Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Buick Rendezvous Temperature Problems

mrinjen95mrinjen95 Member Posts: 2
I recently bought an 02' Buick Rendezvous and immediately had to get the Manifold gaskets changed. A couple days after I picked up the car, I noticed the Temperature gauge fluctuating. On The freeway, the temp gauge would stay around the 1/4 mark, but when stopped on city roads or at lights, the gauge will constantly creep up until it reaches the 3/4 mark, and then slowly go back down to the 1/2 mark. Can anyone tell me any ideas of whats going on??? Also, last night the Service Engine Soon light came on while driving on the freeway.

Thanks In Advance

Comments

• 297dmy297dmy Member Posts: 1
    We bought an 06 Buick Rendezvous about 6 months ago. We have had problems with the heater all winter,it will start off blowing warm air and within a few miles the drivers side will turn cold. We have had it to the Buick dealership 4 times now . the last time they checked the tempeture at the vents on the dash. It was about 50 degrees outside and even with the windows down the drivers side was 72 and the passengers side was blowing 106 degrees. this was with the drivers side control set at 80 degrees.
    They have replaced the AC control module and checked the actuators and they are opening the doors properly. The tech said there is a problem but they can't seem to fix it. Thanks for any help Dale
  • malliardfivemalliardfive Member Posts: 2
    My 04 Rendezvous has had an overheating problem for about 1½ years now. All of a sudden out of the blue, it overheated one day. It also affects the heater temperature: when it acts up, the heater blows cold air. At full highway speed, the temp will usually go back down into or near the normal range and heater will begin blowing hot air again. A guy at AutoZone told me to turn two pressure release valves on top of the engine until water begins to seep out and then retighten. This works, but I'm told that it could be a seal that needs to be replaced which labor will be from $800-$1200 on. Does anyone know anything about this? I hate to spend $1000 on a mechanic's hunch!
    Thanks for you help!
    Rick
  • muessigmannmuessigmann Member Posts: 1
    Easter weekend our 02 RDV started acting strange. The temp gauge was all over the place and it was not heating when it was sitting still. I thought the worst, head gasket. I got it into the shop last week to get the problem diagnosed and it was the manifold gasket that was leaking and burning off the missing antifreeze. After I picked it up at the shop I asked the mechanic, not dealer, if he had ever seen a head gasket blown on the 3.4 engine. He said "NO" but added that he had replaced his fair share of manifold gaskets on these engines. It goes back in this week to get fixed. I'm being charged $750 to replace the gasket. I'm going ahead and having the plugs replaces as long as they have it in the shop.

Hope this helps anyone!
  • h2oaquadogh2oaquadog Member Posts: 11
    I just received a phone call from the Executive offices at Buick. I sent them a nasty letter letting them know that I had to walk away from my 02 Ren with ONLY 37,000 miles on it because I could no longer afford to replace wheel bearings and intake manifold gaskets. Somehow they thought apologizing would make things better. However, she did state that people need to call the customer service number and complain about all the things wrong with this car. I know we have all called at least once, if not twice to complain and yet they still don't get it. But, please everyone start calling AGAIN! Call and let them know about your gaskets, your wheel bearings, your fuel tanks. Keep calling till they figure out this car is a LEMON! The woman I talked to just could not believe there were this many of us that had the same problem and they had never heard of it. By far the most obsurd thing I have ever heard! The number is 1-866-608-8080. I was fortunate enough to be able to trade mine in (at a hUGE loss), but the dealership turned right around and sold it to some poor soul....
  • hate02buickhate02buick Member Posts: 8
    Hope you all know - there is a Settlement from GM go to www.dexcoolsettlement.com- the type of coolant they used causes various problems - but definitely affects the gaskets and wheel bearings - THIS CAR IS A LEMON - get out of it NOW if you can :lemon:
  • jensmith5050jensmith5050 Member Posts: 4
    oh yeah we have a lemon. My husband is so mad that we are paying on this that we will not ever recover the loss. Buick sold crap I love the car but from 30,000 miles first it was not holding antifreeze and then the heat and air wont work on high this was at 80,000 then the tires wear easily but hard to get, then the windows broke then the lamps go out all the time, then now watch out you people with coolant problems the gasket. what a shame it cost another 3,000 dollars but it will be parked and cant afford to fix it after the front windows falling so it will be parked paying on unless some dummy wants to pay for junk we owe 11,ooo on wow I will never recommend gm again oh and we had trouble with the lock system the back hatch and should add even more but frustrated
    The 2002 Buick after turning 100,000 and a few anticoolant not holding and window clips breaking and tire wear and only one tire fits now we had to replace the headgaskets , surpentinebelt and had the Dexcool removed that led to these problems. We were told mechanics love Dexcool and that is why. Well then 1 week later the cable from the battery was fryed in half by hitting a pully and we had it replaced and the clip that held it on that caused the problem. Well guess what now 6 days later the engine is nocking. I owe 9,000 for this crap and have spent 2800 dollars on it I hate this car now. How do I get out of this mess and what is the new problem? Im calling the mechanic Monday and how serious will it be anyone know? the fluids are fine he replaced most hoses the plugs and took out all of the dexcoolant and a few more things. thanks jensmith
  • jollyrog1jollyrog1 Member Posts: 1
    I have the same problem with an 03' CX AWD. Have you found a fix?
    Well we are going to file on the lawsuits with GM and the awful mess that has cost us ongoing problems. Now the headgaskets all the hoses the battery cables and the surpentine belt a 2800 in a month and 3 days later the engine is knocking in which the mechanic says it threw a rod and did not pay the towing and it has set 2 weeks now not fixed. He will probably give us another bill and it wasnt doing the knocking before. I hate this crap car and will probably work xtra instead of having surgery to pay the trash vehicle off get rid of them now befor the warranty is up
  • redmgcredmgc Member Posts: 1
    I guess I should have checked out this site before buying the RDV.

Are all the problems I am reading about typical? First thing I did was to check the fluids in the car and the coolant tank was empty. Can't wait to see how long it holds anti-freeze!

Thanks

Tom
  • gswitzergswitzer Member Posts: 1
    Hi, l know its been a year since your thread, but l am having the same problem with the gauge creeping to 3/4, but goes back to normal once the vehicle starts moving, took the vehicle to a tech, who said if the needle doesn't hit red, dont worry about it. Somehow l dont believe him, as my heart is in my mouth when the needle starts creeping up. Does anyone know if there is any truth, l dont want to get a big bill when l think the rad is going to explode. I seriously love this vehicle, as a whole have very much enjoy this vehicle and want to keep it in running good order

Thanks for any feedback and solutions
  • mrinjen95mrinjen95 Member Posts: 2
    Well I took it to a mechanic about a year ago...he said the same thing, as long as it doesnt hit red, don't worry about it. He said the car starts to get hot and the thermostat opens up and cools it down. It has been like that for about a year now and I still have no problems with it overheating. GOOD LUCK
  • debnicshaye1debnicshaye1 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2003 Buick Rendezvous,started overheating took it to mechanic,he said don't worry about it ,it's just your coolant it is overfilled,so the problem got worst,so I took it to the Buick service dealer,they inform me,I have a blown head gasket GREAT $1,700 dollars to repair.I also have a Jeep Cherokee 1995 never had any problems like this with my Jeep.I will NEVER EVER purchase a GM car again and the sad thing my dad retired from GM. I think GM needs to have my vehicle repair.
  • stevecoalminerstevecoalminer Member Posts: 1
    The first problem was wheel bearings,changed both sides twice,then a problem with lifters ,it was still under warenty.The next thing sensor started going out.Then the thermostate went out,next thing was intake leak,got the peace of crap blew a head gasket ,all this has cost about 2,400 dollars,why is G.M not recalling this peace of garbage.I still owe about 11,000 thousand on this thing ,and can not afford to put money into this car every week.
  • buddo9buddo9 Member Posts: 18
    For all of us that have the cooling problems..

In the 2002 and later Buick CXL Rendezvous..
    The overheating problem will never go away! I realized there was a problem when I raised the hood and tremendous gust of heat hit my face!
    The engine is in a restricted compartment area under the hood with very little exit to remove heat buildup!
    The heat just keeps building up! So badly, it blisters the paint at the only escape rout that it has near the rear center of the hood ,
    With an inspection, you can see the rubber guard on the hood seals off the windshield and the heat crawls to the two ends of that rubber seal then back to the highest point at the center of the hood..
    The compartment is not big enough to keep the engine from it’s own heat!
    The cause is a bad design of the engine vent system!
    I cut the top half of the rubber seal (2 foot x 1”) That way there is still enough left for water run off from windshield area .. Be careful not to cut away in front of air screened air vents … My CXL is now a cool tool...
    Bud Crawford Coopersburg PA 18036
    The overheating problem will never go away! I realized there was a problem when I raised the hood and tremendous gust of heat hit my face!
    The engine is in a restricted compartment area under the hood with very little venting to remove heat buildup!
    The heat just keeps building up! So badly, it blisters the paint at the only escape rout that it has near the rear center of the hood ,
    With an inspection, you can see the rubber guard that seals off the windshield, the heat crawls to the two ends of that rubber seal then back to the highest point at the center of the hood exit.
    The cause is a bad design of the engine vent system!
    I cut away 12" to the right and left from center of the rubber seal (total 2 foot x 1”) That way there is still enough left on the bottom for water run off from windshield area .. Be careful not to cut away in front of air screened vents … Check to be sure water cannot hit your engine!
    This cure seems like a drastic move, but beats a blown engine! ...My CXL is now a cool tool...
    Bud Crawford, Coopersburg PA 18036
    The engine is in a restricted compartment area under the hood with very little venting to remove heat buildup! ( LAW! Heat rises )
    The heat just keeps building up! So badly, it blisters the paint at the only escape rout that it has near the rear center of the hood.
    The cause is a bad design with no engine venting system.
    With an inspection, you can see the rubber guard that seals off the windshield, the heat slowly crawls to the two ends of that rubber seal then back to the highest point at the center of the hood and exits blistering the hood there.
    I cut away 12" to the right and left from center of the rubber seal (total 2 foot x 1”deep) That way there is nearly 1" left on the bottom for windshield water run off .. Be careful not to cut away in front of air screened vents …
    When finished, ("with cold engine") check and spray a lot of water on the window and watch the run off to be sure it cannot hit your engine!
    This cure seems like a drastic move, but beats a blown engine! ...My CXL is now a cool tool...
    Bud Crawford, Coopersburg PA 18036
  • spike99spike99 Member Posts: 239
    edited June 2010
    Hi there...

I like your idea of "letting the engine compartment vent". From a science perspective, it makes sense. Well ventilated items do keep cooler. However, I'm not too sure if cutting out rain cutter plating is the most optiminal modification. Especially if someone lives in harsh winter / snow with massive April showers climate - like in my region.

I'm wondering if a rear position hood vent might be a better "let if vent" mod. Instead of installing a forward facing hood vent, I wonder if a backwards installed "air flow" vent would be better. For example:
    http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51BCH7H2HYL.jpg -> as a nice "low profile" hood vent to use.
    http://www.caranddriver.com/var/ezflow_site/storage/images/news/car/09q4/lingenf- - elter_455_t_a_concept-auto_shows/gallery/lingenfelter_455_t_2fa_concept_shaker_h- - ood_scoop_photo_4/2963458-1-eng-US/lingenfelter_455_t_a_concept_12_cd_gallery.jp- - g -> example of rear facing vent.

If I lived in hotter region (like lower USA regions), I would install a hood vent and install it backwards. Thus, air flows into the front grill area and that hot air flow out the top of the rear hood. Using this idea, no rain gutter platting would be cut instead.

As implied, I love your "let if vent" idea. However, I'd use an backwards facing low profile hood vent (on the rear hood area) instead.

• ljones1234ljones1234 Member Posts: 1
    First thing to go bad was the wheel bearings, then it was the power windows in the front, Then the Ignition switch and now a blown head gasket and a cracked head. I have been reading some of these posts on here and there is other people who has faced the same thing. Sounds like to me that there should have been several recalls on these cars. This car is becoming a money pit!
  • malliardfivemalliardfive Member Posts: 2
    On the bearings, we had replaced at Sears and comes with a lifetime warranty after a $50 deductible each time. We decided this was tolerable to us. On the head gasket, the third time we had it replaced, we found out they have made the gasket out of a different material and it's been a permanent fix according to our mechanic. Otherwise, about every 30-50K miles, you'll be repairing that one. Our head was able to be welded back together successfully, as well. Fortunately we haven't had the window issue...yet. I tell everyone I see with one of these things what a pain it's been. We did find out that if you are the original owner, Buick should cover your repair-they have it set up sort of like a recall, but only valid if you're original. We, unfortunately, are not.
  • kalandria3kalandria3 Member Posts: 2
    I too have had major issues with overheating. Two major repairs in 16 months. The first was a seal. Cost $800. Second was cracked head $1600. Where did you find out Buick would cover repair cost? I am the original owner. The only way I keep my engine cooled in idling or slow speeds, traffic is to run the a/c no matter what time of year it is. During winter I turn on a/c but turn knob to warmer temps. It seems to work.
    Also have had all window clips replaced numerous times. Now need to replace driver door window motor mechanism lord knows what that will cost.
  • ray80ray80 Member Posts: 1,655
    Hhmm I don't think I would be turning A/C on when I think there my vehicle is running to warm for my liking, heater on high maybe, but not A/C
  • penguin6penguin6 Member Posts: 1
    turning on ac turns on the cooling fans earlier which keeps the engine cool in slow or idling. normally the fans come on at 220. but the buick rendezvous coolant temp sensors are faulty. so putting on the ac works well for keeping engine cooler
  • jprice1022jprice1022 Member Posts: 2
    Our 2005 Rendezvous has had nothing but issues after a year of having it. We've replaced the hubs / bearings 5 times. Now the overheating issue. We just dropped it off at a local shop just to find out in his experience the all mighty Rendezvous has issues with overheating which most likely is caused by a cracked head. I contacted Buick over all the issues with this vehicle, but they stated "your warranty is up" due to mileage. This vehicle is a complete lemon. No one should have to spend the money on repairs that our family has. We replaced the tires twice as well. It currently has another bad hub, it sounds like a tank. The AWD and Anti-Lock Break lights always come on. The check engine light comes on and immediately the heat goes from cold to extremely hot! No recalls, nothing.. The average family who bought this vehicle to haul three children (because it's a "pretty" vehicle") got shafted. I'm pretty sure that we have a large paperweight now... Buick.. I hope you are paying attention, I know I will never buy a Buick / GM product again.
  • gmcustsvcsarahgmcustsvcsarah Member Posts: 1,964
    When you contacted Buick, were you ever assigned a Service Request number? If so, we can look into that further. If not, and you're interested in setting one up, please contact us via email with more information (name/Edmunds username, the last 8 digits of your VIN and current mileage, and the name of your dealership).
    All the best,

Sarah
    GM Customer Service
  • jprice1022jprice1022 Member Posts: 2
    Well I got the bad news from my mechanic today. Sure enough either a cracked head or a blown head gasket. Since I'm an average person who lives week to week, I just went to pick it up as is, we can't afford to put more money in this POS vehicle. When we arrived to pick it up, they had a RDV on a wrecker headed to the junkyard with the exact same issue. Time to bite the bullet and shop for a foreign car. I will bad mouth Buick to everyone I know.
  • banacekmabanacekma Member Posts: 2
    Vehicle had been running fine. Had a lube, oil and filter change at our local mechanic. Left mechanics shop and not 2 miles down the road the vehicle overheated. The temp gauge was pinned all the way to Hot and the message display showed "engine coolant hot" or something to that effect. The top hose felt cool to the touch and there were no antifreeze leaks visable above the engine or on the ground. Waited 3-5 minutes and restarted vehicle and drove back to mechanic's garage without overheating. Mechanic changed thermostat and we took vehicle home without any issues. Next day vehicle was driven to work in morning and all was fine. On way home in afternoon, it overheated again. Have been to 2 different mechanics and they don't believe it's a head gasket as the is no antifreeze in oil or white smoke coming from exhaust after initial engine warm-up. Had an emission test done and the hydrocarbon emission was within normal limits which would indicate that no antifreeze is getting into combustion chambers.
    When vehicle overheats typically we pull over to side of road and shut engine off. Wait 30 seconds to 1 minute and restart engine and temp gauge drops back to normal operating level. It does rise to over the "12 o'clock" position and close to 3/4 way to hot setting on gauge but the aux cooling fans kick in and drop temp the normal reading on gauge. Completely at a loss as to what to do now. Thinking of a complete radiator purge and flush and possibly replacing the water pump to see if this corrects the problem. Any other ideas out here as to what the problem is? Thanks.
  • lablipslablips Member Posts: 1
    Sara,

I am the original owner of a 2003 rendezvous with 61,000 miles and latley hav e noticed that the engine coolant is running low and signs of coolant are in the oil.

I have heard that the intake gasket problem is a known issue on these vehicles and was wondering if it would be coverd/
  • kalandria3kalandria3 Member Posts: 2
    Yeah good luck getting that covered, however get it fixed asap before you blow the head. Has happened 2 times to me. I am into the repairs for more than 2k.
  • kjm1980kjm1980 Member Posts: 1
    I am having the exact same problem with my 2003 rendezvous. Mechanic seems to think we need a new head gasket. Did you ever find out what was wrong with yours?
  • rendezastekrendezastek Member Posts: 2
    My 2002 Buick Rendezvous had the head gaskets, intake manifold and something else? Rear main seal maybe all replaced a year and a half ago, now having overheating. Garage thinks cracked head or head gasket. Honestly though, I have owned the car for 6 and a half years and for the first 5 I didn't have any issues with it. Now this year since Feb have spent 5000 repairing it. Rebuilt transmission, wheel bearings, brake lines etc Now a cracked head or head gasket. I like the rest of you, have found that leaving the ac running is keeping the engine cooler.
  • voxnarbovoxnarbo Member Posts: 1
    Hi Bud. Would be kind enough to provide a photo of your modification?