Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota 4Runner

Comments

• steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Dealers buy oil in bulk and most figure that 10w30 will work for most of the cars that come in and they won't need to keep a bunch of different tanks of oil around. Unless they put the empty quart containers in your seat, how will you know they put something else in? Follow the money.

Steve, Host
  • mcrosmcros Member Posts: 1
    I also have a 2000 SR-5 4Runner and i am having the same problem. I was wondering if you ever had the problem fixed or even diagnosed from a shop. The back end of my car also shakes from side to side during really bad shakes. I know this is years later but please post if you had anything done.
  • coranchercorancher Member Posts: 232
    alwayslearning, I may have answers for a couple of your questions.

The location for the interior filter is probably described in the operating manual. If not, you might talk with the parts guy (and look at his database with him) at a dealership. Some of them are pretty helpful.

The clunking noise after stopping may indicate that the driveshafts (universal spiders and slip joints) need lubrication. This is not hard job and should usually be done with oil changes, but lots of places neglect it (even if they say they did all the recommended lubrication).

If you do a coolant change or flush, use the Toyota coolant. It's different from most aftermarket stuff (less silicates, if I remember correctly, and easier on your water pump) and not too expensive compared to the labor involved and possible problems.

If you chage your oil frequently (according to the schedule recommended by the manufacturer) I don't think you need to run synthetic, though it wouldn't hurt. The main thing is not to delay oil changes. A number of recent engines seem to be sensitive to extended oil changes, and will sludge-up rather than just start burning more oil.

For the transmission fluid, if it's an automatic it uses some form of ATF, while the transfer case and manual transmissions generally use regular gear oil (80W-90 or something similar). Follow the manufacturer recommendations for time and mileage, and if you're not sure about the history of the vehicle, changing these (a flush may not be necessary) is cheap insurance.

Plugs don't need to be replaced very often, so I just use what the manufacturer recommends and put anti-seize compound on the threads when reinstalling. Get a torque wrench to do the plug installation.

There's very little about maintenance procedures in the owners manuals, so you might want to check into a service/repair manual set for your vehicle. They're available in different forms (sometimes on CD in addition to paper) and from both the manufacturer and aftermarket. Also, search here and other sites (can't mention them here) for more detailed maintenance discussions.
  • nippononlynippononly Member Posts: 12,555
    If you look closely, it is clear to anyone familiar with Runners that the truck in the photo is several years older than represented by gagrice. At least 10 years old, and more likely 12-13.

And for those of us driving every year on snowy or salted roads, this is a reminder to us of WHY Toyota recommends cleaning the underside once in a while, eh?! ;-)

2014 Mini Cooper (stick shift of course), 2016 Camry hybrid, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (keeping the stick alive)

• dadoftaydadoftay Member Posts: 136
    Yes, both were new. The Pathfinder feels "heavy" for lack of a better term. The motor is sweet and the tranny is pretty well matched, but the 4Runner just seems to feel more "nimble". (anyone got a thesaurus?) Interior wise, I felt the 4Runner had more room. I don't read interior dimensions, it has to feel good. And suaria is right, the quality feel is more present in the 4. I bought a Murano last year for the wife and it has been super. There is a distinct feel of quality and luxury in the Murano that is simply lacking in the Pathfinder. I know there are price points here, but when the wife notices, it's substantial, and no, I'm not knocking women and cars, but my wife couldn't give $.02about vehicles.
  • canddmeyercanddmeyer Member Posts: 410
    2003 (and newer) 4Runners use different sized windshield blades. Driver and passenger blades are not interchangable. Just thought someone might want to know this.

On another note, I talked with a 2003 4Runner Sport owner today. Like me and my SR5, he too said there is way too much 'bounce' in the vehicle, and the vehicle wanders at highway speeds. He said both his early 90's and late 90's 4Runner's had much better road manners. He has the Bridgestone's, I've got the Dunlops. Glad to know I'm not the only one with this experience.
  • sauriasauria Member Posts: 12
    I've been breaking in a new SR-5 4x4 v-8 and have noticed a slight rattle sound in the drivers door. It occurs at low speed and sound like plastic parts rattling inside of the door. Yet, it is more pronounced on cold days (just froze) and seems diminished as the interior heats up (running heater).

Any experience with this as a past issue? How did you solve it?

I am going to try and put some armor all on the door weatherstripping and see if this has any effect. Seems to make the doors quieter on VW's.

Thanks
  • idntnvuidntnvu Member Posts: 254
    I personally like the '04+ 4Runners myself a little to the better than the Pathfinders, but I kinda like the new Pathfinders too. However, in my price range, I'm lookin at used ones, and even the '04 4Runner lacks several thousand being in my price range.

I too am like you, I don't care about interior dimensions, it's gotta have room for my big butt and some room to stretch out. I went from a '98 Suzuki Sidekick Sport to a '99 Explorer and it was like going from a sardine can to a Leonard building. It just fits me, and is comfortable. I knew the Suzuki was a bad sign when I test drove the thing, sat in it, and the door wouldn't even close. It bounced off my hip. BUT, I didn't pay for it, so I didn't really have a say so. I had to get used to getting in, leaning to the right to shut the door, then leaning to the left to put the seat belt on, then trying to get level so I could drive.

The '99 and '01 4Runners I drove both felt the same, didn't have enough room. It didn't lack much matching the Explorer, but the main thing was the seats. They were too narrow before the sides tapered outward. If that was an improvement on the '04, then I would have to consider it. I didn't get a chance to drive a Pathfinder, so I'm not sure how it compares as far as room, but from everything I read the seats were definitely more comfortable than the Toyotas pre-'04.
  • kheintz1kheintz1 Member Posts: 213
    I would not recommend putting Armor All on the weather stripping (or anywhere else for that matter), since it may eventually cause plastics and rubber to dry, crack, and become friable.
  • etoilebetoileb Member Posts: 34
    Help,

Have been looking everywhere trying to find evidence that 3rd row seats and side/side-curtain airbags exist in the same package. Am not bothered about whether it comes in V8 or V6.

CarsDirect and KBB allow the two options to be selected in tandem. Am I dreaming or do I need to special order?

Thanks in advance

EB
    Thanks, what would you recommend instead?
    sauria, it appears that the earlier formulations of ArmorAll were hard on the long-term health of rubber and vinyl. There are claims that the recent versions are much improved, but I'd suggest going to a better product to be sure. I've heard the best recommendations on 303 brand protectant (303products.com) over the past few years, and that's what I've been using with good results.
  • bconroybconroy Member Posts: 7
    Looking for 17 x 7.5 steel wheels to mount my blizzaks. Anyone know where I can get these?
    Thank you so much for the tips!
  • depdep Member Posts: 79
    Ok, I talked to Carmax and they indicated that they should be able to order any 05 Runner with any options I want (that are noramlly offered) from Japan with a ~3 month delivery all for under invoice.

They will confirm and get back to me on Mon or Tue they say...we will see!

-D
    I hear ya on squeezin' in something. My problem is the vehicle I'm replacing is a GMC safari cargo van. It has tons of interior room. Hey, the thing is a box on wheels. The Pathfinder was nice but the 4 just felt better to me. Now, if you need room and don't have a Trump size budget, look at a SafAstro van. I have 150K on mine with only a few squeaks and rattles. To be honest, those came from me being cheap and having a service done by an independent shop. Now, you're gonna give up some quality, some ride/drive characteristics, and definitely some coolness factor, but I actually looked the other day at a 2004 Safari that only had 18K and was loaded and the GMC DEALER only wanted $12,500. Therein lies the other problem, these vans drop their value like nothing else. But it's just a thought.
  • runnerboy1runnerboy1 Member Posts: 2
    Yep,

I am a large butted, 250 lbs chap and I have no problems squeezing into my 1999 4runner.
  • idntnvuidntnvu Member Posts: 254
    HAH! You just described me too!

I'll just have to shop around some more. I loved the look on that thing. I still think about it once in a while. That big hood scoop just did something for me, ya know? haha
  • hmshms Member Posts: 2
    As you all know that for SUV's, rollover is the most horrible thing that can happen, but something that SUV's are prone to. I have a 99 runner, and if there's one mod I'd like to do to it is to retrofit it with a vehicle stability control. Does anybody know if it is possible to outfit a vehicle with a stabaility control? If so who does this?
  • skellingtonskellington Member Posts: 4
    Stability control won't save you from rollovers except in a really indirect way. Stability control only helps you maintain directional control (helps with understeer/oversteer).

I guess if the loss of directional control results in hitting a curb or something that would cause you to potentially roll-over that stability control could indirectly be said to have prevented a roll-over but that's not a common situation.

I doubt that anyone makes a retrofit stability control system since you would have to tie into the car's computer to control the ABS and engine power (since that's how most stability control systems work).

Steve
    Well, Carmax called back just like they said they would.

They were quoted 6-8+ months to order an 05 4runner which is the same as saying it can not be ordered. He 'thought' they could find one that I wanted in another part of the country but I am not sure they exist.

Has anyone seen or purchased the following:

05 V6 Runner 4WD Limited

Side air bag option

Radio/CD Changer option

Spoiler

X-REAS (sp?) -the rear shock upgraded option

NO 3rd row

NO Sunroof

NO NAV

I have never seen one like that and even the Toy web site does not let you price one out this way.

I really liked the runner but it looks like I may have to find another option.

Thanks. D
    hms, I'm hearing more and more about stability control preventing rollovers and injuries/deaths. Apparently it's frequently a loss of directional control and/or overshooting that lead to rollovers. I'm guessing the rollovers themselves are caused by the loss of control leading to encounters with soft road shoulders, curbs, steep embankments, and sideways skids.

Unfortunately I don't think stability control can be retrofitted due to the number of components involved. In addition to an adequate braking system you need one or more accelerometers to figure out the direction of vehicle travel/rotation, and a steering sensor to figure out driver intent. Unless a vehicle was already pre-equipped to some degree (maybe VSC was an option that was available but not installed, so the wiring and sensors might be there) it would probably be cheaper to trade for a newer vehicle that had the technology.

The 4th generation (2003+) 4Runners all have this as standard equipment and I've heard that some 2000+ or 2001+ models had it as well. Maybe others can provide more specific information.
    i haven't been down the spec sheet and you may have covered this earlier, but wouldn't a Sport model fit the bill? I think, judging by all the time I've spent looking at different makes, you want a super cool looking vehicle but don't want all the stuff on the inside is like a needle in a haystack. Options, as have been explained to me by 3 different manufacturers, are done in packages. You can't just get a 4Runner with side bags and not get the sink in the console. You wouldn't want the 6-disc changer and not have the tinted windows to hide it. Toyota isn't the only one. About the only way to "one-off" something is to go American. I looked at GM and Ford and you can get a base model F150 with vinyl flooring and no power windows/locks/keyless, but they will let you get the 18" aluminum wheels and 2-tone paint like the Lariat. Domestics know it's all about the look.
    The major issue is that I can't fit in the runner /w a sun roof as I am too tall but I want the other options that come /w a Limited and really insist on having side curtain airbags.

Personally, I don't care for the look of the Sport and I don't think you can get leather in that trim line, right?

-D
  • hmshms Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for the advice.

I guess I will have to wait until my ship comes in. Until then, just extra care on rain-slick curves...
    You are correct, I wasn't thinking leather and no I don't believe you can opt. leather in a Sport. I know it sound left field but have you been in a Sequoia? Maybe the extra size of the vehicle could help you fit a little more comfortably? Just a thought.
  • buffalogeorgebuffalogeorge Member Posts: 5
    The dealer I am working with (in Buffalo) told me that they work with a place that can add the leather and heat to the seats..something you might want to look into
    I used to detail vehicles for a living and for the door/window weatherstrip use straight slilicone spray. Auto supply or even Home Depot has it. Spray it on the strip about 3" away so as not to spray paint, glass, etc. It not only cleans the strip, it keeps it soft and pliable.
    This may have been addressed before but I only saw a brief post on the V8. I was bouncing between a 4Runner and a Tacoma to replace my work truck(after several other makes/models) and I found out now I don't really need the bed. So I pose my question from the Tacoma page... what are real world mpg figures for a 2WD, V6, SR5 4Runner? My driving is 95% highway around 70mph.
    My 4x4 V6 SR5 4Runner gets 21-mpg highway, 16-city. I suspect you'd 1-mpg better than that.
  • newto4rnewto4r Member Posts: 3
    Can someone please help. I have an 03 4runner sr5 with 265/70/16 tires on stock sr5 rims and would like to have a "bigger/bolder" look (like the sport or limited - I believe that they have 17 inch rims). Can someone recommend bigger tires without them looking too aggressive or without having to do a suspension lift?
    In some respects, count your blessings you have the 16" wheels. There is a sorry selection for 17" replacements.

Go to http://www.tirerack.com/tires/index.jsp

and read the reviews. On this thread, owners with the 17" Michelin Cross Terrains are ecstatic about their tires, especially in icy conditions.
    Oh, I'd forget about the bigger/bolder look. The computer will defeat any intentions you might have, like mud tires you can't spin in the mud! Personally, just stick with what works well with this vehicle. I haven't read of anyone modifying their 4Runner to accomodate bigger tires, & I've been reading this blog since early 2003.
    Thanks! I'll post you if I squeeze 22 and 17 out of a 2WD ;). Newto4R, as far as tires go, call 4WD Parts Wholesalers. Sorry, don't remember number or web. Nitto makes off-road tires in "not-normal" sizes(all those F150 riding on 23" wheels). Remember, if your only going for look, don't get too wild with the tread design. Noise and vibration from big cool looking tread blocks becomes an annoying, expensive lesson.

Also, canddmeyer makes a great point, don't get crazy with the oversizing part. A good rule is this:

If your size is 235/75R15, and you want bigger tires..

changing the 235 number by one size (say 265, being wider) you have to change the 75 by taking away the same amount you added, here being 30. Thus, your aspect ratio, or height, now becomes 45. Your rim sizes stays the same. So you would go from 235/75R15 to 265/45R15 to keep computers and speedometers correct. It gets really fun when you change wheel sizes!!!
  • lynx50lynx50 Member Posts: 7
    Suggest you try the following toyota dealership in the St Louis area:

http://toyota.fusz.com/New-Inventory.asp
  • nittanylionnittanylion Member Posts: 14
    Does anyone know what company makes the navigation unit software for the '05 4Runner? If you have an '05, can a passenger be adjusting the nav unit while you are moving or do you have to pull over and stop? I am comparing '05 Pathfinder to '05 4Runner. Thanks.
  • newto4rnewto4r Member Posts: 3
    Thanks for the info. My intention was to get the next size up ( I have 265/70/16 ) so maybe

275/75/16's might work. I would like to get some

good all weather tires, not mud tires or anything

like that.
  • alfster1alfster1 Member Posts: 273
    I am not sure of who makes the NAV unit, but you do have to be stopped or going less than 5mph to use the NAV system. This is a safety feature that is built in. You can preprogram 10 destination buttons and press them while driving though, however, you can not enter addresses or access other features on the fly.
  • nittanylionnittanylion Member Posts: 14
    Thanks alfster1. The Toyota salesperson told me a passenger could use it while the vehicle was moving. Did not make sense with the other research I have done. However, I have decided on the '05 Pathfinder even though I like the 4Runner nav better. The Path. just has so much more for the price.
    I don't think you'd run into any problems only going up one size like that. If you're looking for a good all around all-terrain, the Michelin Cross Terrain, Toyo Cross Country or Yokohama Geolander could be good set ups. I have to retract on the Nitto tires, my buddy only got about 22K out of his set. Not too good!
  • pfownerpfowner Member Posts: 3
    I just purchased one and I am very happy with it.

But I do have a question regarding the 4x4 operation.

When I shift from H2 to H4, both the center differential lock light and the 4 wheel drive light start flashing and they keep flashing until the 4 wheel drive system is fully engaged.

At that point, the center differential lock light stops flashing(goes off) and the 4 Wheel drive light stays on.

So my question is, is the center differential lock light supposed to flash during that time ? Is this normal ?

Thanks
  • andrew5andrew5 Member Posts: 1
    since the extreme cold weather conditions, I am hearing a noise coming from the area of the front windsheild and dashboard area. to date I have sprayed silicone to this area ran the defrost at hi temperature with no results. it is most obvious when traveling over bumps and dips in the road. ? any suggestions.
  • 2toyotas2toyotas Member Posts: 104
    It is totally normal. Until 4WD is fully engaged it is locked and you should only drive straight ahead or backwards until the system engages. Never turn while the system is not fully engaged. It takes a little longer to engage if you are on an incline or decline. If you are not driving and switch to 4WD or back to 2WD after you turn the knob put the transmission in neutral and it will engage very fast.
    Sure it's not in the front of the driver's door? I have a visor sound and driver's door rattle especially on cold days.
  • kheintz1kheintz1 Member Posts: 213
    My '03 4Runner Limited had the same noise during its first winter (and in fact I posted a question about this), but interestingly, this noise doesn't seem present this winter. This suggests that whatever was causing the noise may tend to subside as the involved structures settle in over time(?).

Not too long ago, someone answered my post by saying that he had a similar noise with a Rav4 during cold weather. As I recall, he believed the noise was coming from an interaction between the exterior cowling at the base of the windshield, and the glass itself. I also recall that he reportedly solved this noise problem by carefully injecting (spraying) some WD-40 between this cowling and the exterior windshield glass. Let us know how you make out.
  • gsj3gsj3 Member Posts: 20
    I have a 2003 sport and it is a handful at highway speeds! A little bit of wind and forget about it. And who would ever put different length and width blades on a truck? What morons! I couldn't believe that! Has your windshield cracked yet? It will, this is the weakest glass I have ever seen. I'm not that happy with this thing at all, oh yea...do you have the V6 diesel?

Well mine sounds like one anyway, thanks Toyota, Oh what a feeling!
    I've already had 3 rock hit repairs on the windshield since I purchased it 8/2004. I've also removed my running boards to see if it helps in crosswinds, but of course I haven't experienced a windy day since. I'm happy with my engine - no complaints. Gotta love those washed out HVAC controls in daylight.

A few posts ago there was a conversation about engaging 4WD. Wait til you're stuck and find out you cannot engage 4WD cuz you can't get the vehicle to move to engage it. Oh, what a feeling!
    oops...vehicle w/V6 purchased 8/2003
  • sjohnson2sjohnson2 Member Posts: 4
    Ok you smart mechanics, try this one.

Ref a 2003 4runner sr5 .. 55000 miles.

A dealer has had this suv for a month and cannot find the problem.

Symptoms are that it runs fine up to about 30/40 mph, then if you press on the gas, even slightly, the engine falters. Idles fine, will rev up as far as you like as long as it is standing still. It is performance under load that causes the problem.

Things checked have been "bad gas", tank was drained and a fuel drier added to a new tankfull, no help. fuel pressure is apparently ok, checked under load I am told. NO ENGINE WARNING LIGHT SHOWS and hookup to the diagnostic computer shows nothing!

I have no reason to think the service rep is not trying, he tells me he has talked to Toyotas Gurus in california and they are puzzled as well. Any suggestions would be welcome, better yet has anyone had the same problem? Feel to contact me at skiplex@insightbb.com if you want to chat.