Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Ford Fiesta

Comments

• autonomousautonomous Member Posts: 1,769
    edited July 2010
    No way you can buy a decently equipped Fusion for under $16K new.

I think you are both right.

As you mentioned, the 2010 Fusion would have to be stripped down to compare in price to a more or less top of the line 2011 Fiesta. Jeffyscott is correct in that Ford is aggressively pricing their 2010 Fusions these days; in Canada the discount on Fusions is over $5K. He is also right that Ford will likely not offer a discount on a brand new 2011 Fiesta in the near term. So, if you like the Fusions, this is a great time to buy. If you prefer the Fiestas, you may want to time your purchase to see if the initial demand softens and substantial discounts start appearing.
  • aviboy97aviboy97 Member Posts: 3,159
    My Ford store just got in two Fiesta's, and we have a SES model that is $22,000. Yikes....

Yes, it's a lot of technology, but, $22,000 for a sub compact is a lot of money!! You can get a Mazda3 s GT with a little more features for a couple bucks more plus 0% financing.
  • backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    Those will be a hard sell. Lots of great cars available for $22k.
  • iamziamz Member Posts: 542
    Please let us know how long it sits on the lot? Thanks.
  • audreyalityaudreyality Member Posts: 8
    Truecar.com says that $18275 is the "best price" for an automatic SES and that anything over $18800 (MSRP basically) is overpriced. I can believe that, and have had a couple dealers offer me MSRP and another offering $18300 for that very car.
    The MSRP is $21,740. Here is the window sticker directly from Ford...

http://www.inventory.fordvehicles.com/services/inventory/WindowSticker.pdf?vin=3- FADP4FJ0BM108256
    How about this Fiesta SE Hatchback 5-speed which basically comes with Sync, airbags and power windows + locks, MSRP $16,460. The basic Mazda2 5-speed with more equipment is $14,730.

The Fiesta is rated 28/37 vs the Mazda2 at 29/35 and the Mazda gives up about 20hp, but, still, almost $2,000 is a lot. The difference goes to $1,200 when you take out the Sync.

Also, none of the automatic Fiesta's are rated at 40mpg highway. They are all 38mpg highway. What's up with that?
  • phill1phill1 Member Posts: 319
    The missing 2 MPG is due to the fact that NO ONE is ordering the new Ford Fiesta`s with the (SFE) Super Fuel Efficiency package which only includes a tire upgrade to low rolling resistance T rated tires for a huge price bump. Originally that (SFE) was supposed to have included a lot of different items besides the tires but Ford decided to include all as standard equipment except for the energy saving tires and dropped the price down considerably but not enough to justify the tire upgrade. They still advertise the 40 MPG hwy due to the fact that you can order the vehicle with those tires.
  • keyser2keyser2 Member Posts: 25
    I've been hearing about the Fiesta for more than a year, and looking forward to the Spring 2010 launch. I have yet to see one on the street or in a Ford dealership. I believe Ford really did a lousy job marketing this car. What is the holdup? Production problems? The thing is 'heche en Mexico'.

Once again, Ford is "all blow and no go"
  • akirbyakirby Member Posts: 8,062
    They had some shipping problems due to the hurricane. Some dealerships have them already, some don't.

Why was it a "lousy job"?
  • puffin1puffin1 Member Posts: 276
    edited July 2010
    Rowe ford in Westbrook Maine has 2 and they are basic. I'd wait for Focus Hatch.
    Have of you seen the hot American cars in the UK and Europe we won;t or don't get. Someone on here put a link on here and I get the scoop and pictures of all the hot cars.Ford makes a Hatch w/TDI selling like hot cakes.The cars over there are faster and geared better.
    We are treated like lepers here. :sick:
  • alltorquealltorque Member Posts: 535
    Have of you seen the hot American cars in the UK and Europe we won;t or don't get.

Which "American" cars are you referring to ? We certainly do get more small diesel hatches than you can shake an oily stick at and the current Ford diesels are pretty good..............as are those from Volvo, Saab, Peugeot, Renault, Citroen, VW Group, Vauxhall (GM), Fiat Group, Honda and just about everyone else. ;)

My current favourite non-diesel is the VW 1.4 TFSI. 180bhp from a supercharged and turbocharged 1.4 litre gasser. Goes into the VW Polo and Skoda Fabia pocket rockets, (and the SEAT version also, IIRC). We are truly blessed.
    edited July 2010
    Well, you may be right and I may be crazy.
    Well, google Auto Expess it's a magazine in the UK. They send me e mails with pictures and comments on all the cars they have over there and in Europe.
    Boy, they jumped all over the new Jetta as another VW flop. They really like the Fords especially the Focus HB SVT . I mean these Euro models have so many types of engines. The Review of the Mazda 2 was so so if you just need a car to go to work a short distant ance in. The VW Polo has a TDI ,but it's not coming here. They road tested the Fiat that's coming here and what a lousy review.
    By the way what country do you live in? Edmunds doesn't put flags up anymore and I'm sick of asking them to.
    I was trying to find a comfort package, a guy on here told me to get. I tried for a long time.Well, come to find out he was from Canada.I bought a New Acura Type S and I thought it would come with heated seats. Well, it didn't only in Canada.That was in 2002 though.
    I'm telling you there are more fun rides and choices across the pond. :)
    edited July 2010
    $22k for a Fiesta no way would anyone pay that. ( I hope) I'd try a VW Golf TDI and the heated seats are multi level and after you shut the engine off you can still listen to radio and close your sunroof. When u take your key out everything shuts down. The Fiesta's seat cusion only warms up
    Also, I think the VW is over priced but, they always ,well, all most all ways build a better cabin, or give the car an extra twist like soundproofing the wheel wells and hood with insulation and a lumbar support. :)
  • audreyalityaudreyality Member Posts: 8
    If you email dealers in your area you can get them below MSRP easily. I am ordering an SES with automatic transmission which MSRP is $18,865 and got a price at $18,100 which beats Truecar.com's best price by over $100
    Well, you may be right and I may be crazy.
    Well, google Auto Expess it's a magazine in the UK. They send me e mails with pictures and comments on all the cars they have over there and in Europe.
    Boy, they jumped all over the new Jetta as another VW flop. They really like the Fords especially the Focus HB SVT . I mean these Euro models have so many types of engines. The Review of the Mazda 2 was so so if you just need a car to go to work a short distant ance in. The VW Polo has a TDI ,but it's not coming here. They road tested the Fiat that's coming here and what a lousy review.
    By the way what country do you live in? Edmunds doesn't put flags up anymore and I'm sick of asking them to.
    I was trying to find a comfort package, a guy on here told me to get. I tried for a long time.Well, come to find out he was from Canada.I bought a New Acura Type S and I thought it would come with heated seats. Well, it didn't only in Canada.That was in 2002 though.
    I'm telling you there are more fun rides and choices across the pond.

Puffin1 :

I'm from the U.K. and totally agree that here in Europe the choices of vehicle/engine combinations are staggering...............and we are very happy about it.

Still not sure which great "American" cars you were referring to that we get in Europe. If you mean Ford and GM subsidiaries then yes, I guess the parent is US but the cars don't originate from there, (either in design or build). Some of the best cars on the market currently are built in the Czech Replublic; including the best of the Hyundais, the i10 and i20.

Yes, I do see Auto Express from time to time but it's a pretty poor attempt at a motor mag compared to Autocar which is also available on-line and has many years of history as a solid source of information and objective testing - whilst still being a good read.

You crazy ? Well, you may be but at least you're in good company - if you count me as good company. Keep smilin' they haven't taxed that..........yet. :)
  • ayercathyayercathy Member Posts: 1
    There are a lot of engine choices for the fiesta like 1.2 L(62 HP),1.2L (81 HP),1.4 L (95 HP),1.6 L(120 HP), 1.4 L TDCI(67 HP) and 1.6 L TDCI(89 HP).

Do u want cars with 62 HP or 81 HP which are underpowered and useless.

Consider this: The most powerful Fiesta in Europe is the only one available in America and it goes from 0-60 mph in 9.3 seconds which is slow for American standards. A fiesta with 1.2L engine will go from 0-60 in 14 or 15 seconds. We don't need such crappy or underpowered cars in USA. I am actually happy that we don't get these crappy engines here.
    I don't want a car that's advertised as a HB and truly isn't and thats a Fiesta and a Focus.
    The Focus Mondeo svt 0 to 60 is 7.8
    :lemon:
  • cannon3cannon3 Member Posts: 296
    The B class is purely for MPG reasons we all must remember. I have spotted a few of these lately and they are eye catching. Design is very nicely done in my opinion for a a small car. Beats the Yaris and the Fit by miles in design.
    Price.. remember the first 3-6 months dealers won't deal on these. Wait for inventory to come up in about 6--9months and then go shopping. Once more dealers have them they will deal. I would no-way pay over $20,000 for a small car like this. Fully loaded about $18K Max! Competition along with dealer stock will drive prices down. Be patient.
  • plektoplekto Member Posts: 3,738
    According to the difference in prices elsewhere(Canada being probably the easiest to do a comparison on), the B-Class will start at about $5K less than a C class.

But, for a lot of people(my mother as an example), who want a smaller car that is also as luxurious as a Mercedes or similar - ie - a S class but at 1/2 the overall size, or as close as possible), this is a segment that has been ignored. 30mpg+, small, and the floor mats are more luxurious than the entire interior of something like that new Honda.

It will sell quite well I bet.
    I agree with you. There will be a firesale come September and October on some Ford models especially.
    I wouldn't count on firesale prices. Ford will simply cut production before they put a lot of cash on the hood.
    Read post #470 Would you spend 22k SEL or 19k SE Fiesta. Go look at a basic VW golf and just sit in the cabin , Lumbar support @ 2 MFD's lighted Vanity mirrosr , 5spd 2.5 liter 170 hp and cargo space as the seats fold flat. The Focus and Fiesta do not haves seats that fold for car cargo space.!7K add $600.00 for a moonroof and a stiff sports suspension and keyleess hatch .
    A Fiesta loaded w/ sync for 18k maybe.Also, wait when the 2002 Focus phony HB come out. The prices of the Fusion, Focus sedan and Fiesta will drop and November is the time to shop. The Euro is $2.20 and pound is #
    $1.60 the dollar is in the tank.
    Well Kiby , not to be wise but what would you do?
    I spec'd out a fairly loaded SEL for less than $18500 (no moonroof). I'd buy a Fiesta because I hate VWs.

If Fiesta is too expensive FOR YOU then don't buy it.
    edited August 2010
    If you'd have read my profile(ours) we are searcing for a Home depot car. We live in Vail (Avon) and Maine summers.I thought the Fiesta was to be a HB. The same as a Focus was to be.(Stop by Paddy O'days in Avon and I'll buy you a Beer just ask for Me) After 5:00PM
    A naturally aspirated car struggles at 10.000 feet so,. I be better off with a TDI, or a Subie WRX ,or the Forester XI. It doesn't start snowing until the end of September the earliest. So add a grand for a moonroof on the SEL plus taxes and paper work. $20,000.00 I wouln't own a car in the Rockies with out a moonroof. Hey, no use for caps just a friendly brainpickin' on here. :shades:
    What do you mean - "I thought the Fiesta was to be a HB"?

I thought you meant HatchBack. If so then you can get a 5 door Fiesta HB which would be even better for Home Depot runs than a 3 door HB.
  • jeffyscottjeffyscott Member Posts: 3,855
    Pretty sure the Focus will be available in a hatch too, since that is what they showed in the picture of it that they sent me some time ago in a promotional mailing.

...and of course, the seats do fold down, just not completely flat.
    Yes, Fiesta and Focus will be offered as 4 door sedans and hatchbacks initially. I expect a "hot hatch" version of each to be offered as a 3 door hatchback like the Euro Fiesta and Focus.
  • creakid1creakid1 Member Posts: 2,032
    edited August 2010
    I don't want a car that's advertised as a HB and truly isn't and thats a Fiesta and a Focus.
    The Focus Mondeo svt 0 to 60 is 7.8

"...likely to deliver the 0-62mph sprint in less than seven seconds and a top speed of more than 140mph."

But really, 0-to-60 isn't everything. How often do you rev all the way? I'll take the fat-torque instant-throttle naturally-aspirated 2.3 4-cyl (Fiesta-size) Focus -- only in N America! & please, no nose-heavy 5-cyl from Volvo. Why would you envy Euro's engine choices? :P

& if you can't get a new one w/ 2.3 today, an used '04-07 sample w/ resale value like that will only cost a few tokens. I don't know how much you guys gonna pay for a new Fiesta, but my aunt just got a new roomy 2.5 Subaru Legacy AWD auto w/ pwr seat w/ pwr lumbar for under $20k including tax & lic.
  • daryll44daryll44 Member Posts: 307
    What's the deal with the rear DRUM BRAKES? I thought they went out with the V8-6-4 engines and crushed Corinthian leather.

Are they safe?
    I think most cars in this class and even in the compact class have rear drums, at least in the lower level models.
  • stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,515
    the fronts do the majority of the work anyway.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• igozoomzoomigozoomzoom Member Posts: 801
    They're safe and long-term maintenance costs are significantly lower than with rear disc brakes. Brake shoes (on drum brakes) are typically less expensive than brake pads for disc brakes. In addition to installing new pads, brakes discs often need to be machined (or "turned") because of warping and/or other surface damage (grooves, etc). Turning the rotors shaves the surface down to a smooth, flat finish, which also reduces the thickness of the rotor each time this is done. Eventually, the rotors will become too thin to resurface and must be replaced.

Or you can just replace brake shoes on the rear drums and only worry about the discs on the front. The front brakes do most of the work anyway, which is why the rear drum setup works fine in most non-performance cars.
    2015.5 Volvo S60 T6 Drive-E Platinum, 2012 Mazda CX-9 GT
  • daryll44daryll44 Member Posts: 307
    Sounds reasonable. But it does make me wonder why, then, don't ALL cars have that set up?
    But it does make me wonder why, then, don't ALL cars have that set up?

Because disc brakes are more effective than drums. Back in the mists of the 1950's, Jaguar adopted disc brakes for their race cars, (at Le Mans), when everyone else was still using drums - some of them, Mercedes for example, stupendously huge.

Part of Jaguar's success was down to the disc brakes' better stopping power, (they could brake far later for corners), and far superior heat-shedding characteristics so the brakes worked better more frequently and for longer. Now, of course, the friction material used for race brakes, (ceramics etc), need to be "hot" to work at all but will continue to work at ridiculously high temperatures where cast-iron drums would just give up the ghost.

The real mystery, to me, is why some manufacturers still fit drums to any cars. Can only think it's because they're cheaper to mass produce - being fairly crude bits of engineering. Treat discs reasonably and they'll last a long time, at least in my experience. A lot of the problems seen with discs is poor braking technique; braking hard from high speed then holding the car on the footbrake. This leaves a very hot spot under the pads which cools far slower than the rest of the disc = warping. Good forward planning can help a lot.

Sorry for teaching my mother's mother how to vacuum extract the embryo from hard-shell biological ovoids - and possibly opening up a whole new debate.
    According to Tom and Ray (cartalk) the reason they are used and are cheaper is because the drum brake also serves as a parking brake without any special modifications, which is apparently not the case with discs.
  • faroutfarout Member Posts: 1,609
    I went and saw about 12 of these Fiests's yester day. I still am in sticker shock! Them little things are shure High! The cheapest was just under 15k AND THE MOST EXPENSIVE WAS 21K. They seem to have good fit and finish, and nice interiors. However there were Focus's that had more room and equiped about as nice less. I think the Fiesta is overpriced because they are in a rather short supply and they will most likely have a big rebate.

I have no need for one but If I wanted a sub compact I choose the Fiesta or the Focus over other brands, and I am not a Ford person.

justme
    Well, wait until the new Focus Hatchback comes out.
    I think you'll become a Ford fan. I agree the Fiesta is way over priced. :shades:
    Overpriced compared to what? $15K seems cheap for such a nice car. It only gets expensive if you add expensive options.
  • aladdinsanealaddinsane Member Posts: 182
    I may be in the minority here, but I don't find the 2012 Focus 5 dr or sedan all that interesting.
    Speaking for myself it's a shame that Ford chose not to have a 3 dr version of the new Focus.
    I'm reminded of a Subaru Impreza upon viewing pix of this upcoming machine.
    Boring.
    The Fiesta is nice, but not the styling powerhouse I thought it would be.
    IMHO the Mazda2 is far more attractive, eventhough it lacks Sync and a sunroof option.
    Please don't misunderstand: I'm no fan of the new Chevy Cruze either.
    Again, I speak for myself.
    Peace!<-AladdinSane-<- :shades: -
    You are definitely in the minority on both vehicles.
    edited October 2010
    I still am in sticker shock!

How about "close to £24,000 ($38,000?)"? These furnitures front & back alone will cost a fortune. But then these Recaro seats don't necessarily absorb road bumps that comfortably.

Do these future Euro-designed Ford compacts suppose to look like low-price cars? No!

The future VW's do. Their Control Blade suspension (engineered by the original Focus engineer) introduced about 1/2 a decade ago will no longer be standard equipement, ditto the padded dashboard! You can only get these features in the stiff-riding "GLI package" on the next Jetta! The $15,995 made-in-Mexico Jetta 2.0 will be priced to compete w/ the made-in-Mexico Fiesta w/ similar suspension set up. The Jetta will trounced everyone else in rear leg room, including every Focus/Fiesta/Golf through out the history, but..."The average consumer couldn't care less about steering feel, and the Jetta's on-center sensation delivers with a light touch and an overall lack of feedback. Compared to the electronically controlled tiller on our TDI, the hydraulic rack's steering effort is Corolla-light from lock-to-lock, with only a slight tightening when pushing through the bends."
    I just bought a VW Golf (never thought I would) Quiet ride, nice cabin 2 MFD settings, lumbar support, moonroof,bluetooth and mutilel heated seats.
    It's a 2.5, 5spd and the milage is 27 around town to 32 on hi-way not bad for 170 hp.
    Mazda did away w/ lumbar plus the road noise is still the same. I traded in a 2008 Mazda I New Value. The VW was priced right and absorbs bumps better and the handling is sensational.
    The fFiestas do not have Lumbar support or Multi level heated seats and are way over priced and the Fiesta isn't 4 wheel ABS.The golf has alot to offer :shades:
  • aladdinsanealaddinsane Member Posts: 182
    Good... :)
    I'm glad not to be following the "herd"...
    Peace!<-AladdinSane- :shades: -
    edited October 2010
    Just after the turn of the Century, the U.S. Focus had both the lumbar support & the stability control (Advance Track) options available, but consumers in this country got no taste to buy them...

Some of the seats are even imported from Europe w/ lumbar adjustment, pwr seat height, heated...like this stripped Focus SVT, which has superb steering feel no GTI/GLI these days can come close!

But then, some seats w/o lumbar adjustment still got sufficient lumbar support.

The Rabbit/Golf became a great car about 5 yrs ago after VW hired the original Focus engineer to engineer their suspension (read the cost-effective multi-links -- the Control Blades). But soon, VW will be too cheap to continue w/ this std feature.

So the current Rabbit/Golf is a collector's item b/c it's the only expensively-built VW compact w/ a comfy ride!

However, in 2007 I was on the way to a VW dealer thinking of trading in my '05 Focus ST 2.3 sedan for a new comfy/quiet Rabbit/Jetta. But VW's numb electric pwr steering appalled me so much that I've changed my mind ;)

The exterior & weight of the current Mazda3 are bulky like a mid-size car, but w/o the quietness, smooth-ride or rear leg-room of a mid-size :sick:
  • hdbahnhdbahn Member Posts: 3
    It's kind of a big deal that I would have to drive 50 miles outside of Charlotte to find one. Maybe I'm showing my age, but no amount of online jabber will give me a hands-on experience with the different trim level controls, either. I've been wanting this car for more than two years now (thanks Autoweek-no thanks to all the SUV/Taurus ads in the mail from Ford), and thankfully it has some merits in driving dynamics (documented mostly by journalists and relatively little by the vast "movement") so it may still give me an excuse to use the OZ wheels off of my SVT Contour someday since they won't fit anything else besides the outgoing Focus. I hope that there will be a little more discounting for this car, since my idea of smart tech/value is the winter package, not SYNC or push button start (and no place for my SONY harddrive head unit). At 6'3" I used to think moonroofs were helpful at badly positioned traffic lights, but I never use the one I have and prefer headroom. I also can't reach the center stack (by 6"!) in a Fiesta from my seating position but the steering column is the only one I have ever not needed to pull out to the max. I will have one of these, but I'm sorry Ford put so much content in it without offering a sport suspension with the current engine, for those of us who don't drive daily in Michigan.
    I guess Ford used up the 5-sp manual tranny inventory when the Focus ST sedan was produced a few years ago. Every Focus ST sedan only came w/ 5-sp & sport suspension. The std traction control became optional for '07, but for only a few tokens just like the optional heated seats.

The discount/factory rebate was steep. The resale value is...it's a steal to get an used one now.

As I said before, the compact-exterior '05-07 Focus ST sedan, w/ the reliable & torquy 2.3 developed by Mazda & the multi-links, is the new Fiesta's biggest enemy.
    Strictly from a performance perspective - maybe. But the new Fiesta is much more refined with many more bells and whistles and slightly better mpg.
    edited October 2010
    It was more than a year ago, when Ford allowed us to test drive the made-in-Germany stick-shift Fiesta hatchback in S California.

On the way there, I was driving my '07 Focus ST sedan, which I paid just a little over $14k (plus tax & lic.). There's no way that Fiesta's little engine gonna rev quietly just to match my 2.3's normal acceleration. But what bothered me, besides the restricted rearward visibility width, are the electric pwr steering's less feel & the simple suspension's more body roll w/o having a softer ride.

I also had a chance comparing to the Focus SVT hatchback from another test driver. Boy, the SVT's steering feel was so delicious it's worth a million... That car's std driver seat even got pwr seat-height adjustment. Too bad it doesn't come w/ a reliable engine developed by Mazda.
    Golf VW Dub has one and 6 spd in TDI :shades: