Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mitsubishi Outlander vs. Subaru Forester

Comments

• ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    The option package on the base models (alloys and roof rails for next to nothing) is one of those bargains that will have dealers ordering every one equipped that way.

A similar package on the base Impreza sells well. You'd be crazy to get one without it because the residuals are higher, meaning the package ends up costing next to nothing.

The Santa Fe got a refresh, I guess?

I did go check out the new Tucson. They definitely took some risks with the styling. It's a tad smaller than our Forester inside, with a few blind spots. Reminds me of the Rogue, but sharper, with more creases. Their new 4 banger makes more HP than the outgoing V6.
    The option package on the base models (alloys and roof rails for next to nothing) is one of those bargains that will have dealers ordering every one equipped that way.

A similar package on the base Impreza sells well. You'd be crazy to get one without it because the residuals are higher, meaning the package ends up costing next to nothing.

I did go check out the new Tucson. They definitely took some risks with the styling. It's a tad smaller than our Forester inside, with a few blind spots. Reminds me of the Rogue, but sharper, with more creases. Their new 4 banger makes more HP than the outgoing V6.
    I'm finding that Pandora works well for me on a wi-fi network, so-so when I have a 3G signal, and not at all with an EDGE signal.

This is with a BlackBerry 9700 Bold and T-Mobile, BTW.

Maybe if T-Mobile beefs up their 3G service then I could rely on it.

My Miata has an aux in so I could listen for free, plus when I receive a phone call it pauses the music, and picks up where it left off when I hang up. That's neat.

Bluetooth to the Garmin also works well, even the voice dial feature (not with the top down - too noisy), and the Pandora audio mutes automatically when a call comes in.

I just wish Pandora worked better on T-Mobile's 3G network. I can deal with no music in tunnels and such, but it doesn't work well even driving down the road.
  • comem47comem47 Member Posts: 399

I know as much as you do by the quick reference on the auto show video clip. Have to chase that one down for more details (not that I'm buying for several years!! ) ;) .
    Could be a powertrain update? The Tucson's 4 banger was a huge upgrade, maybe that's the new base engine in the SF?

Info is scarce, I'm sure they're busy putting stuff up on-line right now, so we'll start to see stuff over the next couple of days.
  • piastpiast Member Posts: 269
    "The 2010 edition of the Hyundai Santa Fe isn't getting a full redesign, but a visual refresh does provide a few hints of the "fluidic sculpture" design language that debuted last month on the new Tucson and Sonata. The lower front fascia also gets some new forms that evoke a similar look to the Tucson.
    The old 2.7-liter and 3.3-liter V6 engines have been sent off to the scrap heap in favor a pair of engines that provide better performance and efficiency. The base setup is the same 175 horsepower 2.4-liter inline-four found in the new Tucson while the optional engine is a re-vamped 3.5-liter Lambda V6 now with 276 horsepower and 248 pound-feet of torque. Both engines are mated up exclusively with six-speed transmissions but only the four gets a manual option."
    Bingo, thanks.

No surprise, same engine upgrade from the Tucson in base models. Should be adequate now, too.

V6 output is impressive, wow.
    Just in case you've never seen something like this...

imageSee more Car Pictures at CarSpace.com
  • fushigifushigi Member Posts: 1,459
    I guess that would be one advantage to Sprint's network. You can get full EVDO data speed even with just 1 bar of signal strength.

Oh, Mitsu Fuse does do some music voice control but from what I've read so far (haven't had the seat time to try it yet) it's mostly for USB-connected players. From the Fuse description on the Mitsu site:

With the USB connection, you can also select music using voice recognition, using commands such as:

* play artist
    * play album
    * play genre
    * play playlist

More detailed info about Fuse and actually using it is at http://mitsubishicars.com/MMNA/jsp/owners/fuse.do
    2017 Infiniti QX60 (me), 2012 Hyundai Elantra (wife)
    USB also charges devices like iPhones, right? That'd be useful. On a road trip your battery would die otherwise.

Back to T-Mo...it might have been my phone. I pulled the battery to reset Pandora, and it worked for my whole drive home yesterday (3G signal).

I get a slight delay if I request a song, probably for it to buffer part of the song?

Toyota is working with Denso on a response to Sync, so I guess we'll see if they pass that along to Subaru.

Ford's a step ahead, though. While Toyota is looking at Sync, they have MyFord Touch and MyLincoln Touch on display at NAIAS. I bet it sends the Denso designers back to the drawing board:

http://blogs.insideline.com/straightline/2010/01/video-mylincoln-touch-in-2011-l- incoln-mkx.html

Looking past the flashy mood lights it's pretty darn cool. Lincoln already won the JDP award in the category, and that was before these improvements. It's smart for them to make it an extension of your smart phone, because then as smart phones evolve, the technology doesn't become outdated.

I wonder for how long Pandora will continue to be free. I guess they make money off pay-per-click if you download songs they suggest? They may just put XM/Sirius out of business.
  • p0926p0926 Member Posts: 4,423
    They all use the word “leather”, so it is leather, but if you want to call it PLASTIC, be my guest!

You have to be naive expecting stitched genuine leather dash from $30Kcar, while $60K Mercedes has molded plastic. In order to get genuine leather dash you have to get closer to $100K price level and above.

Talk about schizophrenic statements :shades: First you still deny that it's plastic then you turn right around and admit that you yourself were naive since you were completely duped into thinking that a $30k car could have a real leather dash.

-Frank
    I just priced a Hyundai Genesis 3.8 with a "Tailored leather-wrapped dash and door trim inserts" (that's from the Hyundai web site) for $36,300.

So mid-upper 30s. Hyundai is the benchmark here, and nowhere near $100k.

Subaru had a great year in 2009, but I think Hyundai is poised to gain the most market share in 2010.
  • chelentanochelentano Member Posts: 634
    >> I just priced a Hyundai Genesis 3.8 with a "Tailored leather-wrapped dash and door trim inserts" (that's from the Hyundai web site) for $36,300. So mid-upper 30s. Hyundai is the benchmark here.

Yea, Hyundai Genesis 3.8 is quite a benchmark!

"The entire dash is covered in hard plastic with an abrasive texture; rather than applying some sort of padding underneath a vinyl-covered surface, Hyundai seems to have taken the easy (and cheaper) way out
    *...the same hard plastic material covers the steering wheel, providing an uncomfortable driving interface; considering our tester was dubbed the “Track” model, shouldn’t it have a steering wheel covered in leather?
    * The paddle shifters ...Speaking of the paddles, they are made from cheap plastic; Hyundai would have served themselves well by mimicking the magnesium paddles shifters offered by Nissan / Inifiniti in the GT-R and G37" [and Mitsubishi]

http://rafu.com/news/?p=5960
  • chelentanochelentano Member Posts: 634
    Yea, that’s unfortunate and schizophrenic that they make PLASTIC Mercedes. Here more complete summary what your Mercedes is deficient of vs. fushigi's Outlander GT:

• Genuine leather seats
    • Double-stitched leather dash
    • Xenons
    • LED tail lights
    • Keyless GO (FAST Key)
    • Rear view camera
    • Premium 710 watt stereo with 10" sub
    • Streaming Audio Bluetooth
    • AWD with 2 active differentials
    • 5/10 warranty

With all this stuff missing your plastic GLK looks like Subaru. I know that all these packages are expensive, but I believe for your money you deserve more. Interestingly enough that some of it (underlined) not available on GLK even as optional package while being standard on GT. This so schizophrenic!
    Wow you're right, I had no idea how superior the Outlander was to a Mercedes ;)

Yea, Outlander GT is quite a benchmark! What was I thinking?!?! :surprise:

-Frank
    Um, wrong car... :confuse:

The one with the geniune leather dash is the Genesis sedan.
    You mean synthetic leather, and the GLK I saw had a backup cam.

I don't understand the attacks on Mercedes, after all that's where you put your money.
    Without question, the biggest winner of 2009 was Subaru, which posted a 15 percent sales increase and a record 216,652 deliveries.

It was lonely at the top. Subaru had only two companions in the winners column: the South Korean duo of Kia, up 10 percent, and Hyundai, up 8 percent

Read more: http://www.autonews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20100118/RETAIL01/100119831/1- 126#ixzz0d4w5OtyQ
  • watkinstwatkinst Member Posts: 119
    I've found that a hitch and a light duty trailer surpasses any vehicle besides a flatbed work truck for hauling stuff.

Here is why - it keeps all the wear and tear off your car! I have rebuilt 75ft of redwood fencing - a three story wood stairwell and a 12X8 deck all materials transported with a 5X8 light duty utility trailer towed with my 2001 legacy GT Sedan. The trailer costs $12 every 3 yrs to license some states its even less. In this case three of us own the trailer and its sort of the community trailer. My car has no interior damage or wear caused by cramming work materials into it.

If you going to buy a new vehicle for 25+K why would trash it cramming building materials into it?

As for the space discussion it comes down to functional seating space and luggage space given thats what a SUV is built for hauling butts and luggage.
    Good advice.

Indeed, I've borrowed utility trailers to tow loads of mulch and pea gravel.

It's a bit overkill most of the time, for me, and I have 3 cars so I don't necessarily want to take up space for a trailer.

The roof rack works and keeps the interior scuff-free.
    I agree it's good advice if you have the storage for the trailer. I do not, unfortunately. Still, for big purchases a trailer can be rented for a few hours or a day for very little money.

I'm getting my trailer hitch & wiring harness installed today (a dealer "we owe" from when I bought) so I'll be set if the need arises.
    Remember to check the height of the factory ball mount (which is kind of "S" shaped) before attempting to lower the fold down gate with the trailer hitch connected. I still have the factory mount, but my U-hail mount gets the ball slightly lower and beyond the tailgate and I only install it when I hook to my sled trailer as someone could bump their knees on it if I left it on all the time.
    Will do; thanks. I'll normally keep the ball uninstalled but that is good advice. Hopefully it's been updated so the clearance is adequate.

Speaking of updates, they did have to work on the remote starters for the '10s. That's why it's taken this long on the towing kit; we were waiting for updated remote starters so the dealer could do all of the "we owe" stuff at once. I've also got the scuff protectors and a couple of other minor things to have installed.

It should all be done this afternoon.

And as to accessories, I think I mentioned I picked up the WeatherTech liners for my front seats. Definitely a good investment considering how much gunk they've already accumulated from this winter (road salt, melted slush, etc.).
    I use to not leave the ball hitch installed but after it saved my rear bumper when I was rear ended, now I always leave it installed. The ball did a number on the front end of the car that hit me while preventing the Forester from getting so much as a scratch. I did bang my shin on it a couple of times but now I instinctually steer clear of it when I walk around the back :)

-Frank
    WeatherTech liners

Those are nice, custom fitted and all.

Be sure to connect the anchors to prevent them from sliding forward, to keep them away from the pedals.

I got a set of rubber mats for the Miata and Mazda advises against using both carpets and mats on top, it's one or the other. Check what Mitsu says about that.
    The Outlander has a couple of hooks for the mats & the WeatherTech has appropriate slots for them. I didn't even consider leaving the carpet mats in; I stowed them in the box the WeatherTechs came in.

I wouldn't have put them over the carpeted mats anyway as it would be some crush wear & tear, but the whole Toyota gas pedal thing should be enough to convince anyone that layered mats is a bad idea.

The only downside is the liners aren't as grippy as carpet on your feet so wet shoes might slight a little. I'm OK with it but my wife complains a little from time to time. Still, she's considering them for her car (for which WeatherTech only has generic fit & not custom fit liners).
    My wife didn't like the rubber mats much either, mostly for cosmetic reasons.

I got them for free so I'm not complaining.
    Speaking of mats: I see Toyota has big problems beyond the sticking gas pedal on the mat thing. (one of the fatal crashes found the supposed offending mats removed and in the trunk as Toyota had recommended) They are now stopping production on 8 vehicles, RAV-4 included. Looking over in the RAV discussion group I see lots of problems there like many people having to pay $900 out of their own pockets for a steering problem once their 3yr/36K warranty expires. So much for riding on past reputation for quality. Sure glad Outlander has the warranty it does should problems occur downstream. I know GM went to a better warranty is 2007 and methinks many others will need to jump on the bandwagon rather than "trust our past reputation" as it's getting to be too expensive these days to be complacent for those that don't lease within the warranty period.
    I'm thankful that my Sienna is not affected by that issue. The pedal has plenty of clearance to the floor, so I don't think it ever would be.

Toyota is suffering growing pains, big time. They grew so fast, and it's hard to maintain quality when you do that sort of volume.

I heard they want to grow sales by 10% in 2010 - I don't think that will happen. Hyundai is probably in the best position to grow in 2010 given all the engine upgrades and the fact that they have 2 new models in high volume segments.
    I just came across this review in my travels. (maybe it's old news to others)

http://usnews.rankingsandreviews.com/cars-trucks/rankings/Affordable-Compact-SUV- s/

Don't shoot the messenger and my guess is the Forester is not higher up because of the lesser warranty. (Subaru and Toyota should address this)

I realize reviews can vary a lot depending on the eye of the beholder, but just add this into the total information picture for what it's worth :shades:
    I wonder why they didn't have a score for Reliability on it? Perhaps not a big enough sample. That's what seemed to bring all the competitors' scores down.
    I don't have a definitive answer on Outlander quality numbers except I really don't know of any major issues.

To date I had my transmission reprogrammed (more crisp shifts)and the brake switch had a recall because grease on the contacts could cause the brake lights to not come on (mine was working but they did it anyway). They also addressed an unused connector under the carpet that could get salt/slush in it and it was placed where that shouldn't happen. That along with the great bumper to bumper and powertrain warranty and 5 yr roadside assistance I believe give high satisfaction from owners.

I am surprised that RAV-4 isn't taking a bigger hit as I read of many people having to shell out close to $1K just outside of the 3yr/36K warranty for a steering shaft problem and Toyota not stepping up to the plate. (I think they are losing their edge, gas pedal aside)
    RAV4 will take a huge hit in January because of this:

Toyota said it would halt sales and temporarily suspend production

Read more: http://www.autonews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20100128/RETAIL05/100129868/1- 147##ixzz0dvMW6iVY

This affects not only the RAV4, but also the Highlander and the Venza.

Think about it - even if the stop-sale only lasts a week, that is a ton of volume, and a big opportunity for conquest sales for Mitsu and Subaru (and everyone else).

GM was very smart and responded quickly to gain some of those conquests:

General Motors Co., seeking to capitalize on the problems plaguing Toyota Motor Corp.'s vehicles, will offer a monthlong incentive to Toyota and Lexus owners.

Read more: http://www.autonews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20100127/RETAIL/100129874/140- 0#ixzz0dvNUDCvw

It basically amounts to $1000 cash or 0% for 5 years. The Equinox is already in short supply so this will help it pick up even more sales.

They're thinking:

RAV4 ---> Equinox & Terrain
    Venza, Highlander ---> Traverse & Enclave

Don't be surprised to see many RAV4/Highlander competitors hit records sales due to the absence of all 3 of those Toyota models.

Locally, Fitzgerald Toyota is back-to-back with a Subaru dealership. Surely they'll be sending RAV4 intenders to look at Foresters.

The biggest area dealer is probably 355 DARCARS Toyota, and the nearest dealer to them? Rockville Mitsubishi (though Honda is right next door). That should benefit the Outlander and CR-V. The CR-V offers no V6, which could help the Outlander even more.

This is big news, 3 big volume crossovers are not selling at all right now.
    Ford hinted they would not follow GM's lead (offering incentives for current Toyota owners), but let's see if anyone else copies that idea.

I don't see Subaru doing that because of their relationship with Toyota.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Ford couldn't resist; gotta keep up with GM.

Ford Incentives Target Fretful Toyota Owners (Inside Line)

I have wondered a little how Toyota can leverage their deal with Subaru to improve their bottom line - maybe shunt even more resources their way in hopes that their share value will increase?

But I guess Toyota is going to be too preoccupied to think about that for a while.

If Toyota's reputation really gets dragged into the mud, that could help Mitsubishi and Peugeot gain a little more traction. Mitsu needs to put some ads up (do they ever?) offering the Outlander as an alternative to the Highlander or RAV4.
  • toomanyfumestoomanyfumes Member Posts: 1,019
    I have seen one TV ad for the '10 Outlander. I have the Weathertech mats in my '07 Outlander and they work great. I can't believe we've had this car almost three years. It's been a great vehicle.
    2012 Mustang Premium, 2013 Lincoln MKX Elite, 2007 Mitsubishi Outlander.
    Yes, I find that '10 Outlander commercial a bit strange. What's with the invisible people? :confuse:
    If you're not in an Outlander, you don't stand out; you're invisible. Buy/Drive an Outlander and be seen.

Personally I think it's an OK concept but I don't think the execution was the greatest. For one they show more of the people than the car when they could have used the precious few seconds to show features unique to the Outie.
    Personally I think it's an OK concept but I don't think the execution was the greatest. For one they show more of the people than the car when they could have used the precious few seconds to show features unique to the Outie.

Exactly!!!! I guess sometimes it pays to have a "flashy" idea, but you better follow up
    with the "beef" to nail interest. On youtube people only seem to comment on who the music is from, not "hey ! cool vehicle". I don't think enough of a hook is set to make people want to dive deeper, they just move on probably thinking "you've seen one CUV, you've seen them all".
    LOL, Steve.

Jan. 27:

Said Ford spokesman Robert Parker: "We have not changed our focus"

Read more: http://www.autonews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20100127/RETAIL/100129874/140- - 0#ixzz0e0y7Bo4o

Jan. 28:

"The offer is eligible to Acura, Honda, Toyota, Lexus and Scion owners," said Robert Parker, a Ford spokesman

:D
    how Toyota can leverage their deal with Subaru to improve their bottom line

Well, Subaru has been building Camrys for them at the SIA plant.

Right now there is a shortage of Outbacks and Legacys, especially loaded ones, though I heard one obstacle is they can't get enough supply of the 8" Navi screens.

Also, I don't know if it's even practical to stop building Camrys and build more Outbacks on that assembly line. It is an interesting thought, however.

Mitsu needs to put some ads up

Have you seen the Outlander ad with the invisible people?
    Link for those who have not seen it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IWT0vwIdCfw

It's ok, sort of clever. Makes you wonder how they did it. But you guys are right - it does not highlight the vehicle at all. Most people will not remember what car was in the ad.

This ad from Kia is similar, but I think it does a better job at featuring the vehicle:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PUiO7Ouon9c

It's the one with the Hamsters for the Kia Soul. The other hamsters are shown without cars, i.e. the competing products are invisible. This really highlights the Soul. They show how fun it would (supposedly) be to own one.

Subaru has been running feel-good ads, and they're a bit corny, but they do resonate with the type of person that buys them.
    I found this EU commercial for the '10 Outlander. While it does show the features there is no narration so the "feel" is a bit strange to me (busy trying to read quickly flashing features vs being told while you just look) Perhaps a blend of the 2 commercials.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rvHODKQNsyk&NR=1
    Definitely shows the car more.

Can you get those rims here? They're nice.

They also highlight new projector style HIDs (I think, not sure, the 07-09 models had reflector style HIDs).

The ad is a bit too CGI for me, they should have shown a real one driving in the 2nd half of the ad.

Does the EU model get S-AWC? They only said it had AWC.

I agree that narraration would help but maybe it's because it's used in countries with many different languages and they wanted to standardize it.
    Mitsu was down 12% from last January, not good. They didn't break it down by model, though.

Subaru of America up 28%. Subaru of Canada was also way up, in fact they had their best January ever.

Toyota divisoin fell 19% and February looks worse for them, though production is supposed to resume on Feb. 8.
  • rshollandrsholland Member Posts: 19,788
    Subaru January '10 sales breakdown:

http://media.subaru.com/index.php?s=43&item=144

Canada set record sales too. Outback up by 383.9 percent! Wow!

http://www.subaru.ca/WebPage.aspx?ArticleID=6679&WebPageID=4998&WebSiteID=282

Bob
    So Forester was down 4% in the USA and up 26.8% in Canada compared to January 2009.

The new Leg/OB are kicking asphalt.
    The following is excerpted from today's Washington Post review of the Infiniti EX35 where it's compared to the Mitsubishi Outlander XLS:

all-wheel-drive vehicles are not all the same. In the first February blast of snow and ice, I discovered that Mitsubishi's claim of superior stability and traction for its 2010 Outlander XLS crossover utility vehicle, equipped with its patented Super All-Wheel Control, was just that -- a claim. In strong crosswinds, ice and light snow, the Outlander wiggle-waggled its way along northbound Interstate 87.

The Mitsubishi Outlander XLS came with 18-inch-diameter "all-weather" radials. The Infiniti EX 35 Journey was shod with 17-inch-diameter "all-weather" tires. But the EX35 Journey proved a much more stable companion on roads pounded by sleet and other icy precipitation.

Perhaps it was a matter of getting what you paid for. Infiniti's all-wheel-drive compact crossover utility wagon, in size and other ways comparable to the Mitsubishi model, starts $11,000 higher than Mitsubishi's model.
    The Mitsubishi makes a good show for the money in terms of build quality and appointments. But the EX35 Journey, in terms of technology and overall road performance, offers discernibly more.

That's understandable when you consider the platform histories of the Mitsubishi Outlander XLS and Infiniti EX35 Journey crossovers. Both are based on passenger cars -- the Outlander on the often forgettable Lancer family sedan and the Infiniti EX35 Journey on the always memorable Infiniti G37 sports coupe.

I wonder how the Forester would have compared? :) The Washington Post test drove one earlier this winter and had generally good things to say but didn't get a chance to drive it in the snow.

-Frank
This discussion has been closed.