Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Lexus RX Transmission Problems

Comments

• bobohiobobohio Member Posts: 1
    I just discovered yesterday that my ever-reliable Lexus RX300 needs a new transmission. Imagine my shock when I found so many reported problems that have gone unaddressed by Lexus. This will be my first and last Lexus ownership experience. After 4 Honda and Acura cars, I know what my my Lexus replacement will be.

Toyota also had a Tacoma frame rust problem that did not result in a recall. If your "heard" about the problem Toyota would inspect and buy back your vehicle. Otherwise, you were at risk of the frame rusting through.

Add me as support for a class action suit. Thanks for your post about the Lexus RX problem.
    Bob
  • mrbostonmrboston Member Posts: 43
    The RX 300 AWD transmission is junk, it has nothing to do with the trnny fluid.
    Our family had two one transmission went out at 103,000 the other at 107,000.
    These cars were driven like cream puffs with no teenage drivers.

Lexus lies when they say "The Relentless Pursuit of Perfection".
  • jonjungjonjung Member Posts: 1
    Recently had to replace the transmission on my wife's 2009 RX-300 at 112,000 miles.and after talking with the independent transmission shop and looking on-line, its obvious there is a design/mfg problem that Toyota is not owning yet. Not surprising, given the company's history. Does anyone have a class action lawsuit yet? I appreciate any help in recovering part of this cost. Jon in Denver
  • la4meadla4mead Member Posts: 347
    Yes, there are a lot of failures by that age/mileage, however the fluid definately does matter.
  • rinetti1rinetti1 Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2001 lexus rx 3000 with 90,000 miles and find out that not only the 90,000 mile service is due, but i also need a new tranny. I've done ALL maintenence by the book at Lexus and Toyota dealerships. Lexus is going to pay for parts and i have to cough up the labor costs, just on the tranny. The 90,000 mile service i will pay for and then i think i will try to trade it in. Atleast i'll get more out of the vehicle this way.OR... does anyone know how many miles i can get out os a rebuilt tranny?
    If Lexus rebuilds it themselves with all the updates, your chances for longer transmission life are pretty good.

Then, regardless of what Lexus has in their maintenece by the book (pretty much replace trans rather than service), I wouldn't go more than 15,000 miles or every two years without transmission service specifically with type IV fluid. Some folks on ClubLexus, etc. suggest every year. Actually, that's pretty standard with people who like to keep their cars a long time, especially cars with transverse powertrains.

Fluid condition can be used to guage wear. You can check the fluid condition a few times per year (very easy); pull the dipstick (the one on the right side of the engine is marked trans) looking for a change in it's appearance and/or smell on a white paper towel. It should remain pink with it's industrial type smell, rather than burned smell. If the rebuilt unit no longer burns the fluid (appearance & smell) or gets dark (indicating wear) during those intervals, it will likely last you a long time. Then, that transmission will probably take you a long way without problems.

At that point you can decide: It depends on how well you like the car otherwise... You are likely to lose a lot at trade-in.

Reports of failures on third-party rebuilds (an exchange of a transmission rebuilt elsewhere) seem to suggest some of those might be less reliable than if rebuilt by Lexus.

After 10 years and 90,000 miles it actually sounds like you might be getting a pretty decent deal if your cost for rebuilding the transmission at the Lexus dealer is about $3500-4000 or less, you are probably fairing much better than a law suit, and your dealer keeps you as a (semi-happy) customer. Please share with us how it all goes. Best luck to you.
  • rinetti1rinetti1 Member Posts: 2
    DUMP IT! Save yourself some money and headaches. I'll be getting our 2001 RX 300 out of the shop this week for a tranny failure that is costing us $ 2000.00 and then i will be trading it in, just to save myself some future problems. I had to spend 2000.00 in order to get a decient trade value otherwise the car would of been worth nothing. The tranny is as much as the car is worth.
  • lee7194lee7194 Member Posts: 4
    Some RX300s go a truly long way, essentially trouble free until normal wear sets in. My 2001 AWD has 370,000 miles and still runs very well. I drive it 5 times a week between Tampa and Orlando.

I replaced tranny at 315,000 with dealer factory rebuilt for $4,200 that included replacing motor mounts. Flushed every 50,000 and no service issues until replacement. Shifts great except now no overdrive due to bad knock sensor

Replaced one engine O2 sensor at about 200k and now needs bank 2 knock sensor at 370k. I will replace both and the old wire harness. Can anyone provide good, reliable online OEM source for the 2 K sensors and wire harness? THANKS
    I "only" have 130,000 miles, and apart from the too-benign handling, a couple crappy door lock solenoids, and the original transmission (replaced with a new, updated trans under warrantee at no charge by Lexus) this car has been pretty trouble-free (but not perfect like most people expect because it has an "L" on the grill). And Lexus went beyond their warrantee for many updates that another make would not have.

My friend has a 2000 AWD with nearly 300,000 Southern California stop-&-go fast commute miles, his has been trouble-free on the original transmission.

Go figure... How many thousands of these did Lexus sell? Yeah, the original transmissions were of sloppy design, but that doesn't mean they are all bad or junk. Check out the other cars this competed with when designed in 1998, and the durability of those transmissions on those. I've been happy with my RX except the bland. tippy handling (I think their benchmark was to be better than Jeep Grand Cherokee, a rather low bar to hurdle). This car has been comfortable, reliable, and provides excellent utility for it's size.

If your RX is only worth $2000 to you, you'd be better off trading it in for a car that you would be happy with.
  • tickedatlexustickedatlexus Member Posts: 8
    Thanks for mentioning NHTSA & including their link - I wouldn't have thought of that. I just posted my complaint:

The transmission in my 2001 Lexus RX300 failed with a little over 108K miles. No warning lights came on. I had trouble getting it in reverse 2 days before - thought it was a fluke. Then I had trouble starting it for 2 days. On 8/16 it started fine, so I drove it to the dealer. Twice on the way there, it jerked & hesitated when accelerating from a stop - I almost got rear ended.

I am the 2nd owner - I bought it in 2003 with 41,462 miles on it. It was Lexus Certified Pre-Owned. The Car Fax report noted the original owner registered it as private/personal use & no issues were noted. I have had all service done by the dealer, except the last oil change. I've only driven about 9K miles per year, drive it responsibly & have never towed with it. Very frightening that I had few symptoms, and no warning light to alert me there was a problem.

Lexus dealer wants $4,300 to replace it with a Lexus remanufactured transmission. I have not decided what to do. I'm seeing lots of information online about how bad these transmissions are, and they often need replaced multiple times. Scares me to know I could replace it, have it fail & perhaps be in an accident. I am a Realtor & frightening that I could have been in an accident with clients in my vehicle. My expectations of Lexus quality & safety have not been met.
  • volvo98v70volvo98v70 Member Posts: 1
    Our RX 300 was subjected to an inadvertant shift in to Park while driving along the highway...

Now the transmission does not have a park setting.

What is best course of action?
  • raigahraigah Member Posts: 1
    I had lexus pay more than 50% of my transmission replacement cost. See my experience at http://lexustransmissionproblem.blogspot.com/
    Lexus has more than a 50% markup on parts. Thus, Lexus still made profit from selling you a replacement! The made lots of money when they sold you a car with a bad transmission.

RELENTLESS PURSUIT OF EXCELLENCE not!
  • tickedatlexustickedatlexus Member Posts: 8
    Hearing that my 2001 RX300 tranny failed at 108K miles was horrible. I explored alternatives & when I called the dealer to say I'd decided to have it rebuilt (half the dealer's quote for a remanufactured tranny) they asked me to wait a few more days - they had submitted it to Lexus for 'goodwill'. Lexus did split the bill (although I didn't get a wholesale price) & I paid $2,250.. The dealer never pressured me to make a decision, and I had a free loaner for about 15 days.

I was thrilled to get it back - but that faded quickly - the next day the Check Engine light came on, because of an O2 sensor - cost $492. This is the 2nd O2 sensor I've had to replace - I understand there are 4 O2 sensors - anybody else having to replace O2 sensors?

Also - please let me know how trustworthy a Lexus reman tranny is? I have a 1 yr parts & labor warranty.
  • mvp01mvp01 Member Posts: 1
    Got my rx from a private party 6 mo ago. Perfect condition at 131K and drove smoothly for all those months. Clean title, 3 owners.
    3 days ago it hesitated in reverse, and would jerk when shifting between gears, mostly at city speeds. Went to Lexus of Tacoma at Fife, WA, and told them my transmission is acting up, please check. Next day I pick it up, and the clerk says "Nothing wrong with the transmission, you need timing belt service and your water pump is leaking and you are almost out of ATF. We'll do a tran. flush as well" I told them that if indeed my transmission is problematic, it will die after a flush, do drain-refill, but the clerk insisted on a flush. So for all that I paid 1600 in one payment, and the next day the car is tripping again. In less than 48 hrs I was standing on the shoulder by my work :sick: waiting to be towed to Lexus dealership. That time they did take their time with the transmission and did tell me that I would need a new transmission! DUH! I came to the dealer asking them to check the transmission in the first place! Did I fall into a typical dealer trap? I called them back, and the manager is willing to refund me for the transmission flush, around 300 dollars and offers a 10% off on new transmission service. I'm not going to accept. Most likely will file a claim as soon as I decide the negotiations are not going anywhere tomorrow. I have the original papers where the clerk wrote up the issues I had , and the recommendations which had nothing to do with those issues. I also have a witness which was present with me at the time I explained myself to the clerk. Will see tomorrow, how to proceed with this.
    At the meantime, I hear a lot of noise about a class action lawsuit. This is REAL, people, if you don't have time - MAKE TIME!! I also have a full-time job, but I'm willing to contribute my time to this. Is there a centralized site? A primary contact? If we do proceed we need to be organized and RELENTLESS! It is possible that in case of win, there will be no recalls for 99-03 vehicles with defect tranny, but they will stop selling those vehicles on the market, and anyone who is owning one and experiences problems which pertain to transmission, will have a right to appear at any Lexus dealership and request free transmission repairs/replacement. If this is a known and acknowledged flaw, it calls for class action lawsuit. Count me in!
    I'll bet you any money within the next 30 days your transmission will
    be gone.

These transmissions on the 2000 and 2001 RX 300 were designed
    poorly and should have been recalled.

We had two in the family and both transmissions went out at the
    same mileage 108,000. Never towed anything, no teenage
    drivers. Driven like a cupcake.
  • irishjoeirishjoe Member Posts: 1
    I am looking at two RX300's one is 04 and the other is 05 they both have about 70.000 miles. Has the problem with Trans been sorted buy this year of manufacture If not how do I test for problem.
    Hi Irishjoe,

You may want to check the RX330 forum http://townhall-talk.edmunds.com/WebX/.ef22a65/1650
    '04 and '05 RX330's both saw significant changes and different (5 speed) transmission than earlier RX300's. I'd go with the '04 over the '05 because '04 was the first year for the redesign and '05 had lots of little improvements over the first model year.

Good luck!
    Lexus corrected the transmission problem after '02 so you should be fine.

1999 - 2002 the transmissions on the AWD were junk!
    edited September 2010
    The early FWD trannies weren't very stout either. Lexus replaced mine under warrantee, including a loaner. The original was problematic right from the start. The burned fluid was tell-all, and started right away when it was new.

Still, my friend still has a 2000 RX300 AWD, a So. Cal. commuter with way over 200,000 miles (he drives it hard, too) and it's held up great, only he knows to ask for the tranny to be serviced. Many people only buy the packaged "suggested" service the dealer offers, and they don't do tranny service.
  • wwestwwest Member Posts: 10,706
    I suspect you meant to say RX330. With the RX330 Lexus adopted DBW, E-throttle, to "protect the drive train", prevent premature failures of the transaxle.

In return you get a 1-2 second re-acceleration downshift delay/hesitation due to the engine being kept at idle what a second shift is required shortly after a previous one.
    The RX300's FWD and F/awd transaxles were actually the same, it's just that the F/awd version has to endure more stress and HEATING, so more of those failed and/or failed earlier. In '01 the rear drive coupling factor of the VC was significantly reduced, enough to make the FWD vs F/awd transaxle failure rate basically equal.

Due to the adoption of TC across the board, FWD and F/awd '01 and after models, the VC was pretty much non-functional, so much so that it was eliminated entirely for the entire RX330 model, and quite possibly even the RX350 prior to 2010.
  • mjm55mjm55 Member Posts: 2
    I recently bought a 2007 Lexus ES 350 certified pre owned with 9,500 miles on it. I now have 26,000 miles and my transmission is being replaced by the dealer this weekend.

The first time it was brought in for transmission problems, they said the transmission fluid was low (hmm--its a sealed system) and that the software needed to be reset. I picked it up the next day and drove it home. Took the car out to go to work and 12 miles into my trip the master warning light, along with several other warning lights and a VSC message. The transmission started up with the jerky acceleration and stumbling deceleration. This time they agreed it was faulty and would replace it.
    Will keep you posted on the new transmission.
    More likely than otherwise your dealer inadvertently FAILED the transaxle by over-filling it with ATF. The service manual is very STRICT with regards to the proper filling of these transaxles, they want it filled within 1/8 qt of factory specs.
  • sandiliangsandiliang Member Posts: 1
    the EXACT same thing happened to me!!! I was in the dealership thinking there is a transmission problem, but they didn't think there was a problem. And that was about a week or so after I spent $2000 for the service and some parts. So when I went on a roadtrip with the fam, my car ended up dead on the side of the road about 400 miles from my house!!! and now I am scrambling to find a transmission to go into my car without costing me an arm and a leg!!! If there's a class action, count me in!
  • jbl85jbl85 Member Posts: 49
    I have heard many opinions on this and other boards - the transmission fluid in my RX330 is way above full when the car is cool, but at operating temperature, it is just barely above full. I have found it is very difficult to determine what the exact levels are because of this.
    You're only supposed to check the ATF level with the engine running. Otherwise the ATF drains from all the components, clutch pistons, torque converter, etc, and you find a HIGH level in the sump.
    I know that when I check mine, it takes more than one try to get an accurate reading, cool or hot. But it must be checked with the engine running and after driving at least a short distance after all components are pressurized.
    RX 300 Transmission is junk. They all seem to fail at 105,000 miles. Our family has had two RX 300 and both transmissions failed. These cars were driven like kittens
    no towing or teenage drivers.

Lexus quality has gone way down hill.

I will never buy another Lexus and I have owned seven and bought the first LS 400
    in 1990.
  • naperleighnaperleigh Member Posts: 7
    :lemon: I echo your disappointment with Lexus. I just paid $5600 for a trans on 1999 Rx with 96,000 miles on it. I have an ES and now waiting for that to go out as well.. I e mailed Lexus US HQ's and received 0 response.Fortunately there are a lot of alternatives to turn to (Acura,Audi, Mercedes etc). Consumer Reports still recomends the RX as a great used car purchase....If anyone is interested, I will sell them mine pretty cheap.
  • chriswhitechriswhite Member Posts: 2
    OK everyone. I have searched in vain to see if there is actually an active Class Action Lawsuit ongoing with Lexus. There are a couple of issues here. One, we have sudden, unexplained transmission failures. In fact, I am on these boards right now because I almost had an accident about 3 hours ago due to the transmission in my 2000 pre-owned RX300 failing, no waring, nothing. Secondly, the car was said to be "towable" as in four tires on the ground, and towable behind a coach or RV. Several folks have had transmission failures after towing so there is obvious a problem. Heck, in the couple of hours since I have been back home, I have found so many complaints via google specifically regarding the RX300 that I am convinced it is something Lexus has to know about. I have contacted a law firm ALREADY who specializes in class actions. This is not about the money (actually it is - I mean I don't want to pop for a $5000 repair when it is an issue Lexus should be taking care of) but it more about making them accountable. I want to compile a list of folks with problems. It appears the years affected are 1999 - 2002. My email address is ContactChrisWhite AT gmail DOT com and I would be more than happy to start working on this. I am pissed and I know that there are those of you out there who share my feelings. I know if I don't jump on this now, I will pay the repair bill and just get over it but that's not right. So feel free to contact me. Shoot, I will even put my cell number out there. Stupid? Maybe, but someone has to get the ball rolling. Call me. I'm central time zone, US and my # is 850-712-6962

Let's do this.
  • gbryantgbryant Member Posts: 9
    Stanley Chassley, a very prominent class action lawyer in Cincinnati , has been, at my request, reviewing this situation for a class action law suit. However,on Friday I received a letter from Stanley telling me that he would not be pursuing it.
  • chriswhitechriswhite Member Posts: 2
    Well that's disappointing but glad to see others are stirring the pot. I will continue with my firm if anyone wants to attempt to follow through. I think the more we can come together, the more seriously Lexus will take us. My offer still stands if anyone wants to call or email me. I am NOT a lawyer, just a disappointed Lexus owner, for what it's worth.
  • avery1avery1 Member Posts: 373
    Did he give a reason?
  • notlexusloyalnotlexusloyal Member Posts: 6
    I am interested in joining a class action. I really just want Lexus to buy back my vehicle, so I can just move on. I hate driving it because I am always worried that it's going to have another issue with the transmission. :mad:
    edited October 2010
    Transmission failures seem to be more common with the '99-'00 RX300 model years.

By 2001 the reactive F/awd system using a VC had been abandoned in favor of TC use, "last minute" TC use, to reapportioning engine torque to the rear.

The base problem, beginning with the introduction of the RX series, was the result of a design change to the transaxle's internal operation, abolition of the earlier ATF pressure sustainment system in favor of a "real-time", "reactive", ATF pressure control system.

That resulted in the inability of RX transaxles of that period to provide a quick re-acceleration downshift. So the downshift sequence was done with ATF line pressure being inadequate in firmly/fully engaging the clutches used in the downshift gear ratio.

Other than the castrating of the F/awd system with the 2001 and on, until the RX330 arrived, I really don't know what was done to help alleviate the premature transaxle
    failures. As a result of the burned condition of my F/awd '01 RX300's ATF at only 40,000 miles I suspect there was a firmware control change that kept the "real-time" ATF line pressure at an elevated level ALL THE TIME in order to reduce the wear rate of those downshift clutches.

I also suspect that my '01's extra ATF cooling radiator was actually a factory requirment for the F/awd system, not really a "tow hitch" option. Sustaining the "real-time" ATF line pressure at a even a slightly higher level than the initial design called for would undoubted result in localized, right at the ATF gear type pump, overheating of the ATF.

With the introduction of the RX330 the VC was dropped entirely(***) and DBW was adopted and used to delay, 1-2 second delay, the onset of rising engine torque subsequent to a downshift resulting from a re-acceleration sequence.

*** In 2001 the F/awd system became a "one-wheel drive system" absent the belated, "last-minute", REACTIVE ONLY, activation of TC. So there was no reason to include the cost of the VC beyond that point.

Some time later, '08(?), firmware was added that watches the driver's actions on the brake and accelerator pedals in order to more accurately predict when/if a reacceleration activity is upcoming. If the system predicts a reacceleration event is likely then the transaxle will remain in the lower gear ratio. On a normal accelerator pedal "lift" the transaxle would quickly upshift. If the accelerator lift is "fast" that would often indicate a desire to slow using engine compression braking and thus remaining in the current lower gear ratio would be more appropreate.
  • mbrosenymbroseny Member Posts: 5
    The 2002 RX's had the same problem. Transmission burnt out with 88,000 miles on my RX300 AWD.
    It almost sounds like a change in driving habits might help the situation. Realizing that can be impractical, but if you decided to come to a complete stop before re-accelerating instead getting on the gas after you have slowed down and the trans has had a chance to downshift?

Also, it seems to me that if the majority of miles in this car ('99-'00) are highway miles than theoretically you are at less risk?
  • gbryantgbryant Member Posts: 9
    No. But he did caution to be aware of the statue of limitations but didn't say what that is. Probably varies state-to-state.
  • go2italygo2italy Member Posts: 1
    I just wrote the $2800 check yesterday for the rebuilt transmission on my 2000 AWD. I think I got a deal through a mechanic who's a friend of mine but anyway, the car only has 119,000 miles on it - mostly highway. The mechanic said the "planet gear assembly" failed and it was caused by low speed towing. Does that make sense?
    How much towing would you say you did? What did you tow and how much did it weigh?
    edited October 2010
    Towing may exacerbate the condition; The RX comes with a transmission design that is, well, less-than-stout. Wear tends to show itself in the form of contaminated (from worn parts) and/or burned fluid long before failure, and Lexus mfr and service - like many cars - does not make frequent transmission service a recommendation. Sometimes (if at all) the dealer will advise to "flush" the fluid, but that often makes problems worse. Lexus and Toyota do not service the transmission (until it needs to be rebuilt or replaced). Any dealer service dept. I've asked said they only flush.

Still, nearly 120,000 miles and towing too, that's pretty good (but not great) longevity for a "SUV" these days.

I tow (very rare) but I added an additional cooler and thermostatic fan in addition to the factory's "tow package" cooler in the passenger fender well after my trans was replaced. I also cut larger ventilation holes the plastic fender liner behind the cooler to allow better air flow. When I do tow, (very light motorcycle trailer) I always upshift manually (well into the RPM range) and lock-out 4th gear (OD). I never leave it in "D" when I'm stopped in traffic - use neutral until it's time to go. I notice that the only time the extra fan thermostat needs to come on is during low-speed maneuvers, traffic, and when I stop. The rest of the time the fluid stays cool from air flow (at speed). I'm always thoughtful of the RX's tendency to burn fluid. But these are things I do when I'm driving my Ford trucks, too.

My RX is not on the original trans, either. It was replaced with a brand-new when I reported burning fluid and shift problems under warrantee (and before I ever towed anything). I was told my new one is a more modern design and it does not burn fluid or have shift issues like my original and others have complained about.

I recommend to any RX owner to check the fluid yourself (often) for contamination from wear and/or burning whether you tow or not. Do not rely on the dealer to do this. It's easy; just pull the dipstick and wipe it on a clean white paper towel. Inspect for color (bright pink) and smell. Also, make sure you take it to a (trustworthy) transmission shop for transmission (specific) service, and they will show you any wear from the pan magnet and filter.

It's a good car, but the transmission can be a weak spot if left unchecked. I hope you enjoy it for another 120,000 or more.
    The AWD has a flawed design which Toyota knows about, but hopes we
    all don't call them on it. Lexus abandoned the reactive system in favor of
    TC use to reapportion engine torgue to rear wheels.

ATF line pressure was inadequate to firmly engage the clutches. The result
    the clutches simply worn out. The transmission fluid after just one years will
    show a very high concentration of metal particles.

Toyota madde a [non-permissible content removed] product and refuses to take responsibility!
    edited October 2010
    You're right the original transmission design was "[non-permissible content removed]" but they have been taking responsibility for a long time... going back to cars built in 1998. They have been extending partial cost-sharing for some owners of cars more than 8-12 years old, long out of warrantee repaired at their dealers, not likely because there is any incentive other than to help earn customer "loyalty". Most other manufacturers of cars (that age) would not likely be nearly as helpful for transmission failures this far out of warrantee. Ford laughed all the way to the bank about Windstars, Taurus's, Sables, etc. Chrysler, GM, MBZ, Audi... Many thousands of RX's keep on going... without premature transmission trouble.
    But it is a bummer whenever you have to deal with an expensive repair on any car, and I don't mean to down play it. I'm just lucky I'm suspicious by nature, and had been on top of it while the car was under warrantee (which for 1999 models was 7/70 standard) and Lexus responded. But that was a long time ago.
    Lesson learned: Personally take responsibility to check the trans fluid often, and have the transmission serviced often. Don't rely on dealers and especially quick-lube shops. I'd do this on any car in my garage.
  • tamikotamiko Member Posts: 1
    I am currently experiencing the same problem 2001 RX and it is costing me $4,800, I sure wish I knew where the $2,000 person recieved repairs........At any rate I will not be a Lexus loyal.
    LEXUS HAS KNOWN ABOUT THE PROBLEM BUT HAS REFUSED TO CORRECT
    IT.

Go to small claims court as I did . This transmission is junk. WE had two cars
    both failed and not once did we tow anything, or have a teenage driver.

LEXUS SHOULD BE ASHAMED.
  • hanky576hanky576 Member Posts: 1
    Just got off the phone with Lexus and they won't even consider it as I dont take it to the dealer to get serviced. I take it to a Lexus Specialist as he only repairs Lexus and Toyota's but apparently that isn't good enough. This is a major problem as I have read a bunch of these posts. My guy can repair it as its AWD for about $4000 with a brand new tranny from Lexus. How did small claims court do for you?
    $4,000 parts and labor would most likely be a rebuilt (by Lexus?) not a brand new transaxle. Besides the availability of a new RX300 transaxle still being on someone's shelf is pretty low.
    Yeah, I would ask them if it's rebuilt or new and if it is a Lexus rebuilt (or done by a 3rd party). When they ordered mine new from Kyushu it took nearly a couple weeks for the dealer to get it (after they tried two rebuilt units that were not updated back in '04, their solution was to get approval for a new (really) updated transmission on a nearly six year-old car that was still under warrantee).
    '01 F/awd RX300.

Just as I should have expected, just as it was at 40,000 miles, my RX's ATF was dark brown and smelled burned. I have checked it at every oil and filter change, on the average twice a year, and up until now it appeared to be okay.

Drained 4.5 qts inclusive of the diff'l drain, and re-filled with 4.5 qts of factory specified ATF. As I did before at 40,000 miles I will repeat the drain and refill in a week or so.

Observations....

As I drained the ATF it was not so hot dripping on my hands and fingers as to be really discomforting. I had just driven it about 25 miles and then directly into the garage to drain. I have the practice of draining engine oil this quickly so that any particulates will remain in suspension and be drained along with the oil.

The engine oil is always HOT and quite discomforting so given that the ATF is clearly showing signs of being over-heated, burned, I find this somewhat surprising.

My conclusion is now more firm in that I believe the heating, OVER-heating, of the ATF is localized, most likely ATF pump, and so the extra external cooler, tow package, my RX came with is probably useless since I don't tow.

I remain fully expectant that my transaxle will fail before reaching 120,000 miles at which point I will repair and the RX will become a R/awd vehicle. SOLID drive coupling to the rear and an early VC, '99-'00, for coupling in the front drive.