Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Pontiac G6- Water leak

Comments

• mskrockmskrock Member Posts: 2
    I plan on taking it to a dealership as this has happened twice in a month and I do not want my carpet to mold or mildew. This sucks! (for lack of a better term)
  • gmcustsvcgmcustsvc Member Posts: 4,252
    teddyj1,

I apologize for the problem you are experiencing with your vehicle. Were you planning on taking the vehicle to the dealership? Please keep me posted.

Thank you,
    Caron, GM Customer Service
    mskrock,

I understand. Please keep me posted when the issue has been taken care of.

Thank you,
  • teddyj1teddyj1 Member Posts: 2
    I checked with the local dealership, they scheduled me to come in this coming Saturday then they called for the vin # and said there are no cases open for that year. If I brought it in nothing would be covered and I would have to pay out of pocket. I spent almost 28k for this car that is falling apart in a few years! I shouldn't have to pay for GM's screw up.. :lemon:
    teddyj1,

I would like to set up a case with GM Customer Assistance. In order to start the process I will need your complete contact information (including full name, mailing address and phone number), VIN, current mileage and the involved dealership sent to me in an email. Also, could you please provide a brief description of the problems you are experiencing?

The vehicle will need to have been diagnosed by a GM dealership within the past 30 days.

You can get my email by clicking on gmcustsvc.

Thank you,
  • jstinya2jstinya2 Member Posts: 2
    I bought my 2007 Pontiac G6 GT Coupe last Monday and when I took it for a wash, I noticed water leaking inside my car near both bath windows. Also, it rained really bad yesterday and when I got it my car my seatbelt and carpet was wet and smelled badly. There still is the 5 year or 100,000 manufacture warranty on it but I do not know where to go to get this fixed. I'm sad that I am having this issure already.
  • gonogogonogo Member Posts: 879
    The 5-100 K is power train unless you bought extended. Do you have a sun roof ? If so the drains are unhooked.
  • jstinya2jstinya2 Member Posts: 2
    Yes, I have a sun roof. I will make sure I let the dealership know this when I take it in on Monday. Thank you. I really hope this fixes it. My carpet smells.
  • southern96southern96 Member Posts: 3
    I AM HAVING THIS PROBLEM ONLY AFTER HAVING MY 2008 G6 FOR ONE YEAR.
    I AM SCHEDULED TO HAVE MY CAR DONE FOR ITS SIX MONTH INSPECTION, I WILL BRING THAT TO THEIR ATTENTION AND IF THEY BLOW ME OFF I WILL CONTACT COOPERATE OFFICE. I HAVE SPENT ALOT OF MONEY TO KEEP THE CARPET DRY IN THAT ONE SPOT. IT DOES CAUSE AN AWFUL SMELL AND I HAVE BROUGHT EVERY CAR AIR FRESHER ON THE MARKET. BAD CHOICE OF MAKE AND MODEL.
    southern96,
    Please let me know how things go at the dealer. I apologize for your frustrations. I look forward to your update.
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
    GOOD AFTERNOON CHRISTINA; WELL I TOOK MY CAR TO CRAIN FORD IN JACKSONVILLE, AR FOR THE POWER TRAIN INSPECTION AND I DID MENTION TO THE SERVICE TECH ABOUT THE CARPET BEING WET. HE SCHEDULED FOR ME TO BRING MY CAR BACK ON WEDNESDAY, AUGUST 10; HE SAID IT COULD BE THE AC LINE BLOCKED AND IF SO SOMETIMES IT CAN BE FIXED OR REPLACED. I AM NEEDING TO KNOW SINCE ITS A MANUFACTURE MATTER WILL I HAVE TO PAY ANYTING??? THANKS FOR YOUR HELP
    southern96,
    I apologize for your concerns. Can you please email me with your VIN? I look forward to your response.
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
    THE VIN# 1G2ZF57B984214486. JUST WANTING TO KNOW WHY YOU HAVE TO HAVE THE VIN#?
    southern96,
    The VIN allows me to look in to the vehicle history as well as recall information etc. Can you please email me with your current mileage, involved dealer as well as your contact information? Click on my user name and the email is located there. I look forward to your response.
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
  • jmcgee1986jmcgee1986 Member Posts: 1
    I'M HAVEN SAME PROBLEM BACKSEAT FRONT SEAT PASS FLOOR ALSO , SATURDAY DUE TO MOLD PULLED CARPET SUCKED OUT 3 GALLONS OF WATER BY THURSDAY WE THOUGHT THE AC LINE CLEANED IT OUT AND WE LOOKED YESTERDAY MONDAY MORE WATER
    jmcgee1986,

I apologize for the problems you are experiencing with your vehicle. Were you planning on taking the vehicle to a GM dealership? Please keep me posted.

Thank you,
  • bess15bess15 Member Posts: 3
    i purchased a 2007 Pontiac G6 GT... coupe about 8 or 9 months ago and i am experiencing the same problems... my back seats get really damp... and the passenger side floor gets soaked... and today i opened my trunk and lifted the spare tire cover and found 3 inches of water in the carrier... i called my locale GM Dealer and i am scheduled for Oct. 13... when i talked to the gentlemen on the phone he told me it could be the draining tubes from the sunroof... and they could be disconnected but would not give me an idea how much it would be until they checked... can anyone give me maybe an idea of the price? thanks :)
    bess15,
    Once the dealer looks at it they will be able to give you a better idea of what it will cost to repair it. They should come to you with an estimate before beginning repairs. Will you update me on your progress? :)
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
    so i just recently took my G6 down to a GM dealership and they told me it was the draining tubes from the sunroof that flow to the back of the wheel wells... were clogged... and they told me that they would have to remove the interior including... front seats, back seats, carpet, center console and truck carpet... and most importantly the headliner. so they wanted to take apart my car and clean the interior for 12 hours of labor at $70 an hour! $800 to $900 dollars total. so i took it home and i ran a feed line to maybe get the debris out and i ran about 12 feet and it kept feeding it and eventually i came to the conclusion that the tube was disconnect under the roof liner... so i have decided to take the liner down and reattach the tube(s) (check on both while i'm at it.
  • dlinerdliner Member Posts: 6
    I have a 2005 4dr G6 with a moonroof which leaks like everybody else that has the specific models that GM has identified and acknowledged the issue of the drain tubes which are factory installed are too short and have a tendency of pulling apart becoming disconnected allowing water to drain inside the frame of your car eventually draining into the interior onto your upholstery and carpet. Because of this issue which GM has identified, and if not corrected as soon as water is realized on the inside of the car, the interior carpets and upholstery become mildewed and then rot. At this point you are probably having recurring upper respiratory issues due to the mildew or even pneumonia (double pneumonia in my case). You are totally frustrated as I was because you have taken your vehicle to the dealership numerous times and they supposedly have no idea what you are talking about and since it doesn't leak while the dealership has your car, they find no issue.
    You then find this forum and read about other people with the same issues and realize you are not crazy so you reply to a posting or add your own. You are soon contacted by GM Customer Service and you think FINALLY I am going to get some help. Somebody really cares.
    I would like to know has anybody actually had anything good come out of being contacted by this, by the way "NEW" group of reps that are contacting people they find on forums to pacify them for a period of time. Have they actually fixed your car? My experience with this GM Customer Service group is utter frustration. Why waste people's time, giving them hope that help has finally arrived and then pull the rug out from under them again.
    Has anybody had any success with a contact made on this forum or any forum by the GM Customer service?

:lemon: Just saying....
    edited October 2011
    so like i said in my last post i took my Pontiac to the GM dealership and they wanted $900 to fix it... so today i took the headliner down (which is actually pretty easy i must say) and found out that both draining tubes were disconnected... so i reconnected the tubes using a PVC glue (very strong) around the outside and waited till it was dry... then ran water down the tubes and drained successfully down and out the back end... and put the headliner back in... connected very easily. i then took out the back seat and found that it smelled... so i took the seat out and the liner... and i plan to shampoo and sanitize the seats and the carpets... cheaper then $900!
    bess15,
    When did you take it to the dealer and what was the mileage? Please update me on your repair for your vehicle. :)
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
    Christina,

You are not serious. I have gone through this with not only GM customer service but with you too. Would you like to look up my records?

Donna Liner
    dliner,
    I apologize I was responding to bess15. Each case is handled on case by case basis. While it is unfortunate GM Customer Assistance or myself were unable to help you; I will still continue to document customer concerns and try to assist others. Enjoy your week!
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
  • jlautenslagerjlautenslager Member Posts: 1
    I have the same problem, 2005 Pontiac G6. I took it to the GM dealership 2 months ago to have the problem fixed for almost $1,000. Well, today it rained and sure enough the leaking problem is back. I am beyond frustrated. Not sure what I plan on doing while this tropical storm passes as I don't have a garage. I can't understand why GM hasn't issued a recall?
    Water leak is not a safety item. GMPP will not even cover water leaks.
    Take it back to the dealer, $1000 should have fixed it.
    jlautenslager,
    The dealer usually has a warranty on their repairs. I would definitely recommend contacting the dealer. I can also set up a case for you with GM Customer Assistance. They will work with you and the dealer to come to a resolution for your situation.
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
  • lablauralablaura Member Posts: 1
    Christina,
    I have a 2005 G6 that had the water leak problem on the passenger side when we bought the car (used). Dealership fixed this under warranty in 2009. So they knew at this point that there was a problem with the whole thing--but did they fix all of the drains-NO! They have a TSB that says they recognize on models of G6's from 2006---only--not 2005--why is that??

Now I have the same problem on the drivers side. My husband passed away suddenly in 2009 and I was diagnosed with lung cancer a few months later (umm--wonder if it had anything to do with moldy carpet??). I am still alive--and spent a lot of money to beat the cancer--but I certainly don't have $1000 or even $400 to go to a dealer to get this fixed--especially when it should have been fixed the first time it was found. I will have to call on friends and diagrams from the internet to see if they can help me fix it.

You would think with pages and pages of customers documenting this same issue--and more on other sites--that GM customer service folks would get a CLUE! I would rather poke out an eye than have to go back to GM service at the dealership here in Conway AR. I am not part of the 1%--so I can't afford them! I have owned several vehicles bought from this dealership--but I am done now.

Collecting data and saying you're sorry is only part of "problem resolution" protocols--at some point YOU FIX THE PROBLEM!

Very Frustrated in Arkansas!!
  • sammig88sammig88 Member Posts: 1
    ive had my g6 gt for a year and have been trying to get sunroof fixed. it's no longer covered so i had a friend unplug the drains. . . . and 2 weeks after i found a puddle on the floor by rear passenger seats...again!!! so now i am looking the information up and i can not believe how many posts are up and GM has done NOTHING? wheres the recall for this? absolutely ridiculous.
    has anyone figured out a solution that actually works and isnt $1000's.
    I started this thread and just wanted to see if you are getting anywhere with "GM Customer Service".

Every thread I read has basically the same problem with the water leak in their G6. It appears they have a script they follow because from what I have seen, they ask the same questions to each posting and have the same replies. Amazing as Christine, who by they way opened a case for me stated in one of her replies to me they handle each posting as a new, individual case. Really, why the same questions and responses.

This GM Customer Service Group is a joke!

Donna
    From what I have read, which is alot, the drain tubes are too short. If I ever have to fix mine I am going to add extensions and clamps.
    lablaura,
    I understand your frustrations. If you would email me your VIN, current mileage and the dealer your have worked with I will look into this. I'm very sorry to hear about your husband. I am happy to try to assist you in getting your concern resolved. I look forward to your email.
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
  • gmcustsvcsarahgmcustsvcsarah Member Posts: 1,964
    Sammig88,

We'd like to get a case set up for you - please email us your name/username, contact information, the last 8 digits of your VIN, and the name of your involved dealership. These cases do help GM see frequent concerns.

Best,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
  • kmheitkampkmheitkamp Member Posts: 4
    I have a 2005 Pontiac G6 and recently have experienced the floor behind the driver's seat becoming wet when it rains.I am unable to find out how the water is getting in the car because the door and sides are dry while the floor is so wet it creates a puddle. Has anyone experienced this with their car and have a solution. I had it looked at when getting my oil changed and the mechanics were unable to find the cause. Thanks for any help!
    If we can follow up with your dealership for you, please email us more information (including your name/user name, the last 8 digits of your VIN, and your involved dealership).

Best,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
  • hapdawg42hapdawg42 Member Posts: 2
    i have the same problem in my 2005 pontiac G6 wet floors on drivers side why isn't this a recall i see post saying it's not a safety issue how is it not a safety issue with gallons of water in your car causing mold and water running through your electrical my car wouldn't start because it got something wet and had to dry out for a day
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,146
    It isn't a safety issue. It is something that could lead to a safety issue if it isn't fixed, which is different from a safety issue. I'm not saying this to minimize the problem, because it's obviously a problem that no one would want, and I'd probably try to find the origin of the water leak ASAP. You'd either have to be in a monsoon or have huge, gaping holes to literally have gallons of water in the vehicle.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• hapdawg42hapdawg42 Member Posts: 2
    it appears it's a problem with your cars for over 4 yrs and never fixed why should customers need to pay to have it fixed and i did it's coming through the sunroof
  • cola2cola2 Member Posts: 4
    Hi Christina,
    I also just discovered water on the back of passenger seat. G6 2007 new owner. My wife bought the car during the summer time and now rainy seasons we discover the leak. She purchase an extended warranty with the dealer, will this be cover? She is very mad and is threaten to take the car back.
    Do you know if there is a recall on g6 2007?
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,146
    It's not a problem with MY cars at all - I don't represent any manufacturer. I'm here representing Edmunds.com, not GM.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

Hapdawg42,

Are you planning on working with a dealership towards resolving this concern? Please let us know if we may be of assistance by sending us an email with more information.

Best,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
    Thanks, this will be our last GM car we own
    Hello Cola2,

We can look into this further. Please email us the last 8 digits of your VIN and your name/username.

Regards,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
    Hi Sarah,
    Yes my wife is going to dealership tomorrow trying to get it fix with the extended warranty. Do you know if this will get covered?

Thanks
    I will get the VIN # when I get a hold of my wife. What user name are you referring too?

Thanks so much
    Username for Edmunds - just to make sure we can link up any records there with your posts here.

We'll be able to tell you for sure about warranty coverage when we can pull open the information with the VIN.

Best,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
  • jjsteele94jjsteele94 Member Posts: 1
    I also have a 2005 pontiac g6 and the leak appeared a couple months ago and has gotten worse. my floorboards are soaked with all the rain we got the last couple days. Is this a problem someone can fix theirself? you would think the would be a recal since so many people have the same problem. I also have the extended warrenty
    Jjsteele94,

Am I right in that you have a GMPP? Which one do you have?

Best,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
    My GMPP booklet states water leaks are not covered, I have Major Guard.
  • kmheitkampkmheitkamp Member Posts: 4
    Can you help with advice on water behind the drivers seat floor due to outside rain, coming from a different source than the side door?

Do I need to give my VIN in order to help you identify my specific car and any solutions to the problem? I would be happy to provide this number if it would help.

Thanks!