Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2009 Toyota Corolla Problems and Repairs

Comments

• terceltomterceltom Member Posts: 1,024
    Yea, I believe 5W-20 is a recommended oil as well as 0W-20. Problem is with mechanics still wanting to use 5W-30 because that is what they usually buy in bulk.
  • joshuagjoshuag Member Posts: 92
    This seems how all Toyota dealers act when they have a car with a common problem, they act like you are the only one. We have a Toyota Avalon with a transmission glitch and Toyota acts like we are the only one, and if you read on this site about 2005-2008 Avalons they have a lot of problems. So tell them that you are on to their game.
    Actually the problem your having with your Avalon is well documented and widespread but other than the two people on this forum complaining about starting problems with their 2009 Corollas, there are no other documented complaints. This isolated starting problem does not seem to be widespread at all. This is just like the supposedly paint problem on the 2009 Corollas a handful of people on this forum complained about. Actually one Corolla owner wanted Toyota to recall all 2009 Corollas for repainting. This paint problem turned out not to be widespread at all. Your first instinct when you have a new car problem is to think that all that year model cars are having the same problems when investigation will usually prove otherwise. No new car owners want their new vehicles that they paid a lot of money for to be problem prone but isolated problems will always occur, even with the most dependable Toyotas.
  • jpeterjpeter Member Posts: 1
    Anyone can tell me what engine speed (rpm) shoudl be for 2009 Corolla LE Auto 75mph on regular freeway?

Thanks,
  • cpu8900cpu8900 Member Posts: 53
    Well....as they say hindsight is 20/20.....we all should have waited....Toyota is so desperate now the rebate is $1,300. I saw a report on CNN that Toyota had so many vehicles at the ports of entry they had to lease additional space to park all of them as they come off the boats since dealers couldn't take anymore.

Still, I've enjoyed mine since June and did get the 0% for 3 yrs.

My only single complaint after 4200 mi. is the engine RPM stumbles(drops from normal idle) very infrequently. It never stalls and quickly returns to normal idle and has done this only about 5 times. The dealer tech. says it's the computer and advised 5 times in 6 months/4200 mi. and no stalling does not require servicing.
    I'm glad at least you received the 0% financing. I on the other hand, did get a good price on my "09" XLE, but because of special features I wanted, I had to factory order it so I missed out on any rebates or special financing. But I had it since August and just love it. Concerning your idle problem, I would insist it gets looked at or repaired immediately. Even two times in six months is too much! You paid a lot of money for a new car that should be working perfectly, that is what the warranty is for.
  • nsidnsid Member Posts: 1
    twice now, my corolla just would not start. The ignition lights come on but the starter does not grind and the engine obviously does not start.. after about 5-6 tries, it just starts as if there was never a problem.... any ideas what could be causing this?
    What year?------------------------ Starter(rebuilt is cheap and easy to replace)
  • greg2222greg2222 Member Posts: 1
    i have a 1989 toyota corrola recently i had to replace a gasket and had to remove the distributer my problem is resetting the timing the engine istalled is a 4age can anyone assist in this procedure greg
  • BakkaBakka Member Posts: 12
    Have had my corolla since August '08. Have had one service, and now have nearly 8,000 miles on it. Over the past several months am experiencing an increasing small 'kneading, grinding, popping' type noise after start up in the front left engine area when the vehicle begins initial motion. It's not there while the vehicle is sitting still warming up. After awhile it diminishes and seemingly goes away.

This also occurs as an intermittent noise throughout the day, though does it more on cold mornings and on uneven ground. This happens on virtually every morning these days. It is quite enough to make you feel like something is getting ready to come apart.

(Note: Do not believe this is engine or transmission related.)

Am wondering if this is just a quirk in my vehicle, or are other owners beginning to find this to be the case with theirs?

Can it have anything to do with how the new electric steering works? Anyone have any ideas?
    Have had my Corolla since August also but only have 1800 miles on it so far. I have had no issues with my car. Did you take it to the dealer for them to check it out? Doesn't sound like a steering issue because the steering is all electronic, no hydraulics involved. Please let us know how you make out.
    Thank you for your relpy...

Yes, I have had it back to the South Orlando dealer one time. This was in the afternoon, after the vehicle was well warmed up, and had been used throughout the day.

The issue I'm dealing with was not recognizable at the time.

This is the reason I am posting on Edmonds. Shortly I will be in for the 10,000 mile service and plan to leave the vehicle with them over night. (...even If I have to take bus home...)

I have the 'S' model and like it, except for this issue. It is definitely a component that is not functioning correctly, and had gotten worse over time. Once this is solved, I'm sure the car will perform well into the future.

At your mileage, mine was not doing this... hopefully yours will not develop this issue.
  • 2009buyer2009buyer Member Posts: 15
    I have a brand new 2009 Corolla, under 1,000 miles on it, went to get in it, pressing key button would not open power locks, after manually unlocking, key would not turn in ignition. Called tow and they could not jump it or start it. Took to dealership , another owner was there, same problem. When it did run, lots of engine noise on driver side, did not get the 35 mpg gallon advertised. Does not stay straight on highway, have to hold steering wheel tight to keep straight forward path. Wish I had looked longer.

I am wondering if I bought a lemon.
    This is the second time I'm hearing about the engine noise on the left side. I have no idea what it might be. Please let us know what you find it is. Your lock problem is most likely with the key fob. Car will not take a jump when it won't open as it has an engine disabler to prevent theft. Your steering issue is just a matter of getting used to the new electronic steering. Some people like myself have found this to be a non-issue while others are having a hard time adjusting and find the "roving" frustrating. As far as gas mileage, you don't state what combined travel you do. On my 2009 I get about 22 mpg. with my 90% weekday city travel but when I go on vacation and use this car, mostly highway travel, I can get a minimum of 39 mpg. Please let us know how you make out and keep the faith. After you get these initial problems worked out and get used to the steering I'm sure you will be completely satisfied with your purchase. I know it's frustrating when you spend a lot of money on a new car and have problems right away but you can be sure you bought a well made safe car.
    Interesting issue with the key dilemma. How did the dealer solve it?

Agree with other owner that it takes getting use to the electric steering; that will come in time. Mine tracks true on the highway. Use it one day a week for a 175 mile commute and generally get better than 39 mpg for this. (No AC, windows down) Around my area for general driving the vehicle is producing better than 35 mgp. (Again, No AC, windows down)

Would like to know more about your noise on the left side for sure. Mine does not do it unless moving.
  • marie15marie15 Member Posts: 1
    I have had the same problem. After leaving my corolla sit for 3 or 4 days twice now it won't start. I have had it towed to the dealership and they can't find what is wrong. If you get any results please let me know and I'll do the same.
    Dealer said they are ordering main fuse. Said they don't have it. They have had the car since Monday and it is still sitting there. Is it normal to wait from Monday to Thursday to get a fuse for a Dealer Repair? What is going to happen when it is a major problem? If it is not covered by warranty I have to pay for the rental on the loaner that they gave me. Anyone out there had the expereince of being stuck without a car for four days because it needs a fuse? I am worried that this is a brand new car and I can't get any answers from them and can't get my car back. It is still sitting in the back lot for the fourth day today.
    Yea, waiting for a part from a Toyota dealership for more than 24 hours is unusual. When I order parts from my local Toyota dealers I don't wait more than 48 hours. This should be especially true with a newer car where the parts should be plentiful. Maybe their just stalling to come up a better reason for your car not starting.
    Terceltom- do you work for Toyota? You are always on this board answering.
  • mcdawggmcdawgg Member Posts: 1,722
    I think you should be getting a free rental car - see your owner's manual. I think it says that if the car has to be kept overnight you get a rental car.
    I'm not quite sure what your question of my employment status has to do with "Toyota Problems and Repairs". Do you have a particular question pertainant to Toyota problems you would like to ask me?
    Yes, this is a forum.

The assumption is that we are all Toyota owners except Pat and the other person whose name is listed who hosts this forum. It seems you tried to squelch one owners complaint, making it seem to me that you had a stake in what was posted. So yes, your employment status is a legitimate question here, I believe.

As an employee of or representative of Toyota, your responses are not of the same level of consideration as those of everyday owners such as myself.

Why don't you want to answer?
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Hi 2009buyer,

I'm sorry you've had a problem with your brand new Corolla and that your dealer wasn't able to fix it right away. You asked if it was normal to wait from Monday until Thursday - today is Thursday, have you gotten any word today on a status yet?

If you are not happy with this dealership, you might try another one. All dealerships are under independent management, so you might have better luck with another one.

Terceltom has been a big help to lots of posters here. I have no idea one way or the other for whom he works, but we welcome all helpful posts here from anyone who has thoughts about the questions - no matter where they work and no matter what vehicle they own. Please realize that personal information is revealed only at the poster's discretion. There is no requirement for it and in many cases, posters are wise to refrain from that for safety and privacy reasons.

Let us know how it goes for you.
  • mcdawggmcdawgg Member Posts: 1,722
    So did you check the warranty yet? I think you should be getting a free rental. Let us know.
    I understand that you are very upset about loosing access and having problems with your new car and as you should be, so I will not take issue with any of your invasiveness. I tried to help you by telling you that waiting four days for a Toyota part is very unusual. I would definitly take Pat's advice and take your car to another dealer.You are aware that all Toyota dealers will honor your warranty, right? You don't have to go back to the same one you bought the car from. Now, what I will tell you is that I am a proud and current owner of four Toyota vehicles. I have a 1986 Toyota Tercel (hence the "Terceltom"), a 2001 Toyota Corolla, a 2002 Toyota Celica and a 2009 Toyota Corolla. I also have a 1994 Plymouth Voyager, but I don't brag about that one. As you might be able to tell I JUST LOVE TOYOTAS. Being a proud Toyota owner has never kept be from being critical of them when I felt I should be, but when I hear total untruths about "Toyota's disregard for safety" or whatever, I will defend them as well. I feel my Toyota purchases have entitled me to express my oppinions however I wish. Now can we put my occupation to rest and get back on topic?
  • TimAmy20TimAmy20 Member Posts: 3
    I was wondering if the sqeaking on startup on your 2009 Corolla issue has been resolved? My mother bought one a little over a month ago and was told the squeak was not normal and was the serpentine belt, which they replaced. Since then the new belt squeaks periodically. She has spoken to both the Toyota service department and a couple of other mechanics. The mechanics have told her it is not normal and that the belt needs to be manually adjusted, but the Toyota service people told her it is normal and that they only replaced the belt because of her concern.

I would appreciate hearing if the sound you were dealing with was resolved and how.
  • chrischris Member Posts: 9
    Hi Tim/Amy,
    Yes, it has been resolved
    1.They replaced the drive belt (not serpentine) and it still squeaked.
    2. they tightened the bolts on the alternator
    and it has been fine since (even in -25 degree weather)
    Have them check bolts on alternator etc etc for tightness.
    Good luck!
    Chris
    Thank you!!! I'll pass the info on to my mom. Hopefully it's the same problem and it can be fixed. Appreciate the reply!
    Very good reply...

I, for one, appreciate your insights, and it is my opinion that many more do as well. (Almost wish you did work for Toyota.)

Have another 1200 miles to go before seeing the dealer and leaving the vehicle to have the left engine area noise issue resolved. (That is, unless something falls out while I'm driving before I reach the 10,000 mile mark.)

Stay committed, they are good cars..
    Actually the "serpentine belt" is the "drive belt", just different terminology. This belt drives the alternator, A.C. compressor, water pump and the vacuum pump. This belt can slip in colder weather causing the squeaky noise. This is not harmful, just annoying and usually disappears with the onset of warmer weather. Another thing that can cause slipping/noise with this belt is the tensioner. This tensioner is attached to the engine body and keeps pressure on this belt and is supposed to keep it from slipping/squeaking. Toyota has actually had some problems with these tensioners in past years and initiated some recalls and replaced many. It's always a good idea to get any unusual noise or problem checked out by your mechanic, especially with a new car that is still under warranty. They should resolve any new car noise you are having under warranty regardless of a real problem or not.
    Thanks so much for the info! I'll pass it on to my mom and I'm sure she'll be going back to the dealer to talk to them again.
  • erikhaanerikhaan Member Posts: 29
    I've been noticing lately that the washer fluid in my 2009 Corolla does not spray very high up on the windshield. Am I just noticing something that is normal, or is there possibly something wrong? :mad:

Thanks,
    Erik
  • mnfmnf Member Posts: 405
    Check the spray holes as they can get clogged very easy and mis direct the fluid.

Good Luck

MNF
    They can reaimed with a pin of something very sharp by inserting into the little hole and moving where you need it to spray. It could also be partially blocked remove the little hoses under the hood and check the tubing for blockage.
  • katsuurakatsuura Member Posts: 2
    I am having the same problem but the dealership assures me that is the way it is supposed to be. I will be trying an adjustment this weekend myself to see if it helps.
    I also find that the wipers do not do a very good job of keeping the windsheild clear. They have changed the blades and it is no better. The suggestion I was given was to go to Canadian Tire and buy new wiper blades.
    :mad:
  • backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    Is your car brand-new? It's possible that some of the protective coating used during shipment is still on the windshield. You might try cleaning it with good glass cleaner e.g. Bon Ami to see if that helps.

If the problem is clearing snow and ice (likely since you said "Canadian Tire"), you could get the special winterized blades that are available at any auto parts store.
  • katsuurakatsuura Member Posts: 2
    I got my car in July and the original blades did not clear the windsheild properly in the rain. They also splattered a lot. The replacements that the Toyota dealership put on are no better.
    Do you really think a consumer should have to purchase new wipers for a brand new car?
    I don't know if I mentioned it but I had an 05 Corolla and did not have this problem.
    I appreciate the comment about a protective coating, I will definitely look into that possibility...thanks.
  • backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    Do you really think a consumer should have to purchase new wipers for a brand new car?

No. And I never have over many years of car ownership. Which leads me to believe it's not the wiper blades, especially since a new set of blades didn't help.
  • louiezlouiez Member Posts: 1
    I find the position uncomfortable as well. The front headrests are supposed to go up and forward in a rear end collision to protect the neck. It already pushes my head forward as it is. If the active headrest works like it supposed to when I'm rear ended, it'll probably snap my neck off :cry:

The active mechanism from what I read is in the upper portion of the backrest. The headrest itself doesn't fold forward. It is triggered by pressure from the lumbar area on the backrest. It seems like the headrests have already been activated or have never been deactivated on installation. There is no reason the drivers and front passengers heads have to be in contact with the headrest in normal driving position. If the car was designed to be driven with your head resting on the headrest, there would be no need for an active headrest.

Another possibility is that the wrong headrests were installed or maybe the correct headrests were installed but Toyota did not install the active mechanism in the backrest. One thing for sure is the headrest position is WRONG both for comfort and function as an active headrest. Like I said, if your head is already tilted too far forward, any abrupt forward motion would injure your neck and not protect it.

If you feel something is wrong you should call Toyota Labor Relations and complain. You could get the 800 number from your dealer. They are very helpful and will contact your dealership so they could inspect your backrest/headrest promptly. More people should complain and not try a temporary fix like swapping the front to back headrest or removing it altogether.
    Did you do the adjustment?
  • krisgoldkrisgold Member Posts: 2
    I, too, got a crick in my neck due to the forward angle of the head rest (not to mention frequent headaches!). I found putting it on the lowest setting and tilting the seat back slightly helped immensely.
  • krisgoldkrisgold Member Posts: 2
    I've had my 2009 Corolla since Nov 2008. Approx one month after delivery (700 miles), the front brakes started making a grinding noise when stopping in reverse (backing out of driveway). The condition is most noticeable from a cold start. It makes a sound similar to ABS brakes when engaged but not as loud. After the car is warmed up (driving 5 miles at 35 mph), it isn't noticeable.

I've had it serviced three times and have been told it's just glazing on the brake pads and they (brakes and rotors) have to warm up. The brake pads have been replaced. Has anyone else had this problem?

My concern is that the grinding sound is actual damage occuring that won't be an issue until after the warranty runs out. I tend to keep my cars a long time though my last one was a Honda (14+ years).
    Rest assured that if you really have some kind of mechanical problem I'm sure it will reveal itself within the next 35,300 miles or November of 2011.
    I have experienced this, too, with my 2009 Corolla and other previous cars. Nothing to worry about. The technician(s) you spoke with is / are correct!

:)
    I'm 6' and the headrest in my 2009 Corolla is a non-issue for me. I keep mine all the way down.
  • brulebrule Member Posts: 22
    I hope you smart folks can help. I have many never toyota's another with EPS with no problems. I test drove 3 other 2009 Corolla's with no issue. It's only on this 2009 Corolla purchase just days ago. It will not track true, either steer to the left or right. The steering is a cause for concern on my long 200 mile trips. It seems like I am trying to balancing a pipe on top of a beach ball, it tries to roll to either side. The Toyota service says everything is up to specs and it's a common issue with the new EPS as of date found nothing wrong. I have dropped it off again and left the car long term to see if they can find anything wrong. The service manager suggested for me to let 2 lbs of air of the front tires to 30 lbs. Thanks :mad: :lemon:
    There have been numerous complaints about this characteristic of the new EPS on the 2009 Corolla. I for one, have found this to be a non-issue with my XLE. Yours however is puzzling because you seemed not to be bothered by this with the other Corollas you test drove. Sounds like to me that your car might have some kind of problem. I'm sure you mentioned to the Toyota Technician that you have not experienced this with the other 2009 Corollas you test drove. Perhaps you could try another Toyota dealership and see what they say. Other than that I would just keep pushing the dealership where you purchased the car for some kind of resolution or correction. Please keep us informed.
  • brulebrule Member Posts: 22
    I sure will. It's still in the Toyota Dealer for longer then I have drove it. I hope they get it fixed really soon. My rent car is costing me alot of money.
    Are you aware that Toyota should supply you with a rental car under your warranty coverage when you are having a problem that necessitates that your car be kept for longer than a day?