Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota 4Runner

Comments

• bconroybconroy Member Posts: 7
    Had my first opportunity to try my new 2005 V8 on ice and snow. When braking hard, did not have the usual pulsation of ABS, but the truck stayed in a relatively straight line. Not really sure if the ABS was working or not. Is the ABS system on this truck different than systems where you feel the pulsation when ABS is activated?
  • nedzelnedzel Member Posts: 787
    from the brakes when the ABS engages on my 2003 4Runner. But the ABS is working.

I just got new snow tires last week. Went to play in the snow this AM -- I live near Boston. Much more traction than the lame all seasons...
  • kheintz1kheintz1 Member Posts: 213
    Have they considered something like the Throttle Position Sensor? http://autorepair.about.com/cs/fuelinjection/a/aa030301a_2.htm
  • sjohnson2sjohnson2 Member Posts: 4
    If it was the TPS why will it rev up when sitting still??
  • dadoftaydadoftay Member Posts: 136
    Have you tried the oxygen sensor? Remeber, there are more than one on your truck. The o2 sensor reads different under a load, almost like a wet distributor cap. Try that, or make sure you're not making an arc from a loose or broken spark plug wire.
  • newswordsnewswords Member Posts: 12
    I'm the person that posted about the rav info and fixing the windshield noise. It seems to be caused by contact between the windscreen glass and the cowling - the rav owner fixed it by having techs install clear slippery tape over the glass where the cowling contacts it. I've been using WD-40 which has totally eliminated the noise on the left (where it first started), but has only been partially successful on the passenger side. It goes away pretty quickly now, especially when I blow the defroster on it. Renewing the silicon spray seems to help, but hasn't entirely eliminated it.

I drive on a couple of miles of dirt road, heavily rutted and pot-holed - so it's very noticeable to me until the interior warms up and the materials expand.

The noise I'm talking about definitely comes from the dash/windshield area. Not the door.

Let me know if you find a better solution.
  • sjohnson2sjohnson2 Member Posts: 4
    Wouldnt the o2 sensors show up on diagnostics??

Appreciate the reply!

s. johnson
  • bconroybconroy Member Posts: 7
    Thanks for the reply. With your experience, I feel better about this lack of pulsating sensation. We have had a lot of snow here in Southern Ontario and with the new blizzaks it feels great. I have owned various vehicles for 48 years and this is my first Toyota product. This new V8 with a 5 spd is so smooooth. Great vehicle. Thanks again for sharing your ABS experience.
  • pfownerpfowner Member Posts: 3
    Thank you very much for the reply.

By the way, I have the vibration/buzz in the brake pedal problem too. I wonder if I should try to get that fixed or just live with it since it doesn't bother me that much.
  • canddmeyercanddmeyer Member Posts: 410
    Unless Toyota is willing to experiment by swapping various parts, you're screwed. I also deal with electronics, & various sensors & plug-ins can fail without failing a diagnostic. I'm surprised at this point they haven't tried swapping various sensors, computers, or even cleaning the fuel injectors and replacing the fuel lines. No doubt it's going to be expensive, but that should be their problem, not yours. Try another dealer as some are better than others.
  • black_tulipblack_tulip Member Posts: 435
    Wait til you're stuck and find out you cannot engage 4WD cuz you can't get the vehicle to move to engage it. Oh, what a feeling!

Why wait till you are stuck to enagage 4WD? Wouldn't it be a better idea to engage 4WD before the trip if there is even a remote possibility of getting stuck? I would think the slight penalty in gas mileage would be well worth it.
    You can't always control your circumstances.

After days of rain here in California, if you need to pull off the highway onto the dirt shoulder, you may find yourself up to your hubs in mud. Too late then. This is the slowest engaging 4WD vehicle I've ever owned. The colder the weather, the longer the hookup to 4WD takes. I've had to back up as it takes up to a 1/4 mile to engage. This is ridiculuous.

Needless to say, I keep it in fulltime 4WD now.
    One more thing, escalate it yourself to Toyota. Your dealer might just be watching the dust gather on your vehicle. I feel for ya, cuz this could be any of us, and I'd love to know the outcome. It costs your dealer $$$ to work on the vehicle and not fix it. It costs nothing to pay you lip service. I'd escalate as a month at the dealer is ridiculous.
  • kcom2006kcom2006 Member Posts: 2
    To help everyone out, I purchased this vehicle for

$600 over invoice.

2005 4Runner Sport 4WD V8 Dealer Invoice is

$27,971.00

Remaing #'s are Dealer Invoice Costs

JBL CD/FM & 10 speakers -$476.00

Daytime running lights - $32

Double Deck Cargo - $100

Sunroof - $720

Rear Spoiler - $160

Valor Exhaust Tip - $42

Door Sill Enhancements ACSCO - $109

Preferred Accessory Package - $220

Destination Charge - $565

TDA - $609

Gasoline - $6

Dealer Hold Back - $324

TOTAL - $31,983.00

Hope this help you buy 2005 4Runner. I have a

copy of the invoice if you want to see it just email

me.

I also recommend reading http://www.fool.com/

car/car.htm !!! Especially the FAX war for obtain

Qutoes... helps!
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    I did a variation of the Blast Fax Car Buying technique when I got my van back in late 1998. Dealers are much more used to email nowadays, although a hard copy of a quote still sways a lot of them.

Congrats on the new 4Runner (and thanks for posting in Toyota 4Runner: Prices Paid & Buying Experience too).

Steve, Host
  • 2toyotas2toyotas Member Posts: 104
    If you engage 4WD while stopped after you engage it put the transmission in neutral and then back to either drive or reverse and it usually will engage instantly. Try it.
    This really kills shift-on-the-fly. Pretty soon I'll be locking hubs again!

It will engage per your recommendation in warm weather most of the time. But in cold weather, if the vehicle isn't moving it will not engage. This reminds me of my '91 Chevy with a similar issue. Some kind of solenoid had to heat up b4 the 4WD would lock in. Warn came out with a solenoid that worked instantly. Anyway, it still takes longer to engage 4WD than any other vehicle I've owned, so I just keep it in fulltime 4WD.
  • rvalc43594rvalc43594 Member Posts: 31
    kcom2006 you got a 2005 v8 sport edition with all does option for $31,983.00. what dealership did you go to? Yeah I'll like to see that invoice. The dealership on the northeast prices are nowhere near that price.
    To anyone who is interested, removing the running boards gives only a slight improvement to handling in crosswind. The vehicle still gets tossed around plenty.
    I recently purchased *Anco* winter blades for my '03 4Runner Limited, and they work exceptionally well-- absolutely no ice build-up so far (here in Ohio), unlike Toyota's stock blades, which are miserable in winter. These Anco winter blades also look good, in my opinion. Unfortunately, Anco does not yet offer a winter blade for the rear window wiper.

Today my dealer completed my vehicle's scheduled 30,000 mile servicing. The total cost was $400.00 after redeeming a '10% off' coupon. Not a bad price for all of the work that was done, and my Toyota Platinum Extended Warranty entitled me to a free loaner vehicle.
  • sam20sam20 Member Posts: 8
    hi

i sent a message yesterday but it is not shown today?

my message was that i wanted to find out if any of the readers have experienced using the tornado/cyclonefuesaver.the suppliers claim that the apparatus will increase the fuel economy up to 28%and the power by up to 13%.the testimonials suggest the same.has anyone used this apparatus on a 2003 or newer 4runner in either the v6 or 8
    This one?

sam20, "Ask the Forums Hosts" #3135, 31 Jan 2005 12:47 am

Welcome to Edmunds; it takes a little while to figure out the various ways to navigate around the boards.

Steve, Host
  • rjordanrjordan Member Posts: 30
    Sam,

I believe "Consumer Reports" tested this gadget and gave it a negative rating. I'll check to see if I can find it in my back issues and will get back to you if I do. Bob.
    Sam,

Could not find it. I saw an article about it in some magazine. However, check out the "Acessories & Aftermarket section. You will find four pages of opinions on these fuel saving gadgets. The Tornado is mentioned quite a few times and has received negative comments. Bob.
  • lynx50lynx50 Member Posts: 7
    I will be picking up my new 4Runner Limited V8 within the next week. I have several questions regarding breaking in the V8:

1. Per the owner's manual What is the breakin interval (number of miles)

2. What are Toyota recommendations regarding maximum speed, driving patterns etc during the breakin period

3. Number of miles before the first oil change

Thanks
    Lynx,

Here is the break in recommendations for a 4 Runner V6 which should be simular to your V8.

BREAK IN PERIOD: Drive gently and avoid high speeds. The vehicle does not need an elaborate break-in. But following a few simple tips for the first 1000 miles can add to the future economy and long life of your vehicle. Avoid full throttle acceleration when starting and driving. Avoid racing the engine. try to avoid hard stops during the first 200 miles. Do not drive for a long time at any single speed, either fast or slow. Do not tow a trailer during the first 500 miles.

Toyota recommends at 5000 miles or six months to change the oil. This is subject to interpretation depending on how you drive and where. I personally would not take it off road until after the break-in period.
  • sam20sam20 Member Posts: 8
    to bob

thank you for the response .i don't understand where to look for acessories and after market.please let me know

regards sam
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    There's not much there yet but you may want to join in the Gas Saving Gizmos & Gadgets discussion in Aftermarket & Accessories

tidester, host
    Some additional tips:

(1) During cold start-ups, allow the engine to idle for a couple of minutes before driving;

(2) Change the oil for the first time at ~1000-1500 miles, then do the next oil change at 5000 miles, and every 5000 miles thereafter;

(3) At every 5000 mile servicing, rotate the tires; make sure the propeller shaft, U-joints, slip-yokes are lubricated with lithium grease; add ~24 oz. of *Chevron Techron Concentrate* to a tank of fresh fuel (add the Techron, then fill the tank), in order to clean the fuel system, injectors, etc.

(4) If you plan to keep your 4Runner for many years, consider using a full synthetic 5W-30 motor oil. I've been very happy with Quaker State Full Synthetic oil for my '03, V8, AWD 4Runner Limited. If you decide to use synthetic oil, it can safely be used from the outset. On the other hand, never let a dealer talk you into any engine oil or transmission fluid ADDITIVES claimed to increase engine life, lower engine friction, etc. Pick a brand of oil, and stick with it, rather than jumping from brand to brand. If you opt for a high quality full synthetic oil, ask your dealer if they carry one. If they don't, make sure the synthetic oil you choose is readily available in your neck of the woods. (For example, Autozone carries Quaker State Full Synthetic 5W-30 here in central Ohio.) Buy the oil by the case, take it to your dealer at each oil change, make sure they know you want them to use it, and also make sure they return the empty bottles to you. Finally, I would suggest using Toyota oil filters.

(5) If you don't already own a high quality tire pressure guage, buy one and check your (cold) tire pressure frequently.

(6) If you want to keep your new 4Runner's exterior (and interior) finish looking its best, with excellent finish protection, consider using Zaino products. http://www.zainostore.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc Zaino's Clay Bars are highly effective, and although "claying" the finish involves extra time and work, the results are well worth it.

Most new vehicles in the U.S. are transported by freight trains at some point, and embedded rail "brake dust" will become embedded in the finish of vehicles. In addition, automotive and truck brakes (including that from our own vehicles) are another ongoing source of brake dust, which WILL become embedded in the finish.

Clay bars are the only safe and effective way to easily and reliably remove these embedded particles of iron and rust. My 4Runner is white, and trust me, these iron particles are very common yet almost impossible to remove without a clay bar. Even if your vehicle's color tends to hide these particles, they're probably there, but they can be detected by running a piece of nylon stocking material or Saran Wrap over the (clean) finish of the vehicle--you will feel and hear it snag as it passes over these iron spicules and other embedded junk in the clearcoat. When you clay the vehicle, you will also see (to your utter amazement) specks of orange material accumulating in the clay, and what you're seeing here is brake and rail dust which the clay is easily plucking from the clearcoat. Imagine what these embedded iron particles could do to your finish if you never periodically remove them. Get thee some Zaino products, and prepare to be amazed.

(7) Husky brand plastic, fitted floor and cargo liners aren't cheap; in fact they're overpriced, but you'll eventually forget about the cost, and they're an excellent way to protect your vehicle's floors and carpet from snow, mud, sand, salt, slush, grease, etc. In addition, they clean-up very easily. Applying ScotchGard to all fabric surfaces is another wise idea if you want to keep your vehicle's interior looking good, especially if you have kids and/or pets.
    During cold start-ups, allow the engine to idle for a couple of minutes before driving

I just get in and go (albeit gently at first). Some say let it idle for 30 seconds (link), but I don't even bother with that.

Modern gasoline vehicles are designed to start up and drive (Salt Lake City Weekly)

Steve, Host
  • dakota7dakota7 Member Posts: 1
    Would like to have a copy of that invoice,I am considering buying Sport 4runner.
  • simple_guy35msimple_guy35m Member Posts: 14
    I understand that X-REAS shocks provide safety and lessen body roll over.

I recently went in for a test drive. Found that SR5 ride is less harsh than SE. Is this true or just my perception.

Thanks
  • alohasurfer1alohasurfer1 Member Posts: 13
    would you get a pre-owned Land Cruiser 35K miles $32K or a new 4Runner Sport????
  • alohasurfer1alohasurfer1 Member Posts: 13
    ps...we currently own a nissan armada
  • olineoline Member Posts: 3
    Hi!

I am in the middle of a big mess and desperately seeking advice! The engine for my 1995 Toyota 4Runner SR5 4WD V6 110.000 miles recently overheated. I was able to drive it briefly and then had to push it to the nearby mechanic shop.

The next day, the mechanic informed me that the radiator which blew its cap needed to be replaced as well as the fan and thermostat which were working but due for replacememnt. However, upon performing the above repairs the mechanic (Mechanic #2) discovered that the previous mechanic (Mechanic #1) who had replaced the radiator in 6/04 had put too much water in the coolant which froze solid (I'm in Boston- brrrr!). According to mechanic #2 this subsequently damaged the 5th of my 6 cylinders. The radiator, thermostat and fan were replaced so that the car would run while I awaited a formal estimate for engine repair.

Upon calling the mechanic #1 back with further details of the damage, he agreed to replace the radiator as he had told me in a previous conversation but insisted that my car would be smoking excessively (which it's not) if there were cylinder damage and that the radiator issue would not cause cylinder damage. Mechanic #1 insisted that he was not responsible for the engine damage. I then had mechanic #2 call mechanic #1. According to mechanic #2, mechanic #1 was rude and insisted that he was not responsible. Mechanic #1 was gone when I tried to call him back.

In the interim, I don't feel safe driving my old car which is obviously not worth repairing and have located a used 2001 4Runner which I would like to purchase this weekend because it's a good deal.

Questions to you guys: Which mechanic is right? Could the frozen coolant/ radiator issue cause engine damage? How do I pursue this matter if mechanic #1 is indeed at fault? What measures do I need to take to prove this before getting rid of the old car?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I'm obviously stressed and tight on time given that I found exactly what I want in the "new" used 2001 4Runner.

Thanks and have a great weekend!
  • yanucciyanucci Member Posts: 1
    I live in VA Beach, does anyone know (or heard) about installing a 3rd seat in the back bed of a 4runner? Mine is a 1997 and I dont want to sell it for something else, it would be cheaper to spend a couple hundred to add a 3rd seat. I saw it done to a 80's FJ60 Landcruiser before. thanks
  • dawneedawnee Member Posts: 59
    To those of you who have purchased a 2005 4Runner, I have a question. I understand that they have made some improvements that make it ride better than previous 4Runners and that gas mileage is somewhat better on the 4WD models than previously.

Can anyone attest to this? I do not know where the friend who told me this got the info, could have been hearsay. That is why I am asking.

I really like the look of the 4Runner and all but was considering the Highlander just because of the gas mileage issue. I can't see getting 17 mpg when I can get 22 on a 4 cyl HL or 20 on a 6 cyl HL at the price gas is now.

Anybody with any insight, please respond. Does the new 4Runner get better than 17 mpg and does it ride smoother? Anyone who has researched and driven both vehicles, would love your input overall. I don't have to have 4wd as I live down South but 2wd will be totally useless with even a dusting of snow. That is why I would buy 4wd in a 4Runner for this reason.

Advice please????!!!
  • neumie2000neumie2000 Member Posts: 133
    I think you have clearly identified the differences between the Highlander and the 4Runner....the Highlander is basically a car with greater ground clearance...the 4Runner is a true truck. I have ridden in and driven the pre-2003 4Runner, and I currently own a 2004 4Runner. I can say without hesitation that the 2004 is far superior to that which it replaced. The ride is very good for a true SUV...the Highlander will be better though, without a doubt. As for gas mileage, I seem to be getting better than most. I opted for the V8 engine, and I have not been sorry. In the city I normally get 14-18...depending on the outside temperature, driving habits, etc. On the highway, I have gotten as much as 23 mpg, which I think is fantastic for the V8. 21-22 is the norm. I really don't think you can lose with either vehicle....both have bullet proof reliability...but based on my choice, I'm biased toward the 4Runner. Good luck!
    You might find a working link in the archived Aftermarket 3rd row seats for SUVs discussion.

Steve, Host
  • ohtomaohtoma Member Posts: 28
    Looks like another winner ...

http://automobilemag.com/reviews/suvs/0502_suv/
  • alotawattsalotawatts Member Posts: 44
    Can someone tell me where the coolant drain plug is on the block / 2001 SR5. For draining, my factory manual indicates the radiator drain plug with an arrow and another vague arrow pointing at the timing cover ??? huh ?

Thanks
  • alotawattsalotawatts Member Posts: 44
    I agree with neumie2000. The Highlander is based on a Camry frame. The 4Runner is (at least my 2001) a ladder frame /light truck. I'm approaching 28k miles with only one glitch which was a leaking differential gasket at aprox 20k miles. / warranty covered. I have to think this is unusual....just my luck.
  • cotmccotmc Member Posts: 1,081
    We just bought a 2005 4Runner. Our other car was a Lexus RX330, which is similar to the Highlander.

We also chose the 4Runner over the Highlander because my wife likes the look of it much more than the Highlander, both inside and out. I'm not certain, but I think the Highlander does not have A/C vents for the rear seats. If this is true, than I consider this to be a significant oversight on Toyota's part, as almost every other SUV provides cooling for the rear seat passengers. (This is a concern for us, living in Arizona!) If you want 3rd row seats, the Highlander's 3rd row seats are more functional than the 4Runner's.

The 4Runner rides more like a truck, but it still handles and rides comfortably well. My wife says it is much better to drive than her friend's new Explorer. Our ride improved when we deflated the tire pressure down from the 43psi(!) which the tires were originally inflated at the dealer.

I disagree about the 2WD 4Runner being totally useless in a "dusting of snow". The '05 models now come with a limited slip rear differential. More importantly, they come standard with traction control and stability control. I have seen arguments both ways, but my personal feeling is this helps significantly improve traction on slick or lightly dusted roads. As long as the tires have a good tread on them, I don't see a problem. Don't get me wrong -- I agree 4WD provides the additional traction that is necessary for deeper snow depths.
  • dmac3dmac3 Member Posts: 1
    For a truck-based vehicle the Runner rides quite well with its well damped suspension, but it's certainly not Avalon-like.

My 2005 4wd Runner with 1000 miles on the clock since purchase last week has averaged 21 mpg (calculated)in 2wd mode, with bias to hiway driving here on Cape Cod. Take the average mpg information panel read-out with a grain of salt: it appears to be 5-10% optimistic, although long periods between resets may improve accuracy.
  • love054rlove054r Member Posts: 1
    I have had my 05 SE 4Runner (V8) for about a week now - I tested the SR5 many times prior to purchase, I agree the SR5 seems to ride smoother. However, I picked the SE for 2 reasons, the X-REAS system and the larger diameter brake rotors. Form my experience, the SE handles more securely than the SR5 with much less body roll- also it seems to handle bumpy road surfaces better. Wife has a Lexus ES330 - I wanted my new car to be a Lexus - I was so pleased by ride quality and fit and finish of the 4Runner - No wander Lexus are so nice, all the goodies come from Toyota.
  • auburn94auburn94 Member Posts: 9
    I have ~3k on my 04 4wd SR5and average 17 mpg. I have not had the opportunity to take the truck on an interstate road trip. I preferred the 4Runner for the 4wd capability and find the ride incredibly smooth. I traded an 02 Accord and the ride is as good if not better. I have also owned a 95 Tacoma 4x4 and a 99 Explorer and the ride is far superior. I'm happy with my choice, think of your needs and you will be too because you can't go wrong with either vehicle.
  • novatradernovatrader Member Posts: 1
    What are the reasons to get a V8 versus a V6 4Runner?

I'm unlikely to tow anything like the 5000lbs towing capacity, just maybe a small fishing boat.

Does a V8 give you much more acceleration than the V6?

Most of my use will be long distance commuting, so the ability to rapidly accelerate in rush hour traffic is helpful.
  • simple_guy35msimple_guy35m Member Posts: 14
    Hi love054r,
    Thanks for the reply. Does SE handle bumpy rode surfaces better?
    Well... you may be right..but I thought the opposite is true. Meaning SR5 rides smoother becauze bumpy roads are handled softer, compared to SE. Please feel welcome to correct me.
    Have a nice weekend
    Today, I needed to hit the accelerator hard while entering I-95 while carrying 2 adults and a child and my 4Runner V6 performed beautifully in its responce. For daily commuting, you will not need a V8. Test drive one and you will see.
  • newportfliernewportflier Member Posts: 2
    This is for anyone thinking about buying a 4Runner. I have owned a 4x4 4Runner since 1989 (230K miles)and recently bought an almost new 2004 SR5 4x2 from CarMax. Both are great and I encourage anyone looking for a dependable truck to think 4Runner. The new 4runner is very solid, fast, and almost too nice to be a "truck." Yes I was tempted by the v8, and the Limited almost got me but... I want a truck. Yesterday I tested my new 4Runner on flooded roads covered with mud, rocks, etc. with no problem. A 4x4 is nice but honestly in all the winter mountain driving and off road travels I did in my 89 it was clearance and good tires and not 4x4 that was critical. The new 4x2 with traction control should be fine for most people. Unlike in 19989, today you have many choices for what is now called an "SUV." Ask an owner, go 4Runner!