Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2008 Nissan Frontier

philg87philg87 Member Posts: 74
edited May 2014 in Nissan
Besides adding a longer bed. What other improvements did the 08 make over the 07?

Comments

• nissancrewcabnissancrewcab Member Posts: 12
    There is the " CAN" wiring standard that all 2008 and newer cars have to have.
    I don't recall it's purpose but you can google it to get the answer.
  • pete814pete814 Member Posts: 1
    Recently purchased an 08 in Erie,PA.Truck stickerd for 24,845.KC auto 4X4 with VTP.Purchased for invoice minus rebate(2500).Thought this was a fair price.Deal was quick and easy.20,800+TTL
  • sorentoesorentoe Member Posts: 2
    have a 07 se 4x4. have a vibration almost all the time the engine is running. when you put a strain on the engine, like raising the windows, you can really feel it on the steering wheel and the brake peddle. its almost like a major vacume leak. had it to the dealer twice. they ain't gotta clue.
  • gnavarrognavarro Member Posts: 2
    I just installed a radio but I can't find the antenna wire for my XE base model? Has anyone installed a radio on this truck before.
  • asaasa Member Posts: 359
    Is your idle speed too low? I'm thinking it should probably be about 700+ RPMs.
  • peterd2peterd2 Member Posts: 2
    I just purchased this and haven't even picked it up. I;m looking to install an Ipod interface. I have just the stock single CD radio. Do I need to replace the radio with an after market with the interface.? I also believe that CDs are going the way of cassettes. Anyone have any ideas?
  • ron_mron_m Member Posts: 186
    Are the five-spoke alloy wheels still available for the 2008 SE 4X4? When I went to 'Build Your Frontier' on the Nissan USA website, the only wheel that was shown was a six-spoke style that I don't care for compared to the five-spoke style that I remember seeing on several '07 models. Maybe I just missed something somehow and they are still available.

Second question. A friend of mine has had problems twice now with the paint on his '07 Frontier along the top of the cab where there is a molding present. Is this a common problem with the paint on '07 model Frontiers, or is he just extremely unlucky? I'm strongly considering the purchase of an '07 or '08 model Frontier, but I want to make sure that I'm not going to have to deal with a bunch of problems.
  • rgswrgsw Member Posts: 333
    2008 Nissan Frontier V-6 King Cab does not have a locking gas cap or locking door cover for gas filler. Purchased a "locking gas cap at Auto Zone" and the "check engine soon" light come on. Replaced the new locking cap with the original cap. On the way to the dealer to discuss the light, it went out and stayed off the rest of the day. Any suggestions on how to modify the gas cap door/cover to include a key/lock? Dealer had no suggestions.
  • driver56driver56 Member Posts: 408
    I've heard of such things through this forum, but I've never actually witnessed any paint problems myself. I own an 07 Frontier Crew 4x4 Nismo, and have for going on one year. I currently have 16,000 kilometers (approx. 10,000 miles) on the odometer. I've travelled on practically every road surface imaginable, and see no paint damage at all. I know that the composition of the pints are different now because of environmental concerns, but I'm completely happy with the purchase, have no issues, and the truck has been trouble free.
    It's been two years since I bought my SE, but I recall that each trim (LE, Nismo, SE) has a different alloy wheel spoke count. You can't pick which wheel you want.

I've had no paint failure on my cab roof.
  • ninevelninevel Member Posts: 2
    Pete814,

Could you give the name of the dealership in Erie, PA? You got a great deal on your truck. I live in Buffalo and the dealers here don't deal.

thanks
  • aaaaaaxaaaaaax Member Posts: 2
    I've just bought the Nissan Frontier 4x2 V6 from last week, I have 500 miles even strong engine but now hear the valve noise and engine a little shaking. Did it happen same yours or anyone have more ideas about this?

Thanks
  • aaaaaaxaaaaaax Member Posts: 2
    This car uses timing chain that why a little noise....the engine uses the better gas 91 then no more shaking...
  • cornbeefcornbeef Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2008 Nissan Frontier with 3000 miles. Whenever I back out of my driveway after the truck has been sitting for along time, the brakes squeal. They are OK in the forward direction and do not squeal in reverse after the truck warms up. Does anyone else have this problem? I took it to the dealer and they stated that this was normal when the rotors are wet, cold, etc. However, none of my other vehicles are doing this. I had Nissan Altima that had the same problem a few years back, but they would always squeal until I put aftermarket ceramic pads on it. Then it ran fine. I am wondering if I may need to do the same to the truck. Other than this problem I am happy with the vehicle. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.
  • akhodaiakhodai Member Posts: 1
    I need help. I want to put bigger rims on my 2008 Frontier. Does anyone know anything about the TIRE PRESSURE SENSOR? Can I buy after market sensor that will work on my truck and where?
  • moparbadmoparbad Member Posts: 3,870
    The sensor may be purchased from dealer, aftermarket such as Tirerack, or transferred from existing wheels if compatible.
    If you purchase new sensors, they will have to be programmed to work at the dealer.
  • kpt_volkpt_vol Member Posts: 2
    I test drove an 08 SE Frontier yesterday and noticed while crusing at about 40 MPH, in traffic, the transmission continually shifted and it was so noisy you could hear the pop in the drive shaft or rear-end. Dealer was great but I wanted to check it to see if others were having this type of problem before continuing with a purchase.

Thanks for your replys.
  • moparbadmoparbad Member Posts: 3,870
    No problems in an 06 V6.
    I've had an 08 Nissan Frontier SE V-6 Automatic since March this year and no problems so far with 2000 on odometer. I would not consider the situation/condition you discribed as "normal". I would suggest you test drive a different Nissan Frontier and compare, might even drive a used one if they have it and don't have a similar new one. If it shifts too much in traffic for you, you might depress the button on the shift lever that eliminates the overdrive (5th) gear and only allows the transmission to use four gears forward. Good Luck
  • kpt_volkpt_vol Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for the replys concerning the Auto Trans. Now the good part any ideas what one should pay for an 08 SE or LE pretty well loaded. It seems everyone has SEs but the option packages vary so much it is hard to get a handle on price. I haven't see an LE but do want to check one out.

Thanks again
    I note that the current factory rebate (cash back) is $2500 for the V-6 and $1750 for the 4 cyl. I had no problem getting the $2500 factory discount plus an additional $1000 off sticker price last march. I would hope that you could negotiate a deal at least that good for 2008. My price was $18,500... Good luck.
  • reddevil4reddevil4 Member Posts: 17
    If I purchase new rims from Big O or Les Schwab can they install new sensors for the new rims or dose it still have to be done by a Nissan Dealership ??????
  • craig32craig32 Member Posts: 30
    Anyone else have/hear about this problem??

Truck has only 200 total miles on it.

When shifting from either park, or neutral, to drive, it is sluggish (about a 2 second lag, before you feel it fully in drive).

Anyone know the cause (it has regular fuel, although the book reccomends premium).
  • kczkcz Member Posts: 1
    I recently purchased a 2008 Frontier pickup, the truck has been good but the acorn are falling and denting the hood on the truck?? I have to believe this is a quality control issue because I haven’t seen any dents on the rest of the truck or my 2008 Altima. Has anyone had problems like this with Nissan?
  • driver56driver56 Member Posts: 408
    We have the large horse chestnut trees here on the West coast, they produce a large spiked nut, but I don't have a dent on my 07 Frontier and I drive under them quite often and find myself being bombarded seasonly. The newer vehicles do dent more readily, but that is not acceptable.
  • nibblr64nibblr64 Member Posts: 6
    I've had my 08 frontier nismo since aug and now have 11000 miles on it. The transmission isn't noisy however the driveshaft is. Every time I let off and step on the gas the driveshaft clunks. It's not a u-joint either. I haven't had it checked out yet since I have plenty of warranty left.
    My 08 nismo does the same thing in forward and reverse. Only when cold when I first apply the brakes. Has since 3000 miles. It's harmless.
    Mine does the exact same thing and it's not gas related. It's the transmission and I believe it's normal for the most part. My 04 silverado did the same thing and I never had a problem.
  • najawanajawa Member Posts: 4
    I have a 2008 6 speed manual trans and the gears rake in second and third gear. I can hear it now rather than just feel it when I shift. When the transmission warms up - in about 5 minutes - it stops raking but I can still feel it when I shift. I also hear the clang that those of you with an automatic mentioned. It's as if where the driveshaft attaches to the rear end has a lot of play. It's not the universal. It has the same oil in it that came from the factory. It has 7,000 miles on it. I've had it to the dealer 5 or 6 times and the last time they said that it wasn't bad enough to replace the transmission but this is unacceptable. I have to live with it right now. A rep at the dealer told me there was an expansion/contraction defect in the transmission and that is why it shifts better when it warms up.
  • rodranierrodranier Member Posts: 10
    I have a 2008 Frontier Crew Cab that has brake squeal at low speed stops. Dealer told me it was normal...I really think they were blowing me off. Truck has about 8500 miles on it now.
    Did the Dealer double check the hydraulic clutch line in your 6-Speed to be sure there's no air in it? It's a simple process; you can even do it in your driveway with a helper. It's a long shot (given that yours seems to be temperature dependent), but if air in the line is causing the clutch to not fully disengage, you could get grinding. I guess the tiny upside is that your powertrain warranty will cover you beyond 36K Miles if things get worse. :mad:
    My wife's Subaru did the same thing and the Dealer was no help either. I bought a spray can of CRC De-Squeak and a can of brake cleaner. I didn't want to dismount her calipers, so treated only the exposed rotor surfaces (which meant I couldn't do the backside) and was very pleased with the results. You may want to give it a whirl; cost for everything is about $10.
    Thanks for the info. I forgot to say that the dealer did replace the clutch but it didn't do any good. It doesn't rake in 4th, 5th and 6th gear but it has in 4th and always in 1st and 2nd. They told me it was because the synchronizers are spinning faster in the last 3 gears and that is why I don't have any problems in those gears. Does that make sense to anyone?I sent a letter to the manufacturer but I don't know if that will do any good either.
  • rodranierrodranier Member Posts: 10
    ok. Thanks!
    The 6-Speed has double cone synchronizers in 1st, 3rd and 4th. 2nd Gear has a triple cone synchronizer. That would leave 5th and 6th with no synchros, which is pretty typical. I think (but am not certain) it's beacuse the gear ratio differences (hence gear rotating speeds) become less as shifts to high gears are made. But despite the Dealer's techno-speak, there shouldn't be any grind in any gear at any time. You can also call synchonizers "baulk rings" to stun them with customer knowledge. :) Your letter ton NIssan can't hurt. You might try a different dealer if that's possible. I'm saddled with a slack dealership myself and it's very frustrating.

The service manual says that a hard to shift tansmission can be due to (a) the wrong oil (b) low oil or high oil, (c) a worn shift control linkage, (d) worn synchros or (e) a damaged insert spring. You said you had factory oil which is a GL-4 grade and is the ONLY grade that should be used in the 6-Speed transmission. The oil level is another easy-to-check item. Keep us posted. :mad:
    Mine only does it first thing in the morning when the brakes are cold. It has since I bought it. I can live with it.
    Thanks so much for this info. So far the letter has gotten me a call from a Nissan rep who wants me to take it back to the same dealer and "ride with the mechanic" when he drives it. I told him that I wanted a mechanic other than at the Nissan dealership to look at it. I plan to take it next Tues. because it will be cold here and it is worse when the weather is very cold. I will keep you posted.
    What do you think?

Made the mistake of running the engine at 5400 RPM, for about 2 minutes on the highway, whenthe truck barely had just 109 miles on it!

This was done before i looked in the owners manual, that states "do not exceed 4000 RPM during the 1st 1200 miles of break in.

Do you think this did any harm?

Also, some people also have the opinion that u should run the engine 'hard' during beak in, to make for a faster performer later, & if u baby it, you'll have a 'grama' truck forever.
    Opinion??
    This question will yield fanatics on both sides of the equation, with tales of success flogging it and babying it. I'm a follow-the-owners-manual kind of guy based on the 200,000+ Miles we seem to get on all of our vehicles and none has ever been put out to pasture because of engine trouble and none has even burned oil. Redlining machinery of any kind doesn't seem like a sound way to make things last, but to each their own.

But, given that many others have raced their new motors to extremes and lived to tell about it, you're probably fine and I wouldn't worry. I take it that you have a 6-Speed and that the truck is so wonderfully quiet that you forgot to upshift? ;)
    No, actually I have the 5 speed-overdrive automatic trans.

What happened was that i test drove 3 similiar 6-cylinder Frontiers at the dealer.

The best 1 equipped (the 1 we bought) had for some reason noticiably less accereration (felt similiar to when the mixture is off, or similiar). It also had a 3-4 second delay in engaging the trans from park into drive.

So, when we got it home, at around 109 miles, or so, I tookit out testing the acceration. Then, on the freeway, i continued testing it, kind of seeing if the thing would 'snap out of it' & give me fast acceration like the other 2, .....so I cut the overdrive button off, and dropped it into 2nd gear at about 55 -60 mph, noticing that the RMP's up to 5200-5300RPM's.

I did this for about 40 seconds, about 3 minutes apart for about 2-3 times total that night.

Ultimately, after going to 2 other dealers, 1 of them changed the transmission itself (that cured the engagement delay).

Now it has much better 0-60 accelaeration, but mostly only on colder days/nights, for some reason. It's 'picky' (any temp above 75 degrees, & it's weaker again.

Dealer says it's fine (but i see it's definitely NOT at the claimed 0-60 in 7.9 seconds!

Any ideas??
This discussion has been closed.