Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mazda CX-9 Problems

Comments

• not_2_shabbynot_2_shabby Member Posts: 29
    Thanks for checking that out. At least now I know there isn't something wrong with the car. I like about 95% of the things about this car, it's the last 5% that annoy me.

I would say though, if anybody out there is considering a cx-9 and is used to driving a car with autolocks this car may annoy you. If you want to drive with your doors lock(which is generally advised) then you have to get in the habit of manually locking the doors and then you have to manually unlock the door(pulling on the driver's door handle doesn't unlock the door). Also, as we have just confirmed, if you have the advanced key and you arrive to a destination that is dark, you have to find the door lock button in the dark to turn on the interior lights. In which case you are gathering up your items with your door unlocked or open and not paying attention to your surroundings. Of course you could turn on the map light(button is also not backlit) instead of unlocking or opening the door, but odds are one time you'll forget to turn it off, although I think it might shut off eventually to save the battery. Things you might not notice is a test drive. Call me paranoid, but that's the world we live in....
  • k1200k1200 Member Posts: 40
    my car is set to manual, I would have to turn my lights on, my problem was that the interior fan would come on full blast when the vehicle was shut down. Turned out to be a really charred relay.
  • aimeelabaaimeelaba Member Posts: 3
    My CX-9 also has pulling issues. It is all over the road. it has been in the shop so many times and still it doesn't handle right. I'm curious to know how many other people are having this problem. Sometimes when I come to a stop light the wheel shakes....
  • cericceric Member Posts: 1,092
    There is a TSB on the alignment (pulling to one side) issue.
    Bring the TSB to your dealer. If they have tried to fix it more than 3 times already, it is time to ask for a new CX9 based on Lemon law. :mad:
  • henmenhenmen Member Posts: 4
    I have barely 500 miles on my new 08 CX-9 when I noticed vibration when braking while going 45 mph or greater. I took it to the dealer yesterday and they machined the front rotors and the problem went away. However, my wife drove it to work this morning but had to turn around to switch cars because she heard a weird noise in the front end while slowing down before a complete stop. Took it back to the dealer and at first I was told the calipers needed lubrication so they did that and did a test drive to see if it was fixed. When the service manager came out to see me, he said he's not happy so he ordered new rotors and he'll replace my front rotors. This is ridiculous and am very disappointed. Just hoping I won't have any more serious issues after this one.
    Henmen:

I had my front brake pad, guide plate and rotor replaced due to groaning noise when stopping slowly (especially when it is cold).
    There is a TSB for it. The result is beautiful. It feels like new brake and very quiet.
    Have faith. Mazda is fixing problem and not shy to issue TSBs.
    Check out the list of TSBs, and see if your have those issues. It is better to fix them all in one shot, don't you think?
    I did three with one visit!
    Sorry to hear about your issue, I had one similar. After you had rotors resurfaced, what type of sound was it? Was it a "clicking" sound heard when you start to accelerate and /or braking ?
  • henmenhenmen Member Posts: 4
    I just picked up my CX-9 and after they replaced the front rotors with new ones, it drives and brakes smoothly. k1200 it sounded like something loose in the wheel well and was slapping on something as the car comes to a slowdown. I could only hear it at slow speed. Thanks for the advice on the TSBs, my dealer is not aware of any so I didn't get any done but I'll research them and hope to get them done if they apply to my VIN.
  • slipslide1slipslide1 Member Posts: 4
    Have had my CX 9 for 16 months (2007 AWD Grand Touring). No problems, no service (other than oil changes), wife loves (her) car. Now, first big snow since we have had it and it becomes absolutely uncontrollable, barely able to keep it on the road on flat, plowed roads. Even other, rear wheel non-4x4 cars were able to drive.

While trying to get it un-stuck, I could only see the front, driver-side wheel spinning. Nothing on rear wheels. It is the higher end AWD version of the car (Grand Touring, I believe). I have not been able to find a review or posting from anywhere that says anything except how good this car is in the snow. Tires are fine.

Anyone else heard of this problem? Car is at dealer now awaiting diagnosis.
    I saw another post similar to this on the mazdas247 forum, but the guy was getting some error lights on the dash too. It sounded like it was driving fine in the snow till the 4wd light came on. Another guy on the same forum swore his 4wd wasn't working until he saw all wheels spinning. The consensus on the tires is they are horrible in the snow, basically unusable. Let us know if the dealer finds something wrong.
    So far, no good. Dealer says they can't replicate the problem but that the car's system shows a fault. They pulled an advisory from Mazda that shows my VIN is in the range of cars having some other sort of related problem. They may have to replace the transfer case. They will know more tomorrow. They were, however, kind enough to point out that I would likely be needing new tires at my next oil change. They are going to move the front tires to the rear. Sounds to me like this problem might also be causing the tire to wear too much. What do you think?
  • cx9ercx9er Member Posts: 1
    slipslide1:
    I am having the exact same problem you describe. I have an 07 CX-9, AWD Grand Touring. I've been very happy with the car, until it started snowing. We had a large snowstorm for the last week (Seattle area), and the car has been totally unusable. It has slid, spun out of control, or gotten stuck anytime it touches the slightest bit of snow or ice. I now can't even get it out of my driveway. When it gets stuck, only one front wheel spins. The AWD doesn't appear to be working at all. I have tried switching off the traction control. I would be very interested to know what you find out at the dealership, and will likely have to bring mine in too, after the spring thaw that is. Please keep us posted!
    Seems consistent with the report on mazda forums. Also a 2007 and had to have a couple parts replaced to fix the problem.
    cx9er:
    Glad to know that it was not operator error. Sounds like the same problem and sounds like a new transfer case will probably be in order. Good news was that Mazda 800# (roadside assistance) didn't skip a beat in arranging a flat-bet tow on Saturday in the snow. Going in for the loaner car today. Can you confirm that it was only the front driver-side tire that was spinning and not both front tires? I din't look at the passenger side front tire to see whether or not it was spinning. However, if both front tires had some power, I think that the car would have been at least marginally driveable so I suspect that the psgr side front did not have power. I will keep you posted. Please do same.
  • CX9_DVDCX9_DVD Member Posts: 1
    The design of the TCS system in the CX-9 basically shuts down the acceleration and brakes the engine when TCS is engaged. What this means is that if you are driving in snow and you are going up the slightest incline the car will basically come to a halt. This is severe safety issue with the car and its due to the design of the TCS system. The CX-9 comes with a shut off switch but it automatically re-engages at 9MPH meaning that it doesnt help at all if you are moving up a slight incline. Other cars like Volvo let you shut if off completely when you want or a Honda Civic will let you continue to give it gas and it will continue adjusting the spinning of the wheels which will allow you to keep you momentum if you are going up an incline. I live in the NorthEast and we recently had a small snow storm and i could'nt drive the car, while rear wheel drive cars and pickups were passing me easily. I spoke to my dealer who told me he has heard of the problem but there is no fix in place and gave me the 800 cusotmer Mazda # which told me they could'nt assist me and to call back another dealer. There are two solutions i see, change the automatic engagement from 9MPH to something higher, maybe 40 MPH or allow the system to shut off completely during your drive. Has anyone else come across this? This is a FWD issue only from what i can tell. Any suggestions on what to do next?
  • cx9tedcx9ted Member Posts: 1
    My wife's 2007 CX-9 has been handling horribly in the snow. The AWD light turns on, flashes, stays on for a bit , then turns off while we drive. We are bringing it in to the dealer for service on Monday. Keep us up to date with the fix for your problem.
  • redgintonredginton Member Posts: 9
    I live in northern NY in the snow belt and average 120+ inches a year. I learned last winter that the AWD CX9 GT with the 20'' OEM all season tires was unacceptable in any snow condition. Worse than going was trying to stop. After sliding through a couple of intersections with 3"s of packed snow, I imediatly bought 18 Mazda RX8 rims with TPS off eBay and ordered a set of blizak snow tires from the Tire Rack. I hated to spend the $$ but the diference is amazing both going and stoping. All my cars have had snows for the winter and OEM all terains for the rest of the year. Having two sets of tire greatly improves the life of both tires, where as the snows are only mounted DEC through MAR when it is cold and wear is slow and the all terrains are not being worn out by constanlty spinning in the winter conditions trying to get traction. Some other poster summed it up in another thread last year; "If this car is driven in the snow, it is too expensive not to put snow tires on it for basic safety reasons". My FWD jetta is horrible in the snow with OEM tires but I put a set of four snows on it and it imediatly becomes a snow worthy car. The VW has an agressive TCS that can bring it to a halt if not disabled but is no issue with snows due to the gain traction. Sorry for the long winded post but B/L; Winter conditions = Buy 4 Snow tires you'll be amazed and much safer
    Here's the latest on my uncontrollable in the snow. They are installing a new transfer case as we speak. Never told me exactly what the problem was but I will be looking for some snow to test it out in.

Here's another question for anyone who has an opinion on this and/or has been following this thread: The tires. The dealer who is fixing the transfer case problem told me that they rotated the tires and when doing it they noted that the tires that they moved from the front to the rear would need replacing shortly. The car has only 20,000 miles (2007 CX-9 Grand Touring AWD). Since the car is an AWD, shouldn't all tires wear somewhat evenly? If the tires are worn down and they are disproportionately worn in the front, couldn't this have been beacause the AWD was not working properly?

JP
  • bdymentbdyment Member Posts: 573
    I don't think the front tire wear had anything to do with the AWD not working properly. Most of your front tire wear is due to steering and the fact there is a lot more weight on the front of the vehicle. Perhaps the front wheels were slightly out of alignment as well.
    JP,
    Just came back from Tahoe for a skiing trip. CX9 flew all the way up and down the mountains. What a great tourer even in hilly area! Granted, there was no snow on the ground for the few days I was there. Didn't get to test the AWD on snow. What impressed me most was that I could go up no-so-steep mountain at 6th gear!!! Even at the steepest one, 4-5th gear was good for it.

On the tires (tyres), they are rated at 260 (UTAQ).
    I would not expect too much life from it.
    I would say, based on my past experience, 25,000 could be normal for the 260 rating.

As I said, some early 2007 CX9s have transfer case issue. Some owners never get to find out at all. They thought it was normal. From what I read, possibly the dealership mechanics filled in the wrong fliud to the transfer case when they topped off all fluids before delivery. Not sure if that was true or not.
  • George335George335 Member Posts: 2
    I have just bought the 2009 CX9 grand touring and i hear a sound from the rear side like water or fluid as if it is the sound of the fuel in the tank when i very slowly go over steep bumps, have anyone experienced this? if someone can help in this issue i would really appreciate it.
    It is probably gasoline tank sludge.
    It usually happens when the tank is about 70-80% full.
    You can hear it when the music is low and you are moving slowing to a stop or over a bump.
    It happens to many vehicles I owned. Bad tank design, and no easy fix.
    This definitely can be heard, it is the sound of the fuel in your tank.... almost sounds like a half full plastic jug of water in your back seat. No fix that i have seen.
  • George335George335 Member Posts: 2
    Thank you K1200 and Ceric for the info, i am enjoying the car however the sound is frustrating, i think i will get used to it by time if there is no possible/feasible solution.
    Its was odd for me when I first heard it, I had just fueled up and I had about 3/4 full tank. I was backing into my driveway when I heard it. I had a half empty jug of washer fluid that I thought was the culprit. But once I removed the jug I still heard it.
    Took a little time to get used to.
    The solution is to turn the music volume up.....
    Just kidding. Gas tank can be better designed to cancel the sludging. This will be my daughter's next science project..... :)
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    It sounds more like sloshing than sludging to me. The original Honda Odysseys had a similar problem that most people just got used to as background noise. The gas tank in that van was pretty flat to accommodate the magic seats. Honda then put some baffles in the tank in later years to help deaden the noise.
    Yes, sloshing, not sludge. What was I thinking....?!
  • ricky25ricky25 Member Posts: 1
    I have the same problem with the new 2008 CX-9. It was drifting to the right, after 3 times to the dealer, now it is drifting to the left and the right. It's not a tire issue. It's not an alignment issue either. Any progress on yours?
  • gahogsgahogs Member Posts: 15
    I've experienced fairly significant (and audible) engine knock in our 2008 GT CX-9. It happens when going up a hill in the morning, as well as when trying to accelerate when in a lower gear.

This is a change in performance by our CX-9 as we did not notice this engine knock for the first few months we have owned the vehicle. Furthermore, we have two other vehicles that have no problems making up the hill with no engine knock -- both with over 100,000 miles on them. Last, we live in the South and our CX-9 is garage kept, so we have very little issue with the cold.

I dropped it off at my dealership yesterday, and I was told the same problem was reported by another 2008 CX-9 owner and that Mazda told the dealership to have all customers use premium gas. This is in conflict with information in the owner's manual.

Anyone else with similar problems? Our car has roughly 9000 miles on it and was purchased in June 2008.

Thanks to those that posted the TSB thread. I reviewed it, and it appears the engine knock has not been acknowledged. I did notice the recent loss of power TSB, which I found interesting.

Any and all help appreciated. I suspect we are not an isolated case. I will post an update once we get the CX-9 back from the service department of our dealership regarding the prognosis.
    Dealer called back.

I was told the knock we heard was brake booster connects rattling and there has been a release by Mazda on this particular problem. The repair was made. We will pick up the vehicle later today. Hopefully this fixes the problem.

Also, he apologized for the premium gas requirement comment. Evidently he is a new employee and not as familiar with the CX-9. He said a particular model on the CX-7 requires premium gas, and he confused the issue.
  • ewsncewsnc Member Posts: 14
    After testing several SUV's, CX-9 Touring and GT came out to be on the top. But the reported poor snow performance concerns me since I live in the northeast. Is this an issue related to tires or to the design / engineering of the vehicle? Doesn't anyone know if the 09 models have addressed this issue?
    It is the tires, I can assure you.
    The Mazda's Active Torque-split AWD is better than Highlander/Pilot. It senses torque sudden change and starts to transfer torque to the rear. In contrast, Highlander/Pilot sense torque loss then starts to send torque. In the case of Pilot, it can send torque to the rear in case of hard acceleration (and maybe new Highlander as well, I am not sure). Mazda has that also.
    It is called Power-take-off mode....

Bridgestone Dueler H/L 400 is good summer/wet tire, but not good at all on snow. Calling it all-season is a "crime", in my opinion.
    If you have concerns, have the dealer change out the tires
    I recommend
    Yoko Parada Spec-X
    Check tirerack.com for review.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rhbLTGOaDiM

My guess is that Bridgestone Dueler H/L 400 is not on that CX9.
    Put snow tires on CX9 if you live in places like that.
    Follow-up to ENGINE KNOCK (replying to my post on 17 Feb).

We did receive the vehicle back; however, the problem was not fixed. The engine knock is the same as always. The vehicle only has 9,000 miles on it.

As for the noise, it is not a rattling or clanging noise as one may suspect when first hearing the problem may be a brake booster connect. I was suspicious when they said it was a simple brake booster connect problem; however, I did want to give them an opportunity to correct the reported problem. The noise is distinctly engine knock coming from the cylinders (further supported by you only hearing it when accelerating). Again, the same dealership reported another CX-9 was turned in the previous week with the same complaint. I do not expect these would be isolated cases. Engine knock is not good news and can prematurely wear in engine.

We live in a fairly hilly terrain, and the car will exhibit the engine knock going up a hill (particularly when the engine is cold). It will also experience engine knock when you attempt to accelerate in too low of a gear (i.e. transmission is in "5" when it feels like it should be in "4" or even "3"). Again, we have two other vehicles, neither of which has any problem with engine knock regardless if the vehicle is cold or not. Ironically, both of these vehicles have over 100,000 miles on them each (one V6 automatic; the other a 4 cylinder automatic).

Anyone else notice a similar problem?

I will take it back to the dealership to be looked at again.
  • nxs138nxs138 Member Posts: 481
    We live in Pittsburgh and have had no issues driving in the snow with our 2008 GT. My wife is the main driver, and she feels confident driving it in snow, much more so than her previous car (which was FWD).

I find that the tires are okay, they are probably tuned for performance and thus you give up a bit of winter grip. But we haven't had any issues going up and down the myriad of hills that is Pittsburgh! The AWD system works just as well as the one I had in my Audi, and gets the car moving quickly. The stability control works well in preventing fishtailing in the snow. In comparison, my Mazdaspeed 3 slides all over the place, but this is mostly due to torque steer! The CX-9 is much more stable than the 3.....ah well.
    Have you tried filling up with premium gas, 92+ octane to see if the knock noise you hear is reduced? If it's truly knocking, then higher octane fuel should reduce/eliminate it. I'm not saying this is the solution, but it may help you pinpoint the problem more.
  • eroc2eroc2 Member Posts: 4
    Every time I ride on a rough road - there is a crackling noise coming from the drivers side passanger in the vicinity of the post where the air bag is located. Has anyone had this experience
  • jimsbimjimsbim Member Posts: 4
    I've experienced what I'll call a rattle from the passenger seat area, when there is no passenger in the seat. I found that the metel seat belt clip (the male clip on the belt) was vibrating -rattling against the side of the passenger seat. To further pin point if this was the source, I engaged the seat belt. The rattle stopped. I have not detected any other rattles from this area since, but I've only had the CX9 for a few weeks. I'm still listening and learning all of it's quirks. Another writer spoke of the sloshing sound of the gas in the fuel tank. I've also expericed this sound. For what it's worth, I find issues like these to be minor inconveniences. The CX9 is a fantastic SUV and great value for the features and performance it offers!
  • eroc2eroc2 Member Posts: 4
    Thanks I will try it
    Yes. I was the seat belt buckle in my case.
    I found that out a while back. Turn the buckle bit to be flat with the seat, and the rattle goes away.
    not_2_shabby:

Thanks for the reply.

I have only filled our CX-9 with 87 octane, which is what is recommended in the owner's manual. Using higher grade octane is a last resort; however, I see your point in using a single tank of 92+ to see if the engine knock is reduced/eliminated to help diagnose the problem.
  • bonan2bonan2 Member Posts: 3
    gahogs,

I am also experiencing similar symptoms as you describe as engine knock on my 2008 GT CX-9, 10k miles. The knock occurs during acceleration and is particularly noticable when accelerating uphill. This occurs both when the engine is cold and warmed-up so I can't say it is engine temp related. Also, we didn't notice the engine knock when the car had less than 3k miles. This is a recent problem that seems as if it is becoming more noticable. Anyways, I'm going to schedule service and get Mazda's opinion. Any advice? Has your problem been resolved by Mazda since your last post?
  • jeebert2jeebert2 Member Posts: 5
    I have 17K on my 2008 CX-9 and for the last few thousand miles I hear the engine noise. It is subtle and I have to have the radio off and no other car noise nearby. It sounds like and engine tick or rattle when under load, mostly in the first couple of gears and between about 1500 rpm and 2300 rpm.

I took it to the dealer on Tues. They didn't hear it at first. I had to have a tech ride with me. He heard it. About an hour later they kept it and gave me a loaner CX-9. They say they need to open the engine up and want to call Mazda. They suspect that the timing chain might be off, or something with the timing chain guide.

I'll let you know what they say when I get it back.
  • roperrroperr Member Posts: 2
    I have the same problem with my 2008 CX9. Only 8k on the clock, and the noise has been happening since day 1. No difference whether the engine is cold or hot, but mainly changing from 3rd to 4th gear. It has been back twice, with no success in fixing it, and it seems to be getting worse. At first they tried to tell me that it was because I had lots of stones in my tyres (PLEASE!!), now they think it is is because I have been using low grade fuel. I have used primarily unleaded, which according to the sales guy, the brochure, the website and the inside of the fuel cap, is meant to be OK. Anyway I have tried premium fuel for nearly 3 weeks and it hasn't made a difference. In fact at times it has been worse. I would love to know if anyone else has a solution because it is driving me crazy!!!
  • rudiorudio Member Posts: 2
    I have had the same problem with the fan on my 2007 CX9. I have also had the radio not turn on when I start the car. I have to stop the car, turn the car off and then turn it back on. The radio usually turns on again. The last time it happened I tried turning the car off but the radio would still not go on. Any one else had this issue? Could this all be related to an electrical issue?
  • bonan2bonan2 Member Posts: 3
    jeebert2, did you get your CX-9 back from Mazda? Did they figure out the source of the engine noise? I'm going for service tomorrow.
  • roperrroperr Member Posts: 2
    Hi, no it hasn't been in yet, they are now waiting for the Mazda engineer to come in from interstate to look at it. Someone has suggested faulty fuel pump in the mean time?? Hopefully it will be booked in sometime next week. Let us know how you go with yours
  • jeebert2jeebert2 Member Posts: 5
    I just got it back today. They had to order the part. It turned out to be a bad VVT lift actuator. They had to crack open the engine and fix it. They had it 10 days, but gave me another almost identical CX-9 to drive for free. They treated me well. I saw the work order they had to submit to Mazda for the warranty work. It was just over $2K - mostly labor. I picked it up at lunch and drove it back to work and it sounds great now. It appears to be fine.

They did say they had a couple of others with the same issue. If you have that issue, get it in and have it looked at. The place I took it was Kings Mazda in Mason, OH, if you want to have your dealer call them.

Here is the list of parts they replaced:
    Qty PART # Description
    === ========== ==========================
    1 ZZJ1-12-4X0B ACTR, VARIABLE V. TIM
    1 CY01-12-428A BOLT, LOCK
    1 CY01-14-700 COOLER, OIL
    2 CY01-14-312 RING, 'O'
    1 ZZJ1-12-500A ADJUSTER
    1 8527-77-739 SILICONE, TUBE ( GRA

John
    Good to know. Thanks for sharing.
    It seems like the VVT actuator. The rest are just accessories to replace the actuator.