Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Honda Accord Bluetooth

Comments

• Options
    mslavonicmslavonic Member Posts: 5
    Sam,

Your local dealer is wrong. What I found out about salesmen is that they only know what is on their lot. After I pushed him to locate the bluetooth he found one the next day.

This is not an aftermarket kit, it is from Honda becasue it fit in place of the sunglass holder above the mirror. Simply go the Honda's web site and select accessories.

According to my invoice there is an FP number for the Base Kit 08E00-E10-100 and a Kit Number 8753188. List Price is $418.00.

The Attach Kit FP number is 08E02-TA0-120 and a Attach Kit Number 8763179 List Price is $89.00. Installation for me was $185.00, but this is dependent on the dealership.

I am located in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania and I purchased my Honda from Dean Honda.

Like I said the bluetooth system fits in place of the sunglass holder above the mirror. It has it own speakers and all of the controls for calling, muting and volumn are located in between the speakers and microphone.

If you want to call Dean Honda there phone number is 412 466-8120.

Hope this helps

Mike
  • Options
    dhamsdhams Member Posts: 1
    I purchased a 2008 Accord EX-L w/Navigation this week and noticed that it has a little black DVD box in the trunk. I have looked in my owners manual and can't find anything to explain it. Can anyone tell me what it's used for??
  • Options
    parvizparviz Member Posts: 484
    That runs your navigation system. It holds your navi DVD.
  • Options
    smithsincsmithsinc Member Posts: 15
    Guys,

I am trying to get the (Bluetooth® HandsFreeLink®) Blue tooth added to the Honda Accord EX-L w/o NAV as an accessory, but I would like to know if anyone has done so already and is willing to detail the quality of the product. I am a bit concerned in that when added as accessory, the audio is not done through the car's audio system but rather via a little speaker in the kit which is placed the in the space in the overhead compartment used for the sunshades.

How is the over quality? Is it worth getting? and Is it actually wired to the car's internal speaker system? Any advice please? Thanks :confuse:
  • Options
    mobilemax3mobilemax3 Member Posts: 1
    Hello,

I just recently bought a Honda Accord EX -L V6 with Navigation and Bluetooth capabilities. I've been trying to import my phone book with no luck.

I was wondering if you remember the steps you took to import your phone book.

My phone is a blackberry pearl with Verizon as the provider.

Would you be able to provide instructions? I've gone to several forums and even the HFL website and have not found any instructions.

Please let me know if you can help.

Thank you.
  • Options
    Smithsinc,

Also see my post at #47

I had a (Bluetooth® HandsFreeLink®) Blue tooth added to my Honda Accord EX-L w/o NAV about 3 week ago since I wear hearing aid in both ears. I am very satisfied with the product. The audio is through the speakers in the Blue Tooth, and the sound is very good.

I have no complaints, it provides me the the access to my cell phone when I am driving and that is all I was looking for.
  • Options
    mslavonic,

How was the sound quality though? Was it installed to use your car's audio system like that of the factory installed ones? The EX-L has a nice audio system and after listening to my boss using his in his Altima (which IMO, does not sounds as good as the audio system in the the EX-L), I would like to know how close to factory installed does it sounds. Thanks
  • Options
    rv65rv65 Member Posts: 1,076
    Verizon is known for crippling bluetooth. I have no idea why the beancounters wanted to disable phone book imports. I guess they didn't want it to eat into data transferring revenue. Or perhaps HFL isn't the best.

Maybe WM6 phones don't have the crippled bluetooth.
  • Options
    smithsinc,

I don't know how to measure sound quality that you may understand. All I can tell you is that I can clearly hear the caller. The sound comes through the speakers in the unit and not the car's audio system, so there may be a difference. I have never been in another vehicle with a bluetooth system so I can't judge any difference. You need to speak to your dealer's service department and ask them if they can connect to the car's audio system.

For my use all I need is to be able to hear the caller clear enough to understand the conversation, and I get that with this unit and I am satisfied. I don't like using my cell phone for long phone conversations, so if the caller and I need to speak at greater length I'd rather have that conversation on a land based system.

This system meets my needs, but you may want more, and I can't help you beyond what I have experienced with my unit.
  • Options
    mslavonic,

Thanks for your input ..... much appreciated.
  • Options
    But do they have "caller ID" on these Garmin GPS? I know Nokia has one.
  • Options
    raspegraspeg Member Posts: 8
    While researching phonebook importing for my 2008 EX-L V6 w/Nav I came across many people having issues with this not working. For my the first time I tried the Import phonebook option was grayed out. On a second try it was there and imported all 121 contact very quickly. I'm not sure if it made a difference but it was the first thing I did when I got in the car and the Handfree link was still initiating. Some post I read said you need to disconnect the phone from the Handfree link for the importing to work so maybe there is some truth in that.
  • Options
    raspegraspeg Member Posts: 8
    I tried to pair the phone by following the honda maual but could not get it to work. Hondas online instructions for that specfic phone is a little different from the manual and it worked no problems. Basically after you say your pairing code into the handfree link you have to do "add a device" on you phones blootooth options then follow the phone prompts.
  • Options
    edwinolsen1edwinolsen1 Member Posts: 1
    When I dial from my phone I do not hear the other line ringing. Once the person picks up I can hear fine. Does anyone know how I can change this?
  • Options
    happy_accordhappy_accord Member Posts: 2
    I have had my 08 Accord for 5 days now. Bluetooth has been working great..... until today. I received a call on my way home from work and the second the phone rang I received a horrible loud screeching sound as if it were feedback from a microphone or amplifier. This happened repeatedly trying to dial in or out. I had to turn my phone off. Later, I turned the phone back on, disabled bluetooth and re-enabled. I got in my car to check it out and it worked fine.

PLEASE HELP!!! WHAT HAPPENED?? It was very dangerous because it was so distracting. I am afraid it might happen again.

Anyone else with experiences like this?. The Honda dealer said they have never heard of such a thing.
  • Options
    Yes, I have had that happen to me a couple of time (3, I think), I had to turn the radio off to get rid of the noise and then after I re-started the car, it re-set itself. I am not sure how that happened or how to fix it, but you are not alone on this.
  • Options
    That is how mine works too if you are in the car and the car's bluetooth is activated. I tried several things but did not work, but now that in CA we have the cell phone law and can not use he handset while driving I am not as concerned with it but would be interested in knowing if there is a fix for it.
  • Options
    graphicguygraphicguy Member Posts: 13,665
    Regarding the feedback, mine's done the same thing a couple of times (Iphone). Dealer acknowledged that Honda's aware of it and is working on a fix. Don't know when it will be done, but they are working on it.

My entire phone book downloaded. Took less than a minute. I'm adding "voice name tags" to all the entries as I dial them. So far, only got half of them tagged, which probably means In don't need the other 1/2 of those numbers.
    2023 Honda Accord Hybrid Touring
  • Options
    joshorenjoshoren Member Posts: 1
    SAME THING has happened to me a few times, and the feedback gets louder and louder! You have to turn the car off and then on again for it to reset and then it's fine. 2008 2 DR Accord Navi 4 cyl. Great car!
  • Options
    odumaoduma Member Posts: 2
    Same thing with the screeEECHING noise, happened to me at least 3 times already.
    The 1st time it scared the daylights out of me!.
    My solution is same as joshoren, I stop the car, turn off the radio and the car and restart the car, I had to repeat it again once before it stopped.
    My car is the 2008 4Dr V6 Navi.
  • Options
    mercurialone1mercurialone1 Member Posts: 4
    I called Honda and also checked the verizon site for features and it appears the touch screen phones are either not checked out by Honda or are not compatible...Anyone know of any decent phones that are compatible with the honda through Verizon?
  • Options
    beechjet21beechjet21 Member Posts: 26
    I've got an LG Dare that works fine, as does the import phone book feature.
  • Options
    I got the LG Dare and you were right. It synced with no problem and the phone book transferred with ease. I love the phone btw. Thanks for the help!
  • Options
    I got an LG Dare and it works great. I was able to get it to import the phonebook. It is funny because Honda has not listed this phone yet. I am wondering why they are so oblivious to these problems.
  • Options
    jsteachjsteach Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2009 honda accord with navigation and a lg dare. Phone book transfer
    proving to quite difficult, both car and phone show transfer but only two numbers
    go through. Any and all help would be greatly appreciated.
  • Options
    bx104bx104 Member Posts: 1
    Hi - Just saw your post re the now and again calls that go through the phone instead of the car's system. I have the same problem. Didn't see any replies to your post. Did you ever get an answer? I am using a Verizon LG phone.

Thanks.
  • Options
    drock330drock330 Member Posts: 1
    was the dealer able to fix the feedback noise graphicguy?
  • Options
    safwaan_2k9safwaan_2k9 Member Posts: 1
    I Have The Navigation System Running But I Dont Understand How To Turn Bluetooth On In The Car, Could Someone Tell Me How Please
  • Options
    swhondaswhonda Member Posts: 19
    I was just wondering if anyone had the HTC Hero with Google (carrier: Sprint) and tried to pair it with the Accord's bluetooth. If so, did it work?

I contacted Honda Handsfreelink (since the phone is not listed on the compatibility list or on the list of phones in cue to be tested) and it has not been tested yet so they cannot state whether or not it will be compatible.

Thanks in advance! :)
  • Options
    jmillerjmillerjmillerjmiller Member Posts: 113
    If no one responds with an authoritative answer, you could take advantage of the return window to get the phone, see if it pairs up, places and receives calls, and if the phone book will import. If it doesn't, then you have to decide - some phones don't support some features, while other features work.

From what I can find, it looks like Sprint gives an existing customer up to thirty days to return equipment, and charges a $35 restocking fee - there is some language regarding the plan though, so be sure to check it for yourself.
  • Options
    vietviet Member Posts: 847
    I got same loud noise 3 times.
  • Options
    swhondaswhonda Member Posts: 19
    Hi jmillerjmiller! That's a great idea! I didn't even think about the return window. I will definitely look into that! Thanks!
  • Options
    bkrolbkrol Member Posts: 1
    I am very happy w/my 2010 Honda Accord; after 3 months I have a minor problem. My bluetooth works great throughout the day but it does not start up for the first 10 minutes I operate the car. I end up turning my phone off and on a few rotations and it syncs. Has anyone experienced this and how did you remedy it?

Thanks Bob
  • Options
    haisenthilhaisenthil Member Posts: 19
    Hi

I bought 2010 Accord EX-L and Nokia 5800 Navigation edition phone.
    With a few difficulties, I could pair it up with car's handsfree calling system.
    But I am facing the following intermittent problems:
    1. Many times, my phone loses connectivity
    2. Many times, I could not hear the caller's voice whereas he can hear me.

It is annoying while driving..

In addition, I could use the other features like call transfer, phone book download ..

Is anyone successful in getting it work with Nokia phones.
    This phone seems to be more popular recently. I bought EX-L just for bluetooth features.
    looks like dead investment..

I appriciate you suggestions/pointers to get it resolved.

THANKS
    =Senhtil
  • Options
    halo413halo413 Member Posts: 1
    i just purchased a used o8 exl with out navi, i keep trying to set up my phone using the directions on the (car)manual going to set up choosing my option and it says my phone is not available or nothing at all i see it searching but then it just stops and i sit n wait,...lol i feel stupid because i rented a kia and my phone paired up in a matter of seconds .... i dont want a kia ...lol some one pls educate me what am i doing wrong... i have an iphone 4 and i am parked while doing this btw ....
    for who answers thank you so much i just want to be safe.
    :confuse: :blush:
  • Options
    thegraduatethegraduate Member Posts: 9,731
    I don't think 2008 models without Navi had bluetooth built-in. Someone else will have to confirm this for me.
  • Options
    Here is the compatibility website for phones with the built in Honda system:
    Honda Hands Free link

And of interest, is that until you get to the 2010 model year, you HAVE to pick 'with navigation' in the one drop down to continue on. The 2010 year when picked adds the option of without navigation to the accord sedan.

There was a kit from Honda to add Bluetooth as a dealer installed option - according the the H and A accessories website it is no longer available. This is the link to the users guide Bluetooth kit users manual , so you can check if your car has the buttons shown on page nine of the manual on the headliner area for it and the installation directions - which better show where the controls are on the headliner if the kit is installed HFL install directions.

I hope this helps you determine if your car is equipped with the HFL bluetooth option. If you have it, the users guide provides pairing directions.
  • Options
    phredpalmphredpalm Member Posts: 1
    I was ready to purchase a 2011 Honda Accord EXL with navigation but put the deal on hold until I verify whether or not my Motorola Droid A855 is compatible. The handsfreelink.com site says it is not. THis is rather shocking since other Android phones are compatible and mine has the same upgraded operating system.

Does anybody have any experience with this issue. The offices for Honda and Handsfreelink are closed until Monday.

Thank You
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    AFAIK they only list phones they have tested. With so many phones and variations available, I doubt they will ever test them all. I used an unlisted phone for a time, and only had one instance where the system went to a squeal where I had to shut the car off and back on to fix. Usually its the XM radio that quits until a restart (that's another firmware issue), turning the radio off and on doesn't fix, unlike some other makes.

If this is a make or break on a deal, I would think the salesperson would help you through the pairing process so that you could test before deciding. You can delete the imported phone book and pairing from the car easily enough after testing. The most annoying part of that is that you have to speak the pin to the system, and the voice recognition needs a d#%$ hearing aid.

Once paired, you could test the phone book import, making (i use the imported phonebook or the phone to dial, as speaking the number is very frustrating), receiving calls, and if the system auto reconnects the next time you start the car with the phone present (assuming your phone is set to allow without prompting for the bluetooth reconnect).
  • Options
    accord420accord420 Member Posts: 1
    I have had the 2010 Honda Accord for about a month and the first couple of weeks the Bluetooth system was working perfectly. Over the last couple of days, two issues have been occurring:

1. When I get into the car, the system turns off the radio and the display says "Handsfree Device". The only way to get the radio to work is to make a call (from the handheld device) and then hang up the phone.

2. I can no longer pick up calls using the steering wheel button. I answer the call on my handheld device and then the call will transfer to the handsfree system after about 15 seconds.

Other than that, I can make calls using the system and it appears to be synched at all times. I tried unsynching the phone and resyncing it and it didn't work.

Any suggestions?
  • Options
    Could be that the bluetooth settings on the phone have been changed? Have you paired the phone with another bluetooth device around the time this started?

If you haven't restarted your phone since this issue started, I would do that (if BlackBerry, battery pull).

Then maybe try deleting the paired bluetooth device from the phone, and re-pairing.

Were any options on the phone changed relating to things like voice command, etc?

For grins, if you have another phone in the family, try pairing that to see of the system works right in the car - if it does, that points to the phone somehow being the culprit.
  • Options
    godisgoodgodisgood Member Posts: 1
    call 888.528.7876

or

turn off the bluetooth option in the phone.
    Press the talk button on the steering wheel and say "Phone Setup"
    Say Pair or Follow through the steps to pair
    Make a note of the code that is presented
    turn on the bluetooth option in the phone
    Once you see Handsfreelink in the list, select it and you will be prompted to enter the code that you wrote down.
    It should pair with the car momentarily.
  • Options
    rppautorppauto Member Posts: 28
    IMO...here is why

1) calls can only be initiated from the HFL. if you call from cell phone it does not go through HFL (some phones allow
    you to pick the bluetooth everytime you make a call).

2) it does not stream music to car's bluetooth. not all like to wire to 3.5mm audio jack every time.
    solution: you end up buying a bluetooth adapter to stream music. they all can call/receive calls via bluetooth.

so, why use honda HFL/bluetooth?

shame ...honda.
  • Options
    lansingclansingc Member Posts: 1
    I have an 09 Accord EXL w/NAV. The HFL system sounds great to me when I am in the car, but people on the other end of the phone can barely understand me.

To test this, I called my voicemail and later listened to the sound quality. At lower speeds, it wasn't too bad, but on the freeway, the background noise was terrible. I also use a Jawbone earpiece that has good noise cancelling technology.

Called the HFL # and they gave me some phone settings to try (multikey and any key). So far no luck.

Am I just too picky, or do others experience this, too?

Thanks.
  • Options
    nashdesignguynashdesignguy Member Posts: 3
  • Options
    nashdesignguynashdesignguy Member Posts: 3
    I just bought a 2009 EX-L at auction. I haven't actually driven the car yet. I get the idea after reading a few posts that bluetooth isn't standard on this unless you also have the navigation system? Is this true?
  • Options
    rcummelinrcummelin Member Posts: 184
    No, you're not too picky. Hondas, by design, are very noisy vehicles inside, and this combined with the microphone location, makes for lousy phone communication at freeway speeds. We had the same problem with our 2010 Accord.
  • Options
    jbarbacjbarbac Member Posts: 3
    On my 2012 Accord EX 4 cyl the HFL Voice recognition very frequently mis-interprrets my voice command for the person I ask it to call. The confirming response is for someone else in my list and make using the system very difficult. I have used other voice recognition systems without any problems.
    I have also encountered the other noise related problems with sound quality.
    The issue is not speed or noise related, as I encounter this sitting in the parked car.

Anyone else have this issue?
    Is there possibly a software or firmware fix for the voice recognition system ?
  • Options
    suki5suki5 Member Posts: 3
    It's always helpful to put all details you know like which make and model of phone and the make of the radio in car. I can try to help.

Suki