Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2009 Honda Accord

Comments

• keitha3keitha3 Member Posts: 124
    Effers, here's my Accord. Unfortunately, it doesn't look at all like the real thing. Maybe it was the light, maybe the photographer. The Pearl White is not like the real thing. The chrome doesn't really shine in the pictures. Even that girl doesn't look like my daughter. At least I tried. :blush:

• bvdj84bvdj84 Member Posts: 1,724
    Its okay, it looks good to me, it is probably the most classy looking Accord. That is the color I would get, along with the chrome. I also think the red color looks classy on it as well. Very sharp! I am going to either try for this Accord next spring or get the new TSX. If I get the Accord, I will get the 4cyl, and get the navigation.
    Hey, thanks. :)

I like red cars as well. Notice, my daughter's red Fit next to mine. If I had gone with the new Mazda6, I probably would have ended up with red, although I would have wanted to see it in blue as well. With the last generation Accord (my other daughter's) to the right on the street, that makes us a three Honda family. My wife's Prius is in the garage.

As for the TSX, it is a good example of how seeing a car in person is such a different experience. I wasn't impressed with pictures of the new TSX, but when I saw one at the dealer, I thought it looked very sharp, inside and out. I was very tempted by that car.
  • efferseffers Member Posts: 25
    Looks great - thanks for posting!
  • ljgbjgljgbjg Member Posts: 374
    Honda changed the 2003 model mid production run (2003-2007) because there was a lot of criticism of the design of the rear panel - no other reason. Other than that - having owned an '81,'83,'97,'02,'04 - they NEVER change the body style once set. Perhaps rearrange the taillights like in Gen 6 - location of signal bulb versus brake, but I cannot recall any other changes.
  • elroy5elroy5 Member Posts: 3,735
    There are usually some cosmetic changes within generations. I know the 91 and 92 models had different front bumpers, and also had different wheels on EX models. The EX wheels changed again for 93. They often change more than just the lights, but it's usually just a matter of one or two different parts. I doubt much will change at all, between the 08 and 09 models. They usually wait two or three years before changing anything major. They could have come up with a different wheel for 09, but I haven't noticed it.
  • thegraduatethegraduate Member Posts: 9,731
    A mild refresh is all you'd expect to see typically, as you said. The 1996 refresh changed more than most Accords typically do. Bigger wheels for some models, new grill and fascia, new taillamps, bumper designs, etc.

• iwantoneiwantone Member Posts: 52
    Can anyone explain to me the difference in the white diamond pearl color and the taffeta white? Also would the white diamond pearl be harder to maintain than any of the other colors?
    The Pearl White is gorgeous! Worth the buy. It has a bit of metallic to the finish, like a shimmer to it. Like a "pearl". The Taffeta white is a brighter white, pure white color.

The Pearl white is the color I want in the Accord. It is very classy, but it can only be had on the V6 model.

The finish of the Pearl white is just like any other paint finish, clear coated. The white will show more dirt, but so does black. It just requires normal up keep, wash, wax. Remember minimal contact with the finish of the paint is best to keep it looking best. I believe the white or the pearl white is less likely to show any swirl marks over time than most colors.

So choosing the pearl is a good choice, and does not require any extra care, just normal.
    I wasn't in the market for a white car until I saw the pearl white. It had a rich,creamy, very luxuriant quality to its appearance. Made me really like, actually love, that color and it became my color of choice on the Accord. As for upkeep, it hasn't represented any special problems yet. We did have some rain recently and the soot from the street showed up more, but I just rinsed it off and it was ready to go.
  • paeataapaeataa Member Posts: 12
    I wish I had the pearl white too, but my car is LX-P. So, I can only get the normal white one which is still good for me :D
  • ashwinkumar96ashwinkumar96 Member Posts: 21
    I am planning to purchase a new car and I am sort of confused either to choose camry or accord. Both have got the same features , price etc. I am looking at Accord EX Vs Camry SE. I have heard that seats in Accord are very uncomfortable, how far is it true? Is it very very uncomfortable. Also comapring the HP, its 155 for camry Vs 192 for Accord. I am planning to add in the package which includes moonroof etc in camry and inspite of that the price comes almost the same. Kindly help me in arriving at a decision.
    I have heard that seats in Accord are very uncomfortable, how far is it true? Is it very very uncomfortable.

The only way to get an answer for that is to sit in them. Different body types will find different types of seats more comfortable.

Also comapring the HP, its 155 for camry Vs 192 for Accord.

Power numbers look like this, for Camry and Accord. More important than horsepower (which comes more into play at high-rpm highway passing) is the torque rating, which is what gets you moving from a stop light and up a hill without having to downshift too much.

Camry

Horsepower 158 @ 6000 RPM
    Torque Lb-Ft 161 @ 4000 RPM

Accord

Horsepower 190 @ 7000 RPM
    Torque Lb-Ft 162 @ 4400 RPM

What you should note is that while the Accord makes more peak horsepower, it does so at 7000 RPM (higher than you'll ever see in normal driving or even in moderate passing situations). The torque numbers are also essentially a tie, except I'd probably give the nod to the Camry in this regard, because it is available at a lower RPM.

If you're worried about power in one versus another, don't be. The Accord will feel quicker off the line simply because of how the throttle is tuned. When it comes down to actual acceleration, though, the differences between the two are very small.

As far as making a decision, I have the best advice for you: go drive them both and decide for yourself which is the best option for you. The Camry is softer riding, and the Accord is sportier handling. Which is for you?

Go to the dealer, grab some keys, and find out! :D

Hope this helps, and best of luck shopping.

TheGraduate :shades:

P.S.: I hope you'll check out the Honda Accord vs. Toyota Camry Discussion Board by clicking here. Many of the questions you have about these two vehicles and how they compare may already have been asked and answered in this forum.
  • miltiadesmiltiades Member Posts: 16
    Am pleased with the 2008 Accord LX - after spending many hours carefully on the internet doing research on the cars in this range and in test drives. Only annoyance is not the seats, but a glove compartment that rattles. Solid, intuitive, reliable vehicle. Be careful with dealers in their prices quoted and last minute inclusion of other costs.
    Don't have a problem with my new Accord's glove compartment rattling (knock on wood), but did have this issue with my 03. I'm very sensitive to this kind of distraction and found that if I gave a very solid push with my hand on the right third of the glove compartment door, the rattling stopped. You might give it a try. It would come back when I absentmindedly would shut it toward the left side on occasion, but would again go away when I shut it the other way.

I don't know what it was, but I took it in for its 30,000 mile maintenance with an independent mechanic with a wonderful reputation who only works on Honda's and Acura's, I was amazed that the problem was gone when I got it back. I noticed at the first stop sign when I put the receipt in the glove compartment and it suddenly had a solid feel. I never asked him to fix it, but I'm thinking he did something.

Oh, and, to the OP, I don't find the Accord seats uncomfortable, although many do find them too hard and the lumbar support too intruding. When you test drive, see if your model has a lumbar support adjuster and see if you can get it to suit your liking. Seating is a very personal thing, so try and arrange for a long enough test drive to assess it as accurately as possible.

As for the Accord/Camry debate, I've owned and liked both. As Graduate said, they are different in their own ways, the Camry offering a more isolated ride and the Accord more road feel. The only thing I'd note is that I did like the interior quality of the Accord better, but others hate the myriad of buttons and controls for the stereo and air conditioning.

Both fine cars, just see which shoe fits you better.

Also, consider the many other fine options in the very competitive family sedan arena these days.
  • soplushsoplush Member Posts: 29
    I just brought home an '09 EX-L. Fear I made the worst car mistake of my life. It bounced and bumped all the way home on the highway (roughly 12 mi) from the dealership like the Nissan Altima coupe I turned down. Guess the took me on a smooth stretch of road for the test drive. Unless I'm missing some miracle cure, I'm ready to take this back on Monday first thing.
  • gooddeal2gooddeal2 Member Posts: 750
    I just brought home an '09 EX-L. Fear I made the worst car mistake of my life. It bounced and bumped all the way home on the highway (roughly 12 mi) from the dealership like the Nissan Altima coupe I turned down.

I'm not sure about the Accord coupe but I used to drive my friend '08 Accord and I think the Altima is a little smoother....but may be b/c of the road.
    You will get used to it! you will. Honda has always had a more solid ride, and the coupe is probably even more solid. This is one of the reasons I love it so much. It feels solid. Not saying I appreciate the noise as much, but it atleast keeps you more in touch with the road. The Acura line is really stiff as well.

I guess it is all from where you had driven before. I personally like it. You will get used to it. It is just a new car, your overly sensitive to all its surroundings. I was the same way, reading into every noise, nook, cranny.

You did not screw up...lol don't worry. If you honestly cannot get past it, you can always sell it. But, I doubt you won't like the car. Other people have said the same thing, all cars have their own ride quality, it takes some getting used to. It really does, otherwise you think something is wrong with the car. :)
    I test drove both camry and accord yesterday. I am still in a confused state. I test drove the Accord last week, and when I did the lumbar support was completely inflated. I found it uncomfortable after my drive. the dealer told it was completely inflated and if you deflate it it will be fine. When I test drove yesterday I deflated it completely but still that thing was consciously in mind. I felt the same when I test drove the camry. The toyota dealer said if I need it removed, he can make a special order without any extra cost but the Honda dealer said he will not be able to do it. And regarding the noise, heard that Ex and higher models has Active Noise Cancellation, if that is the case then I dont think so noise it will be a big problem. I am still confused between the two: I am so impressed with the stlye and design of the Accord, which confuses me as to which one I should go with.
  • ohblueohblue Member Posts: 39
    "I have heard that seats in Accord are very uncomfortable..."

I thought the exact same thing when I test drove the Accord. The lumbar support hurt my back; it did not flatten out enough for me. The Mazda6 was much more comfortable for me.
    Yes, thats is what I felt too, but felt the same with camry and some of my friends who have an Accord said , its all the same. Of course he seats are hard in Accord, but heard that was the case for all the editions of Accord fromm 2000. Any comments and suggestions ?
  • djkcpadjkcpa Member Posts: 4
    I'm thinking of buying an 09 Accord EX and want a black interior. I don't want the black exterior and not sure I want the silver. Has anyone seen the Mystic Green Metallic or own one?? I saw the picture in the brochure but it is hard to tell what it actually looks like. The Tea Green on the CRV I don't like. Any help would be appreciated. I like the red exterior but that would mean the ivory interior, I think.

Thanks in advance!!
    Personally, the firm seats in my Accord are quite comfortable for my frame. Squishy seats can often lack support where you need it and leave you aching a few hours into a trip.

Seat shape is subjective from person to person, but firmness is a quality I like for the support; the Europeans (BMW, M-B, Audi, VW) learned it a long time ago!
    I like the mystic green, very classy, different.
    True, I don't mind the hard seats, my only concern as such was the lumbar support hitting a bit hard even when it is completely deflated!! Is that comon with all cars? or all accordS?

Let me know
    Several people have commented on the lumbar being a bit pronounced in the Accord, even when completely disengaged.

Trying it for yourself is the only way to know if it suits you well.
    "In Accords" , here you mean all the Accords or just the 09 and 08's?

The reason I am asking you is that this is the first time I drove an accord :-)
    Yes, the 2008 Accord redesign brought a new seat design versus the 2007 and earlier models.
    Does Accord COUpe 08 and 09 have bucket seats?
  • tallman1tallman1 Member Posts: 1,874
    All Accords have bucket seats.

Okay, history buffs.... was there ever an Accord with a bench seat??? :shades:
  • tankbeanstankbeans Member Posts: 585
    If you're talking about the backseats, then yes. ;)

But up front no.
  • dpmeersmandpmeersman Member Posts: 275
    I've received nothing but compliments on my Mystic Metallic Green 08 EX-L V6. I never thought I would own a green car. This shade of green appears at times more grey in certain lighting situations. Most agree it's very rich looking.
  • tallman1tallman1 Member Posts: 1,874
    heh-heh... funny boy. :sick:
  • gordongjgordongj Member Posts: 23
    I have owned Honda Accord for the past 20 years. Loved them all - until I saw the 2008 model. As much as I tried to like it, I couldn't! Looks a bit like a Saturn, or many other domeastic models, so I bought a Lexus. Hopefully in 4 years time, when they bring out the next model, I will buy another Accord.
  • sean35sean35 Member Posts: 6
    I think the Camry is much better than the Acoord. It is quick, luxurious, and cheap, while still having good looks and great MPG. There is even a hybrid, which is great. The Accord is more sporty, and there is no hybrid, good looks, or really much of anything
  • elroy5elroy5 Member Posts: 3,735
    The Camry is a marshmallow on wheels. Look at a white sedan, and tell me that's not a marshmallow. Looks like one, drives like one too.
  • nursenicknursenick Member Posts: 1
    I test drove one in Hemet Ca in that color. The interior was black and overall it was a nice car. The exterior and interior go together well. It kind of makes the car look like a business class car instead of something sporty so my wife and I went with the black with black interior. The color is nice but not my kind of color on a car. Hope this helps.
    That's why there are different cars for different folk.

I seriously would not consider the current Camry. If I hadn't bought the Accord, I would have gotten a TL or the new Mazda6 or the Hyundai Azera or the Altima Hybrid or several other cars, but I just don't like the Camry styling, inside or out.

I'm not putting down Camry buyers, but, to me, the Accord is the better car. I also feel that they have taken a step backwards on the interior quality, fit and finish. I was just being driven in one today and it is not a car for me, but I'm glad you enjoy yours. For the record, I've owned both a Camry and Accord prior to my new purchase.
    Regarding the subject line and subject matter of this post... we have a discussion devoted to Toyota Camry vs. Honda Accord. Perhaps you were looking for that one? :shades:
  • kingpcgeekkingpcgeek Member Posts: 1,051
    In August I was ready to pull the trigger on a V6 EXL Coupe to save about $75 a month over leasing a new G35. When my wife sat in the Accord and saw the huge center stack with about 234 buttons she said no way. So shucks my wife made me lease a new G35.

The Accord sedan or a Camry were never in the picture, and I have leased 3 Accords in the past. I can't stand the rear end on the Accord sedan, and I hate the bulbous taillights on the Camry.
    2005 G35 Sedan
    2007 G35 Sedan
    2008 G37 Sedan
    2010 G37 Coupe
    2012 G37 Sedan
    2014 Q50 RWD

2017 Q60 3.0t RWD
    2018 QX60 RWD
  • dpmeersmandpmeersman Member Posts: 275
    Well for you I guess that's a winning situation. To be driving around in a G35 certainly can't be considered a bad alternative. In reality over the last year I've made contact with about 5 of those intimidating switches on that center stack. I guess the rest perform some kind of function, but they don't effect my daily use.
    I think once the Accord has a deck lid spoiler or wing spoiler, it looks more pulled together, I think the rear of the Accord looks plain. But, it cannot be any worse than the new altima's rear end. Boy, try dragging that thing around town.
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,146
    A reporter is interested in talking with owners of a 2008 or 2009 Honda Accord who are also parents. If you are interested in commenting on your experience, please reply to jwahl@edmunds.com no later than Monday, November 3, 2008 and include your city and state of residence, the model year of your vehicle and the age of your child/ren.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• manybmwsmanybmws Member Posts: 347
    Just curious. I tried to follow the VCM threads here to find out but they wind together like linguini.
    Some have reported it does. I'm believing that most don't have this problem, although I'm also of the opinion that Honda should address the issue for those that do.

I already knew what price I was going to pay before going on a test drive. I insisted that the test drive would have to be a long one, including a lot of driving at freeway speeds, so I could assess whether I could notice the problem as has been documented here at Edmunds. I get along really nicely with this particular salesman, as we've bought from him before, but was firm that any perceived VCM problems would be a deal breaker. He was nice and off we went. I personally still haven't perceived anything and I do try to keep on noticing.

I'd suggest you set it up so that you can take a long test drive to test it out as best as possible. That would also allow for your testing of whether the seats are to your liking, as many have found them to be uncomfortable, whether from being too stiff or having an irritating lumbar support. On my ride, I deflated the lumbar support to its lowest position. Unfortunately, later on, after the purchase, I found myself uncomfortable. I spent some time adjusting the seats and they're now just wonderful for me personally. In that position, I found it more comfortable still to inflate the lumbar support a tad, but recognize we all have different bodies and tastes in comfort.
    Thanks Keith,

I came real close to buying an 08 Accrod until the VCM issues came up on these forums. I bought another new car recently. I am still mystified as to why Honda pushes this technology since a higher rate of gas consumption happens from a dead start or up hills where I don't believe the VCM kicks in - oh well. Don't get me wrong I am a Honda fan since I have owned 5 Honda/Acuras since 1984 and was happy with every single one of them. Definitely a driver oriented car. Much more than a Toyota although the I am sure the new Mazda6 is an alternative.

If I was a product manager at Honda I would insist on a Hybrid I4 and offer the V6 as a VCM-less model.

Hope everyone enjoys their 09 Accords.
  • ajay747ajay747 Member Posts: 6
    I took the 2009 EX-L V6 w/Navi out for a test ride today and was informed that Honda has re-tuned the V6 to increase HP. The apparent result was a smooth VCM operation over what has been noted on the 2008. Very nice handling car at all speeds with nicely equipped features. It needed memory seats to really sell me.

Check it out for yourself. The VCM is not a factor in 2009.
    Though you feel upscale in the Accord, they cannot offer too many features, that would go right into Acura territory. Otheriwse its a close match, I am thinking if I don't get a TSX, I will get a loaded V6 Accord!

Thank you for letting us know, I had no idea they did this.
    I am glad they perhaps fixed the problem on the VCM. Now, if they can fix the dimming lights on the 4cyl, I would say that got themselves a good deal.
    The 4cyl doesn't get really great mileage compared to the V6 IMO.
  • kingpcgeekkingpcgeek Member Posts: 1,051
    The 09 was not re-tuned to get the additional 3 HP, it was remeasured.
    2005 G35 Sedan
    2007 G35 Sedan
    2008 G37 Sedan
    2010 G37 Coupe
    2012 G37 Sedan
    2014 Q50 RWD

2017 Q60 3.0t RWD
    2018 QX60 RWD
This discussion has been closed.