Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2009 Toyota Corolla Problems and Repairs

Comments

• malibubluesmalibublues Member Posts: 4
    the brake pedal literally goes right to the floor and the car will not stop. It happens only in the cold weather. It happened before the brake recall, and it is now happening again after I had the recall part put in.
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    Wow, that's awful. I'd take it back again and insist on a new master cylinder for openers and if they won't do anything, consult a lawyer and initiate the Lemon By-Back. Each state has different rules for qualification and you may have to give the dealer a certain number of "tries". I'd also fire off a letter to toyota corporate citing the "present danger of complete brake failure", and also register this with the NHTSA website.
  • speakyourmindspeakyourmind Member Posts: 3
    so im having an issue with my brakes in my new 2010 toyota corolla S. i purchased this vehicle at the end of august 2009, and since mile 1, ive noticed something funny about the brake system. first and foremost, i am a pretty conservative driver. i have young family that i cart around and purchasing this corolla was almost mostly for this reason, also the safety ratings... so anyway, while braking under normal driving conditions, if i hit a small bump or pothole, my ABS vibrates profusely, makes a loud buzzing noise, and rattles my pedal to the floor. while doing all of this, the vehicle stopping distance greatly increases therefore heightening my chances of impact or collision. i brought up recalls to the service guy, nothing. brought it in for inspection and the district inspector states that the ABS system is extra sensitive and cannot be changed. while performing a driving inspection of my vehicle, the toyota district rep ended up grinding a couple of gears in my brand new car like he didnt know how to shift the car properly. also ended up with a couple of dents in my passenger door and one on the roof that were not there prior to the inspection. as many cars as i have driven, the abs has never acted this way unless i was braking aggressively to avoid an impact or collision. i feel this issue could cause a collision or accident. has anyone else experienced this issue with their ABS? also, the dealership where i bought my car is under the impression that swirl marks will wash off, and that a coat of polish fixes it, however just masking the problem... i regret buying this car. :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:
    i have experienced very similar problems.... would you post the link to corporate again?? when your brakes fail, do you hear the abs vibrating or rattling or whatever the commotion? phunkeymunkey@gmail.com would be interested in hearing the issues you are having in more detail.... i feel so small and weak against these corporate giants
  • zythumzythum Member Posts: 2
    I have had similar braking problems with a 2010 Corolla, which I leased on 11 Nov. 2009. When I braked aggressively the brakes produced a loud, hard metallic clatter; I was prepared to bring the car to the dealer; however, before I could manage to get to the dealer, the brakes failed, and the car crashed into the rear of another car. The brakes had slipped and would not stop the car. This happened without warning. There was severe damage to the Corolla, but fortunately no injuries. It is not possible at this time to report how the matter will be resolved. I believe the Corolla I leased is unsafe to drive at any speed.
  • floridaminniefloridaminnie Member Posts: 4
    Is there anyone else that is having a battery problem with the 2009 Corolla. The battery apparently was changed before I took possession of the car (I took possession on 6/19). On the 15th of the month, the battery was deader than a doornail. There was battery corrosion all over the positive side. Got it jumped and took it to the dealership where they cleaned it up and put in a new battery. Battery was dead again yesterday. They said that they checked the charger and alternator. Replaced the battery connectors and put in another new battery. I love my car, but this isn't going to work for me! Any help? Thanks!
  • louie_jr2005louie_jr2005 Member Posts: 34
    Yea I just crashed my 09 corolla into the rear of another car due to abs. The road had a 1 inch of snow on it and i was doing 15 miles and hour and I tried stopping and just sled over 150 feet because the abs just kept kicking in and wouldn't slow me down. ......My poor baby (my car that is). Everyone is fine but my car has about 5-7 thoundsand in damage!!! I just hope they don't say it total!!......but maybe it better if it was i would get about 5 thousand after paying it off and just buy new with that amont!
  • terceltomterceltom Member Posts: 1,024
    Interesting that it sounds like you are actually faulting the ABS rather than praising them for maybe saving your life. Do you fully understand the concept of ABS brakes? Without ABS you would have locked up your wheels solidly and you would have done nothing but slide. Okay, you state that you slid anyway. But it sounds like the ABS did there job as designed to but conditions or speed were just too much to overcome. Don't know if you ordered the optional Traction Control or Electronic Stability Control on your Corolla as I did on my XLE, but I find this as a very useful additional safety option. Electronic Stability Control channels the braking away from the locking wheels. Traction Control is just reverse, it channels the gripping action away from the spinning slipping wheels and onto the solidly grounded ones.
  • vchengvcheng Member Posts: 1,284
    A car skidding 150 feet doing only 15 mph at the start of the slide suggests ice under the snow. I don't think any ABS or non-ABS would help under those circumstances.

Of course, this assuming that the figures given are correct. :)
    No problems here! Sounds like you have a unique problem. It does sound like your dealer is working with you though. I hope they find your problem soon for you. Yea, I love my 2009 Corolla addition to my Toyota line-up also. I was thinking about a Mazda 3 or a Civic when I was shopping, but I'm soooo glad I chose Corolla
    Very sorry to hear about this louie----did you by chance "pump" the brakes?---that would be a bad idea and might have defeated the ABS. The trick with ABS is to stomp on the brakes and KEEP YOUR FOOT on them.

If you hit ice, then there's no defense for it---nothing---no tire or braking system, can defeat ice. You'd need something like large studs in the tires or tire chains to even begin to cope with ice.
  • backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    FYI ESC (VSC) with traction control are standard on 2010 Corollas. Very nice feature to have on a low-end car. Even the Yaris has VSC standard for 2010. Within a year or so, all new cars will need to have ESC due to federal regs. So Toyota is a bit ahead of the regs.
  • Sandman6472Sandman6472 Member Posts: 6,953
    I guess Toyota hasn't done much with their brakes since the late '80's & '90's. On our two Camry's and two Corolla's we had similar grinding noises from the front brakes with pedals going down to the floor consistently. Toyota tried their best to correct the problem but never got it fixed correctly so we said adios to Toyota. The Mazda, Hyundai, Honda & Nissans we've had since have all had superior brakes with no consistent grinding noises & much better pedal modulation with no pedal to the floor situations. A shame too since we're just getting ready to start our search to replace the '05 Mazda 3s. I like the look of the Corolla XLE and the upscale features but the brake problems I'm reading about in here bring back bad memories.

We'll test drive one anyways but I'm not to optimistic after reading some of the recent posts.

The Sandman :sick: :shades:

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

Actually Toyota Corollas have continued to improving braking. The newer Corolla models can all be had with the Star Safety System, which includes Anti-lock Brakes (ABS), Electronic Brake-force Distribution (EBD), Brake Assist (BA), enhanced Vehicle Stability Control (VSC), and Traction Control (TRAC). Enhanced VSC coordinates the Anti-lock Brake System (ABS), Electronic Brake force Distribution (EBD), Brake Assist with Traction Control (TRAC) and Electric Power Steering (EPS), to help provide a the driver a better-integrated, controlled vehicle in the event of an emergency maneuver. I've owned many Toyotas in my lifetime and have never had any problem with my brakes. Now granted Toyota did have the recent voluntary brake recall of vehicles that are driven in extremely cold conditions. There is a possibility that the moisture on the positive crankcase ventilation (PCV) port may condense and seep into the brake system vacuum port, where it could freeze and cause partial braking failure. The recall for the moisture freezing in the lines in the very colder climates, but other than that, I think you will be hard pressed to find a large number of complaints on Corolla braking in this or any other forum. Going "to the floor" as you put it, longer pedal travel as I call it, is a characteristic of the new Corolla braking system. The pedal will travel farther down then in some cars but the braking of the car is far more superior than most also. Good braking is not judged by how far the pedal travels, but how quickly they can stop the car in an emergency situation. Now if you owned four Toyotas and all four have had brake grinding noises from the front wheels I would look for an outside reason or condition for this or your just the victim of outrageously bad luck. Perhaps your technician's installation might be the fault or the pads he might be using are not up to snuff, or maybe even your not replacing the pads as frequently as you should be. But really, four out of four ????
    We used the Toyota dealerships for the brakes and they kept replacing pads & rotors and finally shrugged their heads. Our Nissans, Mazda, Hyundai & Honda which came after never had these problems so we're gonna stick with them. Glad your brakes work fine but others in here are complaining, so...! And our Toyotas were previous generations, complaints in here are from this one.

Bottom line for us is that we won't consider a Toyota product in our current search...which is fine by us. The Southeast region adds fees & options to a car that we are not willing to pay. But for folks that are happy with their Toyota's...good for you.

The Sandman :shades:

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

I hope you have much better luck with your next car, it sure can't get any worse!
    We've had great luck with the last six cars since we left Toyota...thank you very much! Only traded one in when the warranty was up...health reasons.

Wow, really burnin through the cars huh? Purchasing your eleventh !!!! Must really pile on the mileage. Four Toys. and six others after.
    Two of these were bought for our girls as their 1st cars within the past 14 months. I've bought two since 2003 and the wife bought two since 2001. Her cars are usually gone around 80k miles...with the Mazda now having 71k. And my current ride will take me well into retirement...I have 11 months and the car has 25k+ on it now, so I'm good for another seven years G-d willing. I only drive about 7100 miles per year.

• chase44chase44 Member Posts: 2
    The owners manual on my 2009 Corolla mentions that when a new set of tire pressure sensors is installed the new numbers need to be registered with the Toyota dealer. So they may be grouped in sets, it appears they have an ID #. Then again they could be just making sure you always go to the dealer to get them??
    Why register at all ?
  • knocker81knocker81 Member Posts: 44
    I have a little problem with the gas pedal. It's about the design in general. I have a 2009 corolla that I just cannot drive anymore. First of all I can't get the seat far enough back to where I'm comfortable, my legs are all cramped up. Most cars floors are flat where the gas pedal starts but it seems that there is this hump or raised part right at the base of the gas pedal,which prevents my foot from relaxing when I drive.(maybe that's why the mats are getting stuck) The pedal is actually mounted past where the floor starts to incline. It feel as though I'm holding my leg up the whole time I'm driving which has caused a terrible pain in my ankle and my knee, to the point where I've had 2 MRI's which were negative. It's more of a tendonitis issue. First I thought it was the seats, I've tried every seat position, pillows under my legs to try to take the pressure off but no success. I really think this is a design flaw that Toyota should address. It's actually over a year now and the car will going on sale this week.
    Geez, that's first of that kind of complaint I've heard here. First of all, if you have to sell the car because you can't get comfortable driving it, unfortunately I'd say that's a major problem for you, not a "small problem". Are you very tall? Besides going forward and backward the seat also goes up and down, has that helped? I can only guess that your particular problem has to be with your own physical stature. I for one, am of average build, 5' 11", 195 lbs. and have never felt uncomfortable in my 2009 at all. My wife is 5' 6", 125 lbs. and has never felt uncomfortable in this car either. The only comfort issue I have heard of here, was that the driver's arm rest is not in usable position. Two reasons why the accelerator pedals are getting stuck in some of the other Toyota models. One is some owners are doubling up on mats, particularly in the winter. The other is that the little clips holding the OEM mats on are becoming dislodged allowing the mats to slide forward against the pedals. Perhaps your Toyota dealer might be able to help with some kind of modification for you. Good Luck!
  • mcdawggmcdawgg Member Posts: 1,722
    The other is that the little clips holding the OEM mats on are becoming dislodged allowing the mats to slide forward against the pedals.

No. The clips do not come "dislodged." The problem is that some people don't use them at all, or they put a mat on top of another mat. Of course, some of the Toyota haters try to tell you that it is the electronics, but there is zero proof of this. The Corolla is not affected by this because the shape of the pedal is such that when people don't follow the rules (not use the clips or stack up mats), there is still sufficient space in most cases that the pedal does not get stuck down. So Toyota is forced to idiot proof the car so if you don't do these two things, the pedal will not get stuck. The media made this into a HUGE story, way overblown.

Please use the hooks and a good proper fitting mat (Toyota or WeatherTech) in your Corollas, or any car!
    I haven't heard the "electronics" accusation yet. But yes, as I mentioned, the pedal problem is partially attributed to doubling up on winter mats. On the other hand, the Toyota mat retaining clips can also become dislodged. In my own instance, on my ""02" Celica the clips did come off allowing this driver side mat to slip up under the accelerator pedal all the time until I removed it. I can't concur with your suggestion of using "Weather Tech" winter mats as I don't know if they are equipped with the necessary Toyota retaining holes. I would highly suggest, as is Toyota of course, using only the OEM mats with the holes
  • louie_jr2005louie_jr2005 Member Posts: 34
    ok, Are you very tall or have past problems with your ankles?? I am 6'2" and 220 and I have driven my 2009 for 2 years on 2/10/2010. I do love the ride and I don't feel like i'm in a small car. The only problem I have is after 3 hours driven my knee hurts and that only because i torn my acl and mcl years ago, and it just gets sore staying still for that long. Nothing with the car itself. The thing i don't like is what the other guy said about the arm rest on the door, it not at a good height. I love the car and your the first to complain about this problem!
    The Weather Techs have the retaining holes for the clips, and fit as good or better than the Toyota OEM mats. They are pricey, but protect better. As far as the clips, my old Corollas, Rav, and the newer Camrys that I have never had the clips come loose, nor have I read that the clips come loose on the affected models of the recall. Maybe your Celica had the problem, but not my '99 Corolla, or my '07 and '10 Camrys. So yes, just use the clips and Toyota OEM or WeatherTech mats, and your Corolla (or any car) will be fine.
  • knocker81knocker81 Member Posts: 44
    I'm 5'-8" but I like to stretch my legs which I can't seem to do with this car. But I do love the ride and I'd hate to get rid of the car.
    I would love to see your seat set-up. It blows my mind that you're only 5' 8" and can't fit behind the wheel of your new Corolla comfortably. Doesn't sound like you might be one of these people that slide the front seat all the way back to where your actually sitting in the back while driving are you? Oh no, that's right, they're Honda owners who have tinted black windows blast their stereos to bass thump'in loud and wear their Yankee hats sideways with their bluetooth hang'in on their ears. LOL
  • mbrodeurmbrodeur Member Posts: 1
    Adding another comment to the sea of posts already made.
    Have a 09 Corolla CE.

1. Steering is vague and it does show up at higher speeds on the hwy for example. You do get used to it.
    2. I do have bunch of rattles.
    a) under the dash
    b) Pillar A on the driver's side
    c) the windows both front and rear can make a cracking noise at low temps (at like -15Celcius.)
    d) now I have a mechanical noise in the left wheel i) when I hit huge bumps (like slowing yellow bumps at Wal-Mart), ii) when I take a sharp turn to the right with a good speed.

I'm going to the dealer tomorrow to get those fixed. I did a research and I found something interesting : there are Technical Service Bulletins dealing with some of my issues!
    http://www.alldatadiy.com/TSB/59/095937aL.html
    Let's see the service manager's face tomorrow morning when I show him the printout!
    SB0214-09 JUL 09 Interior - Rattling Noise From The A-Pillar Area
    SB0142-08R2 JUL 09 Body - Windshield/Back Glass Ticking Noises
    SB0333-08R1 FEB 09 Interior - Instrument Panel Rattling Noise

I am quite ticked with the no-clock thing : quite dumb move from Toyota.

I was expecting a PERFECT car (brand new right?). And I got less than that. Don't get me wrong : it's a great car, lowest of the lowest gas consumption, etc. But to have to deal with such rattles is troubling... :)
    Your exactly right for expecting a car that has no rattles. Keep taking it back until they correct those issues for you. Thanks for the heads-up on the TSB's. Doesn't your CE have a clock integrated into the trip odometer button? I know my XLE does. Good Luck and keep us posted as to how you make out.
    But for the 2010 Corolla, they moved the clock so it is always visible, not in the trip odometer. Tons of people complained about it (I know I would have) and Toyota moved it.
    “In recent months, Toyota has investigated isolated reports of sticking accelerator pedal mechanisms in certain vehicles without the presence of floor mats,” Toyota group Vice President Irv Miller said in the statement.
    In "rare instances" the accelerator pedal may stick in a partially depressed position or return slowly to the idle position, he said.

Well I guess it's more than the floor mats after all that are making the accelerator pedals stick. Announced 1/21/10, 2.3 million Toyotas are to be recalled, including 2009 and 2010 Corollas. This will be in addition to the 4.7 million already being recalled for the car mat issue which is making the accelerator pedals stick.
  • zythumzythum Member Posts: 2
    I had a similar problem with a 2010 Corolla: the brakes slipped and the car crashed. The dealer could find nothing wrong with the brakes. My problem was reported to Toyota USA in Torrance, CA. as well to the NHTSA. The brake fluid and the brake linings were checked,, but the dealer found nothing wrong. They would not: the car only had 427 mile on it. They did not inspect the mechanism of the brakes which should have been done. And I might might stilll go that route.
  • cpu8900cpu8900 Member Posts: 53
    Hi all,
    I'll be heading over to the Mustang forum after this post. Just before the new year
    I noticed that Ford had some really good deals advertised. Went to the dealership
    that I bought the Corolla knowing that they also sold Ford and drove the 2010 Mustang 5spd. WOW, talk about a fun car to drive compared to the Corolla, go drive
    one for yourself and you'll see what I mean.
    I wasn't completely sold until the price was right...so my payment went from about $312 to $350 for 3yrs. at 0%.
    Car was about $21,500 before the $2,750 for incentives and the 36 mos. 0%.
    The drivers seat is much more comfortable than the Corolla and don't get me
    started about the Corolla's sensitive steering. The Mustang is just a blast to
    drive from the throaty exhaust to the acceleration through the short throw 5spd.
    Don't get me wrong, I liked the Corolla, but I really look forward to driving the
    car now.
    I just heard today about the recall on the 2009-10 Corolla gas pedal.
    I hope they get the problems corrected.
    Wow, that's quite a style change in car. Going from a compact economy car to a 2 door sporty coupe. LOL. Wish you the best of luck with your new car, enjoy!
    Can you explain a bit more exactly what you mean by slipped?

1. The brakes went to the floor

2. The brake pedal stayed hard but the car kept going

3. The brake pedal stayed hard and the car slowed down, but not quickly enough--the braking was very gradual.

4. What surface were you driving over? Were there bumps, RR tracks or other unusual textures such as water ice or snow?

5. Were you in a panic stop situation before the slippage occurred or did the slippage turn a routine stop into an alarming situation?

6. Do your brake lights still function?

Your answers would be very helpful in helping others with similar problems.
  • wongywongy Member Posts: 2
    Hi,
    I had been having this problem for a while with my battery. I had changed it three times and today it will not start my car again, I had to get it jumped.
    Did you ever discover what was causing your battery problem too.
    Sincerely, ERIC
    I'm gonna assume you meant charged it and not "changed it". Either way, if you charged it or changed it and it still doesn't start your car I think it's safe to assume it's not the battery that's causing your problem. Try getting the car running and disconnect the red battery cable. If the car stops running it's most likely not the alternator that's causing your problem. Either way, take it back to the dealer and tell him of your problem, if it's not the battery he'll have to diagnose the problem. Demand that they settle this once and for all. You got practically a new car and it doesn't take a rocket scientist to see that you shouldn't need three batteries, or three charges, to figure out you have some kind of other problem going on.
  • floridaminniefloridaminnie Member Posts: 4
    (Crossed fingers) it hasn't died again...yet. They've changed the battery and the wires. I am hoping that is what it took and it isn't something worse like an electrical problem.
  • wongywongy Member Posts: 2
    Thank you for the reply,
    Its my turn to go through the worries. Hopefully, its just wiring too.
    ERIC
  • Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
    If you are a Toyota owner and interested in sharing your reaction to the recall with reporters, send an email stating the vehicle you own, your telephone number, and the best time you can be reached.

Send to: karen@edmunds.com
  • cat6877cat6877 Member Posts: 3
    Mine is not an '09 but an '10 and I have the exact same problem.

The brake slips (brake pedal stayed hard and the car slows down, but not quickly enough--the braking was very gradual)

It happens everytime I hit a bump when I brake (like going over a pot hole or man hole/ uneven surface.

It is really weird, the pedal stays down and it vibrates. It feels like the pad slips off and you get a vibration.

If I release and brake again, it goes back to normal.

Funny thing is it happens everyday at one particular intersection. If I know there are cars in front of me, I just miss the bump by driving around it. If now one is in front of me I will brake and hit the bump and everytime it slips. It is just my daily test when going to work.

I am assuming my brake lights still function when this occurs.
    That is interesting. So this happens AFTER you hit the bump or as you are going over it? Sounds like ABS is kicking in.
    Now that you mention it, the ABS kicking in is exactly what it feels like. I hit the bump and as soon as I do the slip occurs. Once I release and hit the brake pedal again, the brakes work fine.
    I wonder if we have a fluky wheel sensor or something. Has anyone scanned the ABS module for trouble codes? This may require someone who knows the car quite well.
    ive posted the same problem on this blog. this is a bigger issue than you think. i also own a :lemon: 2010 corolla s :lemon: and same thing, pot holes, bumps, in this same thread, post #619... i believe you should not have to drive a car under special conditions just because the abs wants to act funny. i have since parked mine and have progressed into arbitration. this is a serious issue. can you believe, one master technician at Toyota of Vallejo, actually told me that it was a body vibration... i said, "sorry buddy, im not the idiot thats going to just take any answer you spill out to me and accept it" Toyota Walnut creek also dents cars that are inspected for this issue, then lie to your face!!! the service manager at toyota walnut creek, Al, seems to think i slept on a complaint about the dents for a day, when its on record to toyota customer care, my insurance, and the dealership that i called immediately upon arriving home.... its bullsh*t that there is not a good honest dealership that actually still REALLY cares about their customer even after purchase..... i have almost hit a gas pump, various cars, i actually did end up rear ending someone, due to this issue. and it sucks. driving a car wondering if it is gonna stop this time... i use my e-brake when i drive just in-case...... i do not trust the brakes in a $21,000 car! this definitely needs to be addressed and escalated to a more serious issue. i think maybe the car companies are trying to bring money to their parts shops... :lemon:
    Mine is a 2010 S as well. I calling my dealership tomorrow. My family has bought many cars from them so when i get answer, i will let you know.
  • Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
    If you own one of the models listed in the recall and have actually experienced the unintended acceleration, please send an email with details of the experience and how it felt.

karen@edmunds.com
  • almichalmich Member Posts: 11
    I bought my 2010 Corolla S last November and recently my radio does not even turn on or power up at all when I start my car. Pressing the volume button or steering wheel controls does nothing. I have only driven my car for 600 miles! If I take my car in for a warranty service, do I have to go to the dealership where I purchased my car? I am so disappointed that this happened!