Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Nissan Altima Hybrid Electrical and Lighting Questions

niners99niners99 Member Posts: 15
edited March 2014 in Nissan
Is there a mechanical reason why Nissan does not offer a xenon or fog light package with the Altima Hybrid (i.e., xenon lights might melt wires, etc.)? If not I'd appreciate some input about installing aftermarket xenon and fog lights -- i.e., exisiting discussion threads, best brands, what to do, what not to do, etc.

Comments

• niners99niners99 Member Posts: 15
    Thanks a million!
  • langjielangjie Member Posts: 250
    i think that they just wanted to keep the HID option to the V6's.

if you were to change to HID's, i would recommend the non relay type connectors (since the battery is in the trunk). also, search some forums (nissanclub.com) on the disassembly procedure (you'll get crucified if you ask, so SEARCH)

major thing is, don't take off the bumper! take off the engine cover from the wheel well
    Let me further clarify that the "Klight" equipment that I am talking about is only the hids and not the fogs.
  • hiwaymanhiwayman Member Posts: 98
    The clearance under the car is pretty minimal. You may have to jack it up to get the work done. Surpisingly enough though, the front splash shield under the nose of the car comes off quite easily. There are plastic pop-up buttons (about 20 of them, it seems) that hold the thing to the frame. Just pry at the center button of each one with a small screwdriver, and they pop up kind of like the temp pop ups on a Thanksgiving turkey. Then they're easily pulled out with your fingers. They're also reusable, so don't toss them. This will give you access to the back of the fog light area.
    you mean behind the wheel right? when you are talking about the "pop-up buttons"

that's what I did, I took the wheel off to get more access, then I popped those buttons off, took off some of the screws under the fender, and pulled the cover and tucked it behind the rotor to give me access to all of the lights

kind of annoying if you ask me. it's so complicated just to change light bulbs now. if you just wanted to change your rear turn signals/backup lights/brake lights, it requires you to remove the entire rear light to gain access....kind of stupid if you ask me but the stealerships are sure raking in the money on things like this
    Thanks Langjie and hiwayman. What brand of fogs and/or hids did you install? A local shop that will also do the install is selling a "Klight" "High Quality" model for $200 including the installation.
    I only have HID's, didn't put in fogs since that would be extra electrical work. I have techone's....not the greatest in my opinion. my buddy's bosch ones are noticeably brighter
    It looks like you've found your own access, so this all may be moot. The splash shield I'm talking about is under the front of the car. It covers the area between the front wheels and forward to the bumper area. It's about 4 feet long (between the wheels) and about a foot or so in width. It's put there to protect the engine area from water, and also to help create a reasonably smooth surface for the under-car air flow to slip past. The reason I know about it is because I ran over a curb and broke it a couple of weeks ago. Much to my surprise, when I went to Nissan to get a new one, they were only $20.00. The "buttons" were a $1.00 each....While I was under there, I'm pretty sure I saw the rear area of the foglight area, but maybe I mis-remember...
    i think it's essentially the same access, but you need(?) to take off the wheel covers to get up to where the headlights are
    Good to know. I've been considering putting fog lights in (if I can find a switch that doesn't look clunky in the driver's area, and can get the wiring right). Up here in the SF Bay area we have some pretty impressive fog...it would be nice to have the lights....
    Got the HIDs installed today in San Leandro (T&R Lighting). Cost $200 including installation and the kit. Very amicable people. Install was less than an hour and I saw that they installed it through the front wheel wells doing some of the things mentioned above. Really like the look. I got the 5000k color.

They are offering to do the xenon fogs for $380 including the kit and install. I'll be making an appointment probably in two weeks and will let you know how it turns out.
  • j0nny5j0nny5 Member Posts: 9
    niners, you are a godsend. I've been calling places all day, most of which didn't even know that a Hybrid Altima existed.

If you stand behind T&R's work, I will be paying them a definite visit this week! (I live in Santa Clara but have a couple of close friends is San Leandro)

Thanks again; you've saved me a lot of time! Let me know how the fogs work out... I may add them too... ;)

-jon (j5)
    niners99-

Can't seem to find their number on Google Maps... I know they're next to Kuttek Werkz (the glass place) but I wanted to call before heading down to make sure when they will have time to do the work... can you post the number, please?

Thanks!

-jon
    Here is the link on craig's list

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/pts/592356106.html

Also, their phone is 510-331-2348. I dealt with Tao but the others in the shop just as knowledgable and helpful.

FYI, you might want to ask if they will come out to your home/work to do the install so you don't have to make the trip. They offered to do this on the fogs when I do it.

I haven't been able to actually drive at night with them but I like the color of the 5k which is a very bright white after the bulbs warm up which doesn't take long.

Good luck!
    Thanks!

Spoke to Tao, who will do the job today for me. I don't think I'll get the fogs just yet; it's the 1st, and the mortgage is due ;)

Maybe next payday! :shades:
    Jon,
    Did you get the job done? Have you had a chance to drive at night? If so, what do you think of the performance? I just finished driving up from Capitola to SF (10:35pm now). I like the asthetics of the 5k bulb but I am concerned that they are maybe too bright to the point perhaps where they are too bright for the driver in front of me and therefore illegal (?). Going uphill on Hwy 17 I got flashed by another driver coming downhill from the opposite side of the hwy. I have another car with factory installed HIDs (Mazda CX-9) and I don't think that they are quite as bright. I've just been trying to keep a large distance when I can with the other drivers in front of me.

I notice a big difference The lights are very bright.
    No I haven't yet; it ended up getting dark before I could get up there, so I rescheduled for 10AM tomorrow morning (Sunday)...

I read somewhere else that if the bulbs aren't focussed, then they are going to be scattered and really bright. If you notice, many factory stock HID setups have a lens to focus the light, which is very expensive to add after the fact (requires modifying the entire lamp assembly). Other HID kits I've seen (Kaixen I think?) have bulbs that are "cut off" by having the upper half of the bulb painted so that the light only hits the road rather than the entire area below, ahead and above the front of the car.

I personally don't think it's a huge deal; my wife's 2004 Scion XB has had a mis-aimed headlight for 2 years as the result of her rear ending a Corolla, and we just have never had it fixed. People flash her at least 3 or 4 times a day. Life goes on. I don't think it's enough to be hazardous; the fact that you were driving up 17 tells me that you had to already have had the car on an upward angle for it to be bothersome enough for others to flash.

Lastly, every time I mention HID's to people my parents' age and above (I'm 27, they're in their late 50's), they always say, "oh, you mean those horridly bright lights the fancy cars have on them these days?" So, it's a generational thing too.

So, unless you get some kind of cutoff device installed (an internal shield or hood - i've heard of them being expensive and not very effective) or "cutoff" bulbs, you may just have to contend with some slightly irked drivers... and your significantly improved field of vision at night! :D

I'll let you know how they look tomorrow, maybe post a pic or two. :shades:
    [NOTE: ORIGINALLY POSTED THIS YESTERDAY, WAS DELETED BY MODERATORS DUE TO MY INCLUSION OF THE INSTALLER'S PHONE NUMBER. (WHICH IS APPARENTLY AGAINST THE RULES...) REPOSTING:]

I got them installed this morning; man, that guy works fast (45 minutes!) Almost too fast... I hope the ballasts are well secured, lol...

They look great!! I got the 6000K bulbs, and they are exactly what I wanted. I believe they are actually a touch dimmer than the 5000K because there's less tinting to the glass of the bulb at 5000K. They are BRIGHT though! I didn't have anyone flash me (matter of fact, it seems that everyone and their mother has HID's now... every other car on the road tonight seemed to be equipped with them, so I guess no one wants to be a hypocrite and complain.

I was worried about the "cutoff" of the lights, or them being too scattered, but they seem cut off exactly where the stock bulbs were cutting off, so the light stops dead at about license-plate level on the car in front of you when stopped a traffic signal. Do yours cut off at about the same place, niners?

Well, I can say pretty confidently, Tao of T&R Lighting in San Leandro does a quick, effective install of HID's on the NAH, with no detriment to performance. $200 installed; give him a call at [the number on his Craigslist posting: http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/pts/592356106.html , or PM me if you want the number] if you live in the SF Bay Area!

I'll try and post some pics when I get a chance.

Thanks again!
    -Jon
    Niners, I'm really interested in that fog light install. Have they told you how the switch will work? Will they put something somewhere on the instrument panel, or something else? I suppose it's too much to hope for that they'd actually be able to install the Nissan switch set up on the steering wheel, like a factory job..... ;-)
    Hiwayman, I haven't installed the foglights yet (maybe next month). These are questions that I have as well and will be asking the installer because if they have to install some obtrusive switch on the dash I may hold off. I'll e-mail the shop sometime this weekend and and let you know what they say when I get an answer.
    Ok. I just got off the phone with the auto shop that I used to install my HID kit and they said that an OEM switch will be installed in one of the extra slots next to where the trunk release switch is located. There will not be any fog light switch installed onto the steering wheel. As I mentioned before the hybrid is not prewired for fogs so they will have to do the wiring in addition to installing the fogs. For those who may be interested in using the same shop that I did in the San Leandro, CA (see my earlier postings) they recently quoted me $80 for labor and $80 for the fog light parts. Not a bad price. Additionally, if I wanted to upgrade to xenon fogs I would also have to purchase another HID kit which cost $160. I have been very happy with my HID installation so I don't have any hesitation to use this shop again for the fog light install.
  • cephraimcephraim Member Posts: 31
    I'm waiting for my NAH to come in. My dealer tells me that there is not even an option to get OEM fog lights for the NAH at this time. I know it is not prewired, but there's GOT to be an option to get OEM fogs installed at the dealer, right???

Thanks!
    Eph
  • occkingoccking Member Posts: 346
    I also, was very disappointed to find out there are no fog lights available on the NAH (even though there is a "spot" for them. The dealer quoted me $380 approx to have them installed, that is outrageous and I will live without them.

At first, when I got the vehicle I was troubled as I have not had a car without fog lights for several years, and I keep them on all the time (at night) and I can see much better. However, I have found the regular headlights on the vehicle are fine and I don't reallyt miss them.

But, it looks also dumb, and "incomplete" for Nissan to have created a spot for them in the front end and to see those stupid black plastic covers. At the time the vehicle was built, how much more would it have cost them? It should have at least been part of the tech package, they already get a big price for that.
  • cephraimcephraim Member Posts: 31
    I'd pay the $380, but I can't even get the dealer to quote me a price. He simply states they are not available as a dealer install. Did you get a part # from your dealer?
  • occkingoccking Member Posts: 346
    Matrria Nissan, Raynham, MA is where I purchased my two NAH's & they quoted me $380. But, seriously, I think the basic headlamps with the vehicle are better than average and I am doing fine without them. I have accumulated $900 in "Subaru Bucks" (do a lot of travel & max out three cards every year -- previously had a Tribeca) Mastria Nissan jointly owns a Subaru dealer next door & have told me can use these bucks for repairs for my Nissan & was thinking of using them for fog lamps -- but $380 way too much. By the way, and I will post this on another board. One of my NAH's 91 days old today, just turned 10,000 miles today. Exact mpg, not based on computer but actual use 33.8. Have had actual as high as 35.5, computer always approx 2 mpg over actual.
  • toomanycars1toomanycars1 Member Posts: 4
    I have a 07 NAH, no foglights from the factory of course. i bought a new OEM set on e-bay for $100 ,bought the pigtail wiring harness on e-bay for $7 and installed myself..only drawback is i wire them into my light to go on automatically with my headlights because i didnt want to put in an aftermarket switch in my interior and didnt want to know the time trouble or cost to replace the light controls on the steering column. if your not handy, you could prob find any auto shop to install them for prob $50-$75.
This discussion has been closed.