Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mazda CX-9 Problems

Comments

• bmohorekbmohorek Member Posts: 3
    I bought my 2010 AWD CX-9 used in May of 2012 (36k). I
    heard the noise soon after, had the PTO and Transmission
    replaced by the local Mazda dealer without a problem, but the
    noise is still pretty much the same. During the time they had the
    car I got a free loaner 2012 and also heard the noise in that,
    although maybe less noticeable. What is your new transfer
    case issue?
  • k1200k1200 Member Posts: 40
    My cx9 2009 had major issues starting with the slot for the cd never being opened,
    windows opening for no reason while driving
    drivers seat self adjusting while driving
    a horrible creaking noise when you make a u turn , which resulted in Mazda tech putting lithium grease everywhere didnt work.
    All console light going out
    The most interesting was when I would turn the vehicle off completely, the interior fan (front and rear) would come on full blast and run for about 10 minutes.
    They told me "thats impossible" I had the mgr meet me outside and showed him, this killed my battery 2x.
    The last straw was while driving home 40mph I started to hear a grinding noise and the vehicle began to go slower and slower,
    Transfer case had died, metal fragments and various other parts in the fluid. Had it towed back to the dealer, who said Quote... The vehicle has apparently been used for racing and exposed to ocean water over 10 inches. ??????? really.... Im a senior citizen, in the City miles from any beach. and again really racing a cx9....
    They denied my warranty....
    I went to another Mazda dealer....cleaned it up had my lovely wife show it to them to sell it.
    The vehicle body was mint, garage kept etc....
    They bought the car, we now have another car not a Mazda....
    never again ;)
  • charron6charron6 Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2010 CX-9 Grand Touring that I bought new in July 2010. In February 2012 and with just under 37k miles, the transfer case and transmission had to be replaced. We were without the car for over a month while waiting for them to put in transfer case and transmission #2.

The new transmission made a whistling noise that got higher (pitched) as you drove faster (sort of like a teapot when it boils). That transmission was replaced with transmission #3 in May 2012.

We never even got the car back from the dealer before the next transmission (#4) was put in, as transmission #3 was defective directly from the factory with a crack and leaked during the dealers test drive within 24 hours after being installed.

The car continued to give us problems in reverse (felt like it was bucking) and we had a motor mount replaced last week which cured the problem.

We've never towed with this car and it's been driven by my wife daily. It's always been well maintained and never beaten on.

For as many problems that we've had, I still continue to like this car. It gives a great ride and a very nice interior. But...I can't trust it anymore and we've got to get rid of it. I'd like to get the same car if Mazda would help me get into a new one given all of the issues that we've had, but I've asked them and they said no. To say it's frustrating is an understatement. While I've heard of many transfer case issues with this model, I have not heard of anyone having this many transmission problems.

I'm considering a Pilot, Acadia or Traverse. Hopefully I won't have as many issues with my next vehicle!
  • bmohorekbmohorek Member Posts: 3
    Did Transmission #1 have the whistling problem or some other problem?
    Also, did trans #2 exhibit the whistling at certain speeds/gears? Finally, I
    take it that #4 does not make the noise at all?
  • charron6charron6 Member Posts: 2
    The only transmission that whistled was #2. The first one failed when the transfer case failed. The third one had a crack and the 4th one is running good so far (it's been about a month).
  • sahuntreesahuntree Member Posts: 1
    I have same issue with smart key but found that my iPhone was the culprit. The key doesn't like the smart phone. If I turn off the cellular network, it works fine. ALSO, when I change the battery, the rubber sleeve that holds it in place must be totally pressed in on ALL edges....hope this helps.

To reset the key, (since smart phone disables it) you must take out the battery. PAIN, I know. But if you remember to keep phone away from the key, you are alright...
  • neontapirneontapir Member Posts: 1
    I concur. The keyless start on my '09 CX-9 has been the bane of my existence. I need a solution to this issue too.
  • gtpatriotgtpatriot Member Posts: 1
    Never put your key fob near your cell phone. The key fob won't work for a while after you remove the cell phone.
  • tonymogletonymogle Member Posts: 14
    Had the same problem on my 07.

The window weather stripping is faulty and folds over in the corner losing its seal. I drive on the highway at 75 plus a lot and it is very annoying.

I tried silicone behind the weather stripping and it just came of. My fix was expandable foam behind the weather stripping to hold it out sealing it to the window. Worked great. Good luck!
  • davichodavicho Member Posts: 190
    I have the same issue on the front passenger door. Seems to come from the upper corner and happens to be right by your ear when sitting down. Can you post a link to a picture of your fix or can you email a picture to me. I'd like to fix it the same way you did, that wind noise drives me nuts.
  • mazdacx911mazdacx911 Member Posts: 2
    I have a Mazda cx9 2011 it came with the wind noise, They ordered a part to fix it, I guess it was gasket on passenger door, it is better, but can still hear wind. now my brake booster went out around 37,000 miles.
  • tomw5tomw5 Member Posts: 9
    I had a 2011 CX9 with unbelievable wind noise. I could even hear it at a stop sign in the wind came across from the passenger side. We had the windshield replaced two times, The regional rep from St. Paul, MN went for a ride and initially assured me there was a problem and it would be taken care of. Later he changed his story to say there was nothing wrong. I had a 2008 CX9 with absolutely no noise. I must have had this vehicle into two separate dealerships at least a dozen times, but no one could find the problem. They finally decided they had changed the shape of the exterior mirrors and was nothing that could be done. I traded for a 2012. This eliminated most of the noise, but I do still hear some noise. I dealt with a dealership in Des Moines and because of the attitude of their service manager over this, will never return. Between this manager and the regional guy, I was absolutely shocked! The manager actually argued with me in anger on the phone at one point!
  • tonymogletonymogle Member Posts: 14
    to around 1k and up to 2k when the vehicle is placed in park. A new throttle body was installed and it had no effect on the issue.

Any suggestions?
  • adrianx1adrianx1 Member Posts: 1
    Perhaps noise generated by air passing across sunroof (assuming you have one). There appears to be a design flaw here. Does it happen across all wind directions? If not, then probably sunroof.
  • sfrenchs3sfrenchs3 Member Posts: 1
    Today, while driving normal speed on a fairly smooth city street, smoke started coming for the steering wheel. Not the column, but the little gaps between the actual wheel and the soft area. The smoke freaked my out, so I pulled over and got out. Closed the door and BOOM! my airbag deployed. Two minutes later my horn was sounding. The horn stopped but the airbag stayed inflated and smoking for quite some time. I did not hit anything, make a sudden stop or hit a pothole in the road. Completely random! Anyone else have this issue? CX-9 2007

I also had the rear blower issue. It was intermittent. The first two times I took it in, they said it was a computer problem and that the reset they did should fix the problem. You all know this wasn 't the answer. It came back and I was frustrated and just dealt with it. Finally, I was annoyed enough that I took it in, post 36K miles, to have it "fixed" and they said they couldn't because I was outside of the warranty window. Well, I made it clear that I wasn't leaving without it being fixed "no charge" because this has been an issue prior to the warranty expiring. I also came prepared with forum discussions like this with the solution so they couldn't say it was just a computer problem. That problem was fixed but not "solved" by the shop.

I also had a problem with the throttle body. From time to time, the rpm's would go up and down for no reason and when I needed to accelerate quickly, it wouldn't. I brought this problem to them six, SIX, times and each time they would say, again, computer reset. I was frustrated with my local shop and took it to another Mazda dealership and they found that the throttle body was cracked. I went a year with this issue before a shop diagnosed the real problem. That shop fixed it within two days and I have not had the same issue.

So, back to my original issue, has anyone had random airbag deployments?
  • crasher2crasher2 Member Posts: 1
    this just started today....when i take my key out of the ignition and open my door, the car starts beeping as if i have left my key in the ignition and it won't let me lock the car. what the heck can i do to fix this?
    You need to replace the ignition switch that is mounted behind the key cylinder. The switch is bad and leaves the circuit open, thus thinking that the key is still in the ignition and not letting the dome lights come on and not letting you lock the car. Replace the ignition switch and all should be good. I had the same problem on my Mazda5. Its fairly easy and inexpensive.
  • gungagunga Member Posts: 16
    Are you sure the second key is not somewhere in the car. Have done that. secone key in a jacket in the back
    He said that it continues to "beep" as if the actual key was still in ignition. The same happened to my Mazda5. The circuit is left open on the ignition switch...here is the TSB for the Mazda5, i am sure it is the same problem on his CX-9.

TSB: 09-032/06

MULTI-MODEL - KEY REMINDER CHIME KEEPS CHIMING OR KEYLESS ENTRY INOPERATIVE

BULLETIN NOTE: This bulletin supercedes the previous bulletin 09-32/06 issued on 7/18/06. The SUBJECT has been revised.

APPLICABLE MODEL(S)/VINS^ 2004 - 2006 Mazda3 vehicles with VINs lower than JM1 BK**** **526084 (produced before April 18, 2006)

^ 2006 Mazda5 vehicles with VINs lower than JM1 CR**** **125853 (produced before April 18, 2006)

DESCRIPTION

On some vehicles, the key reminder chime keeps chiming even though the key is pulled out of the ignition. In addition, the doors cannot be locked with the keyless entry system. This is caused by an internal failure from a contact plate that was not properly molded.

Customers having this concern should have their vehicle repaired using the following repair procedure.

REPAIR PROCEDURE

1. Verify customer concern.

2. Record the customer's radio station presets.

3. Disconnect the negative battery cable.

4. Remove the column cover. Refer to Mazda3 Workshop Manual section 09-17 COLUMN COVER REMOVAL/INSTALLATION or Mazda5 Workshop Manual section 09-17 COLUMN COVER REMOVAL/INSTALLATION.

5. Remove the ignition switch from the steering lock.

6. Disconnect the connector from the ignition switch by pulling down on the lever.

7. Reconnect the connector to the new ignition switch.

8. Install the new ignition switch.

9. Install the column cover.

10. Reconnect the negative battery cable.

11. Verify repair.

12. Reset the customer's radio station presets.
  • nosremenosreme Member Posts: 1
    I have the exact same issue with my 2011. Just got back from Mazda and they claim it is within tolerance. They claim the only other vehicle reported with this problem had trans and transfer case replaced with no change. They are saying it is "a vibration of the 6th gear planetary gear operating within normal range" The tech line reference number is 796990. They say bring it back if it gets worse. Not happy about this as it is annoying and a defect.
  • czechsmixczechsmix Member Posts: 1
    the TCS Off light is on, the bsm off light is on, traction light (car with squigly lines) is blinking. This all happens when the car is in motion and the steering wheel turns. Meaning the lights are off when the car is initially started and stay off until the steering wheel moves. Was told by our dealer in Toledo, Ohio that this is or may be the steering angle sensor located in the steering column. Has anyone else had this problem? Does the diagnosis sound right? Any help would be appreciated.
  • skaplanskaplan Member Posts: 4
    I have a Mazda case number. Perhaps we should exchange case numbers and bring them to the attention of our dealerships?
  • dogdoc1997dogdoc1997 Member Posts: 32
    Just picked up the the for my best bud in Atlanta; I got him a great deal $6500 off! It has 94 miles as I am driving it to the trucking company to take to him in Michigan the dash goes out???? I try the AUTO mode etc and what I see is when the headlights are on the dash is out including the NAv map; when the lights are off the dash comes on??? Warranty already! DOC
    Its the auto dim on the instrumentation when the headlamps turn on. There should be a button on the cluster to cancel the auto dim and keep it brightly lit regardless of the headlamps being on or off.
  • joelovescarsjoelovescars Member Posts: 7
    The other morning when I tried to start my 2012 CX-9, it would not start. This was one of the first times it has sat out all night and the temps were close to 10F. The power liftgate and keyless worked for opening the doors but still would not start. I have the wireless start fob. The CX-9 would also not take a jump. I had to have it towed to a local dealer in Wilkes Barre PA where they said they took it off the flatbed, adjust the battery terminals and it started. I found this odd since some of the electronics were still working. Anyone else have a similar story?
  • mincemanminceman Member Posts: 3
    edited February 2013
    (1) Loud Interior Rattle under second row seat.
    (2) Paint Defect that the dealer had to have known about. I bought the car at night and didn't notice it.
    (3) Steering Wheel shake when braking.
    I am now without my car which is at the body shop and feeling extremely frustrated.
  • ds21ds21 Member Posts: 1
    I have had no past trouble. I started the car to leave work and noticed it idling rough, I pushed on gas pedal and it sounded like I was running out of gas and it was missing badly. The engine light went on, the car temp is fine. It shifted ok but just kept missing and running poorly all the way home. Any suggestions as to the cause?
  • edrooneyedrooney Member Posts: 6
    I have a 2011 CX9 with about 25,000 miles. For the most part we have been happy with the vehicle.

However, this weekend the car stalled during driving and a loud clunk could be heard. After coasting to the side of the road, we noticed smoke coming out. Got the kids out of the car and notice a small fire under the car. We got futher away and called 911. The fire and police responded promptly. The fire was out before they got to us, but they still need to use the extinquishers due to some lingering smoke.

The root cause seems to be a cracked transfer case that leaked gear oil onto the exhaust. The car is being repaired now under warranty, but as I have read up it seems there are known issues with the transfer case. We were fortunate their were no injuries but this could have been much worse if we were on the highway. It seems to me that this should be a recall.

To date, I haven't gotten Mazda to be very responsive. We are stuck with $400 in towing and storage bills (car was impounded since police came and it was not driveable late on a weekend). The car smells of smoke. We are without a car and may need to rent if we can't get a loaner. And the car now has a "history" and the resale value is damaged. The initial response from Mazda was to call our insurance.

Does anyone else have similar issues with fire or have any suggestions to get some satifaction from Mazda? I am considering all options including filing a class action law suit.
    I found the following of another owner with virtually the exact same problem a few months ago on another site. See enclosed link and the cut and paste description below.

Mazda has a large problem on their hands.

http://www.arfc.org/complaints/2010/mazda/cx-9/

"10/14/2012 - OCONOMOWOC, WI
    I WAS DRIVING ON A STREET WITH A 25 MPH SPEED LIMIT WHEN ALL OF A SUDDEN THE CAR HESITATED AND MADE SOME WEIRD NOISES. I CONTINUED TO PULL OVER TO GET OUT OF THE WAY WHEN THERE WAS A HUGE BANG AND THE CAR CAME TO AN SUDDEN STOP. I WAS ABLE TO GET TO THE SIDE OF THE ROAD. SMOKE WAS COMING OUT OF THE ENGINE AREA AND THE CAR SMELLED TERRIBLE. I JUMPED OUT, GOT MY DOG OUT AND CALLED 911. THE FIRE DEPARTMENT AND POLICE CAME. FOUND METAL PARTS ALL OVER THE ROAD. SMOKE WAS MAINLY DUE TO OIL THAT WAS ALL OVER THE ENGINE AND BOTTOM OF CAR. RIGHT NOW THE INITIAL DIAGNOSIS IS THAT THE TRANSFER CASING BLEW ALONG WITH A VARIETY OF OTHER PARTS. THANK GOODNESS I WAS NOT ON THE FREEWAY. ADDITIONALLY, I WAS LUCKY THAT THE LARGE PARTS THAT BLEW OFF THE CAR DID NOT PUT A HOLE IN THE BOTTOM OF MY CAR OR DAMAGE SOMEONE ELSE'S CAR. "
  • optimistic2optimistic2 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2012 mazda cx9 and had the same problem with intermittent rolling down windows. It would be preceded by clicking in the door as if the doors were locking and unlocking and then whala the windows would roll down. They insisted on replacing the body control module. As I got in to drive away it did it again. Just so happens the actuator was disconnected from the lock on the door. Try unlocking or locking the drivers door with your key. If nothing happens that's your problem. It's a 30 min fix. They popped off the door and hooked it back up!
    Mazda is going to pay for all repairs and collateral damage under warranty.

The transfer case cracked and disintegrated. In the process of doing so it also broke off part of the transmission and they will replace that as well.

The regional representative from Mazda was at the dealer at the time and he indicated they know this is a problem. He blamed the transfer case on Ford who built them and he said they didn't build them to their tolerances.

This needs to be an immediate recall due to the safety issues involved.

To the others on here who are having transmission issues/whines, I have to believe that these are related.
  • vicky16vicky16 Member Posts: 1
    i am having little bit different problem but Mazda dealer replaced transfer case and its been almost 4-5 months and problem is reoccurring again.

problem is TCS off and TCS light both comes on at same time and car drives like uneven or driving on dirt track on a normal dry day on road. this problem happens very random.

i am taking the car for check up this friday. i will update on out come. please let me know if any one faced similar problem.

mine is 2011 CX9- GT with 31k miles.
  • floydsu77floydsu77 Member Posts: 5
    I just test drove the 2013 CX9 this past weekend and one of the things I noticed was the open seat tracks.

I have two small children who can be a bit messy and I'm concerned about 'stuff' falling down into these cracks. And we enjoy the beach as much as possible.

Are they easy to clean?

Are there mats that will keep it well protected and still allow for easy sliding?

Since I like to drive my vehicles till they reach their end life (minimum 10 years), am I going to have issues down the road? I've searched these forums and most seem to say it's a non-issue but these were folks with relatively new vehicles. I'd love to hear from someone who is 4 or 5 years into the CX9 (assuming the seat design hasn't changed drastically)

Thanks
  • missestex82missestex82 Member Posts: 1
    I have a Mazda CX9 I have been having problems with this vehicle since I purchased it used on May of 2012. It has been in a repair shop 6 times for several different things; rear differential leaks, seat belt repair (was damaged when purchased) both front tie rods replaced...and lastly... I took it in yesterday because it was still pulling to the left when driving, they did an alignmetn which came back fine. They rotated the tired and then told me the pulll is gone but that there was a horrible vibration coming from the car. You can feel it as low as 25 mph, and gets work when speeds increase or if you excelerate quickly. They first tried to tell my I had a bad tire....then after further look told me my U-joint was bad and I have another leak in my rear differential (the opposite one from the one fixed already on the rear differential). I am getting frustrated with this car and about to ask for them to replace the car....
  • aman5aman5 Member Posts: 1
    I have serious concerns about a potential manufacturer's defect with transfer cases on the 2011 Mazda CX-9 AWD.

Last week, my wife was out driving at night to get some groceries, when the truck suddenly seized while she was making a right-turn into a parking lot. At that point she was not able to make the truck go forward at all. She was able to put it into Reverse and go backwards successfully, after which she was able to go forward again after putting into Drive. However, there was a significant rattling noise coming from underneath the engine.

I did some research online based on the symptoms (rattling, truck seizing), and found that some people had experienced broken transfer cases on their relatively new CX-9 vehicles:

http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/archive/index.php/t-123740746.html

http://www.edmunds.com/mazda/cx-9/2012/consumer-discussions.html

http://www.starrausten.com/starr-austen-miller-investigating-2010-mazda-cx-9-tra- nsfer-case-failures/

While I saw nothing official, I saw a statement at the Edmunds site listed above from someone saying that their local dealer acknowledged that there was a problem with the transfer cases, in that they were not built to proper tolerances.

In any case, I brought the truck to my Mazda dealership the next day, and sure enough, they confirmed that the transfer case was broken and that there was also a problem with the front differential. Both the transfer case and the front differential needed to be replaced. The local rep claimed that this type of thing could happen when the truck gets stuck in snow, but I know for a fact that this truck has never been stuck in snow (it has AWD with Bridgestone Blizzaks on it…so it handles very well in snowy conditions).

The repairs were covered under the warranty, since the truck was only 1 year old with less than 15,000 kilometers on it.

The next day, I went to pick up the repaired truck from the dealership and brought some printouts of the above web sites with me to show the service rep. Nobody at the dealership seemed to be aware of any known problems with transfer cases on the CX-9, nor were they aware of any official communication from Mazda (e.g. service bulletin). I asked them if the new transfer case was at least a revised version of the original part, as I was concerned that I would experience the same problem with an unrevised part another year down the road. They did confirm that the part was revised, although it was not known why.

So I drove off from the dealership in the truck and went to pick up my daughter from preschool. On the way there, I noticed a strange vibration in the truck that would manifest itself from time to time. As I turned left from a busy road into the plaza where the preschool was, the truck suddenly seized. I had just barely cleared the left turn, with the truck still half on the crosswalk, so I considered myself extremely lucky that the truck did not seize in front of oncoming traffic.

I got out of the truck and was shocked to see that the front, passenger wheel had essentially come off the tie rod end and was wedged under the fender. In addition, the axle was broken at the CV joint (it seemed to have ripped out…). I called Mazda Roadside assistance for a tow truck to have the truck towed back to the dealership. The tow truck driver spent about an hour trying to hook up the CX-9, as he had difficulty trying to put the axle back in place. He had to do this in order to keep the CX-9 stable while towing and so that the wheel didn't flop around.

The dealership had a look at the truck the next morning and apologized for not catching the issue before they cleared the vehicle to me. I stressed that what happened was extremely dangerous, and that if this had happened at high speeds, I could have been in a serious accident. To their credit, they did appear to consider it a serious situation, and vowed to fix it properly and thoroughly test the vehicle before releasing it back to me.

Once it was fixed after the weekend, I picked it up again and I haven't had any problems since then. Both the technician and the manager road tested the vehicle before releasing it to me. The problem was diagnosed as a "loose axle", but it was inconclusive as to whether this was a problem that preceded their repair, or whether this was due to some negligence or mistake when the repair was made.

My concerns are that either incident (first seizure due to transfer case/differential issue, and second seizure due to axle) could have been much more serious than they were. Had this happened at high speed, and if I had my small children with me in my truck, this could have easily turned into a tragedy.

I find it particularly concerning that there appear to be earlier reported incidents of premature transfer case failures in the CX-9, and that there is no safety recall issued for this component. In my opinion, there should be a recall because of the potential of serious accidents. My family and I happened to be lucky, but the next family may not.
  • exxienexxien Member Posts: 1
    I have the 2008 Mazda cx-9. Two days ago i noticed that I couldn't unlock the doors using the keyless. On close examination i discovered the car battery was completely drained. No problems at all with the keyless entry. I had to jump the battery with that of a Toyota Camry 2005. All the lights on the dashboard came on quite alright, the lift gate works just fine and everything else. But the car engine just wouldn't start! I used INNOVA 3100 OBD2 to check but it didn't return anything. The engine check sign stays solid on the display. Anybody with info or help on this?
    I finally pick up my car today from the dealer after over a month to get the transfer case and transmission replaced.

The dealer has said that the replacement transfer case is upgrade, but I will believe it when I see it. I am very concerned that I will face this problem again.

To the last poster, please contact Starr Austen. I reached out to them with my details and basically they need more evidence to pursue this. The more people who contact them increases the chances that we can get Mazda to address this. I will be sending them all the paperwork from the dealer tonight.

My major concern at this point is as you stated that this could happen to someone else on the highway and very tragic consequences. Should be recalled now!!!!
  • d45d45 Member Posts: 1
    I can confirm your suspicion that the new transfer case may not be an improved version. On my 2010 CX9, all of the oil burned out and the transmission seized up as my wife was pulling out of the drive. She also has a car full of small children. This happened at 27,000 miles in Sept of 2012. They towed it, replaced the transfer case saying the defect had been fixed. Now, five months later, There is oil leaking from it and a second dealer is saying they have to replace the transfer case again. As much as I tried to get an expert explanation on why this is happening, they wont even try to comment. The service person says that we replace quite a few of them but will not comment on whether or not the problem might repeat. He uses the analogy of a light bulb saying that the problem is unrelated to other functions of the car and that the problem is specific to the TC. In other words, all he can do is replace the 3,000 light bulb. Sounds pretty dumb and unprofessional to me. I'm not sure who to contact to make sure this wont happen again after my powertrain warranty is up in two years.
    Just posting an update on my case.

We got the car back last Friday, but it does not seem to be operating correctly.

Lots of hard upshifts and downshifts with clunking.

But more importantly the transmission does not seem to shift correctly. This only seems to be when the car is first started. I have had the car in first gear pulling out of the driveway and the engine revs to over 4k and will not shift and crawls along. Same things happens in higher gears as well. This is again a safety issue if you are pulling out into traffic or making a left hand turn across traffic.

I'm taking videos and bringing back to dealer next week.

For anyone who has this problem, again please contact the attorneys listed in a prior post.
  • rick254rick254 Member Posts: 1
    Hi,

We have a 2008 CX-9 with about 85,000 miles on it. Approximately 10,000 miles ago it started exhibiting the following symptoms:

When going about 30-40 mph under very light load (level or slightly downhill), when the transmission is showing it is in 4th gear, the car will vibrate slightly when you put light pressure on the accelerator. The feeling is very much like running over mild rumble strips on the road. If you accelerate more aggressively, it runs smoothly/normally. If you put the transmission in manual mode, it will not display these symptoms - only when in automatic mode.

This started out very subtlety - my wife would point it out to me and I couldn't even notice it. But over time it has gotten more and more pronounced.

Again - only seems to happen when going between 30-40 mph in 4th gear under light load and when light acceleration.

Any idea what this is or what I should do about it? The transmission fluid has never been changed. My wife did take it to a Mazda dealer some months ago but all he said was "it's the transmission" and indicated it would cost about $2500 to repair. He also didn't seem to think it was anything that could suddenly get worse and let us stranded.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Rick
  • rkileyrkiley Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2011 CX-9 with 20,000 miles. It uses about 1 quart of oil per 5,000. Is that high? It seems like a lot to me. I'd appreciate any advice. Is that the norm for others? Thanks, Rick.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,760
    I have a car that uses a quart about every 4K miles, and that bugs me, too... However, that is well within spec, and I can't find anything wrong with the car, and every service writer or mechanic I've discussed it with says it is nothing to worry about...

How often do you change the oil?

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• rkileyrkiley Member Posts: 2
    Is the car a CX-9?

Our CX-9 oil has been changed at slightly shorter intervals than the recommended 5000 miles (we just changed it for the fifth time at 23000). So far all changes are by the dealer.

Everyone tells me not to worry, too. There is no sign of leakage or exhaust smoke.

Mazda has requested to measure/monitor at the next two 1000 mile intervals.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,760
    Nope.. Mine isn't a Mazda... that was a general comment. Generally, you can't get a dealer's attention unless you are using at least one quart per thousand miles.

Assuming nothing comes from it, I'd start adding a half quart at 2500 miles. I've been doing that about every 2000 miles. I wish it wasn't using/leaking oil, but not much I can do about it, without identifying the issue (which I haven't been able to do).

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• dccadcca Member Posts: 1
    I recently installed headrest DVD player and drawing the power from the cig lighter from the front under the console. problem I'm facing now is that the lights of the center console are no longer coming on, I checked all the fuses and they are all good. can you please give me other ideals of why this would happen?
  • albertcamusalbertcamus Member Posts: 1
    Here's my story (in a nutshell)

Car: 2009 CX-9

-Check engine light was on.
    -Had the dealer plug it in and EGR came up.
    -Car has 44K miles (Warranty has run out.)
    -I live in Illinois; there are no emissions laws that extends the warranty of that part. )
    -I'm pissed that I have to get a 700 dollar repair on a car that is somewhat new...
    -They told me that the EGR went bad because we didn't use "premium" gas. WTF???
    -Told by the service department (at the dealer) that the EGR and any effects to the engine will only be covered for 12 EFFING MONTHS!!!
    -Wife goes to pick it up today; pays, pulls out the parking lot and guess what? The ENGINE LIGHT popped back on!! (WTF??)
    -Wife goes back in and asks, "did we really need this repair?" and service guy (a nicer, more honest guy) tells her, "Y'know...I'm not sure."
    -they keep it another night and we'll see tommorrow.

Should I make an issue about paying over $700 for a new EGR valve when it really didn't make the Check Engine light go off?

I've already called corporate to complain about the EGR issue and how I think that a car with this few of miles has an issue like that already. (They are going to look into the issue and get back to me.)

p.s....The loaner they gave us looks like something a clown would drive at the circus. It's covered with stickers, pictures, and the windows have ADS all over them. It's super humiliating to drive.
  • soscaredmazdasoscaredmazda Member Posts: 2
    I am so beyond relieved to have found this forum. Im new as of today due to an incident this morning. Long story short, this morning while driving the car to work, it seized at a red light after starting to vibrate. It then started again only to hear this very loud noise and then started to smoke. Scared, I pulled into a gas station (I know I know but I panicked) only to see men running towards me with fire extinguishers in their hands to put out my car that I didnt even realize was on fire!!!! The bottom was shooting up flames. Thank god no one was hurt. I was to find out later in the day that it was the transfer case. I looked into this a bit only to find endless stories of how this has been an ongoing issue with Mazda. My dealership has confirmed this issue stating they have rectified the problem. I drive my 2 year old twins around in this vehicle and I'd have to be on drugs to ever want to sit in it again especially when reading all of these stories about this being a reoccuring problem!!! I plan on contacting Mazda tomorrow in hopes on getting an answer as to why this was not a recall if they knew it was an issue. If I dont get this vehicle somehow reimbursed, then a law suit will be in play....I want to note this is a 2011 CX-9 and before today I have been nothing but 100% happy with this vehicle....If anyone wants to chat about this privately please let me know. Im sure it helps to know others are going through the same thing
  • james1414james1414 Member Posts: 3
    I'm sorry to hear about some of the transmission problems. I have only 7K on mine and it drives like butter and is solid in it's road handling.
    :)
  • staggs4staggs4 Member Posts: 1
    This weekend my 2008 CX9 started making a weird noise when I turned left only...it was like my air compressor ramped up but did not blow harder. We thought it might be from under the car but really sounds like it is from the dash board area. Any suggestions?
    Did they actually replace the transfer case.

You should contact Starr Austen Miller at the link below. They cannot move forward on a class action without more cases.

http://www.starrausten.com/?s=mazda+cx-9

We had the same thing happen and it was my wife driving with our autistic son when the car caught fire. Very dangerous and could have been fatal on the highway. Felt the same way about the car, but now that it is fixed and time has passed, I'm okay with driving it.

Having said that, Mazda needs to do a recall NOW!!!