Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevy S10 - GMC S15 and Sonoma Exhaust problems

chico21chico21 Member Posts: 1
edited October 2014 in Chevrolet
It all started with a little noise that keeps getting louder and louder. Sounds like its sucking up a whole lot of air. I'm hoping its the exhaust manifold gasket?? Anyone think otherwise? If it is the gasket, is it pretty difficult to replace? I have already purchased the gasket but I dont want to take anything apart and not be able to put it back together.

Comments

• hanesdhanesd Member Posts: 3
    i have a 98' 2.2 130,000 mile s10 the cat plugged up a while back so i put a straight pipe on it and i was wondering if there was a way to trick the o2 sensor because the check engine light is on and it is running fat. i was also wondering what caused the cat to plug up if it would be like coolant leaking into exhaust or something or it was just worn out naturally.
    thank you,
  • jstanciljstancil Member Posts: 4
    96 sonoma with 245000 miles with black smut at tail pipe each morning when first cranked up. Engines run good until gets hot then sputters a little but still runs with small amount of lean black smoke out tail pipe. Converter ok, new plugs and wires, Compression great with no leak downs,02 sensor new. fuel filter new. Could this be a Throttle body sensor problem? Andy advice?
  • gonogogonogo Member Posts: 879
    2,2 or 4.3 engine?
    Remove the vacuum hose of the fuel regulator, if you see or smell fuel replace it.
    Fuel regulator ok did not see or smell gas from the regulator. map sensor and throttle position sensor replaced also.Could this be a vacuum leak problem, maybe when vaccume hose gets hot it expands and leaks?
    I am leaning toward bad injector, when plugs are pulled are all sooted or just one.
    Yes me to although I did a fuel injection service at a shop, this is where the send the injection cleaner directly through the carb. When I replaced the plugs as I remember there was 1 plug that did look a little smutty. Is there a way of pressure blowing out the injectors and is this expensive, Can a injector expand with heat and cause problems when it gets hot. Does and injector usually get stopped up or does it just go bad on most vehicles . If so with this many miles I may just drive it until is stops then put a lower millage motor in it.
    Excess fuel will run good with a cold engine, not so good hot. I would say the sooty plug has the bad injector.
  • vrzoncavrzonca Member Posts: 1
    Truck started normally, ran ok for a bit, stared running rough, check engine light came on,after driving a bit farther, stopped, looked under the truck, seemed a little loud, and noticed the exhaust pipe from manifold was glowing red hot. What's up? Running rich? running lean? clogged converter?
    Have the converter checked out, can be done with a vacuum or pressure gauge.
This discussion has been closed.