Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Ford F-Series Suspension and Axle Components

josijosi Member Posts: 4
edited July 2014 in Ford
at 60000 mi I have front wheel bearing broblem. Is this a commen thing ?

Comments

• Options
    vlsr585vlsr585 Member Posts: 1
    FIRST READ ABOUT PROBLEM IN TRAILER LIFE MAGAZINE 2 OR 3 YEARS AGO. ARTICLE SEEMED TO INDICATE THAT THE PROBLEM WAS DUE TO FRONT WHEEL EXTENDED SPINDLE ON DUAL REAR WHEELED MODELS. ASKED A FEW DEALERSHIP SERVICE PERSONEL, AND THEY CONFIRMED IT. COSTS RANGE ABOUT $2000. HAVE A 2001 F-350 DEISEL DUALLY, AND ABOUT A YEAR AGO HAD THIS PROBLEM AT ABOUT 80,000 MILES. I HAD A GOOD FRIEND REPLACE MINE FOR $1400. SAID, "IT WAS THE TOUGHFEST JOB HE EVER HAD TO DO, AND HOPED IT WAS HIS LAST." JUST RECENTLY HEARD FROM ANOTHER FRIEND TWICE WITH SAME PROBLEM ON HIS 2001 SINGLE REAR WHEEL MODEL. PROBLEM SEEMS TO COME FROM BEARING/HUB ASSEMBLY BEING A SEALED UNIT. CAN'T REPACK BEARINGS. CAN'T FIND ANY AFTER MARKET UNIT HUBES THAT CAN BE REPACKED. ALSO, MY TRUCK EATS ROTORS AND PADS THREE TIMES FASTER THAT ANY OTHER VEHICLE I EVER HAD. EVEN PREFORMANCE REPLACEMENTS OFFER THAT MUCH LONGER LIFE THAT THE FACTORY EQUIPMENT.
  • Options
    josijosi Member Posts: 4
    On 2000 f-350 I lost five tires due to faulty valve stems,did Ford know about this problem ?
  • Options
    czeldafan2czeldafan2 Member Posts: 1
    READ AND CHECK YOUR TRUCKS, WE OWNED A 2001 F 150 TWO WHEEL DRIVE AND ON NOV. 11, 2008 THE REAR PASSENGER AXLE BROKE, MY HUSBAND LOST CONTROL AND THE BRAKES, THE TRUCK ROLLED KILLING MY HUSBAND. IF YOU OWN THIS TYPE OF TRUCK AND HAVE HAD PROBLEMS WITH THE REAR AXLES PLEASE LET ME KNOW.
    marthalo21@hotmail.com.
  • Options
    fordman26fordman26 Member Posts: 2
    my F350 Diesel owners manual lists three different rear axle types and two deifferent Gear Oil types with vaslty different viscosities, but no way of matching the numbers on the axle ID-tag to any of the listed axles. Do you have any ideas how to match these informations?
  • Options
    snowbrdjnkysnowbrdjnky Member Posts: 6
    Can anyone tell me if it is possible and what you have to do to convert an open rear end to a limited slip?
  • Options
    snowbrdjnkysnowbrdjnky Member Posts: 6
  • Options
    polaris8polaris8 Member Posts: 7
  • Options
    polaris8polaris8 Member Posts: 7
    Rear axel/diff. shakes just on take off then stops at
    about 10 mph. Some say it could be the clutch packs ??
  • Options
    capuppicapuppi Member Posts: 1
    I am trying to find out which rear i have inorder to replace it. Ford has been no help at all. Any suggestions?
  • Options
    petecalpetecal Member Posts: 28
    That looks like I need to change the radius arm bushings.

Anybody know how hard that could be? I see a giant nut with lots'a rust.
    Shop Manual says remove coil spring. Then the front end of the raduis arm. Could it be possible to not do that? I doubt it but I thought I would ask.

Then remove the giant nut and take out the pieces. Are any of them pressed in? Like those giant rubber bushings I can see from the side?

Does this effect the wheel alignment? I have a real problem getting this van aligned. They do the toe-in but the camber is off a little and no one, even a dealer, wants to do it. I think it is because there are bushings that have to be calculated and no body wants to try.

Pete
  • Options
    petecalpetecal Member Posts: 28
This discussion has been closed.