Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevy Blazer Fuel Pump and Pressure Regulator Problems

Comments

• nmonk83nmonk83 Member Posts: 1
    a shot of ether and runs for a few seconds then quits,i have had 7 pumps in it. the last one was put in 2 months ago. any thoughts?
  • frndlycu8frndlycu8 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 96 s-10 blazer that had what sounds like the exact same problem. they changed the fuel pump, the filter they checked the regulator also it turns out it was something called the spider injector im guessing its the fuel injectors they changed that and it started right up i don't know if the 2000 is much diffrent from the 96 so check it out might work for you too.
  • whiteblazerwhiteblazer Member Posts: 2
    I have an 02 Blazer with 150,000miles on it. It had been doing the same thing, Real tough to start then it would only start with ether then to the point where I was killin the battery and having to recharge it before she would start.. I knew it was something in the fuel system but nobody could figure it out. I had changed the fuel pump and fuel filter and it was fine for a couple weeks then the same thing again. So a family friend was over and has a 96or97 blazer I was telling him about the problem. He said that he had gone through a few fuel pumps before he figured out what caused his to do the same thing. Turned out that he had to replace the spider injector set-up because it is plastic and had cracked therefore it was leaking fuel into the manifold. To do this repair you need to take off the upper manifold, while you having the upper manifold off you need to also changed your fuel pressure regulator which is also under the manifold on this vehicle. I have mine in the shop as I am writing this so I should have it back early next week... I will follow up on this post for anybody else having a similar problem.
  • bonedog16bonedog16 Member Posts: 1
    i have a 96 blazer it pudders and hesitates to go after i stop then go like after a stop light or stop sign but it eventually kicks in then its fine like if im the highway its ok my truck doesnt have a catylac converter it has a flex pipe wich is hoocked up to a pipe that connects to my muffler wich the pipe going from my muffler to the flex pipe isnt quite connected all the way its clamped but not all the way and my exsaust is loud my cousin says it might be because i dont have any back pressure im not sure really also my gas and temprature gauge doesnt work i checked all fuses and they seem fine i dont know how much gas i have in it or wut the temp of the motor is also there is a really bad squeek noise coming from my passenger side maybe a ball joint or idler arm not sure wut do i do
  • redddogg1redddogg1 Member Posts: 2
    I have a 1995 blazer ..For some reason I'm not getting power to the fuel pump .. Cant seem to understand why ..I know it works fine because I used some wires test it .But plug it to the harness it don't work ..Doing the work myself don't have the money for a Mechanic!!!!!
  • jondevilsjondevils Member Posts: 1
    Replaced fuel pump on my Blazer bc thought it was bad (which it was not). Have new pump in but still won't come on. Checked all relay switches and fuses they are all good. Checked connections to pump all are connected and each wire is getting fire to them. Blazer will turn over but will not start and fuel pump won't come on at all. Can put fuel in throttle and it will start but shut off as soon as it burns fuel off. Have no clue on what else could be causing the fuel pump to not come on. Please help lol. Please post on here and please e-mail me as well at jon_devils@yahoo.com
  • stealthnystealthny Member Posts: 25
    I have a 1997 Blazer that I have been trying to fix for 6 mos. It just wont start on its own. I have repalced the pump ( which they said was bad but never pressure tested at the filter. when i pour gas down the carb it starts right up but will only run as long as the gas I pour in lats then stalls. someone told me that means the injectors are out of sinc. I am trying to replace the fuel filter now. nobody has tested the pump pressure other then holding down the FPV and saying there is alot of pressure there. anyone ever of the injectors being out of sinc
  • skiextreme2skiextreme2 Member Posts: 30
    2002 Blazer V-6, 4WD, auto. The gas gauge floats back and forth. Been doing that since a few months after I bought it 2 years ago. Started getting a double code about 8 months ago, (evap code, and I don't have the code here, but I think it was P0049 that suggested evap system). Could it be a vacuum (line) problem.

I have a friend with a 1998 (or 96) that has the same problem. They've replaced the fuel pump 3 times but it (the CEL) still happens.
    I've replaced the gas cap and the purge valve but the codes keep coming back.

If it's happened to 2 vehicles, it's probably happened to more. Does anyone have experience with this problem?

Thanks, Rick
  • jlflemmonsjlflemmons Member Posts: 2,242
    See the answer I posted to your question in Maintenance and Repair.
  • skiextreme2skiextreme2 Member Posts: 30
    Do you know what page or have a link to the page?
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    I believe this is it: http://townhall-talk.edmunds.com/direct/view/.ee95147/3526#MSG3526

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
  • cramcamcramcam Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2000 blazer with 4.3l CSEFI engine that won't start. I can get it started with starting fluid, and it will run after that but it hesitates from time to time, nearly stalling.

After I shut it off, it will restart if I try within 10 minutes. After that, it won't restart without using the starting fluid.

I hooked up a fuel pressure gauge. When I turn the key and the engine is cold, it reads around 48-50 PSI. At this point it won't start. When I start it with the fluid and it's running, the pressure goes up to around 55 psi. When I shut it off and turn the key back on the pressure reads around 58psi. But if I leave it off for about 10 minutes that pressure drops back down to below 50 PSI again and it won't start again.

Is this problem my fuel pump? I have already replaced my fuel filter.

Any suggestions?
  • blazersgblazersg Member Posts: 1
    My blazer won't start when it sits for over 6 hours. Hooked a pressure gauge up and it is 54 psi key on, running 56, and after 30 min it drops to 50. I have replaced filter and no leaks visible. Any help would be grateful.
  • gfd749gfd749 Member Posts: 1
    have u check your fuel pump or fuel pressure regulator. if im no mistaken the 4.3 fuel system should be at or above 60 psi. im looking at the same problem on my 97 chevy c1500. im about to change my pressure regulator since i just replaced my fuel pump 2 years ago and the regulator is a hell of a lot cheaper. i'll try to let u know how it turns out.
  • galaningalanin Member Posts: 1
    i have a 2001 chevy blazer 4wd 2 dr changed fuel pump,fuel filter,cap and rotor sparkplugs . truck wont run have to pour gas to get it to run ,but this only last's for a few secs and we dont hear fuel pump prime like as before . any ideas
  • offstaroffstar Member Posts: 1
    I have read all the posts and am still confused where my next step is. my 2000 4door blazer (TBI) would not start after an extended idling period,everything pointed to the fuel pump. I replaced the pump and after prime it started. I drove it to get gas and to the car wash and then home, started every time. it sat two days and now it will not start again! I hear the pump running but to me that means nothing after all of my reading. I did replace the harness when i replaced the pump as well as the the fuel tank pressure sensor. this blazer only has 60k and fuel is gettting to the Throttle body.
    ANY IDEAS?? Can i add a secondary pump to bypass the factory setup to rule out the pump all together?
    All ideas welcome and appreciated.
  • duntovduntov Member Posts: 133
    If the engine will not start after a period of idling or after the engine gets to operating temperature, it could be a temperature related ignition control problem..

Replace the ICM (Ignition Control Module) and heat sink. Use new mounting screws.

Replace the fuel pump relay.

Replace the fuel line filter.

Always check the fuel pump pressure after a fuel pump is replaced,. If the fuel pump pressure is not to spec the engine may not start when it reaches ooperating temperature. You should always replace the fuel pump wiring harness and fuel pump screen when the fuel pump is replaced. The better fuel pump kits include a new harness and pump screen.

Replace the fuel pump regulator.
  • chevynutty00chevynutty00 Member Posts: 2
    if the fuel pressure regulator located outside of intake plenum it must under it next to fuel injector pack that the way it is on the 1995 blazer
  • chevynutty00chevynutty00 Member Posts: 2
    check fuel pressure will running shut engine off for a few minutes to half hr. to see if pressure holds up. If it doesn't could be regulator . If there is a strong smell of gas fumes could be fuel injectors
  • chris10hchris10h Member Posts: 1
    i had low fuel pressure in my also. changed fuel pump worked for a while. changed fuel filter and pressure regulator. still same problem.

In the end the fix was to drop my gas tank and rinse it out with gas. then i vacuumed up the old rust that was in the tank. put it back together and no more problems. better gas mileage and power. hope this works. gl
    It is recommended you should also replace the gas tank when the fuel pump, wiring harness and screen is is replaced. A new gas tank cost $100 and it is a cheap insurance. The fuel filter should last 30,000 miles if you have a clean tank.
  • iamuncacoiamuncaco Member Posts: 3
    My 2003 Blazer will not start, I replaced the fuel pump in the tank per a dealor, still will not start. Just turns and turns. I checked the relay and it is good. I tested the old fuel pump and it still pumps. Seems like no power to the pump. I also checked in the steering collum all wires look good. No visible wire damage under the truck. Any ideas?
    I have same issue on a 2003, have you found the answer yet?
    edited May 2011
    Thanks I will try this with my mechanic. I have only had issues with the dealer whom I bought this vehicle, now I can't even get a call back from them. Last I heard from them I put another bad pump in the truck. Thanks again, I will let you know if that works.
  • nanny_girl_101nanny_girl_101 Member Posts: 1
    After taking my blazer to several mechanics I am still stuck! I have a 97 chevy blazer 4wd Lt model. When we run it too long it shuts off and it wont start back for 30 mins. It idles hard, if we are at a stop light to keep it running I have to hold the brake down and slightly push on the gas. We ran a fuel pressure check it come back normal (60 psi), they replaced the 02 sensor, and we had a tune up done. I just want to know what is wrong with it and what needs to be replaced so that it wont do this anymore. Someone help me please?! :cry:
    The fuel pressure should be steady between 60 - 65 lb. with the engine running and not drop below 55 lb. for 5 minutes after the engine is shut off. If the fuel pressure is not steady or it drops rapidly after the engine is shut off, the pressure regulator is bad.
    AC Delco fuel pressure regulator #217-2251...$45

If the fuel pressure is good, the ICM (Ignition Control Module) may be breaking down when the engine get hot.
    Poor hot engine operation indicates the ICM is bad.
    ACDelco ICM, #D579....$97
    ACDelco ICM mounting bracket, #10457979....$21
  • cliffy3cliffy3 Member Posts: 3
    I have found that chevrolet has a very unique wireing arrangement
    I had a fuel problem and after changeing many parts
    I studied the wireing diagram ,and found chevy has a emergency shutdown of the circut of the fuel wireing , The brales and oil preasur sender are wired to the fuel pump hot wire
    A long story short
    THE fuel pump wireing includes a internal ground
    If the ground to the BODY is lost ,the brakes and rear tail lights draw there ground thru the fuel pump
    To fix thids problem I have done what chevy should do
    I attached a ground wire dirrectly from the battery to the frame of the truck
    NO MORE PROBLEMS
    to try a quick check and see if this will help
    simply attach a jumper cable from the NEGATIVE side of the battery , and the other end firmly grounded to the frome
    Get in step on the brake first then start your engine !!
  • santanaa57santanaa57 Member Posts: 1
    I have same issue on a 2003, have you found the answer yet?
  • freakistfreakist Member Posts: 4
    The fuel pressure regulator is very likely leaking, and contrary to many supposed experts on the subject, you do not have to replace the entire fuel "spider assembly" in order to regain normal results. the part is different for vehicles made between 92- 96 and those made after 96, and the change actually started in 95 and a half, though the 8th digit of the vin code for either model will be a W. your model has a plastic intake manifold, and the fuel pressure regulator will be found underneath it, held in place by a simple clip. it will require draining some of your coolant and removing various connections fo vacuum, electrical connections and the like in order to remove the manifold, yet once this is done, you'll find the part is brain dead simple to exchange for a fresh unit at a cost of around 50 bucks, as opposed to 3-500 for the whole system depending on who is trying to rape your wallet. DIY and you will learn some stuff along the way, a knowledgeable driver is a roadworthy driver. be advised also, the fuel pump MUST put out between 58-62 psi when engine running for the system to function properly. a cost effective pressure tester is available from harbor freight, which will easily attach to the provided relief valve near the injector inlet on the drivers side of the engine near the firewall. be sure to tighten it well before turning on the key, so u get an accurate reading and avoid spraying fuel around. with key on, engine off you should see something over 62, perhaps 65 or more for a brief moment, do it several times like this to make sure its not getting bad numbers due to air in the gauge. if the pressure drops rapidly after the pump stops, it is 1 of 2 things, the check valve in the tank mounted pump, or, more likely the aforementioned regulator. find the rubber section of fuel hoses, and pinch off the return line (skinnier) with vise grips over a rag and if the pressure still drops rapidly (say, less than 5 minutes), the problem is the check valve in the fuel pump (replace the pump). If pinching off the return line stops the pressure loss, the problem is a leaky regulator.
    have fun! SAVE SOME MONEY!
    edited July 2011
    A separate fuel pressure regulator is not avaolable from GM for the 1992-1995 4.3L V6 "W" code engines with Central Port Injection (CPI). You must purchase the entire fuel injection "spider" assembly from GM which includes the fuel pressure regulator at a cost of $613 MSRP plus labor.

However, by 1995, Dorman Products saw a market for producing a fuel pressure regulator that is separate from the entire CPI spider assembly. The CPI fuel pressure regulator is Dorman part #55162 and costs $37. It will require about 5 hours for a competent auto repair technician to replace a fuel pressure regulator or about $325 to $400 in labor cost. I suggest that a person go to an auto repair shop in a small town of less than 15,000 population and you can get it done for half that cost. It may even be cost effective to have your Blazer towed a small town to get major repairs.

The "W" code CPI systems are failure prone and is why they were only used from 1992 through 1995. I am fortunate to have a 1991 S10 Blazer 4x4, 4.3L "Z" code engine with a TBI (Throttle Body Injection.) The TBI system was uised from 1986 through 1995. The TBI is simple enough that I can even rebuild and replace it in an afternoon.. I prefer certain 1992 - 1995 CPI "W" cylinder heads and I therefore installed a pair of 1993 CPI "W" engine cylinder heads on my 1991 S10 Blazer LT.

IMO, the 1986-1995 TBI system is fool proof.
  • dscattledscattle Member Posts: 1
    Ok i can only get it to start by jumping. i can get it to run by pouring gas down throttle body but dies when gas runs out. changed starter had coil and starter mod checked. replaced wires plugs, cap and button. also gas line filter. turns over great had battery checked also. volt meter in car shoes mid way between 9 and 14 when jumping car will start when volt meter reaches close to 14. rail pressure on prime pump is around 10 lbs, car running is around 40. also car will run after jumping for as long as you want (hours) as long as you dont shut off. it will restart if you do it within 1 or 2 minutes but no more. any thoughts would be great, thinking fuel pump but confused by rhe running after jumping
  • 03_blazer_tom03_blazer_tom Member Posts: 1
    i have a 03 blazer, it starts showing 50 psi at fuel rail it runs great for about 30 minutes then starts spitting and sputtering and even acts like its running out of gas, i can press the acceleraator and no response some times, but it usually will pick up but it still sputters. at start up it shows 50 psi but when i let it sit and idle for about 20 minutes my fuel pressure drops to 14, i have changed the filter, is this a regulator problem or fuel pump?
    Thanks for any advise i get
    from my experience, it sounds like you have failing bearings in your fuel pump. to my knowledge, you would always get immediate response from your injectors, even if 1 or 2 were clogged or electrically intermittent, provided you can get pressurized fuel to them. Your fuel pump may be alright until it heats up enough to cause your bearings to run rough. this is almost certainly the case if you have driven the vehicle at a low fuel level for extended periods. the fuel pressure regulator is a relatively simple device compared to the pump, and if it were a heat issue in the regulator it would appear well before 20 minutes. the fuel in the tank acts as a coolant for the pump motor, thusly u get probs over time if u run with low fuel (below half tank). hope this serves!
  • racer4x4racer4x4 Member Posts: 1
    ive got a 2000 chevy blazer, after car sits a few days, i have to prime injection with a cap full of fuel to get started, but it runs ok after i do this,what do i need to do to prevent this from happing again, getting tired of taking off air cleaner to prime with gas every few days

thanks
    RON STURGIS
    Replace the fuel pump relay and/or the fuel pressure regulator. Replace the relay first and if that does not fix the problem, replace the fuel pressure regulator.

Fuel Pressure Relay: ACDelco D1786C (GM 19116657)
    $8.10
    $15.80 MSRP

Fuel Pressure Regulator: ACDelco 21-72251 (GM 19106768)
    $66.00
    $126.00 MSRP
    edited September 2011
    Having a failing fuel pump is likely the cause of this, The pump is required to send fuel at around 58-62 psi (on mine) and when the engine isn't running, the battery must supply power to pump up this pressure, a worn set of bearings or anything else that causes the pump to be slightly harder than normal to turn will require more voltage than the battery can deliver at startup, especially since the battery must also send current to the voracious starter simultaneously, so the pressure from the pump doesnt get high enough to allow the system to effectively inject the fuel into the cylinders. u add gas, it fires it up, the alternator starts providing power at a higher voltage, the starter is turned off, shazzam, the pump is getting enough juice to work. A fresh battery may help for a little while,or even just jump starting), new pump is long term solution. A leaky fuel pressure regulator would likely not cause this issue, but will definitely ruin your mpg.
  • mtngoat69mtngoat69 Member Posts: 1
    My 2000 Blazer has been not strating with out starting fluid for a few months (working long hours - no time to repair) and now it will not start. Will run if gas is soprayed into it. Fule pump runs - have nto check pressure but from all I see it seems to be the fuel pressure regultor.

First am I right in my diagnosis and second - what is entalied in replacement. I find no clear instruction.

Thanks!
  • mperu99mperu99 Member Posts: 4
    Did you ever figure this out???

seem like the exactly problem i am having, once i get it started, it will restart with in a few minutes i let it set for over an hour.. no dice..

was it the fuel pump?
    Did you ever figure this out? sounds exactly like my issue
  • bigdaddy71bigdaddy71 Member Posts: 2
    blazer wont start and fuel pump doesn't prime, is there anything that can stop this besides bad fuel pump or relay?
    FIXED!! - I originally put a pressure gauge and it was reading 48lbs, i thought that was enough, however it was not.. I replaced the pump and the fuel filter and now i got 60 lbs (key on - not started) 54 lbs (running) Now it starts no issues.

You should be near 61 lbs (key on - not started) for proper starting. 55 - 61 lbs for starting, the higher the better.

A plugged fuel filter will cause the fuel pump to work harder and eventual damage it. Cheap and reasonable replaceable part.

A fuel pressure tester is a easy way to figure out if your pump is working when key is turned on., I noticed the new pump has a new wiring design. They changed the way it connects because the connection were failing either shorting out or ground would break. So its a good idea to change it out if you have over 150,000 miles on it anyhow.
    the wiring can be big issue, no grounding

or shorting in the connection...
    I had a circumstance once wherein I had a short inside the oil pressure sender, and this kept blowing the fuse on the ecm "b" bus, which killed the fuel pump relay. whatever you do, don't try putting in larger fuses to get it to run longer if you find the ecm fuses keep blowing. it may require pulling each sensor and bench testing it, but too many amps through the ecm sensor feed circuits will roast the ecm board, or set fire to wiring. newer vehicles with extra sensor stuff in the tank could be in severe danger if you attempt to put in a larger fuse when a circumstance like mine comes up. Luckily somebody got wise and stopped making the metal bodied senders, probably just because of the potential of underhood fires. careful work is in order when dealing with fuel tanks and lines, just sayin! Good skill to you!
  • bigdaddy71bigdaddy71 Member Posts: 2
    after about 2 or 3 days it will start and run for about 5 minutes but then it cuts off and wont start again for 2 or 3 days, help?
  • spoiled513spoiled513 Member Posts: 1
    i have a 94 blazer, ran great for a while, now it sputters and acts like its running out of gas, i know its none of the following: fuel pump, fuel filter, radiator, spark plugs.... all this has been chaged within the past week just as maint. but it still wont run... it throws out the right psi from the fuel pump but just acts like it isnt getting gas.. what could this be?!?! its driving me crazy!
    please help me !!!
  • darquedarque Member Posts: 1
    i replaced the fuel pump with aftermarket pump. it turned over, started and dies. sputters everytime. no fuel? im a amateur diy guy who just ordered a fuel pressure gauge, not here yet but i thought id write anyway my questions are kinda unique to the other 21 pages of detroit pump issues. prior to begin the fix, it used to run when primed dumping bit into inject, pep boys diagnosed bad fuel pump and it did not have any "obvious" other issues with fuel except for my car not starting ever unless fuel injector primed. fuel filter 1 year old as well. i also replaced the ignition module 9-12 months back.

what i did.
    i got the tank out, and with a free junkyard aftermarket fuel pump (from a friend owns the junkyard w his promise he knew it worked [for how long is another story]) i busted the vapor valve on the tank and two of the three fuel line nipples on the old pump getting it out. so i have no idea what order these return to. + the pump had a different 4pin connector then the orig, so i had to splice the 4 wires into the new switch. grey,purple,2blacks*

we replaced the pump with the junkyard one and went key on pump on makes sound turn over bamb starts up and dies everytime until the batt drained. if nothing else directly was problem prior to this the day before im concerned its only one of three things...

1. junkyard part!!!!!. but the pump does work!!!
    2. fuel ~ possible reverse of the fuel lines. the new pump has 0 labels for the vent the out and the in. but the old one has vent in the middle f on the right (forward/fuel?) and r on the left (reverse/return) assuming i might have switched these i removed again and they seemed to only go on one way... the right one seems to be bigger so i assume its for getting the fuel to motor. that one fits perfectly on the new pump. the other two also seem to only fit back one way but idk? can they be on backwards?

3. the electrical connection. spliced the 4 wires together with the new connector. 1)grey to grey 2)purple to purple and the 3&4) black wires. could i have made a mistake and reversed a ground to something else? i do get power when key on. is that enough indicator to my electrical being correct? could the pump in anyway run backwards? i really doubt it but idk? my assumption is the fuel lines backwards and or electrical backwards> ?

so i do not know what else the pump needs to work if its humming? it does humm a lot longer than 5 -10 seconds once in a while... tank seemed clean inside as well. i assume the last thing i did is the first place to suspect but i am not eliminating other issues but i have huge gut feeling its something stupid...
    always is with me.

i did notice the old pump had a oring on top of cap under connectors and nipples and i did not use that one on the new pump. is there a potential vacuum leak issue? i cant see honestly what the top oring could actually do if anything but prevent spillage. there is no openings and no vents it seems like an extra spare oring. any help would help but i dont have the right volt meter i only have amp meter and no pressure gauge yet. if someone could eliminate or confirm my gut feelings it would help narrow it down thanks.
  • blevins1blevins1 Member Posts: 1
    I have 1999 Blazer 4.3L. We have replaced the fuel pump twice with different brands, 5 different pressure regulators, check the volume of the pump, checked wiring for voltage drop, replaced the spider, checked injectors for leak down, blown out and checked all fuel lines, checked the relay and wiring. All these checked out. We are unable to get the fuel pressure up to 60-66 psi required for the engine to run smooth on acceleration, engines idles fine. If we restrict the fuel return at the tank and raise the fuel rail psi up to 60-66 psi the engine runs great with no hesitation or back firing. Any more ideas of what it could be? :sick: :mad:
  • redspawnsilverredspawnsilver Member Posts: 1
    He said he replaced those... please read the OP before replying....
  • gimpy_blazergimpy_blazer Member Posts: 1
    So, my 1998 Blazer (4WD, 2 dr) is having fuel pressure issues. Just turn the key, I get ~48-50 psi at the rail and it doesn't want to start with that. You do hear the fuel pump run for 2 sec.

However, if I jump the car (attach a battery charger boost to the positive, negative grounded on the body) it jumps up to ~60 psi when the key is turned. Crank it and starts fine.

Initially I believed the starting issues were either a low battery, old starter motor, or poor grounds. So, I just put in a nice strong CCA rated battery and starter motor. I also cleaned the grounds near the battery (found two there).

So, my question is: do I need a new fuel pump, or is there a specific place in the electric system that I should check for poor grounds, etc.? Conversely, could I somehow can the circuit to runt the pump longer or at higher power?

Thanks for any advice.
  • rmasters2007rmasters2007 Member Posts: 1
    Clearly, these intense issue tell you that you just have another piece of junk.

Mine runs fine right now, once it starts getting these issues, it is going to the junk yard. For the money you folks put in you can finance/lease or buy a better beater vehicle. So why bother? There are many more issues. To come!