Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Lexus RX Transmission Problems

Comments

• wwestwwest Member Posts: 10,706
    It appears that the '99 (for SURE) and possibly the '00 RX300 series suffers from premature transaxle failure typically in the range of 70-80,000 miles.

Even my '01 AWD RX300 was showing symptoms (burned ATF) of a design flaw as early as 40,000 miles.

I suspect that when the Camry transaxle was initially adapted for the larger and HEAVIER RX series it needed to be BEEFED up here and there and the engineers missed a few "corners".

Your dealer should be very well aware of this issue and therefore willing to discuss with you any possible alternative solutions.

You can search for "toyota", "DBW", and "hesitation", for clarifying posts.

As of the introduction of the RX330 Toyota adopted a DBW, e-throttle system so it could be programmed to "protect the drive train", prevent the engine torque from rising until the transaxle downshifting clutches can fully and firmly seat when you depress the gas pedal enough to "force" a downshift.

In the meantime the RX300 series is left to "suffer", wear out the clutch surfaces prematurely, since with a "hard" mechanical coupling to the throttle valve the rising of engine torque cannot as easily be delayed.
  • sallyksallyk Member Posts: 9
    Thank you. I took it in to my mechanic who admitted that he hadn't seen a lot of problems so he checked with his transmission guy who knew EXACTLY what the problem was even before my mechanic finished his sentence. I had my mechanic call the Lexus Dealership and tell him what his findings were (since I don't speak the same language). They have continued to offer to buy the car back (I don't want to give the car back). They told me to pick up the car from my mechanic and await further word. After reading your reply, should I be concerned that even if the transmission is replaced that other parts have suffered because of this problem and that they'll end up "breaking" even though I have the transmission replaced? Should I just let them buy it back? (It's 100% mint interior and exterior and just seems a shame to give back). I'll await further directive. Thanks!
  • la4meadla4mead Member Posts: 347
    Hi Damsel and others with similar issues on the *1999* RX. After Mr. West's post I wanted to add some information specific to the '99 model from my experiences. The '99 had a few different issues with the original transmissions. If the Lexus dealer is offering to replace the transmission, I think you will have a fine car.

First, the '99 models do have a TSB (mention Technical Service Bulletin) that the Lexus service department should be fully aware of, as the "valve body" on that transmission was always a problem, and Lexus realized it right away. On my early '99 built in '98, it caused a "slamming shift" between first and second gears, only when the vehicle was cold, and only in cooler weather (I live in a warm climate so it happened rarely). When this continues to occur, it contributes to the premature wear, along with the issues Mr. West mentioned.

However, when my transmission was replaced with a factory new unit (at Lexus's expense), the new transmission not only does not have this problem, but is a more modern design without the "delayed" shift pattern that Mr. West mentioned. Most importantly, I no longer get the burned fluid indicating the durability is in question, and am now impressed that the new unit will last a long time as long as it isn't abused or left for extended idling to run the air when parked.

Also, when Lexus replaced the transmission, they checked to make sure nothing else was damaged (like CV joints, etc.) and nothing else was/has been since, except they were kind enough to find a cracked exhaust pipe that wasn't related and took care of that at the same time.

There is something else which may be what you are experiencing and it isn't a problem. I can't tell from your question. The '99s have a cold shift pattern programmed so that the transmission shifts "late" at about 3000 RPM for second gear when the engine temp is cold (the needle hasn't moved off the "C"), but just drive easily until it warms up. Year 2000 and later don't have this issue. That continues on the '99 even with the modern transmission replacement I had in '04.

Other than the transmission, Lexus should check for engine "oil gelling" that occurred under certain conditions, but you would have seen blue smoke if that were a problem. Mine, as well as most, has not had this problem.

If the transmission is good (or especially if Lexus replaces it with a new factory unit) and frequent oil changes and transmission service, you are likely to have a reliable and fine little wagon.

You can search this forum and the other RX300 forums and find issues people had problems with (especially this same topic) but remember to take those posts within the context that most posts are about problems on any model of car.

Welcome to the forum, we are looking forward to your input from your experiences.
    Mine is actually a 2000. This forum is a great deal of help. Thanks to Mr. West and yourself for explaining this to me in understandable terms. I will continue to watch the feedback.
    I agree, if the dealer is willing to replace the transaxle (Lexus will probably at least partially compensate) you should go for it.

There is one more issue you might want to aware of if you live in the "northern" reaches. You might want to google for:

wwest demist denso
    Just thought you might find it interesting that my car has been in the shop (at the dealership) for 10 days now. What do you think they're doing with it? I'm not too concerned since I don't have to pay for whatever they're doing AND I'm driving a loaner car...a 2007 RX350 which is awesome!
    Well, your service writer should give you updates, however when they replaced mine they took longer than was expected because the dealer tried to get a brand-new transmission, but Lexus only approved a factory rebuilt to be replaced under warrantee. After trying (fully installing and road testing) two rebuilt transmissions available locally which failed to test to their standards, Lexus corporate finally approved a Japanese factory brand-new updated unit. By the time they got approval to order the new tranny from Lexus, they had already had the car for several days. I gladly went along with this, and am glad I did. The rebuilt ones are probably better now than they were then.

The worst part was that the dealer was out of Lexus loaners when I originally dropped the car off for an "inspection" when the dealer suggested they would replace the whole transmission under warrantee rather than fix it, but I could get an Enterprise rental at their expense.

That meant I was stuck with the crappiest Neon I'd ever driven. No cruise, no power locks, 3-speed tranny, no "neon" at all, and I didn't think they built them without power windows then, but I had one. So I was glad to finally have my car back with a "new" transmission which they assured me had all the modern updates, since the original design seemed flawed. I think they had the car close to two weeks by the time they were satisfied, and I'm glad we were able to take their time.

Moral: If they take their time and get it right to earn your satisfaction, and they are providing a nice car while doing it, it's worth the wait. I would expect updates from them after this time, though.
  • marta3marta3 Member Posts: 3
    I have a 2005 Lexus RX330 with25K miles; Ran over some rebar and blew out my left front tire.(Michelin) Replaced with Goodyear spare. Dealer says uneven tread will damage transmission and I must immediately purchase three new Goodyear's, or four new Michelin's. Same dealer insisted I needed new brakes at 11,000 miles. Totally untrue, so I can't trust him. Any advice will be greatly appreciated. Don't want to throw money away on tires, but will buy them if necessary, of course. Hesitant to drive until issue is resolved. ( I'm going to post this same request on the repair forum, since I'm not sure if this is the right place and need an answer quickly)
    Your dealer may not be aware that the RX330 series DOES NOT have a VC, Viscous Clutch, as does the RX300 and RX350. Provided TC doesn't kick in disparate tread depth will not matter.
    I have been very happy with Mr. West's feedback. If you don't trust the dealership (I seldom do), do some research (this forum is a good one) and start asking around about local mechanics, tire shops, etc. Go to Yahoo's website and use their "local" feature to type in some local businesses that offer service, tires, etc. and see if there is any feedback or reviews on the place. I am very fortunate to have a VERY wonderful mechanic a few minutes away from where I work in Pewaukee, WI. I hate to say it but I think you may be in the process of being taken advantage of. Do your research.
    Hey Damsel,

Did you end up getting the RX300 back from the Lexus dealer with a new or rebuilt transmission?

How did that all turn out?
    Yes, I got my car back after they'd had it for about three and a half weeks (they provided me with a lovely 2007 RX350 loaner so I didn't care how long it took to fix my car...lol). They replaced the transmission with a rebuilt one. It doesn't play any of the bad tricks (jerking between gears) it did previously and I'm just loving this vehicle. We're expecting our first snow this weekend and this will give me a chance to try out the AWD. I can't say I like snow (we're actually supposed to get snow, then ice, then rain) but hopefully this vehicle will handle well. Thanks for your interest...happy holidays!
  • avery1avery1 Member Posts: 373
    Let us know how it handles the snow and ice.
  • valthecosmovalthecosmo Member Posts: 2
    It`s nice to see other people share their experience about the car you drive as well. When it snows you will enjoy this car even better of course, that ( 4WD ) puts you in so much power, aside from the fact that it`s a great vihecle all around any way. As for the transmission, it took them 4-5 days to put a rebuilt one in mine, and now it drives like a charm. Cheers, and happy holidays. LEXUS RULES!!!!
  • pulleypulley Member Posts: 2
    This is my first attempt at chat rooms? Blogs?, so please be patient. I want to reach other people who have had the transmission of their RX 300's die way too soon. In my case, 67,000 miles. Is the problem so wide spread a class action suit is viable? In Las Vegas, a rebuilt transmission costs $4,745, with a $1,000 discount if they keep the core. Labor will be $4,000, +-. . Is that in line with other parts of the country?
    My guess is that a lawsuit won't help, but I don't know. You might have a better outcome (like many others have) by looking for an out of warrantee accommodation, which Lexus has been helpful with, situation by situation. I really don't know the criteria, but I had a good experience when I reported trouble before the warrantee expired and then again just before 70,000 miles. Lots of folks have had a dealer give them a break on the cost of labor on out-of-warrantee transmission repairs or get Lexus to pay for the whole thing either to encourage your patronage or if you've established a relationship with them, especially if you've been having them service it or can show you've reported a history of transmission problems before the comparatively long warrantee ended. They've known the durability of the original units has been an issue all along.

However, the dealer may give you the full retail quote and say "tough break" to try to get the whole retail price, maybe. The price you quoted seems confusing, ($4000 labor?) even at a Lexus dealer. I would try another dealer for a more competitive or straightforward price. I think others have said a competitive price was about or under $4000 complete. Regarding the transmission, I'd be wary of an aftermarket rebuilt unit (one not rebuilt by Lexus, as in going to a tranny shop for a slightly lower price), even though I sometimes buy certain aftermarket parts. There have been many updates, and I'd want to be sure to get the most modern (durable) version if I had to pay for a rebuilt transmission, because the earlier models were trouble prone, rather than have the same old issues again. More likely the slight difference in price compared to a repair shop, Lexus will be more willing to help in lots of little ways. They are looking to build a working relationship with you, and the RX300's transmission has been a sore spot for many owners and a poor reflection of their product.

You may want to search this and the main RX 300 threads for lots and lots of info, or just scroll through some of the more recent posts from others with problems.

P.S. Heat, especially from extended idling or heavy traffic with the A/C on in the summer is the enemy of automatic transmissions, and especially with transverse mounted engines (with the exhaust run under the transmission). More so in hot climates and perhaps with the RX, because folks expect a Lexus to behave a certain way (auto a/c delivering lots of cool air in the cabin), and the engine temp guage never wavers. Once you have yours rebuilt, I suggest you might add an additional trans cooler, which can be sourced at a trans shop or if you are a DIY it's pretty easy to add another cooler behind the factory trans cooler in the fender, to further protect the investment in a new transmission (cheap insurance). You can check my CarSpace page, I posted some photos, etc.
  • pulleypulley Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for the info. Given the summer temperatures here in Vegas are always triple digit, and the trafffic continues to increase, I guess an RX 300 is a poor choice for me. If this vehicle has a 6 year, 70,000 mile warranty, shouldn't it be good until the end of this year? Or does it not transfer? (I bought the car used.)
    My own mechanic, who I have used for many years, and trust absolutely, says it will cost $8,000 +- for a another transmission, and is the same quote I'm getting from Lexus, and that is for a rebuilt, not new transmission. Talk about sticker shock! Especially after reading so many messages from people who were quoted half that.
    I am meeting with the Lexus people tomorrow. They say they will take my car as a trade-in on a new one. I owe $12,000 on it, so if they give me that much as a trade in, I may have a new car for Christmas!
    My '01 has the towing package which includes an external ATF cooler. The hitch was removed the week I purchased it, new, from the dealer and it has had NO heavy duty use.

Yet at only 40,000 miles the ATF was looking and smelling burned as if being somehow overheated. So I believe it in fact was overheated but in some way that the external cooler couldn't "compensate". IMMHO that would mean some sort of "localized" overheating of the ATF such that a small portion of the fluid is overheated and burned but then when remixed with the bulk of fluid the average heating level is not excessive.

It seems to me that points directly to the gear type ATF oil pump, the only possible "localized" "hot spot" within a transaxle.

It is my opinion that the early, 99-00, RX transaxle failures were due to an undersized ATF pump, so much undersized that the clutches could not be quickly and firmly seated, and that resulted in premature transaxle failure due to the accelerated rate wear of the clutch frictional surfaces.

The correction was to increase the pumping capacity of the ATF pump for '01-'03 RXes, and add an external cooler (was the towing package REALLY an option??)

In '04 DBW was adopted so the original low capacity ATF pump could be used. DBW could "protect the drive train" by preventing the engine torque from rising until the clutches were firmly and fully seated.
    Well, if the transmission unfortunately needs to be rebuilt and you are able to get the modernized version, most likely your fluid overheating will be cured.

Of course Las Vegas traffic and summer weather are definitely "severe duty", but once it's fixed with the more modern design and the fluid is changed annually (I would for any car in that environment) your problems will likely be cured, but an additional cooler, although not required, would not hurt and could only aid in the durability of your severe conditions.

I really don't think $8000 is a competitive or reasonable quote, even from a trusted mechanic. If the Lexus dealer quoted me that, I would suspect they are encouraging me to trade in so they can benefit from my troubles, and I would to go to another dealer, even if I had to drive across town! :mad: Keep in mind, they are just going to replace the transmission with a rebuilt unit themselves, at a tiny fraction of the cost they quoted you, and that car will be up for sale in a couple weeks at full retail price.

My 2X4 used to burn fluid before the new transmission, too. And that's without the 4X4's fluid clutch, etc. Once I got the new transmission (new not rebuilt-I was lucky, covered under warrantee with a rental car) it no longer burns fluid, it stays (the type IV) pinkish red. It also performs flawlessly (I normally drive stick/motorcycle so I'm picky), with none of the shifting abnormalities other owners report. A year after the new transmission, I added the additional cooler "just in case" because I wanted this car to last a long time, and I (rarely) do tow a light motorcycle trailer, and we also have traffic and heat here in the San Fernando Valley (and trips to the desert). Installing the cooler was easy. The hardest part was unscrewing the plastic fender and underskirt, and I performed a 5 quart fluid change at the same time, and cleaning up the fluid so it didn't get grimy.

If you like your car (and don't want to give your equity away to this dealer) your best bet may be to seek warrantee replacement (I thought it was transferable but I could be mistaken), if not look for a dealer that will work with you on the price. $8000 sounds like the mechanic is really trying "refer" you to the someone who really wants the job, and the dealer just wants your trade-in business to me. :confuse:
    Well, I can't even begin to tell you how horrified I was driving on the thin sheet of ice that covered the several inches of snow that fell a few weekends ago. I couldn't get ANY traction on the ice and had no other choices of roads to drive on. I turned off onto another side road and took a very long way to get home. The roads were rutted with frozen chunks of ice, ice, slush and just a mish mosh of hazardous driving conditions. My fiance was in a 7000# 4WD Ford F250 equipped with 700# of salt in the salter, a plow and extra salt in bags and he made it through. I was ahead of him and then decided to try to drive behind him instead. About a mile from home, I was sliding all over the place and just prayed that I'd make it home coming down a pretty steep hill. I was scared out of my mind being out in the sticks, in the pitch dark and just fearing driving off the road. After making it home and talking to lots of people in the following days, I heard over and over again that regardless of the vehicle I was driving, the tires I had on my vehicle, etc. NO car or truck would have handled any better than mine (except for a heavy vehicle such as the one my fiance was driving) given the conditions. Long story short, next time I'm staying parked!!!
    That's exactly why I run on quiet and comfortable summer only tires all year around and keep tire chains on board for the rare (for me) circumstances you describe.

I know its wet and dirty work but some of the new tire chain sets are really super easy to install.
  • jeffersonfarmsjeffersonfarms Member Posts: 1
    Hello and Happy New Year !!!
    I have a pp rx 300 that, when cold, shifts at about 3200 rpm from 2nd to 3rd and into overdrive. After that it's fine. I have changed the fluid twice in 1500 miles and wanted to get a opinion if this will solve the cold shift problem ? seems to be helping a-little so far. It has 105000 miles on it.
    99 RX300's 1-2 cold shift is delayed until about 3000 RPM; it's not a "problem". Mine has does that even with the updated "modern" transmission upgrade in new condition. I usually drive really gently until the needle just barely moves up to the "C" and that's when the shifts go back to the normal program.

I would be concerned if there are inconsistent "abnormal" symptoms, however the cold delayed shift you are describing sounds like a very consistent condition that is part of the cold-start warm-up on the first-year models (we just wish it didn't rev so high when cold).
  • mickihmickih Member Posts: 1
    My 2000 RX300 is jurking into gear and has slipped into neutral on one occasion while driving. I took it to the dealership and after 4 days they told me that they will not open a transmission to fix the problem. They will only send it back to Lexus for a new one and it will cost $4000. The receipt says that is needs the transaxle replaced. This is all greek to me and I wondered if anyone has any advice on whether I should get it replaced (I also have about $800 more things wrong) or just trade it in. I appreciate any suggestions.
    If you read through these posts, you'll see there are known transmission problems with this vehicle. I purchased a "new to me" 2000 RX300 back in September and the first time I drove it not warmed up (the dealership had it warmed up for my test drives), I noticed the lunging. Long story short, they attempted to "service" it which made no difference. They ended up splitting the tab with Lexus and I got my transmission replaced at no cost.
  • dikeakosdikeakos Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2001 lexus RX 300 with $89,000 mi. A few months ago it started idling a little rough so I had the idle control motor replaced. This did not fix the problem and 1 day later the the battery (only 1 year old) died so I put in a new battery and a new alternator at a local lexus specialty shop. It was still idling rough so I took it in to the dealer. They checked it out and said they did not receive any error codes. I picked it from the dealer the next morning and that same afternoon I got stuck in a parking lot because it would not go in reverse. I kept shifting from park to drive to reverse and finally got it to move. I drove it to the dealership and they kept it for 3 days but said they could not find anything wrong with it. I picked it up from the dealer 3 days ago and other than the rough idle have not had any trouble with it. Has anyone else experienced this? Also, Does anyone no of a reputable warranty company?
  • prazpraz Member Posts: 163
    I have a 07 ES350 and there is no hesitation at all...
  • catdaddylongcatdaddylong Member Posts: 53
    I have a 2005 ES330 and a 2008 RX350 and do not have transmisson lag in either vehicle.
    Within the technical publications is an NCF, New Car Feature, for at least one of the '08 models indicating they have taken a firmware approach. Apparently the new idea is for the ECU to "watch" the rate at which you release pressure on the accelerator pedal immediately after, subsequent too, a period of acceleration.

The way it reads, a fast or quick release will result in the transaxle remaining in the gear, "lower" gear, you were just previously using for acceleration. Whereas a slow, "smooth", release of the accelerator pedal will result in an upshift, if appropreate, into the most appropreate higher gear for simply cruising along at the current speed.

I rather doubt if it will solve the downshift delay/hesitation in all instances but it does look promising.
  • irishcaseyirishcasey Member Posts: 36
    I'm considering purchasing a 2002 RX 300 from someone I know, one owner. Has 22,000 miles. My question is whether the 2002 model has similar transmission issues to the earlier models.
    It seems as though most of the posts relating to transmission issue specify model years 1999 to 2001. Any help would be appreciated.
  • dwise718dwise718 Member Posts: 1
    Thanks for posting this website to report the RX 300 ('99) problem with its transmission. To add to what I see is an unlimited number of complaints, my transmission just fail after only 60,449 miles. I thought I would have at least another 3 years on my car.

Does anyone think that we RX owners can file a class action suit against Lexus for selling what seems to be a defective car to the masses. I just went to my local mechanic that I have been using for years, to replace my transmission at a fraction of what I know Lexus would charge. But I think that Lexus should stand by their product and pay us all for this horrible defect.

I thought the Lexus brand meant reliability. I was thinking about purchasing a new RX in 2010 but I might have to reconsider this decision.
  • accproaccpro Member Posts: 4
    I have RX 300 (2000). This is my second time that I have to replace my transmission, The first time when it failed, it was a very terrible and shocking experience that I have never went thro. I was driving in the highway with 100 km per hour, a few second after I exited the ramp - collector lane, the LEXUS RX 300 stopped on me. The car engine was running, but the transmission failed. All four wheel locked on me. I could not move anywhere. I had to called a special tow truck to move my car in a safe place. I reported this incident to the head office and The dealer offered me to replace with a new transmission with a lot of free service. Today I have a problem to reverse the car from the garage. I got a special tow truck to tow my car to non-Lexus service station. Because Lexus told me that it is not under warranty and it may cost me around $ 6000 to get a rebuiled transmission. The service guy told me it might cost me around $3800.00 instead to get a rebuilded one.

I am very very very disappointed about this mulfunction transmission from LEXUS. I would like to know how we can file a class action suit against Lexus. The failure of the transmission almost caused my life in the highway. Luckily, there were no cars behind me when the transmission failed and locked four wheels.

WATCH YOUR RX 300 TRANSMISSION. DO'T LET IT FAILS ON THE HIGHWAY.
    I noticed your report of another unfortunate 99 transmission failure. I too would find it hard to bear. Yes, there have been a lot of owners who are just now discovering the weak spot, rather than through the longer-than-usual factory warrantee. However there are lots of folks who have had Lexus "stand by their product" including me, but it's rare you hear about us from the sources you've been looking to, where only unresolved complaints are listed..

Considering it's not likely they will cover the full cost after 10 years of wear, but dealing with them like a valued vendor-client relationship might afford you a reduced cost on a factory rebuild to modern specs, rather than a rebuild of the same old original from an aftermarket source. I hope it works out for you.

60,000 miles on a ten year old car is pretty severe service. When you get it repaired, check out how other owners are maintaining theres. I won't go more than two years (especially regardless of how few miles you drive it) without changing the tranny fluid with factory "TYPE IV" fluid. I hope that also helps.

I wish you best of luck with yours.
  • williams21706williams21706 Member Posts: 10
    we purchased the suv back in Aug'06. My husband was medically discharged from the military and I knew we were going to need a dependable car to get to and from his dr appts. We got the vehicle at a good deal and there seemed to be nothing wrong with it. We got it serviced at the local Lexus dealership and everything was good. Then November of last year it started to jump in gear then on day when my husband was coming home from the dr office it slipped out of gear and into neutral. We had it towed to the mechanics only to learn it was going to cost us almost $4500 to fix. With me the only one working, hardly a disability ck from the military, living in California with prices the way they are...we had it towed back to the house and there it has been sitting in the driveway. The crappy part is we are still making monthly payments for a car that doesnt even work and we are unable to fix it. We have written a letter to Lexus and even called. They have given us the run arounds and they never even responded to the letter. :mad:
    Year, color, model (AWD?), mileage of your RX300, loan residual, and approximate Ca location..?

I might be interested in purchasing.
  • sijian1sijian1 Member Posts: 2
    I bought 2000 Lexus RX300 in the summer of 2007. I started to have the transmission problem a couple of months ago. The problem occurred when I tried to use the reverse gear backing out from the garage or a parking spot and the gear was not engaged or sometime it partially engaged causing the sudden jerking during the backing up. In the past two days, thje problem occurred several times.

It seems that I am not alone for having the problem. I support the class law suite against the Lexus. This is a serious quality problem which could cause the accident in the highway, let alone the Lexus owner paid a lot for better quality which they did not get. We don't have to wait for someone got killed due to the transmission locking up the wheels during driving.
    It is black, camel all leather interior, mileage is 92k, AWD, 6 disc changer, Nakamichi Audio system, towing package, luggage rack, privacy glass, traction control, dual power seats and dual heated seats. As far as I know it has every option that was available for that year. I owe 9100, but I have a little money saved and I can sell if for 8800. I am in the Monterey area. If you are interested I would love to unload it...I can't afford it since my husband has been in the hospital for the past month and a half.
    RX300 model year..??

Is it at all driveable...??

My email is under my profile.
    Since you don't mention VSC as being one of the options I initially narrowed my search for "camel interior" to the '99 and '00 models. But even with a wider search I could not find anything like what would be called "camel".
  • accproaccpro Member Posts: 4
    How do we go about taking the class law suit againt Lexus ?

Year 2000 Lexus RX300 is unsafe to drive. It almost caused a chain reaction accident when the transmission failed on me in the highway :mad: exiting the ram. It locked all four wheels. The second time, it happened exactly the same as your case just 3 weeks ago. I could not use the reverse gear to back out from my garage. I had to get a special tow truck to drag the car the parking spot. I costed me over $ 4000 to fix the transmisiion.
    Well I don't even know what VSC means. Camel is not the "official" color. But it's tan, beige, camel, light carmel.... hopefully you get the picture of what the interior color is. If not, then I really don't know what else to tell ya.
    I have no idea how a class action law suit begins... but if you need people to back you I am there. Why in the world they would put such a piece of crap out there for people to spend a small fortune on then most of them have the same common problem with it is beyond me.
    I currently have a 2001 AWD RX300 with the "ivory/beige/tan" interior so yes, I now know EXACTLY what you mean....

I was simply confused by your use of "camel" to describe the interior.

But what model year is your RX300..??
    Hey, this "problem" pertains to the ENTIRE Toyota and Lexus FWD and F/AWD "fleet". Started out with the '99 RX but has now propagated to all the others.

But finding a lawyer, or legal office, wherein someone in that profession even begins to understand "this" issue is, has become, a REAL challenge. Absent understanding the issue quite comprehensively and completely no lawyer would approach this issue with a ten yard "stick".

Like trying to find a patent attorney who can understand automotive electronics patent potential seems almost out of the question.

Still looking though.....
    its a 2000. and you can some what drive it but highly not recommended-it slips out of gear and then you can turn the car off for a while and then you could drive it for another block LOL! So it has been parked in our driveway. HA!
    Thank you for sharing. I am and I'm pretty sure we're all sorry you're having problems we've all heard about and experienced firsthand, just what this forum is for.

Please tell us more... What color is the tranny fluid? How translucent is it? Does it smell burned? From what little you've described, I'm guessing your fluid is getting contaminated from the failing part(s), immediately causing big problems for the whole unit as the pressurized contaminated fluid tries to circulate through clogged tiny passages, and mechanics are guessing your inevitable need for it's replacement will demand premium price.

It's great news your car's mobile right now (even though it may not be reliable), because you still have the opportunity to call around and shop around for the rebuilt transmission.

Since your cost of the replacement seems to vary depending situation, my advice is to let them know you can still drive it wherever you want. Get it where they can assure you it was Lexus built to more modern standards than the original, perhaps a factory rebuild.

But get it from an expert; Lexus made many changes to them, but the transmission's always been the weak spot for the type of use the whole RX package encourages, and not originally designed to standards buyers expect. You may want to research for Technical Service Bulletins (TSB's) for your VIN, and politely/kindly let them know you feel (like your fluid) burned and disappointed at the poor durability, but you are looking for a reason to remain loyal. If Lexus makes you an offer of "goodwill" because of your established patronage, maybe they will come down on the price to keep you a happy camper, enough to make things more economical..

'99 (from early '98) 2WD I had a factory new (not rebuilt) unit replaced by Lexus under warrantee in 2004, and it's been flawless. My original was clearly flawed with shift/durability problems from the beginning, like many others. On the other hand, my good friend's '00 4WD has been fine from the beginning, and has OOODles of miles, and the fluid's great.
    I may have said all this before, probably have, but.

When the RX series was being designed initially the decision was made to use the Camry/ES300 engine and transaxle as the starting point. The engine..., no problem. But, the transaxle.....BIG problem.

RX was to be a MUCH heavier vehicle and with "AWD" to boot.

So the transaxle HAD to be upgraded, made more "robust".

Hmmm...

A sideways mounted engine and transaxle didn't leave much room for increased "robustness". So something had to give, GO...

The ATF fluid pressure holding accumulator was chosen.. it was discarded from the design. Think of that accumulator as a windup rubber band in an old flying model you built many years ago. When the engine is running the ATF pump was "whirring", pumping ATF fluid to the tune of 3000 PSI. Now if the engine RPM were to drop to idle not much fluid would be pumped. But that was okay if you had an accumulator to "store", at 3000 PSI, some of the previously pumped fluid.

Big deal, who cares, the clear majority of time ATF fluid pressure is needed is for upshifts and those occur as the engine RPM climbs, typically WELL above idle.
  • mule47mule47 Member Posts: 1
    I just had my RX300 tranny go out on my 2001 model. Just over 100,000 miles. I serviced the tranny at 50,000 also.

The dealer says the rough cost is $5,500.00. A third party says around $4,500.00.

I spoke to the national Lexus customer service and they are looking into it. The local dealers head of service says he doubts seriously they will do anything to help me out.

This is a total outrage given the number of posts that I have read here and on other sites about problems with the 1999, 2000 and 2001 RX300 transmissions. I checked the nhtsa site and there are complaints for these years and I filed mine. Apparently there are just not enough for the nhtsa to force a recall.

Any thoughts or ideas?

Any suggestions how I can influence Toyota to give me some help with this problem?
    What is nhtsa? Do I need to file a complaint there too?? Anything that will help out trying to get a recall started or a law suit.
  • fordfan_17fordfan_17 Member Posts: 175
    national highway and transportation safety administration