Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

GMC Envoy instrument panel problems

Comments

• pocketpocket Member Posts: 29
    Ok gang here goes, with a little back reading, and a little luck, I found the stepper motors on E-bay. If you go to E-bay, and click on auto parts, then in the search type in stepper motors, you will find them. Prices range from $2.95 on up. One suggestion I can offer is to select motors from a reputable supplier. Good luck and happy hunting.
    I found the stepper motor on E-bay if you log into E-bay, and find auto parts, and then when a search window comes up, type in stepper motors, it will take you to many sites all of which has stepper motors. The part number you look for is 25 168. I have not bought mine as yet, as I am checking out different suppliers. The one I am leaning towards is $9.50 from Mandigital. He seems to have a good reputation for selling on E-bay, and also fixes these digital instrument panels. Good luck.
  • mattdyemattdye Member Posts: 1
    I am having the same problem. I have a GMC Envoy 2004. We all might want to write to the NHTSA and alert them of this "speed control issue" This may get them motivated to help GM do the right thing and recall the vehicles for this problem. Here is what I wrote: "The Instrument Panel Cluster on my GMC Envoy 2004 is defective as it is on a multitude of other GM Models between 2003 and 2005. One of the consequences is that the speedometer will not work or will report a faulty reading while operatiing the vehicle. This is an unsafe driving condition and for some reason GM has not yet issued a recall on this IPC problem for GMC Envoys of the year 2004 even though other years of this model and other models of GM vehicles have been recalled for this exact issue. Please help GM do the right thing by it's Envoy owners. We have certainly bailed them out enough. There is another potentially deady consequence of this issue. If one were to be driving the vehicle at 60mph using cruise control and the speedometer were to all of a sudden peg itself to 20mph, there would be a sudden and abrupt acceleration as the computer in the car attempted to regain 60mph even though the vehicle was already at that speed. Thank you for your time and attention to this dangerous speed control issue. Matt Dye"
  • nothappy19nothappy19 Member Posts: 18
    Need to know where to write to about these GMC'S Envoy's. I think they look nice, have a wonderful stereo, comfy, but LEMON'S !!!! Oh Boy...
  • zman333zman333 Member Posts: 1
    I have just had this item replaced because of the same issues mentioned here....stuck at 80mph today, 120mph tomorrow, working fine the next day, etc., for $610 (450 for the panel). I know, I'm still walking funny. Get this, I told the dealer that I wanted the old Instrument Cluster. They said "oh, that would be an additional $250 (core cost for part). I blew my top and told them that I owned the part and was not going to pay them for it. They said that this is because they have to send the part back to be "refurbished"? I said "Bulls^^t!". Finally after talking to 3 managers, they said that they would not charge me for it. Wow! How nice of them. Anybody else heard of this scam? They said that even if you were to replace an aluminum wheel, for instance, and wanted to keep the old one, there would be a $50 charge. Anyway, I also called GMC and complained to no avail. Will it do any good to complain further and hope for a reimbursement? I think I'm going back to Japanese.
    Matt, I am Pocket, and I would love to have an address that you wrote to. I have a 2004 Envoy XUV, and I have had several problems with it. First of all like you say the speedometer, and the oil gauge. Next the rear latches on the tail gate have been replaced 6 times in the last year. GM is refusing to fix anything on this vehicle. I like you think that if enough of us complain, that maybe, just maybe the Government will force GM to do the right thing. Pleas post the address that you have written to. It would help so many of us here.
  • beckytxenvoybeckytxenvoy Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2005 GMC Envoy. I have had nothing but problems! Speedometer doesn't work. Gas guage has broken 3 times. We had to replace the guage in the actual gas tank. A/C has gone out, cigarette lighters short out, head lights short out, Fan has gone out twice, speakers on radio on the left side go in and out, all kinds of relays have been replaced, now......when you turn on the A/C the car dies. I will never own an American car ever again!!!! They will not fix anything or recall anything! Who should I complain to?
  • bigslopebigslope Member Posts: 1
    I recently had the Heated Oxygen Sensor 2 replaced. The check engine is back on. Will cleaning the throttle body and replacing the air filter solve this and allow me to pass emissions testing? Thanks.
    I am still waiting on where/who to write to on these crappy GMC Envoy's. Also my Cruise Control does not work most of the time, once in awhile I push it to turn it on and it may work, if it does I feel privleged...
  • trevorstrevors Member Posts: 1
    We'll it seems tha every Envoy owner is going to run inot the same issues sooner or later. I would suggest that the best thing we could do as a gorup (class) is organizae. Organize the letter writing campiagn to the chairman / CEO / COO of GM and also to the Transportation Board. Certainly in the case of the speed counter issue, that has serious safety implications and should be addressed by GM, but we haven't made enough fuss for them to do so yet.
    I had the fule guauge issue (which I overcame by using the trip meter until now), the gas gauge, and just a few weeks ago the speed counter, so after reading the board, I've ordered the parts and a soldering station and will do the job myself for about $200, but come out of it with a fixed panel and a really nice soldering station.
    The O2 sensor was replaced at 68K ($600), the front diff ($4000 at 80K), a front wheel bearing (400 - had to get an entire unit, the can't be changed for the normal $20 that you would on any other car) numerous front light bulbs, I think the shocks are getting to the point of needing changed. This car was bought new, and has been nothing but a money pit, but with the poor resale value, they are basicically worthy nothing second hand, I look forward to keeping it going myself until the engine gives up the ghost, which hopefully should be a while - and that will only be because I don't feel the need to lug a second hand engine out of a junkyard, not worth the effort.
    If anyone one wants to start thinking about a group petition / complaint to GM, I'm in. Maybe we can get these buggers to finx some of this stuff - I'd never by another GM vehile, ever, by the way.
  • epodepod Member Posts: 2
    I have been reading about all the problems about the instrument panel. I just had this problem with the speedometer going crazy had my mechanic check it out at first he thought we would have to replace or repair the panel but he checked a ground wire that connects the panel to the engine block, it was all corroded fix that and everything went back to normal. the mileage dropped about 300 K and everything on his instrunents showed what they should. Maybe if someone else is having this problem they should check this out. :confuse: :confuse:
  • ldchanceldchance Member Posts: 4
    Hi thanks for the info...I actually know I have a corroded wire from the alternator back to some where and it was patched but it need fixing...I will try that first.

Thanks
    Did your mechanic happen to say where this ground wire was located on the instrument panel. Ex. bottom left or center of panel. Would like to know as I am having similar problems too. Also the cruise control works sometimes, and sometimes it doesn't.
    now my oil guage is all the way past 100# and bottom out at the bottom of the guage too. What a piece of work.......
    Mine is coming from the alternator.

Quanda
  • mikenmmikenm Member Posts: 3
    If you still have the name of the guy in Wichita, I could use it.
  • epodepod Member Posts: 2
    The ground wire was on the engine block near the back on the passenger side he was told to check this by the GM dealer
    I was driving home from work in a snowstorm last evening the by-pass was not in good shape, I looked down and the speedometer said I was going 80, I had no idea how fast I was actually going. Tried to judge from the Tach, but it was reading crazy too. I finally got behind a vehicle and followed it back to town.
    Now That I think is definately a safety hazard trying to watch the road and wondering how fast you are going.
  • my1947pontmy1947pont Member Posts: 6
    Well here's another issue with the 2005 Envoy by GMC, Problem 1: gas gage reads empty then moves to full, then back to empty indicator light constantly moves to various levels of fuel. Fuel tank is actually full yet constantly displays empty resulting in refueling vehicle whichs upsets family also a confusing problem and annoying. Problem 2: Speedometer needle indicator fluctuates erratically from normal speed needle indicator then displays 80miles in speed which is not actually correct miles being driven also indicator needle shakes eratically for no purpose at all.Service Advisor stated the fuel sensor supressor needs to be replaced cost $380.00 + since tank will be brought down recommended 2 replace fuel pump in case of future issues and is covered by a lifetime warranty cost $480.00 +. Being that on a set income adding also a disabled Vietnam Veteran would make this impossible to replace the fuel pump, just alone fuel sensor supessor set me back on my Mortgage payments making this a financial burden. This vehicle is my life line to all present & future medical appointments with the Veterans Hospital and their clinics.
  • my1947pontmy1947pont Member Posts: 6
    My 2005 Envoy has this same issue which cost $380.00+ TO RESOLVE, reported this to the Nat'l Hwy and Transportation were not the only we must continue to report all these complaints to get our Government to react immediately, I am a disabled Vietnam which depend on my vehicle to meet appointments.
  • envoysucker1envoysucker1 Member Posts: 1
    Bought 2004 Envoy 2 years ago with 36000 miles on it. 38000 the speedometer DOES NOT WORK AT ALL. Always going 120 miles an hour. The other day got in the car at 49900 miles Gas gage quit working!!!!! GREAT what else is next. Got told at dealer a few months ago Envoys not on recall BUT would be happy to put in new instrument cluster for $475.00. Yeah okay :mad:
  • 2004owner2004owner Member Posts: 1
    I purchased a 2004 Envoy in March of 2009. Within three days the instrument panel went out completely. When I took it in it was explained to me that they knew of the problem, it wasn't a recall, but if you take it in to have it fixed GM will pay for it. I was told that there were two manufacturer's making the modules that work in the panel. One manufacturer's modules were bad and it would blow the whole thing out. Mine was a certified used car and I had 12,000/12 month warranty, so I wasn't sure if that was the reason mine was paid for, but then my uncle has a 2004 GMC truck and he received a letter from GM to notify him about the problem. I was mad and so I called a GM dealer in the area and he told me exactly the same thing and that GM would fix it - like a silent recall. Please contact GMC directly instead of a dealership. If they won't help, I'm not sure what it's called, but there is automotive consumer help in Washington, D.C. Please research and good luck!
  • kjcripekjcripe Member Posts: 2
    Advice, experience appreciated...

About 3 months ago my speedo started acting up. Pegged at 120 or -10. That is also intermittent and seems to be effected by the cold weather. Codes showing bad instrument cluster. Ok, I can deal with that. Not fixing that now ... other issues to take care of ...

For the last two weeks my Envoy has not started maybe 6 times. Ironically the first two times I was parked in the same exact place. The first time we jumped it - the second we did not. Full battery power - lights, stereo, blah blah blah. I came in and called a local mechanic and he asked me to go sit in the car. He told me to turn the key on but not try to start, let it sit there for a few minutes and then try to start it. It worked! So he asks me if I am sitting on an incline. He suggested Neutral Safety Switch - but cannot do it at his shop. Minimal - but a bit. EVERY SINGLE TIME I HAVE HAD TROUBLE I have been parked on a slight incline or at an angle to the side.

My Envoy has been at the shop 1 week today. They are guessing the problems and I'm getting ticked. I have explained to EVERY shop I have called the initial diagnosis of neutral safety. You would not believe the stupid crap people are coming up with that could be wrong - makes absolutely no sense. One GM mechanic suggested i was leaving dome lights on too long and therefore running the battery down.

Any help is appreciate.
  • wlaywlay Member Posts: 4
    Glad I found this information. The gas gage on my 2006 Envoy is doing exactly and one of you described, when full it goes to empty. Saw the note on the "quiet recall" I plan to visit the dealer tomorrow and ask to have the instrument panel fixed under the warranty - I lack 50 miles hitting 70,000 so saw this info just in time. I will keep you guys posted on my success.

Carl
  • preciousgeminipreciousgemini Member Posts: 10
    My 2004 Envoy is currently in the shop now with the same problem. I am getting the same stories from the dealership. I did call the phone number posted, I am currently waiting for the Chevy people to call me back. Again, my VIN # is not on the recall sheet, but they did have some recalls on my car that they changed, like the tail light that would work every now and then, the a/c sensor for the #4-#5 speed, when you turn it up that high the a/c would kick off. My gas gauge did not work, so when I did put gas in my car, it would take about 3-4 tries to start it. My speedo was stuck on 120 mps so I used a GPS for long distance drives, but when I drove in neighborhoods I really don't know how fast I am going. Very dangerous if kids are playing in the street. Most of the time I would for get to put the GPS on because it caused a distraction for me. :mad:
    GMC agreed to pay for the labor on my instrument cluster so got that fixed, one down more to go. The Cruise Control still does not work, so took it back to a "Certified GMC Service Shop" 2 days later. Then they said it was because my Crankcase/Cam Actuator was leaking oil and causing a arc that was causing my electrical problems and fixing would solve the problem. Well that was $350.00. They fixed it. It worked good for one day and the cruise stopped working again. It is so intermittent that it will amaze me if they can figure out this one. Taking it back today for more.
    Anyone having Cruise Control issues also??
  • gmcustsvcgmcustsvc Member Posts: 4,252
    Hello,
    I am from GMC Customer Assistance. I see that you have spoken with us before about your instrument cluster concerns. Because the issue is currently unresolved, I would like to look at your situation further. What is your GM case number? Thank you,
    Mariah GMC Customer Assistance
    Thanks Mariah, I got the call from GMC Monday. They will not cover any of the work. I am going to have to pay for everything. I will pick up my car today unless you think there is something else to try. What information do you need?
    case # 71-815-208915
    Will this have my personal information on it so that you can call me?
    Sorry Mariah, I assumed you had repied to my post. Sorry. Maybe I'm just desperate for help with these issues. So Sorry.
    edited March 2010
    Hi Mariah, I received your request. Case # 71-808434405. I had the instrument cluster fixed 3/25/10. The cruise control still is not working. I was told At my GMC service center that the Crank-Cam Actuator was leaking oil and causing it to short out my electrical that was why my cruise control was not working I authorized them to fix that they did that on 3/27/10. (saturday). Monday Cruise stopped working again. Called them they told me to bring it back on Tuesday 3/30/10. Cruise started working so they told me they could not do anything about it since it was working at that time. Just very frustrated. Top back tail light does not work and the bulb were checked they are good.
    The Cruise control is very important to me as I drive 1/2 hour to work so I rely on this a lot. I want to get this fixed but how can they fix it when they have no idea where to start. Well they started and it cost me over $300 and did not fix the problem. Can GMC give any guidance to the problems with this?
    Hello,
    Because the issue still is present in the vehicle. I feel that we should re-open the case file and have this looked at again. What I will do is send your agent an email explaining that we are going to re-open the case because the vehicle still has the same concern present. The agent should get back with you in about 48 hours. If you have any further questions please direct message me. Thank you,
    Mariah GM Customer Service
    Hello,
    Sorry we mixed up there. I would be happy to assist you with your vehicle. You stated that the vehicle is currently at the dealership. Have they diagnosed the issue? Do you currently have a case with GM? If so, can you please direct message me the case number? Can you also provide me with your VIN number? Thank you,
  • ms33362ms33362 Member Posts: 6
    I recently had my battery just die with no warning signs, attempted to start car and all the interior lights turned on and then shut off completely. I changed the battery and what do you know my AC on the driver's side blows out heater air while the passanger side blows cold air. There is also a knocking sound on the back passanger side. Called dealer and they said i probably have to have my rear AC reset. I bought my car brand new and i have had to replace the gas gage, spedometer, other than that no problems. But sounds like its time to trade it in.
  • jcasertojcaserto Member Posts: 2
    I love my Envoy (it's my 2nd) but I'm having horrible electrical problems.....gas gauge and light totally malfunction, when i fill my tank, the check engine comes on for a period of time (until i got about 60 or so miles).....my low beams went, then the high beams went (they wont turn on if i push the stick forward, but i can still see that they work, as, if i pull the stick towards me and hold it there, the high beams DO light up).....I called my dealer and there have been no recalls or anything and basically he can't do anything for me....anyone have any suggestions???
  • andym3andym3 Member Posts: 5
    I guess I'm fortunate (at this point) that my speedometer and oil gauge are the only issues. I just took my 2004 Envoy in for 100K service and asked if there was any recall to correct these issues. Obviously there isn't and the service manager even admitted that his wife's vehicle was experiencing similar issues. For @ $485 they would replace the instrument cluster which should fix the problems...sorry no suggestions other than complaining formally to the NTSB as suggested by others.
    Okay i had my vehicle fixed... it turned out to be both front Actuators, Fan clutch, thermostat, cost me $1900.
    a girl friend of mine had a similar problem with her Yukon. They told her she had to close or turn her gas cover 7 times to make sure it was closed. You might want to start there. They reset her vehicle and light hasnt gone on since.
    Hello,
    I am from GM Customer Service. Can you please email me at socialmedia@gm.com to give me more information about what the concern is with the vehicle? Thank you,
  • ristainojristainoj Member Posts: 1
    Robert

Did U ever figure out what was causing all those proplems with your intrument cluster...ie...irroneous warnings and chimes...abs...brake...etc..

My mom has a 2004 with only 16k miles...it is doing the same thing. In addition,...I get "..then ...as well as the chimes . It is madening. Well behave for a few miles..then starts the whole show all over.

Do you or anyone here know if this Intrument Cluster Bulliten or any other GMC bulliten applies to my problem? Clearly there is somehing going on with these GM's.

What is the fix here?

Thanks

John
    Hi Robert, it is the instrument cluster panel, and the Envoy is not covered under the recall.

Mine is still doing it.

LaQuanda
    Get a re-furburished one. I did and mine is fine now. Now the service 4WD light comes on. After I spen several dollars getting the cruise control fixed in the past 2 weeks.
  • jme72jme72 Member Posts: 3
    Just purchased this beautiful 2005 Envoy in February, have had numerous issues from the get go. My instrument cluster is bad, you can hear the bearings clanking around on ignition, while it is idling and when turning the vehicle off. The dealership I purchased it from says that even though I had taken the vehicle in numerous times for service for this very issue while still under warranty they were not going to cover it because it is not a mechanical or safety issue. Is there any documentation out there that shows this is a safety issue???
    Hello Jme72,
    I am from GM Customer Service. I apologize that you are experiencing problems with your vehicle. Is the warranty a certified used car warranty or a dealership warranty? Can you please email me more information so I can look into this further? You can access my email by clicking on my name. Thank you,
  • jme72jme72 Member Posts: 3
    Mariah,

When I purchased the vehicle in February of this year, it came with a 30 day warranty from the dealership. What other information would you like?
    Hello Jme72,
    Did you buy the vehicle used, or certified used? Have you had any of the concerns diagnosed or fixed? Can you please email me so I can get some personal information from you? You can find my email by clicking on my name. Thank you,
  • bsinhcbsinhc Member Posts: 1
    edited May 2010
    Well, for all of you with the instrument problems, be prepared for more to go wrong and GM not take care of it. I have a 2002 Envoy I bought used in 2005 with 46,000 miles on it. For 2 1/2 years, it was a great vehicle but the "good times" ended in late 2008. Since then, I've replaced the instrument panel ($450), fuel pump ($750), radiator and air conditioner condenser ($600), alternator ($200), and front tie rod ends ($350) which was done for the 3'rd time since the vehicle was new.
    But, the list doesn't end there. Recently, my rear speakers quit working, the clutch fan is acting up, my awd switch goes haywire now and then, and now I'm smelling gas again. I have an appointment with the dealer on Tuesday to see if the fuel pump is bad again, and if it is, I'm going to sell this thing asap. It's turned out to be nothing more than a money pit and GM won't fess up to the fact that they built a subpar vehicle while charging a premium price for it.
    Prior to the Envoy, I owned a Dodge pickup truck and ran it hard. I put over 90,000 miles on it and never put money into it for the above mentioned parts, except for normal maintance.
  • br2004xuvbr2004xuv Member Posts: 1
    edited May 2010
    I have a 2004 Envoy and recently started having electrical problems, Driver 1 resets to unknown driver, abs light, seatbelt light, 4-wheel drive, etc. Lights flash on and off, Battery gage fluctuates, headlights and instrument panel lights flicker dim to bright. . Occurs while driving down the road very sporadic. Upon starting the vehicle today the headlight washer sprays. The clock to 12:00 and exterior lights and running lights wont turn off. When I try to start it, it makes clicking sound and now will not start. Dealer couldn't find anything wrong with it, but charged me $168 - Any Ideas?