Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2008 Chevrolet Cobalt

2»

Comments

• dispencer2dispencer2 Member Posts: 299
    Thanks - I confirmed that today. I just bought a 2009 LT1 Coupe.(will pick it up next week). It is supposed to have a manual driver seat lumbar control. The salesman says it doesn't. Anybody know where the control is? It is supposed to be standard with the sport cloth seats. I can find the height adjuster and the seat back recliner. Also -several people have said that you can reverse the headrests. The seat belt holder is part of this headrest. Does it come off so that I can reverse the headrests? Thanks - Karl
    This is an absolutely amazing story. You may have personal problems with your selling dealer but a Chevrolet dealer is supposed to service Chevrolet vehicles under warranty. It is true that they cannot do warranty work for other GM brands -obviously they wouldn't have the training and parts to service a Cadillac at a Pontiac dealer. I cannot believe that Chevrolet Customer Service (at the telephone number in your Owners Manual) told you that a Chevrolet dealer can refuse to perform warranty service on a Chevrolet. They can refuse to fix items that have been damaged, paint that has been hit by a hail storm, and items that have failed from neglect, but that's about all. I think that you are probably misquoting them..If this car is under lease I get the distinct impression that since you don't like it that you are trying to get out of the lease. Good luck. You will pay a fortune to break the lease but if you have lemon law problems then you have to contact your State agency that handles that sort of thing.
  • justinpejustinpe Member Posts: 5
    I have a 2008 cobalt and need to add some tranny fluid and need to find the plug or what ever it is that will let me fill it. I know the tranny is "sealed" but, whatever............. Does any one have, or can anyone take a pic. of their engine and put an arrow on it and say "this is the plug!" or "under this is the plug" ? I replaced my radiator and need to top the tranny off. And what is the recommended tranny fluid for it?

Thanks
    There was no need for me to buy a 2009 Cobalt 1LT off the lot during the Employee Discount Sale in September. It is the last one that I'll buy off a lot. I would have preferred to delete the stupid spoiler and the worthless remote start thereby saving enough to purchase the Pioneer Stereo which I did want. The new Red Tag Sale seems to offer just as attractive a discount as the Employees sale and you have until early January to take delivery which means that you can probably order one.
  • tcaloftcalof Member Posts: 29
    Sometimes you may not get as a good a deal on ordering. Usually the dealers are more motivated to move stock that they own to pay off the bank loan covering each and every vehicle that they have on their lot. I know that the big three have holdbacks that are designed to help pay for the interest on these short term bank loans. The sooner the stock is moved off the lot, the more the dealer retains as profit from the holdback.
  • poncho167poncho167 Member Posts: 1,178
    I agree with you on that spoiler and remote start, I would have deleted them also.

Does the Pioneer make that much of a difference? The stock Delco's are usually pretty good.
    It's funny how some options you can do without, and others are must have. Where I live remote start is almost a necessity because of the very long, cold winters. The dealers here won't bring in any cars/trucks without remote start if it is on the factory options list. I concur on the rear spoiler. Ever try to attach a trunk mount bile rack with a rear spoiler? Ever see how much snow and ice gets frozen into those rear spoilers in the winter? The standard rear spoiler is the only reason I didn't get a Pontiac G5 instead of my Cobalt.
  • grosloupgrosloup Member Posts: 239
    We get plenty of snow where I live to. Last year was Hell, we had more than enough.

How does the Cobalt handles in snow driving? Might buy a "coupe" LT next year. When winter season arrives, you drive on 4 seasons tires or change for winter tires? Good traction in snow? The car's ground clearance is not to low for big snow storms?

I like the looks and performance of the Cobalt but its when winter comes along what will it be like. Need someone with winter experience with a Cobalt.
    I leave the all season tires on in the winter. The car handles fine on ice and snow. The ground clearance is OK unless you have 8" or more of snow on the road. I live in a large urban area so getting snowed in isn't an issue. If I was a rural driver who needed to get out every day I would have bought an AWD Subaru, RAV4, or Rogue, put on dedicated snow tires, and not have bought a Cobalt or G5. For my urban winter driving the Cobalt is great.
  • just84wvujust84wvu Member Posts: 9
    No misquote there. I have spoken to both a customer rep and a Business side rep for Chevrolet both emphasized that each GM dealership no matter if its Buick, Pontiac, Cadillac, Chevy or whomever are owned by individual people that call the shots GM cannot force them to do work under warranty. Most dealerships gave me the excuse that they would not get paid for the work and that it would go straight to the original purchasing dealership not to them which I didn't understand but that was how it was explained to me at Anthony Chevrolet in Fairmont, WV which is the next closest dealership to me. The original is located over 100 miles south of me. Its being leased by GMAC so I am paying towards owning this sad excuse for a car. I again have been tracking my avg fuel mileage and so far since purchase I have averaged over 24mpg on the Highway and a lousy 15mpg in the city. That is what my parent's Explorer should be clocking in at mpg wise. It continues to shut down and die randomly so during all this snow I can't wait for it to abandon me on the roadside while I pay for this supposed free roadside assistance I was told I would have to possibly pay for if the driver asked for major credit card for the tow to the dealership, which would not be refunded.
    I've never had a problem with warranty service at any GM dealership as long as it sold my brand of car. If you cannot get someone to fix the dying car syndrome it sounds like you might benefit from a lemon law. I am disappointed at the in town gas mileage. I average about 20-22 but on the road I've averaged as much as 38 on an hour and a half drive at 65-70 non stop. So far I like my 09 Cobalt. It rides about the same as my 06 Impala and the seats are more comfortable for some reason. I can drive 6 hours to Ft. Worth and not suffer a backache. The seats aren't wide enough and don't have enough thigh support so I get leg aches after 3 or 4 hours. My 03 Cadillac DeVille even has this problem. My old 91 and 94 Buick LeSabres had fine seats.. No problem at all.
  • manogirthmanogirth Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2.4 Sport and am looking for the proven intake/ exhaust/ chip/ suspension and handling modifications.
  • beachbumm688beachbumm688 Member Posts: 2
    i have an 08 cobalt lt and when i bought it i had the dealership put in a remote start, the next day i could not get my key out of the ignition they said the remote start broke my ignition and that my wiring harness was not big enough for a remote start, how ever i really want a remote start does anyone have one in there car??
  • just84wvujust84wvu Member Posts: 9
    I thought remote start was an available option in 08 Cobalts? It was on the Pontiac versions of the Cobalt the G5 and such. Sounds like more unprofessional and unintellegent Chevy dealers and service workers. As usual you can't get anything done at a Chevrolet dealership but get ripped off and robbed blind.
  • beachbumm688beachbumm688 Member Posts: 2
    i am pretty sure that is was an option but when they found the car i wanted it was supposed to have it and they didnt so they put an after market one in for me.. my boyfriend is a mechanic and pretty sure he can do it i was just wondering if anyone else has put an aftermarket remote start in
    The major difference between the Cobalt and Impala or other cars I've had is the road noise. It is very pronounced on the Cobalt. When they start producing the Cruse hopefully they will provide some insulation on the floor so that you don't hear the road noise. You don't hear any of it in the Traverse or the Cadillac DeVille I have.
    It is a totally useless option. I have it because I bought a car off the lot but would never have spent $195 for it. I never used it on the Impala I had and have never used it on the Cobalt. I suppose it might have some utility in Maine in the winter if you leave a car outside and want it heated when you get in. The Cobalt heater is the best I have ever had in a car (except for an electric heater in a 50's Chrysler) and it gets warm within a few blocks.
    It depends on the dealer. I have found lousy Toyota dealers and good ones. Same with Chrysler, Chevrolet etc. My dealer - Benders in Clovis NM - has served me well since I moved here. Others have been problems. Any Chevy dealer can do warranty work.
  • cmhj2000cmhj2000 Member Posts: 381
    Have it on our 09 and FWIW the wife loves it. There have been several mornings where we have a light frost or very heavy dew. Starting the car as she walks out the door or about 60-90 seconds before getting in leaves her with a clear W/shield.

It's all about personal preference and is only useless for those that have no use for it.
  • uplanderguyuplanderguy Member Posts: 16,056
    edited May 2010
    My '08 Cobalt has smelled like an old locker room when I turn the A/C on. Last summer my dealer installed cooling coil coating and evaporator core dryer kit (which I have never heard run even once since). This year already, the smell was bad and the dealer deodorized the evaporator and vents and suggested replacement of the cabin air filter, which was done at my expense.

Not even a month later, and the smell is starting to return.

Is there a better fix for this? I don't remember seeing anyplace in the sales literature or owner's manual that the air conditioning would require this type of maintenance once or more a year, and I surely don't want to be paying for evaporator deodorizing every summer for as long as I own the car. My Uplander is three years older and shares the same garage space and does not do this at all.
    2024 Chevrolet Corvette Stingray 2LT; 2019 Chevrolet Equinox LT; 2015 Chevrolet Cruze LS
  • imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,132
    edited May 2010
    I also have a Cobalt and have not noticed a problem. However, I have had a start of a moldy or mildewed box on my older leSabre.

Let me suggest some things to check, because I can tell you have tried to analyze where things have gone wrong.

Are you in a relatively humid climate? I'm not, but I started running the blower on high with the AC compressor off the last couple of minutes driving before I parked the car. I sprayed Febreeze into the air intake with the blower on. I sprayed Lysol (the smell for a few days was oppressive) in the intake.

I parked the car outside with the sun shining hard on the windshield and firewall area during hot season with the windows open some. I hoped the heat would dry up stuff. I also leave windows open when parking in the garage. I love opening the windows during dry season and letting the air on a windy day blow through the heater box and the windows to dry out things.

Does the AC drip readily on humid days? Or is the water being held back by something in the drain tube out the bottom of the AC box?

Are you in an area where tree leaves, needles, maple flower bits, or other organic material gets into the cowl area and into the intake? I suspect the problem is not material on the AC evaporator tubes, but rather is organic material and moisture elsewhere inside the box.

In an HHR discussion someone mentioned a problem with an area of the air intake having a plastic cover that lets water leak into the heater if it warps or something. This water caused the resistor pack for heater speed control and the blower motor to go bad. I have been tempted to take the cowl off my Cobalt to see where this area is. I wonder if that cover gives visual access to get closer to spray mildewicides and other things more directly into the box.

My suggestion to you would be try some sprays that suggest they kill mildews. Leave windows open. Park in wind (I left windows open on the lee side so that the suction would pull air through the AC box. Leave in hot sun to try to dry area.

I'll post the link when I can find the post.

Edit: found it. http://townhall-talk.edmunds.com/direct/view/.f1d1639/0#MSG0

Notice in the discussion it says that the water hits the cabin air filter. A wet filter would be a great place for fungus et al to rot and give a smell. Did your scent abate with the new filter for a while?

Have you checked the floor mats for moisture?

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

• gmcustsvcgmcustsvc Member Posts: 4,252
    Hello Uplanderguy,
    I am from GM Customer Service. Can you please email more information about your concern with your vehicle, so I can look into the situation further? You can access my email by clicking on my name. Thank you,
    Mariah GM Customer Service
    Uplanderguy:

If you find a resolution from your discussions with Mariah, please report back to those of us reading here what you learned? Please?

• demeopdemeop Member Posts: 7
    2008 Chevy Cobalt w/72k - I have issues with secondary air injection. (2) days after steering recall done I start getting - Code, P0411,P2431 with P2440 - Secondary Air Injection System Switching Valve Stuck Open (Bank 1) was latest code. Think I found the problem - pump was FULL of water. Emptied best I could, tried to disassemble but (2) of T20 torx heads stripped, cut slots in them and still just can't turn them. So reinstalled and works for now (does not sound good) but my question is how did it get water in it and/or what is wrong to allow it to happen? I am pretty sure all my issues are in the pump but before I put in a new one I need to find out how to avoid it filling up again. Any reply would be greatly appreciated as of course NO WARRANTY on this item. Although I'll bet I am not alone with this issue.
  • gmcustsvcgmcustsvc Member Posts: 4,252
    demeop,
    Your dealer would be best to figure out and explain why this is happening. I would recommend speaking with them.
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
    There may be a warranty on the emission related components. I would think that is one.

I see a 100K/5yr powertrain warranty, 150,000 MILES
    15-Year Emission Select State Component Ltd Wty*, 150,000 MILES
    15-Year PZEV Emission Limited Warranty*, and a 150,000 MILES
    15-Year Emission Limited Warranty listed in my On-Star list of warranties.

I would ask the dealer if that is a covered item. The owner manual may explain more of what is covered under each of these warranties.

no warranty on this part of emmisions system - cat only!
    between this car and my chevy venture, to Ford or Dodge I will go!

thanks for the replies, I'm on my own with this.
  • uplanderguyuplanderguy Member Posts: 16,056
    2024 Chevrolet Corvette Stingray 2LT; 2019 Chevrolet Equinox LT; 2015 Chevrolet Cruze LS
  • malodorousmalodorous Member Posts: 1
    I donn't think GM has a solution, I think they have is a design problem?

2010 Chevrolet Cobalt LT Sedan – Purchased new August 2010

End of June 2011 we started to have a fowl interior smell. For the next 2 weeks we tried Frebreeze, car deodorizers and boxes baking soda under the front seat. Did not help.

Complained to the dealer and made an appointment to take the car in for inspection.
    July 12, 2011 we dropped the car off for the dealer to take a look first thing the next morning.
    In the morning the dealer took trunk and back seat apart to check for smell then Ozone procedure was done on the car.
    Picked car up before service closed on July 13, 2011.

The smell was worse, not only was there the smell that had been stirred up but also the smell of the Ozone? This did tone down a little after about a week, the smell was still there.

I reported this to the dealer smell was still present; August 10, 2011 they told me they would check with GM. Turns out they had to order a special deodorizer kit from GM.

Returned the car to the dealer August 19, 2011 for first kit cleaning. # 10953503 -*80c Picked car up same day.

The smell was worse, not only was there the smell that had been stirred up but also the smell of the cleaning kit. This did tone down a little after about a week, the smell was still there.

Shortly after this I received an online survey from GM asking about my last visit. All the questions as usual were staff and facility related. In the comment box I asked why they never ask questions about the vehicle. I mentioned that I was very unhappy with my stinking fowl smelling Cobalt. Shortly after I received a call from GM customer service.
    Discussed the problem, made arrangements to take the car back for another cleaning.

Returned the car to the dealer September 16, 2011 for second kit cleaning. # 10953503 -*80c

I received a message from the GM Rep a few days after a cleaning asking how the car was and each time I would wait about 2 weeks to call back. I wanted to give ample time to see if they had fixed the problem. They haven’t.

Between Sept. 16 and Oct 4, 2011 I was told by both the dealer’s service advisor and GM’s customer service rep that the next step would be REMOVE THE DASH.
    I told both; I did not like the idea because it wouldn’t go back together the same way. I was assured it would and I agreed.

On October 4, 2011 the dealer removed the dash and replaced the core, also cleaned with third cleaning kit # 10953503 - *80c. Found nothing.
    Also replaced cabin hepa filter. I paid.

I received a message from the GM Rep a few days after a cleaning asking how the car was and each time I would wait about 2 weeks to call back. I wanted to give ample time to see if they had fixed the problem. They haven’t.

Guess what, I was right. They didn’t put the dash back together properly.
    I picked the car up before service closed, same day. I couldn’t leave the dealers lot, I had to return to the service area, wipers and heater did not work. A few days later I was vacuuming the vehicle and found a trim washer meant to stop a screw from going through plastic trim and a short bolt with its own washer!!! along with noticing the steering wheel had not been put back level.
    When I mentioned the steering wheel to the service advisor he told me I was wrong because the steering wheel could only be put on one way due to the design of the shaft and steering wheel. I do understand the concept and told him I would re-check. It’s off, 22-23 degrees low on the right side

Arrangements were made to have a dealer’s tech. drive the car for 4 days Oct. 20 – 24, 2011 to check the smell. The dealer ended up cleaning the car with 2 different kits # 88861437 and 992878 - *80c

GM rep called, I only waited a week to call back. I called on November 1, 2011 a left a message, I want something done. On November 2, 2011 GM Rep called me back, I said no more cleanings, and they hadn’t fixed a thing. I want out of the vehicle. The GM Rep said they would check with management.

November 4, 2011, GM Rep calls back and offered us $750.00; I was told they might be able to get us $1000.00. I had already figured out it would cost us 10,000 to 15,000 to get out of the car (depending on trade-in value). My parting remarks to the GM Rep, I don’t think all the chemicals, ozone and the moldy mildew smell was good for our health.

Things changed after mentioning the chemicals and ozone.

Had to keep calling to get a return call GM Rep.

At the dealership, everyone was really nice, almost too nice, and as you can see from below, told to say and do nothing.
    In mid October when I realized GM wasn’t going to be able to fix the car I mentioned to the lady in the cashiers office that I thought I was missing an invoice, she offered to print them all off going back to July 12-13, being a nice guy I said I would let her know which one I was missing, stating it was a waste of her time and paper to print them all. In mid November when I asked to get a copy of the July 13, 2011 invoice I was told no paper work had been created so there was nothing to print.
    Funny how I have the invoice #

THIS WAS THE FIRST TIME I WENT ON-LINE, TYPED IN “SMELLY COBALT” AND WAS I SHOCKED.
    GM has had this problem with the Cobalt since the first model year. 2005. Yet both GM and the Dealer led me to believe they hadn’t heard of the problem.

A few days later it dawned on me, the car has 35,000 km’s of bumper to bumper warranty remaining, this is their problem and they should fix it.
    Called the GM Rep. and left a message, we want the car fixed if GM doesn’t want to help us out of the car. 1 week went by no answer, called again and left message, it took over 2 weeks to get an answer, the excuse they used, voice mail was down for over 2 weeks!!!
    At that time I was told I would have to make the car available so a GM person could look at it. On December 13, 2011 car was left over night so they could look at in the next day, Dec 14th. I thought it would be an engineer, turned out it was the dealers Rep.

On December 20, 2011 I was told by GM the file was closed and throughout this 5 month ordeal not one person from the dealership or the Rep himself smelled anything.

Well, my wife has 2 friends; one refuses to ride in the car because of the smell, and the other starts to gag and would throw up if she stayed in the car.
    Plus my neighbor is a license mechanic and new the first time he smelled it what it was. Of course there can be a number of reasons causing it.
    Since the arrival of the cold weather the smell has definitely eased, since December 20th we’ve had 3 warm spells a day or so long and each time the smell starts to return, this leads me to believe when the warm weather returns so will the smell.

And that’s where it stands.

I do have a number of questions for anyone who may be able help.

1. What is the pro
  • pjm16pjm16 Member Posts: 13
  • christmas0009christmas0009 Member Posts: 1
    sold my ford focus se to down size. i cannot drive the truck because it is too big for me and i do not want a high payment. i have no trade in or down payment.

thinking of getting dealer down to $8,500. what do you all think. carfax report said everything was ok.

thanks
  • boopadoop1boopadoop1 Member Posts: 3
    I have a 2008 Cobalt bought New Aug 2008.Just diagnosed with this problem.Secondary air flow valve corroded due to moisture in the system,and rusted shut.I have less than 40k miles on this car! The diagnostic cost me $95 and the estimate to fix $500. How does moisture get in there and why is this part that costs $500 to replace made out of material that will rust!I also have some of the other common problems Ignition sticking(which thankfully is covered as it is a recall problem)and the stereo speakers cut out,taking turns front to back and side to side as to which ones will work,and not all at the same time.Started doing that after 2 years of ownership.I think GM stopped making this car for a reason.Easy on gas but made very cheap!