Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Honda CR-V Trailer Towing

tpfeffertpfeffer Member Posts: 1
edited March 2014 in Honda
There are a lot of discussions on this board about installing a trailer hitch. In fact, this was helpful in my decision to install a Class III hitch. However, I find very little about actual trailer towing experiences.

I am hauling my daughter 1300 miles to start her life in another city. I plan on towing a 5x8 enclosed UHaul trailer that has a empty weight of 900 lbs. What she has is bulky rather than too heavy.

My question is what has been the experience of towing using a 07 CR-V? Any cautions or things I need to be aware of? What mpg were you getting?

Thanks

Comments

• blufz1blufz1 Member Posts: 2,045
    Get in the right lane and don't go too fast.
  • blueiedgodblueiedgod Member Posts: 2,798
    Brakes are your limiting factor, just remember that and you will be fine.
  • aaronj25aaronj25 Member Posts: 2
    I am considering buying a 2008 CR-V AWD and would like to hear about others towing experience as well.

I typically tow a trailer with ATV total weight 1400 lbs. I had a 1997 CR-V AWD and would tow this load approx 400 miles in hilly terrain from Northern Arkansas to Southern Oklahoma. I did not turn the O/D (over drive) off during these trips. It was always a fairly agitating trip with the family because of the RPM changes and loud engine rev.

I know the 2008 CR-V has higher torque than the 1997, but now understand that turning off the O/D on the 2008 only leaves you with 3 gears! How fast can one travel in third gear? Must I turn the O/D off to tow? Someone who has experienced this situation......

PLEASE HELP
  • diesellabsdiesellabs Member Posts: 8
    Sorry, I don't have any CRV towing experience to share, but I looked in my 08's owner manual on the subject:

Honda advises to leave the transmission in D when towing on level terrain and use D3 when ascending/descending significant hills. Per the manual, trailer weight not to exceed 1500#, and loads over 1000# require trailer brakes (surge or electric). Also, the usual cautions about cargo distribution and possible overheating on long grades.
  • aaronj25aaronj25 Member Posts: 2
    This does help tremendously. Thanks
  • blufz1blufz1 Member Posts: 2,045
    My .02 is to wait for the diesel CRV in 2009/2010. It would tow much better
This discussion has been closed.