Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Seville SLS - Is this where you post???

abigmuttabigmutt Member Posts: 38
Sorry, but couldn't find subsection for either the Seville in general or the SLS in particular.

Where are these found?

Thanks.

Comments

• sls002sls002 Member Posts: 2,788
    There really is not a FWD Seville forum. This STS forum is really for the RWD STS, but some FWD STS owners have come here for help.
  • eldogeldog Member Posts: 1
    I recently bought a 1996 Seville SLS, and I am getting a lot of metal slapping sounds coming from the tops of the struts when I go over bumps. I was told that if the struts were bad I would be getting a message on the onboard computer, which I"m not. I wa also told that the struts could be bad but the sensors within them could still be good, either way it is my belief that the struts are bad because of the metal slapping sounds I am hearing and the front end bounces when going over bumps. I took the car in to my local Cadillad dealership about these issues and was told that likely the struts are bad but was told this without the car being looked at. I was told that the cost to replace the struts would be between $800.00 to $1200.00 per strut. This is way more than I can afford, so I did some checking around and found a company on E bay that sells a passive strut for $300.00 a pair, however this strut, even though compatable, does not work with the ride control computer. I also heard that there was a company in Florida that rebuilds these struts for a fraction of the cost but I can not find any information anywhere about such a company. If anyone has any ideas or advice for me or has heard of such a company in Florida or anywhere for that matter that rebuilds these struts please help me I am out of ideas. Thank you
    Your 96 SLS does have a computer controled suspension (the struts have shocks that can be adjusted automatically). They will be expensive to replace. Your Cadillac dealer was making an guess, but the age of your vehicle is such that this is a reasonable guess. These old northstar Cadillacs are not cheap to maintain.

I really don't know what your options are. The Deville forum (which is for FWD) may have people who are more helpful. You may want to consider whether the car is worth keeping.
    Some searching on the internet (google) suggests that replacement struts that bypass the computer system are available for about $250 each (or even less). They still need to be installed, so a repair shop should be consulted before ordering parts. The shop should be able to order the parts themselves.
  • carfanforevercarfanforever Member Posts: 84
    The car is worth keeping if it was purchased.

So tired of this bias against big American cars.
  • keven1969keven1969 Member Posts: 2
    my car over heats when driving but not when in natural or in park i replaced the water heater and thermostat i bought it used about a month ago started having problems with it about two weeks later fount that the water pump was leaking replaced drove it a couple days started over heating replaced thermastat still over heating run it for two hours in park no problem as soon as i drove it started to over heat put in natural and it stops gauge starts to go back down. can anybody help me
  • redapplesredapples Member Posts: 1
    Hi Everyone,
    I know my car is really old I hope someone can help me please. I want to keep my car but if not I guess it's time to let it go.
    My car lose power some times at red lights, stop signs never on the freeway what do you think this could be?
    Thanks redapples
  • lou1963lou1963 Member Posts: 4
    I AM LOOKING TO BUY A99 CAD SEVILLE 4 DR BUT ALL THE ELECTRICAL PROBLEMS, I READ ABOUT SCARE ME SHOULD I OR SHOULD I NOTT IT DAS 123000 MILES AND LOOKS VERY NICE
  • keithabeastkeithabeast Member Posts: 1
    My 1997 Seville will not start. Had it checked, there are no codes.
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    You should probably try posting in our No Start Problems discussion, since this one isn't very active.

However, when you post over there, you will need to provide more information for people to help you - such as what happens when you TRY to start it... tries to turn over, doesn't try to turn over, do dash lights come on or not... anything you can think of to give people some direction.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• pwrstrokepwrstroke Member Posts: 1
    2003 Seville sls with 74K miles. when driving service stability system light comes on.If I press on/off it goes out and does not come back on while I am driving, but will if I stop and restart.
    It comes on when I am driving, not when I start the car. I do not notice any problem when it comes on. Is this serious, how much will it cost to fix it?
  • andybear957andybear957 Member Posts: 5
    My advice: get rid of the car. I'm not kidding. I have put thousands of dollars in my 2003 STS that has only 169K KM on it. Every time I turn the key in the ignition I'm afraid of something else breaking, and to the tune of thousands more. These cars are electronic NIGHTMARES, and even though when new they were awesome (I'm sure mine was, it's gorgeous), they don't age well and they are worth next to nothing (right now about $2000-$3000 when they were close to $60,000 new).