Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mazda CX-9 Problems

Comments

• cericceric Member Posts: 1,092
    "Anyone else have transmission problems. Zoom, zoom...what a joke. "

Don't said that, man. :(
    Aisin transmission used synthetic fluid. Once in a while, the service people at Mazda dealer put in the wrong fluid causing it to seize up badly. This has been happened to many other brands as well. Wrong fluid kills transmission. Aisin is the transmission supplier of Toyota and Lexus. The reputation is there.
    Mine has 21K on it and it is as smooth as day 1.
  • fguzzofguzzo Member Posts: 3
    Did you ever find a fix for this issue my car is blowing Air that is 90+ degrees when the otuside temp is 75 degrees.....
  • k1200k1200 Member Posts: 40
    Funny you should ask...just today I pulled into my driveway...nice temp. outside about 72 had the windows down (no a/c or fan on at all). Turned the car off and the blower for both front and rear come on full blast. I have thrown in the towel on this vehicle and the lack of concerned technicians... I will probably just donate it when I find something else I like :-(
  • wdhytewdhyte Member Posts: 92
    what year is your CX-9?
    2007.... I have had the relay changed 2x..... I just done with this vehicle..
    It became almost comical taking it in so often. Dont get me wrong I do not complain about every little thing, heres another issue to add. I started to smell mold in the car a day or tow after driving in the rain. At the same time I started to hear a very light clicking, but only when I would be on a bumpy road. It was coming from the right rear section.. hold that thought.
    My daughter discovered the floor in the rear was wet..not damp... soggy wet. all of the windows are shut tight, sun roof is fine. I took out the rear cargo area because this is where the noise was coming from. First thing I noticed was a lot of rust. So I asked my father to drive while I sat back there and looked around . What I see right away is where a spot weld gave way hence the metal to metal "tapping sound"
    But when he drove through a puddle ..the water is channeled up through the wheel well where the weld gave way..some goes forward to the rear seating area, some goes backwards to the cargo area.
    When I show this to the dealer they said "you obviously drove in water over 30 inches. Well if you know the CX9 you know that 30 inches is just below the headlight...and would be about seat level on the inside...and we all know cars are not water tight and there would be significant interior water damage... instead of a rusted right rear quarter panel...i dont know what else to say.. i just done
    wow, what a crappy dealer you have over there...so far mine has been very responsive but I also haven't been in for anything major yet. EVERY maker creates lemons and you may just be (un)lucky enough to have gotten one. I know in most states there are lemon laws you can fall back on but I don't have any idea on the particulars or what qualifies as a bonafide :lemon: ...but I agree 110% that if you had driven in water 30" or more deep there'd be extensive markings/damage on the vehicle let alone at that depth you may have even floated the bloody thing.
    Tried contacting mazdausa (corporate) yet and complaining? good luck...
  • imamgimamg Member Posts: 136
    The problem with the air/heater has been the relays.. and the heater control... If you've replaced the relays...and not the controller ... I'd do that... that's a now known issue. We carry them in stock... so I know.
    If I am correct, the relay was blown due to installed accessories such as IPod interface, Sirrus Sat Radio, Remote Start, etc. If one does not have those on the CX9, there is no such issue (I should say much less likely... never say never...).
    I've none of those on mine... Not sure on the others...but can pull a survey if folks wish. It does happen in the "heat" more than anything ... I've not noticed it during the winters... though I do live in northern cali so... winter isn't such a strong word up here...
    so you say I should tell them to replace the relays and the heater control...hmmm I will do that when I go in for service.... thanks
  • vg33e powervg33e power Member Posts: 314
    imamg,
    Where in NORCAL do you work? I used to live in Davis ( I now live in crappy SOCAL ) and worked for Carmichael Honda in Citrus Heights just South of the Roseville Auto Center and just North of Sacramento.

Sorry for the bump on this thread!
    thanks imamg...is there a TSB on this?
    vg... I'm in Marin... @ the Mazda Subaru dealership... (been here since 86).
    I don't recall it being a TSB... just working from personal experience.
    dwhyte,

I posted the following on the Ventilation/Air Conditioning forum:

My CX9 is out of warranty so I asked my buddy that works at Riverside Mazda to hook me up with a copy of TSB 07-008/09. I read through it and was very simple and straight forward. I bought the relay that the TSB said to replace (part# G115-67-730) replaced it (under hood relay box closest to the driver's side fender) and up to right now no more occurences.

I know that I am referring to the relays on this post, however, I do recall reading on this TSB something about doing a check on the complete control unit and thus replacing the head units if faulty. If you can get a "nice" Mazda employee to fax you this TSB, it may help you to get your problem fixed.
  • 1stmazda11stmazda1 Member Posts: 4
    Yesterday I got in my 2008 CX-9 and tried to turn the key. The dash light indicated that the key wasn't close enough. I had the key in my hand. I took the cover off of the key area and took the key and tried to turn it. It wouldn't turn. I called the local Mazda Dealer and they had me get out, lock the vehicle, unlock it and try the key again. No luck. After several attempts the dealer recommended I have the vehicle towed in. When the tow truck set the vehicle down in the dealer's lot they tried the key and it worked, of course. (The tow truck driver did tell them that it didn't work when he picked the car up. He had to maneuver around the vehicle in the parking garage because he couldn't get it into neutral to roll it to his truck.) The dealers question to me was what do you want us to do? My answer was figure out what happened, and fix it. I don't feel real comfortable with winter coming and not being able to start my vehicle. The dealer talked to my husband this morning and said it works now . He asked what they had checked, there response was vague leading him to believe they didn't do anything because it is working now. Hate to think that the way to fix this is to have it towed. Any one else had this problem? Any information would be helpful it is obvious my local dealer isn't going to try to solve this problem. Thanks for any and all input.
    If they didn't... have them check the battery in the key fob... ( I'm thinking you have a smart card key? )... It may be as simple as changing that.
    According to the owners manual if the smart card key flashes red intermittently than it is ok. If it flashes green the battery is low and if the light stays on all the time there is a problem. The light on the key fob flashes intermittently. I suppose it wouldn't hurt to replace the battery. Thanks for the suggestion.
    I had a similar encounter w/r to the ignition not turning on my 09 about a week after I bought it. If i pushed in on the ignition switch, I'd get the green KEY indicator on the dash that it was being seen OK but I still couldn't turn the ignition to the start or acc position; I then do what I do in my truck, I turned the steering wheel slightly while trying to turn the ignition and it worked just fine. Dunno if thats a coincidence or not but in my truck it seems to occasionally get in a position where the position of the wheel when I shut it down last time is preventing me from turning the ignition key. It works every time in my truck (F150) and now has worked once in the CX-9. If it happens again, give that a try (changing the batt in the fob is also a really good idea as well). FWIW and YMMV of course.
    I had tried to move the steering wheel, I have that problem in my other vehicle. It was locked so tight there was no play in it. If it happens again, as I am sure it will since the dealer has decided that they won't try to find the problem, I will try to jiggle the wheel. Thanks for the input.
    It is most likely the battery.
    Don't place your keys too close to the vehicle when they are not in use.
    That way, the battery gets drained more quickly.
    The button 2023 (or is it 2032) battery is very commonly used. Store a few as backup like your typical AA or AAA.
    Amazingly after my husband and I expressed our disgust with the dealer, they contacted Mazda and the engineering department did say they were having a problem with the smart card and recognizing the key. The dealer has asked us to leave the vehicle until they are able to get some answers and some parts. Unfortunately the parts may take a few days. I will fill you in on wether this works to fix the problem or not. I know I bought a new vehicle to have dependable transportation and right now I feel like I have anything but.
    Thanks for all of your input.
    Unfortunately, the SmartKey system is quite complex in the sense that there are many parts involved. It is hard to debug if any. I also own a Toyota with a similar system. Owners also reported issues with it and it usually takes several trips to get it fixed correctly. Dealers usually just blindly swap out parts (ECU, sensors, keycards, etc.)

Hope they fix your CX9 at first time. :)
    after rereading your original post I see that the key wasn't recognized so jiggling the wheel will be an exercise in futility I think. I agree it's most likely the fob battery or the system itself for that matter. good luck
    a hah...well it pays to be hyper sensitive to issues and to catch them while they're small or at least manageable locally (and you're not 500 miles from home eh). let us know how it goes. good luck and I hope they at least gave you another vehicle while they were holding on to yours to effect repairs!?
  • pwr1pwr1 Member Posts: 5
    Let's not sugar coat this thing. Mazda has a real problem here, and I think they already know it. There are too many consistent stories of this right/front suspension clunking noise for it to be a fluke or our continuing imaginations. My car does it and it is very clearly heard over broken pavement and is directly related to the suspension travel. Folks... there are only so many pieces down there, and somewhere down there, there is a part that is not within tolerance or something was not designed quite right. As much as I am a car guy, I'm not a technician and shouldn't have to be. Why can't we have a real Mazda tech person comment on this, so we can MOVE ON!! I love my car, but man I hate that noise... :mad:
    I agree with you 100% I have grown tired of the many trips to the shop. Loved the vehicle but now it just seems to be an ongoing joke to them when I take it in and when I have taken it in the only thing they do is spray lithium grease everywhere and the noise remains . To give you a better idea of how obvious it is..... my mother who is 77 and NOT car savvy at all, as I drive and make turns or 5-25 mph she jokes and says "it sounds like your car is made from cheap wood" she said "maybe you should take it to a carpenter instead"....LMAO but she is right and Im pissed :mad:
    are any of you that have this front knocking sound in an 09 model? From what it looks, it seems that all are in 07's...wrong? Right? makes me wonder if they didn't do a design or manufacturing change between the year models? how long before you noticed it? etc etc...TIA
  • ewsncewsnc Member Posts: 14
    Mine is 09 model and has frontal knocking/clunking noise on both sides when going over bumps and uneven pavement since about 2500 miles. I had the car checked by two dealers but they couldn't find what caused the problem. One dealer suggested to replace the struts but I didn't take the advice. Just want to see if there is a TSB to address this problem rather than letting my car to be an experimental victim.
  • howardruhowardru Member Posts: 155
    No problems with my 08 AWD GT. (Knock on wood) 25K miles...
    personally, as long as it's under warranty and its THEIR dime AND I get a vehicle to use while they are experimenting, they can do whatever TF they feel like doing. Good luck though on getting all those concessions... they always act like we should have some skin in the game and that's BS...we have $30,000 (roughly) which is MORE than enough collateral IMHO. I lived in Japan (Tokyo) for a few years and this would NOT be tolerated there, not by a LONG shot, and it should NOT be here either. Good luck anyway...here you are dealing with gaijin, not Japanese.
    Could the following TSB on "clicking in suspension" be related?

BULLETIN NO: 02-006/09
    XXE1LXRX/.90
    TD11-34-380B
    82/92A
    TECH REPLACED RUBBER MOUNTING

As you see, it is relatively new TSB.
  • frostiesfrosties Member Posts: 3
    I read all previous 185 posts and could not find evidence of the following problem. I have a 2007 CX-9 Touring with the keyless entry fob and I always leave the lights setting on Auto. Here's the problem.....when I turn the engine off and open the driver's door, a loud and constant "lights on" alarm stays on until I either: 1) shut the door, or 2) rotate the light knob from "Auto" to any other setting and back to "Auto".

One of the benefits of having the "Auto" setting is to avoid this "lights on" alarm. The dealer acknowledged that this issue is annoying and defies logic, but after several hours he chalked it up to a poor design that could not be fixed with the 2007 models. This seemed like a convenient answer to the dealer, but exceptionally inconvenient for me.

Has anyone had this problem and/or been able to have it fixed? Thanks.
  • jcpharmjcpharm Member Posts: 92
    maybe it is an 2007 model issue...i have an '09 GT and i leave it on auto all the time without any issue.
    I just tried it, and my 2008 GT has no such issue.
    It must be a design flaw of 2007 model.
    Maybe other 2007 model owners can confirm this.
    Mine is a 2007 Touring, so I do not have the "AUTO" position in my multifuction switch stalk. It only has "OFF" and "ON" if I leave it in the "ON" position and I open the door to get out of the car and remove the keys from the ignition there IS a warning chime/sound letting me know that the lights are on, but my lights will turn off by themselves after 30 seconds or so.

I never thought it was odd because my previous 2003 Honda Accord did the same exact thing. It also only had two positions "OFF" and "ON" and it also alarmed me if I got out of the car and the lights were left on, they also eventually turned off after 20-30 seconds.
  • frostiesfrosties Member Posts: 3
    Thanks for your posts. Not sure if it matters, but I should have specified that my CX-9 is a Grand Touring. Can anyone who has a 2007 with keyless fob (i.e. does not require a key in the ignition) validate this problem?

Normally I wouldn't care about such a thing, but I have infant twins and every time I cut the engine and open my car door, this annoying sound (it's a constant screechy/squeal , not a soft "chime" or "ding-ding") wakes the girls unless I open the door and quickly rotate off "Auto" and back on again.

Anyone else with this problem or know of a more comprehensive forum where I might find discussion of this issue? Thank you.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    There's always Bing or Google.

You may want to cross-post over in Edmunds Answers too. It attracts a different group of folks.
  • my3rdrxmy3rdrx Member Posts: 167
    It sounds to me like a dysfunctional wiring issue. I'd suggest that you bring it back to the dealership and have them check it out. The bottom line is that it shouldn't be doing it!
    Are you saying it makes the noise even when the lights are actually NOT on? If so ...then it sounds like an issue with the light stalk... if not... then it sounds (no pun intended) normal. I do have an 07 Gt as well... and haven't specifically checked this out but will ... From recollection... it sounds like it's normal ( with lights on noise is on ... with lights not on even when in auto mode... no noise ). I personally (generally) leave it in the on position, knowing that they'll turn themselves off.
  • melmommy4melmommy4 Member Posts: 3
    The silver trim on my 2008 CX9 was peeling off and a nice person from this forum let me know of a tsb on the problem. I live 1 1/2 hours away from my dealership, so when I called to set up an appointment, I told them which pieces were defective and even told them the tsb number. The tech kept telling me he couldn't order any parts until he saw the car. After much begging, he finally agreed to order the parts and set up my appointment. I couldn't take a day off of work to take my car, so I waited until the first day of Thanksgiving break (I am a Kindergarten teacher). Just to be safe, I called the dealership 2 days before to confirm my appointment, and spoke with the service manager. He informed me that I did have an appointment but no parts ordered. Again I explained there was a tsb on the problem and reminded him I lived 1 1/2 hours away. A long way to drive for them to look at the silver trim so they can order the parts and have me come back later. I even offered to send him pictures, anything to keep from wasting a whole day. He said he would order the silver trim and for me to keep my appointment. When I picked up the car he told me that he didn't order all the pieces needed, but did replace the trim on all 4 doors. The rest would have to be ordered. I was disappointed but understood. The next day was Thanksgiving and when my family tried to open the back door to get in, it would not open. It's not locked, but it will not open from inside or out. This was a very new problem. I waited until Monday to call the service department and was told they were busy and to leave a message. I did, but did not hear from anyone. Tuesday I call back and talk with the service manager and explained my door would not open. He told me several times there was no way they broke the door by replacing the trim. As if I was making it up. He had no sympathy that I would have to live with this problem until I had another day off (3 weeks) so I could bring it back to him. I understand mistakes happen, but this was their error and expected someone to take responsibility, not blow it off like it was no big deal or that it was somehow my fault. He had not even ordered the other trim piece yet, so I told him to call me when that came in and we would set up another appointment (During Christmas break). After hanging up I decided to call the dealership back and express my concerns about the service department. It has only been in the shop twice in one year and both times were disasters. When I called back and explained I had a complaint about the service department, I was sent back to the same man I had a complaint about. I later called the dealership manager, but was told to leave a message. Still haven't heard from him. When buying the car, I was told they would work with me about getting it serviced, but that doesn't seem to be true now. There is another dealer, but it is 2 hours away. Will they service my car even though I didn't buy it there? Shouldn't this dealership look at the tsb and know what my car needs? Am I just being overly sensitive about their lack of caring of how difficult it is for me to get the car there? Again, these things were all discussed before I bought the car and they assured me they would work with me. Until I hear from them, I guess all the kids will be using the 1 good door in the back. Sorry for the rant, just a little irritated.
    Totally unacceptable from their part. My suggestion is for you to call the dealership back and ask to talk to the General Manager of the dealership if not the owner, if they ask you what is the nature of the call (because they most likely get screened) tell the receptionist that you would like to praise them for their exceptional service and after they transfer you to either one of them let him/her have it. If either one of them is unavailable make sure to get their full name/s and perhaps their e-mail address. Send them an e-mail and also a letter via snail mail. If they do not return your call or e-mail/letter in a week call/email them back and be sure to tell them this time that your are contacting Mazda Customer Relations. Dealerships get peks from corporate if they provide up to standard service if too many complaints are brought up their "report card" with Mazda falls and so does their perks and sales leads.

Bottom line, do not let them treat you like dirt and yes any other Mazda dealer can service your vehicle as well even if you did not buy it from them. BTW, if your door is jammed it could be covered under warranty since your CX-9 is only a 2008 as long as you have less then 36,000 miles.

Good Luck!
    I think the TSB only covers the four pieces of siliver painted trims on the doors only. (I could be wrong) The two pieces on the center console are not.
    I have mine replaced (four on the doors). The service advisor actually used hie finger nail to scratch off some paints, therefore, he easily agreed to replacing them. The problem was due to lack of a protection layer on top of the silver base layer. That makes it easily scratch-able.
  • kucker64kucker64 Member Posts: 2
    Just putting this post out there because I was unable to find any info on this topic was extremely frustrating.

We recently resolved a bizarre issue with the lose of tire pressure to our 2008 CX-9. The tire appeared fine for months at a time & would only act up when the temperature dropped below 30 degrees.

The first time it happened, I went to sleep with a full tire and woke up with a flat tire. When I brought it to a family friend with a shop, he assured us that there was nothing wrong with the tire. Sure enough, after filling it wilth air - no issues for several wks until the temperature dropped again, The low pressure warning light came on & same Tire lost about 5-10 psi overnight. I brought to the dealer and was told there was absolutely nothing wrong w/ the tire or wheel - NO Leaks! After 3 separate trips to the dealer to diagnose over 6 moths, they finally found the culprit which was a FAULTY SENSOR/VALVE.

So have them check this if you are having any similar issues. Could probably apply to other models as well.
    Ahhhh.... I am not alone I see...
    I have a 2007 CX9, with MANY issues, so many that I have given up on this car totally. At least 10 trips to the dealer in an 8 month period for various things.
    I have a glove box full of those tire pressure sensors.(new ones). I was in the car with my wife the other morning and the temp. was around 30 degrees, I looked at her started the car and said "you know what time it is?", for a moment she was puzzled and then said "oh yeah, it cold out its time for phantom flats" sure enough right before i dropped her off the yellow low pressure light came on.
    I always figured if you abuse your car and drive it into the ground then you deserve whatever happens. But since I take very good care of it, keep it in a garage and maintained it that all would be well. HA!
    Well I am glad I bought the extended warranty.
    I took it to the dealer recently for the loud creaking noise, that can only be described as a wooden ship from the 1700's just to hear them say "its fine"
    NEVER again .....making the last payment soon.....trade and be done with it. :mad:
  • pentictoncx9pentictoncx9 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2007 CX9 with approx 29000ks. About 4 months ago we strted having problems filling the fuel tank. The fuel nozzle would continually cut off before the tank was full. Mazda have no idea what the problem could be. The problem has gotten so bad that now I can barely squeeze in 10litres before the fuel comes spirting back out of the tank. Has anyone elsebexperienced this problem?
    I think this post is in the wrong thread...?? I think the moderators can move it...that aside...sounds like the gas tank vent line/tube is blocked...hhmmmm, do they even still vent the tanks now that I think about it? years ago they did but now with the newer systems, they may not be and I know theres some sort of static test they do on the gas caps here in TX...so maybe I'm off in the weeds on this one?
    But if they still have the vents, then it sounds like pressure is building when you try to fill it and as you put liquid in its shooting back out? pretty odd that it would be getting progressively worse though...hhhmmmmmmmmm. Its probably still under warranty right? try another dealer perhaps?
    I was replacing my OE tires with Yoko Parada Spec-X at Walmart.
    The guy before me had a fairly new Honda Odyssey. He was describing the strange issue he had with the TPMS to the technician. (I guess out of 3yr!!!)

My point is this. When it comes with TPMS sensors, it is the same among all brands. They all give false alarm. My co-worker's Lexus LS TPMS sensors have given him many false alarms. Each time, the dealer reset it and send him on his way.
    Its wireless, it shakes and spins like crazy inside the tires.
    It's bound to have "issues", if you know what I mean.... :P
  • jeff_dealjeff_deal Member Posts: 2
    I purchased a 2009 CX-9 in October 09 and now (January) just had the steering wheel slip(?) about 10% to the right (now sits closer to 1 o'clock than 12. I am getting ready to head in to the dealer but wanted to know if anyone else has seen this issue?

Never had hit a curb or big bump...it was just like it slipped a cog???

Also, read a thread earlier about handling in ice/snow and just returned from a bad trip (it was like floating whenever in ice/snow mix and only so-so in snow)...pretty sure it is the tires based upon the "tire issue thread" and plan on replacing and only using the stock tires in the summer months since I only have 6k on them.
  • marram_34marram_34 Member Posts: 1
    Hi all! I just wanted to let you all know how much I appreciate this forum and the information I have received.
    I am the owner of a 2007 CX-9 Grand Touring. It has 15k miles on it and I have had some of the problems mentioned here. My car has been in the shop numerous times and the issue with the snow/ice has been an insanely frustrating issue with me, since I crashed the car into the curb because I couldn't get it to stop on a snowy day. Of course, the Mazda folks would never admit to inferior tires or any issues with the car (although they have admitted that there were numerous complaints about the car not stopping). So, I had to go to the insurance to pay for "my" crash (I was going under 25mph) and the result was an increase in my premiums (never had a claim before). I live in the Northeast, so snow will always be an issue here. I suspected the tires may be the issue and I will be looking to change those out relatively soon. My luck, we won't get any more snow this winter. I won't complain, though.
    I, too, had issues with the steering wheel showing some "shimmy" (the term the mechanic used) when I would apply the brakes. The steering wheel would shake a bit (the car was also pulling slightly to the left). So, the dealership checked it out and they machined all the rotors and now the car feels brand new. It has only been a few days, so I am hoping it continues.
    I also had issues with the rear a/c control not being able to shut it off. I would have to put the temperature control to heat (all the way to the right) to be able to shut off the a/c to the back. The mechanic found an issue with the wiring and they corrected it. I tested it and it works great.
    I also have to mention that I am now having my car serviced at another Mazda dealership because the one I originally bought it from was terrible. They were condescending and never bothered to go the extra mile to check the car. I found another place that makes me feel like they are actually trying to help me. The lead mechanic actually drove the car with me while I explained what was wrong and how it was acting. He was able to note the "shimmy" on the steering wheel and recommended what needed to be looked at. He saw that the car was pulling to the left and recommended a diagnostic to make sure that the AWD was working.
    Hopefully, I will no longer have issues with this lemon. I am soooooo close to trading it in and getting something that I feel safer driving!