Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mazda CX-9 Problems

Comments

• cericceric Member Posts: 1,092
    You have a 2007, 1st year model.
    Basically, more issues with 1st year model is a well-known fact across all brands of automobiles. My wife's Prius had two recalls already. The 3rd one is coming in the mail, as I learned....

Anyway, the A/C Shut-off and Pulling-One-Side are both issues mentioned in TSBs for 2007. Easy to correct if the mechanic even bother to check the TSBs.
    Tire is unfortunately a bad choice by Mazda (and also used by other brands).
    There is no excuse for that. Just poor decision.
    Do yourself a big favor. Replace them.
    For a few hundreds bucks, you will appreciate the difference.
    The OE Dueler is a 3-season tire, not ALL-season.
    It lasts only about 25K.
  • george145george145 Member Posts: 3
    Has anyone had the constant knocking/popping/clanging noise emanating from the front end of their CX-9 referred to earlier in this thread resolved yet? My CX-9 makes a popping type noise that sounds as though it is coming from the front right of the engine bay. The noise is audible when turning corners at low speed with no throttle. I can also hear it at times when I come to a stop. The same noise is audible when changing gears from drive to reverse and vice versa. The noise developed at about 2000 miles and it sounds almost like floor boards popping; a non metallic flexing type noise. I have taken the car to the dealer about the noise on several occasions. They changed one of the motor mounts and made a few other adjustments, none of which eradicated the noise. Now the dealer is telling me that the noise is characteristic to the CX-9 and there is nothing they can do about it. The only explanation of the noise I have been given is that it is caused by the motor mount flexing and it is designed to flex.I find this difficult to accept as the noise developed over time and is getting worse. I am at the point now of selling the car as the noise is driving me insane. Surely Mazda can introduce a fix to resolve this issue. Please let me know if any dealer has been able to eradicate this noise.
  • vg33e powervg33e power Member Posts: 314
    If you are talking about the "click-click" noise when changing gears from a stop or accelerating from a stop, someone on another forum mentioned that its either the left motor mount or the little play the axle splines have between it and the splines in the hub which can be packed with heavy axle grease to mask the noise. It's not a permanent fix, but a long term temporary fix nonetheless.
    The noise is evident on some occasions when accelerating from a stop, especially in reverse. It is there when changing gears. The dealer replaced the #3 motor mount which I think is the mount on the right side of the engine bay. That did not assist. They have tried lubricating the hub splines and that did not assist either. I am beginning to think it is the transmission mount which I think is the #4 mount and on the left hand side of the engine bay. But I am sick of sick Mazda guessing and want a fix for this. Its a joke!
    You may be sick of it, but bottom line, your dealership is trying to resolve the problem unlike some dealers that don't give a rats [non-permissible content removed] about your concerns and just blow you off by saying "its a characteristic of the car".

I say as long as you are under warranty and not costing you any money other then your gas and time, let them continue to hack at it and try to find and fix the problem.

Us that are out of warranty are relying on you fortunate few that are in warranty to let us know what finally fixed the problems so we dont loose out money trying to fix something that will not make a difference.

Just my $0.02
    My dealer tried to resolve it but couldn't, and only after failing to resolve it did they tell me that it was a "characteristic of the car". Don't worry, they have used that on me too. I know that is bull****. Cars should not make these types of noises that develop so early in their life. More likely Mazda have mucked up the design and don't have a fix yet. I know now that if I want the problem fixed I will need to identify it myself and possibly pay to fix it once identified. So although I am under warranty, the so called warranty is not worth the paper it is written on We are in the same boat: completely exasperated. Not good enough Mazda. Never again!
  • k1200k1200 Member Posts: 40
    YUP...same here... mine is a 2007 CX9, at around 5000 miles perhaps a bit less.
    At low speed 5-15 mph making turns especially. But even simple driving over that tiny bump to enter my garage which is about 1 1/4 inch, it sounds terrible.
    If I make a u turn or a broken u turn it sounds like my vehicle is actually a OLD wooden ship creaking and straining from very old age. Its sound a lot like someone walking up an old staircase slowly, and its not subtle either.
    I took mine to the dealer numerous times, even to different dealers. The place where I bought mine from acknowledged the sound and told me "its the covering in the wheel well rubbing" I could not believe they said that, when you could clearly see that was not the cause. I left it with them and after 2 days I got it back. They told me it was a motor mount, and that they replaced it.....I am not a mechanic but I know enough to ask them to show me, which they said the lift is occupied. When I went home I put it on the ramps and went looking, nothing replaced, but they did put enough lithium grease on almost every nut and bolt under the vehicle.
    Next day it rained hard, grease washed off, loud creaky noise is back.
    I am done with trying to get satisfaction with this car, there are many, many more issues with it.. And like I said before, its garage kept, well maintained... but out of every new vehicle I have ever owned which was 10 this one has to be the most disappointing. Heres a quick run down...
    CD player failed to work from the 1st day
    sudden severe vibration in steering
    brakes making a loud clicking noise (still does)
    drivers seat adjusts without being touched. (stopped on its own)
    rear blower a/c- heat come on full blast when ignition it turned off, and can run up to 5 minutes....(still happens frequently)
    *new* drivers seat belt will not retract, you have to "feed" it back in
    Radio wont come on at all (once in a while)
    drivers window reopens as if something is blocking it...(once in a while)
    Im am not making any of this up, this is what I have put up with. I am done with this vehicle...its paid for, time to get rid of it get something reliable.

:mad:
    If you are referring to a creaking noise coming from the front end as you described, the solution is to apply lithium grease to the bump stops that ride on the shaft of the front struts. Someone at another forum told me about the fix and I did it to my 07 Touring because it creaked in any road imperfection and guess what...4 months later and a few storms in between the creaking has not come back. I am not saying that it is a permanent fix but it is a very easy inexpensive fix anyone can do whenever the noise comes up. Don't be afraid to ask like you did and don't be afraid to get a little dirty...

CD player failed to work from the 1st day (warranty)
    sudden severe vibration in steering (could be due to inproper balancing or it could be related to TSB 02-003/07)
    rear blower a/c- heat come on full blast when ignition it turned off, and can run up to 5 minutes....(TSB 07-008/09)
    *new* drivers seat belt will not retract, you have to "feed" it back in (warranty)
    Radio wont come on at all (refer back to item #1 warranty)
    drivers window reopens as if something is blocking it...(READ owners manual, sometimes windows need to be re-initiated)

Common guys lets stop putting Mazda down because all brands have flaws, the fact that the dealership network is more often then normal incompetent does not speak for the whole entire company name. I work for a dealership who services, Ford, Lincoln, Mercury, Chrysler, Jeep, Dodge, Honda, Toyota and Scion so please dont tell me I am not exposed to customer complaints or issues with their vehicles.
    not a down, just very frustrated.... by the way thanks for the input about the struts, i will give it a try when I can. But like I said I had been to the dealership 11 times in 13 months. And I am always polite and reasonable. But when you are there so often, I would walk through the doors and they would throw their hands up and say "what now' like its my doing. When I showed the guy the window issue he said "its a safety feature" Fine Im all for safety, but I cannot close my window.. never resolved. And the issue with the cd player from day one was comical to say the least. The cd player itself never had the slot to insert a cd cut into the unit.....it was there but you just could not put a cd in....they replaced the entire unit, worked fine, but now occasionally wont come on at all.
    like I said just frustrated.....who knows maybe a RX8 in the future
    k1200, you said no slot cut out on the face plate??? LOL! that is comical! I have to side with you on this one because QC did not catch this flaw three times (at the manufacter, at Mazda when built, and at dealership when they did the PDI). You know, now that you mention it my Mazda5 used to do this as well, the entire headunit would just be dead and I would have to turn the car off and turn it back on in order for the headunit to work.

If the dealership is treating you as if you are a burden, it's time you visit another Mazda dealer (if possible) and take your business somewhere else. Like I said in the past, poor dealership ettiquette should not be conveyed as Mazda's over all image...unfortunately they act as Mazda's representatives.
  • felixa7felixa7 Member Posts: 15
    I'm trying to buy a black on black CX-9. The dealerships have been giving me a real run around. They all claim that they can get a car from a partner dealership, today. But then they say that the car is in the port and should be released within the next 24 hours. They've been saying this now for a few days! What's going on? I've heard rumors about broken seat heater modules that drain the batteries -- the manufacturers are trying to fix the issue at the port. Is this true? How long will the hold last? And have they fixed the problem on the models in stock?

Also, the dealers are quoting me $ 32,600 for a CX-9 GT with moonroof and power liftgate but no nav. Is that a good price?
  • svofan2svofan2 Member Posts: 442
    The price sounds ok...but I was under the impression that if you get moonroof,and power lift gate you MUST get Navigation....sane with RES (dvd player) the power liftgate and the navi are prt of eith package..with their corresponding prices of course....see Mazda buid site
  • kcm8419kcm8419 Member Posts: 121
    I just brought my 2008 CX-9 into the dealership on Saturday due to an antifreeze leak. The dealership called me back and told me that it was a freeze plug that went bad. They also said that according to the parts manual they cannot get a freeze plug to replace it. They said that they are going to have to talk to a Mazda engineer to see what can be done with this and call me back. Mind you I live in the SW part of the country so we do not have terribly cold weather. It sounds to me that the freeze plug rusted which would lead me to believe that the problem is with the antifreeze, FL22. This vehicle has just under 11,000 miles on it.
  • bryholmesbryholmes Member Posts: 2
    I just took my 2008 CX9 in with 19,500 miles for Brake noise. When I go from Reverse to forward or forward to reverse there is a brief clanking noise coming from what sounds like the brakes in the front end . After taking apart the brakes, they told me Mazda said it was normal and there was a bulletin regarding the ABS system and this noise. I asked for a copy of the service note and for a number to call to complain. Why did this noise -which you say is a normal part of the ABS come about after 19,000 miles? This is a BS answer. Otherwise I love the car.
    Read your post about the noise from the brakes. Perhaps we had or have the same issue. When I am in park , apply the brake then shift into gear the is a very audible "click". especially moving backwards say into my driveway or parking. When I took mine to the dealer they told me it was "Front brake pads shim-kit"
    They said they replaced it.....two days later click, click, click.

:confuse:
  • kcm8419kcm8419 Member Posts: 121
    I heard from the dealership yesterday and they said that after talking to the Mazda tech line that the problem is a bad water pump and not a freeze plug. Now all that they have to do is drop the engine to replace it.
  • doggrandmadoggrandma Member Posts: 144
    The CX 9 is one of several vehicles that are on my short list of possible buys. With the problems all of you have had with this vehicle. would you buy it again if you had the opportunity?
  • bryholmesbryholmes Member Posts: 2
    I have had only 1 problem with some brake? noise with 19,500 miles on my car. When I go from forward to reverse or reverse to forward at slow speed there is a (brief) noise. This started a few hundred miles ago. I Love the car and would buy it again, There is no long term reliability data with the CX9 being so new. I can only hope this is the only problem I have. Love the car!
  • jcpharmjcpharm Member Posts: 92
    only had one minor issue fixed at my first oil change. i would definitely buy again - love my CX-9.
    Compared with the scare of "unintended acceleration" (Toyota, in case you wonder), I would live with small issues like noises and rattles. BTW, I owned mine for two years, 25K miles. I only had a window assembly issue. A couple TSBs fixed. Taken care of at oil change. My wife owns a Prius. We are kind of worried.

Love my CX9. Period. I'm a ex-BMW 540iA owner. :)
    I have only owned my 2007 CX-9 Touring FWD for 6 months now but have put well over a years worth of miles in it. Bought mine used and now at 62K miles nothing major (knock on wood) just a couple (literally) things I fixed on my own.

I would definately buy another CX-9 except this time I would go with an AWD GT!
  • svofan2svofan2 Member Posts: 442
    ..your is a good and valid question, I am in the same situation as you and yes the Toyota issue has me worried, i still remember the infamous Audi 1985 unintended acceleration issu that almost took Audi down the proverbial toilet. One thig that you and I as well as other prospective buyers of the Mazda CX9 are overlooking is that the complaints are relative small when compare to amount of sales of units. Also we will never hear anything from the thousands of buyers that are doing very well and are happy about their purchase. Lets know how you do and what you get...good luck.
  • spartanman2spartanman2 Member Posts: 61
    I must be one of those fortunate owners who has never experienced a problem with my '08 CX9 Grand Touring ( knock on wood). I did need to replace the 20 inch Bridgestones at 35,000 miles...it was a disappointment they didn't last longer. However, I agree with the previous postings that, in light of Toyota's recent issues, any little thing that may go wrong on the CX9 are relatively minor in comparison. I average about 20,000 miles a year, combined highway and city. This has been a great, comfortable ride for a family of 5 and a 100 lb dog.

I would buy one again ( if I had to) in a heartbeat.
    Thanks, everyone, for you responses to my question. Right now I own a Mazda3 that has been a wonderful little car, but we own 2 large dogs and I am thinking of getting something more suitable for toting them with us. I have a short list of vehicles I am considering - the CX9, Subaru Outback, and the Honda Odyssey are the main ones.

I crossed Toyotas off my list due to the recent bad news.
    Odyssey, like most Honda, has weak braking.
    Also, pay attention to the road noise to see if you can live with that.
    W/o active noise canceling, the Odyssey is on the noisy side.
    CX9 does not have both issues, strong brake and very quiet for its class.

Don't know about Outback enough to comment on it.
  • horseygirlhorseygirl Member Posts: 13
    "rear blower a/c- heat come on full blast when ignition it turned off, and can run up to 5 minutes....(TSB 07-008/09) "

Yesterday, everytime I shut off the engine, the A/C (front) would go on full blast. I don't know how long it stayed on as I locked the door and went on. But it happened continuously. This did happen one other time but not like yesterday. It was a nice Florida day and I had the windows open most of the time. I see that there was a TSB issued for the rear heat doing this...would my issue be under the same TSB or is there another one? I do plan to go to the dealership but want to go in informed so they can't brush it off as something intermittent. ;)

Thanks for any information that can be provided!!
    TSB applies to both front and rear blowers, they both have the exact same faulty relay (black). If dealer does not want to cover it, then just buy two relays (one for front and one for rear blower) and install them yourself. They are very affordable and easy to install. The updated relays are light blue in color.

Part number #G115-67-730

Hope this helps!
    Yes, your reply has helped a lot!! Thank you so much!! But, I do have another question.....

I gather the relays can be purchased at any auto supply store or are they OEM to Mazda. Also, are they located in the fuse box ? You said it was "easy" so to me, that would be an easy fix!! :blush:

Thanks again for your help!!
    I am not 100% sure you can buy the relays at your local parts store, it may be possible, but I would just rather go to the dealer part dept. and install the ones that the TSB mentions because its obvious that Mazda already did its research and found the correct load and relay to fix the hanging up of the old relay.

If you open up your hood, you will see two black boxes located on the driver side towards the firewall of the engine bay. The larger box is a fuse box, the smaller slim box is the relay box. Open up the relay box and look underneath the lid to locate the relays for the blowers. They are clearly identified "FR" and "RR" pull the old black relays out and install the new light blue (Mazda OEM) ones, close the lid and VOILA!
    Again, I thank you for your quick response and instructions. I'm pretty sure I can handle it..hopefully without breaking any nails!!!

I shall report back and let you know how the relay replacement surgery goes!! ;)
    Hey...there are many great things in life and one of them for me is seeing a girl get her nails a little dirty fixing her car...go at it horseygirl you'll be alright!!
  • felixa7felixa7 Member Posts: 15
    If I have two car seats fastened with seatbelts in the second row, is there any way for adults to get into the third row? I can't push the second row all the way forward because of the seat belt.
  • jcpharmjcpharm Member Posts: 92
    i use two carseats (one infant carseat and one booster seat with a back) and it cannot be done. if you leave your 3rd row seats up and you use seatbelts, perhaps you can place the older child's carseat in the 3rd row? not sure, since i've only done this with my booster seat and only when i put the 3rd row seat up (which is only when i have extra people to take around).
  • mossboss1mossboss1 Member Posts: 1
    Read in this thread (and many others) that the silver trim was faulty in 2007 and 2008 (at the least). Also that there was a TSB on it. We looked at 2 2008 Grand Tourings, one was nicked up pretty good, and the other was SCRATCHED TO HELL! I mean, these are 1.5-2 year old cars. A couple of questions:

1) Did the TSB solve the problem for good? Or did the silver still get all nicked up.

2) Do the 2009 or 2010 grand tourings still have silver trim that gets nicked and scratched?

Thanks alot for any info, shopping all years and trying to decide if we should go new or used.
    I have a 2008. The silver trim pieces were replaced on my request.
    The old ones can peel off very easily (with finger nails).
    The problem was that a special coating was missed in the manufacturing process by the supplier. The new ones hold up much better, but don't expect it to be scratch-proof against metal objects... Mine are still scratch-free so far.

Some 2010 lower end models don't have silver painted trim pieces. Instead, pure plsatic pieces are their places. Can't say I like that better.
  • crybaby41crybaby41 Member Posts: 3
    I am having the same issue as you and some other people as far as the brake noise. I took it to the dealer and they told me that it was normal system noise. It is so load sometimes that I can hear it with the windows up and the radio on. It also feels to me that I can feel it in the brake peddle when it happens. Have you found any solution for this issue. I also ended up getting up very, very early to meet a mechanic and take it for a test drive only for him to tell me the same thing. Total BS because besides this issue I love the car.
  • mk_reefmk_reef Member Posts: 2
    "I have a short list of vehicles I am considering - the CX9, Subaru Outback, and the Honda Odyssey are the main ones."

I traded in my '05 Odyssey EX-L for a '10 CX-9 GT AWD.

Odyssey handles well for a minivan, but really comes down to huge cargo space for hauling people or stuff. Removing the 2nd row seats and you get full 4' x 8' sheets of drywall/plywood on the floor laying flat.

If you need that kind of space, you have to go with it. We only used that kind of space once or twice a year, so we went with the smaller CX-9.
    BTW, a site has compiled a list of vehicles that have registered unintended accelration complaints, and there are no Mazdas on their list. Now, that just could mean no one has registered this type of complaint about a Mazda, but it is nice to see.
    edited March 2010
    "a site"? Why not check the federal data base?
    http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/complaints/index.cfm

I counted only about 5 complaints on '08-'10 CX9 (notes: some are duplicated), and more than 40 for '08-'10 Highlanders (for example). Of course, one can argue that Toyota has sold about 3-4X more Highlander than Mazda did CX9, so, your own judgement is required here.

BTW, most of the complaints on CX9 have corresponding TSBs, and have mostly, if not all, been addressed properly. Yes, no unintended acceleration :)
    Sorry, I couldn't think of the name of the site when I was posting my comment.
    I suffer from OBS (Old Brain Syndrome). ;)

The site is thetruthaboutcars.com and I got the link from a post here on the forum "Toyota on the Mend for 2010?".

Thanks for the link.
    doggrandma,
    If my tone sounded impolite, my apology for it.

Just thought that if we cannot trust a data base owned by the fed, which site can we really trust?!
    Cheers, :)
    Oh, no, not at all. I did not think you were being unkind. I just wanted to post the site (once I remembered it), in case someone wanted to look it up for themselves.
  • bmk007bmk007 Member Posts: 27
    We went to start our CX-9 this morning, and it appears to be "locked" in the steering column. The ignition won't turn. The battery is fine. I tried the manual key inside the smart key and that doesn't work. We've tried everything.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.
    edited March 2010
    Is the yellow Key-shape light flashing when you get in the CX9?
    If not,
    check the battery in the SmartKey.
    You can find a new one at RadioShack or Frys.
  • kucker64kucker64 Member Posts: 2
    Possible SIMPLE solution (Most likely not the issue).

But make sure you:
    - have the car in park
    - depress the break
    - cut the wheel hard in both directions while trying to turn key to pre-ignition point.

This would only help if was just an issue w/ the steering wheel locking up.
  • jonathanl65jonathanl65 Member Posts: 5
    In our Mazda CX9 2010 (purchased 12/24/2009) we have a problem with my wife's cell phone charger getting stuck in the AUX power outlet between the front seats.

We have plugged in several different chargers before in the past few months with no issue. However, this weekend her phone charger went in but it cannot be pulled out- no matter how hard I have tried (without causing damage). It also will not rotate.It is truely stuck.

The Mazda delearship folks say they have had this issue with 4 other customers. They are working with Mazda to report and resolve this. They tell us that they need to order a part (presumably a new outlet) and that when it comes in they will fix the issue under warrentee.

There is also another post where another person said they had the same issue with their dash power outlet. So this issue may be a problem with both the dash and between-the-seats aux outlet.

Besides this issue, we experienced a leaking sunroof (moon roof) which they fixed under warrentee.

We LOVE the car! Looks nice. Drives beautifully. Very comfortable, smooth. In just over 2 months we have but 4,000+ miles on it.
  • tomhaetomhae Member Posts: 2
    I have an 08 CX-9. This morning when we unlocked the car with the keyless entry, the front two windows rolled themselves all the way down! This is the only time we have observed this, but being rainy season and for obvious security reasons, we are a little concerned. I did a google search for the issue, but did not find anything. Has anybody else had this problem? We have also had the phantom blower activation as described in post #229, but we have not replaced the faulty relay's yet. I'm thinking it is probably going to be related. Aside from these two issues, the CX-9 has been great, and we would buy another one. :) Just the right amount of space, power, and options.
  • mcareatmcareat Member Posts: 1
    I am having the same problem, glad to hear I am not the only one.
    I would change the relay ASAP.
    A faulty relay can play all kinds of tricks on you.

CX9 windows can be rolled down if you continue to press the unlock button (after the first press?). Anyway, your fob may not be at fault (or maybe), but fix the relay first. It is only a few dollars each.
  • tomhaetomhae Member Posts: 2
    Wow thanks! We had no idea the keyless entry could roll down the windows like that! My wife must have been holding the button down without realizing it. Well, one mystery solved.
    Still love our CX-9!