Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2009 Honda Accord

Comments

• vcarrerasvcarreras Member Posts: 247
    Check out either vtec.net or Autoweek.com There are pictures of a new Accord Sport Wagon. Nice! :) Honda looks to be going after the Toyota Venza.

http://vtec.net/news/news-item?news_item_id=801271

kristi - you may want to start a new discussion
  • toyoman8toyoman8 Member Posts: 114
    What dimming lights are you talking about, dash lights? I have heard that head lights are frickering when the AC is on, not sure if they fixed that in 2009 models.
  • ljgbjgljgbjg Member Posts: 374
    It better start and stop the engine - I had an S2000 with push button start - the guys in the garage thought it was like most other manufacturers' push button starts - that it also stopped the engine. It did not - you turned the key to stop it - push it again? Just like cranking the key on any other car with the engine running - gind all the teeth off the starter motor! :surprise:
  • ljgbjgljgbjg Member Posts: 374
    The light dimming only happens with the 4 cyl cars and not the V6 VCM equipped cars
  • drums1954drums1954 Member Posts: 20
    I am close to getting an 09 Accord EX-L. 4Cyl..Have they fixed the problem with the flickering headlights??
    I am really undecided BTW the 4 and the 6, but I heard that there are problems with the 6 also.
    Can someone enlighten me???
  • bvdj84bvdj84 Member Posts: 1,724
    First off the issues of the dimming lights have been going on for years, look for those previous posts. Now, the 08 models may seem to be a bit worse. But, looks completely normal to me. I had an 06 Accord, did the same thing, never thought a thing about it. Not until people brought it up here. The only to really tell for yourself. You need to go to the dealership and take the car out at night. Since it does get dark early, that will not be an issue.

I will say this, the 4cyl is peppy enough, and impressive, one of the best 4cyl engines out there. Think about your needs and wants, driving habits. Many posts on here are observations, does not mean it is the norm, and you have to feel that car out for yourself to get a true opinion. Read a few previous posts, with some observations. That will help.

Drive both cars, V6 and 4cyl. Another car to look at would be the Acura TSX with the peppy 4cyl. Lease deals are quite similar to the Accord right now! It is more sporty, has paddleshifters on the steering wheel, a bit more power than the 4cyl, but not quite a V6. Just a thought! Still a European Accord, still a Honda. Could be another option for you to look at.
  • shallowthinkershallowthinker Member Posts: 2
    Just picked our new Coupe LX-S last night and flipped through the manuals. Nowhere can I find a simple table that tells me the service intervals. I get the idea behind the dashboard reminders but also like to see something in writing that Honda recommends oil changes at 7.5k miles, plugs & filters at 30k etc... I typically go with 5K miles/oil chagne and push back when service 'advisor' tries to sell those expensive bundles.

Is there a table buried in the manual or on line? Thanks!
  • tallman1tallman1 Member Posts: 1,874
    Honda is going with the Maintenance Minder system and hasn't been putting service intervals in their manuals lately. Some of the Gen 7 folks looked at the pre-06 model for the old service schedule since the cars were pretty much the same. You can find those on Honda's Owner's Link site.

I'm pretty comfortable with the MM system. Of course, your dealer would be glad to give you some sort of service schedule (like the unnecessary 3000k oil change.) ;)
  • tankbeanstankbeans Member Posts: 585
    My dealer wouldn't gain anything from that deal. They pay for all of the oil changes and only bring me in for the scheduled maintenance in the manual. Every time I go in they pull up the recommended services page from Honda's website and make recommendations from there. I have to start gathering some funds for the inevitable 60k as I don't have a garage am not handy and don't know any good small time mechanics. Most of the ones in my area are scheissters in one way or another.
    I can only assume that this link was meant as a response to my post. Although it should prove helpful for many others.

Thank you for the link.

Question, would you say I should find one and bring mine in to them for my 60k checks and stuff rather than spending the $360 or whatever the dealer wants? I've said it before and I'll say it again, I'm not a car guy and probably never will be. Any way to save money is good by me.

"Free" oil changes are hardly worth it if you spend an arm and a leg on everything else. Thank you for your help.
  • loucopitsloucopits Member Posts: 103
    I have all our routine service done by the dealers, but only what the book specifies.

It paid off for me when they did an out of warranty repair free as a good will gesture since I had all service work done at the dealer.

FYI a Lexus dealer's manager can good will up to $2,500 on his own, no higher person's approval needed.
  • shallowthinkershallowthinker Member Posts: 2
    To me, those 30k and 60k dealer service checks are mostly a waste of money. Sure, change the air filter, plugs, oil etc... that are manufacturer guidelines but I push back on the other fifty things. Think about it. Inspecting your brake pads is already done if you are asking them to rotate your tires. All those visual checks on the 30k or 60k service are getting done every time your car is in their shop. It's not hard to stand firm when they pitch that $500 service but it helps my piece of mind to have the manufacturer's list of recommendations.

The other alternative is to build a relationship with an independent mechanic. I have two local shops that specailize in Honda staffed with former dealer mechanics. You pay comparable labor costs but they tend to tell you things like ".. those pads have another 5k miles on them" and not that your battery is two years old so you better change it.
  • mikefm58mikefm58 Member Posts: 2,882
    All good advice. I'd even add to follow the maintenance schedule outlined in your owner's manual making sure you do things that say "replace xxx filter or oil/fluid" but let things slide like "retorque propellor shaft bolt" and as the previous poster already mentioned "inspect brake pads".
    Thanks for all the advice. I know Mr. Host person, wrong forum :blush: , I do have some things that I want checked soon. I know I'm no where near close enough for a full tune up and fluid changes. Probably brake fluid. I'm sure it hasn't been done yet. 60k since new. I'm responsible for 24k of them. Just trying to save money.

I know I've always been more comfortable with my dealer. They charge about $100/hr for labor, or around the same thing as most indies charge and they only look at Honda's website rather than having shop standards for time and distance before X has to be done. If I'm confusing sorry. The only thing they wanted me to do was get my drive belt done, I know I have a timing chain, but the belt looked okay to me. I said no thanks and moved on.

Having no money is an effective way to avoid getting screwed in those situations. ;)
  • KellboneKellbone Member Posts: 3
    What's the feeling about replacing the timing belt on my 2003 Accord EX-L V6 at 107K miles? Is it really necessary at that interval. About 90% of those miles were on the open road. thanks.
  • KellboneKellbone Member Posts: 3
    Anyone know of any special financing for purchasing a new 2009 Accord Sedan through Honda? Will they budge off the 3.9% they tout for an excellent credit score? Thanks. Other comments I have read from other owners on other details have been very helpful.
  • mikefm58mikefm58 Member Posts: 2,882
    Check your owner's manual. On my 99 CRV, it said 7yrs/105K miles to change the timing belt. That's not a maintenance item to let slide.
  • rgathrightrgathright Member Posts: 1
    I am in the upper tier of credit score and got 1.9% for 36 months on 1/2/2009.

The car is certainly a more economical option than the 2009 Toyota Prius. Dealers would only budge $1,000 off the sticker for any car. I was able to get over $4500 off the sticker on this car. If you want to find out how my 2009 Honda Accord 2.4L EX-L is working for me view the review I published here: Epinions - 2009 Honda Accord Sedan Review
  • xmechxmech Member Posts: 90
    Most people I know who have disregarded replacing the timing belt at the necessary interval have regretted it. Some going over by perhaps 2000 miles. And when the belt goes, depending on the engine, so do valves, sensors, etc....

Like Nike, just do it!
  • hondalvr1hondalvr1 Member Posts: 11
    It is not a freewheeling engine. If the timing belt breaks ppistons collide with valves, etc. and the engine is ruined. Had a Dodge Intrepid with SOHC V6 with freewheeling engine - timing belt broke at 34,000 miles - no engine damage,
  • cjachris7cjachris7 Member Posts: 1
    I have an 09 accord ex v6 and it makes a slight clicking noise while in reverse does anyone else have this problem?
  • I was wondering if a better grade of stainless steel is standard on a 2009 Honda Accord exhaust (like a non-magnetic austenitic grade like 304), or do they just give you a ferritic grade like 409 that the muffler shops put on? I seem to remember that the original equipment on my 1995 Honda Accord exhaust lasted quite a while compared to the stuff the national muffler chains use for replacements.
  • elroy5elroy5 Member Posts: 3,735
    It's definitely better quality than most local muffler shops use. You can buy high quality aftermarket exhaust systems, but they will cost you.
  • Just purchased a 2009 Accord LX sedan, but am also keeping my 95 LX sedan which still, for the most part, runs wonderfully. In comparing the two, I noted that, whereas the old Accord has hinged retractable side mirrors (ie which can fold inwards toward the car body when struck from the front - a possibly useful feature for a narrow garage door opening) the new Accord LX seems to lack this feature. The mirrors kind of look hinged, but I can't figure out how to fold them and the manual says nothing about this - so I'm assuming it's not possible (whereas it's easy to do in the old Accord).

Is that assumption correct, or I am I just doing something wrong? Any advice will be appreciated.
  • to answer my own question, I guess they are retractable - I just wasn't going about it in the right way, lol.
    I guess they are retractable - I just wasn't going about it in the right way

We had a few folks who were curious about the mirrors bending both ways a while back. It takes some courage to push on them hard enough for them to swivel... either way you push. ;)
  • Thats right - they do go both ways.
  • nastybeastaccnastybeastacc Member Posts: 1
    I got a new Honda Accord 09 coupe ex have you guys heard of any accessories or after market stuff to do? Anything from bluetooth to intakes!? help please thanks!
  • mitchfloridamitchflorida Member Posts: 420
    Google search is your friend on that.
  • su_a_vesu_a_ve Member Posts: 82
    Couple of online places at decent prices...

I've dealt with Bernardiparts.com - I also bought the Honda Care extended warranty thru them...
  • arthur1011arthur1011 Member Posts: 1
    I test drove both the 09 Accord and Camry V6 -- and bought the Accord... have had a week and put about 1K miles on it.. The accord has a stiffer more ridged ride.. but all in all.. one of the best values for the money.. love it.. paid 23800 plus tax,tag..etc.. 09 EX-L V6.

btw -- the seats aren't as soft.. but I wouldn't go as far to say that they are uncomfortable..
  • mark_wnymark_wny Member Posts: 70
    I realize this is an 'out of the blue' question - but just wondered if any of you have tried the lux cars - BMW 3 series or MB C-class - and then come home to Accord.
    Well, a few reviews of the Accord had mentioned that had driven mercedes or other brands compared the Accord. Mainly because of its value that it offers.
    Is it true that there will be a Euro Accord model available through Honda? I saw an ad in our newspaper and did some research. I found minimal information, but it looks like they might be offering essentially a TSX with Accord badges on it. I would be interested in this. Also, hopefully they are careful about this, make the Euro Accord cheaper than the TSX, why bother with the TSX at all. Though, it will lack a few features of the TSX, but do we need them?

Apparently it will come with 3 engines, a 2.0, 2.4, and a diesel. I would love to get more info on this. Though I wonder if Honda knows that this might eat the TSX's sales??
  • 34323432 Member Posts: 2
    I recently purchased a 2009 coupe and have found after driving it for a while that it is not comfortable. I am researching gas pedal modifications, perhaps looking to see if an Acura pedal can be installed? Anyone else have comfort issues with this car? I am 170 lbs, 5'11", am open to any suggestions -
  • thegraduatethegraduate Member Posts: 9,731
    You didn't tell us what the problem was other than "not comfortable." Could you be a little more specific about why you want to trade pedals?
  • benjaminhbenjaminh Member Posts: 6,311
    I was just reading about some problems in the Hyundai Sonata forums. I was tempted by the low price of the Sonata a year and a half ago when we bought our car, but boy am I glad I got the 08 Accord instead. I love this car. Glad we splurged and special ordered the EXL navi 5 mt. It's great. Haven't had a single problem yet. The transmission is butter smooth. Best manual I've ever had. That Navi and bluetooth are fab. The voice recognition works surprisingly well. It's so comfortable. And it has such a solid feel to it. Nice handling for a rather large car, I think. Honda quality is to be commended. I was worried about buying the first year of an all-new model, but it really worked out for us.
    2018 Acura TLX 2.4 Tech 4WS (mine), 2018 Honda CR-V EX AWD (wife's)
  • mitchfloridamitchflorida Member Posts: 420
    I can't imagine car pedals would make you more comfortable in your coupe. I would experiment with different seating positions, sitting upright with your knees above your hips, or adding sheepskin seat covers if you think the seat is too hard.
  • 34323432 Member Posts: 2
    I have played around with the seating positions a lot and feel like I am over-working my knee a lot, perhaps messing around with pedals is not the way to go, I am thinking about putting in some more supportive seats, perhaps some Recaro seats that have an extendable front cushion. It just feels like there is not a lot of support, and after driving, my knee hurts, or something else hurts, and it is a result of the driving position. I love the car, just think the comfort level really needs an upgrade. I'll need to get rid of it otherwise. Thanks for the input or any other input.
  • clippershipclippership Member Posts: 1
    lady ran a red light at 40 mph and slammed into the driver side of my 2009 accord ex. neither the side airbags nor the front deployed. I slammed into the side and broke two ribs. has this happened to anyone? I would think the side airbags would deploy in such a situation.
    Yes, I would have thought they would go off. I am pretty sure their are side air bags. Something does not seem right with them not going off. I would look more into this.
    Perhaps Honda needs to eat your medical bills. 40mph is still fast.

I am glad your okay though. It could be worse! :( People are just to wound up, and drive too fast. Even this weekend.. people following me close, passing me... Is it worth it? Please, take a step back, relax, you'll get there when you get there. Why rush all the time..Slow down, enjoy the ride. Its amazing to see.... I saw one run a red light, only to pull into their drive way down the street. Or pull into the grocery store after the passing me violently earlier..... what? are you that hungry? See, I forgot, your more important than me, just honk next time and I will pull over to let you pass me.

Anyway, people, slow down, enjoy life a bit okay? :shades:
  • drhuntrdrhuntr Member Posts: 3
    I just bought a 2009 Honda Accord Sedan EXL-V6 and noticed the port of entry was San-Diego but the final assembly point was Marysville OH, what part or was the whole car made in Japan and brought in to San Diego?
    Parts are made all over but essentially your car was made at the Honda plant in Ohio. It was shipped to San Diego... I'm guessing that you live nearby.

You can tell in what country your car was manufactured by looking at the first digit in the VIN. J = Japan, 1 or 4 = US.
  • drhuntrdrhuntr Member Posts: 3
    This is the part I don't understand, this car was shipped to my dealer in Central KY and the Ohio plant is a little over two hundred miles away. I just wonder what part of the car would have come in to port at San Diego than shipped to Ohio for final assembly. Not all of the accord in my area are like that, most come 100 percent from Ohio.
    I guess you don't live anywhere near San Diego. ;)

That is a bit odd but I don't claim to know how Honda does things. I thought they were made in one place. Did you check the first number of the VIN? Now I'm curious.
  • wc_pacificawc_pacifica Member Posts: 7
    Has anyone heard the snap type sound coming from under the engine (driver's side) after shifting into D and pushing on the gas pedal?

My EXL V6 has this issue and the dealer is not sure what this is...any thoughts?
  • accordguy0325accordguy0325 Member Posts: 169
    yes- if it is what I think you're talking about.... when i back out of my driveway and shift from reverse to drive, i hear a clicking noise of sorts on my 09 EXL V6....

my 03 LX 4 sedan had a clicking noise of sorts as well- only it sounded more "springy" if that makes sense.. lol
  • thegraduatethegraduate Member Posts: 9,731
    If its before you've driven the car at speed, its probably your ABS self-test. In my 06 Accord EX, it does the self-check at 4 mph or so. Makes a mix of a grinding noise and a burping noise, for less than a second. It does this the first time you go past 4 mph after each startup.
This discussion has been closed.