Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Yaris Interior and Passenger Comfort Concerns

bobokadofbobokadof Member Posts: 9
edited October 2014 in Toyota
I'm considering a Yaris in the near future.....but i havent gone to test drive one yet or anything. however, whats the front/rear leg room like in the Yaris. i'm 6'00" so would there be room for an adult to sit behind me while i'm driving without giving up any of my legrrom in the front?

Comments

• ripwilsonripwilson Member Posts: 13
    Hello, all:

I travel a lot and sleep in my car at rest areas to save money (in lieu of hotel bills).

Of primary importance to me is the seatback on the liftback model. Either driver or passenger, it doesn't matter. One of two possible configurations I need: 1) Will it recline all the way back to join the rear seat? 2) Will it fold all the way down (forward) flat, so that I can use the area from the dash to the rear liftback as a bed?

I am ready to go for the Honda Fit because it allows both configurations. In "refresh mode" as Honda calls it, the seat reclines flat to mate perfectly with the back seat to allow a decent sleeping position. In the second configuration, the passenger seatback folds forward to become flat, forming an even, constant flat plane that stretches all the way from the dash to the liftback door. Honda claims this length is 7'10", and can fit a surfboard.

This is the single most important feature to me.

Again, anybody with a liftback, can you try to configure the seats as mentioned above and let me know what you encounter? If possible, can you also stretch a tape measure from the dash to the liftback door. I cannot find this dimension anywhere.

I have tried to research the seat configurations and "sleeping" length in all the Yaris Liftback reviews but cannot find any mention of this. Dealers don't know because there are none in my area.

Flamers, please withhold any smarta**ed comments about the sleeping and desire to save money. Please, either respond with the desired info or don't respond at all.

Thanks for your help,
    Rip
  • frankiestylesfrankiestyles Member Posts: 12
    lol no flames here, i will let you k now in two weeks when mine comes in. i hadnt thought about snoozing in mine, but i guess if i could i would in certain situations. :D
  • ripwilsonripwilson Member Posts: 13
    I went online this morning with Edgar, a Toyota Yaris chat rep. He informed me I cannot fold the seat forward nor recline it back far enough so that it makes contact with the rear seat. He didn't know the exact maximum recline angle, but I can't fault him for that. That is a fairly obscure figure.

At any rate, I need to be able to snooze in the car during road breaks and at school. The good folks at Toyota didn't factor snoozing into the liftback. I don't know about the sedan.

This is surprising to me. I am returning to school in my 40s. If this car is aimed at the entry-level/youth market, surely Toyota should recognize many of these people are in university. A person might have, for example, a 9 am class and then have a few hours down time until the next class. In my case, it is too far a drive to return home and then drive back again for the next class. I'm better off just catching a few winks in my car (if my studies are current). Or it is great for those who are on the road a lot and choose to sleep at rest areas instead of hotels (lots of highway time...cruise control offered on Fit, not on Yaris). This is where the Honda Fit excels. It is clear Honda thought about this snoozing utility when they designed the Fit.

I went to the local Honda dealer this morning and test drove the base model with auto trans. It was fantastic. I ordered the sport model, only $1,000 more, for the upgrade in equipment.

The Yaris liftback with All Weather Guard and Convenience packages can be had for about $13,100. That's a great deal. The Fit Sport costs about $3,000 more, but it has many more safety features and lots more included goodies.
    The ultimate question is whether the extra $3,000 can be justified for the safety equipment and options. I think it can.

Good luck with your Yaris liftback. It is a beautiful car and will certainly develop a cult following. I am a collector, also. I have been looking at the VINs of the Yarii liftbacks that are currently in the system. The last six digits (production sequence number) on many of them are 00XXXX. This means they are within the first 10,000 produced. If you can find one with a VIN of 000XXX, it obviously means you have one that was one of the first 1,000 produced. In either case, many years down the road, if the vehicle is well-cared for, this low VIN will command a premium. Cult following + low VIN = high resale value. So you are buying at the right time.

Enjoy the Yaris. I am sure you will be pleased with it.

Rip
  • lhansonlhanson Member Posts: 268
    There appears to be only three sleeping positions in the hatchback. Front seats reclined as far back as they will go, curled up in the back seat and lieing flat on your back in the back seat. There is a slight hump in the middle of the back seat that provides back support, but your knees will be bent. Front seat reclined appears to be the most comfortable because legs can be stretched out. Seats appear to contain some type of memory foam and are very comfortable.
  • nathomas25nathomas25 Member Posts: 2
    Hey! I recently purchased a 2007 Toyota Yaris sedan. It's a nice car and is AMAZING on gas. Unfortunately, I've noticed that with only 1500 miles on my car, the AC is acting crazy. It runs fine but then sometimes, about 20 minutes after turning it on, an acrid, burning smell comes from it and I'm forced to turn it off. I have a warranty so I'm not worried about it ... I just don't know what that smell is! It smells like burning rubber and charcoal. Maybe a wire? What do you guys think? Has anyone else had this problem?

Thanks!
  • azmuseazmuse Member Posts: 1
    I am having the same problem with my Toyota Yaris that I purchased in June. A horrible smell after the ac is on for a while. It almost smells like mold, but i can't figure it out. Were you able to get it fixed? I haven't brought mine in yet.
  • jbclark2jbclark2 Member Posts: 2
    My girlfriend the other day was moving some stuff,and she scratched the plastic right next to the cup holder on the passenger side! Should i take it to the dealer and have them fix it? or is it even fixable?!
  • ray_h1ray_h1 Member Posts: 1,134
    If the car is your girlfriend's, the scratch is her problem to deal with. If it's your car, you might be able to polish the scratch out with jeweler's rouge if it's not too deep. Otherwise either live with it as is, have the dealer's parts department order up a replacement piece, or look into ordering up a faux woodgrain, brushed metal, or carbon fiber look set of self-adhesive decorative appliques custom die-cut to the shapes of the various dash, console, and door panel armrest pieces of your model car. (Most auto enthusiast magazines have advertisements in their back pages from the various suppliers of these kits.)
  • jollyreaperjollyreaper Member Posts: 9
    I have a blackberry with a solid plastic case and it rubs up against the door's plastic. If you use a moist cloth, you can usually buff the light scratches away. If it's deep, you're going to have to live with it I guess.
  • backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    It's not just height--it's inseam too, right? ;) Since everyone is different, it's best to check it out for yourself and either "sit behind yourself" (if you will have six-footers sitting behind you regularly) or bring along an adult of the size you are likely to carry in back. If you want the hatchback, be sure to check out a car with the rear seat that adjusts fore-aft.

The last time I bought a new car, I had my oldest son and a friend of his along to give the back seat a good test. It "passed" for them, so I wound up buying the car vs. a larger, more expensive car I thought I needed.
  • hotdog6hotdog6 Member Posts: 1
    I too have the same problem I am told it is mold in one of the filters smells to me like a "bad sock smell" anyway a friend told me that there is a spray the dealers have to spray on the filter to kill it the mold the smell only comes out when the setting is on recirculate if I leave it on fresh air it is ok I am going to take mine in to find out :(
  • blazhoblazho Member Posts: 1
    I have a brand new Yaris, 1.3 litters, 86 hp. However, when I turn the A/C on, the compressor makes a sound as it would 'die on me'. Also, when I accelarate, I can hear the A/C compressor changing its speed, in a pretty noisy manner. The Toyota dealer explained to me that all 1.3 litters, 86 hps Yarises produce this sound. Can anyone confirm or deny this? Thank you in advance.
  • pooreman45pooreman45 Member Posts: 1
    did anybody find out what the cause of the stinking a/c on their yaris? I've been 3 times to the dealer!
  • a_doga_dog Member Posts: 1
    I have the same issue with bad smell of AC. It smells moldy (not sweet). I have brought my car to Toyota 6 times already (I think, gotta check my records). The first few times I was there, they cleaned the ducts, said they will change the filter (but did not because at the end they said it does not have filter - Is that true?), and blamed it on me for keeping the air on recirc. I had to argue with them (basically telling them to fool someone else). Eventually one of the people there told me that there is a memo from Toyota that says some part of the air conditioner was incorrectly designed, causing moisture to accumulate and mold to build up. They called this the "AC amplifier." (What is that?) They replaced it. I was hoping it would fix the problem, but a few weeks later, the bad smell came back (not that it was ever completely gone). I brought my car to Toyota again (2 days ago) and they told me that they have cleaned the ducts again and applied air freshener (sometimes, I think that they just apply air freshener without cleaning the ducts or at least sufficiently cleaning the ducts). I also talked to the customer service manager about nemerous things, for example one of their personnel told me that my car has Puerto Rico specs instead of US specs (Can someone shed a light on this?), which freaked me out and I was trying to get to the bottom of it, but until now, I have not heard them say it definitely is of US specs (Before you ask, I bought it in Iowa and do not plan to go to Puerto Rico). Initially Toyota (corporate)could not find my VIN in their computers, which really made me very suspicious. Anyway, I talked about the lemon law as well. That guy quickly asked someone else to talk to me. Among other things that we talked about, he said he is going to call me the next day to find out more info and he did. He said that they will have to change something (the entire duct system or something - not filter) completely under the glove compartment. He also said that the Yaris does not come standard with cabin air filter, but he will glady put it on for me for free.
    Hope this helps and if someone can answer my questions (who does not work for Toyota, unless Toyota expertise is required), please fell free to do so.
    Does anyone have a problem with the body and paint of the car being easily scratched and dented?
  • ohmygoshohmygosh Member Posts: 66
    I have a 2007 red Yaris that I bought new. I recently noticed that the paint on my front bumper was beginning to peel off down to a white undercoat of some kind. This condition started several months ago with some small nicks that I thought was from stones kicking up from normal driving. When I took it to a body shop they told me that this was not a normal condition. They told me that the paint Toyota uses is very durable, and even with 'dings' it should not peel. They could not understand the white undercoat and said that it is usually black. They suggested that at some point the dealer may have installed a new bumper on this vehicle and repainted it. I am about to take it back to the dealer but would like to know if anyone else has had this problem or can offer any feedback.
  • planetiowaplanetiowa Member Posts: 2
    My long legs, which tend to splay outward, makes the Yaris uncomfortable for me. It's the liftback model. I do think that with the rear seats down and the front seats forward, I could nap back there. I'd lie at an angle, and bend my knees slightly. Getting out of the car might be challenging. It's worth a try. I once slept on an ironing board in a '63 VW Beetle.
    Wow, it took two years and five months to get a response to my last post. I guess not many people have not tried to sleep in a Yaris Hatchback.
  • greytimberwolfgreytimberwolf Member Posts: 1
    1st the he is right the yaris does not come with cabin air filter but it is equipped for it, the slot is behind the glove compartment (at least for the US market). I had the same problem my drain for the A/C was clogged and water started to drain on my rugs, that might be where your smell is coming from. Check to see if your floor is wet and hope you are not just out of warranty like i was.
  • cottonpickercottonpicker Member Posts: 1
    I think the water is coming from the air conditioning system. Maybe it's not draining properly. How do I trouble shoot this problem. Anyone have a solution. Thanks for any help.
  • Bill2009Bill2009 Member Posts: 3
    I've never seen so many multiple headlight reflections from any rear window that has horizontal defroster wires?

Do the reflections bother you? Did you comment on the reflections when you completed your Questionaire/survey to Toyota?

I understand these reflections go with all Toyota models rear windows.

The rear window reflections are my only complaint.

Personally, I would have preferred the vehicle to come with vinyl floor instead of carpets, like the old Beetles
  • dakedake Member Posts: 131
    I've never noticed it. Do you wear glasses? Some of the reflections might come from the lenses. We had all the windows tinted by the dealer though, so that might make a difference.
  • Bill2009Bill2009 Member Posts: 3
    Nope, I don't wear glasses.

The reflections occur only at night when vehicle headlights are behind me. The Salesman told me he had the same problem with his Camry.
  • renenwetetrenenwetet Member Posts: 3
    It smells because Toyota did not put in a cabin air filter nor a mesh screen behind the intake vents to prevent the leaves from entering. If you want you can call this number :1-800-331-4331 and add your compliant to case # 0906126566. This seems to be a problem with all the yaris's and they will do nothing about it until they get enough complaints.
  • renenwetetrenenwetet Member Posts: 3
    If your Yaris smells really bad when running the AC, its because Toyota did not put in a cabin air filter nor a mesh screen behind the intake vents to prevent the leaves from entering. If you want you can call this number:1-800-331-4331 and add your compliant to case # 0906126566. This seems to be a problem with all the yaris's and they will do nothing about it until they get enough complaints.

Or you can continue to pay over $70.00 bucks every time to have your Yaris's AC vents and the back up of leaves (which is causing the smell) flushed every year for the life of the car.
  • verliererverlierer Member Posts: 2
    Hello renenwetet,
    I am having a similar problem. Called Toyota, and also created a "case." (#0906130016) I told them about your previous case number above, and they said that they do not add complaints to a particular case number. They simply create a new case number for each new complaint.
    I have a 2007 yaris hatchback. I have taken the car into the dealership three times now, because the A/C drainage would clog with "leaves" and drop water into the interior of the car. Now (the third time) the A/C doesn't work at all. I've been told that I don't have a cabin air filter, which is allowing debris into the A/C evaporator. This caused the blow motor to burn out. I am also being told that this is not covered under warranty! The reason given is because the dealership is not responsible for foreign debris. I must live in an area with an abnormal amount of dust and debris in the air, they say. I live in the suburbs of Northern Virginia, it must be the sand dunes in the WalMart parking lot. :-) Again, even though I've had the same problem three times in two years, this is the first I've heard of the cabin filter.
    I hope others with this problem will raise complaints. The A/C is complete shot, over $500 in repairs, and the carpet is ruined in a car that is less than 2 years old. Then I'm told that even though the problem is that I don't have a filter (which was never installed) and that this problem is not covered under the warranty. "Its the same as when you get in a car accident, you can't expect us to pay for it, can you?" Is what I was told by the dealership...
    Funny, I don't buy that logic. (and I'll never again buy a Toy.) :lemon:
    I think that if I had the problem caused by lack of a cabin air filter on my Yaris (which I don't on my 2007 Yaris hatchback), I would probably break down, go on Ebay and spend the $15 including shipping, it would take to buy one for my car.
  • bamacarbamacar Member Posts: 749
    I think I would fight this one a while longer. If I was told that the reason for massive expensive failures was caused by lack of a cabin filter which Toyota has chosen to not install in US Yarii and is not even suggested in the owners manual, and also has been driven in a normal environment, I would elevate it to the top of Toyota if necessary. If I got no satisfaction I would hit the BBB, my state attorney general, and any of the independent auto quality companies to include JD Power and Consumer Reports.

If I was in your situation and eventually got no satisfaction, I also would never buy a Toyota again. Support the customer or become the next GM or Chrysler.
  • verliererverlierer Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for the replies!
    Yes, I definitely will be installing the filter. My owner's manual doesn't mention anything about the cabin air filter being a possible problem for the A/C. If I had known, of course I would have gotten one.
    I do plan on talking to BBB, etc about this, but to be fair, the conversation hasn't gone past my local dealership, at this time.
    Good luck and let us know how things progress.
  • frosty8frosty8 Member Posts: 4
    I am getting ready to buy 2 yaris and was wondering if I install the cabin filter if it will take care of this problem. Is this something a person can do themselves or would a Toyota service person have to install.
    Mike
  • girlcarbuildergirlcarbuilder Member Posts: 225
    Hello everyone. Thanks for the heads up on the leaf/mold problem. Been looking at the Yaris as a replacement for higher mileage fleet units. Does not matter what you buy, there are times you have to go back and redesign something. We plan to rent one for a week before buying the first one, but we count on feedback from those who have already bought.

Mold is clearly getting in from rotting stuff. Keeping leaves cleaned out from the outside vent system is the answer. If we buy, it will go to our shop immediately for screens to be made and installed. Not uncommon for those vent openings to be under sheet metal or plastic cowl vents. I have even seen them inside fender wells!

As a note, cabin air filters did not come out until recently. If you can install one, do. It is easier to replace one than to have to rip out a clogged evap core and pay someone like me a ton of money to do so!
  • tenaztenaz Member Posts: 2
    I do have the same issue with my 07 Yaris I took for the car to Northridge Toyota The third time on June 5th 2009 They want to charge me because my car is over 52,000 my warranty is up and they told would charge me to diagnostic fee for the same issue on the car has been repaired under the warranty twice.I declined,and
    I escalated to Toyota Motors They get in the same position as the dealers saying the following : The dealership determined that the failure was not a factory defect rather it is a customer related problem. Mr XX is leaving his car in a unprotected area. The drain hoses for the a/c on his Yaris are being plugged by foriegn debris causing the water to back up in the evaporator and is causing the leak into his vehicle. He was told on both occassions that this is not a warrantable issue outside influences are not covered by Toyota. On his two previous appointments the debris was cleaned out of his vehicle as a Goodwill gesture from Northridge Toyota and the Factory. He has complained to Toyota Motor Sales and Toyota has turned him down for any Warranty assistance. Mr XX Yaris is now out of the Factory Warranty.
    Knowing that I went to different Dealership : Thanks to service Advisor and his mechanic explained me the issue why it get debris inside the a/c box I understood clearly is a manufacturer issue because if you put anything in your glove compartment when you have the A/C button in circulation mode the A/C Box sucks air inside of the box causing with the time the drain plug be clogged and the fluid will leak inside the passenger side under the carpet.In order the A/C drain plug don't get clogged you can't put anything inside the glove compartment.
    This is Lemon issue affecting most of the Toyota Yaris Hatchback 07-up
    If you guys get the same issue as my self hit me up for legal referal against Toyota Motors.
    Regards
    Tenaz
    Hmmm, mold and mildew can be real problems here in the south.

Our sale is currently in a suspense mode, ink has not hit the paper yet. We did advise parts we want the complete service manual set for our shop: not that I want to do their warranty work on my car!

Hopefully they have resolved this issue for 09: I think I will inquire a lot more carefully for we close this deal.

Thanks for the heads up.
    Okay, I had some time recently to look at the new Yaris on the lot to see what I could see about this issue.

Comparing the cowl vent right below the windshield, I noticed the Yaris does not have a screen under it like the other models do. Talking to parts department, the exploded view does not indicate that it has a screen at all. That makes this car very prone to getting leaf and other trash into the a/c vent system. Also, many cars have been made this way in the past! I recall old Volkswagens to be that way.

After seeing this, I would do the following. Remove the cowl plastic vent and glue a piece of nylon screen material inside it. I suspect silicone will work as a glue. Clothes pins make nice clamps for little projects like this. Test the silicone first on the inside to make sure it will stick to the plastic. Allow it to set up for 24 hours then replace. Total repair time will be about 48 hours. 24 hours to allow testing of your glue material.

With or without that screen, I have seen many people allow trash to build up around that vent. This causes nothing but problems long term. Keep that screen/vent cleaned out. Avoid parking under shedding trees. That is tough for those of us who love trees. Otherwise, cover that vent up, install a screen whatever.

They tell me that the 09 has an optional cabin air filter available: I recommend you get one to keep junk out of the evap core that comes from the cabin area.

We all already know about the sprays that "make it smell better." But the best action here is prevention. Oh, it also pays run outside air at times to dry that evap box out.
    My 2007 Yaris hatchback comes with a slot for the cabin air filter. It is located behind the glove box. I have two on order. Paid about $20 for both of them from an Ebay store. I got the second one for my daughter's 2008 Yaris Sedan.
    Just remember that most of this problem is coming from the outside vent that does not have a screen.

Our new car is being bought 400 miles away from here. that dealer will be running the down payment shortly on plastic. As soon as the fun is done and it gets home, about the 20th, I will be looking into getting an outside screen set up for it. Will post how it comes out.

Thanks for the info on the filter price. Far cry from $24 a piece at the dealer.
  • ellenbettyellenbetty Member Posts: 7
    I had the same problem with my Ford Escort wagon. I learned to clean out the cabin air intake tunnel with a vacuum hose.

I was annoyed to learn that Toyota did not install the cabin air filter in the US version of the Toyota Yaris. I learned that the filter was missing when Lube Stop tried to check the air filter at 12,000 miles. But the Toyota Yaris air filter is not a HEPA filter. Mold spores will pass through a new Toyota Yaris air filter.

The Toyota Yaris has a better designed cabin air intake than my 1994 Ford Escort. My Ford Escort has a cabin air intake tunnel that clogged with leaves. I had to use a vacuum cleaner hose to get out the leaves. The Ford dealer had the nerve to suggest that I buy a vehicle cover to prevent leaves from getting in the cabin air intake.

The main sections of both of my 2007 Toyota Yaris 3 door liftback are covered with nylon screening. I did not notice there is secondary air intake that cannot be seen without opening the hood. That secondary air intake is without a screen. Thanks for the warning. It is a good idea to clean the area in front of the air intake of leaves that build up. It sounds like a good idea to glue a piece of nylon screening on the outside of the secondary air intake.

Since there has been zero mention of the main cabin air intake having a nylon screen, I wonder if there is a difference between those vehicles that have the Optional Winter Package in how the cabin air intake is protected? My guess is that the uncovered air intake is a back up in-case the main cabin air intake is covered with snow or ice.
    Update since purchase of our 09 Yaris. Yup, sure enough the mold problem began to show its ugly head when we first started to have several days of heavy rain here. Turns out it is not climate control issue after all.

Figured it out immediately. The problem is the floor mats are carpet! What they have for carpet is not carpet, but rather cheap fuzz. Get it wet, it grows molds! We added rubber floor mats on top of the other floor mats from Wal-Mart. They are the stiff ones with deep grooves to keep water from getting into the carpet/floor. You must take extra care to cut the mats to clear all pedals, the mat must also stay under the pedals and be very sure that each time you get in, the mat is pulled back in place to prevent it from jamming any pedals like the gas pedal. I also left the tab on top of the mat where it was stapled there so it would hit the bottom of the steering column and prevent the mat from folding up under the pedals any.

If the mat gets to a point it folds up, replace it immediately for it has become a safety hazard. Also to this point, do not use flimsy thin mats that fold up easily. If it folds at all, it can jam a gas pedal giving you a run away car. Never allow the mat to be on top of the pedals either. Use common sense on this.

There has been one fatal accident already in California with a Lexus this year with aftermarket mats. Toyota currently does not make an all season floor mat for the Yaris.
  • iluvmysephia1iluvmysephia1 Member Posts: 7,704
    who are wondering about Toyota's ECU operations. Whether it's an electronic failure of some kind going on regarding the out-of-control acceleration issue.

I would guess that it's not electronic, though Toyota needs to really slam that issue head on at it's design centers and find out if anything might be going on.

I think it's simply a bad floor matt design issue that caused this problem. That CHP Officer didn't know about the 3-second push in required on the stop-start button that would've turned off his loaner Lexus' motor. So sad. He could've also put the car's tranny in neutral.

What is being discussed is that he apparently only tried to jam the brake pedal down and couldn't get up enough leg strength to stop the out-of-control car.

2021 Kia Soul LX 6-speed stick

Car manufacters have been cutting costs for years wherever they can. Older people can recall the plush loop carpet with rubber floor mats that had hooks on the backside to hold them down. What is being made now a days is no where close to that. So how do they expect a " cheap fuzz" carpet to hold down a floor mat? They put in one big hook to hold it in place. Fine for OEM, but when someone changes that floor mat out for an aftermarket for what ever the reason, problems occur. So we can not totally blame the change, yet we demand cars not to go up in price....ooooppps I am guilty as well!

Even years ago, with the good carpet and mats, you still had to look down and shift that mat back at times. Want proof of poor maintenance habits to back this up? Walk a junk yard sometime. The number one reason for a car to be junked before its time is poor maintenance aka I don't have time to relocate the floor mat or check the tires behavior. Tire Pressure Monitors are now mandatory because of that. Guess if we have too many incidents of this, we will soon have floor mat sensors as well. We watch our lights, tires, seatbelts and mats all of the time. Simple sounding, but can get you in big trouble everytime. Does not matter who the car belongs to, you should always check it out before you drive it! Basic drivers ed from years ago.

So any way, the main thing that surprised me was the officer never thought to turn the key off! Something we were taught years ago in drivers ed. Seems the newer generation is not being taught this....but when it comes to a high strung V6 in a Japanese product being floor boarded, you have little time to think this out. Screw saving the tranny or the engine at this point, it is your life you need to save. Hit the switch and hang on to the steering wheel for power steering will be gone. Before someone asks, yes I have been there and done that! Mechanics have seen it all....most! Uncle Murphy even has a few for us! Pray as well!
  • iluvmysephia1iluvmysephia1 Member Posts: 7,704
    some simple 1-2-3 mechanics steps of stopping an out-of-control car. Push the on-off start button in for at least 3 seconds will turn it off...put the automatic gearshift in neutral and you can brke the car to a stop in no time......turn the key off, if your car is operated by a key start system, otherwise just push the on-off start button in for 3 seconds, as has already been mentioned on this post...go over these in your mind several times...you might think you're prepared but once your car is accelerating you might think otherwise. Go over the procedures to stop your car a few times, it might save your life if you're so unfortunate that one of these incidents should happen to you!

2021 Kia Soul LX 6-speed stick

• rslykrslyk Member Posts: 3
    To all 2007 Yaris owners......if your car is less than 3 years old and 36000
    miles this is a covered problem with Toyota . Go to YarisWorld.com and
    ask for help in getting a copy of the Toyota Technical Service Bulletin (TSB)
    that covers this problem....Take it to the dealer and COMPLAIN....COMPLAIN
    and when they tell you that it is not covered, whop out the TSB and complain
    It seems that they will at first try to shine you on but stand your ground
    with your TSB INHAND. Also check TSB #EG048-07 if it applies to your
    car SPEND the miniscule amount to replace part #77248-52060 and #
    77219-21010...... $25 worth of parts can avoid a $1200 failure.....its called
    "TOYOTA CARES"
    Okay, I looked at your message which is about the evap system not the a/c odor.

First, if I am not mistaken air pollution control is federally mandated to work for a certain period of time....50K miles. It may be more now. It would take a phone call to my attorney to know for sure.

Second, back to the a/c system. As I stated before in a previous post and which may not apply to your year, we found that Toyota did not supply the air filter in the a/c system. Strike one. Second strike is there is no screen in the outside air intake system. Strike two. The source we discover for the mold smell turned out to be the carpet not the a/c which is picking up the smell from the carpet. This became very apparent after the first bad rain storm. The cause is the carpet is no longer coated with a plastic backing and neither is the floor mat! Strike three!

Our answer was to carefully cut some heavy duty Wal-Mart floor mats and install. The mats are deep grooved to catch water. Good bye mold smell. But wait along comes a floor mat recall on other Toyota models! We paid attention for sure. The new carpet does not have much fiber for floor mats to hook into and stay in place. So they slip around. You need to be watchful and keep the mat pulled back. We have a standard tranny so when it gets too far forward, the clutch switch does not engage. Our signal to pull the mat back. We also have the mat cut so to hit the steering column and it was already shaped as to not interfere with the acceraltor.

A lot of common sense and careful looking at things goes a long way. Thanks on the water problem. I may start running a bit of alcohol once or twice a year since we do store ours at times. It is a 2009 3 dr hatchback. Cars are not as carefree driving as most people want them to be. That is how mechanics make their money, driver not watching under the hood!
  • tenaztenaz Member Posts: 2
    I want to answer you as far I know on your statment:

Second, back to the a/c system. As I stated before in a previous post and which may not apply to your year, we found that Toyota did not supply the air filter in the a/c system. Strike one. Second strike is there is no screen in the outside air intake system. Strike two. The source we discover for the mold smell turned out to be the carpet not the a/c which is picking up the smell from the carpet. This became very apparent after the first bad rain storm. The cause is the carpet is no longer coated with a plastic backing and neither is the floor mat! Strike three!
    I'm agree with with 2 strikes but not with the third one.
    The mold Odor came from the vents as matter fact I went to the dealer and they showed me how to clean it.After the odor went away .But later come back,as far goes with the carpet we washed and cleaned no issues with it.
    If is any further information you need let me know
    Thanks
    Tenaz
    We live in a rainy LA area. I am very sensitive to mold. Waiting to wash carpet to resolve a mold smell is not an option for me. I would have to replace it. Source in this case of water was from feet and umbrellas, so mold smell was clearly the carpet. Exactly what my nose said! It happen after a few days of rain.

I read your previous posts again, just now. Trash in the a/c system will do it also. Yup, now you have a third thing to watch in addition to what you already know! I also noted the other Toyota models had cowl vent screens, but not the Yaris prior to our purchase. This kind of info is invaluable to buyers who look first on Edmunds.

Keep me posted on how yours does long term. Just flipped 15K miles. It was your original post that put me on alert about this problem before we even bought the car! Hence we avoid parking under trees. We also keep the vents clear and have a filter in the a/c. Watch your wet umbrellas and feet.

Click on name handle to learn more about author of posts.
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,149

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• twl8ntwl8n Member Posts: 2
    I'm fairly sure that Toyota made a mistake calculating the cargo space of the Yaris. Since I'm trying to decide which car to buy, this is an issue. My brother has a Yaris hatch and he sent me the measurements.

The published cargo space is 25.7 for the Yaris and 41.9 for the Fit, but it doesn't add up. Just going on the max dimensions (which has some fallacies, but at least is roughly comparable), the two are nearly identical. Did Toyota make a mistake and no one (all the car review sites) has bothered to check?

Yaris:
    52.21 inches * 51.61 inches * 35.85 inches = 55.9 cu ft

Fit:

100 cm * 146 cm * 103 cm = 53 cu ft

Thanks!
    Tom
    I assume you are comparing Hatch to Hatch and not sedan. The clear difference comes behind the rear seats. One look and it is obvious. Actually Toyota claims 9.3 cubic feet behind the rear seats. Honda claims 20.6 cubic feet behind the rear seat.

If you are looking at Cargo space with the rear seats down then the Yaris and Fit are similar in the back seat area, but the clear difference is behind the rear seats. The Fit looks cavernous behind the rear seat and the Yaris looks tiny. The Fit is 11 inches longer overall than the Yaris Hatch and basically all of it is located in the cargo area.
  • twl8ntwl8n Member Posts: 2
    Yep, comparing hatch to hatch, rear seats down.

My question: since the L x W x H are so similar, how did Toyota come up with a cargo space that is 1/2 of the (theoretical) volume? I don't understand how Toyota got 25.7 cu ft from what is more like 50 cu ft.

Apparently Honda and Toyota use a different formula, and it makes the Yaris cargo space seem much smaller than it really is.

Has anyone checked the published 25.7 cu ft for the Yaris?

Does the Fit really have 11 inches more cargo space? An image on the Honda web site for the fit gives these numbers:

Yep, comparing hatch to hatch, rear seats down.

My question: since the L x W x H are so similar, how did Toyota come up with a cargo space that is 1/2 of the (theoretical) volume?

Apparently Honda and Toyota use a different formula, and it makes the Yaris cargo space seem much smaller than it really is.

I got these from a Honda web site:

http://www.honda.co.jp/dog/honda-car/fit/image/fit-p-004.jpg

100 cm * 146 cm * 103 cm
    39.4 in x 57.5 in x 40.5 in

It must be wrong. I guess the 146 number should be more like 176.

This page in the Edmund's Fit forum (scroll about 1/2 way down):

http://townhall-talk.edmunds.com/direct/view/.f0c37e2/5

says the long dimension is 1720 mm or 67 inches which makes the Fit quite a bit larger.

-t
This discussion has been closed.