Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mitsubishi Lancer 2008 Paint Chips

Comments

• yvettecyvettec Member Posts: 16
    We are going insane! And the people at Mitsubishi ask you on the phone "Well, what would you like to happen here?". I told them I want this piece of crap out of my garage and I want my car back that I traded in on their POS! I have already contacted an attorney and they are very interested in what the manufacturer does for us. If the matter is not handled I assure you there will be recourse. It is so disappointing to see a foreign car manufacturer not taking this matter seriously, especially with the current status of American car manufacturers. I was shocked to see all of these posts.
  • slider12slider12 Member Posts: 15
    I'm starting to feel the same way. Who the heck want's a new car that's already had to be re painted, a paint job I add that will more than likely be the same crappy paint as the first one, then can you imagine having to take it back a second time....a third time? I can understand if the car was in an accident and needed paint work, but it's never the same no matter how good of a job they do. I really regret this purchase. I'm getting info on class action lawsuits. The most difficult part as I see it, is getting the info out to owners of this car.
    My attorney told me to wait and see what they decide on. Mitsushitty has until the close of business today for the "caseworker" to call me. My husband just picked up the car yesterday from the dealer (again). He was livid because they washed it and it looks like they used a brillo pad! There are swirl marks all over it. We will not settle for a re-paint because of everything you just stated above, and why should we? The dealership just nods and says "uh huh" agreeing with everything we say. I am so sure they have seen this many times before! I am sick to my stomach just thinking about it. Oh, and the attorney I am working with ONLY does Class action lawsuits!
    ...well if you go the class action way...I'm in for a penny, in for a pound!
    "Granny" car or not (in my case) , we do not deserve this!
  • j_fifer_919j_fifer_919 Member Posts: 12
    I've been through all of this with my 08 Lancer. The dealership will do nothing. Mitsubishi will do nothing. I tried to use Mitsubishi's dispute resolution process and got nothing. They stated it has to be a warranty issue to use the resolution process. I even got in touch with the design engineer and he said road hazards are a problem (yours not ours). We have all been ripped off by this company. I spoke with an attorney and he told me we could win a case and get the car repainted. But that's it. Another crappy paint job and I would have to pay attorney fees. I just gave up and put rally armor mud flaps on along with a clear rock chip preventing material. The only option left is a class action lawsuit. I'm willing to bet that every one of the thousands of Lancer owners across the US will sign up for this. 25 grand well spent huh?
    We spent $37,000 on our EVO! I will NOT sit idly by and be ripped off! A $37,000 should not have paint problems! I have a turbo Subaru that is two years old with ONE paint chip. And my car is very fast too! There are no excuses for the manufacturers lack of care while designing the aesthetics of the vehicle. Would you believe that my dealership verbally told me that Mitsubishi did a "lighter" paint coat in the design of the vehicle? That is a crock of Sh*t! Skimping on the paint to lighten the load! We all seriously need to get together and DO SOMETHING! This is a WARRANTY ISSUE! My car has seen rain ONCE! Garage kept in a heated garage! Everyone around me drives in the SAME conditions and does not have this problem!
    Hey fifer 919....I checked out those Rally Armor flaps. Their website doesn't have the best pics in the world. A question...are those flaps contoured to conform to the fender or are they just flat sheets? I HATE mud flaps, the way they look and most of all... where I live they salt the daylights out of the roads in the winter Drilling several holes to mount one of those in that area of the car is a very bad idea. I realize in this situation installing them is probably the lesser of two evils.

On the "class action" thing I want to add that the dealers who sell these cars should also be included in any legal action. I am tired of buying a product from a dealer who gladly takes my money, and then when there's a problem, I'm forced to deal with the manufacturer on my own as they shrug their shoulders and blow me off. That my friends is just WRONG. I went through this years ago with an RV I bought. Eventually it came down to fighting their army of attorneys vs. just dumping the POS and taking a loss. Considering what my attorney fees would've been I traded it in and took it in the posterior. So yeah, I think these dealerships who are selling this faulty product, then treating their customers like idiots should feel a little pain on this one too.
    Thought you guys would appreciate this one. A direct quotation taken from ABC 7 News from a story they did on Mitsu paint issues in 06. This is Dan Irvin, Director of Corporate Communications & Public Relations:

"That said, we appreciate the support and patronage of these customers. And we stand behind our products by offering an extensive warranty: three years or 36,000 miles until 2004, and since then five years or 60,000 miles. That is our position at its most basic: If a customer has a paint issue while the warranty is in effect on their vehicle, it's covered.
    "Mitsubishi also runs a Customer Relations Department using a toll free number so customers can reach us to discuss vehicle issues. 888-MITSU2006, or 888-648-7820. Customers whose vehicles are no longer in the warranty period should call Customer Relations, who will discuss the issue with the customer, where appropriate arrange for the vehicle to be inspected, and will then discuss our findings.
    "We may determine, based upon the inspection and history of care and service of the vehicle that it is appropriate for us to extend some support to a customer whose vehicle is out of warranty. Many factors can affect the life of the paint on a vehicle that are unrelated to a paint quality issue. All of these factors play a role in how long the paint will last. These factors include, but are not limited to:

So it's a case-by-case determination if the vehicle is out of warranty. But within the warranty, there's no question that a paint issue would be covered.
  • paintchippaintchip Member Posts: 10
    I have an 08 Lancer GTS that I bought new and within 5 months of ownership the side skirts and rear doors looked like someone took a sand blaster to them. I could understand rock chips on the hood...but the sides of the car? I live in the city but you'd think I drove it sideways down a gravel road everyday.

I took it to the dealer who totally agreed with me that this was a problem with the cars design and paint and that the manufacturer should fix the problem. The fix would involve repainting the sides of the car and installing deflectors on the front wheel wells. Cost would be about $300.

The dealer called Mitsubeshity who basically told me to go **** myself and that if I wanted it fixed I'd have to pay for it out of my pocket. Their reasoning? I was "driving it on roads it wasn't designed for." I live in a rather clean city with pretty decent roads and it's never even been driven through grass let alone gravel. Just what kind of roads was it designed for?

Maybe I'm being unreasonable to think that I shouldn't be having to repaint a new car that's never been wrecked and is garage kept.

I would love to see a class action suit brought against Mistubeshity about this crap they call paint on their cars and I would sign up at the drop of a hat.
    Well I am glad you feel that way, because that time is coming! I am already in touch with an attorney that is talking to her partners about us and a class action. FYI, there is no cost for us involved out of pocket as the firm assumes all up front costs. BTW...Mitsu told us that our car chipping was due to road conditions too. The resolution team said they looked at our car......I called my dealer the next morning and they informed me they had not even sent them any information yet! So they made their ultimate decision ON NOTHING, SIGHT UNSEEN! Imagine that!

My body guy PUT IN WRITING that the car has a design flaw, but the cause is NOT ENOUGH ANTI-CHIP ADDITIVE IN THE PAINT! He said that we should check and see if our vin's were close together. I do not know how to do that. I am thinking that someone was smoking crack the day they sprayed all of our cars. What do you think? LOL

Our car had a little over 2800 miles when we brought it in. I have three pages of documented calls with mitsu and my dealer.

We will be working on this for the near future. Any interested parties need to let me know. I tried to post my number on here, but out of respect they removed the posting which I understand. Can someone please explain to me though how to enable people with this issue to get in touch with me? I would appreciate it.

THEY WILL GO DOWN!!!

Yvette
    I wonder if you can PM members with your email address or your attorney's information?
    I don't know. I live in the Chicago burbs, and I got in touch with an attorney for advice on how to handle this situation before I even dealt with mitsu & the dealer. After reading all of the posts and knowing going into this they would not help, I thought it would be the best thing to do. She has been calling me step by step and advised me if her firm will not help us she will put me in touch with a firm that will. There are too many of us having this intermittent problem. It's not every car. My dealer told me flat out they have seen three cases already. Maybe when our forum people read this, they can write me and let me know how to let people contact me. I have no problem with people calling me as I am in Sales and get calls constantly anyhow. I just want to help everyone, if they want the help. It will take all of us. Class actions usually have a minimum of 100 cases.....If we are going to do this, we need to unite.

Yvette
    As I said...I'm in. My dealer has blown me off. My 09 Lancer looks like crap. I'm pissed and want vengeance!
    Go to my carspace page. Check out my profile.
    Hello -

We are avid Fox Chicago viewers that need your help. We purchased a Mitsubishi Lancer EVO, a very fast sportscar, in November from a local dealership. It currently has under 3000 miles on it. Upon waxing it a couple of weeks back, my hubby noticed 60-70 chips in the paint! We contacted the dealer and followed the motions. We were told by the Mitsubishi Corporate Resolution team that they viewed our pictures, and that the chipping is caused by "road hazards". Come to find that our dealership had not even sent in our information yet! Sight unseen, they made a decision! Upon google searching the topic, we found we are not alone! And...everyone is being told the same by the manufacturer..."Not Under Warranty".

They have a serious problem and will not acknowledge it. We need this aired out! I did not spend $37000 on a car to see it RUST in a year. Please help us and hundreds (maybe thousands) of others!

We know you can do it! We watch your show! Lots of people invested money in their cars to have the finishes fail! All over America!

If it were you, you would want justice. ABC 7 San Francisco did an excerpt in 2006 for the same thing! And Dan Irvin of Mitsubishi stated to them that it would be covered if it was defective. They still aren't helping anyone in 09!

PLEASE AIR THIS. I HAVE EVERYTHING DOCUMENTED.

Thanks in Advance,

Yvette Calandra
    Yesterday, you were sent an email from Yvette Calandra concerning paint problems with 08 and up Mitsubishi Lancers. She asked that you aire the story.

I would like to see the story aired over the entire Fox network as this is a problem affecting these cars nationwide. Mitsubishi knows all about it but will not do anything.

I was told that the sides of my new car looked sand blasted because I was "driving it on roads it wasn't designed for". I live in a rather clean city that has decent roads and is in a moderate climate that doen't require tons of salt. The car is garage kept and has never been driven in grass let alone gravel. If the car was not designed for these "road conditions" exactly what kind of roads was it designed for? My guess is not any that are on this planet.

Mitsubishi seems to think that America is full of idiots and that they can pass off garbage here with no consequences. The American public needs to know this and show them they are WRONG.

Please aire the story...and aire it nationwide if possible.

Thanks.

James Anderson
    Nice! Your post just made my day! Glad to see someone else out there taking action too!

Yvette
    My husband just got off the phone with Mitsubishi Corp. It is an "Industry mystery" as to what paint they use on our cars, and the maker of the anti-chip additive is unknown too!
    Gee, maybe we should call Crayola since I think that is who sprayed our cars!

And the dealership hung up on my husband. Isn't this nice?

Oh, and the best part.....our EVO is about to become a driving billboard of the lack of quality that Mitsubishi has. Our neighbor designs car wraps!
    LOL! I'm seeing a car wrap that's something in the way of yellow and fruity looking
    :lemon:

...perhaps with their logo all chipped up. :o)

PLEASE post pics if you do that!
    Perhaps if everyone that reads this thread sends an email to Fox Chicago then maybe they'll be more inclined to cover the story...perhaps even on a national level.
    It will read something like" My paint is chipping off! Please help me Mitsubishi!" and "Do not buy from Libertyville Mitsubishi. They don't care about their customers or cars like me!" or, "Mitsubishi sells LEMONS! Touch me and my paint will come off! I had to double-bag it to stop it!" LOL. Any ideas are welcome. He is giving us a cost for the hood, both the side panels, and also the back window in a transparent wrap. Just the areas that ARE chipping and are most visible. And the beauty of the wrapping is it actually lasts 5 years! Better then my paint job I have on the car! And.....it may stop CHIPPING! Gosh, $37,000 on a car to deal with this!

Yvette
    As far as the contact the media angle....the problem I have is that the dealer I bought my car from is one of these mega-plex outfits that has every brand under their umbrella and they advertise HUGE in all of the local media markets. So as one can imagine, there's going to be little enthusiasm to slay one of their cash cows.

I am pursuing legal action on my own. I will post results.
    Hey Slider -

I tried to respond to the e-mail you had sent me from the carspace, and it said you are not accepting outside e-mails. ??? I have no clue how to re-navigate.

Yeah, we have the same problem. The gentleman that owns the dealer we bought our car from owns 40 dealerships! That is why we are not going after the dealer, we are going after the Corporation. It really is not the dealerships fault. Though they are not being pro-active and helping us, we cannot pin the blame on them. They did not build the car, or paint it....

I am still working on the class action. I heard from the firm yesterday and it is still in the works. Class actions need at least 100 cases. Pursuing this on your own will cost a lot of out-of-pocket expenses and in the long run only get you a new paint job on a brand new car. You will also have to pay attorney fees. If you can afford that I have nothing but encouragement for you. I stand behind you 100%. We will need you though if you like the idea of the class action. I have talked to several other people, and the more will be the merrier. Please post your outcomes with this on a personal and individual level. I look forward to reading them.
  • lostaunlostaun Member Posts: 3
    THIS HAPPENED TO ME TOO!!!! 2009 LANCER ES WITH UNDER 5,000 MILES? this is not the kind of money i want to spend to have a crappy looking car in less 6 months of owning it. i got a $1,500 estimate to fix and was also told about mud flaps and plastic? what the heck? at my dealership three other mitsubishi vehicles were brought in with the same problems and then when we asked for the other people's info, we were told that they had already got rid of the numbers and names....bull! this is crap. strength in numbers. anybody else have this problem that actually wants to do something about it? what do we have to do to get some justice here?
    Please read all of my posts. My car is an EVO...with less miles then yours! I am working with an attorney on a class action. We need everyone to get together on this.

Yvette
    oh man that sucks. i am so in! when i read the first post i was in a hurry to write my part and didnt even realize that there was 70 sum other posts...my dad was talking to someone from better business bureau and was told that they cant really do much because mitsubishi mostly isn't in america or somethin like that and blah blah blah so dead end there i think...yvette...what you got in mind?
    Well - I had a neighbor come over last night who gave me an estimate on wrapping the portions of our car that are seeing the chipping effect the worst. He is going to do it for a very reasonable price. The car will be wrapped in a flat black (to match the front end of the EVO), but the back window is going to read "Is your paint chipping too? Call....and my phone number!" I will post a pic for those are interested when it is complete!

I am still working with a high end Class Action attorney here in Chicago. These things take time. I also filed a complaint form with consumeraffairs.com. That post should be up soon, and I recommend everyone that is upset about their cars do the same. Doubt it will help, but at least people will know of our problem!

We got our letter from mitsu yesterday telling us (again) that their defective paint is not under warranty. Lovely.
    awesome! i love it when you fall in love with something and it becomes your pride and joy and then bam after you wash your car one day after the snow is gone you realize this looks like sh**! its almost embarassing to drive that car around now. yvette...what do you think we will accomplish? do you think we will get anywhere with this topic or should i strongly urge (haha) my dealer to let me trade my car....
  • cbull25cbull25 Member Posts: 2
    I can't believe this! I just washed and waxed my 09 Lancer yesterday and was instantly sick to my stomach. The pain chips on the back end are REDICULIOUS! I searched to see if this was a common problem and found all of you. The dealership where I bought the car said they have never heard of this problem. I find this hard to believe after what mine looks like after 6 months. I haven't taken it in yet, but after reading these posts am not hopeful that I will get results. I'm thinking very seriously about getting rid of this vehicle and advising everyone I know to beware of Mitsubishi paint. What a bummer because I LOVE this car! :cry:
    cbull, I feel your pain. I traded an '02 Lancer in for my '09 because of the trouble free miles I had with it. I put well over 100,000 miles on that car. It was one of the best cars I've owned as far easy, inexpensive and hassle free transportation. I like, yes "like" my new Lancer. The styling is way better, but aside from the obvious paint concerns, there are a few things I liked better about my old Lancer. I digress...there are two new Lancer owners here on my road. I've stopped and talked to both. Both have similar problems. I felt bad, because one guy had just bought his in late winter and hadn't really noticed what was happening to his rear quarter panels right in front of his wheels. When I pointed it out and showed him mine which is at a more advanced stage of deterioration he was very upset as you can understand. My main point here is that everyone who's posted here has got pretty much the same response from the dealer..."whaaaa, you're the first one we've had a complaint from blah blah blaaaaaah" what a load of crap. I am seriously looking at ways to unload my car before I have to subject it's poorly formulated paint to another winter. I will pay dearly to do so. As usual, the consumer takes it in the posterior. Where's Ralph Nader when you need him?!
  • j_fifer_919j_fifer_919 Member Posts: 12
    Hi everybody. I spoke with the attorney today and she said they are very busy at the moment. They will present the case to one of the partners in the law firm and get back to me. Hurry up and wait I guess.

I went to the dealership yesterday to show my car the the mitsu warranty rep about my fading "carbon fiber" trim. He tried to say I put some chemical on the trim that caused it to discolor. I told him no chemicals have been placed on the trim and it was due to sun damage. We then looked at every lancer on the lot and all of them except for the brand new lancers had fading trim. The rep told me he would replace the trim one time out of a "good faith gesture". I guess my bumper to bumper warranty has nothing to do with defects in craftsmanship. I also asked him if mitsu will be doing anything with the paint problems. He said "what paint problems". I told him the paint flies off the car when it is driven on this planet. He said they have been having rock chip issues which is a road hazard and I should not be driving the car on those types of roads with sand. Jerk. He then went on to tell me that "You have unrealistic expectations of a production vehicle". I almost lost it.

I forwarded all of this info the lawyer today. She was very surprised to hear all of this and placed the info in our file.
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    The CarSpace forums may not be used to solicit others for class action suits. I am sorry, but posts that include those kinds of requests have to be removed.
  • capoo86capoo86 Member Posts: 1
    I have the same problem with the paint being chipped off in front of the back tire of my 08 Lancer. I have been through the local dealership here to try and get it taken care of but they just told me that it was not their problem and that I was going to have to get it fixed elswhere.

The whole reason that I bought a new car and not a used one was because I didnt think that I would have to worry about things like this for a while. I was sure wrong. Hopefully if enough of us complain then we can get them to do something about it. I mean, who wants to pay 1000 to 2000 dollars more after they just bought the car?
    I feel your pain. MY 09 is now starting to rust . My car is 10 months old. I'm dissappointed and disgusted. I wish I could just return it for a full refund and buy another brand.
  • vladefanvladefan Member Posts: 1
    I can't believe that this many people are having the same problem.But now I'm glad that its not just me.My dealer told me the exact same thing as you guys and they said that there is nothing they can do about it.I thought about the class action suit like some of you guys but from the looks of it the suit will cost me more in the long run than it would be just to trade it in and eat the trade in cost.You guys that do have suits let us know how they are going.I have an 09 GTS that is doing the same thing as everyone elses.
  • icehouse08icehouse08 Member Posts: 1
    I own a red 08 Lancer GTS and the same thing is happening to my car. The paint is chipping off in front of the rear tires. This started less than a month after I bought the car. I've had it over a year now and it's just getting worse. The whole reason I bought a new car is so I wouldn't have to worry about things like this. I try to wax it all the time but it doesn't really help. It's just a matter of time before I start seeing rust. Does anyone know of anything that could help bring back the look? Or at least protect it form getting worse?
  • psychogunpsychogun Member Posts: 129
    Before I begin, I apologize for posting a link to another forum. However, this will hopefully help some of the members that are having the paint chipping issue.

Please do note that the thread is for Lancer Evolution X's, not for the regular Lancers (which appear to have a much lower incidence of the paint issue). None the less, the same fixes can be applied to protect the regular Lancers.

http://forums.evolutionm.net/evo-x-general/330128-evo-x-official-paint-issues-pr- oblems-thread-merge.html

Hope this is helpful.
  • ivettivett Member Posts: 2
    I see you have a suit going on against Mitsubishi. I'm from Canada, but own a 2008 outlander and the paint is trashed on it. The local dealersip is run by a teenager who doesn't give a flying f about the fact that i paid 34000 for that car. he won't get the paint fixed. i was wondering if there is a way to get in on this suit. please let me know thanks.
  • iluvmysephia1iluvmysephia1 Member Posts: 7,704
    I am really sorry you are having nasty paint issues with your Mitsubishi Outlander. But I've got to know, is your Mitsu's dealer really run by a teenager? :shades:

2021 Kia Soul LX 6-speed stick

• cbull25cbull25 Member Posts: 2
    Hi all,
    I FEEL YOUR PAIN! I bought an 09 Lancer GTS in July of 08 and (even though it never left the garage this winter) it started to rust on the rear quarter panels and rear doors these last few months. I went to multiple Mitsu dealerships in which managers told me it was a design flaw that Mitsubishi was not acknowledging and they could do nothing about. I understand dealerships not wanting to do anything and putting the blame on Mitsu... BUT IF YOU'RE GOING TO SELL A PRODUCT YOU SHOULD BACK IT!!!!! If you know there is a problem, why is the #@$% are you still selling a defective vehicle. Grrrr... I decided it wasn't worth the headache and unloaded my Lancer. I purchased a 09 VW Tiguan which actually makes the Lancer seem silly! The Lancer, which I absolutely loved, now seems like a toy car. So thank you Mitsu for producing a crappy product or I may have missed our on some awesome German engineering!

I decided it wasn't worth the headache of fighting Mitsu when I knew I wasn't going to get anywhere. Although don't think I don't tell my story to anyone that will listen. Good Luck to those of you fighting the fight!
  • ysatysat Member Posts: 4
    yup my evo too has paint chips already am thinking of buying sparco mud flaps or rally armour mud flaps. did you try calling mitsubishi about it or informing the dealer about it
    count me in i also have alot of chip paint
    any progress from mitsubishi i got alot too ill give them a call tomorrow :mad:
  • ticklealliticklealli Member Posts: 1
    Hey I am disappointed to hear that this is still a problem with Lancers. I have an 03 OZ Rally that looks like someone dumped paint remover on it. After arguing with my dealership for over a year and being told that they will not fix it, I am finally paying out of pocket to have the car repainted. The clear has peeled off of the hood, sides, and doors. I was wondering how to get in on the class action suit? Any info is appreciated. Thanks
  • iluvmysephia1iluvmysephia1 Member Posts: 7,704
    addition to my '08 Lancer GTS' purchase package that's called Auto Butler. Every 6 months I drive it 209 miles NW to Avondale, AZ, which is 9 miles west of Phoenix, where my wife and I bought our Lancer in March of 2007. They put a paint protectant on it and a wax. I've had this treatment done 4 times so far. I believe this program goes on for 5 years. It's worth every penny, IIRC it cost $400, which was written up right on purchase day, along with the cost of hooking up our Lancer's alarm system. I have a grand total of two paint flecks (right above both rear wheels) that I can detail right back in with my $9.95 Mitsubishi Rally Red paint stick. This paint stick has a paint side and a clearcoat protectant side. I have a couple other little paint nicks on the car's hood that I can touch with the stick to cover them.

But we live in the hicksticks of SE Arizona and often go on gravel roads and we're not picking up paint flecks, I would think that would mean that the Auto Butler treatment every 6 months is working.

2021 Kia Soul LX 6-speed stick

I just picked up my '09 Lancer from the dealer. It took time, but patients payed off. They re painted the areas in front of the rear wheels and installed a 3M kit that was developed by Mitsubishi. It looks good, I can't complain. I just hope it holds up through the seasons. We shall see. So people, if you're being told by your dealer that there's no recourse, then they're selling you a bridge. Mitsubishi is aware of this issue and is fixing it. They've done several repairs already at my dealership.
  • lancerfanlancerfan Member Posts: 17
    I bought my 09 lancer in July of 2008 and after one year i am also having problems with paint chips. My paint is coming off on the sides only of the car. When i bought the i told the salesman that i had heard alot about paint chipping off on the sides and then he admited they were having some issues. They installed some clear tape like stuff ontop of the paint just behind the front wheel and infront of the back wheel where the trim off the body flares out. I don't get chips there but am now seeing chips on the doors. I do drive on gravel quite often though
    Sounds like you got the same fix that I did. I hope it corrects the problem in those areas. I too am concerned about paint on the rest of the car. My wife has a Honda. We park side by side in the driveway. I noticed some crap from the maple trees on our cars. Like little brown dots. They washed right off her car, but are etched into the paint of mine. It's like they burnt right through the finish. I fear this car and it's paint are going to be a nightmare. Road conditions here in the NE are tough enough, even when a car is painted properly, factor in a sub-par finish and I doubt by the time I pay this thing off, there will be much left. I buy new or low mile vehicles and drive them into the ground.
  • fatmike579fatmike579 Member Posts: 1
    Hi Slider, I got mine repaired but they didn't repainted it. They filled the chips. It's a nice job far from perfect. Better looking then before. And now with the 3m it should help.

What did they do on yours? Repainted or filled the chips?

Thanks