Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Buick Enclave Leaks When It Rains

Comments

• jackiemom23jackiemom23 Member Posts: 3
    DO NOT BUY THE CAR! I just traded mine in after have so many problems it wasn't even funny! I posted on this thread a while back. I will NEVER own another Buick! I love my new Honda and even with all the features it has, I enjoy the no leaks THE MOST!
  • timberleaftimberleaf Member Posts: 3
    My 2008 Enclave is having the same leaky sunroof problem that has been well-documented on this and many other forums. There was indeed a recall in 2008 BUT my VIN number was excluded from the recall. Now I am having the exact same problem and the dealer wants $1900 to fix it. I want to know why my Enclave - and MANY others - are having the exact same problem that the recall was supposed to address but was excluded from the recall notice.

If the dealership does not find a way to fix this for free (nevermind that my electronics, speakers etc. are a ticking timebomb from all of the soaking) I am going to find a lawyer who is looking for a fat juicy class action lawsuit.
  • gmcustsvcsarahgmcustsvcsarah Member Posts: 1,964
    Good morning timberleaf,

We would be happy to look into this further with you; please send us the following information at [email protected] so we can get a Service Request going: your name and Edmunds username, phone and address, the last 8 of your VIN and current mileage, and the name of your involved dealership.

Sarah, GM Customer Service
  • 1racer1racer Member Posts: 1
    It finally rained here and my newly purchased 2008 Enclave sunroof is leaking, so came here and found out about all the problems and recalls and now need help fixing it before the mold thing starts.
  • timberleaftimberleaf Member Posts: 3
    It was strange - I texted my usual service rep at the local dealership that I would be bringing my 2008 Enclave in with a leaky sunroof. When I showed up the next day the service manager took control of my case himself, rather than my usual guy. We went back and forth a bit about who was going to pay for the repair since it was such a well documented issue - and that there had been a recall for 2008s with the same problem. Later the same day I got a call from a dealer salesman to see if I wanted to buy a new one instead. To make a long story short, we ended up buying a new 2012. After reading about the many electrical problems etc. that can result from repeatedly soaking the dashboard, and learning about the many upgrades to the engine and transmission since 2008, which had also given us concern over the years, we bailed on the old one to avoid almost certain future problems. They gave us a good deal and GM pitched in an additional $1500 due to the leak issue. Not at all what we had planned on but I think it was the smart decision in the long run. However, I still filed a complaint with the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration documenting the many problems to 2008 Enclaves that were excluded from the original recall and I strongly encourage anyone with this issue to do so as well.
  • carinfopleasecarinfoplease Member Posts: 1
    It was just a about a week ago that my son came to me and said there is a drip coming from the ceiling of our 2008 Buick Enclave. What? the ceiling! Sure enough there was a drip coming from the sensor that sets in the center above the third row seats.

Fast forward to today...its raining outside and my wife gets in our car, puts on her seat belt and it is all wet. she drives out of the driveway and hears a big slosh of water above her head and its NOT on the outside. The water is coming in somewhere and I have to find out where fast. I log in to Edmunds.com to see what the issue might be and yikes...it seems to be a big issue.

Not sure if my VIN was in the "elite" group that was recalled but I can say that if it wasn't I will be looking GM to step up to the plate here. I am in a similar situation with mold issues...I and two of my three kids have Asthma and they will not do well if this water turns my car into a moldy mess.
    It appears that even if they replace the seals in the sunroof (that seams to be the problem area) it often becomes an issue again later. Possibly the vehicle frame did not match the sunroof glass very well in '08.

GM has made a great vehicle here and we have enjoyed our Buick Enclave but I can not afford new seals, carpet or electrical repairs so if GM can not (or will not) own up and fix this issue quickly for us, we will have a car for sale...cheap! and GM will not get a second chance from us.

Has anyone had any luck getting their leak fixed? I have no warranty left (e.g. 108K miles and my extended warranty just expired) so I am hoping someone can direct me to an inexpensive or free repair.

Thanks in advance for your replies.
    Good evening carinfoplease,

If there is anything we can check into for you (recall or warranty information), or if you would like for us to look into the situation further, please email us at [email protected] (include your name and Edmunds username, phone and address, the last 8 of your VIN and current mileage, and the name of your dealership).

All the best,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
    1racer,

We're sorry to hear that you're encountering the leaking concern as well. If we can look into this further with you, please email us at [email protected] (include your name and Edmunds username, phone and address, the last 8 digits of your VIN and current mileage, and the name of your involved dealership).

• amyr1216amyr1216 Member Posts: 6
    I am experiencing the same issues as most of you with the 2008 model, however this is a 2009 model. I want to know why this is happening. The dealership is going to correct it but only because I have owned the suv for 2 days. Purchasing this vehicle makes me weary of the brand that I always trusted.
    amyr1216,

We're glad to hear that your dealership is working this out with you! Please keep us posted on the progress of the repair!

• shreagorshreagor Member Posts: 1
    I purchased my 2008 from Stanley Ford in Pilot Point, Tx in May 2012. This dealer was informed of the water leak within 1 week but the dealer failed to help at all. After numerous calls and taking the vehicle back & forth to the dealer where I purchased the car, I went to the Buick dealer in my area McKinney GMC Buick and found out that there was a recall on the sunroof. Although my VIN wasn't listed on the recall, I contacted Buick's customer recall number and currently they're looking into this issue. Hopefully this issue will be handled without any added cost to us the consumer. Waiting on a reply now, stay tuned.
  • woodland22500woodland22500 Member Posts: 3
    My 2008 Enclave also leaks water from the sunroof resulting in wet front pillars and a wet floor on both the driver and passenger sides. I have had the problem for more than 2 years but had not taken the time to get it into the dealership until 11 days ago. The dealership said they fixed the problem on September 10, 2012 but the car hasn't been out in the rain since so I'm not yet sure it is fixed. I contacted Buick customer service asking them to pay for the repair but they denied the request saying the following

"our experience has been that a defect attributable to the original manufacturing and assembly process generally makes itself apparent quite early in the life of the vehicle. After a vehicle has been in service for several years, many factors (usage, owner maintenance, age and wear, etc) can contribute to difficulties that are beyond the control of the vehicle’s manufacturer."

I am more than a little disappointed at Buick's decision since they had both a TSB and a recall on this issue (though my VIN wasn't in their list) and that a sunroof leak is obviously a design flaw unless the vehicle has been altered or wrecked. The customer service center also mentioned "debris" that could cause a blockage but there is no reference in the owners manual to cleaning the sunroof drains (nor have I ever heard of a car where sunroof drains needed cleaning).
    Does anyone know of a way to appeal / elevate a decision made by Buick Consumer Support?
    Good morning woodland22500,

If you were to send the Service Request number (71-**********) or the last 8 digits of your VIN to us at [email protected] we could check into what's been done in your case. While we may not be able to change any resolution, we will check to see if there is something we can do.

• wetbuickwetbuick Member Posts: 1
    Sarah: I am glad I came across this blog. Yes you guessed my Buick leaks too and A LOT!. I have an Enclave 2008 Custom made only 41,253 miles on it. I paid +46 K$ (Full MSRP, no discounts on it!), mater of fact I am still making payments on it. Everything was fine with it until last December. My wife noted some humidity on the passenger side but we were in Orlando on vacations, so we decided it could wait until January, But the warranty expired January the 4th .So long story short, yesterday 9/24/2012 my wife took the kids to school and when they open the DVD screen there was a steady dripping of water for almost 5 minutes out of the thing, now on the driver side also there was almost half inch of water soaking all of the carpet, not to mention the strong smell. the water seems to be leaking out of the driver airbag located on the column, it is stained around that area. VIN# 8J220363, Miami. What can I do next?
    Good morning wetbuick,

We're sorry that you've encountered this leaking concern as well. If you would like for us to look into this further, we'd be happy to do so (although we cannot guarantee anything up front). Please send us an email to [email protected] with the following information: your name and Edmunds username, phone and address, the last 8 digits of your VIN and current mileage, and the name of your involved dealership.

• rellbg09rellbg09 Member Posts: 1
    We've just encountered the same issue, purchased 8/9 with 49k, 2008 CXL. Last week, we were on vacation and parked outside for an extended period for the first time. On the ride home, we stopped and opened the trunk to get some things and there was water dripping out of the park assist/roof area just behind the 2nd sunroof. Has anyone tried to blow debris out of the sunroof tubes or is anyone having success with getting this repaired, a quick internet search shows its more than an occasional issue.
  • james252james252 Member Posts: 3
    hi, sorry to hear that. The clogged drain tubes seems to be where the service folks always want to start but it definitely had no effect for us and no one else i have heard from. The problem was the leaky sunroof itself. best of luck to you.
    we had ours fixed at a Buick dealer. they "cleaned sunroof drains and added extensions". charge was $279. I contacted Buick to ask them to pay for the repair but they refused. Not sure I will ever buy another Buick.
    Good morning rellbg09,

We're sorry that you're having difficulties with your sunroof potentially leaking on you. If you decide on working with a dealership and would like for us to check into this further, please send more details to [email protected] and we'll get a Service Request started for you (we would need your name and Edmunds username, phone and address, the last 8 of your VIN and current mileage, and the name of your preferred dealership).

• tessttesst Member Posts: 1
    My first Buick, I was so proud of. I bought it in 2010, first time we had rain, my friend and I were out shopping, got into my "oh so proud of Buick" as soon as I put it into drive, water came out of the driver and passenger side arms and leaked all over us. I was so not happy and embarrassed. As I was taking it back to the dealership, power steering started making a terrible noise. I told them about the problems and the mechanics said they have had recalls and problems with them. I should of just traded it in right then. I have had problems for the past 2 years, sometimes it would leak and sometimes it wouldn't, but you could always here the water swooshing around above you and beside you, crossing your fingers it would not leak on you or your passenger/s. Well, this past week we have had some long rainy days and my passenger and driver side floors are soaked!! I spend my evenings with the shop vac to get the water out. I am currently building a garage, so I have no choice but to leave it outside. Just called the dealership to have them look at it. I started reading all these post and I think I am going to definetly be looking for a new vehicle!! I'm not going to be embarrassed by something that I should be proud of.
    edited October 2012
    Good afternoon tesst,

As you're already planning on working with your dealership, if you had wanted for us to check into this further with them please contact us at [email protected] (include your name, Edmunds username, phone and address, the last 8 of your VIN and mileage, and the name of your dealer).

• jrinconjrincon Member Posts: 1
    My 2008 Buick Enclave began leaking this year and began pouring water right over the visor down the driver side. I now have water sloshing in the roof. My radio doesn't work while everything is wet many of my electrical components do not work either, I took it to a dealer 10/9/12, he told me the roof is design to leak and the drain tubes are clogged and need to be cleaned out and extensions need to be inserted with proper zip ties. He stated it would cost 400 to 600$$ to fix. I left and started to do research. Any helpful suggestions to eliminate this problem correctly. I have 96k have had it from the start and this is my second problem. The first was the water pump.

I have the same problem and was unable to get the dealer or Buick to pay for the repairs. What was your resolution?
  • wetdriverwetdriver Member Posts: 1
    My Enclave is sitting in my driveway with a big blue tarp over the front half of the vehicle. I had repeated problems with leakage in my first year of ownership (it's an '08), then three years of dry driving. But now all of a sudden water is coming out everywhere! Around the sunroof, running out from the garage door buttons, running down the inside of my windshield and soaking my feet under the dashboard! What's ironic is I've been considering trading it in for a 2012 Enclave, but what is it worth now? Probably less to then dealer than to me! So for now I'll keep a tarp on it, and when the rain ends it'll be a couple days of shop vac, fans, towels and anything else I can think of to dry the thing out! Believe me, the dealership might be able to fix it temporarily, but this car is going to leak!
    We're sorry that your Enclave is leaking for you, wetdriver. It looks as though you're going to be working with your dealership; if you wanted for us to check into this with them, please send us an email at [email protected] with more details (include your name and Edmunds username, phone and address, the last 8 of your VIN and mileage, and the name of your dealer).

I purchased a Buick Enclave 2009 model this month. It has leaked twice already. I had it sent back to the dealership to have it looked at and they stated that they looked at the drain tubes however they brought the car back on Thursday and it rained Sat morning and it leaked again. I called furious and sent photos and they want me to bring it back again. The dealership is 2 hours away and I cant keep this up especially when I haven't even made the first payment. I bought the 3 yr/36000 mi warranty to only find out that it doesn't cover this issue at another dealership because it is considered a maintenance issue. I am beyond frustrated! I spoke with another dealership and they asked about the date of manufacture because I brought up the 08 recall and wondered if mine was a newer 09 that may not have been corrected before they realized it. The date of mfg is 10/08. The last 8 of the vin is 9J154575. I see all of these issues and it appears that GM is helping some of those people out but I have not been contacted and feeling that I may have bought a vehicle that looks good but isn't living up to the reputation that Buick used to carry. It took alot for me to even purchase it because I do not buy American cars however this Buick won me over. Not a happy Buick owner right now!!
    Good morning amyr1216,

We would be happy to look into this situation further with you; please email us at [email protected] with more information (including your name and Edmunds username, a summary of the situation, contact information, the last 8 of your VIN and mileage, and the name of your involved dealership).

• cdkaylorcdkaylor Member Posts: 1
    Bought my 08 Enclave at the beginning of 12!! Was so excited, I love it. It is garage kept and I hardly ever drive when it's raining. Took it the other day and ran it through a car wash, and OH my water started pouring in on the passenger side through the visor and top of the windshield (it appeared) and same on driver side but also water was coming in under the dash where the emergency brake is! Called my local Buick dealer and they said I was out of warranty so it would be costly for it to be fixed!!! Anyone know what I can do to fix the problem?
  • gmcustsvcgmcustsvc Member Posts: 4,252
    cdkaylor,

We're sorry to hear about the leak you've encountered with your Enclave. If you would like for us to check into this further with you, please email us at [email protected] with more information (including your name and contact information, a summary of the situation, the last 8 digits of your VIN, and the name of your dealership).

• verysad45verysad45 Member Posts: 6
    I bought my 2008 buick enclave 1yr and 10months ago and these are the problems I've been having. My sunroof has leaked 3 times so far, the first time they said it was from me leaving it open and leaves getting in, 2nd time leaves and the manager took pictures with his cell phone, 3rd time the plugs were blocked. My carpets are soaked and my car smells real bad, my radio was replaced and is still fuzzy (thinking it may be water damaged), when windows are down the make an awful loud noise even when all 4 are down, check engine light is on, windshield wiper linkage replaced on drivers side, brake rotor and pads replaced, shifting is bad, hard gas pedal and reving when going to a higher gear, rolling back on a hill when in drive, whinning noise in the steering and idoling, was told my fluids were VERY low when my husband checked them days before and they were full, airbag warning light came on and no one under 120lbs can sit in front passenger because the light doesn't come on and once a 167lb person sat and it didn't come on then it did. I think we need to have a class action lawsuit on the 2008 buick enclave. very sad from connecticut. :lemon:
  • vettemomvettemom Member Posts: 5
    I have has this same problem until they finally fixed mine and the dealership should know how to fix it because it is a common problem with these cars. The drain tube in the sunroof shrinks and needs to be replaced. After the 3rd time it happened with mine they had to take all the carpeting and roof material and replace it from the smell of mold, which is dangerous. I would contact GM and go through their channels if the dealership does not fix it. This is definitely common with these cars.Good luck to you and I am sorry you are having this problem, it is very aggravating.
    verysad45,

We're sorry to hear that you have had so many difficulties with your Enclave. If you wanted for us to check into this further with you, please email us at [email protected] (include your name and contact information, a summary of the situation, the last 8 digits of your VIN and mileage, and the name of your involved dealership).

• tigfittigfit Member Posts: 7
    edited November 2012
    Anyone figure how to fix the noise in the steering by themselves on the Enclave ???? I have a 2002 Buick Rendezvous and once I fixed a lot of the same problems that now my 2008 Enclave has it was a Great Car (SUV)! Had to do the intake gasket job on 3.4 , Condenser on AC, BCM went out, window clips all the same problems that everyone else has that the dealers response to the problem was " never heard of that problem"! Wait until GM fixes healthcare!!!!!!!!!!!!
    tigfit,
    I hope I'm correctly understanding your post - you've done work on your Rendezvous and it's running great for you, but you're having some troubles with your Enclave?

If you would like for us to check into things with your involved dealership in regards to the concerns you're having with your Enclave, please email us at [email protected] (include your name and contact information, a summary of the situation, the last 8 digits of your VIN, and the name of your dealership).

• tigfittigfit Member Posts: 7
    No, its not under warranty any more that's why I am looking for someone that has done this repair themselves. After reading for many years the post on forums for Buick if I am going to own one I better be able to fix it myself !

Thanks !
  • am2012am2012 Member Posts: 2
    Today, it was raining inside my 2008 Enclave when I went to get inside it after a rainstorm. There was a continuous stream of water falling down from where the visor attaches to the ceiling. My steering wheel, door, seat, center console and floor were covered in water and soaked!! My husband drove it to the dealership (he said he could hear water sloshing in the ceiling while driving) and they are saying that some plugs must be blocked and it will cost $125 to fix the blockage. What the heck! Shouldn't rain stay outside the car! :cry: And what about the water damage?! :mad:

We purchased this car new in February 2008 and have had very few problems with this car. I see on this forum that others have also had this problem. If this is a known issue with Enclaves and other similar makes, then shouldn't this have been addressed during any one the the times it was in for service at the dealership (the only place it has ever been serviced)?

Does anyone have information on getting the problem repaired and damage covered by GM?
    I have a case with lemonlaw....Mine has been in the shop 3 times and it still leaks. They keep saying the plugs need to be unblocked and I have to stop keeping it open under trees. I also have the same slushing noise. :lemon:
    Good morning am2012,

We're sorry to hear about the leaking incident in your Enclave! If you would like for us to check into this further with your dealership, please contact us at [email protected] (include your name and contact information, the last 8 digits of your VIN and mileage, a brief summary of the situation, and the name of your involved dealership).

• dirtharrydirtharry Member Posts: 5
    We have a 2008 Buick Enclave that has issues. When it rains the side post on the driver sides leaks along the window down to the dash. Took to the dealer today and they fixed it for a fee.

The hatch seems to have a mind of it's own. It will open by itself at times. Only way to close it is manually. The hatch almost caused a serious accident that could of happened. I was loading the dog up and the hatch decided to close by itself with me in the way.OMG!!! Thank goodness my wife was there to stop it from closing on me. Dealer has ordered part. Have to return tomorrow to have it installed for a fee

The drive seat does not stay in the position for driver 1. Dealer has to order part. Have to return tomorrow to have it installed for a fee

By question is are there any recalls on these issues from GM? Seems like their are a owners with the same issue. Or is GM going to reimburse for the cost of fixing these issues?
    dirtyharry,

We hope all goes well tomorrow with the hatch repair! Keep us posted! If there is anything you would like for us to look into further, please email us via email at [email protected] (include your name and contact information, a brief summary of the situation, and the last 8 digits of your VIN).

I just sent the email with the info requested
    Thanks for your time
    Well an expensive repairs today 218.45
  • am2012am2012 Member Posts: 2
    Sarah,
    Can you tell me what you might be able to do to help? Are you with GM or Edmunds?

Last week when the ceiling of my car was raining, we took it right to the dealership. They took the covers of the side supports off near the windows and drained all the water out of the ceiling and supports. From what we were told, they also made the drain hole larger to allow any future water that enters to flow out. We were charged $100 and left with dark smudges on the interior cloth side support covers and near the visor. When I pointed this out to the dealership, they offered to detail the areas at a future time (detailer had left for the day.) That evening, I put the car in our garage and took out the driver's side floor and backseat floor mats. Water flowed off the mats when I balanced them on their edges. I left the windows and back hatch open all night to try and air dry the inside of the car. A week later and my driver's seat is still damp plus the interior of the car has a funky odor.

I am calling this a design flaw with the car, as I can't image that this much water should ever get in the interior when all the windows, doors, and sunroof are shut tight.
    Good morning am2012,

Have you had the leak return since the work done by the dealership? I understand that the interior is still damp as a result of the pre-repair leaking, but if the work performed did not resolve the concern that would be our first priority if and when we contacted your dealership.

We would also certainly make sure that the detailing mentioned in the post was performed to your satisfaction, all the while making sure to document your concerns with the Enclave in such a way as to be accessible to brand quality departments.

I hope this helps to clarify what we would be able to do - I do work with General Motors and again our email is [email protected].
  • spradwellsspradwells Member Posts: 1
    I bought my Enclave new in late '07. We've had the drains cleaned twice at the dealership & no one ever mentioned a recall for the sunroof leak, which I believe is the case with ours. We get leaks mainly on the passenger side coming out of the visor & the grip bar, you can hear the trapped water sloshing when you take a turn. How do i find a list of the VINS that are covered? Has Buick changed their position & fixing the problem for everyone?
    spradwells,

For more information on any open recalls on your Enclave, you can either register for "Manage My Buick", which is the Buick Owner Center, on the brand's page or you can send us the last 8 digits of your VIN via email at [email protected]

Transmission was shifting bad at alternate speeds. The RMPs were at one point at 4 in low gear. Took it to the shop. Naturally the warranty had expired November of 2012. Come to find out when the tech drove it there was no Reverse. The wave plate had to replaced. This meant a transmission repair. GM is aware of the problem and prorated the repairs Thank Goodness! There is still a clunking noise from the front end which is the struts. The service tech said no safety issue. But at a 100.00 and hour for labor which would average out to be over 300 dollars I'll just turn the radio up!!
  • oneanddoneoneanddone Member Posts: 1
    I think we've all bee had. I've never owned a GM product before, and was convinced by my salesman that Buick is the least maintained vehicle on the road. My 08 Enclave is the MOST maintained vehicle I've ever owned. My dealership told me they knew about the leaking 6 months before I bought the vehicle. Since it was a TSB, they only fix it if we complain about it...and in my case, AFTER it's ruined the electrical system, carpeting, and wiring harnesses. The stinch of a wet car is worse than that of a wet dog, but is now what I expect from GM. Their engineers clearly designed this car to leak...while their quality control/assurance team didn't do their job. Funny how our government has to bail them out, but they keep sticking it to the consumer. The most amusing part is they won't repair it because of the mileage on the vehicle...like the number of miles you traveled has something to do with the vehicle leaking. Yep, they charged me to fix it....another 7 days in the shop and they're still fixing it. I'll be glad to join any class action lawsuit started on this. As soon as it's repaired, I'll take my losses and trade it for a much better vehicle. Maybe a KIA or Hyndai??? Hmmm.....
    I have the same problem, bought a 2008 in 2010 and 6 months later it leaked...Everything you said I have. A lemonlaw layer took my claim and then told me they won't bring my case to court and GM won't help with anything. I'm still searching for a way to get compensation or fixed. My warranty just ran out so now I'm stuck with a leaky sunroof. This was my dream car and got it for my anniversary, drove many junkers and finally got my car and it stinks, leaks, brake pads go all the time, changed rotors once (1 yr after owning it), rolls when on a hill (didn't think automatics did that). Well I will keep trying and then I will post it.
    sincerely,
    crying..... :cry:
    I experienced the same thing with my 2009 Enclave. GM did agree to fix it however it took 3 visits to do. Come to find out it was leaking from a seal missing in the sunroof from mfg'ing. It was leaking from the light globe in the rear. We tried reselling the sunroof but no go.... It took a whole new sunroof kit to correct and haven't had trouble since. My advice is to keep posting and email the GM rep that is on this blog. I emailed her directly for help.