Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

GMC Envoy instrument panel problems

Comments

• fastillfastill Member Posts: 1
    I have a 04 Envoy and I am not sure if I am glad to see that I am not the only one with issues!
    My Rear Air: can not be controlled by the rear control
    will only work on High (3) from front control
    only works with AC no Heat (so I have to warm my car up even longer so the back gets heated so my children aren't cold!)
    My Rear Windshield Wiper: Works when it wants to
    My Tachometer: Stopped working yrs ago
    My Lights in my Buttons on Driver Door: Work when they want to
    My Speedometer: Went out on me yesterday!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :mad: :mad: :mad:
  • nicolemcnicolemc Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2005 Envoy and I am having the same issue. I fill up the tank and it does not read full, it continues t read empty. Have not taken it in yet because I am sure based on the research that I have done it could be very costly. While driving my son back to school with my three small children in the car the speedometor just stopped working. It was showing that I was going 120 miles when I was only going 40 ish. Now that I am having all these issues I have been looking on other sites and I wish that I would have NEVER bought this 2005 GMC ENVOY. The other thing that shocks me is that there has not been a recall on these issues. It has to be some sort of defect if this many people are having the same problem.
  • asmybb66asmybb66 Member Posts: 9
    I have the exact same problem with the fuel gauge, to get by it I keep track of my gallons used. I just have to make sure to reset it every time I fill up. I also just had the speedometer go out on it. I dont know what to do about that....it is very frustrating.
    edited February 2011
    I have a 2005 Envoy that I do love. But it is now going downhill. I have a check engine light on that is causing me issues because I can not pass an emissions test in my state. My gas gauge is busted, it ALWAYS shows empty and now my speedometer went bad, it is buried as far to the right as it will go. I also have the flickering headlights at times too. Looking at everyone's posting I can see this is a major issue that GM needs to look at. I am not a millionaire and can not afford to put money into this. I do not have a warranty as I bought it used in good shape.........I don't know what to do!!!!
  • rdyadonrdyadon Member Posts: 1
    As I have been reviewing the forum of Envoy problems, I see that many of the postings match my issues as well.

Our 2005 Envoy is having the following issues:

1. Speedometer malfunction - reading well above my actual speed. It used to clear itself by starting and turning of the ignition several times, but now it stays at the last posted speed and continues to go up during the next use until it pegs out at over 120mph.

2. Fuel guage malfunction - After filling the tank full, the gauge will show low fuel and trigger the low fuel alarm. It will behave this way for a few days, and then will eventually begin to work normal and indicate the correct fuel level.

3. The rear AC does not work consistently. The rear controls do not seem to work at all, only the front controls work. The rear AC works when the rear actuator (located in the left rear inside quarter panel) makes several tapping noises, but only then does the rear AC work.

4. Several of the Radio/CD Player and Heater/AC button LEDs do not work.

I am not the original owner of the vehicle. We bought it with ~60K miles. The car has 133K miles on it now. These issues started at about 115K miles, except for the fuel gauge problem which started within the last 5000 miles.

I appreciate that a GMC Customer Service Rep is monitoring this forum and is offering some form of assistance to some of the people with issues. I hope a positive outcome happens for most of these postings as a result.

Chritina, in order to intiate a complaint, do I need to take my car to a dealer?

Thank you for your due diligents.
    I currently have a case into GMC regarding this. For a start I recommend that everyone go to GMC's website and report this issue. The more people overwhelm them maybe we will get results. http://www.gmc.com/contactus/emailus_comment.jsp
  • hvrealcmphvrealcmp Member Posts: 9
    Sorry to be part of this group. Came to this site to see if there was a "quick fix" for my instrument panel-guess the answer is NO! Bought mine used (from my brother-in-law). Here are my issues to date (purchased Jun 2009). Honestly don't know if it's an SLE or an SLT. Mileage is less than 90K!
    1. Had to replace the front tie rods & assembly-$800. 2. Service engine soon light on almost since day one-onstar stated that it's a fuel cap problem (not replaced, tried to purchase through GMpartsdirect but "only available through dealership". My guess is so they can charge more. 3. Weather stripping falling off on all doors. 4. Instrument Cluster-All gauges (with the exception of oil pressure and fuel) inaccurate or nonfunctional. 5. Several light bulbs on dash (temp. adjust, radio, power window-obviously not on dash, etc.) burned out. Haven't tried to replace yet so they may not be that big a deal?... 6. Fan motor won't work on level (5) speed control (Off-4 okay).
    7. Rear windshield washer motor inop. (not to be confused with the wiper-it still works, for now).
    8. Accessory outlet was inop. Fixed with fuse replacement (20amp under the hood). 9. Had to replace rear hatch pistons (both door and glass). This is an item that could be legit, depending on use from previous owner. 10. Had forgot about the occasional headlight "flicker" that others are also experiencing. 11. Had to replace door stop on driver door (was making "popping" noise with every opening of door). The rivet was worn allowing "slop" and causing the noise. Again, could be a valid replacement item depending on usage. Many issues not fixed as I like to work on my own vehicles, even though engineers are making that next to impossible and unable to find new parts unless willing to go through the dealership so they can get their "cut" of the profit. Please continue to post problems (and solutions). Had another vehicle, different manufacturer and the only way to force correction (if GM won't do it of their own accord) is to file a formal complaint through NHTSA. This can be done online. The only way they can force a recall is numbers and severity. Please make the time and do it!
  • nothappy19nothappy19 Member Posts: 18
    edited February 2011
    I wrote some time ago about the headlight on my Envoy going out several times and finally found the wiring was melted together in the plug assembly. Friday night the other head light went out, i bought a new bulb, but before putting that one in we noticed that wiring assembly also had "caught fire" got Very Hot" the wires were all melted in it also. I feel for all you Envoy owners, when i see one going down the road, I feel sorry for them as I too am just as sick of dealing with my vehicle as you have.. I have been dealing with it for 4 years, just never know what is going to go wrong next. Is there maybe a recall on the headlight assembly? Oh by the was to someone who wrote - thanks for the info on the 20 amp fuse to fix the cig lighter/phone charger.
  • darlaglantzdarlaglantz Member Posts: 1
    edited February 2011
    We have a serious problem, with our 2003 Envoy SLT.

We bought it new, and have repaired and replaced many, many systems.

But now it will not pass inspection here in PA.

The engine light won't go out, in spite of 2 days of tracking down, with smoke machine and looking for the problem. And after replacing the gas cap and a solenoid.

We also have the problems in the instrument cluster with fuel guage inop and intermittent speedometer failures, and a wacky tachometer.

We have repaired and replaced many, many systems on this car. And didn't like it, but never complained to GMC.

Now, we are in a position that the car can't be driven legally.

What can I do to get some help in correcting this from GMC customer service?
  • nothappy19nothappy19 Member Posts: 18
    I guess I am glad Indiana does not have inspections, my Envoy probably would not pass either.
  • magnastymagnasty Member Posts: 26
    Darla, I hate the break the news to you, but you're screwed. GM has turned their back on the customer who purchased Envoys with all of the reported problems. They don't make the vehicle anymore so why bother. Customer Service will not do anything but have you talk to someone who will pretend to be in the position to help you, but the help they give is directing you to the nearest dealership.

But look at the(ir) bright side. When they get you into the dealership you will be so pissed off they figure you will be ready to buy another car from them. Win-win huh?
    I have posted earlier, but thought I would give some people a little help here. I contacted a local GM dealership that had heard of the problem and was willing to help. They plugged the truck in and gave me my answers to my check engine light and told me that my instrument cluster is busted, which I already knew. They also told me that their GM rep was willing to help. Because my truck is under 100,000 miles (just barely), that they can give me a new instrument cluster (valued at $300), all I have to do is pay for the install, which is only $150. The cluster replacement "may" fix my gas gauge problem as well. Needless to say, I am going to bite the bullet and replace the cluster, which they will warranty for 12 months or 12,000 miles. If for some reason GM realizes the problem and recalls this, I will be reimbursed for the labor.

I personally still have a case open with GMC and will keep pushing for them to realize their is a problem. I can't stress enough that we as Envoy owners keep telling GM what is going on. They can't do anything unless we all complain.

I would highly recommend that if you have a problem, contact a GM dealer and see if they can help you. It doesn't hurt to ask.

BTW, the GM dealership I took it to did not charge me for the diagnosis at all.
  • tiffanyntiffanyn Member Posts: 8
    Thank you for this info. Will you please post again when you find out whether or not replacing the instrument cluster resolved the fuel gauge problem?
  • ctreynolds6ctreynolds6 Member Posts: 2
    I purchased my 2005 GMC Envoy about about 3 years ago. It has about 80,000 miles on it, The fuel gauge started acting weird about a year after buying. It reads empty when full but sometimes goes to a quarter tank for a few seconds and goes back to empty setting off the warning sound. The oil pressure gauge needle goes past numbers for a while then it will go back to normal. he speedometer will read faster than what we are going, or it will just bury the needle. The stereo does not work when it is to cold out, pretty much when it is 55 degrees or below. Its really annoying that no recalls have been done with all the problems with the electrical. What can I do?
    Glad to hear you made some head way. I agreee (and have posted this many times), unless we collectively complain, GM will not respond. It's the squecky wheel syndrome!

Good Luck!
  • ltlbitoneltlbitone Member Posts: 1
    If possible can u post which dealership and your contact name.. Have a 2004 doing the same thing and want my local dealership to do what yours did.... thanks
    The dealership I went to was Horter Chevrolet in Mukwonago, WI. The service manager was great in helping me out with this. Please email me directly and I will give you my name. My email is: asmybb66@yahoo.com. Please reference this website please.
    Also, please contact the National Transportation Safety Bureau too and file a complaint. Their web address is: www.safercar.gov.
    Contact your local dealership and have them contact their GM representative. Also, file a complaint with GMC and also file a complaint on the NTSB website. Their webaddress is: www.safercar.gov
    I have had the instrument cluster replaced. Unfortunately, it did not fix the gas gauge issue. This problem is stated as the sending unit is broken.
    Everyone, please, please contact GMC, the Better Business Bureau as well as the National Transportation Bureau (NTSB) at www.safercar.gov and report these issues.
    We all need to take a stand on this. We all need to speak to them and tell them what is going on. The more complaints they receive the better chance of getting a recall on these problems.
    If anyone has any questions for me on where to go, please email me at asmybb66@yahoo.com, and reference this website. I will be glad to help!!!!!
  • gmcustsvcgmcustsvc Member Posts: 4,252
    asmybb66,
    I am happy to hear that your problem has been resolved and you now have a warranty on the parts and labor. I'm also very happy to hear about the service at the dealer. We at GM appreciate all of your feedback on what’s going on with your vehicles and at the dealers. I completely agree when you say the only way GM will know what is going on is if you, the customers, let us know. This is one reason I am out here to assist. If you are experiencing this problem I encourage you to contact someone at GM. Whether it is myself or GM Customer Assistance (the telephone number is in your owners manual). I hope everyone has a great weekend!
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
  • jescobar1jescobar1 Member Posts: 1
    please contact me as I'm also having the same issue with the fuel sending unit on my 2006 Envoy Denali.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Click on the member name to get contact info.
    To: gmcustsvc

Now that you have read all of the complaints about the Envoy, I am sure you have relayed these issues to someone who can or should be able to help the owners with their problems. These problems should have escalated by now. What is GM saying about addressing the issues that the owners are having? Is GM willing to announce a campaign to have these issues fixed at no charge to the customer? With so many of the same problems reported across the country, I would think they would pro-actively address this.

Can you please let us know the status of the communication that has been shared with GM? I am sure GM does not disgruntled customers walking away and buying Toyota, Ford or any other competitor.
  • pocketpocket Member Posts: 29
    I have posted in here before about the problems I have had with my 04 Envoy XUV. The gauges are totally messed up. The tachometer does not work, the speedometer works only when it wants to, the oil pressure gauge is pegged out, the voltmeter is pegged out, the only gauge that does work consistently is the fuel gauge. The rear door latches all 3 of them have been replaced no less than 6 times in the last year. And oh yeah, they are out again. I have to strap the tail gate closed with ratchet straps. GMC did warranty the parts for one year or 12,000 miles which ever comes first, but what they don't tell you is that they only warranty the parts from when they first fail. In other words, if you have part that fails and they replace it at say 50,000 miles, and the part fails again at 60,000 miles, and they replace that part under warranty, and then it fails again at 63,000 miles, oh so sorry, your part is out of warranty because the warranty of from the original replacement at 50,000. I talked to a dealership about replacing the instrument panel in my Envoy, at a cost of $800.00 and they will warranty the part for 12 mos. or 12,000 miles alright, but there is no guarantee that it will not fail again. I am fed up with car manufacturers that put out a vehicle with so many problems, and are not willing to fess up to the fact that they screwed up, and just handle the problem. I have had my problems since the vehicle had 60,000 miles on it. It now has over 100,000 on it, and GMC will not even talk to me about a replacement at no cost. I also have a 2003 GMC Sierra with the same gauge problem. There is supposed to be a recall on this problem, but I will believe it when I see it. Good luck everyone.
  • simon26simon26 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2005 Envoy with 119000 miles. Like everyone else i am experiencing fuel gauge issues, oil gauge issues, tailight issues, headlights flickering, sudden accelerating while sitting at a light or stop sign and recently i have this sort of ticking/ clicking sound in the front, maybe from motor. This sound is weird cause it only does it when i'm moving and i accelerate to pass or go up a hill. Sounds kind of like an exhaust leak but its not. I had it checked for that...has anyone else experienced this and maybe know what the problem is?
    Hello GM Customers,
    (simon26, pocket, magnasty, jescobar1, and anyone else experiencing concerns)
    I do see the problems you are experiencing. What I would like each of you to do is email me directly with the following information:
    Contact Information (including a good number to reach you)
    Your Situation (times in the dealers, experiences, specific problems)
    VIN and Current Mileage
    Involved dealer
    If you have not taken your vehicle to the dealer you will need to do so. This is part of the process. GM must have the vehicle diagnosed by an authorized GM Dealer. I look forward to working with you!
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
  • lagirl88lagirl88 Member Posts: 2
    Christina,

What is your email address? I am experiencing the same problems with a 2006 GMC Envoy, have taken it to the dealership, have been in contact with a GMC representative and to no avail - received no HELP with the expenses. All I am asking for is help with replacing some of the same issues everyone else is having with their Envoys. At a mere price of a little over $1000 I have requested GMC to take care of.

Monica
  • lagirl88lagirl88 Member Posts: 2
    Thank you for sending this message to Christina. I agree - everyone who owns these Envoys, all of sudden, have the same problems happening at the same time. DOES not make sense to me. I am one of those owners and just recently came on board with the posting of messages, etc. It sounds like these vechiles were put together poorly or like they say - we got lemons for the money we paid instead of a reliable vehicle. My Envoy is a 2006 (a little over 100,000 miles) and problem after problem. All I've requested from GMC is to replace those damaged parts.

Christina - PLEASE help US!
    Click on Christina's member name (gmcustsvc) and you can find her contact info.

This works for any member, but you won't be able to see email info unless the member chooses to make that public in their Profile.
    Thanks for the offer, but it is too late. After 26+ years of GM ownership, the problems with the Envoy and GM's apathetic attitude did me in and I dumped it for a BMW.
  • johnlarockajohnlarocka Member Posts: 1
    How do I get your email?
    Click on the member name in any post. If the member doesn't mind other members contacting them, the email will be marked public in the profile.
    Hi Christina,

I sent you an email yesterday with the details of the issues I am experiencing. Will you please confirm that you received my email?

Thank you,

Tiffany Norene
  • frankie62frankie62 Member Posts: 21
    What is the stepper motor you installed ?? do you have to pull the dash off to do this ???..
    Not the person you requested info. from but you (and several others may find this useful). My solution is different. There is a company in N. Dakota that will fix your instrument panel (or temperature controller) for $169 ($189 to analyze all gauges and not just the ones currently messed up). Their website: http://www.mrwhizard.com/index.cfm. My panel is on its way there as I write this. Turnaround is 9-11 business days (check the website, it may be less for your area). Panel removal is simple and only requires a philips #2 screwdriver and a 9/32 socket or nut driver. I have created a Powerpoint with directions and photos (it will be available through Mr. Whizard shortly-I just sent it to them today). If you want it before then, give me your email address and I will forward it to you (bad news is that it's a 9 meg file)-sorry, not willing to display mine (to much junk mail!). My reasons for sending the panel off: they have a 2 year guarantee (5 years for some extra $), it's not GM (which I don't know if they have fixed the problems with the panel), it's at least $300 cheaper than a new panel, and the option to buy one from a salvage yard won't necessarily fix your problem. Most of us need to use our vehicles, so you'll be glad to know that you can still drive it while the panel is being repaired (as long as you have a GPS with speed readout). You will also want to make sure you keep a full tank of gas! Chances are most gauges aren't working anyway, or you wouldn't need the thing repaired! Another issue for those of you that have repaired your panel and the gas gauge still doesn't work and the OBD code says it's your sending unit, these are normally in the fuel tank. I suggest getting it repaired from a technician you trust or if GM will honor their warranty, you can have them do it. I will put out a new post when I get my panel back and let you know how it turned out.
  • juliehopsonjuliehopson Member Posts: 2
    I have the exact same problem. I had contacted GM cust service via email and they did set up a case for me. When GM called me back this morning, she said based on my milage she could not help me with the "special coverage" that other people are getting their vehicle fixed on. Obviously with many GM owners experiencing the identical problem, there is a design flaw. I'm going to report my problems to the NTSB at safercar.gov and the Better Business Bureau and whoever else will listen.
    I got the same run around from GMC's customer support. I'm the original owner of '03 GMC Envoy with 112K. You would think since most owners are the original buyers of the vehicles they would at least pay for 1/2 the cost to replace the instrument panel. Average cost is approx $700.00 is what I've heard. I have 2 other GM vehicles (Pontiacs) and I hope I don't start having probs with them too. Maybe if we all keep on them they would re-consider posting a recall. It could become a safety issue for some.
    Hi Julie,

I experienced the same thing... contacted the social media department, and they set up a case number for me. To make a long story short, a "district manager" in SC told me they couldn't help with the cost of repair of my fuel tank sending unit. He told me that my incident is "isolated" and "this is not a known problem" at GM. I explained that this IS a known problem, since the social media department requested information from people experiencing these issues. (Plus, the local service manager told the customer service rep and me that this is a common problem with this vehicle.) He told me that other factors in his decision not to assist are that I am the second owner of the vehicle and that I didn't purchase it directly from the dealer. That makes no sense... they still manufacture the vehicle!

It just doesn't make sense... it seems like it would be easier for GM to take care of the customers (at least split the repair costs) than have a bunch of upset customers that won't buy another GM vehicle.

Hope you are having a good day!

Tiffany
  • floridasbestfloridasbest Member Posts: 6
    That doesnt make any sense Tiffany, since I bought my vehicle new from a GM dealership. I had an extended warranty and all, but my miles are over 70K now. I never used the extended warranty for any service either. GM is just blowing smoke up everyone's azz to get them off the phone. Seriously, will never purchase any vehicle in the GM family ever again. Didn't GM get a corporate bailout? GM might need another one if all of us decide to take our business elsewhere. GM doesnt care about their customers - thats clear.
    I couldn't agree with you more. This is the first American-made vehicle I have purchased. Perhaps I'll go back to Toyota/Acura, Nissan, and Mazda. I didn't have problems at only 65,000 miles with any of these vehicles.

I was so pleased when Christina from Social Media reached out to us through this forum. I thought "Wow, they really care about their customers." Now I am completely disappointed in them.

Thanks for your reply! Have a good day...

Tiffany
    Folks, if you look back in this forum and see the posting I submitted on 3-7 asking the GM customer service folks here how these complaints are being diseminated to GM, you will understand GM's position. In short, they are not. I, like many, only received a phone call apologizing for the inconvience then telling me how much it will cost to fix the problem. Nothing more.

Please understand, GM has moved on way past this issue and they simply no longer care about the customers suffering through these problems. Think about it, how many people on this forum have come back and stated that GM has fixed their issues at no charge?
    frankie62,
    I apologize you are not satisfied with the resolution of your case. The cases are handled case by case; however, the more people that speak with customer assistance does help bring the concerns to GM's attention. Just because one person did not get the resolution they expected this should not prevent anyone from speaking with them. As most situations have variances. If anyone needs anything please contact me directly.
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
  • sbaynesbayne Member Posts: 3
    edited April 2011
    Go to RockAuto site cluster is $200 plus refundable core charge

http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/moreinfo.php?pk=2347034

There are two different clusters.

I just bought a 2004 XUV with 17,000 original miles and notice two things with the cluster so far. One is the battery light stays on and two, the low fuel light flickers now and then. I hope this is not a sign of things to come as this vehicle is in pristine condition other than this.
    Tiffany,

I apologize that you did not get the resolution that you were seeking. Each case is evaluated on a case by case basis. Our social media department is here to contact any customer on the forum experiencing concerns; this does not necessarily mean this is a known issue to GM. I understand you see a lot of posts on this forum regarding these concerns, and it is my job to set up these cases to make GM aware of the customers concerns.

Thank you,
    Caron, GM Customer Service
    Come you can't say that GMC does not necessarily know about this problem. There's too many ENVOY owners out there experiencing the same problems with the instrument panel. GMC should have a recall. They shouldn't wait until someone gets hurt or worse killed, because their speedometer or other gauges do not work properly. Even if GMC helps with just 1/2 the cost to replace would be something. I own 2 other General Motors vehicles and I hope I don't have the same problems as i do with my '03 Envoy.
    Thank you, Caron. I appreciate your response and explanation. When the district manager here told me that my case was "isolated", it just didn't make sense to me (and it still doesn't). There are enough Envoy owners talking about this, that my case far from isolated. In addition, it is my understanding that when GM Customer Care talked with a service supervisor at my local dealership, the supervisor told him this is a common problem with this make/model. That alone should have alerted the district manager that my case wasn't "isolated". As I told the district manager, GM customers that are experiencing these problems would be happier and more apt to purchase another GM in the future if GM would help make this right (only because so many people are experiencing the same type of issues). For GM to assist customers with repair costs would be minimal expense compared to losing GM customers for good. Again, thank you for your reply. Tiffany
  • sbaynesbayne Member Posts: 3
  • pocketpocket Member Posts: 29
    Ok, I have had it with GMC. I will never ever buy another GM product. I contacted socialmedia, and after several e-mails with Christina, I was informed that unless I took my vehicle to a GM dealership to have it checked out, which by the way is 100 miles away due to GM closing several of their dealerships, and paying $80.00 for each vehicle to be checked out (I have two with the exact same problem) they could do nothing for me. I dont have the money to do what they want me to do. I have spent a small fortune for these 2 vehicles, and an even smaller fortune keeping them fixed. So Christina, I thank you for at least contacting me, and TRYING to help. I know you are only following your companys policy's, but if they keep pissing loyal customers off and basicly forcing them to buy other vehicles, there will not be a Government Motors the next time around. I have been a loyal GM customer for over 40 years, and now I am finished with them. Good luck to all of you in here, and God bless the future ones to come, they are going to need it.
    Okay. Got my instrument panel back from Mr. Whizard (see post #198). Have driven over 200 miles and all is well. They replaced all the stepper motors and light bulbs. If you are like me and can't afford to sell your vehicle using one of the panel repair companies with good feedback from previous customers! After sending off my panel, I found several other places willing to fix them. It's still early in my evaluation of this repair but it beats GMC service by a mile and thanks to all of you I didn't waste any money going to them for assistance 1st! Disappointed (along w/everyone else) why GMC refuses to admit a problem to retain its customer base. I was always taught that "word of mouth" will lose you at least five customers per person with problems. In today's age, I can't imagine less than 10 people with all the people that use the internet and other communication to let others know of their disatisfaction with any product. I have other problems to correct with this vehicle and will post them as I get them taken care of (hopefully helping you all save some money (if you plan/need to fix yourself, like I plan on doing)). My best wishes to all expecting value for their money spent on any product you purchase and the company won't stand behind it-greedy bas****s! Lost another vehicle due to that company standing behind their vehicle either (Chrysler Concorde "sludge"-still under warranty, but not covered-bought it new!). Best advice is to report all problems to the NHTSA (nhtsa.gov) so the government can force the manufacturers of defective products to recall them (the manufacturers closely monitor this website, so you don't need to waste your money going to them for help-try though, if your vehicle is under warranty)!

Mike