Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chrysler Sebring Engine Problems

2»

Comments

• kknuthkknuth Member Posts: 2
    CarDoc: I am having the same problem. Where did you get your parts from? I bought mine from an ebay seller. I don't want to tear this all apart and do it over if this isn't the problem. But like you I can't figure out any other reason that this won't start! Compression is good. Spark is there. Spraying some carb cleaner down the TB did get a stutter and backfire but thats it.
  • luis88787luis88787 Member Posts: 2
    just disconnect your camshaft senser and it will turn on with a 10 second delay but it never fails
  • kknuthkknuth Member Posts: 2
    Yes, it was due to bad parts from eBay. The timing windows on the camshaft gear were not the same as stock. Put the old gear back on and it started right up.
  • trrobbs1trrobbs1 Member Posts: 1
    Hello, I had just recently bought a 1999 Chrysler Sebring with a 2.5l V6 Mitsubishi Engine. It was working well and fine until I merged back onto the freeway from getting fuel. It then appeared to have switched a gear, or stuck. Nonetheless, the major problem arises from the white smoke blowing from the Exhaust and the Oil Intake on the engine is quite smoky when I take it off to add Oil. I have a hunch that it is a blown Head-Gasket or Oil Rings, but I'm not too sure and don't want to get ahead of myself. I simply want a remedy to my situation as I'm not mechanically-inclined myself. Pictures of under the hood can be available, and more information to help is available on request. Thank you.
  • sbirdsallsbirdsall Member Posts: 1
    edited October 2011
    i have a 99 sebring convertible that is acting up...when i press down on the gas it doesnt speed up like normal. When i go i have to press it & then let up & then press it again to get up to speed. I have replaced the gas cap because we thought thats what it was but that didnt really help. Any ideas or has anyone had this problem before?
  • axel92axel92 Member Posts: 3
    try the master fuses.or the fuel pump ,fuel filter.dose it click or make a sound
  • axel92axel92 Member Posts: 3
    yes for sheer it probably burnt an warped the valve.
  • gtwingtwin Member Posts: 1
    I bought this car three weeks ago, and drove approximately 550 miles. I paid $2750 and was told that it had been checked out and was running fine. Had some cosmetic damage and hood was dented a little, resulting in airbag deployment. The transmission slipped at 35 mph, and I could smell oil burning, so I took it to Jiffy Lube four days later. They said all of the fluid were good, and there was an oil and transmission leak. I took it to Nissan dealership to a friend, and cleaned the bottom that was encrusted in oil and transmission fluid. I went back a week later, so we could see where the leak was coming from. The oil switch was leaking, and it needed a new transmission gasket. I was also told that the airbag light was on because the airbag had deployed and was not fixed properly, and it would cost $800 to fix to get it to pass inspection. My friend was going to fix the leaks for $150 and order the parts from Chrysler. Today, I drove 40 miles, filled up $50 worth of gas, and the engine stalled at a light. Restarted and engine stalled again. It began making a clicking noise and would not turn over again. Upon inspection, all of the fluids were at good levels and clean. The new battery was charged twice and still would not start. He tried to turn the motor from the bottom and it was frozen. Now, I am out the $2750 and the car is at the shop and worth nothing. He said it could go to scrap and get $250.
    :( Owner said it was running fine and I must have driven it in a way to make the engine freeze. How do you do that? I normally drive within a small area and only drive 40 miles both ways once a week. Very disappointed. Bought a 2002 Chevy Tracker with 22,000 miles for $4000 that I could have bought before I wasted the $2750.
  • halphalp Member Posts: 1
    My 2005 Sebring 2.4L has been flawless for 75K mi. It used to be the temp guage pointed steadily to 8 o'clock. Now it's about 9:30-10, and approaches Hot at High speed and going up bridges. Fan runs almost full time. No loss of coolant at all. Firestone thinks the gasket is blown and exhaust is getting into the coolant, but wants to hear what the dealer says. I don't think I want to hear what the dealer says. if Firestone is right, can "Bars-Leaks" help a problem like this? thanks in advance.
    Hal P.
  • 93buicklesabre93buicklesabre Member Posts: 11
    edited May 2012
    Just letting you guys know I have owned my 2001 Chrysler Sebring Convertible for over a year with the 2.7L engine and when I bought it the oil light started flickering and it would come on and stay on from time to time. I replaced the oil sending unit and it still came on. I bought the car with 57k original miles on it. But I tried multiple different oil filters and I have stuck with one oil type. It stopped coming on when I used a Bosch Oil filter which is around $12-$15 dollars depending on where you buy it and I use Penzoil 5w-30 and the oil light hasnt come on in 6 months and the car hasnt made a single noise since. The car now has 73k on it and I change the oil every 3k religiously.

I honestly think this helped it. But I will keep you posted as time goes on.
  • mike_g1mike_g1 Member Posts: 1
    If it's the 2.7L six, they are prone to seizing. If the oil was not changed at the correct intervals, and a synthetic was not used, the tend to bite it around 80,000 miles.
  • shane46shane46 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2002 Chrysler sebring lxi with a 2.7l v6, the water pump keeps going on me and its not a cheap fix, the first time was close to 900, then went 3 and a half months later, the mechanic put in a rebuild so it only had a 3 month warranty, but he still helped me out and payed 600 so this time he put in a brand new one that was premium and 3 months later its gone again, was wondering what would be causing the car to keep going through water pumps?
  • jamie73jamie73 Member Posts: 1
    I have 2001 sebring with the 2.7. over the last few weeks I've been having trouble with the engine acting like it is overheating but the gauge never goes past middle. I add water when it cools and things go back to normal for a few days then does it again. now today I reved up to pass someone and it started this noisy knock!? it's like one noisy knock and a soft knock together. There are no engine lights or oil lights coming on.

7000 miles ago it had the timing chain, water pump, oil pump and all timing gears and guides replaced because the timing chain broke while driving.

That's about all I can think of to tell you.
  • TriciaTricia Member Posts: 1
    I have a chrysler sebring 2006 has battery light on cannot figure out why.Alternator been checked so has battery.Battery will not stay charged.Car has 216,000 miles on it after reading all the negatives About this car now I am surprised it has lasted this long.