Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

GMC Envoy instrument panel problems

Comments

• ldonivanldonivan Member Posts: 2
    edited April 2011
    We've had all of the same troubles already listed: CD player went first, which I didn't bother to fix. Then it was the tach & speedometer, then the oil pressure, then gas gauge. Next the radio began to work only sporadically. Heat & AC work on driver's side only, a thing no one seems able to fix or even explain. Now the latest thing is that if you turn the fan on it either accelerates on its own, or dies. It also runs through relays/fuses like crazy- we've given up replacing them on lighters- can't charge cells or anything else, which is a pain. An absolute nightmare.

We bought this thing not even a year old, but of course problems started after warranty. GM referred us to dealership where we bought it, but just our luck the dealership where they foisted this thing off on us went out of business. I know two other people with the instrument cluster issue. Why is there no recall?
  • ldonivanldonivan Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for posting this! Will look and see if we can find something in our area, but if not, Mr. Whizard is certainly cheaper than GMC- & I don't have much faith in them anyhow.
  • ms33362ms33362 Member Posts: 6
    FYI, the local electrician said he wouldnt touch my envoy xl, states this model is to complicated. took it to the dealer. They Reset the dual accuator, didnt work so they replaced dual accuator (for left and right AC) and the wires were melting from behind the number #4 control knob.
  • gmcustsvcgmcustsvc Member Posts: 4,252
    ldonivan,

I would like to look further into your situation. Could you please email me your VIN and the involved dealership?

Thank you,
    Caron, GM Customer Service
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    A reporter is looking to interview anyone with a GM vehicle that doesn't seem to accurately read fuel levels.

Please email pr@edmunds.com Friday, April 29, 2011 to share your story.
  • floridasbestfloridasbest Member Posts: 6
    Good deal, maybe a reporter will get GM to move on all of our Envoy's fuel gauge problems. I've already sent my email to you
    Ran out of gas yesterday as I was heading to the gas station. Of course this had to eventually happen since the fuel gauge always reads zero. I wish GM would accept responsibility for their defective instrument panels for ALL of us. :lemon:
  • magnastymagnasty Member Posts: 26
    edited May 2011
    I ran across this on msnbc.com The NHTSA is now involved. It pays to let your voice be heard.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/42857117/ns/business-autos
  • andym3andym3 Member Posts: 5
    That's great but they only seem to focus on the fuel gauge. The instrument cluster is affecting almost all gauges. My speedometer reads "pegged" at idle and my oil gauge is always pegged while my fuel gauge works fine...for now!
  • amdevamdev Member Posts: 1
    My wife's 2003 GMC Envoy started to act up last week. 62000 miles. Door chimes, blinking instrument lights, gauges moving. The fuel gauge will go to empty. I assume that this is due to a bad cluster. Will be contacting the NHTSA about this. Amazing how so many people can have the same problem with a vehicle and GMC does nothing. This is the last GMC vehicle I will buy. My toyota is quickly approaching 100k without an issue.
    edited May 2011
    Once they start looking into the fuel gage, hopefully the problems with the entire instrument cluster will become obvious. The inclusion of the NHTSA is a step in the right direction. Good luck to everyone.
  • sooz1sooz1 Member Posts: 1
    Caron, GM Customer Service;

My Trailblazer is having the same issue with the instrument cluster, yet the Trailblazer model was excluded from the recall. From the multiple complaints I'm finding on numerous forums such as this one, I'm not alone in wondering why. I use this car to transport not only my children to school, but their friends as well. I am scheduled to drive and chaperone a field trip later this month. That's going to be pretty tough, not to mention extremely dangerous, when I can't tell how fast I'm driving. When all is said and done, I'm going to be out about $800 getting this thing repaired The Chevy dealer refuses to fix it until they complete (and charge me for) a diagnosis visit. Including the diagnosis visit, I will be without the car for three days as they tell me the repair will take 2 days.
    sooz1,

I understand your frustrations with your situations. As all major companies or corporations, we have standard operating procedures. GM does handle their customers individually, not all situations are the same, so they must be handled on a case by case basis. I am here to help make GM aware of your situations. The only way I can do this is with your assistance. First, I need your contact information (including a good number to reach you), VIN, current mileage, involved dealer, and a break down of what you are experiencing. The best way to get me this information is a direct email. If you are unsure or uncomfortable please feel free to inquire with the host, or send me an email with your telephone number and I can give you a call. Second, the vehicle must be taken to a GM Dealer. They have a contract with GM and must look at the vehicle. For GM to know you are experiencing issues, you must contact GM; whether it is me via email or Customer Assistance via the telephone. This will help identify the problem and how large it is. I understand when you are experiencing these concerns these processes can be frustrating. All concerns, whether it be with a dealer or your vehicle, are documented in the cases set up if you directly contact GM. If you would like to call Customer Assistance and speak with someone the number is in your owners manual, or email me and I can provide it to you. If you would like me to assist you, please feel free to email me the information requested above.

• polaris1987polaris1987 Member Posts: 1
    Christina,
    I would love to have my dealership check out my problems, but I cannot afford it right now. I bought the car used in June of 2010, so no warranty is still in place.
    polaris1987,

I understand however in order for us to assist in setting up a case the vehicle must first be diagnosed by an Authorized GM Dealership. So if you would like to precede with this please let me know and I will get the necessary information from you.

Thank you,
  • frankie62frankie62 Member Posts: 21
    Good Morning Caron,

I previously submitted problems with the RPM Gauge on my '03 GMC Envoy, pegging out straight south on the display. Now I am having fuel gauge problems, not registering the correct amount of fuel in the tank. On Tues my wife was at one of the busiest intersections in town when the Envoy stalled out, could not get it to start, fuel gauge registered 1/4 gas, she had it pushed to the nearest parking lot. I met her and decided to put more gas into it and it started. Now my RPM and Fuel gauges are messed up. Thankfully she was not entering the intersection when it stalled, she probably would've been rear-ended. This is definitely a possible safety issue. I just hope GMC does not wait until someone gets hurt or worse to take action. There are too many Envoys out there having these same issues to be ignored by GMC. :( Frank
    Frank,

I apologize for the issues you are experiencing with your vehicle. Could you please email me your VIN? I would like to look further into your situation.

Thank you,
  • afeaganafeagan Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2003 GMC Envoy: the instrument cluster wont light at night. I took it to my local mechanic and the cluster has been replaced and reprogrammed (x2 because they first cluster must be bad), the module has been replaced and reprogrammed, some type of other light switch was replaced. The mechanic is giving up saying take it to the dealership. I cannot afford a bunch of additional diagnostic work to get this fixed. Does GM already know a solution to the problem and a mechanic in Dallas who can help?
    To GM Customer Service,

Now that you have gathered enough information to approach GM with, what is your next course of action? I know you tell the customers to go to the dealership, but that only costs more time and money because the stealerships will only gouge the consumer. Now, that you have read where customers have safety concerns, how would you like for these to be addressed? Will GM wait for someone to die before they acknowledge a flaw in their product? Based on the inactivity and PR speak, I believe they will.

All consumers need to flood nhtsa.gov with phone calls, emails and whatever else. Again, GM has proven they will not respond until pushed by the government......even after we tax payers help to bail their sorry butts out.
    It references 2005 Envoys and on...there are a lot of 2003 Envoy, like mine, that are experiencing the same symptoms. I submitted a complaint to the NHTSA/ODI on 11May.. Hopefully they'll correct the model year back to 2003.
    :mad:
    What did it cost you to replace the stepper motors and bulbs ? :mad:
    GM Customers,
    I understand your frustrations with your situations. As all major companies or corporations, we have standard operating procedures. GM does handle their customers individually, not all situations are the same, so they must be handled on a case by case basis. I am here to help make GM aware of your situations. The only way I can do this is with your assistance. First, I need your contact information (including a good number to reach you), VIN, current mileage, involved dealer, and a break down of what you are experiencing. The best way to get me this information is a direct email. If you are unsure or uncomfortable please feel free to inquire with the host, or send me an email with your telephone number and I can give you a call. Second, the vehicle must be taken to a GM Dealer. They have a contract with GM and must look at the vehicle. For GM to know you are experiencing issues, you must contact GM; whether it is me via email or Customer Assistance via the telephone. This will help identify the problem and how large it is. I understand when you are experiencing these concerns these processes can be frustrating. All concerns, whether it be with a dealer or your vehicle, are documented in the cases set up if you directly contact GM. If you would like to call Customer Assistance and speak with someone the number is in your owners manual, or email me and I can provide it to you. If you would like me to assist you, please feel free to email me the information requested above. I hope everyone has a great weekend!
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
  • jtampasaintjtampasaint Member Posts: 1
    Last week my wife call me, saying she was doing 65 in a 15.... So I'm like what the %@*!/# are u doing so she tells me she's not doing 65..... but the speed odometer is saying she was doing 65. So she gets home and I takes her truck for a drive with no problem.......so today she used my truck and I used her suv (04 envoy) to get the oil changed stop to get gas with a 1/4 tank showing I put 20$ in the tank and WOW! a full tank. So I leave the gas pump now I'm doing about 60 in a 20 school zone that's what the odometer is saying what's going on with this 04 envoy with 81000 miles........ please help!
    If you continue to read the EDMUNDS ENVOY FORUM you will see that there are many Envoy owners experiencing the problems as you. The instrument panel is defective and can cause erroneous readings on all your gauges. On my '03 my RPM needle is pegged due south, I'm getting bad readings on my fuel gauge, my wife ran out of gas with 1/4 showing. I m sure I will start experiencing more probs with all the gauges soon enough. I've submitted this to the NHTA for analysis and possible recall action. If you take it to a GMC dealer, the cost is pretty high. I'm trying to hold on for a possible recall. Good Luck.
    To GM Customer Service,

Christina,

Thanks for the offer, but I am already been that route. I spoke with customer service who put me in contact with someone in my area. The result? I was told to take my Envoy back to the dealership and they would give me an estimate on the repairs...at MY cost. Oh, and I forgot, he did apologize for the inconvenience. Whatever that is supposed to mean.

As I have said many times in this forum. I worked for GM for over 20 years. I was a part of the old PICOS studies in the late 80's/early 90's when GM allegedly squeezed their suppliers for substantial cost reductions and allegedly the suppliers provided substandard materials. Research what happened with head cover gaskets on many engines in the mid-90's.
    frankie62,
    I apologize for your frustrations. Can you please emaile me your VIN? I would like to look into this further for you.
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,046
    Can you please emaile me your VIN?

All... please note..

If you have specific information for gmcustsvc, put it in an e-mail... not in the forums!

Thanks!
    kyfdx
    Host - SUV Forums

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• 2xenvoyowner2xenvoyowner Member Posts: 1
    I purchased my 04 Envoy used in 07 with 36000 miles and gave my 02 to my wife. I never received a recall from GM regarding this issue. Mine is not as serious as the others I've read and it is only my speedo acting up from time to time. I drive often so know pretty well how fast I'm going or just pace the traffic. This happens maybe once or twice a month and either starts below 0 or around 60 and then just as fast goes away and is fine for a while. I read somewhere to check a ground wire first... but i digress. Like I said I never got a recall in the whole time I've owned it and it now has 104k on it. I hope they include 03's and o4's in their investigations.
    As far as I know there isn't a recall on the instrument panel. I've been waiting to see if GMC will bend a little and put one out. My '03's RPM and Fuel gauges have been acting up for sometime now. Have been trying to wait it out for a possible recall. I submitted a complaint to the US DOT NHTSA if everyone does the same maybe they will force GMC to take action. Go to "https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov" and submit a safety complaint. :(
  • daymsanforddaymsanford Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2005 Envoy and I have had nothing but problems since the day I bought it. I purchased it Jan of 07 with 20,000 miles on it. Feb 07 the transmission went out. Thank god for the warranty. Feb of 08 the idler pulley, thermostat and fuel pump went out, this time under extended warranty. In May of 09 my oil gauge stopped working and them my speedometer started going out. Some days it would work some days it would say I was going 110mph when I was only going 30mph. (I use my GPS now as my speedometer) Eventually my gas gauge stopped working and when I took it in I contacted my warranty comp and I just happened to be 72 miles over my extended warranty. The mechanic told me my instrument panel was shot and it would be $570 for the part and I would get $200 back if I brought the old one back to them. Labor would be $150 if they did it. I told them no I was going to contact GMC and make them do something about it because I have read hundreds of blogs about the exact same issue with GMC's. The customer service agent at GMC said I would have to take it to a GM store and have a diagnostic test ran at my own cost ($150) and then they would do an investigation. After two months of waiting they called me and told me that with much research they do not have enough issue complaints to do a recall. I was furious!!!! Of course my short temper I ripped him a new a**hole and hung up on him. I know, didn't do any good but i got to vent a bit. Anyways, I dont think I have talked to one mechanic including GM mechanics that hasn't worked on an Envoy with this issue. We are stuck with having to pay for a part that they know is defective in probably 98% of the Envoys out there.
    My newest issue is my headlights have just decided to stop working. Its not the fueses, or the bulbs but they told me it is either faulty wiring or the cluster. So $500 will be pulled out of the savings and blown on something the damn comp should pay for. Never again a GM vehicle!!
    I ran out of gas again yesterday since my fuel gauge doesnt work. Unless I fill the tank completely each time, it gets hard to remember how many approximate miles I have. Using the trip meter as a replacement gas gauge sucks. I've already made a complaint at safercar.gov - when is GM gonna own up to these instrument panel failures? I randomly ran into another envoy owner at a convenient store and asked if she had any problems with her panel. Her service engine light and fuel gauge were also not working properly. Hello ?General Motors? This isn't just a fluke. All of us cant just be 'an isolated incident'. :lemon:
  • thorndogcarsthorndogcars Member Posts: 1
    My fuel is showing empty when full, engine light on and my speedo works sporadically..where do I go to for fix please. 2005 Envoy 64000 miles.
    Help!
    floridasbest,

I apologize for the problems you are experiencing with your vehicle. Could you please email me your VIN? I would like to look further into your situation.

Thank you,
    daymsanford,

Could you please email me your VIN? I would like to look further into your situation.

Thank you,
  • dgerstner80dgerstner80 Member Posts: 1
    :mad: I just started having weird issues with my 2004 Envoy XL, the RPM and Speedometer gages and the oil pressure gage. RPMs just go where ever and stick and the Speedometer goes to 120 when I am driving and when the gage goes crazy on the road you can not use the cruse control. When I stop after a period of time on the road the oil pressure gage bounces back and forth. What is going on? I see I am not the only one with this issue. :mad:
    thorndogcars,

Could you please email me your VIN? I would like to look further into your situation.

Thank you,
  • rayhitchrayhitch Member Posts: 6
    I love my GMC Envoy, but recently the fuel gauge became eratic. If I add a bottle of Chevron Fuel Cleaner, it will read "F" when filled, but after it uses about 1/4 tank of gas, it stays at "E" and I have to interpolate the miles until actual empty. I would like to know the cause, the minimal fix, and if GMC is planning a recall for this problem which seems to be fairly common. Thanks for your help.
  • daymsanforddaymsanford Member Posts: 2
    Ok, this post is regarding my previous post on June 19th. I was saying I had instrument issues, well I called my local gm dealer to schedule an appt to have the cluster replaced and the guy at the service counter gave me the estimates around $540 total part and labor. When I asked him if he had the part he slipped and said "we have to order it from ISS and then we can get you in". I told the guy I would call him back and called the ISS place and got a quote on a cluster for $188 including tax. I decided to just go on youtube and see how to replace it myself. I got the part and it took me 15 mins to replace. Bad thing is I still don't have headlights and my fuel gauge is still not working...ugh!!!! I found out my fuel sensor is broke and I need to replace it. What the hell I just had to have my fuel pump replaced a yr and a half ago. It is a never ending thing with this damn vehicle. So now I have to have a mechanic look at my electrical crap to find out why my headlights arent working. They have always been kinda sketchy since I bought the vehicle but all the shops told me it was just my battery dimming them when I pushed on the gas. Dumb asses.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,046
    Please keep your VINs out of the forums...

If you wish to contact gmcustsvc with your personal information, just click on the membername, and their e-mail will display..

Thanks!
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

rayhitch,
    I apologize for your concerns. If you would like to email me your VIN I would be happy to look into open recall information for you. Have a great weekend!
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
  • rayhitchrayhitch Member Posts: 6
    Thanks, Christina, for responding to my inquiry so quickly. The VIN for my Envoy is 1GKDS13S872209925. It would be a great help if you could find out anything on this problem. Best wishes.
    Ray (rayhitch)
    rayhitch,
    I apologize for your frustrations. Can you please email me with your complete contact information including a good number to reach you, current mileage, and involved dealer? I look forward to your response. Have a great 4th of July weekend!
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
  • parisstudioparisstudio Member Posts: 2
    Is it possible you can emaill me the number for ISS? I would really appreciate it since I can't afford $500 for this fix. Please email it to digilin@aol.com, Thanks
  • sunshyne057sunshyne057 Member Posts: 3
    I have a 2005 Envoy SLT. The check engine light started with my alternator, then the thermostat, the gas gage is off and I have to fill up and count miles and hope that me running the ac doesn't mess me up. One day I was driving and turned on the ac and the whole car shut off while I was driving. Had to replace the fuse box under the steering wheel ($600) and I've had nothing but problems from the car. The check engine light seems to stay on no matter how many times I take it to the dealership. At this point, I've pretty much given up and don't plan on putting anymore money into it until it completely breaks down...again. I know now not to ever buy from GM.
    sunshyne057,

I apologize for the problems you are experiencing with your vehicle. Could you please email me your VIN? I would like to look further into your situation.

Thank you,
    sunshyne057. GM's social media will set up a case for you, have someone from cust serv call you and tell you they wont cover your instrument panel failures. Even though 850,000 GM owners have problems with their instrument panels, they have not officially done a recall. I'm not exactly sure why GM social media trolls these sites to pretend to help all of us except maybe PR, but, they certainly dont help in any meaningful way like say paying for these repairs, but I digress. Please go to www.safercar.gov and make a complaint on your vehicle. The more of us that report our failures to NHTSA the better. GM certainly doesnt want to pay for faulty parts for 850000 vehicles. Here is an article that tells of their investigation. >> http://wheels.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/04/29/865000-general-motors-s-u-v-s-under-i- nvestigation-for-faulty-fuel-gauge/

Go through the motions of sending in your VIN to GM social media, await GM's call from customer service, and then go make a complaint to NHTSA (safercar.gov). Social Media nothing but lip service.

Julie Hopson
    2005 Envoy purchased new from Crown GM St Pete Florida
    Fuel Gauge inoperable/Check Engine Light always on. Only 4 more payments and the POS is all mine.
    What does sending you my VIN number do?
    Thanks a million!!!
  • pocketpocket Member Posts: 29
    With all the problems that the Envoy has, and the way that Social Media canvases this website with the pretence on trying to help people. You would think that someone would come forward and actualy say that they have been helped by social media. IF there is one person out there that has actualy been helped by GMC please post a message in here and let me know. I seriously doube there is one out there.
  • pocketpocket Member Posts: 29
    edited July 2011
    daymsanford,
    Could you please e-mail me the address to ISS, or their website address. I would love to get rid of my failed instrument cluster. Did you have to have your mileage reset? If so how did you do it? Please post a message in here, and I will receive it.

Thanks, Pocket