Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

New Dodge Ram Owner questions?

stanoskistanoski Member Posts: 76
edited June 2014 in Dodge
Hi Dodge Forum,

Just picked up a 2007 Dodge Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi 3 months ago. Have been getting about 15 MPG both City and Highway combined. Truck is less than 3 months old, not sure if it gets better once broken or not. I have a few quesitons for you experienced Ram owners:

1. Just wondering what Nitrogen filled tires do?

2. Where can I find a good "larger" aftermarket drivers seat or an OEM seat from a 2500/3500 model Ram? The one in my 1500 is too narrow to be comfortable, the seats in the larger Rams are bigger and more comfortable but Dodge says they can't order me a full seat!!!

3. On that gas mileage issue, the manual says to use 89 octane. That said, try to follow my logic and see if this makes sense: 87 octane gas is $3.00 per gallon & 89 octane is $3.10 per gallon so on a 25 gallon fill up, I would spend $2.50 more per fill up with 89 than with 87. If I get 1 more mile per gallon with 89 but am spending $2.50 more per fill up, thats the same as getting 1 less MPG with 87 therefore equaling the same dollar amount per fill up. Is this logic correct? If so, seems like a wash to me and I would be spending the same amount what ever gas I choose, 87 or 89 octane?? Am I thinking correctly here or did I smell too many gas fumes while filling up today? Is 87 bad for the HEMI engine or why is the reason Dodge recommends 89? Oh by the way, a fill up today was $73.05 with 89 octane.

Thanks to all who respond.

p.s. LOVE my 2007 RAM but has anyone see the new 2009 Ram on Youtube?

This video and new 09 RAM rock!!!

http://youtube.com/watch?v=beoKW6ya1gw&feature=related

Ski in TX

Comments

• minardiminardi Member Posts: 30
    Have an '07 RAM 1500 quad cab 4x4 w/5.7 HEMI. Anyone out there tried running full synthetic motor oil in one of these engines? I'm only on my 3rd oil change and want to know if the extra cost of syn. oil will be offset by mileage improvement. Never used synthetic in any of my prev. Mopars and didn't know if mileage improvement claims were for real.
  • stanoskistanoski Member Posts: 76
    You have the same year/engine RAM I have. Just took mine in to the dealer for the 1st "free" oil change last month at 3K miles. They used conventional 5W-20W as is stated on the oil cap and the owners manual. They told me to use conventional oil for the first few changes and if I wanted to do something else after that, it was up to me but should be ok. Seems like you get a different answer from everyone you speak to about it and everyone has their favorite brand of oil too. Im going to go up to 4 to 5K for oil changes now as 3K miles is just overkill in my opinion unless you are trashing or using your RAM as a taxi or the like. My last car was a 1996 Ford Explorer and I always used Kendahl semi-synthetic oil in it and never had a problem with over 100K miles, never burned or leaked oil either and I drove the crap out of it sometimes. It had a V6 so Id have to floor it sometimes and pulling a trailer I was full throttle many times for short and long periods. I figure that semi-synthetic (half & half) will give me the best of both worlds without breaking the bank on full synthetic oil.

Ski in TX
  • dodge_guy_76dodge_guy_76 Member Posts: 2
    BEWARE!! just a warning, If you decide to go to synthetic oil you can never go back to regular oil. IT WILL MESS UP YOUR ENGINE.
  • stanoskistanoski Member Posts: 76
    Thanks but why would you want to go back?
  • oldtecholdtech Member Posts: 29
    CAN YOU POST ANY LITERATURE PERTAINING TO THIS STATEMENT? I WOULD LIKE TO SEE SOME PROOF OF THIS ON PAPER. I'VE BEEN IN AUTOMOTIVE SERVICE BUSINESS FOR 38 YEARS AND I'VE NEVER WITNESSED SUCH. I KNOW OF MANY PEOPLE INCLUDING MYSELF THAT HAVE SWITCHED SYNTHETIC AND REGULAR OILS BACK AND FORTH OVER MANY MILES AND NONE HAVE NEVER EXPERIENCED A PROBLEM. IF YOU WILL LOG ON TO MOST ANY ENGINE OIL MANUFACTURERS WEB SITES I THINK YOU WILL FIND YOUR STATEMENT IS UNFOUNDED. THERE ARE MANY PEOPLE ON THIS SITE LOOKING FOR HELPFUL INFORMATION. PLEASE TRY TO USE FACT BASED MATERIALS WHEN POSSIBLE. PLEASE EXCUSE ME FOR BEING SO HARSH BUT I HOPE YOU UNDERSTAND. THANKS.
    OLDTECH
  • schowengerdtschowengerdt Member Posts: 2
    I recently purchased a 2007 Dodge Ram Crew Cab, it has the 60/40 seats in the back, but I cannot get the bottom seat to lift up far enough to extend the cargo floor. It just stops when I pull up on them. Does anyone have any clue if I am doing something wrong, or if there is something wrong with the seats?
This discussion has been closed.