Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Lexus RX Transmission Problems

Comments

• mrbostonmrboston Member Posts: 43
    Lexus to save cost, made many of the transmission parts out of aluminum instead of steel. You don't have to be a rocket scientist to figure out that it took Lexus three
    years of problems to change back to steel gears etc starting in 2003 model RX.
  • wwestwwest Member Posts: 10,706
    Save costs or weight to improve FE...??

With FE improvement the EPA & CARB get involved in the switch back to steel.
  • jbl85jbl85 Member Posts: 49
    I'm not doubiting this may be true but how do you know this to be fact?
  • pooryotapooryota Member Posts: 2
    :sick: Ok so my 1999 RX300 last year had major work done around $2,300.. One week later the axle was slipping. That was around 87,000 miles, I was told my tranmisson was going. How shocked was !?! Here I thought I had longevity in my Lexus. So now at 92,000 I need a tow to the auto shop. I am not sure if it's worth the fix. I love my car but after reading all the posts and seeing some are on there 3rd transmission. Shame on Toyota!! Like most I had the car serviced at Lexus following the book. My dealership mechanic's didn't even pick up on any problems when the oil was leaking from the axle. I had so many oil changes at the dealership and nothing. I to tried to speak to the manger nothing came out it.
    So as I decide tonight to fix the car or donate it for parts. I know this is my last Toyota car. I do have a Camry that needed an alternator at 65,000 miles. I think I have my answer to move on to another car family. So no class action on the RX300 with all these transmission issue? :lemon:
  • notlexusloyalnotlexusloyal Member Posts: 6
    :mad:
    Our 2001 Lexus Rx300 transmission experienced catastrophic failure at 97,000.
    No warranty, no “Lexus” dealership visits= no help from Lexus.

Lexus misrepresented the quality of this vehicle- selling its customers an inferior product wrapped in leather and the Lexus brand name.
    I am awaiting a call-back from an attorney with much experience in class action lawsuits and even one against Lexus.
    The RX 300 Transmission through mid 2002 was designed with aluminum gearing that could not handle the torque of AWD. We had two one a year 2000 and a 2002
    one failed at 103,000 and the other at 106,000. All were driven by carfeul mature drivers, never towed anything, or gone off road. This transmission is junk.

Lexus motto, "Relentless Pursuit of Excellence" is a down right lie!
  • pooryotapooryota Member Posts: 2
    notlexusloyal....anyword about a class action?
  • mkapadiamkapadia Member Posts: 2
    Beware of RX350 - 2010 model !!
    Reporting a major repair on Lexus 2010 RX350 Transmission , it has only 700 miles, , bought BRAND NEW , they ended up replacing the whole Transmission.

Kindly respond to this thread if you have heard or experienced similar issue.
    First I have heard of this...my guess is that is is a fluke and a very isloated incident.
    "..a fluke..."

Or maybe not....

Ford's Escape and Mariner have been using this very same rear drive clutch coupling technique for quite some number of years and still has problems related to overstressing, overheating, the PTO. There is an indication that Ford has reduced the functionality of the rear drive in response, including removing the driver's manual engagement capability.

On the other hand Mazda, using the very same system, stepped up to the plate and added cooling, engine coolant, to the PTO.

The RX350 does not have PTO cooling provisions AND it has manual engagement capability whereas the Venza and Sienna do not. Next model year you should expect the loss of that manual capability unless Lexus adds PTO cooling.

IMMHO having that manual engagement capability without some sort of strain guage override/failsafe system is simply inviting (inadvertent) abuse of the drive system.
  • naperleighnaperleigh Member Posts: 7
    I just got towed after being standed yesterday. The transmission started slipping and finally gave out. I got the call from the dealer 1 hour ago with the message the transmission failed and it would cost me $5600.00. I have 96000 miles on my 1999 and don't think this should happen. I own two Lexus and they will be my last. I am done :sick: with Toyota products!
  • avery1avery1 Member Posts: 373
    Be sure to negotiate with them. I got my price down from $5600 to $4700 by calling several Lexus dealers. Some folks go to generic shops and get it done for $2700 but I didn't feel comfortable doing that.
    First, go to AAMCO, (I have no vested interest in AAMCO). They put in a rebuilt one in my RX 300 for $2,800. My transmission went out at 103,000 miles and is now running perfect. The AWD models create to much torque on the aluminum transmission gears and they wear out. That is why most mechanics tell you to replace transmission fluid in these ever 30,000 miles becasue the alluminum particles simply clog the filter.

Second, Lexus follows the Toyota policy of denial, the customer is wrong and besides that your warrnaty is over. These transmissions are junk and you should sue both the dealer and Lexus in smalls claims court. You will win, I did.
    "...to much torque on the aluminum..."

No, the early RX300 transaxles had/have a factory design flaw that was finally overcome via the adoption of DBW throttles beginning with the RX330 models.

Via the adoption of DBW the engine was prevented from rising above idle until the transaxle could finish, fully and completely, changing gears. Due to the design flaw there were instances in which a gear change would sometimes take 1-2 seconds to complete.

Thus you now often, post ~2003, see complaints of engine non-response to gas pedal position lasting 1-2 seconds for/regarding Toyota/Lexus/Scion vehicles.
    I contacted Lexus and a law firm that has handled similar cases (one with Lexus) just to gather information. I quickly realized this was not going to be an easy process. I did want resolution, so I contacted both again. Much to my surprise, Lexus agreed to pay for 1/3 of our repair. We decided that was much better than months of legal proceedings so we took the offer. With this payment, I believe it is clear that Lexus does know that there is a major issue with these transmissions and owners might have cause for legal action. Maybe this is why they decided to offer us a little money to make us happy? For us, we had to choose what was best for our situation. Good Luck on further actions!
  • naperleighnaperleigh Member Posts: 7
    to notlexusloyal: Could you please post contact information for Lexus that you used? My 1999 RX trans just died with 96,000 milles on it and the dealer would not reduce the $5600 cost of repair. Thanks
    edited May 2010
    So I am looking into all of these postings with trans problems again...my question is this:

I have a 99 with 48k miles on it and absolutely no sign of trans problems at this time. I drained and filled it twice to get the majority of the fluid swapped out. Now the fluid is cherry red the way it should be. I can drop the pan and look, but better to ask first: If the fluid stays cherry red for several thousand miles, would that indicate that the screen is free and clear of aluminum? And if the fluid changes color rather quickly, I would assume that this would indicate a clogged screen?

Also, the replacement transmissions, if indeed it is the aluminum gears that are failing, are they being replaced with better built units? I can't believe people are having 2, 3 transmissions replaced on these cars.

Replies appreciated.

JBL
  • la4meadla4mead Member Posts: 347
    edited May 2010
    The transmissions that repeatedly fail seem to be third-party rebuilt units, even when done at the dealer.

Not all of them are bad. My early '99 2WD original trans had a shifting problems when cold, I had serviced the transmission at the dealer (NOT FLUSH) twice during the warrantee period. When I mentioned it just before the warrantee expired, Lexus replaced it. They tried 2 third-party rebuilt units that also had problems, and finally got approval for a brand-new transmission directly from Lexus/Kyushu Japan. This was in 2004, just before 70,000 miles. My original had not failed yet, however they replaced it with an updated transmission which does not burn fluid, shifts "enthusiastically" and also does not have a screen. This "updated' transmission has a filter element with fine media which I have had transmission shops service three times since then, and each time was completely clean. Lexus said "what?... we've never seen a '99 with a filter instead of screen". So I took it to the trusted tranny mechanic I have my other vehicles serviced at who serviced it, showed me the pan and filter (clean!) and used TYPE 4 FLUID! Many third-party shops use the typical Dextron/Mercron and a can of additive to simulate Toyota fluid, which also leads to problems!

As far as Lexus goes, I was very happy with the warrantee service when I finally found a dealer to help. I'm even more happy with the "updated" transmission. But on any car, especially fwd platform, I wouldn't recommend to go more than two years without servicing the trans (NOT FLUSHING). Many other makes and models have this same issue, not just Lexus and Toyota.

I think a big part of the problem is "serviced by Lexus" from their menu-based services does not include servicing the transmission. If promted, they usually recommend a "flush" which seems to be profitable for them, but fatal for any automatic transmission that already has some issues/weaknesses, regardless of make.

If your fluid stays pink, chances are pretty good that you've got one of the good ones. But I still recommend having it serviced including cleaning the pan and filter (or screen on the earlier models) every other year. Some of these good transmissions go for hundreds of thousands of miles but require proper maintainence to do so, but Lexus is not going to suggest it.

If you are handy, you can also add extra cooling. I added an additional thermostatic cooler behind the factory cooler in the passenger side wheel well. I also added a small computer fan and an automatic thermostatic switch (Hayden from Pep Boys) which I set to come on about 160 degrees, and I opened up the vent holes in the plastic fender with an exacto knife. Cheap insurance, I thought, since others have had so many problems and they are usually related, or indicated by poor fluid quality. I'm pleased with the result.
    edited May 2010
    That's not a bad settlement if you are free to use a third party repair shop. If you have to use a Lexus shop, well......YOU'RE SCREWED, STILL...!!
    I would suspect that you got an '01 or later transaxle model as a replacement. The dealer was also likely to have been instructed to included an auxillary ATF cooler even thought yours is FWD only.

For the '01 and later model RX300's I suspect the engine idling ATF line pressure specification was raised so the re-acceleration downshift can be quicker and firmer. That, of course, still results in a higher than planned for, initially planned for, ATF temperature rise so the auxillary cooler becomes a real requirement.

Regretably the ATF heating, OVER-heating is localized to the ATF pump and pressure by-pass mechanicals so over time the ATF will still become "dirty", brown looking, and burned smelling.

My first need for ATF change, '01 F/awd RX300, was at only ~40,000 miles and am now approaching 80,000 and watching ATF condition VERY closely.
    la4mead: good insight indeed.

I first drained and filled my 99 twice at 47k (did the second d/f 200 miles apart), and it was the first time it had ever been done. The fluid was a darker red and was certainly not considered pristine. Since then, it has remained cherry red but granted I only have a little over 1k on it since, so I guess time will tell.

I also have an '05 330 with 30k on it and the fluid in that one is not perfect, but very close to cherry red...even though the 330's transmissions haven't experienced the hardships of the 1st generation, I am thinking maybe I do a couple of drain and fills on that one too.......sounds like cheap insurance for sure.

JBL
    "..but Lexus is not going to suggest it.."

When I discovered, at only ~40,000 miles, the burned state of my ATF I immediately contacted Lexus corporate. They, in turn, told me to bring the subject up with my dealer. Lexus of Bellevue recommeded (opportunistically, just as one should fully expect) that the transaxle ATF be drained, flushed, and replenished every 15,000 miles.

So I again contacted Lexus corporate who confirmed, in writing, the dealer recommendations.

I understand that the recommedations have been modified to say that the ATF should be inspected at every oil change and only changed out if required unless the ATF has accrued over 30,000 miles of use.

Due to the adoption of DBW to delay the onset of rising engine torque during a re-acceleration event the RX330 and later models do not share the premature tranaxle failure issues.

Just the danger, HAZARDS, of having an engine that does not always respond, mostly unpredictable so, situationally, to throttle inputs.
    "F/awd RX300"

Which is it, fwd or awd?
    I did try to post that information, but this forum prohibits the posting of numbers due to the fact that numbers change and invalid information would be posted.
    I just went to the main Lexus website and contacted them by phone- not the dealer- and spoke with customer service. I talked to them on three different occasions. I took notes about each conversation and had my "talking points" ready. I explained my frustrations and what my mechanic discovered, and how it was definitely a manufacturer issue. (see details posted from others on this forum). I tried to be as civil as possible, even though I was very upset. At first, they "denied" my request- but I asked the representative to speak with his supervisor- He did. I feel blessed that they paid anything. Good Luck ! :)
    We used our local mechanic- he did a great job! :D
    "Just the danger, HAZARDS, of having an engine that does not always respond, mostly unpredictable so, situationally, to throttle inputs"

Unfair characterization. If you have driven one you would know that the 330 responds just fine - never have I ever been in a situation that has ever been hazardous because of this so called hesitation that is spoken of. The only hazardous situation I have ever been in that car if at all, was brought on by me, and me only.
    Most "base" FWD vehicles that have the ability to couple engine torque to the rear wheels are either ALWAYS FWD torque biased or use ONLY front drive the majority of the time.

I have not yet found, do not know of, ANY "base" FWD vehicle, cross ways mounted engine, with rear drive capability "add-on" that should not be referred to as F/awd.

Of all these the Honda/Acura SH-AWD system comes closest to be a true AWD, even R/awd "situationally.
    Then you must be one of the very lucky ones, VERY lucky. Via various TSBs issued since about 2002 Lexus and Toyota have both described with great detail the different circumstances under which drivers might expect to encounter the 1-2 second re-acceleration downshift delay/hesitation.

And just look around you for the various owner posts, numbering in the hundreds (thousands..??) easily, complaining of this very problem.
    GREAT! - How pathetic taking the easy way out, you fell for the Lexus trap. They give you a bum product at a premium price and still make money from you from their mistake. You impowered the problem maker!!!!!
    "...How pathetic..."

Until you've had the experience of having to deal, personally, with a long drawn out lawsuit as this might involve you shouldn't belittle those that chose an alternative path.
    mr.boston,
    Ouch! How sad that you feel the need to pass such harsh judgment on a case you know so little about. Did you decide to file a class action? We all have to choose what is best for our own situation. One correction- Lexus did not make the repair- they made no profit.
    Best of Luck to you- Cheers!

Thank you, :) wwest, you are kind to respond and you are correct- our family is not in a position to endure any legal proceedings at this time.
    "..they made no profit..."

But they did, maybe no in the $ sense, but....
  • dtjrdtjr Member Posts: 1
    2000 RX300 AWD First Trans went out at 75,000 miles. Had a rebuilt Trans put in by AAMCO it went out after 22,000. Had another local shop put in a rebuild after 14,000 noticed it starting slipping. Took and traded it in for a KIA Sorento Loaded. Almost $ 8,000.00 in transmissions. What a Lexus. I talked to my local Lexus Dealer about the problem with the transmissions to no solution unless I wanted him to do the repair work. Never again will I own a Lexus. I just read in a email that toyota has agreed to extend the warranty on the 2001-3 RAV4 for bad transmissions and ECU. Also have agreed to Reimburse owners that have paid for repairs. This for past and present owners. Just wish they would take care of LEXUS in the same matter. Maybe or Hopefully this will be taken care of.
    LEXUS quality has gone down hill fast. They have obviously cut costs in order to
    make their profit. Our family has owned seven Lexuses and will NEVER buy
    another.
    "..LEXUS quality has gone down hill fast.."

WENT down hill fast...!

Slowly recovering.

Transaxle change in the initial RX300 series was a BIG mistook.

Some minor transaxle fixes by '01, more adequate fixes (DBW) for the RX330, and firmware revisions for the RX350. Transaxle problem, re-acceleration downshift delay, still exists today but at least the new 2010 RX350 has a more functional F/awd system, not yet adequate, but...

What Lexus now needs is a relabelled Venza (RX225..??) F/awd, with the I4 upgraded to DFI.

Maybe even an RX250h using the new F/awd system, the new I4 with DFI and the Otto/Atkinson multimode engine technique.
  • pamraglandpamragland Member Posts: 2
    I could not agree more Lexus quality has gone downhill. I have a lot of experience transforming very large companies such as Lexus. I can tell when a company has a pattern of not serving their customers and putting profits before customers, as opposed to an isolated incident. They are very clearly making major decisions that cost customers major money, as purely motivated by profit and probably also brand (if we don't admit it, then there is no problem with our cars.) When you have systemic problems such as what I am seeing, the entire company needs an overhaul not a car or two. And frankly, they are not ready to admit that.

My recent failed transmission on my RX300 at 90K alerted me to this issue. As I researched, I have found thousands of unhappy customers all in the same "premature transmission failure" boat. Once I realized it was a known design flaw on the part of Lexus, one for which they have refused to issue a Technical Service Bulletin or recall for, I was SHOCKED. First acceleration issues, now this. BTW there was a RAV-4 class action lawsuit for the same issue. Judging by how Lexus is handling my issue, my name will be at the top of one for RX owners.

Also, since Tustin Lexus neglected to even check my transmission fluid at 60K miles, which my own mechanic found BLACK at 74K when I had him change the breaks (causing me to lose faith in Tustin Lexus--it is a 60K mile item) I am also going to file a complaint with the Bureau of Automotive Repair. At the least I paid for service I did not get. Worse, by this time, Lexus well knew they had transmission issues with this vehicle (mine is just low miles for age) and should have been extra cautious with my transmission.

I escalated this through Customer Service at Lexus. I was given to someone named Paula in Torrance. When she listened to my story she said "wow" and they could only offer me 25% off a new transmission, reducing the total to $3,300. Some people may be happy with that, but I was outraged they would expect me to pay for their known design flaw. I asked to speak to her boss, which she on 7/8 promised me he (Terry Purlich) would call by the following Monday 7/12, and to this date Lexus has stonewalled & no call back. Don't LIE on top of everything else. She flat out said they were more than happy to let me pay for my repair somewhere else. Yeah, I bet they are. Another call on 7/13 informing Paula of her bosses failure to keep her promise has gone unanswered.

I see from other people even showing up in person doesn't help. My car still sits at Tustin Lexus (been there for 2 months.) Thankfully I have a Silverado to drive which ironically has more miles than my Lexus, and I have spent less in repairs on. NOT what I thought would be the case (it's a towing vehicle, I have been pro Toyota/Lexus for 30 years now.)

So, you are right. Both their quality and customer service have gone down hill. My only choice now appears to be a media campaign & to start the class action process. Anyone want to join me?? Unless they are forced to do business differently, it appears (just like BP) they are not going to.
    Yes, Lexus should be sued I agree 100%. Theri motto, "RELENTLESS PURSUIT OF PERFECTION" is a con job of the highest degree. Please emai me carloshernendez@aol.com
    "..RELENTLESS.." implies never actually getting "there" so the motto was changed to:

Passionate Pursuit of Perfection.
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    Please emai me ...

Let's keep the discussion here so everyone can benefit. We ask that you not include email addresses in posted messages. Thanks!

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
  • pamraglandpamragland Member Posts: 2
    Hi,
    After posting on the Facebook Lexus forum today, someone from the Excutive office at Lexus finally called me back. So, we'll see what they will actually do. It remains to be seen, especially because they didn't do the dealer service right.

I'll keep my posts here. I will probably create an informational site for this regardless so people can get to this & other forums like this discussing the issue. On the Facebook page, it is interesting other people knew the RX series has transmission issues (and honestly while it may have changed this still doesn't sound resolved...craziness.)

Pam
  • wuchenwuchen Member Posts: 3
    I traded my car in after two transmission failure. I rebuilt mine last year after 100,000 mile. Within a year, the transmission started to failure again. The shop has one year warrant, but they took the car back, and spent one month and still couldn't fix problem. I am tired of arguing with the shop, and traded in my Rx300 (2001), and bought a new Volvo XC-60. No more Lexus car or Toyoto car.
    edited July 2010
    "...especially because they didn't do the dealer service right...."

Actually the dealer did do the service right, by the book.

According to the owners manual and the dealer information available at the time of purchase my '01 F/awd RX300 did not require transaxle, ATF, service for the life of the vehicle.

Apparently that changed after the fact, first to every 15,000 miles and then to "check the ATF condition" at each engine oil change period. All of these latter changes done on the "QT" so as not to alert the RX300 owners that the vehicle had a problem.

Not surprising that some dealers didn't get the message.
  • michaelbrosemichaelbrose Member Posts: 1
    My 2002 Lexus RX300 transmission died at 88,000 miles. Transmission was hesitating in reverse for a while and had the transmission fluid recently changed. I had to get the car towed 50 miles back to my house. Called Lexus corporate and the dealers. Lexus customer service was not much help. After reading all the blogs about the transmission problems in the RX, I might sell the car for parts. Any suggestions?
    If their is a class action law suit, count me in.
    LEXUS motto "Relentless Pursuit of Excellence" is a lie.

They are defrauding everyone. I say take them to small claims court and make them pay for their poor quality control. After driving 50 years this is the first transmission I ever had fail!

I will never buy Lexus again.
    Parts..?? Nearby Seattle...? F/awd...???

I might be interested.
  • travelguy1travelguy1 Member Posts: 2
    edited August 2010
    I had to replace my transmission around 85K. Dealer stated that this problem "never" happens, and that they had never replaced one. Of course this is what they have told me at each repair that has been made on the vehicle. I would like to say be happy with the 3300 cost - mine was 4500 after had negotiations ( I should have traded it off ) but, any cost for the companies problems carried by the consumer is wrong.

I would be happy to join the class action. Let me know when and how.

G
  • rmjayhawkrmjayhawk Member Posts: 2
    I have a 200 RX 300 with 126,000 miles. It has been serviced at Firestone since the Lexus 100,000 mile service. I recently had the ignition coil and spark plug replaced, but when I drove away the car had an obvious transmission issue. I immediatley returned to Firestone, where the manager looked it over and told me that the transmission fluid had recently been replaced and the new fluid had damaged the transmission. I didn't do it, and no one has touched this car except Firestone. There are no records of any transmission work, and no one is volunteering that they made a mistake.
    Has anyone ever heard of this?
    edited August 2010
    Sorry to hear about your problems.

"...told me that the transmission fluid had recently been replaced and the new fluid had damaged the transmission."

What a line of BS. New fluid (as long as it's the correct type IV) does not damage the transmission. At 126,000 miles perhaps wear and/or lack of previous transmission maintenance (again using Type IV fluid) and heat had a negative effect on the transmission.

Was it done at Firestone? I don't trust transmission "flush" and I'd have my service done by a qualified, trusted mechanic who specializes in Asian transmissions, not a Firestone dealer.

It may be time to start shopping for a mechanic who specializes in transmissions for Asian cars, or maybe a Lexus or Toyota dealer. You may need a replacement of an updated design since some of the original transmissions may not wear too well, especially without common-sense transmission maintenance in addition to what Lexus recommended in their owners manual. Some other owners report trouble with third-party rebuilt units. My theory (opinion, not fact) is that some third-party units may have been rebuilt without all the current updates.

Good Luck!
  • rmjayhawkrmjayhawk Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for the feedback. I have talked to Firestone again this morning, and they are involving a claims person now and are paying for Lexus to look at the car and investigate.
    That's great. Good luck... and keep us posted.