Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Nissan Xterra Manual Transmission Problems

greg62greg62 Member Posts: 3
My 2006 X needs a new clutch, they say, at 23000 miles. No excessive driving habits. No fluid leakage detected upon visual inspection. What's up with that?

Comments

• vandoomvandoom Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2006 xterra offroad. I am having the same problem, clutch replacement required at 40,000 km (25,000 miles). Again, normal City driving, no offroading. Nissan Canada customer relations won't budge on the warranty or providing good will help on the cost. Seems to me like a classic "premature wear" on the clutch material, rather than normal wear... will likely sell the truck ASAP and never buy Nissan again due to the below standard parts and horrible customer service relations.
  • greg62greg62 Member Posts: 3
    The end of the matter is that Nissan sucks in this situation. 23000 miles and the Xterra needs a new clutch. I neglected to say that the steering column had problems within months of our purchase. I got rid of the vehicle and went with a Jeep. Nissan is off my list forever. Perhaps when the truth comes out that Nissan quality is going down, down, down I will at least have some personal satisfaction. Maybe I just got on board to late. Once bitten twice shy.
  • mcamaramcamara Member Posts: 1
    i bought my 2006 nissan xterra last feb2007 and just this weekend after drinving the car for only a year and 2months with 11,000. miles the clutch is worn out.
    the dealer said that the cost for the replacement of the clutch is $1700 and not under warranty.
    i just have a had time believing that i have driven so terrible to have to repace the clutch. I've been driving for over 15 years manual cars and never had this issue.

i just feel at the mercy of the dealer since they told me that they had never had a nissan xtrerra with a clutch issue....WTF :confuse: :mad:
  • ridingdirtyridingdirty Member Posts: 2
    I have been driving manual trans. for over 35 years, including 2001 and 2003 Xterra. the 2007 I purchased has a clutch failure at only 16k.

no city driving,

no hauling,

over 10 years experience driving xterra manual trans.

over 35 years experience driving manual trans

and nissan wont pay for new clutch -- not even a dime!!!

needless to say, i will never buy a nissan again.
  • marcogallo1986marcogallo1986 Member Posts: 1,164
    You guys WHo are Having the verry rair clutch problem. There is a bulitin out you should have got a lettor in the Mail from nissan. If you did not bring it to your Nissan dealer. these trucks are real grate trucks. and peapol with the Nissan frunttear are not having problems same trans same clutch. Think you 3 guys just happen to have bad luck. I will try to find the bulitin for you guys Thankyou Marco.
  • asaasa Member Posts: 359
    Please let us know when you find something on this Marco. I've been lucky so far with my '06 Frontier 6-Speed at 13,500 Miles and have had no troubles. But, I've read on some Frontier forums that owners have had the same sort of clutch failures despite conservative driving.
  • marcogallo1986marcogallo1986 Member Posts: 1,164
    Hey guys I think you guys should look at Nissan Help.com They will have your answer I dont no any mor at this time I no that is a grate websight how ever. If I have sum time I will look Let me no Thankyou have a real grate day Marco.
  • gsouthamgsoutham Member Posts: 1
    I also have a 2006 Xtera and the clutch went at 35,000 km. My Ford Explorer clutch lasted 220,000 km so I wasn't expecting to replace the clutch this early. Today at 40,000 km, I was told I need $750 in brake work. I called Nissan Canada today and they said if there are enough complaints, they will do a recall.
  • pietroantpietroant Member Posts: 3
    My clutch failed at 23,000 miles. I recently had it repaired at my expense since it is considered a wearable part and not covered under warranty. I am having a hard time believing this part failed due to my driving behavior. I travel mostly over flat lands, do not down shift to slow the vehicle, do not hawl loads. The car has not been abused.....Nonetheless I've driven 2 different makes also manual transmission for a total of 15 years before the Nissan and never had a clutch failure.Sounds shockingly similar to your experiences. There is a trend here that Nissan must address. I hope all have voiced their concerns to the Nissan Consumer Affairs thru Nissan Official site under the contact us tab. I suppose this is the right place to start.
  • tasintasin Member Posts: 1
    Ok - 2nd clutch at 43,000. This obviously is a design flaw. Have been driving standard transmissions for about 40 years and did not believe this was happening. My dealer was great on the first incident and replaced at no cost. 2nd just occurred this weekend so will see what happens, but afraid this car is going to have to go. I do a lot of cross country driving and cannot have this happen in middle of nowhere. This really should be a recall issue
  • Just_PeachyJust_Peachy Member Posts: 17
    ...mmmm it would appear I am not alone. I learned today that my clutch is worn out at 31,000 km. I am also a manual diehard (30 years). A significant chunk of this distance was long distance in Canada - so not a lot of gear changes. This travel is well documented. Lets hope Nissan will come clean. I am in the process of talking with Nissan... I will continue to post.
  • Bob6226Bob6226 Member Posts: 1
    I have 2007 Nissan Xterra with 22000 miles and am in the process of having the second clutch put in. The first one wore out at 8000 miles. The dealership is now in the process of replacing and will let me know what they find after they take it apart. I have not been given any encouragement that they would find anything other than driver issues. This is a two wheel drive Xterra no off roading. I cannot afford to be replacing clutches every 8-12,000 miles. Any ideas?
  • grubzgrubz Member Posts: 2
    This is my 3rd nissan and it will be my last. I picked up my 07 xterra after the frame on my old pathfinder rusted away even though the exhaust was still original and the engine and tranny ran like new. I gave nissan the benefit of the doubt that they've learned to build a decent body by now but now am faced with selling a truck that I bought 4 months ago off a friend who knows how to drive stick. I figured I wasn't going to have any major problems for at least 5 years and that i'd have it for at least 10. yeah right.... dealer tells me it's my fault and being the nice guy he is will do the work for 1800, as opposed to 2400. I'm not sending any of my money in the direction of these clowns so i'm having a tranny shop replace the clutch and for sale it goes in the spring. worst thing is that centerforce doesn't make a clutch for these 4L xterras (or frontiers); if they did i'd consider keeping it, but if it's just gonna be replaced with the same bad part then it's gone.

Does anyone know of any quality aftermarket clutches for these trucks?
    So, $2,600 CAD bought me a new clutch but not the confidence that I won't need another soon. Again, this vehicle has had an easy life. There are no bulletins out regarding the clutch. I am an ex automotive engineer engineer - something is amiss! There is just too much evidence concerning the 2006 release. I wonder if we will see a spate more with the 2008 when the mileages get to the break point or whether Nissan has done a sneaky fix. I invite you to contact me, I am pusuing Nissan on this. Don't be a victim! ([email protected])
  • coach877coach877 Member Posts: 1
    OK....here goes.

I bought my 2006 Xterra new in March 2006 and have done over 70% highway driving. The truck currently has 43,000 miles. As most of you know the mileage is well below stated on the sticker. I drive 75 mph and am lucky to get 16 mpg. I don't do any off-roading and have only towed with it once while moving.

The steering column was replaced under warrantee during the first year.

I have dutifully completed oil changes and use synthetic oil. I have been driving a stick since 1985. I have not had the dealer complete the scheduled maint but was planning on it since I have owned it for 3 years without changing the rear end fluids.

I noticed the engine over-reving slightly during shifts last week and took it to a local Nissan dealer.

Once I found out that the vehicle was no longer covered under warrantee I took it to a local repair shop that does work on mostly foreign late model autos. He is a friend of mine and I have used his shop for over 12 years on Saabs, BMWs, Volvos, and Toyotas with excellent results.

The total bill came to $3,300. I'm sure the dealer bill would have been closer to $5000.

The $3,300 bill included:

Clutch replacement at 43,000 miles

Here lies the problem!!! Nissan uses a $160 clutch disc in a vehicle that makes 260 hp. I'm no engineer...but this doesn't seem like a good place to skimp.

They used to install beefy clutches in their high HP vehicles. My 1984 300zx turbo clutch lasted close to 100k.

Flywheel replacement ($800 part...surprisingly in stock at a local dealer the part was torn up pretty bad)

My repair shop said it was unusual to find a part like this in stock!!!!!

30,000 mile service (the fluids and filters were close to $400)
    New battery...Too early in my opinion.
    Wiper blades
    Mass Inspection

total parts: $1454
    Labor: $1768

Should I cut my losses and trade this puppy in now while I can get a good deal while the dealers are hurtin? Any suggestions?

Thanks for your advice.
    Coach877
    It's unfortunate that no aftermarket manufacturer is marketing stronger clutch components for the Nissan 6-Speed. That way, when the work was complete, an owner would know that the fix was good.

I'm wondering too if the clutch master cylinder set up might be a partial culprit. The 4.0L 6-Speed (only) clutch master cylinder assembly should be adjusted to a length of 120.5mm (4.74") from the hole in the clevis (where it attaches to the pedal) to the mounting surface plate of the assembly (engine side of firewall). Ya pretty much have to remove the thing to measure the set up.

My clutch master cylinder squeaked and after FOUR trips to the Dealer, they finally replaced it ..... and didn't adjust it properly before installing it. Fortunately it's set so that the travel is slightly beyond where it should be, but if it were adjusted short, I wonder if clutch slippage might occur? This being a hydraulic clutch, it's hard to say. I'm no Engineer. :(
  • gfggfg Member Posts: 5
    I too just had to have my clutch replaced at 20.5k miles of normal driving (no off road). My wife and I have had only manual transmissions in all our cars for the past 40 years because of their durability vs. automatics. Boy were we burned by this our first Nissan. I am an ex-automotive engineer and currently restore cars, and I can restate the obvious: Nissan clearly put a weak, underdesigned and untested clutch in this vehicle. My guess is that since they adapted the 350Z 6-speed trans with its integral bellhousing to the X, they must have also had to use the Z clutch, perhaps smaller OD and which is designed for a car of significantly less weight. I was expecting a pickup-type of rugged drivetrain, not to mention Japanese design durability. Instead we got a junk clutch; very un-Japanese. If there is no news of a Nissan recall and free replacement with a truck-type beefy clutch in the next 6 months, we will sell our 08 X and never buy Nissan again. It is still hard to believe a major Japanese car co such as Nissan would release such an unreliable drivetrain, when their major sales advantage has always been their great designs for reliability and many troublefree miles.
  • charles44charles44 Member Posts: 2
    Sometimes manufacturers under-design clutches, or they increase the horsepower and try to get away with using the same clutch. Sounds like Nissan may be guilty of this. You may want to look into using a Tribco www.tribco.com clutch, their 100% Kevlar composite clutch discks are available through many clutch rebuilders.
    Jim Wolf Technology now offers a clutch disk and flywheel for the 2nd Gen Xterra and Frontier with the VQ-40 engine and six speed.

Prices are $450 for the Flywheel and $485 for the Clutch Disk.

Jim Wolf Technology VQ-40 Stuff

I do not own these; I've had no trouble with my Frontier as yet, but I have only 20,000 Miles on it. I am very happy to see that there's now an alternative out there if I do have trouble.
  • d3363d3363 Member Posts: 4
    I also have a 2007 Xterra and at 32,000 miles and told it is not covered under warranty. I am ready to fight on this after reading all the other complaints regarding this same issue.
    Have you had any luck with Nissan? I am waiting to hear back from a regional manager regarding having this repaired at no cost to me. Does not sound positive though.
    I am very interested in joining the fight and possibly even a class action suit if this is not taken care of by Nissan.
    I too am having same issue and would like to know if you have received any positive feedback/answers in regards to this problem with the clutch from Nissan.
    A regional manager is supposed to call me back after he researches with his engineering department before he can answer me if the repair will be covered under Nissan.
    I have not seen anything from Nissan (web searches of recalls, service bulletins, etc) indicating they will take any ownership for repair and correction of this defective clutch design. I don't know how to go about reaching someone with responsibility within the Nissan organization. I don't think the dealers have any clout in forcing this to a head; their hands are tied by Nissan warrantee policy.
    If anyone has an idea on how to reach a decision maker in Nissan this would be a start. Or if there is someone out their willing to lead a class action lawsuit I would certainly join. This website is likely just a small percent of owners with this problem who happened to find it, and 6-speed Xterras are a small percent of sales. Does the pickup also have the same Z-based 6-speed/clutch, or the stronger 5-speed clutch? I still feel the Z-based clutch is not designed for the much heavier Xterra and this is the root of the problem.
    I've appreciated the inputs from others on beefier aftermarket clutches, and wonder why Nissan's premature clutch failure repair includes installing the same weak factory parts.
  • rico52rico52 Member Posts: 3
    My 2006 Xterra Off Road just received a new clutch, flywheel, and transmission from a local dealer under warranty at 40K miles. . I've had a rattle & vibe since around 15K. Dealer finally heard it after multiple visits, and told me it was the transmission. When I asked "are you sure" they said they were, even though when I would barely tough the clutch pedal the vibe would stop. I though it was the throw out bearing. Upon teardown they told me it was the clutch so they ended up replacing everything including the transmission. I guess when mother Nissan is footing the bill they don't care. I've never heard of a flywheel needing replacement with the clutch. Is this unique to the Xterra? After reading this forum, I'm proably going to sell it while it has some value.
    So your repairs were covered under the warranty?!!! I have a 2007, 32,000 miles Xterra and was told absolutely not!
    Well, I don't have good news. Finally did hear from my regional manager and of course he kept saying it was a wear item and would not be covered under the warranty, etc...even though I told him of all of these postings here and it was not a driver fault situation, but a inadequate clutch. The Nissan dealership told me it would be $800 to just take it apart to look at it, and then of course the parts would be extra...and to be prepared to pay up to $2000. Which implied to me, they knew what to expect and have seen this before.
    I brought it to a respected mechanic in town and after looking at it agreed that the clutch is not built for a 6 speed, high HP vehicle. The flywheel was also damaged and needs to be replaced. I am supposed to be able to pick it up this afternoon.

But here is my suggestion to everyone;

Go to the Nissan website, click on the Warranty tab, and send an email explaining your problem. A regional manager should be assigned to you and contact you directly. You have to have a "file number" before anyone will return your calls. You should receive the file number in your email confirmation. Hopefully if they receive enough of our complaints they have to document it and rectify this problem.
    My plan is to sell it, trade it in and get a totally different vehicle. It is very unfortunate because this is my third Nissan and did like the Xterra very much. But since they will not even consider stepping up to the plate to help a loyal customer, I am ready to contact the local news station also and have the Consumer Guru go after them! Good luck to everyone and if anyone ever hears good news, please let us all know!
    The repair was indeed covered under warranty. I'm surprised yours was not if you are the original owner. The Xterra is supposed to have a 5 year or 60,000 mile warranty on the drive train. There's no way you should burn up a clutch in less than 75K even if can't drive a vehicle with a clutch very well. Like I said, I'd been hearing the noise & felt vibration since 15K, but my vehicle had ~ 40K when they finally diagnosed the problem and repaired it. I agree with the rest of you folks, that it is a design flaw, but I doubt Nissan will ever own up to it. Too bad, I like the Xterra, but I'm selling it and will not buy another Nissan.
  • sublimesnfusublimesnfu Member Posts: 6
    Well, the clutch on my 06 xterra started slipping slightly a week ago and now is almost completely shot. Tomorrow I will see how things go with the dealership, I've bough two xterra's from them so we shall see........
    We'll I began to get the run around at the dealership today, until I mentioned to them I had printouts from this and several other forums describing the exact same problem, then I mentioned the fact that I have a second xterra (loyal customer) and that I just replaced the clutch on my Galant Vr4 turbo at 114k compared to the 29k that is on my xterra X, you guess which one get's driven harder.

Now they have to call nissan tech support and talk with them, which is sounding a little better than oh go buy a clutch and pay us to put it in, the saga continues. FYI, my lawyer friend mentioned that if they do refuse to warranty it to file a complaint with the state Attorney General, she said she has never had a warranty claim not be honored after the AG's office makes a phone call, hopefully it won't get to that point, we shall see.
    Well, went in today and was assurred both the clutch and flywheel will be replaced under warranty after the dealer spoke with the Nissan Tech support line. :-D If anyone else experiences this problem drop me a line at [email protected] I will be happy to try and help you get covered under warranty.
    I wonder if the actual problem might be in the master cylinder or it's adjustment and slipping is occurring even when the pedal is not depressed. Just food for thought. It seems weird that some of us have had trouble and others not. I hope mine lasts. I'm like you and get long life from clutches -- 240,000 Miles on my Toyota and 180,000 on my Mitsu (blame my wife on the Mitsu). ;)
    Mine went out at 20k. First thing I checked was the slave cylinder, and it was all the way back when the pedal was out indicating the pressure plate had full force on the disc. When the pedal was fully depressed the throwout bearing arm had full travel. The symptom was that the clutch didn't grab until the pedal was within a inch of all the way out (the disc was totally worn and therefore thin). With the clutch not grabbing until the pedal was almost all the way out, it slipped more, frying the flywheel and pressure plate.
    You mention some do not have this premature clutch failure. Do you know of a 2006 or later Xterra (with the 6-speed Z-based trans) clutch lasting more miles than the 20-30k typical? All my other car and truck clutches typically last 150k plus, but none are Nissans. The X is also rated for 6k lb towing, and I can imagine the clutch would fail even earlier if used for towing per the factory rating.
    Bottom line is it appears to me that Nissan used a passenger car clutch design (because of the Z transmission they adapted to the X) in a much heavier truck, and didn't bother to do reliability testing in the X. Maybe this is the Renault ownership influence.
    Woohoo! Congratulations on the warranty replacement. By the way, somewhrere in this thread, someone mentioned their engine over-reving. Mine would do the same. I wonder if this is a common occurance. I finally surmised that the Xterra's must be "drive by wire" meaning that there is a throttle position sensor rather than a direct linkage to the fuel management system. Every other manual trans I've ever driven, the press of the clutch and the release of the gas peddle were simultaneous. when I drive the Xterra this way, the engine RPM does not back off immediately like a direck linkage to a carbureator or fuel injection, but remains high for a few seconds. Right after my clutch replacement, i noticed the same rattle and vibe, just not as bad. Now when I shift, I release the gas peddle, pause momentarily, the clutch and shift and the noise/vibe does not occur. Wouldn't releasing the clutch while the engine was still at a high rev, cause it to drag and therefore wear prematurely? Just a thought.
    Great point on the engine revs hanging for a moment after the clutch is depressed and fooot is lifted from the gas pedal. Some people have said that it's because of the heavy rotational mass of the VQ-40's flywheel and others have said that it's to reduce emissions. I too have learned to hesitate a moment to let the RPM's die before upshifting. Regardless, it sure does appear that Nissan needs to engineer a solution to the clutch surface and flywheel. I find myself babying mine, which I shouldn't have to do.
    That's excellent that you checked the clutch take up, slave and thowout action. Your theory on slippage seems spot on to me and some photos I've seen on another website show a great deal of heat discoloration on the flywheel.

I'll have to get a sense of take up on my truck. I've never thought much about it until now.
    How would I check the clutch uptake. I have to say that the clutch engagement is much much tighter now with the new clutch, could be because it is a fresh clutch. Before it seemed like you could ease into the clutch nice and smooth, now you seem to have about an inch of pedal travel between no engagement and the clutch grabbing.
    It would appear that some clutches for the Xterras are getting warranty replacements, yet many of us are expected to pick up the cost. I am documenting these premature failures. I want to here your accounts if they paid out or not. my clutch went a 30,000 km mostly Canadian highway. I am English and have driven manual transmission for 30yrs since the age of 12. How bad is my driving suddenly? [email protected].
  • kwheelzkwheelz Member Posts: 1
    Manual transmission Xterra Off Road
    <25,000 easy driving, no off road, but a few dirt roads
    Clutch went out over the weekend, progressing from subtle, slight clutch slipping to complete failure in two days, only highway driving, but weekend stop and go traffic sped up the process.

Question for the experts: When the clutch completely failed, the car shutdown, no power brakes or power steering? Next day at local dealership, car started right up? Left me in a very dangerous highway situation.

Service said they had not heard of this issue before, would need to check to see if there was an obvious reason for failure, and then take up with Nissan to fix under warranty.

What can I expect with a new clutch, another 25K of use? No more Nissan for me.

Thank you to all that posted before me so that I know this is not an isolated incident.
    My dealer said this>>
    "Nissan Canada has no reason to believe there exists an inherent clutch problem with the Xterra. There has not been an unusual number of warranty claims attempted or otherwise and also, and more importantly, there has not been an unusual number of parts sales for repairs that customers are paying for."

2010 will involve 2 new vehicles in my household. neither one will be a Nissan.
    That is all BS, go in there armed to the teeth with printouts from this and other forums showing there is a problem, and see if they don't start stuttering when they speak. I did just that and they fixed my car that day under warranty.
  • phxjeffphxjeff Member Posts: 4
    I have a 2008 Xterra Off the Road with 6 spd. I purchased it in March of 2008. In August of 2008 with under 4,000 miles the clutch went completely. The dealer replaced the clutch, pressure plate and flywheel plus bearing. All was fine until last week. With less than 10,000 miles total (5,000 on recent clutch) it went again. I have been driving standard transmissions since the 1950's. I have had some very high performance cars and never a clutch problem. I am the only driver and drive the vehicle very easy. No dune driving. As others have said and I tend to agree I think the clutch is under designed. Clutches should last 100,000 miles +. I am worried that it will just go again in 4,000 miles. Does anyone know of a heavy duty replacement?
    A post in April suggested trying a Tribco (www.tribco.com) Kevlar composite clutch. I am still amazed that Nissan won't acknowledge this obvious defective design and take ownership for a better design upgrade at their expense. Mine was replaced by a dealer with the weak OEM design. Many who post their failures say their dealer won't replace under warrantee (clutch and brakes are excluded from the warantee), and a typical replacement charge is $3k or more. My '08 X is my first and last Nissan product, and will be sold soon. I feel I have been royally screwed by this company, and will be out many $k by having no choice but sell it and take the depreciation hit. I also feel guilty in selling it to an unsuspecting buyer, but hope that someone has the means to start a class-action lawsuit in the near future.
  • tincanmantincanman Member Posts: 8
    I have a 2008 nissan frontier 4x4 6 cyl. quad cab. It has the factory tow package and a 6 speed manual tranny. In the process of towing my 21 foot sea swirl to go fishing ..........twice, the clutch burned out. At 22,000 miles! I have been driving a stick most of the time since I was 16 years old. I am 53. this is unheard of. Of course the dealer stiffed me. said it wasn't covered under the warranty. then they held there hand out and said I owe them 109 dollars to do the diagnostic. To make a long story short, I found a guy in San Diego Ca that makes a SOLID FLYWHEEL AND ORGANIC CLUTCH PLATE. It looks to be an inch bigger in diameter then the factory dual mass pos. and apparently weighs less. I am having Tustin transmission do the work. Screw Nissan.
    The outfit in S. D. ca. is called Jim Wolf Technology. They specialize in Nissan. They are the only one I could find that was up to speed on the late model nissan frontier. After shipping and taxes they charged me 1,043 bucks for the flywheel, clutch and pressure plate, throwout and pilot bearing. one day shipping. tustin transmission will install it for a little over 550. That is under 1600 bucks as opposed to Nissan putting their pos in there for 2250 plus tax and it going out in another 15 thousand miles. Nissan is cutting their own throat, slowly.
    Welcome to the club, unfortunately. I assume your Frontier has the same 6-speed and under-designed clutch as the Xterra. None of the posters here who have experienced premature clutch failure (averages 20k miles) on this site have stated they do anything but average driving, yet most have been stiffed by Nissan. Nissan fails to take ownership for a clearly defective design, and doesn't offer an improved clutch design even at the owner's expense. Since they are suffering financially as a company, it will likely take a successful class-action lawsuit to force them to have a silent recall or repair campaign, which would take years. Other than selling our Nissans and taking a big hit on the first years depreciated value, finding our own solution is the only other option.
    This is why I truly appreciate you taking the time to provide the info you found on an improved clutch/flywheel set. I expect my wife's Xterra factory replacement clutch to fail again in another 10k miles, and plan to contact Jim Wolfe Tech to possibly secure a replacement set to have on hand. Thanks.
    Tustin transmission should be just about done installing the solid flywheel and organic clutch I bought from jim wolf technology. However, I think I will wait till tomorrow to pick it up. Veteran of socal rush hour driving! I will post my impressions of its drivability when I do.
    If there are any negative impressions of the saviour parts I will not hold back on my coments. Tustin transmission is going to box up the oem pos and give it to me after they have taken it out. I fired off an email to bar, bureau of automotive repair complaint department. I suggest anybody else with this problem do the same.

thanks
    Well, I got the truck back. It is a little different to drive. Kept the dual mass flywheel. The mechanic said that they can be resurfaced if you know what you are doing. Any ways the feel is much more direct. The clutch grabs much quicker. There will have to be some muscle memory adjustments on my part but I don't foresee any big problem.
    I equivolate the dual mass flywheel with off set golf clubs to compensate for a duffer slice. Bought some of those clubs one time and immediately started hooking everything. Plus they were cast instead of forged and so I had about 2% feel of the golf ball at impact. But......, I guess the proper way to relate what this new set up feels like is to wait a spell and when my muscle memory has caught up, post a note for you all.
    Thanks
  • pittxterrapittxterra Member Posts: 1
    So after having my clutch go 3 weeks ago ('06 Xterra 4x4, 33.5K miles) I did some searching on the net to see this is a growing trend. This is my 2nd Xterra manual, first one was an '01 4x4 (90K+ miles with original clutch) which i traded in for the '06. Despite a 4x4, this vehicle has never been taken off-road or beat up in any way. Nissan service at the dealership could not believe it went this quickly and have never seen this before...although after taking the clutch apart they said it was considered "normal" wear and tear so the Warranty would not cover this.

After spending $1500 to get it fixed (new clutch & resurfaced flywheel) while Nissan Consumer Affairs "researched" my complaint and to see if they would cover this under warranty, I finally received a call today to say after "careful" deliberation with their staff that they were not going to cover it.

I still have my burnt out clutch and other parts from the incident and plan on holding onto it in case a mass forms to move towards a class-action suit.

This is absolute BS in my mind and I know Nissan has definitely lost my business permanently (was actually about ready to purchase a Nissan or Infiniti vehicle for our second car).
  • 2008exterra2008exterra Member Posts: 1
    I have 16,000 miles on my 2008 exterra and the middletown NY nissan dealer said that the clutch is burnt. The flywheel is burnt. I been driving 30 years all my clutches have lasted 80,000 miles to 120,000 miles. There is a problem with the clutch. They want over 2,ooo to fix it. I called the 800# the (girl) says they will look into it. She calls me back with the same information that the dealer stated. NO Help. I did not pick up the car yet. I am calling the attorney General and all news programs in reguards to this inferior product.
  • pretty_sneakypretty_sneaky Member Posts: 1
    Dam; I thought I was the olny~1
    with 2008froner 10k.000 miles

clutch~flywheel;Aside from warranty issues!
    besides wanting to extort $1,600
    I happen to go thru the same regional denial!

It must be pre~determine and they are in
    koo~hootz b/the tech.!

As my little pakistan women friend would say..
    "what to do? , what to do?"

[email protected]
  • orbframeorbframe Member Posts: 2
    I feel happy to know I'm not alone but PISSED knowing this is ongoing with Nissan not doing anything...

I have a 2005 Frontier V6 Nismo which I baby... it only has 30,000 miles in these 4 years. I've been driving 13 years now, all of which were on Manual Transmissions. I have NEVER had clutch problems before...

The clutch in the Nissan is absolutley horrible. No holding power what-so-ever. I roasted it once off road, once in San Francisco, and just recently it failed on me last week driving up a driveway with (gasp) 400 Lbs in the bed... stinky burned clutch and horrible noise...

I'm gonna do the job myself and get the flywheel resurfaced... Has anyone switched to a Daikin/Exedy clutch with good results?

Now If they would just fix my leaky rear axle seal.....
  • grubzgrubz Member Posts: 2
    Daikin/Exedy is the OEM supplier so you'd be getting teh same bad part. went doen that road too as mine burnt up last year and there were no aftermarket clutches available at teh time. JWT makes a clutch now, as does Centerforce so at least you have options. MY mechanic just went over teh flywheel with emery cloth and said it was fine. As long as you really baby teh clutch once it starts slipping you shouldn't warp teh flywheel. Also it's not an aluminum flywheel as some have said. it's steel as i had him check that.