Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2009 Toyota Corolla Problems and Repairs

Comments

• terceltomterceltom Member Posts: 1,024
    Had my 2009 Corolla XLE for two weeks so far and put on 250 miles to date. The electronic power steering problem some others are experiencing has not been an issue with me at all. I think the electronic steering on this vehicle is a much improved feature over the old hydraulic system. I would comment that the steering is very precise and care should be taken when taking your eyes off the road to answer phone or turn radio or whatever because this steering is very responsive to every small turn of the steering wheel. But then again, the steering wheel has all the buttons to control the radio/cd or answer your hands free cell phone anyway, at least in the XLE model.
  • mcdawggmcdawgg Member Posts: 1,722
    I agree - all cars I have owned do it.
  • roadie2roadie2 Member Posts: 6
    My average MPG has never been right. It always reads higher than what I really get. Still, I'm getting 475 miles out of 13.5 gals just driving to work. I'm sure that on the interstate at speeds below 65mph this car will get 40mpg or higher...that's as good as my motorcycles.
  • jcardieljcardiel Member Posts: 4
    Hi all,
    I purchased a corolla 09 (standard 4A) a couple of months ago and I like it a lot, however, I noticed a couple of problems. First, the rear window defogger does not work for the complete window ( 3 or 4 lines on the top dont work at all ). Took it to the dealer, and they just said that the voltage was to factory specs and did nothing. Secondly, there is a noise coming from the breaks right when releasing them. Other than these two problems I am very happy with this car. Have you noticed those problems on your corollas ?
  • louie_jr2005louie_jr2005 Member Posts: 34
    The top 4 lines of the rear window isn't you defogger system, it is your radio antenna. I thought the same thing but when I called the dealer he told me that and if you look at the lines closely they are different then the other lines (they are space different and not connected to the others). I have no problem with my car, I love it and it saving me a ton on gas bills !!!
    Yes, top 4 lines are the radio antenna.
  • ticristicris Member Posts: 1
    Hi !

I have a 07 Corolla and I'm having the same problem with my breaks.
    The dealer explained that since the 05 model the breaks were changed to a floating shoe (unlike shoes adjusted directly to the calyper) and when changing directions the breaks make a clunking noise. According the them it's prevent the vehicle from vibrating when the rotor is warped. I'm not a mechanic but It's strange that this noise started only a few months ago and I've owned my vehicle for a year and three months.
  • erikhaanerikhaan Member Posts: 29
    Interesting...I've been wondering about this.

I have a sounds with my car that I hear as I'm coasting at about 5 mph, and it sounds like someone repeatedly, sporadically, hitting a deck of playing cards on a table (but muffled). I've been wondering if there's something loose in the suspension or if it was the breaks being loose. Sounds like this might be the case.
  • paulcudlippaulcudlip Member Posts: 33
    I have owned mine for over 3 weeks now and not one rattle! The only thing that is different is there is no hood liner as compared to the 2006 Corolla S I traded in.

The 2009 is real quiet inside and the ride is fantastic.
  • sep1078ussep1078us Member Posts: 6
    Hi friends, can some one plese tell me when we need to go for the first oil change, my toy coarl le is allmost 4 months old with 4500 miles on it, and i am unavle to get the 35 mpg i get 30 mpg even when i drive on highways driveing at may be 70 mph,and when i start i can see the MAINT REQ light just flashes for 2 seconds.....please help on this..
    In your owner's manual, you will see that the maint req light begins to flash at 4,500 miles, signaling you that it is time for an oil change. I think the light stays on constantly once you get to 5,000 miles.

Your owner's manual tells you the guidelines about when to change the oil and how often.
  • sep1078ussep1078us Member Posts: 6
    thats a good news....but my corolloa hardly gives me 31 even i drive on high ways i eman on the turnpike , that we have and i drive at 70 mph and the rpm is slightly below 3....what to do if i want to get atleast 35..
  • ak1439ak1439 Member Posts: 2
    Hi everyone,

Bought a 2009 Toyota Corolla LE with automatic transmission about 5 months ago. I noticed something odd about the transmission, and wanted to know whether any of you have it as well. When I accelerate from a stop, and transmission has shifted to the second gear, I feel that it then shifts down, before starting on its way to the third gear. It almost feels like a slip. Something this slip is immediate, after it hits the second gear, and sometimes nothing will happen for a few seconds after the second gear, and than it happens. I would appreciate your comments. Thanks.
    I have a 2009 also and it sounds like you might be refering to the automatic electronicaly controled overdrive transmission that is new for the 2009 model. Previous model years had a little button on the shifter that you would depress to engage the overdrive but on the 2009 models it's all automatic. The transmission will feel like it's holding back in the lower gears with this automatic overdrive.
  • ak1439ak1439 Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for your input. Are you experiencing the same thing I've described in your Corolla as well, or not ? If you are, have you discussed it with the dealer ?
  • lchailchai Member Posts: 2
    Dealer agreed my price for 2009 Toyota corolla LE OTD price at $16000.00( including admin fee,everything). good deal or not? I am in NH. thanks
    Excellent deal ! Take the car and run. Enjoy, it's such an enjoyable car to drive. I love my new XLE.
    Can't say for sure if what your experiencing is the same as what I have noticed. I do know though that this new automatic overdrive tranny does hold the car back in lower speeds and gears. Best to have you dealer/mechanic test drive it to be sure. Keep us informed as I am interested to the out come.
  • cpu8900cpu8900 Member Posts: 53
    Yes...that was a great price....I paid $17,200 for my LE with Automatic, included options: All weather guard pkg $150, Preferred Accessory Pkg $314........got the 3 yr. 0% financing so that was like getting about a $600 rebate.

Very happy with the car after about 4,000 miles....no rattles, noises or problems, avg. mpg is 42.

For those that want to change your own oil...it's
    really easy....besides, my dealer wanted $57 for this service.......and don't fear the new type of oil
    filter.....other than it's available only from the dealer
    for about $7.

Save all your receipts to show proof of service.
  • sweetsegasweetsega Member Posts: 7
    jweaver - are you still encountering this problem? I also purchased an 09 Corolla back in June and to this day I'm still ecountering the burnt smell you describe. I only notice it when I park the car. Everything else seems to be ok; I have just over 6,000 miles on it, and although the burning smell still persists, it continues to drive fine. Has anyone else had this problem?
    I bought an 09 Corolla in June and for the past month or so I"ve been having issues with the car stereo. I go to turn it on in the morning and instead of powering up the radio (if it was last on that setting), it spits out a CD at me each time I hit the power button. It does so each time I hit the power button until all the CDs have been ejected, and I've never even touched the CD functions so I'm clueless as to why it ejects the CDs without my prompting it to do so. Also, the computer display is messed up. Instead of showing the radio station, or the CD track number, the computer display is all garbley [non-permissible content removed], sort of like when a calculator goes on the fritz. I called the dealer and they'll install a new radio for me. Just wondering if anyone else has had this issue?
    Finally got my after market wheels installed this week.

Everything went well except now the TPMS light
    is always on because I didn't install the sensors
    on the new wheels....don't care anyhow.

Toyota dealer refused to install the wheels
    saying I can't use the original sensors from
    the steel wheels on the new alloy ones.....that's
    baloney.....I think they refused due to liability
    reasons.

Anyway....I kept all the original parts and when
    I eventually put new tires on I'll install the sensors
    on the wheels.....I later learned from a friend that
    does wheels and tires the factory sensors would
    work just fine on the alloy wheels.

Toyota wanted about $75 to do the work but
    I did it myself at the base hobby shop for just
    $45 (balancing and shop fee).

As for the TPMS light I haven't given up.....I can't
    pull the fuse since it operates other important
    components....so I'll see if I can pull the bulb....
    unless of course it's LED.....we'll see how easy
    the instrument panel is to disassemble.....stay tuned.

Oh, yeah....no burnt smells or radio problems.
  • jrct9454jrct9454 Member Posts: 2,363
    On our 06 Prius, when I replaced the original wheels/tires without the sensors, I just put a small piece of black tape over the warning light. Much easier than fiddling with the instrument cluster, which I think is a bad idea.
  • conbconb Member Posts: 1
    Just recently purchase 09 corolla xle noticed that when car gets hot and only when hot the shifting process is making lots of noise like a valve tap/vibration. over 40 mph no problems. took it to the dealer & they think i'm hearing things, but, this is my 3rd corolla & never heard this before. anyone have any ideas? it's not affecting performance - just sounds like junk.
  • fujijohnfujijohn Member Posts: 4
    I have 11,850 plus miles on my 2009 Corolla LE bought in May this year. This morning, the brake light was on. I have brakes so I drove it 20 miles to work. My husband took it to the dealership later but the light went off on the way. When he got to the dealership, the low tire light was on. They checked it and said it was nothing. We don't know what's going on. I've been making research online on possible problems with 2009 Toyotal Corola LE.

Fuji
    My 2009 Corolla LE has a humming/tiny rattling sound when it gets to 60 mph. Prior to and after 60 mph we don't hear any noise. The dealership said this is normal and I've read reviews from Consumers Reports that they noticed a mild humming engine noise but did not say anything bad about it.
    I don't know about the brake light. It is usually because the parking brake is on, or the fluid is low, which is the result of brake pad wear (doubtful at only 12,000 miles). I haven't heard of any brake problems.

The low tire pressure light - is it colder recently where you live? The tire light comes on if the pressure is too low, and on a cold morning, all tires have lower pressures. The key is that you should have the proper tire pressure and the light won't come on. In other words, 30 pounds in a tire at 80 degrees is only about 26 lbs at 40 degrees, so your tires probably need to be inflated. As per the owner's manual and all other car info sources, it is a good idea to check tire pressure every other week. The tire pressure light is a safety feature to warn you that your tires are too low, either because of a leak or just too low pressure.
    I also have a 2009 XLE. My car never had the symptom you are discribing but I do notice with the new automatic overdrive on these vehicles it seems to me like the car is holding back in the lower gears. I never experienced this on my other Corollas, but I guess I wouldn't if the automatic overdrive is a new feature for 2009.
  • rnakawatrnakawat Member Posts: 5
    I still have the problem. The Toyota service rep stated it was due to all the plastic in the engine (including the plastic manifold.) But I don't know for sure.
  • rolladanorolladano Member Posts: 1
    I have problems with a sporadic rattle noise. I identified the noise coming from the moonroof, mainly from the front passengers side of the moonroof. Its like an anoying rattle from a loose piece of window. The dealer looked at it twice, the first time they said it was nothing, the second time they said its the rubber seal around the moonroof glass rubbing against the roof frame. Its extremly anoying but I was told to wait and see if it goes away as the car ages the rubber will dry up and not make the noise anymore.
    The other problem I had was after letting the car sit for about 3 days it didn't start, it made some realy strange attempts at starting, it sounded like the computer was turning the starter over and over. I let it sit and it strated up very shakely, I will tell the dealer next time a go in.
    Hi. Thanks for the feedback. Yes, the parking brake was disengaged when the brake light came on. And, also, yes we had cooler weather lately but the low tire pressure only came on after several miles of driving and the weather by then had turned warmer. I am just concern if there is some kind of short circuit in the wires that control the dashboard. The car was serviced just a couple of weeks ago. The dealership did not explain anything but told my husband to just drive it. I am not sure if that's good or not.
    I am still confused by the brake light - I would just make sure to monitor it closely and mention (get it in writing that you complained about it) it to the dealer. As for the tire pressure, they probably just inflated them. Again, just monitor it.
    I live in Vermont and I've had to scrape my car windshield twice so far because of frost in the morning. I have a really good scraper, but both times, the scraper has severely scratched my windshield. I now have several dozen fiber glass scratches all over my windshield. I'm taking it to the dealer tomorrow. Has anyone else had this issue?
    I don't have this issue but may I suggest using a plastic ice scraper vs. fiberglass? Plastic is softer than glass therefore it won't scratch like the fiberglass scraper is.
  • gizzer777gizzer777 Member Posts: 335
    All cars with those trip/miles per gal/etc work like that. At least the ones I have owned have worked that way. This little computer is only meant to give the approx figures anyway and is only meant to give you the requested info in case of say an oil change, change in gasoline brand, or some other similar event. I do not think Toyota intended for you to be changing readouts constantly, but only in the case of an occasionalreadout.

The only exception I could see might be the outside temp....in that case a simple "friggin cold or friggin hot would do for me :)
  • orlando0213orlando0213 Member Posts: 9
    Is there any one esle who is having problems with their NEW car? My 5 month old car has a radio issues in which the volume does not work, shoots up and back down by itself, not able to turn it off or on. I was told by a Toyota tech had that this radio is being made in Mexico and are having a sorts of problems with them. I am also hearing a rattle abovr my stearing wheel left side by the air vent.. I have in in 4 different times driven with the Techs and they are not able to correct..What esle can i do? :lemon:
    If those are the only 2 issues you have, I think your Rolla is a long way from being a :lemon:

As far as your radio being made in Mexico, I do not think you will get far with any brand and where its parts are made. Today, everything is made on the cheap and made to be thrown away!
    Should not take them more than a couple of hrs (all plug and PRAY...includes a 1 hr coffee break!) to change out the radio (hopefully there is one in stock at a dealer somewhere close to you..

The rattle is another relatively simple fix ONCE THEY LOCATE IT!

Good luck and give it a chance. I have had mine for about 6 months and am enjoying it. Sometimes NEW cars are a bigger pain in the butt than one that is slightly used with the little bugs already shook out! :)
    I have been to the dealership 4 different times all for the same issue( rattling noise) Left my car there for 1 whole week and they they they dont here it.. I soon as i get there to drive the vehicle with the tech 1 minute passes both times i was there the Tech hears the noise too..Three different times they fixed all around the noise but the area i have showed them! Its not more than a couple on inches big where the noise is comming from.. For the radio i was told that its in back order because they are not able to correct the problems with the radio. One they are fixed the problem arises again. At one point i was told that they decided not to fix any more because of all the problems they are having.. Was also told that the radio i will be getting totally different radio ? The manager also mentioned to me that he has no time for my car and there are other cars needing fixing!! I guess Im not a customer!!!
    Both of these small problems seem like a reputable dealer should be able to correct them. The key word here being REPUTABLE! With your dealership manager talking to you like that I would definitely take it to another Toyota dealership for this warranty repair. I would first give the person at the top of that first dealership a verbal tongue lashing. I would tell him about his manager's comments and then ask him what kind of incompitant technicians do they employ that they can't find a simple rattle? I don't know why the manager would tell you that he has no time for your car when he is getting paid by Toyota for every minute he is spending on your car. You can go to any Toyota dealership for warranty service.
    Attitude + patience WILL pay off and sometime soon something good will happen. I suggest getting a case number from Toyota USA and maybe a Valium before you speak with the GENERAL MANAGER AND MAYBE FACTORY REP OF A DIFFERENT DEALER! >Your 2 issues are a pain for you but do not sound anything that would indicate that you have a lemon.
    BTW: Noises in cars can sound like they are easy to locate but can wind up in a completely different area alltogether. I do not remember what the radio problem is. (guaranteed that the lowest bidder got the contract!) Knock wood, mine has been flawless
    I am not trying to make light of your problems, but there is not too much more that you can do without losing your shirt if you trade....AND THE POSSIBILITY OF HAVING MORE SEVERE ISSUUES WITH WHAT YOU REPLACE IT WITH!!! I have heard of bigger issues with much more expensive autos. Our Corollas are built for the lowest cost possible and do not have any where near the quality of the older cars IMHO.

Remember, these autos are $20k , not 50K dollars. If you saw some of the crap they put into $50,000 autos to save a buck, you would be horrified. Also, the Radio is 3rd party all the way. Toyota just happened to choose it and if it is costing them $$, it will get fixed!

New cars have problems just like older cars. 1st gen new cars are even worse
    I've had my 09 Corolla since June and am encountering the exact same issues as you! My radio barely works and it spits out my CDs when I try to turn it on. I'm waiting for a new radio from the dealer. Are you having a new one installed as well? I'm also having issues with my windshield - I scraped it twice with a good plastic scraper to get the frost off and ended up putting several dozen scratches all over the windshield ...
    Obviously this windshield issue is the fault of your own doing and not Toyotas. The glass in all cars must meet high government quality standards and your glass is the same put in other cars.
    Yes Im getting a new radio. But then again its been a month back ordered so who knows.
    There is no reason a radio should be on backorder. Dose this mean Toyota isn't making cars right now because they don't have radios? I DON'T THINK SO!!!! Get on your dealer's a** and tell him to get you a radio. They swap radios in and out at the port of origin for Toyotas. Or again I would suggest another dealer for your warranty service.
    But you have to understand that because they are making cars, they can't just pull a radio from the factory, because they operate on a JIT basis. They can't shut down the assembly line because they don't have a radio. So they may be on backorder, because whoever supplies the radio to Toyota is only making and shipping a few for repairs to existing cars, and these go to a spare parts warehouse vs. making thousands and shipping them to the two North American factories that make Corollas. Different places, different reasons.
    That may be so about radios but that's no excuse why when making thousands of cars daily they shouldn't have a radio for someone who is having a problem with one in a brand new car. It doesn't matter where they are going the customer that just purchased a new car should be taken care of FIRST.
    The instrument cluster was actually quite easy to
    disassemble, although after inspecting the components
    I opted for your black tape over the light for ease
    and reversal at a later date when I change tires
    and reinstall the sensors.

Thanks for the suggestion.

For those that have dealer problems not
    responding to your concerns contact the
    Toyota regional service rep.
    When I had problems with my Malibu
    the Chevy rep. cleared the deck and the
    dealer bent over backward correcting the
    problem in 3 days including a free loaner.
    I agree somewhat, just providing a possible explanation for the wait. If the supplier's radio has a problem, it could explain why it is on backorder - how many times does a radio normally need to be replaced - next to zero, so that's why they probably don't have many set aside for replacement YET, vs. new car assembly. Obviously, they have a problem with this radio, but I am sure it will get resolved soon. At least it doesn't affect getting to where you need to go!

I have been in manufacturing all my life (but not auto), so I have seen this kind of thing and can understand the issues. :D
    The dealership i have been going is out right bad.. I just got off the phone with the Service manager and he straight out lied to me last week.. He told me that my radio will be in this week so when i called for the status the service advisor told me that no its still back ordered and there is no date in site!! The rattle continues around the dash board and was told again to come in so that i can tell them where the noise is .... Thats BS i have there 4 times already and they know where the noise is comming from.. These people really dont give a sh** about the customer.. I have a Lawyer already wanting to call this a LEMON.. I want to give toyota a chance and fix my issues and not go that route>> :lemon: :lemon:
    Any reason why you feel committed to this particular "BAD" dealer for your warranty service?