Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2009 Toyota Corolla Problems and Repairs

Comments

• brulebrule Member Posts: 22
    Do you know if my power steering problem with because whistleblower lawsuit for permitting "known defect's" ? It cost me money and could result in a death of my traded in Toyota Corolla 2009 :lemon:
  • mnfmnf Member Posts: 405
    Sounds like you are not going to resolve your issue with your Corolla i do belive you may have a car with issues. There has also been of thousands and thousands with a out a problem. I have 11,000 miles with no issues in fact i like the way the steering feels. If i were you i would bite the bullet and sell it trade it or what ever you have to do. Its not worth the headache that you are having. Be glad its not a Ford or Gm with a issue the resale would be even worse.

Good luck
    MNF
  • thefrainthefrain Member Posts: 4
    I have the same type of car with 200 miles. I hear the same noise. To me sounds like paper rubbing agains sandpaper. its nonly noticeable when radio is off windows are up and i'm moving the steering wheel without moving the car. Anybody else hears this in their 2009 corolla?
  • USA2007USA2007 Member Posts: 10
    I would like to say it was "Malfunction" before the steering jerked out of my hand. I notice the interference on AM 550. I reported my issue to NHTSA and Toyota called me and they got it fixed. (Even when the dealer seem, too)

Toyota is really a great Company! The customer support was not much help.
  • thefrainthefrain Member Posts: 4
    so you heard the steeing wheel make noise and then something happen to jerk out of your hand? I hope mines doesn't do that.
  • orlando0213orlando0213 Member Posts: 9
    Good luck i was having the same issues and was told after the 5th or so attempt to get it fixed that there was no more time for my car whet there are other cars that they have to work on.. Also already have the radio replaced once and still have problems with it..
  • orlando0213orlando0213 Member Posts: 9
    Good luck i was having the same issues and was told after the 5th or so attempt to get it fixed that there was no more time for my car whet there are other cars that they have to work on.. Also already have the radio replaced once and still have problems with it..
  • terceltomterceltom Member Posts: 1,024
    Lousy attitude for them to have but I would try another dealer. Still covered under warranty and no charge to you.
  • brulebrule Member Posts: 22
    I suggest if you have a problem with your 2009 Toyota Corolla you need to report the issue. If you don't then nothing will be done. "It's not a problem if not in writing" me guess.

link
    http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/index.cfm
    No problem here! I love my 2009 XLE
  • mnfmnf Member Posts: 405
    ditto here my 2009 LE 11,000 miles no issues :P
  • denvecsrdenvecsr Member Posts: 40
    terceltom, you still did not answer the question.

Do you work for Toyota?
  • irismgirismg Member Posts: 345
    Hello TercelTom. I have a few thoughts on things like rattles and headrest issues and electric steering and such.

I think a lot of the problem is that if you're like me and you don't buy a car except for every ten years or so, you don't realize when you buy even the current model of the one you had that you may have to re-learn how to drive the car. Because they don't tell you! There's been a lot of changes since my '98 Corolla came out, not the least of which is it's not as Japanese a car as it used to be, which may to my mind explain some of the production issues Generation X is having. It doesn't really matter how many were sold, it doesn't matter how many complain or don't complain, people tend to be rather apathetic and may be relying upon others to do the complaining, who knows. Bottom line is, when it's happening to your own car, you don't really want fanboy responses, you want concrete answers. You want to be able to determine whether maybe it's a question of reading the manual more thoroughly, because driving is not as intuitive as it once was, or is there a real problem that may end up costing someone dearly. I don't care if it's one car out of a million having problems - when people buy a Toyota, they're looking for a car that they would buy if it didn't come with a warranty at all. Otherwise, it might as well be a Chevy.
    I suspect with all the positive responses concerning the new EPS steering or even the fact that it might be just one out of a million cars affected, as you threw out there, you would come to realize that this not an issue with all new Rollas. It's either an individual sporadic problem or a driver preference issue. Perhaps you think this is just a b**ching forum for those of you that want to just bash Toyota, or think that your problem is everyone's problem, but it's open to us "fanboys" as well. I believe I had given many pieces of "concrete answers" to many posters on this forum and if I had a concrete answer to your steering problem I would give you one too. But I, like others, do not have an answer for this phenominum. By the way, do you really have to be told to read your manual thoroughly when you buy a new car?
    Well, I've been visiting forums such as this for years now and know there are both kinds, and the fanboys are by far the least helpful when someone is having a problem, in my view. They tend to act like sales reps whose sales might plummet whenever someone is having a problem or whenever someone is worried about a problem someone is having. Worse, they seem to denigrate someone's problem by saying something akin to, "well, MINE doesn't do that, and just look at how well it's selling," which doesn't really help the people having a problem, in my own personal view.

But you're right, there are both kinds here. I believe there are also the people who simply want to communicate with others who are having the same problem to try to effect a solution, not to be "sold" on the make or model.

Yes, I believe people do have to be told to read the manual, because people my age may not know that the way cars work changes so radically in such a short period of time. I know people who have never read the manual. And frankly, I don't think I ever did for my current car which is now 11 years old.

The last two times I rented a car, I never read the manual, either. As long as I knew where the lights and wipers were, how to turn on the radio, and leave the key fob alone, it was fairly intuitive still. Therefore, I don't believe people who don't read a car's owners' manual are all that unusual.
    His some "concrete" advice for ya!

If you ever spend 20K on a new car again, for heaven's sake, read the manual. You'd be surprised how far we've come. You might just solve some of your own problems rather than asking someone else "to effect a solution" for ya.
    Well, first of all, I've never bought a new car, and I've never spent $20K on one and never will, if I can help it. At any rate, except other than a latch that won't work, I'm not having much problem; it's others with the 10th generation Corolla that are having the problems.

I am watching to see what they end up doing to fix their problems, since my last two cars were a faux Corolla and a real one, and I'd personally like to see them get answers without personal biases getting in the way, because it is discouraging. I personally would have to experience electric steering for myself to see whether I'd even want a car that had it, but then if someone wants a newer Corolla, they have no choice in that matter.

Brand loyalty, then, is not a smart consumer choice in that case, but ultimately, in my view, it's up to the consumer what they'll be able to live with. Test drives really don't give people enough time, especially with some salesman yammering all the time. Sometimes you just don't know until you take it home.
  • erikhaanerikhaan Member Posts: 29
    What is the latch problem you're having?
    Hi. This isn't really the thread to talk about it, but my car's a Corolla, 11 years old, and when you pull on the door handle from the inside it won't open. Dealer said it'd cost about $500 to fix because there's an assembly of some kind that the rod goes into that has to be replaced. Needless to say, I refused their offer to fix it for that much! LOL
    are you talking about the silver metal clip or something black on the cannister itself? i was under my car for an hour trying to get it off with the 65 mm 14 flute removal toll that is talked about here. it kept slipping off. my channel lock didn't fit either. i ended with changing my oil without changing the filter.
    are you talking about the silver metal clip or something black on the cannister itself? i was under my car for an hour trying to get it off with the 65 mm 14 flute removal tool that is talked about here. it kept slipping off. my channel lock didn't fit either. i ended with changing my oil without changing the filter.
  • drw09xrsdrw09xrs Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2009 Corolla XRS.I have noticed my front tire on the driver side wearing on the outer edge.Only,have 10,000 miles on it.Got tires rotated yesterday and 100 miles later,this tire doing same thing.Could this be an alignment problem,as soon as 10,000 miles?Would,the dealer,take care of this adjustment?Also,has anybody else,have spider web scratches on car's paint?Dealer,says it is caused by the shrink wrap,they use in shipping.They did say however,they are going to fix it.
    Check your manual. I believe uneven, premature tire wear has some kind of warranty coverage. Definitely sounds like some kind of alignment problem, dealer should stand good for this. Scratches should be able to be buffed out.
  • cpu8900cpu8900 Member Posts: 53
    Don't spend $40 for that "special oil filter tool" Toyota wants to sell you. I've seen it and it's just a multipointed star socket that correctly fits the cap. Probably cost Toyota $3.95 from their supplier. Just remove the cap using an adjustable "band type" filter tool that fits it. These cost just a few dollars at Pep Boys/Walmart. Since these come in several different sizes you may have to measure it. I didn't have to buy one since the one I had from changing filters on my previous Malibu fit fine.

I've changed my oil filter twice so far and the filter wrench works like a charm. Don't worry about the 5 lb. torque tightening the factory says....just tighten the cap until it bottoms out against the block and snug it up....remember your dealing with aluminum here.

Be sure to use a new cap "O" ring well coated with oil each time you replace the filter. Do not cut or nick the O ring during installaton. The auto parts stores should start carrying the filter kit soon. When I bought my Corolla last June I bought several filter kits from the dealer for $6.95 each.
    Don't buy the wrench that's 65mm-67mm. as this will slip. You have to have the wrench that is 65mm. exactly. Count the flutes on your wrench, is there 14? This tool is only about $4.00 at Advance or Auto Zone and will fit much better then a strap wrench. Remember, this filter cannister your loosening is only plastic and with a strap wrench you'll risk cracking the plastic cannister. Also, do not overtighten as you can very easily mash the O-ring. After it makes contact, go another quarter turn.
    Thanks for the info....I didn't even know the correct size removal tool was available at those parts stores....I'll look for it next time I go to my Advance store.

It's highly unlikely that I'd crack the cannister using my band wrench.....in fact due it's equal pressure over the 360 deg. of the cap with minimal force it"s suited quite well for this task. Remember how well these wrench's perform removing the standard spin-on cannister filter without collapsing them. I will admit to that an inexperienced mechanic could quickly get in trouble.

The biggest advantage to using the correct size cap removal tool as you described is the ability to use a torque wrench and tighten it to the factory 5 lbs.
  • dms13dms13 Member Posts: 5
    Hi all!

I woke up this morning got ready for work and went to leave and my little Corolla S wouldn't start! :mad: I've had it a year this week and have not had any problems at all, no rattles, squeaks etc.. I moved it saturday and it ran just fine but it sat for the most part over this last 3 day weekend. I know the oil needed to be changed and was going to do that at lunch today but looks like that won't happen. I seriously doubt the fact that it needed an oil change is the problem...
    I had read that some others have had this issue and was wondering if they ever found out what the problem is/was. My husband was already gone so he couldn't check the battery etc. so i had to wiggle his Tundra out of the garage and around my little sad Corolla so i could get to work. I live in Texas and noticed that the folks who had the problem seemed to have been up north where it gets pretty cold.
    Ugh, it's just frustrating
    Sorry about your starting problem......It could be many things and you didn't give enough info. to guess what it might be for us keyboard mechanics......

1. Did the lights/gauges work?
    2. Did it even crank at all?
    3. Sounds silly...but fuel level?

Anyway....just call your dealer and I'm sure they'll have someone come to diagnose/repair/tow to the dealer at no charge to you. And if they can't repair it the same day be sure to DEMAND a loaner at no charge.
    Sorry, yes the lights worked, the gauges worked the poor thing would just try to start each time i turned the key. I didn't hear any grinding noise or funky rumble from under the hood..she just quit. Hubby is on his way home now to look at it and see if he can figure it out. If it's the battery no biggie..i guess i will soon see. Oh and it was a full tank of gas I just filled her up on Thursday.
    By the way, the battery IS covered under the warranty.
  • carfreak189carfreak189 Member Posts: 31
    I have 2009 Corolla XRS 5 speed automatic. I have 10,500 miles on it and I have had this transmission issue since I got the car. At times, while accelerating onto highways the car does not downshift. The car stays in 3rd gear up until 4,000 RPM. I can shift it by putting it in sport mode and shifting manuly. It only does it sometimes but it does not seem normal. Took it for my 1st service visit dealer said no codes came up on the computer and maybe it needed to be broken in. Went for 2nd service dealer told me no codes and no problems. I then wrote a letter to Toyota under the lemon law since it had 2 failed attempts at fixing it. They contacted me and it really does not fall under a lemon but the head tech guy for the northeast will look at it a week from thursday. He again said this may be normal. I do not see how it is normal. Does anyone else have the same problem with their 09 corolla/matrix XRS automatic transmission? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Is it because it is a four cylinder that it has these problems? Usually it shifts correctly but I feel there is a defect but they said the computer would have codes stating problems and it does not.
  • gmbailey21gmbailey21 Member Posts: 3
    I too have had this issue with my wife's 09 Corolla LE Auto, the dealer quickly told me that it is by design that when the engine is not warmed up, it doesn't shift into 4th so that the engine warms up faster and emissions are reduced faster. Personally, it didn't happen to me on most cold mornings, and has only happened a few times, so if it is "by design", it doesn't work properly. The dealer may just be trying to pacify me with an answer that sounds somewhat reasonable. In the end, its my wife's car. I wouldn't have ever bought it myself. The build quality isn't as good as the old one (2006) and there is a lot of annoying stuff (oil filter, this transmission "feature", wind blows it all over the road, clock is put in a ridiculous position, thin fabric on the door panels, poor cup holder design, reflection at night from rear defroster, worse gas mileage (06 would get 36 on the highway, this gets 33), etc.) that I wouldn't have put up with. The heated mirrors and traction control made my wife decide to go this route, I would have bought a civic, but she was afraid that she'd pull the low front end into a parking block and didn't like the headrests. If anyone knows for certain if the transmission thing is by design, please post back for us. To the fanboys, yup we know you love your car, no need to post about that yet again. Please keep it to the facts.
  • mcdawggmcdawgg Member Posts: 1,722
    If you check the owner's manual (always good to read for "facts" and other good information), you will see that it says that the transmission will not shift into OD until the engine is warmed up. This has been a feature for at least 8 years. It is an emissions thing.

What's wrong with the oil filter? From what I read, it is easy to change and environmentally friendly. You just need the correct wrench.

Some people complain about "wind blows it ..." but this complaint has been around for years, even before the 10th generation was available.

Gas mileage? Too many variables to comment.
    I would have to agree with everything "McDawg" said including how important and useful reading the manual could be. I could never understand while someone would invest almost 20K in a car and not read about the features or operating instructions. I guess it's just a macho thing. As far as the oil filter goes I think it's just another one of Toyota's great innovations. Why keep polluting our environment with the Civic style metal canister type oil filters when the new Toyota Corolla design is totally degradable? This is just a another example of Toyota be able to build a much lighter, greener car to obtain the better gas mileage that you're striving to get and keeping the price down and protecting our environment at the same time.
    "Fanboy"
  • gmbailey21gmbailey21 Member Posts: 3
    Thanks for the reply from McDawg, though I don't agree with everything that you said, I appreciated your tone.

To terceltom, if you had read my post, you'd see that the 09 corolla is getting WORSE gas mileage than the 06 corolla, so I can't see how you can say that these things are to improve gas mileage when it has worsened. My wife is driving the same route, with the same behavior as usual with these results. And no, we're not using the mileage computer figures, that thing hasn't been right once. We are using the trip odometer and good ol' fashioned math at the pump.

As far as going green, that's fine, but then how about making the canister with a thicker plastic or metal to be durable? Eventually, everyone will probably go the paper only route, but its a matter of how they do it and whether they make the transition reasonable for the owner to continue doing their own maintenance where it is reasonable to do so. Of course there will be some degree of personal preference here, but in general a more rugged design would be best. And it's not a "Civic Style" oil filter, it's the style of oil filter that everyone has used for the last 30 years or so, including Toyota on the Corolla up until this year.

In terms of reading the manual, I read through it, and my wife read it from front to back and we both managed to miss anything about the car not shifting into 4th gear for emissions. Since you know it's there, what page is it on? I know for a fact that it is not doing it every time it is cold, so assuming that it's a feature, which I am willing to do, its still not working correctly. Our 06 never exhibited the behavior at all, so it has not been a feature that has been in place for 8 years.

It's this marketing and opinion based information in replies which made me request that no "fanboys" need reply, and you've once again proved my point. I'm not going to waste any additional time replying to fanboys with too much time on their hands that are really just trying to sell the car to convince themselves that they made a good decision. Most of us on here are looking for others with experience first hand on their actual car to understand an issue or find a solution to it.

At any rate, I was posting my experience to share with the person that was also having a similar experience in hopes that others can share their own experiences to see if this was normal behavior or not. In terms of liking, loving, or hating the car, I really don't care - I'm just trying to find answers to a specific event that has happened. To that person, can you post back whether your shifting issue seems to happen mostly when your car isn't warmed up yet (temp gauge below 1/3)?

Thanks!
    Please don't get offended by my positive comments about the 2009 Toyota Corolla. Those of us that just love this car are entitled to our opinions on this thread as well as those of you that do not like it. I understand when you're thinking your having trouble with a new car, or for some reason you think you made a bad investment, it's very easy to get frustrated. I guess the last thing you want to hear is someone saying something good or giving their favorable opinion about the same model car that you dislike so much.

the 09 corolla is getting WORSE gas mileage than the 06 corolla, so I can't see how you can say that these things are to improve gas mileage when it has worsened.
    When a car manufacturer tries to lighten the load it's usually to improve gas mileage.

how about making the canister with a thicker plastic or metal to be durable
    Again, to lighten the load to improve gas mileage, did yours crack or are you having a problem with it?

it's not a "Civic Style" oil filter
    Actually, it is the style that the Civic has been using since it's inception as well.

I know for a fact that it is not doing it every time it is cold, so assuming that it's a feature, which I am willing to do, its still not working correctly. Our 06 never exhibited the behavior at all, so it has not been a feature that has been in place for 8 years.
    You'll have to ask McDawg as I never responded your inquiry about the shifting.

convince themselves that they made a good decision
    No convincing here babe, owned three Corollas including a 2009 and guess what, I'm sure it won't be my last!
  • carfreak189carfreak189 Member Posts: 31
    There is no correlation with the car shifting into overdrive and temperature. It does it randomly. The second dealer said this, I feel it could be a coverup.
  • mcdawggmcdawgg Member Posts: 1,722
    From the 2007 Camry owner's manual, page 162 - it uses the same 2.4 L engine and 5 speed automatic that is in the 2009 Corolla XRS: "If the engine coolant temperature is low, the transmission will not shift into overdrive gear even in the "D" position." I would bet that this same sentenance is in the 2009 XRS manual, as it is the same engine and tranny. It would be easy to miss, though.

I’ve read this “complaint” many, many times, and I’ve read the answer (it is normal, it does it to warm up the car faster to reduce emissions) many, many times. I currently have a manual Corolla and manual Camry, so I don’t have first hand experience with this exact car, but I do follow this and another Toyota only website, so I have good sources, along with first-hand experience with a 4 speed automatic '01 Rav that also would not shift into overdrive when the engine coolant temp. was low. So we are talking about something that has been common and normal for at least 8-9 years. I hope this will put your mind at ease.

Also, I have not heard or read about any big, widespread problems with changing their own oil, after they purchased the correct-sized wrench (around $6). You can look here and another Toyota only website for info on this.
    Just fyi my hubby was able to get it started. He thought i had some bad gas, so he added some stuff to the gas tank and about 10 min later it fired right up. I did stop at a station that isn't a major retailer so i am guessing it could have been some bad gas, or maybe water in the lines.I was just running late for work, needed gas bad and didn't wanna stop as i got closer to work (bad area of town)
    I made a service appt for the weekend to have her checked out just in case. But she is running great now..

As for changing the oil, all you need is the special wrench and you are set! Good luck finding the right kind of oil! Where I am they had to order it for me because it's not a popular type in the south. I just call a month or so before it's due and go get it come home and change it. Simple as pie.
    Glad you got everything all squared away with "her" and "she's" running great again. I agree, changing the oil is a snap. It's funny, I got my wife a 2009 Corolla XLE in the Barcelona Red color and she sounds just like you. She refers to her new Corolla as "she" and "her" also, LOL , why is it never a he or a him?
    I have the 09 S in the same red! Ha ha ha... this is my 1st 'girl' car all of my others have been guys. I donno how it became a 'she' maybe coz of the new curvy shape LOL
    Wow, I really liked the looks of the "S" too. I like the way the sides look. She almost got the "S" also because you could get leather upholstery with that one and she really wanted leather.
    I just got the basic S nothing leather except the steering wheel.. No biggie. I also didn't get the spoiler coz it was so big! I did see one that's a lower profiled one, sorta like the Camry spoiler but haven't looked to see how much it is aftermarket. I heard they are high dollar so I'll just wait. We knew the finance person at the dealer so i got a great deal on just the right car for me. I felt special lol
    I wanted an XRS but i can't drive a manual and they didn't have any in stock and didn't think they'd get one anytime soon.
    She got the lower spoiler. Yea, I think it was expensive. She's very happy with the car even tough it's not the little red sports car she wanted. Good luck with yours and be safe and enjoy!
  • gottarunngottarunn Member Posts: 2
    I had the same grinding noise when braking somewhat hard while driving forward. I finally took it to the dealership yesterday. They said the rotors were discolored and replaced them and the pads and also lubricated the calipers. My guess is there is a problem with the calipers and this will happen again. I had the car since June, it only has 13kmiles. This $465 brake job was done under warranty.
  • trickdaddy44trickdaddy44 Member Posts: 2
    hey guys. ok. my car has 5,900 miles on it. i purchased it in Sept 08. i do the oil changes my self and all of that, but it has nothing to do with it, because the problem i am experiencing has been happening since i got the car.

ok what happens is when the car is warmed up and i am driving lets say i am coming to a stop the rpms drop to about 600 and the car almost feels like it is going to die, i let go of the brake and the rpms go back up. i can do this repeatedly if i want to. no matter how fast or how slow i drive, when i press on the brake just before i come to a complete stop the care idles very weird... it like shakes, feels like i am driving a stick but my car is automatic...

i took it to the dealer and the dealer drove it and the guy said he did not experience anything and the car did not give out any codes or whatever.

has anyone experienced this issue ??

it pisses me off because it is a NEW car and i should not have this idle problem and feel it all the time when i am coming to a stop....
    any help would be appreciated

thanks guys
    Yes that is weird. And I can understand your feeling the way you do. Why don't you take it back again to either the same dealer or a different Toyota dealer and YOU drive while they sit and experience what you say you can duplicate at anytime?
  • trickdaddy44trickdaddy44 Member Posts: 2
    sorry i forgot to mention i did drive it and the mechanic came with me and it did what i said it did, it idled weird when i would press the brake to come to a stop, the mechanic was like i dont feel anything, im watchin the rpms and they have not gone below 500 so there is no problem. but thats bs because i have never had a car do this. i hate toyota.
    Well, as some posters on this thread would love to tell you I do differ totally when it comes to your opinion of Toyota as I am a big fan of Toyota, but that is not important here. What is important is it sounds like you deffinitly have some kind of problem with your new car. I wouldn't get too upset though as it does sound like something that could be taken care of when you find a technician that will cooperate with you. I wouldn't settle for that technician's opinion and would raise a fuss and ask to speak to the service manager. Ask him to take you in another 2009 and see if that car also has this weird idle. I know mine doesn't ! Please keep us informed as to how you make out.
  • cynth1cynth1 Member Posts: 3
    i have read this in previous postings, and now it is happening to me too...i have a 7-month old 09 corolla S which makes rattles...it did not start until when it got to around 6k miles (it now has 9K on it)....it is coming from the front, but definitely not from the engine...very prominent when driving at low speed, but once i get to 50 mph+, it is not much noticeable...yes, it is annoying!!!!...but i'm afraid to take it back to the dealer coz they might make it worse!....it also has a problem with very low idling that it feels like it will shut down everytime i come up to a stop light...i still have not taken it back to the dealer for this, maybe they can up the rpm a little bit...(gotta take it checked by the dealer b4 the warranty expires).....