Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Honda CR-V Noises and Sounds

124»

Comments

• laxmikanthlaxmikanth Member Posts: 1
    My 2007 Honda CR-V makes road boom sound while driving in the highways and also the pressure varies which I can feel in my ears. What can be done to minimize this.

Thanks,
    Laxmikanth
  • vette60vette60 Member Posts: 2
    My new CR-V EX-L AWD has the exact same whine that you describe - 55-60 mph on slight deceleration (coast side of gear). Same symptoms as yours. Honda dealer says "characteristic of model" and will do nothing about it. Wondering how you are making out with Honda? Mine was purchased in Late July, 2013 in Minnesota - how about you?
  • ljvaljva Member Posts: 5
    I have not went to the dealer yet. Someone mentioned to check the trans fluid level. I checked mine that is above the low marker. I am considering to write a letter to Honda directly since the dealer most likely will say that it is normal for cr-v.
  • vette60vette60 Member Posts: 2
    My trans fluid is normal also. That's not the problem. My dealer had recently replaced a trans in another new CRV for the same noise problem. Honda covered it under warranty.. Not so on mine. Technician said the replacement trans had the same noise. Mine was louder he said, but Honda has decided it is "normal". Interesting also is that when dealer drove another brand new CRV from their lot, it had the same noise, which in my opinion is far from normal. These cars were all sold this July - I wonder if they have a production run of transmissions they are just now experiencing noise problems with since they have used this trans. for a while now. Good luck with Honda. Keep me posted.
  • mld3mld3 Member Posts: 1
    ours has this same noise at same speeds. The dealer had it two days and came up with no solutions. Only 7,000 miles on it. Any solutions?
  • jmathews19jmathews19 Member Posts: 1
    I have 1100 miles on my 2013 CRV EX AWD that I picked up in the first week of August. I have the very same noise at 50-60. Only seems when you take the load off the drivetrain. (letting up on the gas pedal just enough, but not enough to coast) I have not been to the dealer as of yet.
  • arthlearthle Member Posts: 1
    I have the same noise and dealer keeps saying its normal, I drove other CRV's and the noise is not there, I have opened a case with American Honda (rudest folks work there its seems) they called from blocked number and refuse to call with number being displayed.
    I will an attempt to see dealer again if no action M ready to file a lemon law.
    I will post the sounds on Utube and post again the exact noise...
  • nianownianow Member Posts: 1
    My new 2013 CRV is making the same whine between 40 and 60 mph when I let off the accelerator just a bit. It comes from the passenger side into the cab. It is driving me crazy. Yes, the dealer says it is "characteristic of "this" transmission. I am going to continue to pursue this. My car was assembled in Ohio.
  • dandrwdandrw Member Posts: 10
    It seems like it's only the AWD models which have this problem. If you live in a non-mountainous part of the country and most if not all your driving is on level surface, the 2WD model is all you need. I have a friend in the Houston Tx area who was considering a AWD model CR-V. I managed to convince him he would be much happier and have much fewer problems with a 2WD model.
  • vegasjohnnyvegasjohnny Member Posts: 3
    I have the 2013 CR-V EX AWD bought August 24th 2013 after 500 miles, noticed the same noise described here. Noted the whiling between 40 - 65 MPH regardless if pressing on excellerator or fully releasing it. Now at 1,100 miles. After traveling from Vegas to L.A. and back over those 8K foot mountains, and still hearing that same whining between 40 - 65 MPH, decided to bring it back to the dealer - I'll let you know what happens. Thanks for starting this thread, good to know Honda did replace at least one trans for someone on this tread.
    The Honda tech drove with us for a test drive to hear the whining noise. He heard it and had no solutions. The service manager as kind as he was, said Honda is aware of this complaint, but, currently does not have a fix for it. He checked with the area service rep. and learned I'm the first one in Las Vegas to complain of the CR-V AWD whining noise between 40-65 MPH. They logged my complaint so if Honda comes up with a solution, they'll let me know. How long will this take? Your guess is as good as mine. I expressed my deepest disappointment to the service manager. What other actions can one take? Demand a new CR-V? The noise did not exist prior to the first 500 miles on the vehicle. Therefore it is a problem or at the very least indicative of a problem. local Honda dealer says there's no fix. I'm open to suggestions for another reasonable course of action...???
  • aharryaharry Member Posts: 1
    Its the emergency brakes tell dealer to replace it, I went thru it for over few months finally narrowed to ebarke
  • baldy95307baldy95307 Member Posts: 9
    Its been a few months, but here are my updates concerning the "croaking" sound while driving between 0-5 mph. The sound comes from the rear differential area. For several months, American Honda said they were aware of the issue, and the engineers were working on a solution. After hearing nothing for over 6 months, I took the vehicle back into the dealership and said that something needs to be done because the sound seemed to be getting louder and occurring much more often. They contacted American Honda and surprise, there supposed was a fix for this now. It involves replacing a pump on the rear diff. This is an external pump and does not require any tear downs.

After the pump was changed, the sound was still there. However, it is much more quieter...almost to the point of not hearing it at all if you weren't aware of the problem. But, that's the way the whole problem started out. Being afraid that the problem would only get worse, they advised American Honda that the fix failed.

American Honda was surprised and stumped. I got the impression that the fix supposedly worked on other complaints. Maybe those people just haven't heard that the noise is still there and may only get louder. In the end, American Honda decided that they want my entire differential for research reasons to determine exactly what is going on. I am scheduled to get the entire rear diff replaced next week with a brand new one pulled from new car assembly inventory and shipped to the dealership.

We'll see how this goes.
    To me the whining noise sounds like a belt rubbing against something. The faster the speed of the CRV the higher pitch, as the vehicle slows the pitch gets lower. If it's the emergency break, what is rubbing against what? How did you determine it is the e-break? I really appreciate the details how you determined the source of the noise. In other words, what is rubbing against what part of the e-break? Thanks!
  • hopesnichehopesniche Member Posts: 5
    Re: whining hollow sound from transmission at speeds between 45-65. I discovered the sound around 500 miles. The number of complaints is building. We need "dealer" support to press the Honda and there regional Reps that call on the dealers. Also, the service manager is just the messenger of bad news to those of us who are taking the brunt of Honda's bad transmission. Stop messing with the service manager, go to the General Mgr and/owner of the dealership. Many review sites exist for for rating the Dealership. The dealership is our link to Honda. Are we suppose to just hope this sound does not get louder and have an adverse affect on our ability to resale our automobiles "if we can". We could be stuck with these lemons for as long as we own the car. And, also be stuck with noise. I do believe me noise is increasing and any even at speeds outside of 45-65. Ask you dealer this "will they take the car in on a trade and then resell it AS IS ?? HA. I am going on every possible website I can to complaint and bring attention to this really bad situation. Honda should just replace the transmission and be done with it ! ! Where was your Honda assembled BTW (it is on your original sticker)? I live in Longmont Colorado and the car came from Ohio.
  • lc1974lc1974 Member Posts: 5
    Anyone else experiencing a clicking noise when they turn their steering wheel from side to side?
    This just started happening on my 2013 the other night. The noise is coming from the steering column, not the tires or outside of the car.

It seems to be louder the longer I've been driving. Barely even there when I first start my car. I mostly drive short trips.

This is not my video, but this is what's happening:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tCr-fisW_vs
    Here's probably the final update on this "croaking" noise that occurs at very low speeds coming from the rear diff. American Honda tried replacing a pump on the rear diff, an action that they had determined was the cause of the noise, something to do with the pump and solenoids being actuated. While this repair almost eliminated the noise completely, it was still present and with the thoughts that it would only get louder, American Honda decided to replace the complete rear diff in my car and they wanted mine back at their engineering research center for analysis.

The good news is that I am now "croak" free. Yes, a complete replacement of the rear diff was necessary. Replacing just the pump was probably something related or part of the problem but not all of the problem. All's well that ends well.

Just so others know...this was on a 2012 CRV probably built during the parts shortage caused by the tsunami in Japan. Only Honda of Japan knows what 3rd party suppliers they allowed to provide parts for their vehicles during this difficult manufacturing time. Whatever it was, it involves only a very small percentage of cars. Maybe it was an assembly issue; maybe it was a manufacturing issue. The sad part is that we'll never know. Honda has stepped up to the plate and taken care of the issue. I would not be afraid to buy another Honda.
    The noise between 40 and 65 mph and frustration with my Honda dealer prompted me to get second opinions from 3 independent shops. All 3 shops were kind enough to do a thorough test drive. All 3 stated verified the sound and said it was a ring and pinion noise from the transaxle on deceleration or possibly the overdrive/final gear is mis-aligned. The whining noise is most prevalent to the driver, which makes sense, as the transaxle part of the transmission is located in the front part of the engine/driver side. Whatever the case, it is not normal. I was strongly advised to contact Honda customer service to register a complaint. Honda must surely be aware of the issue but it must not be affecting a large number of 2013 CRV's or the problem is being "under reported". My vehicle was assembled in Ohio. I will call Honda customer service and then follow-up with a certified letter.
    You are not alone. My 2013 CRV has the same problem. I got sick and tired of getting a snow job from my dealer. I took it to 3 independent repair shops and they all said the same thing. Noise is coming from the transaxle part of the transmission in "final drive" caused by ring and pinion or possibly overdrive/final gear is misaligned. See my full post to VegasJohnny. I am promptly registering a complaint with Honda customer service and sending a certified letter.
  • martie13martie13 Member Posts: 1
    I am also having the same problem with my CRV 2013. I hear the same croaking sound when coming to a stop or moving from it in a low speed. To top this, I also hear grating sound in my steering wheel when i pull from a parking lot. I asked the dealer about the croaking sound and they said, it is normal. I haven't had the chance to deal with the grating sound yet. Having read all these posts i might push to have my car checked further.
    The first thing that I would recommend you to do is to RUN as fast as you can away from your dealer who tells you that the "croaking" sound is normal. This dealer is not doing you any service at all with that attitude. Imagine what is being done when they service your vehicle.

I want you to think about the future...when you go to sell or trade in the vehicle. At that point your prospective buyer is going to test drive your car and say "What is that sound?!". Whatever price you were expecting just got reduced by several thousand dollars. So think again if you think the "croaking" sound is normal.

You need to find a dealership with a service advisor and service manager who will advocate your complaint onto American Honda. Keep complaining until something gets done. Remember...the squeaky wheel gets the grease.
  • lc1974lc1974 Member Posts: 5
    I posted earlier on this thread but have really been paying attention to my car and the noises.
    Here is the list of what I'm noticing. I'm wondering if anyone can tell me how common these are.

2013 CRV AWD 3,800 miles
    - Steering wheel clicks when turned side to side. Seems louder the longer my car has been running that day although this morning it was loud right from the get-go.
    - When I back up and then brake the car croaks/groans (rear area). It does not do this when I brake while driving.
    - When I back up there is a clunk noise from the front axle area (this just started last week)

Anyone know the cause of these noises and if they indicate trouble?
  • runninlow3runninlow3 Member Posts: 7
    Hi everyone
    So, I've had my '12 CR-V for only 10 months so far and began experiencing a rattle/rubbing noise in the cargo area. It only occurs when hitting certain bumps while driving. I don't keep much in my cargo area and anything I do keep is in a cargo net. In order to help diagnose this noise/rattle...I removed anything I had in the cargo area, including the retractable cover...the rattle still occurs.

I opened the liftgate and turned the two rubber stoppers further out to prevent any play when it's closed...that didn't help. I'm beginning to wonder if it's in the actual liftgate causing this noise...but I'm still open to anything.

I have tried riding in the back while my wife drove...I pushed & held panels, etc., trying to eliminate the noise...not much luck. Just when I thought I found the problem to be the weatherstrip around the lift gate area, I sprayed it with some Trim Shine (being it was the closest thing I had to a silicone spray). I drove it once I applied it, it got quieter but the next day was back to the way it was.

My other thoughts are possibly something loose above the headliner or suspension.

I took it the dealership but they found nothing.

Has anyone else experienced a similar noise in the cargo area...and if so, any solutions?
  • mac134mac134 Member Posts: 9
    Check that your spare tire isn't loose.
    I already checked that and it's not the problem...wish it was that easy!

And now within the last few days, the passenger seat area has developed a noise...sounds as if it's coming from underneath. I heard a couple people who spoke about a passenger side airbag sensor located underneath the seat that can come loose. So I'm hoping that's the problem and easy enough to fix.

As for the cargo area noise...wish I knew what it was. I had removed the rear quarter interior panels and checked for anything loose behind them...nothing. I'm thinking that i should've taken the upper panels off and dropped the headliner to see if it's coming from above.

I would also like to remove the liftgate interior panels and check inside there.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    While you are ruling out "easy" stuff, you may as well check the exhaust hangers, even though it sounds like the noise is in the cargo area.
    Ok, I'll check that this weekend. Thanks
    I'm guessing it'll look obvious if the exhaust hangers are not on properly, right?
    You could be missing a rubber "donut" entirely down there. I'm not much of a mechanic, but you can crawl under and grab the cold tailpipe - it shouldn't move around much.
    I went outside before and gave the exhaust a shake...it was rather solid feel, not loose at all. I laid on my back as I shook it and look around...didn't see anything loose.
    edited November 2013
    Another "easy" one ruled out.

That just leaves the harder ones, like a turtle in the hatch. ;)

There have been a couple of posts over the years where people swore a noise was in the rear, when something in the engine area was really the issue and the noise was somehow getting transmitted to the rear. Or vice versa.

Stuff like this will drive you crazy....
    Yes, I guess the harder ones are the only ones left!

That's interesting about a rear noise actually coming from the front...will have to research that next.

So, my wife, mother-in-law and myself took a long drive this past weekend...I chose to sit in the rear seats while my wife drove, so that i can try again to find/diagnose the noise. For the hour I was back there, I hardly ever heard it. On the way back, we switched and I sat in the front while my wife drove again. At best i think I heard it once but it was faint. Yesterday, my wife and I drove home and I drove the vehicle...I then heard it again frequently.

The best way I think I can describe the sound is as if there was bags in the cargo area and when I drove over certain bumps, you'd hear a rustling/rubbing type of sound. However, there's nothing in the cargo area...I kept it empty!

If it helps with anything...I have an EX-L w/navigation.
    Okay, put a couple of hundred pounds of sand bags in the back. Maybe that'll compress the suspension and make the noise go away. Problem solved, except for the gas mileage hit. :)

Try posting in Edmunds Answers - there's a few techs hanging out in there who should have some better suggestions. Same member name and password as the forums if it asks you to log in.
    Haha...good idea!

So, do you think this is a typical characteristic of the suspension?
    No idea and I'm no mechanic. Really hoping that someone notices the activity and pops in with some better suggestions.
  • mac134mac134 Member Posts: 9
    Does it do it when it rains and the roads are wet? I have owned cars with suspension noise that would quiet down on a good rainy day. The rubber bushings in the suspension may have got contaminated with oil.
    It happens regardless of dry or wet road conditions.
  • island7island7 Member Posts: 1
    My 2012 CRV is doing the whining thing. I compare it to 60-70 model cars that had carrier bearings that were going out. The sound began at 3k and the dealer said it was a common noise, twice I have brought it to the attention of the service manager. At 55 I can power up and down slightly making the sound fluctuate in its tone. It is getting louder by the day. Also, when I first leave my house upon shifting from 2nd-3rd there is a shudder that service said was attributed to the ECON system. After warm up there is no more. Any ideas of how to get Honda to address these issues.
  • giacatgiacat Member Posts: 1
    edited December 2013
    I am having this problem too at under 5,000 miles. I threw a hissy fit in the dealership service dept when they said it's normal in this model. It's driving me crazy and finally they sent a technician in too talk me down. He finally agreed a brand new car should not do this after I asked to drive a car from their lot to see if it's so normal. In the end he said it's the creep senser in the differential (I think). That was 2 weeks ago and I'm still waiting for the part to come in. I insisted on getting it changed out but I've been getting the runaround for 2 weeks now about how hard it is to get the part! Perhaps if enough of us complain, they will have to do a recall on this part. Where would we complain to make our voices heard? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UFl2Wzr1lDo
  • cmirissaocmirissao Member Posts: 1
    Check the rear brake shoe pads. Only happens when brake.
    My 2013 CRV has whine 45-60 mph. I have been told "even by the dealer GenMgr" that it is the Final gear of the transmission. Apparently, the gears have too much "play" or what's referred to as "backlash". It started ato around 300 miles. I now have 3800 miles and getting no help from the dealer. The sound is like clockwork and now getting worse. It always happens when you are not fully accelerating anywhere between 45 and 64. The ser mgr brought the area Honda DPSM (district parts/service mgr) to "talk" to me about it. Appalling man who told me 5 min after I met him "I am not going to give you a transmission because you don't like a sound". I have been told by the dealer that I must deal direct with Honda in order to exercise Warranty coverage. I took my car to 3 other independent shops. They all said the same thing; transmission whine from final drive and all said "return to the dealer" for repairs. The dealer said "Honda does not care about outside opinions and Honda will "decide" if it is a problem or not. Unbelievable. So, now I start my jouney with Honda 800 customer service. I urge you to not wait too long. Contact Honda direct. If I do not get action from Honda, I am fully prepared to go to court. I am making payments on a brand new car that is "defective". Good luck. CALL HONDA
  • oei_hansoei_hans Member Posts: 6
    I had the same experience. Honda will send you back to dealer again. They just make you like a Ping pong ball. Find lawyer specializing in dealing with dealership and let them take care the problem before too late.
    Thanks for the advice Oei. I am prepared for litigation.
  • carcraz3carcraz3 Member Posts: 1

My brother-in-law just bought my sister a used 2012 CR-V with 14,000 miles and the first day she drove it she heard an awful noise. They thought it was the brakes. Now they have a loaner car and she has spoken to several service managers at both the Acura & Honda dealership. She was told various stories, one of which the 2012 model makes that noise but there hasn't been a recall yet. Also, she has contacted Honda Corporate office and she is waiting for a call back. I test drove the 2013 & 2014 CR-V when looking for a car and my husband and I thought it had too much road noise, also my husband is over 6 feet and he did not have enough room on the passenger side. I am so glad we chose not to get it. Unfortunately for Honda, since they do make a great Accord & Cross tour.

• ohjoeohjoe Member Posts: 4

Right from purchase our 2013 AWD had a vibration and a noise. It turned out to be the propeller shaft, and we had it replaced under warranty. Our Bridgestone tires are somewhat noisy, as is the transmission. I drove some others equipped the same, ad they had the same tire and transmission whines.

• ihtusihtus Member Posts: 1
    Hello,
    Now in Toronto is still very cold.
    Started to have clanking noise somewhere from the center of the car, from the bottom.

Went underneath and saw built on ice/snow right above the shaft.
    The friction between shaft and ice/snow was causing that noise.
    Removed -> NO noise!

Here are some pictures:

ice.jpg 467.5K
  • thecardoc3thecardoc3 Member Posts: 5,741
    See Honda TSB for the rear differential pump having too much clearance. Dated Aug 2nd 2014 Ref #14-047
  • janetxarajanetxara Member Posts: 1
    My 2006 Honda CR-V has been running just fine, no problems at all. But a few days ago when I was driving on a freeway, a very loud alarm sounded six or seven times. It was very alarming! It's been running fine ever since, gone at least a couple of hundred miles longer. Does anyone know what this is about? It seems like the kind of problem that only the dealership could troubleshoot, and I hate to spend that kind of money if it's not necessary.
  • pattyann2pattyann2 Member Posts: 1
    lzc said:

It's a common problem with SUVs. The rushing air has no where to go. Old VW beetles used to have the problem too with their front windows down. They solved the problem with rear windows that popped out an inch or two.

I have a 2013 CRV same noise with windows down in rear,,Its so annoying,,Especially after paying $32,000.00 CASH..
  • lee15457lee15457 Member Posts: 1
    24on48off said:

Finally had some sun the other day and drove the car with the rear windows down to let the dog get some freash air, the nosie was unbearable!
    With both rear windows down beginning at 40 mph it sounded as though I was in a hurracaine, as soon as I opened a front window the noise went away. I began experiementing with different combinations of circulating air (i.e. sun roof open, front only, front and rear) and found that having both rear windows down only while driving on the open road is deafining.
    Has anyone else experienced this? :confuse:

I have a five door Honda crv EXL All wheel drive and Three five door Jeep Libertys and they all did it.Its a Reverb sound from the wind.The faster you go to loader its.With the sun roof open and only the front windows down it doesn't do it.