Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2009 Ford Escape

desmo1desmo1 Member Posts: 26
edited March 2014 in Ford
Today I was stumbling around the Ford website and found out that the 2009 Escape will have an available 230hp 3.0 V6 and a 6-speed transmission.
YIPEEEE!!!
Go to Ford.com and on the home page you will find a window called "In the News" scroll until you find the "2009 Escape Debut in DC" dated 1-22-08.

Comments

• bdymentbdyment Member Posts: 573
    This is great news. Also a 2.5 four cylinder with decent power for regular Escapes and Hybrids. Better mileage from both engines. More sound insulation and smoother ride. Looks like a winner. On sale this summer.
  • pbstlrs1pbstlrs1 Member Posts: 4
    Directly from the site;
    The 2009 Ford Escape was unveiled at the 2008 Washington Auto Show. Sporting a 2.5-liter engine and 6-speed automatic transmission that replaces the four speed automatic transmission, the new powertrain is expected to improve the EPA estimated fuel economy by 1 mile per gallon and increase horsepower by 11% to 170 horsepower.

The new engine is also the new basis for Ford’s hybrid models, including the Ford Escape Hybrid and Mercury Mariner Hybrid. “For every eight Escape and Mariner vehicles we sell, one of them is a hybrid, and the appeal is growing,” says Sue Ciscke, Ford senior vice president, Sustainability, Environment and Safety Engineering.
  • desmo1desmo1 Member Posts: 26
    A few days ago, I was researching this and found that SYNC will be available in the 2009 Escape.
  • jkinzeljkinzel Member Posts: 735
    Is the Escape built on a car or truck frame? I’m wondering about the ride and comfort. We are getting rid of an Explorer and want to get a good comfortable riding car, but really like the convenience of an SUV.
    It is hard to get a good feel for a car just on a short test drive.
    It is built on a car frame--unit body--ride and comfort is very good for its size.
    Thank you for the information. Im going to hold out for the 2009 if I decide to go with another SUV.
  • beachdudebeachdude Member Posts: 3
    I have a 08' Escape XLT FWD with approx 730 miles. I am hearing a "squeek" front the back end of the car when braking. It seems to occur when the car has been driven for a while (warmed up). I have had it to the Dealer twice and they cannot locate the problem nor offer a repair. They have contacted "Oasis" to check for Bulletins with no resolution. I've explained to the Service Rep/Technician that it seems like when the weight of the car shifts from the front to the back as you complete the stop. The car makes the "squeek." The Technician states that he hears a noise that he feels is coming front the back Brakes. He has tightened suspension pieces. But, still the squeek. Has anyone experienced this same issue? And, have you found the fix?
  • mschmalmschmal Member Posts: 1,757
    THis car will. be worth the wait.

THere will be a new 4 cylinder engine and more HP from the 3.0L v6.

THere will be more NVH insulation.

There will be upgrades to the rear brake system. The biggest drums in its class.

Sync will be available along with Ford's next gen nav with sirius travel link.

Mark
  • bj02176bj02176 Member Posts: 115
    Lots of brake dust on my 2001 Tribute with rear drums, no brake dust on my 2005 Escape with rear discs.

Why the biggest rear drums rather than normal discs like every other manufacturer is offering. Who has rear drums anyway, so they can easily win that award. Still I could be mistaken.

Wouldn't buy a vehicle with rear drums, discs all around or just say no.
    Mark: What is the anticipated date that the 2009 Escape will be at most dealers?
    Rear Drums.
    Drums have a lower cost of maintenance then discs.

Rear brakes handle much less of the braking than the Fronts.

If a car with rear drums has good stopping performance than the disc gives no advantage.

Mark.
  • zoom_utezoom_ute Member Posts: 13
    Seems dumb to me they offer drums still...they already have the disc setup from the V6...why not use one common braking system and simplify the assembly line/parts inventory? Plus they are easier to self-service (ie pad/rotor change). As a 2006 Tribute owner with the rear drums I am pleased to read that they have improved brake initial bite for the 2009...but still think 4-wheel disc is the way to go..less fade with repeated use, better for repeated high-speed stops (on the highway), better when towing.

Otherwise the powertrain revisions are nice complements to last-years cosmetic/safety revisions. 4-cylinder power output sounds just right!
  • zoom_utezoom_ute Member Posts: 13
    Does the new 6-speed offer manual up/down control, or at least several forward gear choices? I've seen the 6-speed in the Taurus and it's got a laughable D and L position only. I really prefer 5 or 6 manual, but since they've eliminated the manual gearbox with AWD I hope they at least made the autobox somewhat controllable.
    Recently I saw a review of the 2009 Escape, can't remember the site, and the writer stated that there was only the D and L position, just like the Edge. Why does Ford continue to do this?
    I was talking to a local Ford salesman the other day and he seems to think that the 2009 Escape is going to be on the lots by the end of July or first week of August, but they will be early.

I don’t know about the rest of the country, but in Tacoma, WA most of the dealers seem to have a fair amount of 2008’s still on inventory.
    IMHO the only people who take advantage of or want manumatics are people who read forums on Edmunds.

As both a new Ford and new Nissan dealer I can tell you that no one is impressed by the manumatic feature on the Nissan sedans. In fact most of the time it just causes confusion. On a test drive the customer puts the trans in to manual mode by accident then wonders why the car drives "weird".

IMHO none of the manumatics actually provide a shift after its requested quickly enough to be anything more than a gimmick.

NOW Ford does have plans to bring the Volvo developed dual clutch trans offered in Europe to our shores. This trans will be able to shift gears in milliseconds.

VW and Audi currently offer this style trans and it is the exclusive trans in the Nissan GT-R.

Mark.
    NOW Ford does have plans to bring the Volvo developed dual clutch trans offered in Europe to our shores.

Is this the same transmission VW calls the DSG? I have test driven the Jetta TDI with this transmission and it is very nice.

Any idea what they plan to put it in?
  • kermitekstromkermitekstrom Member Posts: 2
    Had similar problem with Ford vehicle. Just soak down ALL rear suspension bushing with a spray lubricant like WD 40 or something similar. You might have to do this three or four times but it should work.
    Good luck,
    Kerm
  • beachdudebeachdude Member Posts: 3
    Thanks Kerm,

After taking the car back to Ford the 3rd time. The squeek still occurred periodically. Then, it stopped and I haven't heard it again since? Hopefully, it will continue that way. And, thanks again for the suggestion of the WD 40.
  • explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,256
    took the wife's '04 with rear drums in for the 60k service. the report was that the rear brakes were good for over 100k.
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
  • kermitekstromkermitekstrom Member Posts: 2
    Could be the Ford dealer did just that!! I also had a slight squeek from the bushings on the rear stabilizer bar. I loosened the bolts attaching the bushings to the frame and lubed them REALLY good. No problem since. Amazing what a bit of lubricant can do.
    Kerm
  • baraboodadbaraboodad Member Posts: 20
    :shades: Kayser Ford in Madison WI and the Gordie Boucher Mercury in Madison both have a few of the 2009 I4's. I drove the Mariner yesterday, and the Escape today.

They just have the single D(rive) position on the shifter for general driving. So it revs a bit pealing out into traffic, but the new 4WD 170HP I4 Escape digs in and goes much better than the 09 Subaru Forester I drove yesterday, and gets similar mileage. The Forester had the "manumatic" shift, and it WAS confusing figuring out where to put the darn thing to be in drive. (Was also too uncomfortable for me with my combination of height, bad back/neck. But other drivers of different height and necks would probably be comfortable in the Forester). I also felt that the new I4 has plenty adequate power in general, which could not be said for the 08 I4.

The 09 I4 Escape does have the L gear for snow/mud, which is all I need anyway here in Wisconsin. And it felt nice to drive in - softer ride than my 2003 Explorer, which I otherwise love. (probably needs new shocks after hauling a 5400# trailer, but a great SUV, totally reliable!)

Also, Microsoft Sync is available without having to get the GPS computer, etc, for hands-free Bluetooth cell phone and MP3 player use. (Has a USB port for the MP3 players, still.)

The power seats are very capable, adjust nicely, feel good. Good trim, and very comfortable 2nd row seats.

I bought the Escape version because Mariner doesn't come in Sport Blue. I'll pick it up in a few days. (The one I wanted was at a different dealer).

BTW - even though it's brand new, there's a $500 rebate going on!

:shades:
    Was it equiped with the 6 speed auto transmission?
    Yep - has the 6 speed. Seemed to shift very reasonably, without "hunting" like the 08's.

Unfortunately, the Escape I had made the deal for was on another lot, and we did this at 6 yesterday. When the dealer called them this AM, they had already sold it last night at the same time I thought I was buying it.... so back to ordering now, as I want some features that weren't found in dealer stock. Oh well.... :(
    This way you get what you want. Keep us up to date on how it goes.

We were looking at the Escape to replace a 1993 Explorer, but purchased an 08 Taurus Limited instead and kept the explorer for now. We have less than 200 miles on the Taurus, but really like it.
    93 Explorer - WOW

That's what I call durability. We have a 2003 Explorer, too. Best truck I've ever owned. (Used to get Dodges back when I worked on the family ranch summers).

Hopefully, Escapes will be similarly tough and loved......
    during my test drives, they were very good. Way better than the '97 Subaru I'm driving now. I think both braking and acceleration were better than the 09 Subaru Forester that I also test drove the same day, with a similar roughly 171 HP 4cyl motor.

Can't wait till the Escape we ordered comes in. (The one I thought I had bought at another dealer's lot sold the same night to someone on-site).
    Dealers are trying to figure out how to order these cars.

Ford is also having problems meeting I4 demand. The only Escapes I've been able to order for the last three weeks have been 3.0L FWD!

I have an 09 I4 on the lot and an 09 V6. I actually found that both drive very similar for every day driving situations. All the new ponies in the 3.0 appear to live north of 4,000 RPMs I assume this is where the VVT kicks in.

3.0 I'm sure will be better with more peeps and gear in the car. Most people will probably find the I4 adequate for everyday driving. It looks like the V6 will be purchased only by premium buyers.

Mark
  • explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,256
    considering the incentives on the 08 v6 models, it should be a pretty simple decision. :surprise:
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
  • lkrklkrk Member Posts: 5
    Those of you whom have bought an 09 keep the posts coming, espically any mod updates. I have my 09 V6, 4x4 limited on the boat heading over here to germany as we speak. I am hoping for it to arrive here any day.... :D
    Hopefully the power will come sooner than 4400 rpm. I will be needing it sooner than than driving on the autobahn. If anything maybe it will save me some gas. :)
    We took delivery on 20 Sept. of a Limited V6 AWD, sterling grey metallic. A brief time behind the wheel shows a few big plus items compared to our 2007 V6 Limited.
    Better safety-- stability control with roll over mitigation and side air bags. These items are the main reason we traded.
    A lot smoother ride and the interior is much quieter than the 2007.
    More upscale interior.
    The engine definitely has more power.
    Six speed automatic.
    I like the easy fuel fill system so far. No gas cap

However, like any vehicle there are some minus points compared to our 07.
    Instruments are a lot harder to read in certain lighting conditions, 07 had black on white.
    Auto gear shift quadrant does not show on the dash as in the 07
    Six speed auto only has D and L. Why no 2nd or 3rd gear pick up?
    Minor point. Glove box has no lock.

Will keep updates coming. Only 135kms. so far.
    bdyment, sounds like you have a wealth of information from behind the wheel. Glad to hear the pluses, considering i have not seen an 09 nor have i even driven an escape before. This is the first purchase of a new vehicle which i have not driven before hand. The not having a 2 or 3 gear so far does not bother me...not yet. i have been driving manuals for so long now it will be interesting to drive an automatic. How does that over drive off switch work to get some of that down hill engine braking working. I am really interested in that, with so many hills and mountains over here i am hoping to relieve the brakes some. Just looked on Autozone.com they already are listing a K&N air filter and i think a cabin air filter for the 09. I wonder if this is correct!
    i have only used the overdrive off switch twice, but it seems to work as advertised. Really holds the Escape back when going down a hill.
  • johnnyvegasjohnnyvegas Member Posts: 8
    I have never owned a Ford, heck never owned an american car (Honda/Bmw/Toyota/Lexus) but have driven several as I get a new company car every two years. I just ordered and received the 2009 Ford Escape XLT 4WD with V6 and 6 speed trans. It is charcoal gray (They call it black pearl) and has the dark charcoal interior. A co-worker has a 2006 and it was loud, bouncy and gutless. Even witht he V6. This new one is MUCH BETTER. Much more impressive. It has nice shifting, smooth power and the suspension seems much improved. I expect it will soften and get crappy as I rack up the miles, but for now, it's nice. I would never own a Ford or Chevy mainly because of the resale value and maintenance costs, compared to imports is sooooo bad, but if you like these, for now it seems a good choice, bad investment. MSRP 28950??? No way. My company paid $19850 delivered. We ordered it direct from Ford in June and it arrived 9/12. They closed the plant for 3 weeks from the 4th of July holiday. I have 1020 miles on it in 9 days of driving.
  • brinks2brinks2 Member Posts: 6
    Hey guys,

Anyone know how much dealers are taking off 2009 msrp? Can you get low IR
    and get a lot taken off msrp. Any experiences and prices paid would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.
    The current rebate on gas Escape is $1,500 go to FordDirect.com
  • derek533derek533 Member Posts: 10
    I was just delivered an 09 with the I4. This is my 3rd Escape (03, 06 and now 09). My company has its fleet agreement with Ford and I was given the choice of a fairly loaded out V6 or a completely loaded out (except nav or sunroof) I4 with leather and Sync. I chose the 4. Compared to the 06 model, this is now a car I would now consider for my family. It is so much nicer than the 06. The interior is totally different and doesn't just scream cheap. The leather seats are comfy and Sync system is incredible. The I4 sounds like any other four banger accelerating but is perfectly fine when cruising and the 6speed seems to work really well and I have yet to detect any gear hunting. The ride is quiet (compared to the 06) and controlled. The steering is heavily boosted at low speed and you can literally spin the wheel in your hands to turn and maneuver. The boost fades as the speed increases (as it should).

Overall, this is a totally different vehicle than previous generations and I could easily recommend it to someone. I was/am thoroughly impressed and will enjoy putting a few thousand miles on this one.
    It's finally arrived! Man this thing looks nice. :shades: I am loving the interior much better than what i was expecting. The seats are comfortable an the 6 speed is the smoothest i have ever driven. SYNC is initially is a little confusing but read the manual and in no time you are up and running. Power is always on point ready for passing and plenty of torque to get up those hills while the cruise is on. We had no problems driving it on these German autobahns! There seems to be an over abundance of them here now. But, being a Limited it does stand out a bit. To date the best SUV i have driven.

Question:
    Is anyone out there is thinking of getting the DVD rear headrest players from Ford? If so please let me know any details. This will be our first upgrade to ours here in the near future. i am just wondering on how they are powered? Is it through the power seat or what. Just as long as there are not any cords laying around i am good.
    On level ground does the overdrive lockout switch lockout just sixth gear or fifth and sixth? re: 2009 V6
    Usually OD lockout just locks out the highest gear and changes the shift points. I have not checked yet on level ground. Maybe this weekend. I have a question to all 09 Sync guys. Has anyone figured out or know how to change the default Sync voice volume. Maybe if i had all the windows down and was on the interstate it would be fine but i seems no matter the speed or not moving at all you have to be quick on the volume dial or you are going to blasted. i looked in the sync manual and currently have not found where it states changing it. Maybe i missed it.
    So I thought I should tell you about the 2009 Escape LTD V6 4WD we picked up 10-3-08. We drove it up to Mt. Palomar Observatory on 10-5-08. The first thing I noticed was the DELICIOUS sound it made when you got into the throttle. On the twisty roads up to the top of the mountain, it handled like a sports car; stable and composed. My wife and I were yelling and screaming at the NAV system because it is so complicated to figure out. I am confident after a short 9 to 10 months we will have it figured out.... or there will be a big hole in the touch screen!

Nonetheless, it is beautiful and powerful and got 24 mpg on it's first tank calculated with a pen and pencil so we know it was accurate. It is brilliant silver on the ext and black int.
    It does lock out 6th but also in downhill situations it downshifts another gear when you step on the brake, kind of like a tow/haul mode.
    Thanks. I thought this might be the way it works.
  • kjtg1kjtg1 Member Posts: 12
    Does the 09 Escape have traction control?
    I think it does. I was parked in a dirt/gravel parking. When I left I floored the throttle and could not sense any wheel spin, just acceleration. There is also an intersection where I have to turn right. There is always water flowing down the curb. My Focus always slips and loses traction. Not so with our 09 AWD LTD Escape.
  • vg33e powervg33e power Member Posts: 314
    I think what you are describing is your AWD system kicking in, sort of used as tracion control. Escapes do not have traction control per se, but they have RSC (Roll Stability Control) which acts sort of like a TCS (Traction Control System) in which it uses gyroscopic sensors to sense roll over or swerving motion, thus applying brake force or engine throttle to control the vehicle. True traction control is done with the AdvanceTrac system (AWD). 2WD models do not have either systems.
    Yes. I read that it monitors traction hundreds of times per second.
  • jmi1266jmi1266 Member Posts: 1
    When I have my sunroof open in my 2009 Escape the air pressure builds up much the only way to relieve it is to crack open another window. Is anyone else experiencing this problem? Is there another answer to solving this problem.
  • vg33e powervg33e power Member Posts: 314
    Do you mean that a lot of wind comes in when your sunroof is open? IF so, you may be able to minimize wind flow and buffeting by adding a wind deflector for the sunroof.
This discussion has been closed.