Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2009 Toyota Corolla Problems and Repairs

Comments

• nshahzadnshahzad Member Posts: 14
    I'm having a strange problem. At some certain speeds (lower), I let my foot off the gas, the car feels like its "dipping" or "stalling", the rev meter drops, then bounces up about 100, then down 50 or so, then stabilizes. It feels like it stalls. I'm gonna try some testing today, found another post of someone who described about the same thing. Anyone else have this issue? I got her Monday, only 200mi on it, it seems as though this other person (Berniehoyland) had a transmission replacement. Ughh. I asked the dealer, he said it may be that it's still breaking in. I'll give it a bit, but if I can consistently replicate it, I'll show it to them.

I haven't had any problems with steering. I had some unstability on the highway the first day, but the next morning before I left, I checked the tire pressure - 38. I deflated to 32, and it's been solid as a rock. I have an S with the sport package.

Also, any "breaking in" tips?
  • louie_jr2005louie_jr2005 Member Posts: 34
    Watch your speed for the first 1000 miles don't change your speed like crazy on the highway. Try to stay at highway speeds and don't over rev it to get up to speed. Also watch your brakes for the first 600-1000 miles they will take some time to get broken in. Your probably will smell smothing like rubber burning for the first 1500 miles and that normal it all the stickers and other stuff burning off from the new parts that get hot.

What color is the car? I have the S with sun roof in the silver and I have had it since feb 10th I love it!!!
    Thanks for the answer! I got the Magnetic Grey, also with the sunroof. Gonna start modding it soon, swap out stereo etc. Just opted for the sport package and sun roof.

I vary my speed, though on the highway it can go upto 70/75 mph (speed of everyone), but I hope that's ok. I smell the plastic. I have about a 50 min commute one way, 25 min local roads, up and down hill, then about 20 min of highway at 60-75 mph. I figure it's a decent break in. But I think I'll slow it down during the break in.

I'm having a weird "issue" with low speed tranny, it seems like it cuts off the engine b/w 20-40mph, 1k-2k rpm, when i let go of the gas, it feels like it stalls for a second, and then the engine "catches" back on. kinda makes me nauseous to be honest. i dunno if that's normal?
  • terceltomterceltom Member Posts: 1,024
    I'm not having that issue with mine. I would give it a short amount of time and then demand repair of this issue. Varying your speed is the best break-in rule to follow.
    It happens on like hill right? My does it when i let ho of the gas going down hill it like slows down and sounds funny. I think it something do to with the down shifting of the engine. I have never thought anything really about it b/c it only when going down hills. Yea you can but some really great stuff for this car now on ebay and other sites. Back in feb you couldn't get nothing. Now you can but just about anything. I got a lebra front end cover and also the window guards.
    Yeah! Mostly on a hill. Someone else said the computer cuts off fuel to the engine for engine braking. It seems normal so I won't worry about it then...

I'm just about to order some mudflaps. Too bad the OEM mats are expensive. Though I think it's comparable to good quality non-OEM ones.

Next up is getting rid of that horrid stock stereo with a nice Kenwood touch screen. Yumm :blush:
  • sensesfail28sensesfail28 Member Posts: 1
    i have a 2001 toyota corolla sport. the engine blew in it. does anyone know if i could swap in a celica gt or gts motor in it? id like too but not sure if it would work. or any other motor would be good. thanks for the help
  • cpu8900cpu8900 Member Posts: 53
    Mine has done the "stall" then catch only twice in about 4000 miles.....but not at all in the last 2 months....when I asked the Toyota tech. he said it's the computer causing it....and said it's been reported quite frequently on this model.....not a problem unless it gets worse or more frequent.

Toyota engineers in their quest for superior mileage have the computer cut the fuel during deceleration.

Still very happy with mine and it's operation so far. The new after market alloy wheels handle and are just as smooth at 80 mph as the factory wheels.
  • replysamreplysam Member Posts: 1
    Hi i have 2009 corolla 8200 miles till date. lately my car is givng very low mpg in city 25 mpg, also when i press the gas it make lot of noise, I am not sure what is the problem and when the car is in idle state the rpm meter shows 2500 when on parking gear
    25/city sounds about right.
    as for "alot of noise" whats that mean?
    and 2500/parked, is the car warmed up? it often idles higher
    Yes, your exactly right with the mpg's. I do almost 100% city driving with my 2009 Corolla and get about 24-25 mpg. This is what I was expecting though. On the highway when I do take it out I can get almost 40mpg.
  • jpfjpf Member Posts: 496
    Even though it may be the same size engine, you need to make sure the bolt patterns match. Good luck.
  • cpu8900cpu8900 Member Posts: 53
    You need to get that car to the dealer ASAP. It should not be making all that noise, or idling at 2500 RPM. This will not clear up on it's own....and you might have the makings of a more severe problem.

Besides, it's under warranty so let the dealer make it right, that's what they get paid the big bucks for.
  • me8eme8e Member Posts: 7
    The forward angle of this monstrosity :mad: is really causing me some grief.
    I must have my head tilted forward to avoid contact with it and after a few miles I get a "crick" in my neck and shoulders . Dealer says ,"that is just the way they are".
    Does anyone have a similiar complaint...or is it only me ?
    I'm wondering if the curved tubular supports could be bent...or are there any headrests(that have straight supports) that can be exchanged ?
    TIA for any suggestions .
    try swapping the back headrests to the front
  • backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    The front headrests are "active", meaning they will protect front riders from neck injuries in a crash. (Note: the rear headrests are NOT "active" and will not provide similar protection for front seat occupants in a crash, if you were to move the rear headrests to the front--assuming that is even possible.) The front headrests have also apparently been designed to minimize the space between the rest and the head, again as a safety measure.

Have you tried adjusting the height of the headrest so the part that sticks out the most isn't aiming at the back of your head? Also, some active front headrests tilt. Have you tried grasping both sides of the headrest and trying to make it tilt fore and aft? If you haven't already checked the car's owner's manual, it might have some tips on adjusting the headrests for comfort.
  • pmk2pmk2 Member Posts: 3
    After sitting in my garage for 3 days, my Corolla LE (6000 miles) won't start. It comes close to turning over, but it won't go. The battery is strong. Any ideas??

I'm thinking that the problem could be bad gas, fuel injector problems, bad computer module, or a frozen fuel line.

Has anyone else had this problem?
    Wow! Highly unusual. With this low mileage I'm assuming this is an 2009? Call the dealer, don't assume it's your fault with bad gas. Let them come get it, it should be a warranty issue.
  • hunterwilhunterwil Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2009 Corolla S with a sunroof. There is a bad rattle noise coming from the roof, sounds like metal hitting metal. Happens all the time even at low speeds. I took it back to the dealer and they had to remove the headliner and said they heard the noise but did not find anything. For a few days after that I think it was okay, and thought it was resolved but the noise came back. If I press against the roof (metal) with the sunroof shade open (behind the sunroof), the noise stops. I am going to contact the dealer again and write to Toyota. Anyone else have this happen? Thanks...
  • jcardieljcardiel Member Posts: 4
    Hi All,

I have a hard time opening the trunk on my corolla 09 when the car has been outside on the sun for a while. I am afraid to break the key because of that. I took it to the dealer late on the afternoon and of course it opened nicely there. Maybe some very close tolerances on the lock cilinder ?
    I never really tried my trunk key, I've always used the keyless entry. I'll have to check it out.
  • sweetsegasweetsega Member Posts: 7
    I use the keyless entry, but I have noticed that my truck sticks from time to time, and I have to push down on it slightly after hitting the button on my key. It was a slight annoyance in the summer.
  • hunterwilhunterwil Member Posts: 2
    I'm having the same sunroof noise issue with my 09 Corolla S. It sounds like something is hitting the metal roof frame. I took it to the dealer and they did not find anything wrong. Just the other day, I made sure the rubber seal was on tightly and adjusted it in the back, and that seemed to help and I did not hear the noise for once.
  • toycorwwtoycorww Member Posts: 3
    I also have an 09 Corolla that sat in my garage for only one day and would not start. I had it towed to the dealer and the dealer said that I flooded the engine. I asked him how I could flood the engine when the only directions to start is to turn the key to crank the engine. My wife and I do not trust the car to start now since I was not really given a reason why it would not start.
  • toycorwwtoycorww Member Posts: 3
    I have an 09 Corolla and my dashboard rattles with 10,000 miles on it . I am taking it back to the dealer this week since it got worse in the cold weather. I am hoping they can stop the rattle without tearing the dashboard apart and making it worse.
    You gave him a very good response to his "flooding" comment. Did he have an answer to that? I hope they didn't charge you for the towing!
  • chrischris Member Posts: 9
    Hi! Anyone encountered a fan belt squeak when starting your new Toyota Corolla , As engine turns over it squeaks then immediately goes away (maybe 1 second). Only in the cold weather or damp weather
    Dealer tells me it is the expanding and contracting of belt (Heating and cooling)
    Appreciate any comments on this?
    Chris
    Yes, dealer is exactly correct. Very common in colder weather. Nothing to worry about. There is a spray on the market you could try to eliminate the noise or just get the belt tightened a bit. New belts should be retightned after 5000 miles anyway.
    Thanks Tom,
    Any idea of what that spray is called and who makes it?
    Chris
    I believe it's called "Belt Dressing" or "Belt eezz".
  • erikhaanerikhaan Member Posts: 29
    My gas door does not always open when I pull the trigger for it in the car. I usually have to pull the trigger rapidly four or five times to get the door to actually pop open. I often pull the trigger and I can see the door open in my rearview mirror while I have the trigger pulled but then I release the trigger and the door snaps shut again. I don't know if there is just not enough slack on the line or what. Does anyone have this happening and have a solution for it?

Thanks,
    Erik
  • sep1078ussep1078us Member Posts: 6
    Even by trunk door doesnt open if i pull the trigger, it is just 6 months old and how can this happen i used it very rarely to open the trunk, i allways use the remote to open it, will the dealer make it right with out chargeing me..
  • denvecsrdenvecsr Member Posts: 40
    Looked in the manual, couldn't find it. Trolley Jack you have to use the cup in the trunk, so it says.
    Thanks! Dealer looked at it and belt and tensioner in great shape,
    Anyone else out there have this problem on a new Toyota?
    Chris
  • bike471bike471 Member Posts: 2
    After sitting in my garage for 5 days, my 2009 Corolla S won't start. Battery is fine. Starts turning over but won't run. Temps were around 12 degrees F at night and around 25 when I tried starting it. Facilitating a tow to the dealer has been a nightmare to say the least.

Did you ever find out what caused the problem?
    Tom,
    The problem seems to be the drive belt and the dealer is replacing it on Monday so I will keeo my fingers crossed...
    Chris
  • pmk2pmk2 Member Posts: 3
    No, the dealer couldn't solve the problem. It hasn't happened since, but obviously it is an ongoing problem with these cars. The dealer acted like they have never heard of this problem.

I think it was something with the electronic key.
    I'm glad he found your problem and will take care of it on Monday. Hopefully it'll be tears until you have any other issue. I have a 2001 Corolla from new yet and only ever had one minor issue as well. Good Luck!
    Sounds like you and Bike 471 are having the same symptoms but could very well be two different problems. I highly doubt it's a "electronic key problem" if the car was turning over. Curious as to why you think that this one time your car wouldn't start is a common problem with the 2009 Toyota Corollas ???? Have you been reading something elsewhere you could share ????
  • chgowildcardchgowildcard Member Posts: 1
    All, I seem to have a temperature sensitve transmission. The last few days, my engine light has been going on and off. When my engine is cold, my reverse works perfectly. After 20 - 25 minutes of driving, the reverse stops working. My fluid levels are good and the transmission fluid is clean.

Anyone know why this happens or what the fix is?
  • bike471bike471 Member Posts: 2
    Dealer called today and said I have a "drive train issue." I was surprised to hear that considering it only has 15K. Week and a half w/out car due to holiday. I will update when I get a detailed report. All under warranty. I saw some other sites and seems a few others with 09s are having same problem. Love the car-until now. Hope this fixes the problem and there are no more!
    Definitely not a problem you should be having with a 2009 brand new Corolla. Did you take it to the dealer for warranty repair?
    Sounds like your a commuter with all that mileage on a 2009. Toyota trannys are usually very dependable. I hope it gets fixed soon for you. Keep us informed.
    I just put 5w-30 in my 2009 Corolla. Am I going to do damage to the engine?

Thanks,
    Erik
    I don't think you would hurt them engine, but you will void the warranty b/c it says in the book to use 0w-20 or 5w-20 synthetic. The dealers all use it unless you tell them not. You will also see a drop of about 2- 5 mpg on avg. It just better and cleaner, it will last 5000 unlike 5w-30 will only last for 3000 maybe 4000 if highway driving. 0w-20 will last 7000 but you need to go 5000 for the warranty part. It just safer to use what they tell you to use. The engine will also thank you after 150,000 to 400,000 or higher. Cleaner engine runs better!!
  • ahamilton1ahamilton1 Member Posts: 1
    I am going on a 700+ mile trip and i would like to track the relative difference in average fuel economy for this long distance trek as apposed to my average interurban 9-5 rat race. Is there any way to reset those numbers without simply disconnecting the battery? I would rather forgo resetting my touchscreen nav... it took me forever to get that thing configured the way I wanted :) thanks!

-Alex
    When you say that "all dealers use it", what grade oil are you refering to?
    They will use 0w-20 or 5w-20. They will never use anything but those because it what our car takes. Most will use 5w-20 because it a little cheaper than 0w-20. i pay 60 bucks for 5w-20. it be like 80 if i use 0w-20. 0w-20 is just a little better but you wont see the difference in mpg or anything so just do the 5w-20. that 60 is the oil change, tire rotation, top of fuilds, check all brakes and hoses, belts and air psi.
    I think it should be mentioned that Corolla owners should actually ask for the 0W-20 or the recommended full synthetic oil to be used in their cars because there have been reports on this forum of repair shops and even some Toyota dealers using the old dino oil of 5W-30 in the 2009 Corollas. You would think they would use the recommended oil but apparently some are not. Nothing should be taken for granted when getting your oil changed. Ask for the oil in the manual and if they do not use it go elsewhere to get your oil changed. Care should be taken especially at those 10 minute oil change franchises.
    I picked up oil and a filter from my local Toyota dealer and they gave me 5w-20.