Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2009 Audi A4

Comments

• jd25jd25 Member Posts: 43
    Does anyone know when would the FWD model be available in the US and the expected MPG rating of the model?

Thanks!
  • numero1numero1 Member Posts: 4
    Yeah, I have the 2009 Audi A4 brochure and it says ''A4 2.0T 211hp sedan front-wheel drive multitronic automatic transmission [CVT, available 2009]".

Also the EPA MPG ratings are not yet release but the rumor is that it will have 30 highway MPG.

Hope that helps :)
  • drgumsdrgums Member Posts: 51
    I am a BMW driver of 5 series for many years.

I am due for a new car in Nov 2008. I test drove the 3.2 auto new A4 and liked the feel but I only drive manuals...( they say it can be ordered...but delivery Winter 2009?) How much smaller is this car than the 5 series BMW? That is the other vehicle I am considering. The A6 doesn't come with a manual transmission .

The engine in the 535 is a turbo 3L 300hp and the A4 is 265 HP. Either car will be with a manual

Opinions? Cost comparisons?
    Performance?

Thanks
  • corystorycorystory Member Posts: 15
    I got a quote from a local Audi dealer and the saleman said he was willing to sale me the car at invoice, 2.0T quatro with premium plus package. I was surprised and wonder if i should bargain more. what do you guys think?
  • rjlaerorjlaero Member Posts: 659
    you can't get a 6 speed 3.2 - only the 2.0T.

the 2.0 turbo is more fun to drive anyway with a manual. with all the torque of the 2.0, it's not woth it to have a 3.2 manual.
    What do you think about the difference to the BMW 5 series....both the 528xi and 535xi in stick in comparison to the Audi A4 manual?

Could you comment about the size and room in the backseats>? trunk?

Thanks....

Also...cost factor to lease?
    I am considering ordering the A4 manual 2009. I test drove the automatic version.

I only drive manuals and was wondering what you thought of the car with the manual...and why "you didn't get a sense of how it operates"? I am in the NJ metro area.

I am also considering the BMW 5 series. Any observations you could give me regarding the power and feeling of the manual? Do you think it has enough HP and power? I have to find one to test drive since it seems I would have to wait for the car in the late fall/ Jan 2009 to get one.

Any observations would be helpful?

Thank you
    The A4 is competing with the 3 series and the C class, so it's really not a "fair fight" so to speak.

The big plus of the new 09 A4 is that it's the largest car in it's class. The wheelbase is stretched 6 inches and it's a far more comfortable car than last year.

You're not going to get 300 hp, but based on the new 09 2.0T's I drove, the new 2.0 is the best motor in it's class, and it outshines both BMW and MB's base V6 motors. it feels really quick of the line, and with almost 260 lb ft of torque, there's plenty of power for most people.

Audi has always made a great 6 speed gearbox, and I have no doubt with the new engine upgrades, the 6 speed will be lots 'o fun to drive.
    Thanks...I appreciate your insight.

one other thing....since you feel the Audi A4 2.0 "outshines the BMW base V6 motors"....would you also include the 528xi which has the V6 base motor ( 230 HP) as well? only the 535 has the 300hp engine.

Thanks
  • darkguydarkguy Member Posts: 8
    and when did BMW ever have a V-6 engine?
    sorry...in line 6
    After driving the 3.2 and 2.0T back to back, I personally wouldn't spend the money for the 6 cyl on the 09 model. The 6 is slighty sweeter and has a little better exhaust note. But the 09 2.0T engine is almost "too good" as the A4's base motor.

As a comparo for a base 6 cyl 5 series with a manual, I think the A4 2.0T with the 6 speed is definately worth a drive. You can deck out a 2.0 A4 with a lot of options for a lot less money.
  • hammer760hammer760 Member Posts: 15
    I just opened conversations with my local dealer here in the San Diego area and they said they were sticking close to MSRP right now...I think I can wait.
    Where are you located? I'd love to talk business with an Audi dealer who would give me invoice.
  • kikihowkikihow Member Posts: 20
    I live in Livermore (which is the San Francisco Bay Area). Your dealership is being ridiculous. I've been to 2 dealerships here, one offered me $1000 off invoice (Concord Audi) and the other $1600 (Livermore Audi). The difference between invoice and MSRP for the car package I'm getting is $2600 (the A4 2.0T with Prestige and Navigation) AND the car is being special ordered.

I think you should try going to another dealership in your area. I believe I could've gotten my car as low as $500 over invoice (the dealership very quickly agreed to $1000 over invoice).
    Wow, that's a great deal, INVOICE? I'm jealous. I got mine for $1000 over invoice (and did I mention I brought the salesmen a plate of BBQ and fried catfish?)
  • desgnconcptsdesgnconcpts Member Posts: 53
    Last Monday, I turned in my 2007 A4 2.0T Quattro Auto for a 2009 A4 2.0T Quattro Auto in the Premium Plus version. I was amazingly able to take advantage of Audi's lease pull-ahead program -- I was coming up on my next 3 payments and was able to avoid those, plus got $2,500 towards the new A4 -- plus I was able to negotiate in a nice discount off MSRP and get Audi Care included in my new lease.

I had one of the great 2 yr/30K leases -- and was able to get into the new A4 for less than $12 per month more, taking a 3 yr/36K lease withe the scheduled maintenance included. It was really a no-brainer for me.

For those of you out there with a 2007 wondering about the new A4 with 2.0 engine, everything written is true. This new version is a monster -- WAY more off-the-line pull because of the increased torque. The 6A is also better sorted out, shifts smoother and no hiccups as to what gear it is in or should be in. Ride is far nicer, still very sporty and controlled but because of the longer wheelbase, much much nicer and way more room inside for 4 plus more room in the trunk (which was big before but is even bigger now).

My 07 had the power folding mirrors (not available on any of the 2009 US A4 models AFAIK), which I really liked; I also had the winter package on the 07, which included the headlight washers -- again, apparently not available on any version of US 2009 A4's. Still have the heated front seats -- but rear seats still not avail heated.

There were a lot more "cubbies" to put stuff -- underneath each front seat on the 07 there was a drop down bin; not on the 09. The holder for the manuals that used to be under the steering column on the 07 is gone in the 09 -- forced to use the glove box for this, which is smaller than the 07 version anyway. Putting the manuals in there makes it smaller still.

There were also a few storage areas in the console/dash on the 07 that are now gone on the 09. Also gone are the front side marker lights -- but in their place is the very cool LED equipped mirrors. It appears that the turn signals on the front are LED's too, but unfortunately the rear lights are regular bulbs. The interior lighting is all regular bulb except for the foot well areas, which are all lit by LED's. Too bad they didn't use LED's for the entire interior.

Bonuses on the 2009 prem plus version, though -- things that are really nice to have:
    Memory seat/mirrors
    3 zone HVAC
    Sirius satellite radio -- I don't know how long we get this for free (3 months?)
    Bluetooth -- this feature really works great
    iPod Interface -- a REAL iPod interface that allows you to cable direct to your player and control from the MMI screen -- VERY cool
    MMI -- actually works very well with a very easy-to-read screen

Hope this helps some of you out there that might be considering what to do when you turn in your B7 version of the A4. If you have questions, I'll try to check in and answer them.

1st tank of gas returned over 24mpg -- in spite of all the idling done with the new car. I am expecting great gas mileage from this 09 and don't think I'll be disappointed in that regard at all.
  • peichenpeichen Member Posts: 4
    My A4 lease will be expired soon and would like to go for a 2009 A4 lease for another three-year. I appreciate if you could share some details about your lease terms. I am looking for the 2.0 premium plus package as well. Thanks.
    Don't know if your dealer made a mistake and ate the cost, but there was no pull-ahead program that could be applied to 09 A4's.

The 2500 and final 3 payments was for 08 A4's and not the 09's.
    I can GUARANTEE you that the dealer did NOT eat the cost, nor did they make a mistake. I have the offer letter I was sent:
    "Now through September 2, 2008 (as they told me, that was extended through September 8 -- not in another letter, but evidently in internal Audi communication to the dealer), Audi of America will pay for 3 of your remaining lease payments on your current Audi Financial Services lease when you finance or lease most new or Certified pre-owned Audi models through Audi Financial Services*."

That asterisk refers to this statement on the back of the letter:
    "* Must be available in dealer stock. The following new or Certified pre-owned models are NOT eligible for this offer: the Audi A5, S5 & R8."

NOWHERE does it say that the 2009 is NOT available -- however, the clincher here is that the "vehicle must be available in dealer stock."

That was the catch for my car -- given that Audi extended the offer by almost a week, my car came in on Saturday, 9/6 and was then part of inventory. Closed my deal on Monday, 9/8.

The offer did NOT exclude the 2009 A4, but the hook was that the car HAD to be in the dealer's inventory, that's why almost no one was able to take advantage of this offer.

Also -- one other nice thing, because this was "unplanned" I wasn't able to get my car inspected beforehand, but the dealer bought my car from Audi after I worked my deal and as a result, no worries about any up-charges or extra charges because of any scratches or scuffs.
    Premium Plus residual for 3 yrs/36K is 57%
    Add 1% to residual when you get Audi Care -- so my resid was 58% of the MSRP of 38,000, or 22,040.

Audi Care was added to lease cost cap #'s at the MSRP value of $650, so clearly they made some money on that. But I was told they had not discounted any 09's by more than a few hundred bucks -- I was able to do much better, plus got the $2,500 from Audi's pull-ahead program that went into the lease just as if I had put that money down, buying down the cost of the lease. Approx every $1,000 equates to about $30 in lease cost. So when you go up $1,000 in options, you've added about $30 to your monthly lease cost (and vice versa).

I don't think there are any other details that would help -- there is a $195 port prep fee and Audi marketing fee of about $200 added to the invoice cost.
    I live in palo alto and i got the quote from the audi dealer in palo alto. I actually got a little better quote (under invoce) from audi steven creek and i accepted that offer.
    good luck!
  • dilberticdilbertic Member Posts: 63
    I also live in SJ and just talked to the sales guy at stevens creek about the cost a new 09. I am also turning in my 2 year lease car in the next 2 months...

Let me know which model you got and options and price PLEASE, he ran the number for a Prem + and the High end one and with 2500 to 4k down we were still talking about payments of 544 prem + nav so on or the high end model with nav so on for 640.00 a month ea for 3 years.... OUCH

Thanks

Dil
    Wow! Well, since I haven't bought mine yet I could still technically negotiate. Can I ask what options you got (Premium Plus?, Prestige?, Navigation?, etc), how much the offer was (or how much below invoice) and who you spoke with at Audi Steven's Creek? I wouldn't mind getting another thousand or so off my car!
    I ordered A4 2.0T + Premium Plus + Rear Side Airbags + Wood Trim. The saleman was very nice and he even waived the $500 deposit. Hopefully he does not change his mind and cancel my order LOL. I have not negotiated my payment plan yet, will probably do 10K down payment + 48 months.
    Thanks for that fast response :) You said you negotiated under invoice... how much under invoice? Do you remember the name of your salesman? My deposit was $1000 :( If Steven's Creek is giving such a good deal perhaps I could negotiate a better price with my dealership. It'd be great if you remembered your salesman's name! Thank you so much for the info!
  • bmwx330bmwx330 Member Posts: 10
    Anyone have any issues with their A4 ??

I still have images of friends who own 2000, 2001, 2002 A4's that were nothing but trouble. Having said that, that was also 5+ years ago.

I saw one on the street and would have to concede it's a good looking car
  • djdjdjdj Member Posts: 111
    The dealer where I get my 2003 A4 1.8 FrontTrak serviced was having an introductory show today for the new A4. Nothing but A4's in the showroom and three out front for test drives.

I test drove the 2.0 sedan. I loved the way it drove, rode and handled. But in showroom, they had the Avant. Even better in person than the photos. I don't need a wagon but I think it looks great.

I didn't price shop because I'm not buying until January when my daughter gets her license and I'll let her drive the 2003.

We have 4 Audi dealers around Cleveland. Should be interesting to see if any are doing deals once the novelty has worn off. Also, I want to drive the new TL before I decide.

Has anyone else checked out the Avant? I'm not sure how much availibility there is. When I want one I'll have the flexibility to order it.
  • arapplarappl Member Posts: 2
    Anyone know what the money factor is for a 36 month lease on the A4 Prem Plus?

57% residual as stated above? I am trying to work up a deal with dealer now.
    it was $500 under invoice and the saleman name is ramon.
  • byronwalterbyronwalter Member Posts: 220
    "Anyone have any issues with their A4 ?? "

I had some really stupid issues with my first two A4's. But in August of '05 I bought number three, a 2 liter, manual, sports suspension... and chipped it at 1k miles.

Now just over three years later, the car has yet to even sqeak or rattle in the winter... just scheduled service stops (although I do 5 k oil changes). Gas mileage on trips is > 35 miles per gallon. I even manage > 31 mpg with a kayak on the roof.

Just drove the '09 Avant and it is mighty nice looking. The only thing that has stopped me from ordering one is that it is auto only. I just can't see spending $$ for a friggin' auto, even if it is a nice auto (much better than the previous auto).

Anyhow, I suspect that the quality of new Audis is now probably as good as anything built in Korea.
  • sptcpasptcpa Member Posts: 10
    Would anyone know if the A4-2009 2.0T has a rear seat safety curtain as standard equipment. The sales brochure online is vague. I do realize that a rear seat air bag is extra.
    Thanks,
    Steve
  • dilberticdilbertic Member Posts: 63
    This is the quote I got from the dealer; we are talking new lease here, but seems a bit high... 2009 A4 2.0, I also asked about the pull ahead program and was told it's only for customers that bought there car in Dec time frame....

MSRP: 43,800
    Model: 8K256l - PRESTIGE, Nav, Prem Plus, so on

2500 down, 540 a month for 36 months ( 10k ) miles a year

Sorry I didnt get the full print out of the quote

Dil
  • carsonotkcarsonotk Member Posts: 12
    Here in Los Angeles, I got my A4 with Prestige, drive select, and navigation, at $45,325, which is somewhere between 3-5% over invoice, and $1000 under MSRP. The dealer claimed that his true invoice was higher than my figures, and showed me an identical car's invoice to prove it. Probably a trick, but there was indeed a plus $700 difference on the document he showed me compared to the published invoice price.

I test drove both the 2.0 T and the 3.2, and enjoyed the acceleration on the 2.0 a lot more. The 3.2's torque doesn't kick in until about 3000 RPM and so felt a little family-car like to me. I vote for the 2.0 engine. The car's handling is amazing, just very tight. I bought white with a black interior, which looks better without wood trim. However, I saw a red with beige interior, that looked fabulous with the blonde wood.

The only thing that is disappointing on the 2.0 is that the tail pipes are both on the same side, and NOT chromed. I can't figure why they didn't chrome them. Does anyone know if you can have that done by the dealership?

Should arrive in port in mid October. Can't wait to get it, and get on a windy road.
    The paper catalogue says only that rear side air bags are an option. The dealer told me they considered the option unsafe if you have children in child seats in the back.
  • hammer760hammer760 Member Posts: 15
    Thanks for the heads up on what you paid. I'm thinking of going in and offering $500 over invoice and hoping they'll settle at $750. Looking to order a Premium Plus Avant with the 18" sports package in meteor grey (that color is sharp!). I really wish they'd offer the S-Line pkg in the Premium tiers but I guess that would take away the Prestige business.

Funny you mention the exaust not being chromed as that's one of the first things I noticed as well. I would think there will be an after market kit for the chrome tips. One nice thing about the Avant though is that the exaust is split and not on the same side.
    You can get tips in the Audi parts department for 100 bucks. I agree the 2.0 exhuast looks cheap...but it can be fixed easy with those tips
  • henrysignhenrysign Member Posts: 3
    I Couldn’t agree with you more on the exhaust pipes. I purchased an A4 2.0 here in Atlanta, and the only complaint is the exhaust. I purchased the chrome tips yesterday and installed them......I must say the back side of the car looks 10 times better.

On another note...The dealer gave me a cord for the IPOD which does not work as the one they provided was for older models....weird part is that every thing hooked up correctly, but still wont work. The dealer has ordered the correct cord but there is a 10 day wait......Anyone else have this problem?
    Hammer, I think you should hold out at $500 over invoice. A second dealer around here offered me that after I had already agreed to about $1600 over invoice and made a deposit. Bah! :confuse:
  • sptcpasptcpa Member Posts: 10
    Are we talking Edmunds web site invoice amount or the "invoice" the dealer showed you?
    My dealer is saying that their cost is $1,200 over the Edmunds amount.
    Thanks in advance
    In my case, true invoice was $616 over Edmunds invoice, so $1200 over Edmunds sounds high. Two dealers have now stated to me that they are getting charged for something above Edmunds, maybe advertising charges, which accounts for the discrepancy.

I now see I could have got the car at $500 over the dealer-quoted invoice.
    09 Ipod cables are indeed different.

Edmunds invoices aren't necessarily correct. So they can be off by a couple hundred dollars.
  • mjlewis32mjlewis32 Member Posts: 3
    Hey all,

I have an S-Line order finally in the system, but still debating two things to finalize my order. Would be great to get any thoughts.

1. Drive Select- Worth it if I'm already getting the S-Line sport suspension? Seems like the S-Line will have things automatically in 'dynamic' anyway, should I go for it to have the ability to 'smooth' it out at times?

2. I'm thinking Deep Sea Blue to be a little different, but has anyone ever actually 'seen' Monza Silver, is it unbelievably cool and should I go for that instead?

Thanks!

Mike
    I can't really pass on the Drive Select question. A lot of the reviewers loved it, but one salesman told me he couldn't tell the difference on the track and found the dynamic steering annoying. Me, I plan to get it.

On color, take a look at the deep sea blue. Amazing color, gorgeous and classy. I have not seen the Monza silver.
  • aussiem8aussiem8 Member Posts: 27
    Here are my thoughts:

1. Drive select - with a sports suspension, I don't know that drive select would actually soften the ride. It would seem to me that the comfort position would be the normal sports suspension, and the dynamic position would take the handling to another level. I previously asked my dealer to find out but he couldn't (or wouldn't). My local dealer said he couldn't believe the difference with drive select vs. without when they did their sales training test drives on a race track in Atlanta. Virtually zero understeer and no body lean. This was on a non-sport suspension model. I wouldn't get drive select with the sports suspension, but I would with the non-sport model. The sport suspension should have outstanding handling, close to the current outgoing S4.

2. I think the monza silver is stunning. Deep sea blue is nice -- seen it on the 08 A4. Also think white looks great on the S-line - really accentuates the front body and side creases.

I'm leaning to getting the 2.0 prestige, S-line, white or monza silver, and nav package. I'm a little concerned about how tolerant the 19" rims will be on normal roads given the ultra low profile tires. So I've been thinking of prestige, no S-line, with drive select to get the 18" wheels. But then you lose the paddle shifters, which I really want.

What's timing on your delivery for S-line? What pricing are you getting below MSRP? What state are you in? Appreciate any feedback.

Whatever you choose from the combinations you've listed, you'll have a great looking car.

Cheers.
  • aussiem8aussiem8 Member Posts: 27
    Though available in Europe in May, we have to wait until next fall. Great info & pictures at the Audi UK site. try this link: http://www.audi.co.uk/audi/uk/en2/new_cars/a4/s4_saloon.html

0-62mph in 5.1 seconds, which means 0-60 in probably 4.9 sec. You know they'll have some unique colors. Can't wait to drive this one. If only my lease didn't expire next month. Plus I bet the newly announced hard drive MMI will come on it (see article below).

Audi 'Unplugs' with new In-Car Technology
    Sep 5, 2008
    New Audi MMI features integral 4,000-song ‘jukebox’, full remote iPod control and HDD navigation.
    • Latest generation Multi Media Interface offers the option of a new integral 4,000-track ‘jukebox’ which can download music files via SD card and store them on hard drive
    • Combined with optional Audi Music Interface, MMI offers full iPod control via the header unit and displays full track/title information on the in-dash monitor
    • Standard DVD playback facility, optional DAB digital radio and TV reception
    • Hard drive also contains even more intricately detailed sat nav maps with new 3D ‘digital topographical’ views
    • New processors even plot 3 possible routes wherever possible, including one specifically calculated as the most economical

Audi has just broken the sound barrier with an advanced new in-car entertainment system that offers exceptionally easy and intuitive control of iPods, MP3 players and CDs, but actually doesn’t need any of them. With its new integral hard drive, the latest Audi Multi Media Interface (MMI) is capable of storing up to 4,000 tracks internally – more than enough even for long-haul trans-continental holiday journeys.

When MMI is combined with the optional Audi Music Interface, the driver can remotely control an iPod or other music storage device using the central MMI control knob with its new built-in ‘joystick’ and the four logically arranged push buttons grouped around it. Full track and title listings are displayed on the sophisticated in-dash screen, and tracks can be scrolled through and selected in much the same way as they are using the iPod itself, earning the system plenty of plaudits already for its clarity, accessibility and ease of navigation.

Features available as part of the latest system also include DAB digital radio reception, analogue and digital TV reception and DVD playback, all through the large in-dash monitor.

The new high-tech hard drive has a total capacity of 40 GB, 10GB of which is given over to the 4,000-song ‘mobile jukebox’ facility that can be loaded using SD memory cards. It also holds satellite navigation data covering the whole of Western Europe, replacing the outgoing system’s already widely acclaimed DVD-based technology.

The new hard disk dramatically enhances the already high quality mapping offered by the Audi Satellite Navigation System Plus, significantly increasing the degree of detail and offering a new 3D ‘digital topographical’ view which gives a pictorial depiction of key landmarks to add even greater ‘context’. Wherever possible it even provides a choice of three routes to a chosen destination, including one that has been specifically calculated to require the least possible consumption of fuel.

The latest generation Multi Media Interface with HDD navigation is now fitted as standard to A8 models, and will be available as an upgrade for the Audi Q7, Audi Q5, A6, A5 and A4 ranges in the near future. The Audi Music Interface enabling iPod connectivity can be added to the system at extra cost. For the optimum listening experience, the new unit can be combined in many models with speaker systems from Bang & Olufsen offering up to 1,000 watts of music power.
  • mjlewis32mjlewis32 Member Posts: 3
    I appreciate the feedback. Sounds like I can't go wrong with either color and that Drive Select may not be worth the $$ with an S-Line, but would be without it.

I've been quoted a late December delivery of my S-Line, the order did get into the system. I work for Microsoft and got a 6% off MSRP discount as a corporate rate, and there was no negotiating beyond that.

Regarding your S-Line or not, I've been torn on this as well so I think you're looking at it the right way. I could absolutely see skipping the S-Line and sport package altogether and just going Prestige with Drive Select (so you can get dynamic steering, etc. if you want it), Navigation, and probably then the wood trim (I don't like the hologram look). I nearly went this way but opted for the S-Line route when it became available. Thinking I might actually order the 18" wheels with all-season tires separately and just switching them out for winter/summer (we get some weather in the Pacific Northwest...)
  • kmelbykmelby Member Posts: 3
    Does anybody have any experience/info how the new fast shifting tiptronic compares to the old tiptronic and how will it compare to the S tronic (DSG) which we presently can't get on this model?
  • robger99robger99 Member Posts: 42
    Interested in Black/White/Brilliant Red all with black interior. Any feedback appreciated.
  • carshoppin13carshoppin13 Member Posts: 3
    Please help. Looking at the 2009 a4 premium plus pkg to lease. was given a price of $37,525. Was also given a price of $35,800 for sports pkg . can anyone tell me what i should expect for a monthly lease. 12,000 miles year, 36 month lease? Im confused and could use some help. I want to be able to walk into the dealership and be able to negotiate and get to the absolute lowest monthly lease price! THANK YOU!
    They sent me this:
    adj cap cost: $31,721.09
    initial cap cost: $31,730.69
    lease end value: $18,922.75
    residual: 55%
    msrp: $34,405
    money factor: 0.00206
    The invoice price on the Premium Plus is $37,200. I'm a bit confused about your quote for the sports package because I thought you needed to get the prestige line to get that, but I could be wrong. At minimum I'd recommend the Premium Plus though. The Premium is devoid of a lot features, including the daytime LED lights which really makes the car look great! I got the Prestige and LOVE the keyless start and Bang & Olfsen 14-speaker audio system it comes with.

In order to get the lowest lease price you'll need to get the lowest selling price. $37,525 is a good price for the Premium Plus, although I was offered invoice at Steven's Creek Audi.

You can calculate your lease payment here: http://www.leaseguide.com/calc.htm

I initially thought about leasing, but then decided to buy since it is ALWAYS cheaper to buy then lease (i.e. you'll get more money if you sell your car at the end of 3 years) and you don't have to worry about miles. I got a really good loan rate at Pentagon Federal Credit Union (4.75% for 72 months).

Hope that helped!