Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Rear Fog Light: A tricky subject

batman47batman47 Member Posts: 606
edited June 2014 in Mitsubishi
Rear fog lights/lamp:

The Outlander comes with a multi-purpose switch lever assembly with a first rotary switch knob and a second rotary switch knob composed with a light switch for selectively switching a plurality of switch terminals and a fog light switch (rear or front) by selectively connecting switch terminals. The US model doesn’t have, the rear fog light activation rotary switch or it is just not visible on the lever knob.

Does someone know or have some knowledge of how I can devise a procedure to trigger a rear fog light, that will light permanently when activated (by rotating a switch) when the conditions so require, e.g. heavy fog, rain or snow. Generally, US models connect the European fog light wire to the brake circuit thereby giving the US model a third brake light.

I would need to buy a new conventional European composite switch lever that is mounted on the Outlander steering column to replace the original US switch lever. What I do not know is if the US harness will allow me to do that swap. Assuming that the harness is compatible (on the belief that Mitsubishi would not manufacture two harness, one for Europe and Asia and one for the America market), can it be connected by the Mitsubishi dealer, just like that, and bingo or the dealer needs to activate the new European switch lever by connecting it to their shop computer and telling the OBC that the fog lights and switch are there?

The final results if everything goes OK is that by rotating the switch a little, the rear fog light lights, and the rear fog light icon lights in the instrumentation panel.

I have seen a number of European car manufactures with plants in the USA, BMW (e.g. MINI), VW, etc that provides dealers with rear fog light kits to be ready when a customer requires this essential safety feature.

Comments

• batman47batman47 Member Posts: 606
    The 2008 Mitsubishi Outlander ES 2.4L 4cyl CVT has an option F3 Accessory Fog Lights., which means that this car comes without front fog light/lamp in the USA at least for the above named model, however this situation does not mean that the fog light harness/wiring is not lined up inside the vehicle. It is very probable that the lights lever/knob has the front fog light icon/symbol scribbled on it (as a decoration) and only the functionality i.e. activate and deactivate has been disabled for those customer who do not require front fog lights in his/her Outlander. The F3 accessory kit allows the lever/knob on the steering wheel to activate the front fog light/lamps that come with the kit. It could also be that once the front fog lamps are physically plugged into the fog lights hollows and the connectors that come with the fog light kit connected to the fog light harness of the vehicle a small circular turn switch on the lever/knob will activate the front fog light and make it fully operative. This is a straightforward procedure for Mitsubishi that will require only elementary efforts of its technician. The MSRP for this F3 accessory is $280 plus $labour

According to the Outlander 2003 workshop it seems that there are only two switches shipped with the Outlander from Japan. A switch-1 and a switch-2. Switch-1 is composed of two switches, i.e. the front fog lamp switch and rear fog lamp switch which are in the same device. These switches are integrated in the lever/knob of the steering wheel that control the lights (i.e. dip/beam lights). The switch-2 is only rear fog lamp switch and this switch is compulsory in Europe although the front fog light is not. In other words, in Europe the front fog lamps are an option but not the rear fog light which is compulsory. In Europe if a customer wants a front fog light, the dealer just changes switch-2 for switch-1 and installs the front fog lamps kit. Switch-1 will activate the front and the rear fog lights/lamps. Because the harness for both fog lights is already there without undergoing any alteration, the procedure seems to be straightforward.

It appears to me that in the US the switch-1 harness is installed in all Outlander vehicles sold in the US with the exception of the front fog lamps assembly/kit itself. Option F3 is for the customers who wants a front fog lamps in the Outlander and it consists mainly of the front fog lights assembly/kit. Because the lever/knob set (steering wheel) of a US Outlander has not any visual information about the rear fog light (no icon/symbol); this feature (rear fog light manually operated) is purposely eliminated by disabling the rear fog light LED on the instrumentation panel and by using a modified stamp lever/knob device (no rear fog lamp icon/symbol) and the rear fog lamp wiring to the rear ‘fog’ lamps. Because the Outlander has two rear fogs lamp assemblies the harness/wiring of the rear fog lamps is connected to the brake harness/wiring and as a result the US Outlander has three braking lamps (or four).

Mitsubishi America, I think has resolved this situation by manufacturing two types of fog lamp switches as it has always been the case. One composed switch: front fog lights and rear fog lights in the same device. The second switch is only rear fog light. In Europe all cars comes with rear fog light, therefore this switch is mandatory. In the US fog lights are not mandatory, but the majority of US customers are keen to have front fog lights as an option. Mitsubishi has resolved this dilemma by installing the composed fog switch (switch-1 rear and front), in the US vehicles, deleting the rear fog light stamp/symbol from the European lever/knob, disabling the LED rear fog symbol light from the instrumentation panel, and bypassing the rear fog light wiring by activating them only when the brake pedal is depressed.

Originally I though this rear fog light is a very complicated procedure but after the analysis above everybody that will like to have a rear fog light need only to find a willing dealer to reverse the steps that have previously disabled the rear fog lights information that in my opinion all the US Outlander trims come with..
  • comem47comem47 Member Posts: 399
    I don't know about rear fog lights but I can tell you when I bought the front fog light kit for my 2007 LS it came with a new light/turn signal stalk which contains the fog light switch.
    The adding of fog lights later is doable, by the owner, but it's not simply mount them from below and plug unto an existing harness. The kit comes with a harness, a relay to be added, and you must remove the front plastic bumper to install the lights and harness properly. Mitsubishi made the light switch overly complicated IMHO, the switch is a momentary on momentary off contact that activates via the "brain" and must be programmed in. The optional do it yourself programming instructions to open and close the door 5 times while standing on your head and facing east didn't work. Going back to the dealer I got them to program it for free since the official Mitsu kit instructions don't work. In the end I saved the labor cost of having the dealer do it and got the kit cheaper on EBAY, , but I sure wish I found an Outie LS with lights already installed (XLS does, but at higher package cost than I wanted to spend).
    Many thanks for your comments.
    Your comments and procedure to install the front fog lights in your 2007 LS Outlander are paramount to the understanding of the rear fog lights layout. Mitsubishi calls it Smart Wiring System (SWS). Before I elaborate further may I ask you the following:

Did your Outlander came with a sort of stalk (I will call it LS stalk) and when you bought the front fog light kit, did the kit came with a XLS stalk? If this is ‘yes’, the Mitsubishi dealer just replaced the original “LS stalk” for the “XLS stalk” that came with the kit in addition, of course, to the harness and relay.

Another very important contribution of your comments is that the Mitsubishi dealer had to use his programmer device to instruct the On-Board-Computer (OBC) to recognize the new hardware addition in the same manner that a desktop/laptop recognizes addition of new hardware (e.g. CD/DVD player).

May I ask about the “cosmetic” differences between the LS stalk and XLS stalk? I mean the LS stalk has some symbols scribbled on it because it must function to operate the low/high front lights. When you received the XLS stalk/stem it should have symbols scribbled on it to indicate the functionality of the lights that now includes the front fog light activation switch.

If you see the Outlander rear body it has two lamps (left and right) about 10 inches below the corresponding brake lights (plus turning lights indicators, reverse lamps). Could you please depress the brake pedal and note if this action has activated one or two of these lamps (in Europe this lamp lights when the driver manually activates the stalk rear fog light switch by the steering column). If these lamps light then every time you depress the brakes the car responds by lighting the proper brake lights and one of two ‘rear fog’ lamps (Bulbs have the same watt as a brake bulb). If this happens then the European rear fog light circuit has been connected someway to the brake lines.

I am almost sure that if a European stalk multi-function switch can be bought (those that can be easily bought by the desk of a Mitsubishi dealer part department) the problem of installing a rear fog light assemblage can be done by a Mitsubishi dealer in the US. The stalk switch system, harness (i.e. harness protruding from the stalk) and relay can be ordered from Europe. The relay case and fuses in the Outlander may already have the hollows to insert relays and fuses. Mitsu dealers may provide the programmer device and the OBC wire/harness/link (if needed) to physically connect the European hardware to the OBC.

The Mitsu technician has to reverse the actions taken for neutralizing the rear fog lights and put them in the right order, i.e. disconnecting the fog light wire from the brake wiring. The OBC and the European multi-function switch will do the rest.
    The lights you mention below the regular lights only illuminate on the outside edge
    as side marker/running lights on my US LS outie. Looking through the colored lens there appears to be a spot for another bulb in the center of this light, but it is not illuminating when both my brake lights and fog lights illuminated. (the whole wraparound lens cover is red, with the outside as a marker/running light and the inside as a reflector, The center appears to have a Fresnel lens of sorts, but I see no bulb inside)

As for the steering stalk light switch. The one for fog lights has a ring the turns in one direction (momentary) to turn on the fog lights and rotates the other way (momentary) to turn them off. The stalk plugs into a connector block on the steering column (additional connections already present are used with the new stalk that contains this momentary rotating switch).

I guess I don't understand the term "rear fog lamp" as front fog lamps are mounted down low and have a wide narrow hight beam to illuminate the ground and not reflect back up into your eye or blind the driver in front, These rear lights are mounted too high and would surely not serve the same function (illuminate the ground). I can only think that they supplement the rear brake lights for visibility to cars following behind, but not really a "fog" light beam.
    imageSee more Car Pictures at CarSpace.com

The car in the photo is a LHD 2008 Outlander with two sets of lights. One set 10 inches above the other set is responsible for the brake lights, turning side lights and reverse lights). The other set is responsible for the rear fog light. The reason why these two lights are there is that European (West, East and Russia) is LHD (left hand drive) and the UK, Australia, New Zealand and Singapore are RHD. The rear fog light is compulsory in almost all countries with the exception of Canada and US. If the vehicle is LHD then the one rear fog light that must light is the left rear fog light. In RHD the rear fog light lamp must light in the right rear side of the car. Car manufacturers just build one model and adapt the circuitry to the demands of the respective countries. Rear fog light is a safety requirement which is very important when the weather is foggy, snowy, rainy, and dusty. These are the Californian regulations:
    CALIFORNIA CODES
    VEHICLE CODE
    SECTION 24602
    24602. (a) Any vehicle may be equipped with not more than two red fog tail lamps mounted on the rear which may be lighted, in addition to the required tail lamps, only when atmospheric conditions, such as fog, rain, snow, smoke, or dust, reduce the daytime or nighttimes visibility of other vehicles to less than 500 feet.
  • btsworldbtsworld Member Posts: 4
    Hi, I have a 2008 LS Outlander (Canada model - same as US I guess). I had the fog lights installed in front, so the dealer changed the switch knob next to the steering to put a new one with the front fog control. So I was wondering seme as you for the rear fog lights. So what i did is that i removed the rear light socket where the fog should be. There is the side light connector and wire but, the other hole where the rear fog light would be is sealed with a piece of plastic stick there. So i guess that if a want to light up the rear section of the fog ligts i have to check if the wires are at the back and do the job myself (install a new light ). I've also checked the fuse box, regarding the user manual, the fuse for the rear fog light is there (10Amps) but my question is; Are the cables run to the back of the truck?. I'll have to check this out some day when the weather will be more hot in Quebec cuz now, there is 20 cm of snow falling.

EnjoY.
    Hi btsworl:

A long time has passed since your post about the rear fog light when you was in the process of find out ways to activate the ‘rear’ fog light.

I have seen a post from a member from Poland here in this forum that took his 2007 Outlander XLS to Poland (this model has already front fog lights) and he said he took his car to a Mitsubishi dealership in Europe, and the technician got an instrument and he could see on the screen of this device a computer menu where it was asking to the technician what does he want to do i.e. activate or deactivate the front, rear or both?

As I said somewhere in this Forum all the harness is already in the vehicle electrical system and only it need a willing Mitsubishi technician to operate the instrument (it has a proper name) to activate the rear fog light. I have posted to ‘lukarzkur’ the polish member and I am still waiting for its reply.
  • random42random42 Member Posts: 5
    How hard is it to replace the rear fog light? One of mine cracked and I would like to replace it myself but from a cursory look I couldn't figure out how to access it. Do I need to remove the rear bumper?

Thanks
  • btsworldbtsworld Member Posts: 4
    It's pretty easy to replace, all you need to do is open the trunk, top and bottom, remove 4 plastic pins. After that there is a small plastic part to remove and one little screw. Then you're done. It takes about less than a minute.

EnjoY
    The only item you may buy in the USA is the rear fog light relay which is the same (part#: MR588567) like the front fog relay.

The rear fog light switch button (part#MR190952) can be only bought from Europe/UK. The European stalk switch (part#: 8614A061) can only be bought from Europe/UK. The rear bulb holder that includes connector wire and bulb can be bought from Europe/UK-Peugeot dealer (Bulb holder (part#621563) + bulb (part#6216F1)) or part#6350EN (rear fog light assy left) or part#6351EK (rear fog light assy right).

If you want to avoid the Peugeot dealer route then you can order the left and right rear fog light lamps assy (part#8337A014 for the right rear fog lamp assy. Make some enquires for the left rear fog light assy part#). USA side-marker lamp is sold with the rear fog cavity sealed that needs to be opened. When this hole is made the lamp will accept the rear fog bulb in addition to the side marker bulb which is already there.

All of these parts can be ordered using the services of any UK dealer. They will accept payment using your credit card. Go to:

http://www.mitsubishi-cars.co.uk/

To find dealers in the UK: Go to Dealers then Select -> SELECT COUNTY and then click any of the counties. Example: Lancashire or London. Give then a Call and give the part number. Otherwise do a Google search for internet sellers specializing in getting genuine Japanese car parts. Also you may enquire at your local Mitsubishi dealer to see if they will provide or request the part for you. My local dealer doesn’t do this service. You also can visit Mitsubishi Motor Web page in Australia
    America isn’t a rear fog light devotee. Some people even hate the use of rear fog lights especially when some irresponsible drivers switch it on when there isn’t fog or the road weather condition are not terribly bad. Under this prospect auto electrician with work experience in rear fog light installation is in short supply.

Other countries like the UK or Australia has companies or individuals announcing their trade in Web pages and auto magazines for the installing of rear fog lights. The business has shown to be profitable. The majority of Japanese trade in their cars after 3-years for new ones and individuals buy cars in Japan for export at usually one-third their original price. Cars in Japan don’t have rear fog lights and therefore there is demand for this type of job in the UK or Australia. This is not the case in the USA.
    I have already adapted the two side-marker lamps (both edges) from a 2009 Outlander XLS 4WD to accept a rear fog bulb (12V-21W) socket and respective connector, in addition to the side-marker bulb (12V-5W) already there. What I did was to order from the UK from any Peugeot dealer (they sell the 4007 model that has the same rear structure as the Outlander and indeed is the same Outlander but with a different nose and has a diesel engine) a bulb holder (part# 621563) and a fog bulb from a Mitsubishi dealer (part# MS820026). Both items can be ordered from a Mitsubishi dealer but the price is almost double the price of Peugeot. If you want to pay more you may order both side markers from a Mitsubishi dealer (the side-marker lamp is called rear fog lamps in Europe) The UK will sell you the rear right fog lamp with only a bulb but you can order from the same dealer the rear left fog lamp with the fog bulb on the left side. In Europe is compulsory to have just one rear fog light although two one at each end is also acceptable. If you opt for this approach then you need to make holes in the side where the side-marker bulbs should go. The side-marker bulb holders can then be used from those of the American model.

I took both side-marker lamp assemblies from the 2009 Outlander XLS and by using a model hobby rotary tool kit I made a hole in each lamp carefully to plug the rear fog bulb holder on it. It fixes firmly just with a little click. The rear fog bulb holder comes also with its connector which is the same connector of the side-marker bulb holder connector. There are two ways of having rear fog lights + side-marker lights in an American model:

(1)- Method 1: Run a proper graded wire from the adapted or modified rear side-marker lamp connector (rear fog bulb holder) to the instrumentation cluster; install a proper switch button (part# MR190952), a relay (part# MR588567) and fuse (10A) when required. The switch button will be operated by the driver independently. This job in addition to the items above named need to disassembly and assembly the rear bumper face to gain access to the rear bumper wiring harness. The end product of this approach is (a) - rear fog light in both ends in the rear bumper controlled by the driver and (b)- side-marker light controlled by the ETACS-ECU as was always the case. There is no need to reprogram the ETACS-ECU. Some fastener may be broken when doing the job with the rear bumper. Broken fastener must be replaced by new ones.

(2)- Method 2: This is more sophisticated method that needs more technical skill and knowledge.

(a)- First of all the rear side-marker connector which is connected to the ETACS-ECU connector must be disconnected (unplugged) and the new adapted rear fog light (already in the side-marker lamp (it will occupy the center area of the lamp)) connector will take its place. If the ETACS-ECU is not reprogrammed then the rear fog light will function as a side-marker light all the time and this is what we don’t want.

(b)- Secondly to prevent that the rear fog light from working like a side-marker light the ETACS-ECU must be reprogrammed using a European stalk switch (I have already bought one, part# 8614A061) instead of the original stalk switch (the original stalk switch may be with or without the front fog light functionality).. When this is done the rear fog bulb will light only when the driver manipulates the European stalk switch appropriately otherwise it will be always off. Under this situation the side-marker light connector is orphan. Before reprogramming a relay (part# MR588567) must be installed appropriately in the relay box and a fuse (10A) installed if required.

(c)- To make the side-marker operative it needs that the orphan connector be connected to a live wire harness like for example the license plate light wiring that is always on when the side-marker light is also on. This task implies to work with the wiring harness located to the left (corner) of the rear bumper that conducts current up to the license plate light in the tailgate. If this is done properly the side-marker light will be on when the license plate light is on and the rear fog light will be on when the driver deliberately requests this function by using the European stalk switch.

(d)- Method 2 requires to disassembly and assembly the left corner bumper and the rear bumper face to gain access to the wiring harness. Some fastener may be broken when doing this job. Broken fastener must be replaced by new ones.

Note:
    (I)- I know part (1) above works because I did it few years ago in another vehicle. I used the services of an auto electrician to do the job. I provide him with all the parts and told him what I wanted. He used his skill of soldering and identifying live wires and also identifying appropriate relay terminals for the switch button and working under the instrumentation cluster to identify power sources for the switch and relay which need the skills of a contortionist.

(II)- I haven’t done part (2) yet but I am convinced that it will work at least theoretically. I have a 2009 Outlander CD that gives a lot of information about wiring harness, location of connectors, disassembly and assembly of the rear bumper, uses of the MUT-III to reprogram the ETACS-ECU, electrical diagram for the side-marker lights and license plate lights. At the moment I am getting in touch with a local Mitsubishi dealer service department people to see if this people would like to do the job. The ideal approach to this problem could be that the dealership has an auto electrician on his staff and also that the dealership has on its staff somebody that does auto body shop work but I very much doubt this. I think that the only thing that the dealer service department could do is to manipulate the MUT-III system to reprogram the ETACS-ECU so the rear fog light may be energized by using the new stalk switch. I think doing method-2 ($200-$300) is much more expensive than method-1 ($50-$100). In other words I do not expect to tackle part (1) or part (2) on my own. Photos or video may need to wait for a few months.

I think an auto body shop could do the wiring job and disassembly and assembly the rear bumper and make the electrical connection. They are experts on mending smashed cars (panels) with broken electrical wire harnesses. They usually return the crashed car in good working conditions. They know people with auto electrical expertise.
    Are we getting a little complicated here?. First off, the side facing marker lights are US law and shouldn't be re purposed. If one wishes to add an additional rear fog light (rear facing only in the missing bulb location) you can tie into the existing front fog light circuit (adding an isolating relay for current) .It only makes sense that you have front fog lights to start with -that are actuated with the existing steering stalk that comes with the fog light package). The wiring is simple. The positive side of the relay coil goes to either of the positive supply leads of the fog lights and the other coil wire is grounded. Now run an appropriately fused wire from the battery positive to one side of the relay switch and the other side of the relay goes the length of the car to that missing bulb wire positive (wherever the missing bulb socket wire leads to ) with the other socket wire grounded. I have no idea if local state laws say if this is OK (YMMV) but personally I think it's more important that YOU have front fog lights to see where YOU are going than to make your rear more visible for someone who shouldn't be traveling that fast under these conditions. (it's a nice addition, but the onus is on the approaching car to travel within HIS visibility limits for both moving and non-moving objects).
    The rear side-marker has 3-little compartments. The outer side of the right lamp and the left lamp is where the side-mark bulbs are positioned. The middle of the lamp has a specially designed lens that is used in Europe and the UK for the rear fog bulb. Our USA Outlander has this compartment cavity sealed. All the explanation in the previous contribution is to make operative this rear fog compartment (center) without cancelling the compulsory side marker light. As explained this situation can be solved by 2-methods. Both approaches will render the side-marker bulb illuminated as usual and the rear fog bulb illuminated at the discretion of the driver by using a European stalk switch (method-2) or using a switch button near the instrumentation cluster.
    But why the European stalk? If you get the factory US fog light package you already have a fog light stalk. I suppose one could also add a switch in series to the rear to disable the rear bulb from coming on with the front fog lights for more flexibility. (I added the factory fog light kit to my LS that was not originally equipped with fogs) I purchased it from an internet Mitsubishi parts dealer and saved some $, albeit more work)
    The American stalk switch (stalk sold only with the front fog light options) has only the front fog light mechanism as well as the respective front fog light icon scribbled on it. As explained in my previous contribution the functionality of this front fog light is only possible when the ETACS-ECU is reprogrammed by a Mitsubishi dealership.

The rear fog light functionality needs either a European/UK stalk switch that will also need the ETACS-ECU reprogrammed or a button rear fog switch. The European stalk switch comes with the front fog and rear fog functionality and the front fog icon and the rear fog icon scribbled on it. The way how this stalk switch operates is usually one turn forward connects the front fog light only. Two turns forward connects the rear fog light. When this is done the vehicle has front fog and rear fog illuminated. The side-marker light will be in operation regardless of the drive’s manipulation of the fog stalk. This approach has been explained in a previous contribution. The approach is clean and doesn’t need a switch button near the instrumentation cluster.

The other approach is to use a switch button connected to a wire that will run from the rear fog socket to the instrument cluster. This switch will illuminate with the rear fog icon when operated by the driver. If the Outlander is a XLS with Xenon its switch stalk will not have the front fog light functionality and it will have only the DRL which will switch off when the xenon is activated on. This approach (switch button) will work regardless if the car has front fog or DRL.

Mitsubishi Motors has implemented since 2000 the CAN-bus network wiring that allows to transmite signal send by ETACS-ECU using the same wire to talk to different devices in the car. It is better to use the services of a Mitsubishi dealer when working with the ETACS-ECU to recognize devices.
    Well if I were to implement rear fog lights I wouldn't go through the complexity or expense of all you outlined for the added step on the light stalk. You can't get much simpler than a switch (or tie into the existing fog lights if you have them). I thought it bizarre that my fog lights needed to be "programmed", but the dealer did it for free since Mitsubishi's instructions for the user to program the factory light kit themselves by opening and closing the door when the key is activated doesn't work. Mitsubishi doesn't believe in the KISS principle I guess . (who needs to computer activate the lights when the stalk switch could have directly activated a relay?) I guess it's a way of complicating things to force you to the dealer and add one more point of failure. :confuse:
    It is up to you to choose what method to use. As I said the button switch approach is the simplest. This method doesn’t need to the ETACS-ECU to be re-programmed, there is no need to buy the European/UK stalk switch and indeed there is no need to buy the option front fog light kit ($300). The disadvantage is that this option (button switch) needs a long wire to be run under the vehicle’s carpet floor to reach the switch button and relay near the instrumentation cluster. Certainly the switch button must fix neatly into one of the dummy switch buttons in this area. This has the inconvenience that some floor carpet fasteners may be damaged or worse that the wire touches the metal structure and produces unwanted rattle. The relay dimension is about 1” x 1” x 1” and it needs to be fixed properly under the instrument cluster otherwise you will have rattles. Some wires under the instrumentation cluster have to be soldered or detached from the factory standard wire harness and it is usually never put back again as it was before.

If you buy the front fog light option from a dealership usually the dealer does the reprogramming for free as you found out. However if this is not the case it is most probable that some cost is involved to do the reprogramming.

The European/UK stalk switch well implemented will render you’re a car with European standard, i.e. stalk switch front and rear fog functionality in addition to stable side-marker lights to comply with the country regulations. Rattles are unlikely to occur. All the work will happen in the rear bumper wiring harness. The rear fog relay will be housed in the standard relay box in the engine compartment. Mitsubishi dealers most probably will charge you for this service.

It is new for us who are usually plain owners of a Mitsubishi car to keep with the advance in electronic and networking in vehicles. In the same way you are able to access and transmit your messages in Edmunds.com using a giant worldwide network the automobile industry is implementing its own controlled area network (CAN) to be used exclusively by car manufacturers. This approach has allowed car manufacturers to reduce and simplify considerably the amount of wiring (and weight) to operate all the devices in the car from electrical windows to ABS. The ETACS-ECU is the brain of this network and directs signals usually using the same wire to instruct different devices to take action. This is the main reason for reprogramming the ECU as this is the way to access this brain to tell it that a new device has been incorporated or a new functionality is required. Although this may appear bizarre, it is what our kids are going to deal with and confront in the near future.
    The rear fog relay will be housed in the standard relay box in the engine compartment

This is not true!. Checking the electrical circuit of the US Outlander the rear fog light relay is already in the ETACS-ECU box which is below the driver instrument dash (left wall).
  • rcpaxrcpax Member Posts: 580
    So, you're doing this mod?
    Hi rcpax,

Please visit: Rear fog light progress (no soldering, no cutting, and no drilling) at:

http://www.mitsubishiforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=25038&highlight=batman&pag- e=4

I spent some time reading the electrical circuit of the ETACS-ECU of the European Outlander and the ETACS-ECU of the US Outlander as well as the Tailgate Control Circuit. I found out that that there are better ways to add rear fog light and side marker functionality to the US Outlander. The solution that I will explain fully with diagram rests in plugging and unplugging connectors into the “rear bumper harness” and “rear end wiring harness”. This approach is clever. This solution came about after studying carefully the electrical circuits that control the functionally of these lights in both models (European and US).

Waiting at the moment for some part# to arrive.

I would like to have your appreciation about this contribution.
    Next week after so much time delay due to the acquisition of parts from Europe I put into action all the methodology (a feasibility project) that in my opinion will provide my Outlander GT with a side marker light as well as rear fog light, all functionalities in the same side marker lamp. The work is going to be done in an adjacent area in a Mitsubishi dealer which showed interest in backing the project by booking the car and providing his technicians to carry out the project. After that the project was disclosed the final conclusion was that the work is a “piece of cake”. However, I still feel apprehensive at the thought that my brand new car will have to have the steering wheel partially disassembled/assembled to put on the new lighting steering stalk, and subsequent computer programming. Equally the side-rear bumper has to be disassembled/assembled to disclose the wiring harness that are responsible for conducting current to the socket that will light the rear fog light bulb.

I will write here the results of this experiment and I will try to take some photos
    On Tuesday 2nd February my car was booked with the Mitsubishi dealer to initiate the installation of a rear fog light functionality in the side marker lamp according to my instructions.

After disassembling the side and rear bumper to disclose connector F-17 and inspecting male connector F-17 it was found that there were no wires to energize wires in the female connector F-17 which will be responsible of lighting the rear fog light. In conclusion the floor harness from connector C-311 in the ETACS-ECU to male connector F-17 didn’t have pin# 1 and pin# 7 wired to conduct current to the rear fog light.

It took a lot of thinking to create an approach to wave this problem. Fortunately at the end after entering the appropriate code into the MUT-III and replacing the old stalk switch with the European one the rear fog light was successfully lit just with an extra turn of the stalk switch from front fog light to rear fog light. I am very happy with the final result. My original idea of how to install a rear fog light in the Outlander by using the rear bumper harnesses layout was a great achievement
  • fushigifushigi Member Posts: 1,459
    Batman, I'm glad you ended up with a successful install. How about putting a couple of pics up on your CarSpace page? I'd like to see the fog lights in action.
    2017 Infiniti QX60 (me), 2012 Hyundai Elantra (wife)
    I took several photos which presently are in my Sony camera. After the installation of the rear fog light in California I headed to Seattle. I am now in Oregon (The Dalles). I expect to go home soon in a couple of days. I will then publish pictures of the rear side marker light lamp with and without rear fog light activated. My 2010 Outlander GT has now more than 4,500 miles.

I personally think that with the exception of the ETACS-ECU stuff, all the other things can be done by an amateur Outlander owner.

This photo shows the rear side marker ON. Rear Fog light is OFF

This photo shows the Rear Fog Light ON. The rear side marker light is also ON.
    Although the lights look a bright amber color on in the photos they are actually a very bright red.
This discussion has been closed.