Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

08 CRV / dog owner question

cc150cc150 Member Posts: 7
edited March 2014 in Honda
Any dog owners out there use Ventlocks?
I'm not sure how to attach it to the latch in the back.

Comments

• Options
    dewaltdakotadewaltdakota Member Posts: 364
    I would strongly caution against using Ventlocks to "prop open" your tailgate while driving. The exhaust tip is just beneath the bumper, and just a small opening would allow for exhaust fumes to be pulled into the vehicle. I'd hate for you and/or Fido to get sick.

Page 92 of your owner's manual states "Keep the tailgate closed at all times while driving to avoid damaging the tailgate and to prevent exhaust gas from getting into the interior."

If you had one of the older CR-V's that have the separate glass and tailgate openings, then the Ventlock would be an option.

If you wanted to use it in a parked car, engine off situation (which I still wouldn't recommend, due to the possibility of heat buildup), then you would...
    a) Open the hatch
    b) Unscrew the "hook" end of the Ventlock several turns to loosen it a bit
    c) Slip the hook end of the Ventlock through the metal catch loop on the bottom (bumper side) of the tailgate.
    d) Rotate the Ventlock, to tighten the hook down onto the latch loop.
    e) Carefully lower the tailgate onto the other end of the Ventlock, which has the closed loop on it. The tailgate latch jaws will automatically close over the loop end of the Ventlock, as you press down.

To remove it:
    a) Reach under the tailgate, and hold onto the Ventlock (to keep it from falling)
    b) Unlock your doors, which should release the tailgate from the top end of the Ventlock.
    c) Rotate the Ventlock, to loosen the hook end from the lower end loop (bumper side) of the tailgate.
    d) Remove the Ventlock from your vehicle.
  • Options
    cc150cc150 Member Posts: 7
    I'm not sure why you would think I'm a total idiot and would drive or even have the car started w/the tailgate up. The ventlocks are designed for parked vehicles, not moving ones.
    I have been using the ventlocks with my Rav4 for a year and had no problem w/my dogs. It actually helps circulate the air and will prevent any moron from putting their hands in the wide open window and getting bit or a would be thief from stealing the dog.
    I didn't see where the latch was to hook the ventlock onto the CRV. I will look closer when this storm passes. Thank you for the info, rest assured I'm not an idiot who drives with the tailgate up or even has the engine running and will continue to use the ventlocks responsibly. Its better than not having them, even in the shade while at a trial or show. BTW the website you posted clearly states for parked vehicles, not moving ones.
  • Options
    dewaltdakotadewaltdakota Member Posts: 364
    Sorry if I offened you with my reply. Unfortunately, while you may know not to drive with the Ventlock installed, someone else may see the post, think Ventlocks are cool, and not take it to the same conclusion (even if it's clearly posted in the instructions).

There are plenty of people that drive down the road with their tailgates propped open, in some way, shape or form. I'm glad to hear you're not one of them.
This discussion has been closed.