Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Lexus RX Transmission Problems

Comments

• la4meadla4mead Member Posts: 347
    I posted some pics a few years ago (are the searchable messages archived on this forum?). I'll look around or take some new ones. It was pretty straightforward, however I did have to improvise a little.

I'll get something together and post it.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    edited July 2011
    I don't see the pics and if you are thinking about your CarSpace photo album, well, all that stuff is gone.

There's this post but the link to the instructions is "temporarily unavailable".

You can use the "Advanced Search" on the right sidebar. Plus, a search like "la4mead external cooler site:edmunds.com" will work on Bing or Google.
  • tickedatlexustickedatlexus Member Posts: 8
    I have a 2001 RX. 1) When I lower my front passenger window a little at train crossings, then try to close it, it will go down more before I can make it go up. Once it went down all the way & wouldn't go up for about 10 minutes - of course it was pouring rain. Haven't tried to use it since
    2) My key will sometimes unlock/lock the driver's door (dealer quoted an exhorbitant amount to fix - I think $300 part + labor). Right rear door does not unlock/lock with the key.
    3) No noise in my dash fan.

Ever since dealer replaced the lights at the top of the tailgate window, if it rains just right, water comes inside on the driver's side - often on my left foot - sometimes a very wet floormat. They fixed it once, but still happens.
    Not what I expected of a Lexus.
  • denni1960denni1960 Member Posts: 3
    My passenger window is doing the same when you want it to go back up, it will go down first... and I just keep pushing the button to go back up and it eventually will... and when it's raining...well you know....

I've had my 01 for 5 yrs and have been really happy with it... a few things I thought were off for a lexus were the cheap cup holders... flimsy and broke within a year after getting the car. The cheap plated plastic on the inside door handles... they are starting to show wear. Just little things like that. I have 165,000 on my 01 and all I've ever done to it is scheduled oil/filter etc changes every 3,000 miles. Up until last weekend (transmission) I've never had any mechanical problems with it. I will definately buy another one. I read somewhere today that the RX 300 is practical luxury and for me I think that's true. It doesn't have all the frills... ie heated seats, navi, dual A/C control... those are extras that I really don't mind not having. I just want a car that I can rely on and with what I've experienced... it is.

I just hope that the transmission is an easy fix and not a complete overhaul. Wish me luck! :sick:
  • bostoncigarbostoncigar Member Posts: 23
    Be Bozo! You bought a used car (not from the original owner) and you state that the transmission failure at 127K miles could be a result of the car being a lemon???

Be Bozo!

My Lincoln Aviator's engine was a lemon and went at 52K miles ..2K over the warranty. After fighting with Ford, they picked up 2/3rd the tab.. not 100% and I not only walked from Ford and bought a Lexus.. but I tell everyone I know about Ford dumping a long standing customer.

But buying a used car at 127K miles and calling it a lemon! Come on! Buying a used car without a warranty means you self-insure!

Caveat Emptor!!
  • drek7drek7 Member Posts: 2
    Please let me know what happens. I have the same issue, and cannot afford the repair... I've been without my SUV for nearly a year (about a week after getting married!). I've heard rumors of a class action, but I'm worrying they may just BE rumors.
  • flsjr55flsjr55 Member Posts: 16
    If you have not reported your transmisson problem to Lexus then do so ASAP. They may be able to help. No word on any class action.
  • drek7drek7 Member Posts: 2
    edited August 2011
    Let's see... I'm between a rock and a hard place. My vehicle is currently on a lift at a local (trusted!) mechanic who has been repairing tranny's 50+ yrs. Lexus Corp. told me they may or may not help with any "goodwill assistance." The first person I spoke with tried to get a "goodwill towing" approval, but that was denied.

*By the way, my mechanic said the planetary gears exploded making it impossible to open the transmission. I will definately need either a used or rebuilt one.

So now, I can go ahead and have my local mechanic put in a rebuilt transmission with a 3yr warranty for a Grand total of ~$5,000.
    *Lexus said IF there is a recall, they'll "most likely" reimburse my expense.

OR

I can pay my mechanic for what he's done already (basically removing and re-inserting my transmission), then tow it 20 miles away where I may or may not have to pay for the diagnostics and/or repair ALL depending on IF Lexus deems it is their responsibility due to a defect.

BAsically, pay an extra ~$400 for a slim CHANCE at saving a few thousand.

...?
  • jiminfresnojiminfresno Member Posts: 3
    I had the same situation. I called Lexus and asked them for the price for a rebuilt transmission. They really did not want to quote me until they looked at the car and did a diagnostic. Unfortunately I had already had it towed to a trusted transmission mechanic. Lexus PR told me to take it to the Lexus dealer and based on my experience they may help me out financially but made sure I understood that I should not count on it.

So what did that mean ? Did they just want me to take it to the Lexus Dealer for the transmission service. Lexus finally told me it could cost between $4500-5300. I figured at best ,Lexus may comp 25% as it is a 10 year old car. If that was the case I assumed it would be $5300 and they may take it down to $4000. I had it done for $4300. If I had my car regularly serviced at the Lexus Dealership I think I would have gone to Lexus and as a regular customer my chances of a goodwill gesture would have increased. Instead I had it service at a Toyota dealership near where I work.
  • wwestwwest Member Posts: 10,706
    "..(trusted!) mechanic.."

"..impossible to open the transmission.."

BS, blowing SMOKE...!!

Rebuilts run $2500 to $3000 out the door.
  • ed95682ed95682 Member Posts: 7
    Well, I too am one of the 'lucky ones'. The transmission in our 2002 RX300 went out today, without any warning. We called our local Lexus dealer in the Sacramento area and they were sympathetic to our problem and even shared the fact that this has been an ongoing problem with 1999-2002 models. Apparently, Lexus has known of the problem and even corrected the transmission problem in the 2003 and later models. But, our dealer said that it would still cost us $4,700. in order to replace the transmission with a "re-structure...2003 version".
    I inquired as to whether Lexus, knowing they had a transmission problem with these years, if they would discount or assist? The answer was "No".
    Frustrating to buy a vehicle you think will last and knowing that the company knows is has a mechanical problem with a particular part, and they are not willing to cut some kind of deal. What a bummer!!! :mad:
    Call Lexus Customer Satisfaction and you may get some help. 800-255-3987.
    I spent $750 yesterday to repair the A/C. In the past six months I have spent more to repair than the car is worth.
    I agree, I'd call Lexus CS, but knowing that Lexus does not feel obliged to offer assistance. But they seem willing to work with an out of warrantee repair apparently if they think they're earning loyalty, not because they have to (possibly because it did last this long). But if they feel they have an opportunity to make a difficult situation easier earning your loyalty (and they do it right this time) they just might help cover part of the cost... Good luck and please let us know what you find out.

FWIW, Lexus replaced my '99's transmission in 2004 (when the original warrantee was about to expire) with a new one with all "updates", and it doesn't beat or burn the fluid like the original did. It's been perfect (nothing on the magnets or in the fluid, unlike original) but now I don't go more than about 15,000 before I either have the transmission serviced with type IV fluid at the trans shop with inspection of the filter and magnets or DIY drain the pan and differential, refill, and drain the rest through the cooler return line myself. It's messy but cheap insurance for any bulky FWD based platform (and my car's 13 years old). The difference between the original and the replacement transmission has made huge difference to me.
  • seastburnseastburn Member Posts: 4
    Replaced mine with a JASPER remanufactured one with 18 updates, 100,000 mile/ 3 year warranty through JASPER. They call for a fluid and filter change after the first 5000 miles. I've sent a letter to the local Lexus dealer along with one to customer service center in Torrance CA. Depending on their reply will determine if I glue that nice glass and chrome lemon to the tailgate. :lemon:
  • chikachika Member Posts: 1
    I just want to buy Rx 300 2001 model please I need more advise on how to go about it or should I go for another model or probably go for toyota suv ? Becouse am affraid of this transmission failure problems every one is complianing about thanks :lemon:
    Keep in mind most people don't report "good" experiences. The number of posts are heavily skewed toward complaints only, and statistically only represent a tiny fraction of the total number of owners with or without problems. They don't represent a higher percentage of problems than other models, but they do seem to reflect the expectation of "perfection" because of the "L" on the grille.

That being said, you do want to be aware of any potential weakness when looking at a used car of the age of first-gen RX's. Low-mileage models may be more prone to needing a transmission, perhaps because of the type of usage (short trips, etc.) or perhaps because impending failure was not noticed during the origninal warantee period. Check the transmission fluid condition yourself (you should do this on any car), check for transmission service history (tranny service is not a recommended service on dealer's overpriced packaged service), and if you find one in good shape, make sure there's enough room in the price for you to be happy with it even if you need a repair.
  • gbryantgbryant Member Posts: 9
    The majority of tranny failures were on the 2000 RX300 with AWD and are grouped in the 80,000 to 110000 mile range. Mine went at 92,000 and was replaced by the dealer for $4000, with a Jasper rebuilt. I have since sold my ES300 and am trying to sell the RX300. I've also purchased a 2011 MB, ML550 and I'll never own another Lexus or Toyota product.
    Do not buy a 2001 Lexus RX. Most of these vehicles are lemons. It is not just the trans but many other problems. I have already spent more money in the last six months than the vehicle is worth.
  • denni1960denni1960 Member Posts: 3
    Chicka, I own an RX 300 2001 model... I love it. I bought it used from original owner with 43,000 miles. It now has 168,000 and I have never had anything major go wrong with it. I did have a scare with the transmission a few months ago, but my mechanic serviced it (new oil) and it's fine now. I agree with one of the posts here... this forum is with people that have complaints... you probably won't see anyone writing about how great their car is...so don't let the comments here scare you. I plan on buying another RX 300 when the time comes. Just a side note... up until I bought my RX 300, I would trade/buy a different car about every 3 yrs, I've had my RX 300 for about 5yrs now and don't have any plans on trading/selling it. My next purchase will probably be an 04 or 05 model. :shades:
    My '01 F/awd RX300, purchased new, is now approaching 90,000 miles and I am mentaly prepared for a transmission failure within the next 20-30,000 miles. ATF has been double drain/fill, 5 qts each time, twice, once at 40,000 and more recently at 80,000.

Since I am fully aware of the details of the design flaw it makes it easier to accept the failure when it comes.

I would look first for an RX330 that has DBW to prevent these premature transaxle failures.
  • vicstf11vicstf11 Member Posts: 1
    I'm having problem with my lexus rx 300. The movement is very poor, At first I had to change the coils. It was okay for a few days then the sluggish movement started again, My mechanic said I need the change my exhaust since catalyst is blocked he also said the the catalyst is melting. Just replaced the whole exhaust and there is no change with the movement...Any help.
  • 944turborx300944turborx300 Member Posts: 1
    My passenger side window is erratic; same as others are having this problem. I once found instructions for reprogramming, but did not make any difference. Can't complain though 139,000 miles, 10 years old. Just normal maintenance for 8 years that I have owned it (tires, battery, belts, etc.). Recent oxygen sensor replacement is all and I need to have the tranny fluid changed. Guess the highway miles may have helped since others have had serious tranny problems. A couple very minor other issues: key finally broke, rear gate latch is sticky. Also, be sure to clean your MAF sensor. My check engine and VSC lights came on and a 20 minute MAF cleaning solved the problem. Any vehicle can be a lemon if the previous owner or you did/do not take care of it -- or perhaps I just got lucky?
  • rxownerx2rxownerx2 Member Posts: 2
    So after 26,000 miles our rebuilt tranny on RX300 #2 had a clutch fail. Independent said he will not charge for labor but parts are over $700.
    So for all those who think RXs trannys are good and only a small percentage fail. I have 2 RX300 and am working on Tranny #7. We don't tow anything with them or carrry heavy loads. Just typical family stuff.
    I would get rid of both cars if the economy was better but I think the economy has a Lexus transmission as well! :lemon:
  • mbrosenymbroseny Member Posts: 5
    Did anyone ever start a class action suit? My 2002 RX 300 is riding fine now after installing a new transmission from a local transmission shop. Payed 3200.00 to fix. Did not need a new module. Just reprogrammed. My transmission died at 88,000 miles. I have a 2 year warranty or 25,000 miles.
    I'm thinking of selling the car next year, before the warranty is up.
  • naperleighnaperleigh Member Posts: 7
    I just got off the phone with Lexus and they agreed to cover 50% of the parts which is $1750. So they realize they have a problem. Good luck!
  • jbl85jbl85 Member Posts: 49
    edited September 2011
    Thought I would pass this along: I changed out the fluid about 2 years ago around 40k miles, and now am knocking on the door of 60k. The fluid, now with 20k miles on it roughly, is still cherry red, and smells as new as can be.

By reading through these posts, I thought sure that my experience would have been different when checking the fluid.

Maybe my tranny fails eventually, maybe it doesn't. It seems that everyone here has come to the conclusion that the all 99's (in my case specifically) are just simply destined to fail. I guess I'll believe that when it happens. In the meantime, I am enjoying this 12 year old car that still looks and rides like it's brand new.

JBL

:)
    Call Lexus Satisfaction Dept. 800-255-3987
    "01 F/awd RX300. After 2 sequential drain/refills at ~40,000 miles due to dark and burned smelling ATF my ATF remained clear/pinkish right up until ~75,000 miles wherein it got 2 more drain/refills. Now pushing 90,000 miles.

I suspect that it was more the '99-'00 RX300 F/awd models that experienced the majority of the premature transaxle failure as those F/awd systems were substantially more robust, functional, vs '01 - '09 models.

In '01 the VC's fluid formulation was revised to be mostly non-functional, the optional mechanical LSD was discontinued, and VSC/Trac was made standard as a "backup" for the loss of F/awd functionality. With the RX330 Lexus stopped the pretense and dropped the VC entirely.
    I think the years that Lexus installed the flawed transmissions were 1999-2001. Mine was a 2001.
  • jbl85jbl85 Member Posts: 49
    There are 110 complaints about the 1999 RX300 transmission on the NHTSA website.

According to Lexus, there were 90,338 1999's made that year. I have brought this to light before, and it was a couple of years ago, I think in late 2009, that there were 86 such complaints.

Sure there are more than 110 cases of where the transmissions may have failed, but I still maintain that this is not as widespread as many would like to believe. People go out of their way to complain, but they don't go out of their way to report the good. If they did, and there was a real problem, I strongly believe there would be more than 110 complaints on a govt. sponsored website.
    edited September 2011
    I agree, I don't think there is a statistically significant amount of failures compared to other competitive vehicles. But that doesn't mean the trannys in the early RX's weren't on the weak side in their design. The original in my early '99 2WD was clearly flawed from the beginning, and got worse early in the life of the vehicle. It never failed, but after a history of warrantee visits about a cold shift anomaly (I don't live in a cold climate or it would have happened more often) and despite three TRANS filter and fluid service visits, it was on it's way out. At almost 70,000 miles (when the powertrain warrantee was about to expire) Lexus did replace it with a brand new and revised trans from Kyushu, so I didn't have a complaint, except they were out of Lexus loaners when I brought it in, so they rented me a Neon from Enterprise. So I lived with a yucky car without cruise that had crank windows for a week and a half, not a big complaint. My point is I doubt I would have had the same experience if the car was a Ford, GM, Toyota, or an expensive German make.
    Check out more at ClubLexus or Lexusownersclub about the same issue. Some models had trannys that were clearly bad right out of the box, but none were very stout, and needed service that was not recommended in the dealer's profit-padded recommended service "specials". Many car enthusiasts have been getting hundreds of thousands of miles before failure by changing fluid often.
    When they fail unexpectedly, it's easy to think "I'll never buy an 'X' again" but it's still not statistically relevant that they all are lemons. I feel really bad for folks who have had more than one failure. There's something going on there, perhaps rebuilding any trans takes a bit of care, and there's a lot to go wrong.
    I still think it's good advice: Keep your eye on the tranny dipstick for wear indicated in the fluid yourself. Don't rely on the dealer to have your best interests in mind, and change the fluid often regardless of the fact it's not recommended by the dealer or mfr. But when something internal fails, the whole tranny still fails.
    Sorry, but that "flawed" transaxle is still with us, not only Toyota/Lexus, but most other marques also. The design of the transaxle for the new RX300 included an FE break-through, a new ATF line pressure pumping system. A "real time" line pressure control system wherein line pressure was not sustained between shifts, only supplied on an "as needed" basis.

That resulted in not being able to accomplished a second shift quickly with the engine (ATF pump "drive") being at idle or closely thereby.

The "fix", introduced with the RX330, was to use DBW to delay the arrival of rising engine torque for 1-2 seconds until enough pressure could be built up to accomplish a re-acceleration downshift.

Quick re-acceleration sequence, on-throttle, off-throttle (upshift), ON throttle (downshift/delay).

New firmware version as of about '08 "watched" the rate at which the "off-throttle, gas pedal lift, occurred and attempted to judge the driver's intent.

"Slow" (relatively) lift of the gas pedal was deemed to mean the driver simply wished to enter cruise mode and the transaxle would upshift appropriately.

"Fast" lift was deemed to mean, most likely, that the driver wished to remain in the lower gear for engine compression coastdown.

3 of the instances wherein one might expect to encounter this 1-2 second downshift delay/hesitation are well defined in a TSB issued for the Camry in the spring of '03.

Accelerating down an on-ramp, look over your shoulder for a merge opening. lift the throttle (upshift, engine goes to idle), spot an opening, accelerate to match/merge....WHAT, no engine....!!!??
    I'm thankful my RX300 doesn't have that delayed accel problem. Another reason to keep the ol' beast around, although I'm not in a position to buy a new car, and if I was, I'd still prefer a manual - if it was even available.
    edited September 2011
    FWD and manual transmissions are such a hazard for the average John Q Public that they are becoming less common each day. VW has developed a new engine up-rev technique(***) that somewhat alleviate the hazardous nature of the beast, but we'll have to wait and see if it is successful industry wide in turning things around.

*** A form of ABS for engine compression braking.
  • apn3apn3 Member Posts: 1
    I own a '02 Lexus rx300. The transmission went at 120k. I was on the highway with my 18mth old daughter at the time. I was so upset - there was absolutely no warning. The lights came on as the car was dying. I called Lexus and the explained what had happened. They were very apologetic. She recommended to submit my invoice for the repairs and Lexus would review and try to reimburse me at least a portion of the cost. So, I had my car fixed, submitted my invoice and was assigned a case manager. The case manager was very condescending and downright rude! I lovED my car. I never had any problems until the transmission. I was planning on purchasing a newer model but after this incident and knowing that Lexus did not stand by their product I most likely will not purchase another Lexus. Sorry Lexus. You turned away a loyal customer.
    I am quite sure that every one of the 2001 RX300's came from the factory with an owners manual that stated, or implied, that the transaxle ATF was expected to be good for the life of the vehicle.

At ~40,000 miles, and again at 80,000 miles, the ATF in my '01 appeared quite dirty and had a definite burned odor. At the initial event I was to soon learn that the factory recommended life of the ATF was now 15,000 miles. That was later changed to inspect the ATF at each oil/filter change and address the issue accordingly.

So, yes, I doubt that you will find very many reports of transaxle failures for the '01 RX series. But would'nt you agree that the entire lot was shipped from the factory with an apparently unforeseeable design flaw...?

Knowing and understanding the design change made in favor of FE during the design of the '99-'00 RX300 I personally have no doubt that these, too, also come from the factory with a design flaw that the engineers had not foreseen, forecast.

There were several changes made for the '01 series to help alleviate the failure issue. I suspect some "adjustments" were made between the '99 model and the '00 model as the number of complaints of the '99 vs the '00 seem to be substantually greater.
    As of the RX330 model year Lexus appears to have successfully addressed the premature transaxle failures. Plus which, the design aspect, FE improvement, that lead to those failures has now been introduced throughout the industry.

The RX330 "fix" was to use DBW to delay the onset of raising engine torque for a "re-acceleration" event until the transaxle could complete the required downshift. In about '08 the transaxle shift pattern control firmware was revised such that it attempts to detect an upcoming re-acceleration event. You will still encounter the 1-2 downshift delay/hesitation just more rarely.

Additionally the 2010 and after RX's have a more functional F/awd system should you have need of such utility.

Not pushing RX's, just saying they should remain on your shopping list, possibly along with the to big/bulky Acura MDX is you do have need of F/awd.
  • ja8669ja8669 Member Posts: 2
    edited October 2011
    Our 2002 RX 300 2wd has 85k miles and have never had a problem with the transmission. We had to replace the o2 sensors, oil and tires but that's it. In 2006 my friend's 2000 RX 300 transmission went and the the dealer paid for parts. My nephew has a 2001 and another has a 2004 RX 330, all so far so good.

I will be checking the ATF when I get home. Fingers and toes crossed. Wish I could afford a new one.
  • seastburnseastburn Member Posts: 4
    The new transmission is performing beautifully! Drove it from Colorado Springs to Elkhart IN and back and was totally impressed of this cars' performance, until I get back. Had a puddle of engine oil on the driveway!! Had the timing belt replaced with a kit that included pullies, tentioner and water pump prior to this trip. The oil was leaking passed the camshaft seals, right behind the pullies that were just replaced. Each job, timing belt and cam seals, call for 4.5 labor hours, but both could have been done while it was all apart saving at least 4 labor hours. Bottom line-when your timing belt is due replacement insist on a kit that includes all the oil seals too. I'm at 136,000 miles now. :sick:
  • tickedatlexustickedatlexus Member Posts: 8
    Along those lines - when my tranny was replaced, the dealer didn't replace the main seal - DUH - now it leaks. Also, when the dealer did a brake job, they apparently didn't grease the slide pins - so 3 of my calipers seized & have chewed up my brakes. Dealer also wanted to replace the VVTI, but my independent mechanic says it's not throwing a code. I'm not happy with my dealer!!!!
    I found long ago, definite differences between the quality of service at different dealers, and it varies from time to time. I haven't taken the car to a dealer for a while, thankfully. I'm not sure what I would do if I was in your shoes, but obvious is go back and ask them to make it right. If that doesn't work, take it to Lexus Customer Service. Good luck, and let us all know what happens.
  • navin_711navin_711 Member Posts: 2
    edited December 2011
    Just replaced the tranny in our 88,000 mile RX300. On the drive home from the shop, the traction control light comes on, alarm sounds, vehicle becomes possessed and tries to assume control from me, the supposed driver. It was truly a puckering moment. I wonder, if this had happened at 70 mph, would I be here typing this message? Doubtful... Anyway, my wife purchased this car, then the transmission went out 3 days later. $3300... So, we have no experience with this car. Is it normal for the VTC to kick in like that?? Is it normal for the shop to tell me that the Yaw Sensor in the streering wheel is the culprit and that I now need a front end alignment? Admittedly, the steering wheel was straight when we dropped off the vehicle, and now it's tilted to the right about 20 degrees (the shope denies having anything to do with the steering wheel tilt...)

Thanks!
  • navin_711navin_711 Member Posts: 2
    Oh... My post was number 666. This car is evil. Anyone in the market for a used RX300 with a brand spanking new tranny!? LOL...
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Post #1 was deleted for some reason so you're safe.

Opps, that means your second post was #666. You're toast. :shades:
    Sorry you are having trouble with your car. I'm not sure what to make of your post. Are you looking for advice? Obviously, with hundreds of thousands of RX's on the road that aren't "posessed" it's hard to know how to respond, other than "no, they are not all that way". Sensors do go bad on cars this age. I don't know if there is any connection of the yaw sensor or wheel alignment to the transmission, but I think it's not very likely.

Again, It's terrible you are having trouble. I hope you get it fixed.
    In what way does it "try to take control" from you? Stability/ABS pulse?
  • avaradyavarady Member Posts: 5
    The transmission on our 2001 Lexus RX300 with only 83,000 and fully serviced at Lexus just failed. I spoke with a service technicians at the Lexus dealer, and off the record, he informed me that the problem is rampant and its quite rare for a transmission not to fail on this model year and the 1999 and 2000 RX 300, even if the mileage is very low and fully serviced at Lexus. My understanding is that the problem rarely gets reported because most Lexus owners trade in their RX300 with the damaged transmission for a new RX350 at a generous trade in value, and do not follow-up with complaints. What concerns me is that this technician informed me that most owners that do replace the transmission have transmission problems within the year. Has anyone recently replaced the transmission and have there been problems? Also, what did Lexus offer you in terms of a price reduction as my understanding is that they typically pay half the cost of installing a new transmission.
  • naperleighnaperleigh Member Posts: 7
    Our 1999 RX 300 failed with 93,000 miles on it in May 2010. We have 107000 on it and it is still going. We received $1800 check to cover parts from Lexus which went against our total bill of $5500. Good Luck to you.
    I replaced mine about 9 months ago. Vehicle had acout 145K. Call Lexus customer satisfaction as they may help on the cost of replacing/repairing.