Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

2009 Toyota Corolla Problems and Repairs

Comments

• Options
    erikhaanerikhaan Member Posts: 29
    Does anyone know how to turn off the "Maint Reqd" light? It came on when my 2009 Corolla S approached 15,000 miles. I had my brother, a technician, do the scheduled maintenance so I wouldn't have to bring it to a dealership.

I'm thinking a dealership will charge me to turn off the light.

Thanks,
    Erik Haan :D
  • Options
    vchengvcheng Member Posts: 1,284
    I think it goes like this, but please confirm it in the manual.

Leave odometer on mileage reading. Turn igntiion to "on" but do not start while holding down the odometer reset knob. Keep pressing knob until the odometer digits flash a series of dashes and stop. Release knob and turn ignition off.

The Maint Reqd light show now be reset for 5000 miles. (I think that each dash displayed is 1k miles, so if you want an earlier reminder, say 3k , you can let go of the reset knob earlier. You cannot set an interval longer than 5k miles though.)
  • Options
    brulebrule Member Posts: 22
    Thank you for the infomation:

I had no idea.
    thanks,

FYI: Still still at the Toyota Shop (I now have it longer then I have ever drove the new car) :lemon: :lemon:
  • Options
    sweetsegasweetsega Member Posts: 7
    Anyone else have issues with their hubcaps rusting on their 09 Corollas? I have about 12,000 miles on my car, and I have a lengthy commute to work. Given that I live in Vermont, I try to keep my car washed as often as possible due to all the salt that's used on the highways. Still, I was disappointed to see a lot of rust on my two back tires this morning; it's concentrated around the outer rim. Suggestions? Thanks.
  • Options
    I really nope they get the steering issue fix. It's like something takes control of my steering and tries to drive me off the road. :lemon:
  • Options
    USA2007USA2007 Member Posts: 10
    Try to just used to the wheel. Always use both hands if the steering starts to pull.
  • Options
    Our Toyota Corolla Club have reported to Toyota the new EPS months back.
  • Options
    terceltomterceltom Member Posts: 1,024
    But it seems that the characteristics of the EPS on the 2209 Toyota Corolla are either enjoyed by many, just accepted by others and disliked by some. Therefore, I guess it's safe to say that the acceptance of the EPS is just a matter of opinion. Then you have the drivers that say they have experienced this "drift" in some of the 2009 Corollas they have test driven but not others. So some might ask is this just a problem with some of the 2009 Corollas but not all of them? Could it be faulty installation in some? or perhaps defective parts in others? I still say it's the ability of the driver to adapt, accept and enjoy. I for one, just love the ease of the steering and the ability to control the car with so little effort. I have never experienced any drift whatsoever. Toyota is not the first automaker to use this new Electronic Power Steering.
  • Options
    cpu8900cpu8900 Member Posts: 53
    I've had my 09 Corolla since last Jun.

It took a couple of weeks to get use to this new steering since I previously drove a Malibu and it felt 100% different on the road.

I've taken several long trips and now I really enjoy the way the Corolla steers and handles. No problems with drift as discussed before.
  • Options
    Hello Toyota Corolla 09 folks,
    :mad:
    We have almost the same problem with our new Corolla (2009). Toyota service told me it a normal steering (issue) problem with this year of car. So far there is no fix that they can do. I think I am driving a shopping basket at 60 mph speeds. My car wanders all over the road.
  • Options
    Are you saying that the Toyota dealer told you that "this a problem with these cars " or did he say"this normal for these cars"? Perhaps you got one of these cars that are having this issue. Most of these new Toyotas are not having this "drift" as your is. Must be just a small percentage of them. I hope they fix it for you. I have not experienced any of this "drift"with my new Corolla XLE.
  • Options
    Hello Tom,

I too have a problem with my "EPS" on my 2009 Toyota Corolla. I drove 4 of the same model and year. The one I have pulls to the left or right when going about 40-60 miles in hour. Toyota says nothing wrong. But they can't supply me with any specs. They just write down it's ok. But I am really scared me or my wife will crash. I pray others report the issue on http://www.safercar.gov/ .
  • Options
    Sorry to hear that! Could it be that your car is just drifting to the natural crowning on the road?
  • Options
    I am taking your advice (Attitude + patience). a Toyota Factory Rep will inspect my 2009 Toyota Corolla after 13 days of sitting at the dealer. I have a steering issue that looks like software (EPS) Steering system. It pulses or grabs my wheel and try to want to go in random directions. I think I have a ghost in my car. :lemon:
  • Options
    ee2007ee2007 Member Posts: 2
    Hello. I have a 2009 Corolla LE that has some type of ticking coming from under the hood when the car is accelerating. I can usually hear it when starting from a stop - more so on a hill. When at idle or if I step on the gas when in park, there is no unusual noise. I do not hear the sound at higher speeds. I have only owned the car for a month and starting hearing the noise after a couple of weeks. I took it to the dealership, they looked it over and they said that the engine is fine. It sounds odd to me though - sort of like a sound I remember from years ago - the sound of a lifter. Of course I am not a mechanic, but it doesn't sound right to me. Has anyone experienced this sort of noise in a 2009 Corolla? Thanks
  • Options
    BakkaBakka Member Posts: 12
    Hello ee2007:

Last month on Jan 19, I posted a question in regard to engine area noise on the left engine side of my 'S' model. At the time it had 8,500 miles on it. This noise developed over time, starting small and became far more annoying. Like you, I did not hear it sitting still or at high speed. No one on the forum had a good idea at that time what it might be, and I knew it was not the engine, transmission or the steering. So I dealt with it for almost another month.

Two weeks ago on a first time around test drive the service manage for my dealer did not hear it.

Last week at the 10,000 mile service I asked for the car to be closely inspected while it was up on the lift. It took three 'techs' to figure it out but I believe they have it, and have seemingly fixed the issue.

This is where it was; in the suspension. Parts replaced were: strut absorber assembly, support sub-assembly, and the dust seal.

My adivce is to try to eliminate what you know it is not, and go from there. Be persistant and I'm sure in time your serivce department will be able to work out what it is. Let us know.
  • Options
    ee2007ee2007 Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for your reply. I looked back at your 1/19 post and it does not seem that we are having the same problem. The sound my car makes is more of a ticking sound and seems to be in sync with the rpms. When I can hear it, the sound becomes more rapid as I accelerate. Once the gear changes (probably from 1st to 2nd), I can still hear the sound but it is not as rapid. The ticking again is more rapid as I accelerate through this gear. At speeds past the first 2 gears, the sound is either gone or there is too much other noise to hear it. I will post with a solution if I ever get one. Thanks again.
  • Options
    Why not try another Toyota Dealer? Warranty Coverage applies.
  • Options
    Toyota knows about the steering issue and are looking for a firmware solution. Make is less reactive above 55 mph or so. If it's a problem you should let the government :mad: website for cars know. I am going to list mine like others have.
  • Options
    Note : This only seems to be an issue in a small percentage of new Corollas? But when it's your own, it sucks!
  • Options
    Just a heads up. Someone else has just posted a problem (March 4) on the NHTSA.GOV website for this issue. Now it's up to 24 complaints and it's only the 3rd month of 2009. I got mine fixed but it cost me about $1000 and Toyota would not cover it since it was "within tolerance". If they EVER issue a recall I am going to turn in my $1000 bill.

Ed :mad:
  • Options
    Hi, Ed.

Can you please provide us a link to the NHTSA.GOV page where we can file complaints?

Thanks,
    Erik
  • Options
    The 2009 Corollas have been out for how long? About 9 months now? You gotta admit 24 out of about 800,000 cars sold so far is really a small percentage. But I understand how you feel, that's why I said if it's your car that's having this problem then it really sucks. I guess I'm one of the luckier ones. I had my 2009 Corolla XLE for about 8 months and this has never been an issue. In fact my wife and I love the ease of steering with the new EPS. Good Luck, and I hope yopu get your $1000.00 back from Toyota.
  • Options
    I had the same issue. I got it fixed but Toyota charged me $1000 since it was within specification but I just wanted it to drive straight. If Toyota issues a recall I am turning in the $1000 plus the tax. Toyota customer support would not pay since there was "Nothing wrong" and was "normal".
    :mad:
  • Options
    Thanks for your help TercelTom..
  • Options
    I guess Toyota must think their sales are better
    now even though they were down AGAIN for Feb.
    another 40% from last yr.

They reduced the Corolla rebate from $1,300 to $1,000.

The showrooms are still like ghost towns. Stopped at
    mine last week and it looked just like it did in Jan......empty....the only customers there were the
    ones sitting in the service waiting area....all 3 of them.

Salesperson said he's never seen anything like this.

On another note the new car issue of Consumer Reports for April has very favorable things to say about the 09 Corolla and lists it as one of the best new cars under $20,000. It's also a recommended model in the Profiles section.

Those that wait for the 2010 Corolla will get the Vehicle Stability Control (VSC) standard which reduces the risk of a fatality in a serious accident and will be mandatory in all vehicles by the end of this decade.
  • Options
    I am looking forward to the Corolla 2010. I bight trade my 2009 in for this.

I had a steering problem with mine. It cost me about $1000 and now I am happy with my 2009 Corolla. Some of the Toyota Corolla's steer just fine - others have a problem. I think they didn't use the same parts or change mid-year?
  • Options
    After getting your "09" steering straight and working well why take another big hit on the deppreciation of the "09" for a "10" in this poor economy. The body style is staying the same and the only difference is the Vehicle Stability Control (VSC) as a standard feature vs. an optional item? Of course we do need people like you to stimulate this ever failing economy.
  • Options
    That's right....the info. I have says other than cosmetic changes the Corolla will undergo the next major body style change in 2013.

As for going from 09 to a 10 model they might as well open the window and throw out the first year's depreciation of about $1500-2500, plus the new
    one that he just bought.
  • Options
    Anyone have a 2008 for sale? I hate my 2009. I saw that the safecar dot gov has about 30 complaints with Toyota. If any of you have a problem with the steering please let users know. :mad:
  • Options
    I am not getting anymore rattles. But my steering wheel is still drives all over the road. I put a complaint on the safecar gov website along with 30 other folks.
  • Options
    You can find a few more steering complaints on the earlier pages of this forum.
  • Options
    Hello Gang,

I will find the website but someone modified the EPS Power steering and made it much less responsive at highway speeds but I would be toooooo scared to hook up an computer to my car. So I guess a "firmware hack" and fix the response.
  • Options
    Yikes.....hooking up your own laptop to reprogram the software.....now that sounds scary.....I can't imagine
    anyone thinking they have the expertise or experience
    of a factory trained tech. using Toyota equip. to perform
    a task as critical to safety as steering.

Reminds me of a plumber trying to remove a
    brain tumor.
  • Options
    plaughlinplaughlin Member Posts: 2
    Hello. My name is Paul. I am writing in regards to my 09 Toyota Corolla LE. I would first like to say this is the third toyota I have owned and will keep buying toyota. They make a wonderful product!

Anyways...I am having some issues with my new car, which I have had about a 2 months. I am trying to see if I am being too picky in general or if there is an issue(s) with the vehicle. I have taken it in once to have it checked and they told me it is fine. So I thought I would try another avenue.....

Here are the issue(s):

1. When I start the car in the morning it kinda chugs while still sitting in park. It only does this when I first start it while sitting in park. Sometimes I am getting situated in the car or doing whatever in the morning while it warms up and the "chugging" feeling over and over is annoying.

2. I have never experienced this on my other toyota's...but....When I am coming to a stop. The car will downshift through each gear (obvious I know but I am trying to be specific). As it dowshifts from 2nd to 1st (around 10 mph) it kinda shimmy's down into first gear. It is not a smooth transition. That is the best I can explain it. The other gears just downshift with one swift movement. However for some reason almost always.....it will "shimmy" when going from 2nd to first. I am also confused bec. it does this most times but not always.

3. Also during the stopping.....Right when the car is reaching the complete stop....the car kinda "shimmys" again. Now I notice while stopped the car kinda vibrates some, which seems normal. So I don't know if the last "shimmy" is due to the car going from in motion to no motion.....I dunno. This "shimmy" is very noticeable and sometimes I can feel it move (shimmy/vibrate) from the front of the car back. But it feels like something with the engine/motor.

Overall I just feel that this is annoying to me. lol. Each time I stop (almost always) I get a shimmy from 2nd to 1st then another shimmy of sorts right when I stop. I find myself so frustrated annoyed with it. None of my other toyota's have done this before.

I first wanted to see others' feedback to see if they have experienced this and perhaps it is just the way the engine/transmission function...or perhaps there is a true issue with my car. Either way I am looking to see if any of you are experiencing this.....or would know what is going on.

Regardless I do love toyota and happy with the product overall. It is a nice car...

SOS! What is going on with my car??? Thank you all!

Paul
  • Options
    Nope, never experienced anything like that with my new Corolla. I would definitely take it to another Toyota Dealer and go along for the test drive with him.
  • Options
    Not sure why anyone would want your cars steering less responsive. EPS is a great new idea. I love being able to direct my car with the ease of just a finger tip. To totally do away with the hydraulics of the steering system like Toyota did is a great idea.
  • Options
    Someone turned off the EPS Power Steering and showed good results. It made the car not veer or turn by itself. If anyone finds the website or blog again.. please let us know. Basically at HWY Speeds you don't need the EPS and makes it drive just like an older Corolla and you get better MPG since it's not taxing on the alternator :surprise: .
  • Options
    Actually having the EPS itself on will give you better gas mileage than the former old hydraulic system. One of the advantages of electric power steering is that it eliminates the power steering pump, which can use as much as 8 to 10 horsepower under load. This improves fuel economy while also eliminating the weight and bulk of the power steering pump and hoses. The EPS motor is actually mounted on the steering column and is not motor driven like the old hydraulic pump system. Your alternator, in contrast, is actually motor driven and can not be turned off and on to prevent motor load which lowers gas mileage. Current flow from the alternator does not affect gas mileage. Electrical power for your car is supplied by the alternator. Essentially a small generator, the alternator is powered by a fan belt driven by the engine. As long as the engine is running the alternator creates electrical energy, whether you have the EPS, radio, heater fan, or any other electrical item on or not. Outflow is controlled by the regulator. Some of the flow is directed back to the car's battery, to keep it charged and to replenish the energy you sapped by starting the vehicle. In any case, what you have turned on isn't going to affect the engine's spinning or have any effect on gas mileage. So in summary, no, turning off the EPS will not lower gas mileage as you stated.
  • Options
    I would take it to the dealer as soon as possible and take them for a drive.....that's why you have a warranty for these items.

Mine had a very infrequent engine stumble at idle after it was warm while in drive or reverse. After taking it in the problem has not returned since then. They only told me they made some "adjustments".
  • Options
    gmbailey21gmbailey21 Member Posts: 3
    So is this something that everyone is seeing, or just some people? Does 16 allow wheels make the issue less evident? Does VSC make it worse or better?

Here is an article on how to fix the issue, but it looks like you'd need to know a bit more than I do about cars to do it:

http://autospeed.com/cms/A_2390/article.html

Thanks!
  • Options
    Understand doing this will most definitely VOID your new cars warranty.
  • Options
    Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    If you give a dealer a loophole to void a warranty claim, they'll take it.

I don't think messing with the steering can legally allow the dealer or manufacturer to void a claim on say the engine or brakes, but certainly could with anything to do with steering or the electrical system.
  • Options
    vchengvcheng Member Posts: 1,284
    .... any insurance hassles if you have an accident and the insurance company takes the stance that the unauthorised modification has a role to play.
  • Options
    While not being a legal authority, I on the other hand believe it would be relatively easy for a dealership to link many issues to the unauthorized altering of something as crucial as the steering of the car. In fact I would think braking would be one of the easiest issues to link with the EPS.
  • Options
    I'd like to see that one fly in court.

"Your brake rotors are gouged out because you changed a wire in your power steering"?

Or "AHA---THAT'S why your left rear door lock broke!"

I mean, you're right, they might TRY but I think one call from an attorney would fix that. Laws governing warranties are pretty specific and thorough.
  • Options
    Rotors are a wear and tear part not covered by the warranty in the first place unless very premature. On the contrare though I could see brake parts not being by covered by warranty because of steering misadjustments by the owner. And I do agree that automobile warranties are "pretty specific and thorough", but to the manufacturers favor not the owners favor as you would suggest.
  • Options
    I guess if the "drifting" were driving me crazy and if Toyota couldn't come up with a fix, I might get desperate and try something.
  • Options
    I will give this a shot (after check my manual, of course)!

Thanks!
    Erik

:)
  • Options
    I would have to agree with you on that. I consider myself one of the lucky ones as I see the EPS as a definite plus on my "09"XLE.