Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota 4Runner

Comments

• tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    Try reducing the flow rate from the nozzle when the tank is close to being full.

tidester
    Host
    SUVs
  • jf01jf01 Member Posts: 88
    What year is your 4Runner? I think everybody who has a 99+ 4Runner has the same problem. The light comes on too early. Toyota has a TSB for it. It took 3 tries for my Toyota dealer to really fix the problem though. They finally replaced the sender unit in my dash, which finally fixed the problem. The other times they tried to recalibrate my sensor. They also warned me about overfilling the gas tank, telling me it could permanently damage my fuel system through some sort of saturation.
  • llslicellslice Member Posts: 15
    I have an 01 and have the same rattle you're talking about (12k miles)coming from the headliner just above the driverside rear passenger seat.I open and close the moonroof to jam whatever molding is rattling but comes back once I hit rough roads.I plan to take it to the dealer soon also.
  • stislanderstislander Member Posts: 3
    I have 02 with 2K miles. I had this noise 3 or 4 times in city and highway situations. There were no passengers with me to ping point the source exactly but it sounds as it comes from rear driver's side door area. Like something is loose or (don't smile) ... somebody is knocking on the door from outside. I can go days without hearing it, but then it appears again. And, as I said, first time I've experienced it, I was on a highway.
    If you have any results after taking your track to the dealer, let us know.
  • cliffy1cliffy1 Member Posts: 3,581
    Go easy on the salesman bashing. I realize the bad ones still exist, but there are those of us who don't deserve the bad reputation.
  • jynewfjynewf Member Posts: 26
    Below is a straight cut & paste from dbabble's post (#138). You can also check post #45 and posts in between regarding the fuel gauge issue. My 2000 4runner also had the same problem; after they fixed it as per the TSB below, I haven't had a problem since.

"The website to see customer complaints regarding the 2000 4Runner at NHTSA is: http://www.nhtsa.org/cars/problems/complain/compmmy5.cfm

and for services bulletins, the web address is:

http://www.nhtsa.org/cars/problems/tsb/Servicemmy5.cfm

Below is the text for the latter, regarding the fuel gage:

Service Bulletin Number: EL01099

Bulletin Sequence Number: 100

Date of Bulletin: 9912

NHTSA Item Number: SB610059

Make: TOYOTA TRUCK

Model: 4 RUNNER

Year: 2000

Component: INTERIOR SYSTEMS:INSTRUMENT PANEL:GAUGE:INDICATOR:GAS

Summary: SUBJECT REGARDING FUEL GAUGE HORIZONTAL CALIBRATION PROCEDURE. *TT

As has been posted previously (by Cliffy1??) spending several minutes filling the tank to the brim may screw up the vapor recovery system. See my (dbabble's) previous posting (#114) for my experience in getting it fixed. Since the repair/replacement, if it gets down to "empty" and I fill it, it takes on over 16 gallons before the pump clicks off. I put the nozzle on the middle notch when I fill it, so the pump runs slightly slower, but otherwise do nothing special. Hope this helps."

• runerboyrunerboy Member Posts: 2
    Like many of you, I love 4 runer. I have my 98 4-runer SR5 2WD. However, there are two questions some of you may be able to help me or give me the advices.

1. The brake would shudder at highway speed. Specially driving downhill when the brake is pressed, the whole truck will vibrating.

When I brought the truck to the Dealer, Toyota service manager said I need some brake adjustment. After the dealer adjusted, it still the same. When I brought it back, they said I need rotate the tires. After rotating the tires, the problem still existing.

2. When the engine is cold in the morning, shifting from "R" to "D" after backing up the truck from garage to street, the transmission jerky and make "cliking" sound. Toyota service manager also said this is normal for the truck.

I used to drive camry and accord and ever have such exprience.

Can anyone tell me those two things are normal for the 4-runer or not?
  • bwjones1bwjones1 Member Posts: 10
    Neither of these are normal. The brake shuddering is most likely due to brake rotors that need to be turned. This is NOT a big deal and it should not cost you that much. As for the transmission issues, it could be something as simple as low transmission fluid, or it could be something more serious....

It sounds like the dealer you took the 4runner to is either 1) incompetent or 2) lazy. Either option is bad and I would suggest you go to another dealer or to a mechanic that you trust.
  • brian124brian124 Member Posts: 38
    On my 01 4Runner, when I have the vents set to split the air between the floor and the dash, I find that there is a noticable temperature difference between the two dash vents on the driver's side and the two dash vents on the passenger side. This only occurs when I have the temperature gauge set around the 12:00 position. The passenger side vents are noticably cooler. If someone could check their 01 4Runner to see if this is a problem I'd appreciate it.

By the way, I drove from FL to VA yesterday on a non stop (other than for gas) trip through the big ice and snow storm we just had. I never saw asphalt between Savannah, GA and Fredericksburg, VA (500+ mi). The stability control and trac control features were incredible. I saw a lot of Explorers and Chevrolets (Tahoes and Suburbans) stuck along the road, not one 4Runner.
  • fordnightmarefordnightmare Member Posts: 40
    any suggestions for aftermarket running boards and roof rack for a 02? Snow collects on the boards, correct?

Any help would be appreciated..

Thanks in advance.
  • rward99rward99 Member Posts: 185
    Toyota made announcements on the new Corolla and Matrix models, but nothing on the 4Runner. It doesn't look like you will be able to buy one this year. From what I hear the 2003 "may" make an appearance in Jan '03 as an early '04 model or 2003 1/2.

The Detroit auto show is coming up soon and if there is no mention by then I'd say it's a lock that there won't be an update until next year.
  • rljslickrljslick Member Posts: 59
    Hi fordnightmare(nice name) try this place I have gotten a lot of great Toyota add ons there:

http://www.performanceproducts.com/
    cpintucson last time a samesman told me that he had to talk to his manager, I told him that I wanted to go with him to the manager office. He didn't let me so after he left I walked back to the office area and he was in the lunch room eating a snack. You know what I did then, I walked!
  • buzzlightbuzzlight Member Posts: 44
    Toyota and Honda don't usually introduce their updated models at the auto shows. They revelaed thier Matrix (new offering) and revised Corolla (soon to come out). Nobody saw the current generation 4 runner til it hit the lots. The 4-runner is such a big profit item for them they don't want people to wait for the next model. Expect to see a totally re-designed 4 runner within 6 months.
  • fordnightmarefordnightmare Member Posts: 40
    rljslick: thanks for the link.
    mtbnate: nice pix's and also thanks for the links.

I ended buying an 02 SR5. Hope it runs 200K.

Do you know of any good sources car covers? Any preferences? I have some construction going on and I want to keep the stuff off the vehicle until the construction is over.

Thanks again for all the help.
  • rshollandrsholland Member Posts: 19,788
    is to the 2002 model, not 2003!

Bob
    I bought mine through Toyota but I know that Performance Products have a whole bunch of Bras for your car. There is a few other companies that sale them too, but I don't know them off hand.
  • jf01jf01 Member Posts: 88
    While sitting in the backseat of my 4Runner today (someone else was driving of course) I felt some air coming out of the door handles. When pulling the door handle further (door was locked) I felt more air. Is this an example of clever engineering on Toyota's part to provide back seat passengers with some air? Or is it just some coincidence and maybe even flaw in door seals? What do you guys think? Does anybody else ever have this?
    The latest word that I have now is that it will be the 2004 model that gets the makeover. It may be released early in 2003, however, perhaps in February.

Of course anything is possible, but my sources indicate that if Toyota were going to release a model for 2003 there would already be more information out about it. They also say that Toyota has been very busy with other products: Corolla, Matrix, Camry, Prius, Sienna (bigger and moving to IN), Solara (moving to KY), RX300 (moving to Canada), new model of Tundra (full 4-door for '03), updated Tacoma, the Sequoia, and the new engine plant in Alabama, and Avalon update last year. (and these are just the North American models)
  • mrandolph1mrandolph1 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 98 SR5 4WD 4Runner that I purchased in 2000. I have a problem with the gas gauge getting stuck somewhere between a 1/2 tank and 3/4 a tank which occurred about a month ago. When I fill the tank all the way up, the gauge does move to full, but then gets stuck in almost the same place everytime when the fuel level goes down. My low fuel sensor seems to be working correctly. I've kept up with the gas left by running the tank empty (until the sensor light comes on), filling it back up and resetting the trip odometer. I am also having another problem with low gas mileage that started 2 weeks ago. Previously I had been getting 18-19 miles to the gallon, but now I'm getting 14-15 mpg. I have seen postings regarding the 99 and 00 gas gauges, but nothing about a 98. Has anyone had issues or know of any problems with the gas gauge on a 98 or low gas mileage?
    I was speaking to a Toyota rep at the Washington DC Auto Show two weeks ago. He said this fall we'll see the redesigned 4Runner.

I suspect it will be much like the new Lexus GX 470 (due next January), but with the V8 as an option. Check out the link here at Edmunds under Detroit Auto Show coverage:

http://www.edmunds.com/news/autoshows/articles/48583/page014.html

Bob
    I hope you're right, but I don't think we'll be able to buy one this year, probably just look at a pre-production version.

Was your contact an employee of Toyota Motor Sales or from a dealership?
  • peter78peter78 Member Posts: 284
    My first impression of the GX 470 is that it is just a re-badged Toyota Sequoia. Same size engine, but the new Lexus GX 470 is diffently smaller that the Toyota Sequoia. The GX 470 has 109.8" wheelbase and is 188.1" long and the Sequoia has 118.1" wheelbase and is 203.9" long. Lexus also says the GX 470 is based on a new global SUV platform. This might just be the new 4Runner???

http://toyota.com/html/about/news/archive/press_release/product/docs/2002/20020106a_gx470.jsp
  • abatteabatte Member Posts: 5
    I've got a 97 4Runner that I bought used about 6 months ago. For the past month or so the brake light in the instrument panel (the one that lights up when the E-Brake is on) has been staying on. Actually, goes on and off occasionally, but mostly it stays on.

The manual E-brake is off from the inside, and there is no resistance that would lead me to believe that the E-brake is stuck. I don't know if this light is an indicator for pad replacement or brake service, but I haven’t gotten any other indication that the brakes may be bad. The truck brakes fine and there are no indicator screeches.

I'm a Jeep convert, so I'm not (yet) overly familiar with the Toyota braking system. Is this common with 4Runners, does anyone know why this light is on and how to fix it?
    I think you can include the Land Cruiser Prado/Colorado, which is sold in other markets, as part of that platform.

The current LC Prado/Colorado shares the 4Runner IFS and 3.4L engine, but has a boxier body, more like that of the Isuzu Trooper.

Bob
    I just talked to a Toyota dealer and he told me that if I speical order a 4 Runner, and he told me it could take up to 4 months!!! I can't wait that long!!! It this right? Have anyone speical order a 4 Runner?
  • raybearraybear Member Posts: 1,795
    Sounds about right.
  • alotawattsalotawatts Member Posts: 44
    The rear window defogger in my 2001 SR5 does not clear condensation very well. Only about 1/2 inch at each heat strip clears. I would guess there is a voltage drop going to the rear glass defogger strips because the heated side mirrors (which defog quite well) are ahead on the same circuit and they get most of the juice so to speak. Anyone else having this problem. ?
  • alotawattsalotawatts Member Posts: 44
    Have you checked the contact switch at the brake handle for coins/popcorn etc. ?
    I just ordered my 2002 4 Runner SR5 with Sport Package and Convience Package. I ordered it for $31,550. The salesman said that I could have it as early and Jan. 20. so keep your figures cross for me!
    I know you have been looking for a 4Runner. I am glad you got one. You asked me a question on the "Pathfinder vs. 4Runner" board about the power in the 4Runner. When you get the SUV, tell us what you think. By the way, what is the color?
    Thank you very much Peter I really appreciate that, I have been looking for a long time but the deals are just to good to wait any longer. I finally got the color I alwasys wanted since I had a 10 speed bike the same color. It's Stellar Blue Pearl.

BTW I test drove a simular 4 Runner tonight and it seem to have plenty of power. No it wasn't a jet car but compared to my Rav-4, it might as well be. Thanks again Peter.
  • jasanjasan Member Posts: 12
    Alottawarts,
    I have noticed this problem as well, the rear takes for ever to clear up. Mine actually times out, I have to turn on the defroster twice.
  • rubysrubys Member Posts: 1
    I just bought a 2002 4Runner SR5 and have found the driver's seat lumbar support to be very uncomfortable. I drove a '91 4Runner for 10 years and had no problems with the seat adjustments. A call to the dealer did no good -- they say they haven't received any other complaints. Anyone else out there with similar problems and/or solutions?
    Ruby
  • texasappraisertexasappraiser Member Posts: 16
    In doing research for my impending used 4runner purchase, I found more than 1 publication state there were major problems with engines in '96 models. All other years are rated good to excellent. '96 was given the worst rating. Can anyone elaborate? Was this a specific engine, or what gives? Thanks, Lance.
  • waid10waid10 Member Posts: 21
    I am currently in the process of registering my 2001 Limited in the District of Columbia. On their registration form, they require the vehicle's GVW, Unladen Weight, KI, and CL. Through some searching I believe the GVW is 5250 lbs. and the Unladen Weight seems to be 3975 lbs.

Can anyone confirm those two numbers?
    Does anyone know what KI or CL mean?
    Can someone alert me to where I would find these specifications?

I have tried asking the DC Bureau of Motor Vehicles for some clarification on their abbreviations, but it seems that no one there has any idea what is on their form or what it means.
    a local car dealer. They deal with that on a daily basis.

Bob
  • buzzlightbuzzlight Member Posts: 44
    I talked to my dealer today. He assures me the totally new 4 Runner will be out in March. He also ofeered me a killer deal on a 2002.
    96 is the first year for the 3.4 V6. It had some head gasket problems. There was a recall.

http://club.vmag.com/ubb/Forum2/HTML/000833.html

http://club.vmag.com/ubb/Forum2/HTML/000406.html

• bigorange30bigorange30 Member Posts: 1,091
    I am looking at both the QX4 and the 4Runner in consider of purchase. Has anyone done a thorough comparison? It appears that I could probably get the Toyota dealer to come more off of the price than the Infiniti dealer. Infiniti does offer a longer warranty. Consumer Reports or Edmunds has not done a complete review of the QX4 but both give the 4Runner excellent marks. I have seen on one board that someone had a problem with the paint on the QX4 that the dealer was not able to diagnose. Does the QX4 resale value hold up as well as the 4Runner does? Anyone heard of any problems with the 4Runner? Please give me some input.
  • mrwhipplemrwhipple Member Posts: 378
    Was out at the LA Auto Show today. There was absolutely nothing on the '03 4Runner. Couldn't even find anyone to get any info on it.
  • abc246abc246 Member Posts: 305
    Your problem is you are low on brake fluid. As the brakes ware fluid is displaced from the master cylinder to the brake pistons. This has shown up on both my Toyotas and that was it. Currently have two Chevys now, though. Hoping Toyota finally drops the current V-6 and replaces it with an engine that has a timing chain.
    The Toyota V-6 has had head gasket problems since 1990. I think they all have the potential to fail, just the newer ones don't have time on them. Every year they say it is fixed. This engine is what made me buy USA!
  • denver8denver8 Member Posts: 42
    I have not read all prior 995 posts so I don't know if anyone has covered this topic yet. My wife has a 97 4 Runner limited and she was complaining about the ABS system making lots of noise and not stopping very well on snow. One snowy day she even pulled into a midas shop to have them check it out. The shop checked everything and even test drove it in the snow and said it was fine. Midas did say the Toyota system is not the best out there however. We put new tires on thinking that would help with the traction. I thought it was just a girl thing until a few weeks ago while driving in town and about to pull into a parking garage I applied the brakes and the truck started shaking and making noise, which is understandable with ABS systems. The thing that got my attention was the truck slid about 30 feet past the garage before stopping. I have had ABs equipped vehicles and non ABS equipped vehicles and I don't think this should have happened. If I had been in a non ABS vehicle and locked up the tires I would have stopped far shorter then the 30 feet. The conditions were not that slippery and I was going slow as I was waiting for other people to pull into the garage. Anybody have any experiences like this and what should I do. My wife really likes the vehicle, I would hate to have to trade it in.
  • nofeernofeer Member Posts: 381
    They announce the gx470 but not the 4runner which comes 4 months earlier? Toyota doens't want to hurt o2 sales of present 4 runner's and get people interested in lexus, since the rx300 #'s have fallen off (see highlander for reason) and rx300 is geting old looking. others are moving quickly to 3rd row seats so rx300 needs redesign. killer deals on 4runner no wonder toyota wants to move people to high end, if the 4runner gets nav i'd consider it, i don't know if the 03 runner needs a v8, or just get the new camry v6 to power up
  • t2msoiat2msoia Member Posts: 6
    97 Runner w/ 79000. Runs like new! Only PM done.
  • mikeg444mikeg444 Member Posts: 17
    I am not sure what abc246 is talking about. Toyota has a reputation for making very reliable engines. Much more so than any USA made. However, for the 96 4Runner, Toyota apparently over-tightened the head covers on the V6 engine. This lead to head gasket failures and a recall from Toyota. Check out consumerrports.org for reliability ratings on the 4Runner and all vehicles. They even discuss the recall for 96.

I bought a used 98 6 months ago and have loved every mile I put on it.
    I did not say Toyota has a reputation for making unreliable engines! What I said was that the V-6 has had problems with head gasket for years. Back then it was a 3.0. What are head covers? There are valve covers and heads, but not head covers. Toyota has been replacing head gaskets for years on those engines for free; it just was not public knowledge. You could get them fixed for free if you had problems with one and had a good relationship with your dealer. I have owned Toyota trucks since 1990. Friends and I both have had problems with that engine.

Toyota is not perfect either. If Toyota does not use the current V-6 in the new 4Runner I would consider going back. Just for the record I have never had an engine or transmission problem in a GM car or truck. I also had one bad transmission (5 speed) in a Toyota 4x4. It would pop out of first gear during acceleration, but never when the dealer was driving it! Talk about aggravation!