Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Toyota 4Runner

Comments

• Options
    cotmccotmc Member Posts: 1,081
    I have a new 4Runner with the base 6-speaker audio system. I'm a little disappointed with the sound quality. The front sounds a little hollow, and the rear speakers seem rather boomy/muddy. I am thinking about keeping the stock head unit and replacing the speakers. I read somewhere that these 4Runner stock speakers have their own custom mounting brackets. Any replacement speakers will require new brackets.

Has anyone replaced their front and/or rear door speakers? Was it worth the effort? Any recommendations? Thanks!!
  • Options
    wxworkswxworks Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2003 SR5 & my trip computer is always under estimating mileage.
    I have tracked my mileage since new & average 19 on an interstate but for local driving (near Pittsburgh) a 7 mile ( 5 traffic lights)trip to work gets me 14.7 in winter, and 16.5 in summer.
  • Options
    jr1jr1 Member Posts: 9
    Have a 2005 4runner, sr5, rwd, v6. less than 500 miles, the rear wiper goes out and have to be replaced. Has anyone had similiar problems with the 2005 4runner?
    The V6 is peppy and handling nice.It has all the safety air bags, etc. It needs more cargo room.
    But it is too much money for vehicle with so few options.You should get more than 4 wheels and a engine for their prices. Not enough leg room up front, need powerseats, telescopic steering wheel, climate controls can be improved, can be confusing at first. better rear view mirror choices. You should not have to buy the top of the line to get options that other manufacturers put in base line models.
  • Options
    neumie2000neumie2000 Member Posts: 133
    I have a 2004 SR5, V8, with no rear window wiper problems. I have to totally disagree with your "I should get more for my money" argument. The standard 4WD 4Runner comes with automatic ignition, automatic temperature control, VSC, downhill assist, an automatic rollback feature and more. I owned a 2003 Ford Explorer XLS and it came with none of the above (far less standard for virtually the same sticker price). I too wish the 4Runner had more rear seat legroom and more cargo capacity...I guess you have to upgrade to the Sequioa to get that, however. Just my 2 cents.
  • Options
    jjenkensjjenkens Member Posts: 26
    Don't get me wrong.. I absolutely LOVE my 4Runner. I've had it a year now, and it's an awesome piece of work.. haven't had a single problem with it, not one! But while up in Colorado recently, I had problems several times with it automatically doing the slippage thing on me. What I mean is, if I'm in a small bank of snow or mud, or on any ground that is slippery, instead of being able to power up and kinda spin the tires and work the vehicle up and out of the area.. it does that clicking sound, as (I'm guessing) the differential gives way until you regain traction. I believe they put that in place to detect and account for things like hydroplaning. But when you're in a vehicle like this (and you're using it to it's capabilities), you're going to find yourself in less than desirable off-road conditions from time to time. I live in Dallas, so I didn't really feel like I needed a 4WD.. and a 2WD would be fine if it just didn't give way when I'm trying to power up when the wheels can't catch traction. So my question is.. is there a way I can disable this function? If so, would I just lose out on that auto-detection of slippage, or would I be sacrificing some other major functionality? I found it pretty embarrassing when I was stuck in a small amount of snow, and I can't generate the HP to rock it back and forth and up and out of a hole or small snowbank. And the sound it makes inside the car always gets a "Whoa, what is that? That sounds terrible." comment out of any passenger. Thanks for any help on this!
  • Options
    strat71strat71 Member Posts: 1
    I absolutely love my 2005 4runner but I really
    want to hard wire my i pod mini to the stock radio, I have a found a device that will enable
    me to do this but I need to get behind the stock
    radio... so my question is has anyone taken apart the dash...
    or is there a way to get a schematic from toyota
    so I don't screw up my favorite toy?
    any input is most appreciated
  • Options
    Please understand, I am no expert in working on car radios. That being said, if you only need to access the inputs on the back of the factory radio, you should not need to take the dash apart at all. Your local Circuit City should have the necessary tool to simply pop the radio out of the dash board without removing any dash panels. I would check with them, they will likely do it for you with little or no cost.
  • Options
    Has nobody here changed out any speakers in a 2003-2005 4Runner? Appreciate any input...
  • Options
    simbahsimbah Member Posts: 9
    I had my valet key (grey) stolen from my 03 runner. I am looking for some advise as to next steps to take. I was told by dealer that I can have my master keys re-programmed to prevent valet key from starting car. However I believe that the valet key can still open the driver side door and trunk. Would I need to replace the lockset and thus have new keys mades?

As I can't get into the dealer for a few days..I was told that the valet key only allows truck to be driven for limited distance..is this true? As I have no garage I am a bit worried, and hate to have to sleep with one eye on the vehicle at night.
    Any advise/experienced info on this would be greatly appreciated.

Thx,
    Simbah
  • Options
    shtirlitzshtirlitz Member Posts: 14
    >I have a 2003 SR5 & my trip computer is always >under estimating mileage.
    >I have tracked my mileage since new & average 19 >on an interstate but for local driving (near >Pittsburgh) a 7 mile ( 5 traffic lights)trip to >work gets me 14.7 in winter, and 16.5 in summer.

D-u-u-de!!! This may be the only honest trip computer anybody owning an SUV ever reported on Edmunds :)
  • Options
    alotawattsalotawatts Member Posts: 44
    Found it. right side of block.
    Thanking my self
  • Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Glad we could help . Was it really where your factory manual said it was then?

Steve, Host
  • Options
    allen42allen42 Member Posts: 12
    Can a toyota service dept. change anything in the on board computer, such as the timing?.
  • Options
    tangmantangman Member Posts: 127
    Does the new 2004/5 4-Runner have a water repellent windshield? Can someone cite a toyota reference to it. I have seen reviews that say it does.
  • Options
    txaudtxaud Member Posts: 6
    I have multiple rock chips on my '03 4runner windshield. I have read in the msg board that others are having similar problems with what seems to be weak glass. Has anyone talked with their dealership or Toyota directly about this?
  • Options
    jager32jager32 Member Posts: 15
    I'm looking at getting a 4 runner. My personal preference for interior color is black, because I think it hides the dirt the best. But only grey and tan are available.

Any opinions on which would show dirt, stains etc.. less?

Thanks
  • Options
    auburn94auburn94 Member Posts: 9
    Hi All,

Has anyone had any experience changing out the head unit and speakers in their current generation 4Runner? I would like to change mine but do not want to do any modification in the doors and I do not want to loose the volume and channel controls on the steering wheel. Thanks!!
  • Options
    simbahsimbah Member Posts: 9
    I had (have) a similiar issue when I first purchased my 03 runner in late 02. I had a rock hit and create a small 'bullseye' on the lower driverside windshield within first month. I have done nothing since and the bullseye has not increased or spread since this occurred (and this is through 3 north east winters). I have had quite alot of small 'dings' or chips in the windshield that are barely noticeable since then.

Actually I initially had the same issue on my prior 99 4runner, but I ended up adding a front hood wind deflector after talking to a current owner at that time which I believed helped alot with bugs and small pebbles/rocks damaging hood or windshield.
  • Options
    polartoypolartoy Member Posts: 18
    I have a 2003 4 runner, going on fourth windshield at 90,000 km. It is very fragile and expensive. Good thing for comprehensive insurance.
    Polartoy
  • Options
    kevink32kevink32 Member Posts: 5
    Just placed an order for my 2005 4Runner Sport; comes in about a week. Anyways, I opted for the stock toyota stereo due to the fact that I want to put my own stereo components into the vehicle. The question is, does anyone have any experience with changing out the stock stereo for an aftermarket one. My plan is to replace the stock unit with an aftermarket Double-DIN Stereo. I have measured the slot that's in the 4RUNNER, and it seems to measure 4" by 8". From what I've read, the Double-DIN aftermarket recievers measure around 4" by 7". I'm wondering if the slot behind the stock stereo is actually a Double-DIN opening with the correct dimensions, or if some sort of mounting kit will be needed to make this fit. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for any help.....
  • Options
    rsailorrsailor Member Posts: 1
    Hi,
    I'm choosing between Highlander and 4Runner (and couple others :) and can't find solid info on differences between US and Canada's versions of 4Runner 2005. Does Canada's one have 3rd row and Nav system options? Does it have same Limited trim as US one? Toyota's site says nothing about 3rd row and nav for 4Runner :(
    Thanx!
  • Options
    With nobody responding to my two questions regarding speakers, I figured there might be a lack of knowledge in this area. I just recently had the stock speakers replaced in my '05 4Runner SR5, and I can share some of this new-found information with everyone. Perhaps this will assist others, such as auburn94?

First of all, don't be fooled by some of the audio and appliance store chains, such as Circuit City or Best Buy. They were indicating the front door speakers are round 6.5" speakers. Both indicate 6x9 speakers will not fit. Wrong!

For the stock stereo, the front door speakers are 6x9 dual-cones. The rear door speakers are 6.5 single cones. That's correct! For the rear channel, Toyota is attempting to drive the entire audio frequency spectrum thru a single paper cone! Needless to say, Toyota probably pays less than $25 total for all four of these speakers.

I went to an independent shop that a friend recommended. I was nervous about attempting to remove the door panels on my own. If I wasn't so lazy, I probably would have purchased a repair manual from an auto parts store and considered doing the work myself. But, I was lazy.

Anyway, this shop installed an MB Quart 6x9 reference component system in the front, and a pair of Alpine 6.5 coaxials in the rear (with directional tweeters). By the way, I should probably mention that these 6x9 speakers are NOT shallow. They are relatively deep. I don't know the depth, off-hand, but let's just say I wouldn't worry about speaker depth when choosing speakers for the front doors.

I did not replace or modify the stock head unit. The manager at the shop assured me the stock head unit has amps which are capable of driving these speakers. Based on what I am now hearing, I tend to agree.

Well, the sound is night-and-day better than the stock speakers! Even my wife, who isn't into audio, thinks there is no comparison. The sound is tighter, deeper, smoother..., with much more detail. The MB Quart speakers were quite expensive, but they provide extensive detail and smoothness; and they definitely excel at the mid frequencies.
  • Options
    wrenchspin2wrenchspin2 Member Posts: 37
    Just got the truck and like'in it! Whenever I get a new car/truck I always immed read the owner manual pretty thoroughly. Do my eyes deceive me or is there basically no info in this book on maint for the owner to 'do-it-yourself'? Did I perhaps read so fast (hey I'm excited over my new truck) that I missed the info? Such as changing the oil, do I have to drop skid plate(s) or is there an access hole? Where's the darn dipstick to check the autotrans fluid (diagrams only show the location of the oil dipstick!!)?
    How do I reset the oil maint reminder light?
    I haven't gotten under the truck yet for a look at things (its only 18 degrees outside tonight)thought I'd post my questions here since this board has been great in the past with help/info from folks. Any maint tidbits (such as changing oil/filter)that you can share from your experiences I'd appreciate. Thank you!
  • Options
    nikiblue1nikiblue1 Member Posts: 44
    Has anyone installed the ipod2car in their 4runner?
    Any input? Pros/cons?
    Thanks
  • Options
    tcpoobtcpoob Member Posts: 30
    2005 4Runner SR5 V6 - wiper makes clicking sound in operation
    My new 4Runner's front windshield wiper makes a clicking noise at every
    sweep when it returns to the horizontal position. The sound is a little
    like the turn signal sound but lighter - still quite noticeable. You may not
    hear it driving on highway because of wind noise or having the audio
    volume at level 15+ .

Does this sound like a problem or is it just me? I wonder if it's worth a
    trip to the dealership service dept. Thanks.
  • Options
    tangmantangman Member Posts: 127
    Is the aftermarket windshields, when they claim are oem any better than the toyota windshield. My dealer blames the crack on very small chips at the edge of the windshield. I am just curious if others are having more durability with OEM glass rather then toyota. By the way, I contacted toyota who claims they do not have any documentation on water repellent glass even though it is stated in a number of 4-Runner reviews.
  • Options
    Not that this will make you feel any better, but my wipers make the exact same sound. I have not worried about, but perhaps changing the blades would help?
  • Options
    grimmsrunnergrimmsrunner Member Posts: 2
    I was wondering if anyone knew where I could find some ball joint spacers for 2nd gen 4Runners.
  • Options
    grimmsrunnergrimmsrunner Member Posts: 2
    Anyone know where I can get clear tail light lens here in the states, other than the UK?
  • Options
    djlandkpldjlandkpl Member Posts: 11
    The oil filter on the V6 is on top of the engine. The drain plug is accessed through a plastic panel that pops out on the skid plate.
  • Options
    rclinercline Member Posts: 5
    Hello all,
    I am looking at a 99 SR5 loaded 4x4 and was hoping to get some perspective about 4x4 vs 4x2.

I will be on construction sites, but don't really see myself going off-roading in places like I would've when I was younger.

Is 4x2 going to get me most places an ordinary construction worker would need to go?
    Thanks!
  • Options
    I actually saw some of those on ebay tonite!
  • Options
    91n01furrunna91n01furrunna Member Posts: 5
    Have a 2001 SR5. Want to add an aftermarket car alarm. Searched this site but didnt come up with much. Anyone have experience adding aftermarket alarm. Any recommendations. SR5 has keyless entry.
    Thanks
  • Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
  • Options
    indy4runnerindy4runner Member Posts: 2
    Bought a V6 Limited 4Runner last week and I couldn't be happier.

Does anyone have a suggestion for a brand of conventional (dino) motor oil to use? I used Castrol GTX in my Honda Accord...142K miles with no engine problems. Wondering what may work best in the SUV.

Thanks.
  • Options
    auburn94auburn94 Member Posts: 9
    thank you cotmc. A very helpful post and you probably just spent my tax return for me!!
  • Options
    wrenchspin2wrenchspin2 Member Posts: 37
    Indy4runner, you'll probably get varied opinions on this one! I've used conventional motor oil in various kinds of vehicles/engines (Chevelle SS, Alfa Romeo w/V6, Acura 3.2 HO, and GMC and Toyota trucks w/ V6's and V8's just to name a few). I've used mainly Castrol GTX and Pennzoil as my preference and sometimes Valvoline. Never had a problem. I used to run my Chevelle at the track and Alfa at driving schools. I would change the oil right after a days run before heading home. I had tried Quaker State once and it drained very watery/foamy, so I decided to stop using it.
    I think they have reformulated it since so not sure how it currently is.
    Advice is to use the correct viscosity and use the latest API rating (believe its currently SL)as they are always improving (even the dino oils have many additives/friction modifiers etc added into them). If I recall correctly, I think the last time Consumer Reports did a motor oil test using severe service taxi cabs, the overall findings were that the major name brand oils with the same API ratings basically performed the same, no wear was indicitive to using any certain brand.
  • Options
    indy4runnerindy4runner Member Posts: 2
    Great info...thanks, wrenchspin2
  • Options
    crystaldevacrystaldeva Member Posts: 1
    Can you sleep in the back of the new 4-runner comfortably?
    Crystal deva
  • Options
    91n01furrunna91n01furrunna Member Posts: 5
    Thanks Steve. Read all that. Bought a low end CodeAlarm today at Circuit City. $175. $100 for install and $75 for unit. Ill let you know how Circuit City does. There was an extra strange charge of $4.00 for tape???
  • Options
    mike39mike39 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2003 Limited. I have a similiar problem. Wondering if others have experienced it also.

Problem seems to be that the angle of the wiper blades to the windshield is to low leading to a lot of friction and subsequent sticking and chattering of the blades against the windshield

Most noticeable in light rain situations when there is more friction.

I noticed it during the first rainfall after I bought the vechicles. Thought it was just bad blades but after replacing problems continued.

Wondering if this poor Engineering or I just got stuck with one that is poorly calibrated???
  • Options
    kheintz1kheintz1 Member Posts: 213
    My '03 Limited's wipers did the same thing when the vehicle was new. It soon went away as the vehicle accumulated some miles, and I suspect the problem was due to some type of material or coating that may have been on the windshield.

That said, I also believe I hastened the elimination of this problem by (1) thoroughly washing the car using Zaino's products; (2) using Zaino's glass cleaning compound on the windshield; (3) periodically cleaning the wiper blades with isopropyl alcohol.
  • Options
    dolphin4dolphin4 Member Posts: 3
    I have a 2003 4Runner SR5. In the first 30,000 miles my car has had failures in four different door lock solenoids (drivers front door twice). Is anyone else having this problem or did the factory just have a bad run of product on the day they built mine?
  • Options
    nedzelnedzel Member Posts: 787
    I've got 25,000 miles on my 2003 4Runner. No lock failures at all. Only problem was my driver's side seat started squeaking. Dealer fixed that with a shot of grease.
  • Options
    slarryslarry Member Posts: 19
    I would not use isopropyl alcohol on the wiper blades. Use a detergent like DAWN, or just the car wash detergent. Alcohol dries out the rubber and causes them to "chatter" on the windshield because they are no longer pliable. I've read this on other forums that alcohol works well. It does clean the blades but shortens their life and makes them noiser.
  • Options
    kheintz1kheintz1 Member Posts: 213
    I replace my blades every 6 months, so I'm not concerned about the slight dessicating effects of the alcohol. Nothing else removes nasty road grime (which causes the blades to smear the glass) more effortlessly than a little isopropyl alcohol. In addition, I've yet to encounter chatter after wiping my blades with alcohol-- quite the opposite, in fact. Your mileage may vary.
  • Options
    tcpoobtcpoob Member Posts: 30
    2005 4Runner SR5 V6 4WD. weeks after picking up the
    vehicle, found the driver side door lock only turned
    clockwise (to open). It didn't turn backward (to
    lock the car). Dealer fixed it by ordering and
    replacing the lock cyclinder.
  • Options
    I'm buying a 99 4Runner SR5. The ONLY thing it doesn't have is a sunroof. I've heard some horror stories about leaks, whistling (wind) and rattling. Any experience here?
    Thank you.
  • Options
    grnwtrsgrnwtrs Member Posts: 13
    Hi all, I am a rookie on the board. Probably should have posted before now. I have a question of paint quality, and also the starter "grinding" even with the key released after the initiation.

The paint. Yesterday while washing the car. Whoops, I have a 2004 V-8 white,4X4 sport model. I noticed a speck of dirt below the passenger side rear tail light. I kept rubbing with the soaped brush, next thing I know, I have worn a 3 inch by 1/4 inch high mark to the fiber glass(black) body part. I stopped everything.

Next I inspected the lower part of the vehicle below the taillights moving to the forward part of the 4-Runner. I saw more black specks.

I stopped everything. I didn't want to cause anymore damage. I have used this same brush and washing materials, and techniques (if that is what you can call it) on other vehicles with no problems such as this.

Question I guess is: Has anybody else experienced this problem. Any chance the factory will help out. I love the vehicle, especially the V-8 DAC.
    Fit and finsh is good. But I don't want to have to concern myself with paint.

grnwtrs
  • Options
    canddmeyercanddmeyer Member Posts: 410
    I'm guessing you are seeing road tar. It's a pain to remove, even with the best materials. I'd live with it, and I wouldn't use that brush ever again.