgsntth Member Posts: 92
    I do not think they are that comparable. The LC does not have the interior room and space efficiency of the MDX, as it leans more toward a purpose-built truck. That is, a ladder frame, solid-rear axle, transfer-case with low-range, and heavy duty everything for towing and off-road abuse. All of this adds weight and reduces gas mileage. So unless you are going to tow large loads, utilize the low-range, or just like trucks-and are willing to sacrifice practicality for image/solid-truck drive; then you are better off with the MDX.

The third-row in the LC, and LX and GX, are really not that practical for daily use; especially anyone over 5 feet tall.
  • nedzelnedzel Member Posts: 787
    They are completely different vehicles. The LandCruiser is a true off-road vehicle. It is body-on-frame construction with a solid rear axle, full-time 4WD and a low range.

The MDX is a jacked-up minivan. Fine for going to the mall on a snowy day, but not something to take on a challenging trail.

Pick which one is suitable for you. Most folks will seldom need the LandCruiser's off-road prowess.
  • mercaramercara Member Posts: 291
    If you don't care about towing capacity and off-road ability, then get the MDX otherwise get the land cruiser.
  • ct005ke002ct005ke002 Member Posts: 1
    Honda and Acura never produce V8 motors. At least not for a long time

In terms of company size, Honda is about 1/3 of Toyota. It takes a lot of effort and cost to make V8 motors well and profitable , especially in today's economy.

Acura RDX is a V6. High compression V6 to generate 300 Horses.

I have 2 Land Cruisers 1998 and 2003 and I love both of them. 100% Made in Japan.

Never driven a MDX and not sure where it is made from. I bet Canada or Ohio.
  • JBaumgartJBaumgart Member Posts: 890
    "Acura RDX is a V6. High compression V6 to generate 300 Horses."

I believe you meant to say MDX is a V6 with 300HP. The RDX is a turbo 4.
This discussion has been closed.